7.6

1. Nov 13, 2014
    "The World's End" 10 Scale Rating: 7.5 (Very Good) ...

"The World's End" 10 Scale Rating: 7.5 (Very Good) ...

The Good: With a great cast that you've seen in previous films from Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and director Edgar Wright, "The World's End" is witty and at times downright hilarious. If you've enjoyed the first two films from this group (Sean of the Dead, Hot Fuzz), then you will enjoy this one as well. As with the first two offerings, "The World's End" effortlessly and drastically changes up genres and, oddly enough, it fits.

The Bad: If you're not a fan of the first two films, then you won't like this one. The premise is also a bit silly. Sure, it is expected as this is a comedy, but at times it goes a little overboard. It is a little uneven as the first half is much better than the second.
  2. Oct 9, 2014
    The World's End is a unique and bizarre film from Edger Wright. There are certainly some chuckles to be had and a lot of things to scratch your head over. It is difficult to judge if this movie is a work of genius or totally off the rails in every way. Either way, it's an interesting ride.
  3. Sep 10, 2014
    It doesn't mark Itself as the best work from the Pegg and Wright but still contains enough comical violence and ridiculous humor to make it a memorable film.
  4. Aug 20, 2014
    you know it's really pointless, the most pointless movie i had seen.
    Just the end of the movie was a little mind awaking but the whole movie is just so incredibly pointless and meaningless....!!
    you can't make a social movie with comedy and science fiction, no way..it's just like eating banana with tea at 4 AM.
  5. Aug 9, 2014
    I want to like this movie but Pegg is horribly miscast, and it just isn't funny. Its diluted Shaun of the Dead with a heavier, but actually better, theme. The Sci-fi element is annoying. Of the five main actors, at least three are just not funny whatsoever. All five should have been. Even Guardians of the Galaxy had better characters, and they were often animated. A disappointment.
  6. Aug 4, 2014
    Sadly, probably Edgar Wright's weakest film. It felt too self-referential and feels more of a metaphor of Wright and Pegg trying to live through their lost youth. Unfortunately this has now been done to death in cinema. Because of this the aliens seemed to be the secondary story line, and I felt it wasn't as captivating as it should have been.
  7. Jul 30, 2014
    The three Cornettos trilogy.. If Shaun of the Dead is the chocolate flavour, Hot Fuzz is strawberry... The World's End must be brussels sprouts...

Nowhere near as good as the first 2 and it leaves a bad after taste.
  8. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    The World's End was absolutely outrageous!!! If the movie didn't have all the laughs and drinks in it, it would just be one of those pathetic movies similar to the Steve Jobs biopic directed by Joshua Michael Stern.
  9. Jul 4, 2014
    As a whole, "The World's End" is still pretty good, but not as humorous as "Shaun of the Dead" or "Hot Fuzz". For better or worse, the film emphasises more on moral, ethics and the stupidity of humans than simple, funny jokes. As for acting, this is the best of Simon Pegg that I have seen so far.
  10. Jun 22, 2014
    As long as you don't try and compare it to Hot Fuzz , this film is very enjoyable to watch especially watching it the second time round, the humor is what you expect and puts a smile on your face with some moments that will make you **** yourself with laughter.

I only rated it a seven because some parts of the plot just felt like it lost it way a bit and didn't quite explain itself properly and the ending was a bit naff as well.

I do think this film is worth a watch but it probably does have its own audience and may need to be watched twice (with a good amount of time in between)
  11. May 27, 2014
    Great movie until the ending. There was many funny jokes and clever dialogue in this movie that kept me into it most of the time. The story was pretty good up until near the very end it started to suck at the end. It is the worst of the three movies that Frost and Pegg have done together but they still managed to entertain me to enjoy this movie quite a bit.
  12. May 25, 2014
    A surprising last entry in the 'Cornetto Trilogy' but it's not the type of surprise that's entirely positive...

