7.6

1. Sep 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The third flavour in Edgar Wright’s Cornetto Trilogy is The World’s End, is a pub crawl set against the backdrop of the apocalypse, in a sci-fi farce that would make Douglas Adams proud. The setting recalls Shaun of the Dead (2004), which culminated in a mad dash to the pub amid a different world-end scenario, riffing hilariously on the classic zombie uprising. This plot sees five friends return to their home town of Newton Haven to complete The Golden Mile, a grand tour around the town’s twelve historic ale houses.

They’ve all come a long way since their school days. All that is, except one. Gary King (Simon Pegg) the instigator of this nostalgia trip has not moved on a day. The perpetual sunglasses and leather duster that made him the coolest dude in school twenty years ago are now the bedraggled clobber of a washed-up borderline alcoholic.

Where previously Pegg played the more driven character, with Nick Frost his stalwart, yet bumbling companion, in The World’s End, the roles are switched. Here, Pegg is still the lead, but the idle Gary King is much closer to his character in Edgar Wright’s sitcom Spaced. His old chum Andy (Nick Frost) is the complete antithesis, a successful lawyer, teetotal and married. The two have had a “frosty” relationship since school, if you’ll pardon the dreadful pun. Andy later comes to the forefront once conflicts begin, Dutch courage enabling him to become champion of bar-fu.

The laughter flows as quickly as the pints, with sharp and hilarious dialogue. The action is well choreographed by Brad Allen, a member of Jackie Chan’s famous stunt team who worked with Wright on Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010). Fans of Wright and his team will recognise the return of some frequent collaborators, well cast to enrich the experience.

The film is a masterpiece of conception, with strength is in its attention to detail (resist reading further if you want to avoid spoilers). Of note are the character names, which subtly reveal their group dynamic. Self-appointed leader Gary King, ambitious rival Steven Prince (Paddy Considine), dedicated combatant Andy Knightley, managerial city slicker Oliver Chamberlain (Martin Freeman) and the submissive Peter Page (Eddie Marsan). The larger group takes a while to develop, drawing the focus away from the familiar Pegg and Frost dynamic. They characters chew the fat over the first few drinks, but each gets their moment in the sun. The name and design of each pub has been elegantly constructed to reflect the events that take place there; some are more subtle than others, but the stops on The Golden Mile are certainly open to rich interpretation.

The perfectly generic Newton Haven was filmed amongst Hertfordshire’s garden cities (The UK’s first roundabout is indeed a real place in Letchworth). Thus the fictional town manages to represent the epitome of Britishness, but with an atypical vibe of city planning. For The World’s End is a comment on the homogeneity of modern British towns. A similar uniformity afflicted the cities of the world in Huxley’s Brave New World, and this is the ultimatum delivered by the mysterious intelligence behind the alien invasion, whose brutal utilitarianism seeks to bring humanity in line with the rest of the galaxy by any means necessary. After all, we are almost there already: what high street can be walked down in this country without encountering the same banks, the same coffee shops, the same clothes outlets, the same chains of restaurants and pubs.

The film also dissects nostalgia by drawing attention to our own selective memories. The soundtrack is full of the early 90s Britpop and alternative rock of Wright and Pegg’s youth, that defines Gary King’s philosophy. The gang’s first attempt at the mile, all those years ago, was an unfinished ramble of illness and conflict, participants dropping like flies as the evening progressed. Yet it is remembered as the perfect night, the culmination of a wonderful youth. The characters are later offered the chance of a return to this youth, the recollection of twenty years’ pedestrian adulthood polished to perfection by cutting out all the bad bits.

