7.8

1. Jun 30, 2013
    Disciplined, polished, beautiful, without any surplus.
    As many reviews with low score said it, it is not fast-paced but it is not meant to be and if the only thing you seek in movies is blood-pumping adrenaline shot actions, well..
  2. Jun 15, 2014
    Many critics called it "a masterpiece" and "One of the best film of decade", then I really agree about that. You can't easily find many film like "There Will Be Blood", very rare, an epic drama film. With a story about family, oil, religion and greed, this film easily become one of the richest film ever made. Daniel Day-Lewis' performance is outstanding.
  3. Feb 13, 2014
    A great piece of art about dehumanising effects of power and money. When greed possesses people, this sin is even worse when completed with hate. A drama of a man that is full of evil purposes, he cannot love or empathise with anybody, He is feeling surrounded only by enemies, only by competitors. Anderson proves once more that this world we are living in is a jungle, where the main goalA great piece of art about dehumanising effects of power and money. When greed possesses people, this sin is even worse when completed with hate. A drama of a man that is full of evil purposes, he cannot love or empathise with anybody, He is feeling surrounded only by enemies, only by competitors. Anderson proves once more that this world we are living in is a jungle, where the main goal is to succeed no matter what are the consequences. The last scene summarizes the grotesque, making Daniel Plainview one of the best icons of the fallen man. Expand
  4. Jan 25, 2014
    Daniel Day-Lewis did an excellent job as his role of Daniel Plainview. This to me is a high quality film that deserves a lot more credibility. I recommend everyone should see this movie once, because this has to be one of the best movies ever made. Through my short years, I have learned to appreciate a great movie when i see one, and this movie tops them all!
  5. Sep 19, 2014
    Yes ...absolutely one of the best films of that year. Superb acting, taut script and all round class. Job well done! DDL and PTA have crafted an epic tale of greed and ambition
  6. Dec 28, 2011
    Daniel Day-Lewis gives the performance of his career in There Will Be Blood. Receiving several Oscar nods, including Best Picture, as well as a win for Best Actor, There Will Be Blood is a story about a wicked oil man who hits jackpot.
  7. Dec 16, 2010
    Great movie... original feel to movie in general and for certain in DDL's performance. Loved it and refreshing compared to the majority of movies made these days.