Let me start off by saying that I was, and still am, a huge fan of Shaun of the Dead, and an even bigger fan of Hot Fuzz, so when I heard about a third Edgar Wright film starring the classic Pegg and Frost combination where the plot focused on a good ol' fashioned English piss up that then turned into an Alien invasion bash-up, I shat myself in anticipation. As you can tell by my 6/10 score though, I probably wasted a good pair of pants doing so.

The first act does well to hype you up for the rest of the film. Pegg as an insane '90s replica with legs is humorous to behold but it seems as though it was the actor's weakest role in the trilogy. Don't get me wrong, Gary King is well written and pretty unique, but I'm not sure, I just feel as though it's a familiar actor playing an unfamiliar character. Frost is good as a character that's basically the reverse of King, but the rest of the main cast are almost identical to him in premise and that can come off as a bit unoriginal at times. Nevertheless, the first half of the film is great in a satirical, traditional English setting with hilarious dialogue as expected. My hype for seeing Pegg and Frost pissed up was almsot entirely satisfied...

Then it gets to the Aliens...

I know it's not very important, but the Aliens in this film are boring beyond belief. They're basically cyborgs with a robotic behavior replacing any sort of personality. Again, it's not a huge problem because the focus is supposed to be on Pegg and the gang, but it can be a bit distracting during dialogue and heated action sequences. It's just... we've seen this kind of stuff before so it seems uninspired and makes me lose a little too much interest in the story as a whole.

Without giving anything away, the end of the film is pretty unusual and surprising, not your typical happy ending in the slightest. I won't ruin it, but just don't expect everything to work out just fine like I did. While we're on the subject of the end though, the 'network' A.I thing voiced by Bill Nighy is also incredibly unoriginal and dull, although again there is a few laughs to be had with his dialogue. Yet again, I know it's not supposed to be the focus, but this to me was a bit of a wasted potential for what could have been some fresh and original Aliens, and maybe like, they would come to Earth seeking Beer or something? Wouldn't THAT have been pretty interesting? But I digress...

The action is pretty good and at least half of the movie's dialogue generates some chuckles, but I had high hopes for the finale in a trilogy I could have adored, and they just weren't met. It's an A-Grade Popcorn Movie, but other than that there isn't all that much else here. I'd definitely recommend Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead before I would even mention this one, so go see those if you haven't.
  13. May 25, 2014
    "The Ending has come to one of my favorite trilogies of all time and it goes out with the bang of a Gamma-ray Burst."

I'm not one for British comedy there are a few movies and tv shows that i like but for the most part i just don't like it. I have had no problem liking Edgar Wright movies from back in 2004 when i watched Shaun of the dead for the first time i fell in love with it. Hot Fuzz was also great but i needed to watch it a couple times before i really started to love the film. This film though i enjoyed right from the start it's definitely a movie that makes you want to go watch it again.

The film follow a group of five friends that have not seen each other for 20 years as they go on a trip back the their home town to complete the ultimate challenge "The Golden Mile" 12 pubs, 12 pints, 1 night all culminating at the last pub "The Worlds End" oh yeah at some point in there some "Robots" start attacking but that's not a good enough reason for these guy's to stop the ultimate challenge. The film will have you laughing from beginning to end and even after while you are driving home and then even some after that. While some critics/people seem to be getting tired of the nostalgia moments i just can't get enough of them.

Overall i give it a 8.0 A MUST WATCH for everyone you wont regret it for sure well i guess if you don't like British comedy then maybe you wont but i seriously doubt that because it's just too awesome not to like
  14. May 11, 2014
    Extremely overrated. This is nothing more than a tired concept. There really isn't anything original here. Besides moments of some humor and cleverness, the rest is just whatever. The ending was a total joke.
  15. May 11, 2014
    After starting off ok, The World's End became an unfunny, drawn out mess half way through. It goes from a bland comedy into a ridiculous science-fiction event, with an ending that is truly horrible.
  16. May 3, 2014
    I had to double check this rating as the movie was absolutely ridiculous and not worth the time that it takes to watch, let alone any possible price that could be attached. Perhaps it holds some insider geek-of-film lure that I am missing. If so, I am content with missing it, and am reminded not to be further misled by "film critics".
  17. May 3, 2014
    The World's End is a great example of how astonishing and spectacular British media is and really shows the viewer why British humor is still up 2 this day highly regarded as the best cinema experiences of all time. The World's is basically Edgar Wright's love letter to the novel Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, full of bizarre, fun, witty and fascinating humor with outrageous actionThe World's End is a great example of how astonishing and spectacular British media is and really shows the viewer why British humor is still up 2 this day highly regarded as the best cinema experiences of all time. The World's is basically Edgar Wright's love letter to the novel Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, full of bizarre, fun, witty and fascinating humor with outrageous action topped off with a story about a dead beat and his old college friends to go out and complete what they started, the Golden Mile, go 2 8 pubs and get wasted.