It’s a tall order to replicate the success of the Cornetto classics without retreading old ground, but The World’s End manages to keep moving in unexpected directions. This is a team that know what they are doing, and they have certainly approached it with a new ambition, striking gold once more. At heart, The World’s End is a bittersweet endorsement of humanity, celebrating not only our faults, but the individuality and freedoms that come with them. It also inspired me to indulge in a pub crawl of my own. So I, for one, will be raising a pint glass to The World’s End, as it heads towards its cataclysmic finale. I suggest you do, too.
  2. Sep 2, 2013
    One of the best comedy of 2013, Simon Pegg delivered an Oscar worthy acting along with his cast mates! The movie has lot of great humor, smart and original dialog, great characters. But there are some problems with pacing. But overall it's a must see
  3. BKM
    Sep 1, 2013
    Simon Pegg and Nick Frost team up once again with director Edgar Wright for the final film in their Cornetto Trilogy that began back in 2004 with Shaun of the Dead. While it's not quite on the same level as that uproarious classic, The World's End nevertheless serves as a satisfying finale to the series. A nice balance is struck between gut busting humor and more sobering themes including the uneasy transition into adulthood and the devastating affects of alcoholism. It's heavy but never heavy handed and one of the best comedies of 2013. Expand
  4. Sep 1, 2013
    The latest film from funny men Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Edger Wright is a great time with several big laughs thought The World's End falls short of it's predecessors. The same quick talking witty banter has a welcome return between Pegg and Frost but a surprisingly great supporting cast including the likes of Martin Freeman and Paddy Considine just adds to the enjoyment. I personal love the wok of Edger Wright and he hasn't yet made a bad film, I would even go as far as saying that Shaun of the Dead is one of the best British films ever made, and this film is no exception. The World's End might not be everyone's cup of tea as the film changes drastically around half way through and has a rather abrupt ending but if you enjoyed there previous films I am sure you will fine lots of enjoyment out of this one. Expand
  5. Sep 1, 2013
    Simon Pegg heads the group of 5 boyhood chums, who returns to their hometown 20 years later to complete a legendary 12-pub crawl. On their route, they discover that the town has changed in an ill-fated sci-fi way. This team of accomplished British actors creates an assured comic ensemble, led by Pegg's manic character. There aren't a lot of laff-out-loud moments, but there's plenty of good-natured, energetic fun. Add some entirely convincing special effects and clever physical action and you've got an entertaining romp thru a possessed English village. Expand
  6. Aug 31, 2013
    The World's End was amazing. I loved the sharp, witty dialogue and Simon Pegg really carries the whole movie with his odd, and somewhat unlikeable lead character. Edgar Wright delivers a fine ending to the Cornetto trilogy, and a great ending to summer.
  7. Aug 31, 2013
    I enjoyed the movie! It's funny and it does have the Cornetto trilogy feeling to it. Without a doubt, Nick Frost did a fantastic job playing his character, His best character he has played since Ed in Shaun of The Dead!

My only downside of the film was the ending, I thought it was bit pants. Most of the endings in the trilogy has a funny twist to it but this didn't but as I said, I have
    enjoyed the movie and will buy the blu-ray on release. Expand
  8. Aug 31, 2013
    Saw this flick last night. Have you all gone mad? Crass juvenile humor without any character development whatsoever, with a plot that would only appeal to teenagers. I love comedy and science fiction but this was just awful. Avoid at all costs.
  9. Aug 31, 2013
    This is as close to perfect as it gets. Even with its flaws, it does everything it sets out to do, and is everything that it is supposed to be. Few movies can say that. It ends the trilogy well.
  10. Aug 30, 2013
    Stupid, long, clever in a sophomoric way. "Let's make a mashup of two overdone concepts!" That's not clever, that's throwing darts. I should know better: whenever critics love all the filmic references in a movie, it's overrated the filmmaker made it for the critics, not for us.
  11. Aug 30, 2013
    Great Game! I am from Ukraine. Here is we play different staff like WOW, WOT, different kind of games... but this one makes me crazy Ubisoft creating best games... my point is 9
  12. Aug 30, 2013
    "The World's End" is a fun and humorous nod to the sic-fi genre depicting a group of friends attempting to do a pub crawl during an alien invasion. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are brilliant as always but I do have to take marks of for the inclusion of Rosamund Pike who just annoyed me throughout. The jokes and conversations in this film are funny and the ironic nature of the film in that Pegg and Frost don't drink in real life makes the film even more enjoyable.This is a solid film well worth paying to go and see. Expand
  13. Aug 30, 2013
    Is amazing. A genuine and satisfaying apocalypse of Wright. The humor is very intelligent, is a movie made by fans, for fans. Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, and Edgar Wright has been one of the biggest success stories of cinema of the last decade.
  14. Aug 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The World's End is an excellent conclusion to the "Cornetto trilogy". Following in the wake of the superb Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, The World's End faced a daunting task. It does take a little while to get going, it occasionally is a bit self-referential and getting used to Simon Pegg playing such an anti-hero took me a little while. These flaws aside, it is a fantastic film.