Best of all time... no ... but only 1-2 movies a year are made that are worth watching..... I'm so glad they are... I'm running out of old classics to watch lol.
  8. Sep 18, 2011
    The movie may be slow and tedious, but that is why "There will be Blood" enlightens and amazes the audience.
  9. Mar 5, 2013
    There Will Be Blood is fantastically photographed, written and acted. The central performance of Daniel Day Lewis is of legendary proportions. Better yet, the film is unbelievably funny, it's comedy blacker than the gushing oil that Plainview covets so badly. There Will be Blood is a truly unforgettable piece of cinema.
  10. Mar 16, 2011
    What an amazing film. Daniel Day Lewis is haunting. Each of the 156 minutes from the initial pioneering scenes to the final Kubrick-esque moments dazzles in it's intensity. Meanwhile, the loss of consciousness, of mind, of vision, of sanity, is so subtle, is so delicate and unassuming that hours after the final credits have rolled one can only blink and say 'wow'
  11. Aug 9, 2012
    One of the best films ever made. The intrigue of the characters; the rich themes and the great acting add up to an experience that has only been matched by few films. Sight and sound pisses me off because it seems as though they ignore all the great newer films to make themselves feel sophisticated. Mulholland drive was the only movie in the top 50 from the 2000s. What a crock!
  12. Jan 5, 2012
    First off, Daniel Day Lewis is untouchable (as always) and makes the film that much greater from his performance alone. There Will Be Blood gives us a cold hard look at the world of Oil Drilling and I loved it. It can be a little boring at times ,god knows the run time takes away from the film a bit, but the majority of the film is simply amazing and more then makes up for it.
  13. Feb 3, 2012
    Best movie of the 2000 decade. This sentence will fill the remaining character requirement which is 150 characters long...................................................
  14. Dec 22, 2012
    I like to see movies artistically done, so this film didn't bother me exactly. It was just long, unfocused, and forgettable. The main character was not a real stretch in acting chops for Day-Lewis, and trivial parts were carried out for absurd lengths of time. Visually and in thematic details, it DID ring of some real truths and passions, which alone would make it standout against mostI like to see movies artistically done, so this film didn't bother me exactly. It was just long, unfocused, and forgettable. The main character was not a real stretch in acting chops for Day-Lewis, and trivial parts were carried out for absurd lengths of time. Visually and in thematic details, it DID ring of some real truths and passions, which alone would make it standout against most Hollywood fare, but unless you are dedicated to odd stuff, you will definitely find it a mediocre entertainment. Expand
  15. Jun 9, 2011
    Easily one of the best performances in the history of cinema! Daniel Day-Lewis is great in every role, but this one is so believable and entertaining. I found myself unable to wait for his next line. This film grows on you...it takes a lot out of you, but the experience stays with you. It elicits that slow boil of thought afterwards, which makes you want to step back and watch it again.
  16. Dec 4, 2010
    A work of truly brilliant madness. It's the kind of film that sticks with you for a very long time. After seeing it only once, I knew there was something special here. Daniel Day-Lewis gives one of the most fascinating performances in movie history. From beginning to end, it never stops being a crazy, imperfect, frustrating and masterful piece of cinematic history. It comes highlyA work of truly brilliant madness. It's the kind of film that sticks with you for a very long time. After seeing it only once, I knew there was something special here. Daniel Day-Lewis gives one of the most fascinating performances in movie history. From beginning to end, it never stops being a crazy, imperfect, frustrating and masterful piece of cinematic history. It comes highly recommended for anyone who is interested in film as an art form, and, in my opinion, it trumps the overrated No Country for Old Men. Expand
  17. Mar 14, 2013
    An irrefutable masterpiece and anyone who denies it should have their milkshake drunk ASAP. It's original, intense and pretty much perfect in every way. You can feel Anderson's engagement with his subject matter and his passion for the work. You don't feel that sense of disengagement like you do with most empty Hollywood films. This is cinema at it's best, a disturbing portrayal of humanAn irrefutable masterpiece and anyone who denies it should have their milkshake drunk ASAP. It's original, intense and pretty much perfect in every way. You can feel Anderson's engagement with his subject matter and his passion for the work. You don't feel that sense of disengagement like you do with most empty Hollywood films. This is cinema at it's best, a disturbing portrayal of human nature and the effect of power. I'm just grateful that we still have at least one brilliant Director left in the world. Expand
  18. Jan 9, 2011
    This is literally a terrible film. I love Daniel Day Lewis but NOT in this film, there is just nothing going on with the acting. A big yawn fest. A couple of good one liners so the script isn't awful but there is just not anything interesting about this film.
  19. Nov 11, 2012
    The acting is superb and Daniel-Day Lewis is captivating as always. But I had to drag myself through this one. It has it's moments, but overall There Will Be Blood is a like a never ending desert highway riddled with pot holes and tumbleweeds. Long winded, dry and not an inkling of refuge in sight. If only they would have whittled it down to a neat and simple package, this could have beenThe acting is superb and Daniel-Day Lewis is captivating as always. But I had to drag myself through this one. It has it's moments, but overall There Will Be Blood is a like a never ending desert highway riddled with pot holes and tumbleweeds. Long winded, dry and not an inkling of refuge in sight. If only they would have whittled it down to a neat and simple package, this could have been great. But as it stands, snooze fest. Expand
  20. May 16, 2011
    Never before have I seen such a well made film that was so TERRIBLE.

I still have no idea why this film gets good ratings. I cannot even discern a plot, other than a story of how corrupt people can become, be they the Businessmen as depicted or the Churchmen as depicted. So, people can be bad and corrupt? We needed over 2.5 HOURS of wasted film for this? The performances were
    Never before have I seen such a well made film that was so TERRIBLE.