10/10, Brilliant ScFi humor mixed with British charm and wit with Astonishing action scenes and a moral message that is politically incorrect = one hell of a good time.
  18. May 1, 2014
    This movie is the perfect end to a trilogy that has had audiences both amazed with the acting and directing, and laughing out loud with it's incredibly witty comedy. I have already seen this movie over 10 times, and each time I discover something new.
  19. Mar 24, 2014
    Probably my favorite comedy movie. The humor is dark and the characters are interesting. Simon Pegg makes the movie with his childlike character. He is, of course the cornerstone of the film, keeping it interesting throughout. One thing that a viewer should e aware of before seeing this is that it is not a solid comedy. What I mean by that is the movie takes breaks from providing laughs inProbably my favorite comedy movie. The humor is dark and the characters are interesting. Simon Pegg makes the movie with his childlike character. He is, of course the cornerstone of the film, keeping it interesting throughout. One thing that a viewer should e aware of before seeing this is that it is not a solid comedy. What I mean by that is the movie takes breaks from providing laughs in order to tell a better story. This doesn't make it any worse of movie, it's just something I wasn't expecting going in. Expand
  20. Mar 2, 2014
    While I do not feel that it lives up to "Shaun of the Dead," "Hot Fuzz," or even "Paul," I still have to say it can be a very funny movie at times. It's not quite as intelligent as the previous works these people have been associated with, but it still hits the right notes of funny and action packed. The idea is over the top and absurd, but if you're a fan of these guys previous works thenWhile I do not feel that it lives up to "Shaun of the Dead," "Hot Fuzz," or even "Paul," I still have to say it can be a very funny movie at times. It's not quite as intelligent as the previous works these people have been associated with, but it still hits the right notes of funny and action packed. The idea is over the top and absurd, but if you're a fan of these guys previous works then I recommend you give this one a shot. It might not be as good, but it's still fun. Expand
  21. Feb 28, 2014
    Inspired by it's score I gave it a spin. And honestly - I want my time back. This movie just doesn't add up in any way.. For some time it tries to be serious and just when you start to get the feeling that there will be a moral at the end or just a bit of sense in it.. the blue thing pops up. And it goes completely bananas.Unfortunately, not in a good way. It's acted rather poorly, theInspired by it's score I gave it a spin. And honestly - I want my time back. This movie just doesn't add up in any way.. For some time it tries to be serious and just when you start to get the feeling that there will be a moral at the end or just a bit of sense in it.. the blue thing pops up. And it goes completely bananas.Unfortunately, not in a good way. It's acted rather poorly, the script doesn't make any sense and the whole thing looks like it was written in the same way the whole thing acts out - completely drunk.
    If you want a good Pegg move - go see Paul.
  22. Feb 19, 2014
    This is the Third Flavour of the Cornetto trilogy, and as you would expect it's quirky, pacey and funny. The movie is rich with characters and relationship building (friendship). Higly recommend it.
  23. Feb 19, 2014
    Good God, what was that? A dull, unfunny retelling of Invasion of the Body Snatchers with some mild humour (I laughed once: when a 'blank' chav's head came off and blue goop when over a lavatory floor). Some glimpses of character development here and there that never went anywhere. The World's End was an hour long tease: we're going to play This Corrosion, maybe at the end.
  24. Feb 11, 2014
    Not only easily the weakest of the Cornetto trilogy, this movie is not as funny, well-written or well-paced as ANY of the other Pegg/Frost collaborations. The character development is non-existant and the humour is mostly misses and very few hits. The only saving grace comes from good performances from the supporting cast (inc. Martin Freeman and Paddy Considine)
  25. Feb 10, 2014
    Fantastically made film. Not as good as Shaun of the Dead, but better than Hot Fuzz. The Action sequences are great, and the comedy is good. The hidden secrets such as the bars being named after what happens in that bar are so easily unnoticed, but a great touch and will have you shocked when you realise.
  26. Feb 9, 2014
    This movie is just bad. Reviewers keep describing it as "funny" and "witty", of which it is neither. Anyone who likes this movie is clearly starved for entertainment. Seriously, what was funny about it?