Taking five long dispersed friends back to the epic pub crawl they failed at as teenagers the film starts by introducing each character during meetings with Pegg's Gary King a crude, lying man-child quite unlike Shaun or Nicholas Angel. A long way from Scotty (Star Trek) and Benji (Mission Impossibles 3 & 4), King has stubbornly refused to grow up, remaining as an idle slouch whose friends have left him behind. It took me sometime to see the character beyond Pegg's normal positions (barring his excellent turn in criminally underrated gem Big Nothing), but felt richly rewarded once I could eventually embrace King's values, justifications and the hints of redemption. He is, arguably, Pegg's most impressive creation to date.

We are introduced individually to Oliver (Martin "Bilbo" Freeman), Peter (Eddie "Inspector Lestrade" Marsan), Steven (Paddie Considine) and finally Andy (Nick Frost). Frost was a revelation in this film. Far away from his sidekick role in the two previous films (and, to a lesser extent, "Paul") Andy is as serious a character as the film presents, the man who has probably moved the furthest (emotionally) from the child that Gary King grew up with. A series of increasingly desperate acts by the latter firmly driving Frost's character away, Frost manages to gain real sympathy from the audience during the film, though he also perhaps has the greatest moments of comedy during the action sequences (more on them shortly). It could be argued that Marsan and Freeman especially are underused in this film but, as with the preceding films the main relationship is that between Pegg's character and Frost's.

The spectacular (and increasingly ridiculous) action sequences are superbly choreographed both for exhilaration and laughs. Director Edgar Wright knows when to cause carnage and when to reel back; when to allow a moment for something to sink in and when to throw the kitchen sink in. Given his skills on Scott Pilgrim, Hot Fuzz and Shaun this is not perhaps a surprise. The fight scenes billow with twists and turns, blue blood spilling asunder and delightful usage of setting throughout the film. Observers may note that each pub is named after something that happens there.

It is, simply, a joy. The villains of the piece are the residents of the town. Body possession/cloning is a staple of the science fiction genre (in which this film is as rooted as Shaun was in horror) and is used to marvellous effect, including excellent supporting turns from David "Argus Filch" Bradley, Rosamund Pike and a stunning cameo from Pierce Brosnan. I won't spoil the ending, suffice to say it caught me completely by surprise.