The performances were excellent, the cinematography was outstanding, but there was simply no real plot and nothing to care about in this tedious film.

It is a pity I cannot score it lower than 0.
  21. Oct 4, 2010
    I couldn't think of a more boring movie. Good acting? Looks more like imitating Sean Connery's accent. I hated this movie so much I would actually use the poster as toilet paper!
  22. Jun 22, 2011
    Absolutely awful movie! I saw this movie because there was nothing else on and to say I didn't like it is an understatement. Truthfully the entire movie is uninteresting, boring and supremely stupid.
  23. Mar 13, 2012
    I still am baffled at how anyone thinks this is a good movie. I have watched it twice now and both times I was so bored and confused as to what the meaning of this turd was, I had to fight to stay awake. I get the plot, but the whole moral dilemma thing just escapes me. I mean, in real life who the hell acts like these people do? The only positive things I got from this movie were theI still am baffled at how anyone thinks this is a good movie. I have watched it twice now and both times I was so bored and confused as to what the meaning of this turd was, I had to fight to stay awake. I get the plot, but the whole moral dilemma thing just escapes me. I mean, in real life who the hell acts like these people do? The only positive things I got from this movie were the visuals and the acting of Daniel Day-Lewis. Other than that, avoid this movie unless you want to be bored to tears and pissed off at the ending. Expand
  24. Mar 31, 2012
    The only reason this movie gets a 2 is because of its acting other than that zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I almost cried because i was so bored. I rather watch grass grow in my backyard. What a disgrace this movie is and it doesn't deserve to be up for best picture.
  25. Mar 31, 2012
    No matter how superb that acting was and the overall quality of the film.....it is wayyyyyyyyyy too long and pointless. It was the farthest thing from a gripping movie. There were some very good scenes and music, but come on....so boring.
  26. May 24, 2013
    this movie is too awkward with an obnoxious writing i mean i know Daniel day-lewess made an awesome performance there is no Doubt about that but the writing keep you away from the story i mean why when his son became deaf he was happy ?
    why his son burned down the house ?
    why he killed his brother ? why he waited all these years until he told his son that he was adopted ? why in hell
    why his son burned down the house ?
    why he killed his brother ?
    why he waited all these years until he told his son that he was adopted ?
    why in hell he killed the monk ?
    omg i felt stupid after watching this movie.
  27. Apr 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This films started off well, but once we've seen how Plainview (Day-Lewis) set up the business and his early difficulties in buying land to drill for oil that the film starts to take a nose dive. First of all, there is little to no character development we learn nothing about Plainview's work force, his son (who turns out not to be his son) is only developed very slightly towards the end. There are also a few things that don't make any sense i.e when Plainview abandons the boy on the train. He is returned back to Plainview later in the film, but where had he been? Where did they find him? How long had he been gone for? None of this is explained. I also felt the ending was over the top. I gave it 4 mainly because it started out well and Day-Lewis put in a good performance (not Oscar worthy though). I also thought the guy who played Eli put on a good performance too. Expand
  28. Feb 10, 2014
    some scenes are boring. but I I need to talk about all of body, yes good film. Daniel Day Lewis carries this film on some scenes, but at the beginning of film you will see the perfect scenes.
  29. Jul 25, 2014
    I will resume this movie in three words: **** ING ****
    Daniel Day Lewis is not better actor than Adam Sandler or Paul Dano, and the oscar goes for him?
    This society is simply awful.

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    There Will Be Blood is ferocious, and it will be championed and attacked with an equal ferocity. When the dust settles, we may look back on it as some kind of obsessed classic.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    There Will Be Blood is, in fact, not a historical saga; rather, it's an absurdist, blackly comic horror film with a very idiosyncratic satanic figure at its core.
  3. Reviewed by: John DeFore
    Daniel Day-Lewis stuns in Paul Thomas Anderson's saga of a soul-dead oil man.