This is a classic case of critics (who are notorious for having no sense of humour) trying to rate one token comedy highly. So instead of rating a comedy that is -actually- clever, they pick one that has "all these underlying themes" that "only a true fan will understand". What's even worse is the pathetic home viewers who think, "hey if the critics rate this highly I will too and that will make me sophisticated". No, it makes you a moron who has no mind of their own.
  27. Feb 2, 2014
    I found this movie, soooo painful to watch. It was boring and dragged on and on! I was watching to see where the good parts will begin. But it didn't happen.
  28. Jan 29, 2014
    "The World's End" wasn't all that bad. I just ended up feeling like I had already watched it before. Followed a very safe formula that I feel had been used in "Shaun of the Dead". It did have a few humorous parts but I feel it to just be lacking in general. It wasn't anywhere close to being as enjoyable as "Shaun of the Dead." I really enjoyed that movie and thought it was very well done."The World's End" wasn't all that bad. I just ended up feeling like I had already watched it before. Followed a very safe formula that I feel had been used in "Shaun of the Dead". It did have a few humorous parts but I feel it to just be lacking in general. It wasn't anywhere close to being as enjoyable as "Shaun of the Dead." I really enjoyed that movie and thought it was very well done. In the future, I feel like It's gonna be difficult topping and/or knocking "Shaun of the Dead" off it's high pedestal. Expand
  29. Jan 23, 2014
    What an obnoxious combination of aliens invented velcro and 'white man's burden'. I'm just so conditioned by the "liberal left" globalist media machine I react negatively to an Angle-Saxon pro-imperialist movie. But you know what they say: you can take the British out of Imperialism, but you can't take Imperialism out of the Brit.
  30. Jan 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A missed oppurtunity. For me this could have been the best film of the Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz trilogy but ended up being the worst. I thought the premise was brilliant; a group of middle aged friends getting together to re-live their youth and going on a pub crawl. The Gary King character was really interesting in that he was living in the past and I really wanted to discover why he did that. The soundtrack was also fantastic, based on the madchester/shoegazing sound from the early nineties. Things were going really well as the characters started their pub crawl, exchanging anecdotes about their past and getting on famously. Ironically for me the film start unraveling once they introduced the robot aliens to the story. To be honest I think if would have been a much better film had they dropped the aliens altogether as from then on we got a series of overblown chase sequences ending up with Gary giving his "We are humans and you can't tell us what to do!" speech with the aliens responding "oh, alright then we'll leave" before blowing up the town and leaving the whole world reverted to a kind of mad-max existence. The whole of the last 5 minutes felt as though it belonged in a different film. Such a shame, this could have been such a good film. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Aug 31, 2013
    Nothing here is so well defined, and the tone of the film begins to suffer. I cannot imagine returning to it as one does to "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz," hungry for fresh minutiae. [2 Sept. 2013, p.80]
  2. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Aug 28, 2013
    The World’s End affectionately takes a page from our Fifties sci-fi films.
  3. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Aug 26, 2013
    There's a lot of fun to be had in watching The World's End and, surprisingly, more thematic depth than one might expect. The humor, true to its British roots, may baffle some Americans but those who "get" it will laugh quite a bit.