I'd heartily recommend this film it takes its time to get going, but its as rewarding a cinematic experience as has been had in a long time. 9/10
  15. Aug 27, 2013
    Perfect ending for a perfect trilogy. Everyone from the past two movies ("Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz") have come back for an epic finale. This time, the main genre of the movie is sci-fi, and the story is pretty damn brilliant: it has a lot of hilarious moments (with Simon Pegg being the funniest in the whole movie), but also an emotional depth that I wasn't really expecting. Also, the action sequences feature great camera angles, and not dumb shaky-cam.
    I'm sad that this trilogy has come to an end. Wright, Pegg, Frost and the rest of the crew will always be in my heart, as protagonists of the best trilogy ever made!!
  16. pxl
    Aug 27, 2013
    A fantastic finale to The Cornetto Trilogy, altogether an enjoyable film, well done and thank you to Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. I'd say one of the best movies in the trilogy.
  17. Aug 26, 2013
    It's been years since the last instalment of the Cornetto trilogy and the final chapter is finally upon us and fortunately its just as good, if not better than the last.
    When Garry King (Simon Pegg) reassembles his gang of school friends for the golden mile, a bar crawl that consists of 12 pubs in his home town he doesn't realize that his home is no longer the same place he and his
    friends remember and it may well be dangerous to stay. The World's End isn't the conventional conclusion to a trilogy but this is no ordinary trilogy. Clearly attempting to bring some kind of resolution to the saga, the ending of the film is actually the worst part of the feature as it has very little to do with the actual film as well as being remarkably confusing. That being said, Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and director Edgar Wright prove that their blood and ice cream series are the pinnacle of modern British comedy. Filled with Wright's usual wit, The World's End is bloody good comedy with plenty of laugh out loud moments and hundreds of quotable lines as well as a rather moving finale that is ruined by a journey into the ridiculous with the final coda feeling tacked on and utterly pointless. The film takes its time ramping up to its main story so the beginning is light on jokes and heavy on exposition but as soon as the drinking starts its off to the races. The 2nd act is a blur of well directed action set pieces and wall to wall belly laughs as everything starts to hit the fan and the characters start coming into their own. It's quintessential British comedy that is pretty damn terrific in every aspect and has stand out performances from Pegg, Frost, Rosamund Pike and Paddy Considine.. Must watch British cinema. Expand
  18. Aug 26, 2013
    I would say that many of the moments are played too serious. I was really looking forward to this movie, but it wasn't as funny as I had hoped, and did not take advantage of the brilliant pub crawl concept. I would have liked different threats at each pub. Perhaps a two headed dog at The Two Headed Dog. Perhaps the characters caring less about the stakes, as they get drunker. Instead we get lots of repetitive action. Expand
  19. Aug 26, 2013
    This has some great chemistry from this veteran team. The skits are real clever also. It's just what could of been a great coming of age movie dissolves into a Dr.Who wannabe plot line. The story would of been better if it were written by the Spice Girls. I liked the special closure and happiness elements but the special effects were nothing special.
  20. Aug 26, 2013
    The World's End might sound more like a depressing disaster flick than a touching comedy-drama that explores the nuance of long-term friendships, but that is exactly what you get in this final installment of Edgar Wright's so-called Cornetto Trilogy. The film follows Simon Pegg's Gary King, along with his high school buddies, on his attempt to recapture his youth along a pub crawl destined to end at the titular World's End.

And the film starts out with that simple premise but allows itself to gain momentum to both scale to action-packed heights and descend to melodramatic valleys. Pegg sets off to his home town with his straight-laced buds (which includes an excellent Nick Frost and a perfectly uncomfortable Martin Freeman) to achieve the Golden Mile, a coveted 12 pint pub crawl. Once his doubtful friends begin to lose interest in following through with their weekend plans, all hell breaks loose as Pegg's King discovers that their boring childhood town has a disastrous secret behind its shiny veneer.

Wright's and Pegg's (and Frost's for that matter) penchant for movie tropes take center stage from here on out. The audience is treated to a combination of slapstick humor, sharp wit, beautifully choreographed hand-to-hand combat, horror movie suspense, and sci fi gloom and doom. All of this comes together to pinnacle not to a world-ending explosion, but to a thoughtful character revelation that brings two friends closer together than ever before (which nearly brought this reviewer to actual tears).

All in all, World's End comes close to recapturing the magic of Shaun of the Dead's first watch and reminds us of how awesome the shootouts were in Hot Fuzz but fizzles as a trilogy clincher. However, it does much to remind us that film CAN be fun without monstrous budgets or high-profile marketing campaigns.
  21. Aug 25, 2013
    The World's End is one of the best movies of the year. I loved Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz and this movie was incredible. Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg have created an incredible premise and executed it nearly flawlessly. "The 5 Musketeers" act brilliantly. The humor is clever, and well integrated into the film. The fight scenes are well choreographed and the situations the characters get themselves in keep me on the edge of my seat. The movie even made me tear up during a scene. Overall, it is one of the best movies of the year and I can only recommend it, especially if you enjoy Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. Expand
  22. Aug 25, 2013
    Overall fantastic movie. Easily the funniest, smartest, and saddest comedy of the year. A great conclusion to an amazing trilogy, and exactly what i expected from edgar wright, pegg, frost and company. always deeper than your typical american comedy, World's End protagonist Gary King is the darkest and most flawed hero yet. some fight scenes seemed repetitive after the 3rd or 4th time around and the the ending had a decent message just delivered in a corny way in my opinion hence the 9 and not a 10. you will not be disappointed. Expand
  23. Aug 25, 2013
    This was one of the best movies I ever saw. I liked it better than Shaun of the Dead but not as much as Hot Fuzz. Either way this is a fantastic movie that everyone should go see. Assuming you are old enough.
  24. Aug 24, 2013
    [9.5] The World's End is incredible, a perfect comedy. It starts out strong and just gets stronger. I can't come close to expressing my appreciation for this movie. It's hilarious, exciting, and wonderfully sarcastic.
  25. Aug 23, 2013
    It's a very funny movie with solid acting and heart, but it absolutely lost me in sci-fi hell with about 20 minutes to go. I was bored by the ending. And the writer/director criminally underutilized Rosamund Pike! Come on! She needed much more screen time.
  26. Aug 23, 2013
    The movie-making team of Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, and Edgar Wright has been one of the biggest success stories of British cinema of the past decade. With "Shaun of the Dead" (2004) and "Hot Fuzz" (2007), the trio demonstrated originality, ingenuity, and most significantly, capable of drawing a large, appreciative audience. Now they're back with the long-awaited third movie of what’s become unofficially known as the "Cornetto trilogy." Like it’s predecessors, director Edgar Wright loves paying homage to American cinema; "Shaun" pays its respects to George Romero, "Fuzz" nods its head to over the top action, buddy flicks, and "World’s End" takes a page from our classic American sci-fi films.

In "The World's End," 20 years after attempting an epic pub-crawl, five childhood friends reunite when one of them becomes hell-bent on trying the drinking marathon once again. Once convinced to stage an encore by Gary King (Simon Pegg), a 40-year-old man trapped in the mindset of his mid 20's, drags his reluctant friends back to their hometown, and once again attempt to reach the fabled pub The World's End.

"The World's End" plays on the notion that any time you return to your old stomping grounds, changes are inevitable. Upon returning to their small town roots—a place so boring it boasts about having the first roundabout in all of England—the crew notices that things are a little strange. As it turns out, the town residents are now blue-blooded alien robots. Pretty soon, the group of friends find they are not only fighting to recapture who they once were, but to preserve who they are.

"The World’s End" follows similar thematic and structural paths as the other films in the trilogy. While it is definitely intended as a satirical spoof on one level, it also works just as well as a fully functional sci-fi story. You have elements of body snatching, invasions, and more than a few overt nods to John Carpenter’s classic "They Live" (1998), in the way the aliens integrate into their society and take over. It’s satire in such a loving fashion that it comes across as infectiously charming.

If there is anything to criticize here, maybe it's that the genre is a bit more skewered and less defined than in its predecessors. However, "The World's End" does cap an unofficial trilogy, and the grievance is overly critical given the nature of the movies. Long-time fans of the trilogy will appreciate the reversal of roles, casting Pegg as the selfish screw-up, and Frost as the one who has it together. This allows Pegg to fully unleash his gift for gab, and for Frost to show off his considerable skill for physical comedy.

With great gags, better fights, and fan pleasing cameos, "The World’s End" is exactly the sort of British-accented, genre-blending pleasure we’ve come to expect from its creative trio, and we can only anticipate to what the future holds.
  27. Aug 23, 2013
    I saw this in a Cornetto marathon that started with Shaun of the Dead, went to Hot Fuzz, and ended with World's End, so I think it's appropriate to grade it on two scales: 1) It's place in the trilogy and 2) It's independent value as a movie.

1) I liked Shaun of the Dead, and Hot Fuzz is one of my all-time favorite movies, so I had high expectations here. After watching the first two
    and remembering how much I loved them, even the Nth time watching them, I started to get giddy for World's End. Plus, early reviews had rated it higher than either of the previous two.

So, it's with much disappointment that I say this was far and away the third-best movie in the trilogy. There were certainly some laughs, but they were much fewer and far between than SotD or HF. The protagonist (Pegg) was very rarely likeable. The movie got off to an *extremely* slow start, as well. (To be fair, so did HF, but I thought that in HF it worked, and it was at least still funny while it was slow in the beginning. TWE was slow and mostly unfunny at the start.)

2) So, it's the worst of the three, but that's a high standard. How does it stack up otherwise? Again, I'm sad to say that it wasn't overly remarkable. When we left the theater, we weren't interested in talking about the movie. Usually if it's an amazing movie you can talk about this awesome scene, that awesome line, or some cool plot point. This just left us disinterested. I laughed a bit, and I was certainly entertained. And all of the actors were amazing but I just wasn't blown away. I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it to friends, but if they told me they were seeing it, I wouldn't dissuade them, either.
  28. Aug 23, 2013
    But up until its final minutes, The World's End is a genuine delight, the most satisfying apocalypse of a summer that has been brimming with them. Robert Frost famously mused Some say the world will end in fire/Some say in ice. I prefer Edgar Wright's vision: It will end in a pub.
  29. Aug 23, 2013
  30. Aug 23, 2013
    This is by far the funniest and most fun movie of the year; everyone involved is as good as ever. Honestly, this is a movie made by fans, for fans, and the entire theater loved it. I got to see this at a Cornetto Trilogy marathon comprised of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz leading up to the 10:00 PM premiere of the film, and EVERYONE had an incredible time. Everyone.

First thing’s
    first: is a comedy, so is it funny? FROM START TO FINISH! And, surprisingly, it’s actually very heartfelt. The characters are very likable (even if they’re rude and belligerent, they have a good side to them) and there is an argument between Simon Pegg and Nick Frost towards the end that was actually very moving. This film never sacrifices a character or plot point to make a joke, just like the other films in this trilogy, and that in itself shows the care here.

A lot of movies are just mindless fun, but this is actually smart, and it in turn makes it so much more fun. Edgar Wright’s timing and ability to create terrific fight scenes are as good as ever, and of course Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, and all others are just fantastic. And let me say something: these special effects are stellar throughout and it only cost $20 million? Truly well-spent. I just can’t wait to see this again.

And note: I am *not* comparing this to Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz (which are my two favorite comedies of all time) because each entry in the Cornetto Trilogy is so different and all of them are truly exceptional.

9.6/10, amazing, two thumbs up, far above average, etc.

1. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Aug 31, 2013
    Nothing here is so well defined, and the tone of the film begins to suffer. I cannot imagine returning to it as one does to "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz," hungry for fresh minutiae. [2 Sept. 2013, p.80]
  2. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Aug 28, 2013
    The World’s End affectionately takes a page from our Fifties sci-fi films.
  3. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Aug 26, 2013
    There's a lot of fun to be had in watching The World's End and, surprisingly, more thematic depth than one might expect. The humor, true to its British roots, may baffle some Americans but those who "get" it will laugh quite a bit.