7.7

1. Apr 11, 2013
    The film answers the question of how far greed can drive a man to succeed, and how far the money and in this case, oil, truly dictates human behaviour. There Will Be Blood tells the ultimate disaster of one man's mission to be the best at what he does, and discard anything that gets in his way.
    Daniel Day-Lewis puts in one of the greatest and most memorable performances of any actor or actress in the last few decades, his wispy and dominating voice truly capture the ruthless and maniacal means boiling beneath the surface, he is the 'oilman' Daniel Plainview, and he gets what he wants.
    The film opens with very little dialogue, we watch Plainview, alone and down a well, digging for oil, his perseverance and can-do attitude are apparent as he breaks his leg in a fall, but manages to get out of the well and start over again.
    Plainview and his son, HW, coax towns into letting them dig up their land in the search for oil, and when he is approached into a town with the potential of riches beyond measure, he is met with the bizarre and erratic Eli Sunday (Paul Dano), a preacher who ends up being at egotistical loggerheads with Plainview about his faith and his intentions with the town.
    After a tragic accident, Plainviews behaviour drastically changes and ulterior motive soon come to light, wanting to have so much money that he would no longer have to know people. The addition of his half-brother perhaps shows a more humanly side to him, but he seems determined and forthright to get what he wants, eventually falling into obsessive and alcohol-fuelled madness.
    An epic tale which is never without its drama, There Will Be Blood never fails to impress in its acting, writing and visual landscapes of beauty, filming in the same place as No Country for Old Men, the similarities in film style.
    But of course it is the thrilling characters that truly make this film what it is, Plainview has flashes of Citizen Kane in his determination for everything, but ultimately loneliness at what he has become.
    The film has styles of long scenes and plenty of dialogue, but what truly needs to be seen is the characters who bring these scenes to life, the ambition of Paul Thomas Anderson could indeed have been a hit or miss but what he has created is something unique.
    The often debated ending has been the subject of many talks, particularly peoples distaste for it, but as the film goes on its difficult to imagine another finish, other than the madness within.
    A truly remarkable film that never ceases to amaze in its character development, expert writing and ambitious reach that could very well be the best film in the last fifteen years. Taking it from its remarkable perch could indeed be a difficult thing.
  2. Apr 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This films started off well, but once we've seen how Plainview (Day-Lewis) set up the business and his early difficulties in buying land to drill for oil that the film starts to take a nose dive. First of all, there is little to no character development we learn nothing about Plainview's work force, his son (who turns out not to be his son) is only developed very slightly towards the end. There are also a few things that don't make any sense i.e when Plainview abandons the boy on the train. He is returned back to Plainview later in the film, but where had he been? Where did they find him? How long had he been gone for? None of this is explained. I also felt the ending was over the top. I gave it 4 mainly because it started out well and Day-Lewis put in a good performance (not Oscar worthy though). I also thought the guy who played Eli put on a good performance too. Expand
  3. Mar 14, 2013
    An irrefutable masterpiece and anyone who denies it should have their milkshake drunk ASAP. It's original, intense and pretty much perfect in every way. You can feel Anderson's engagement with his subject matter and his passion for the work. You don't feel that sense of disengagement like you do with most empty Hollywood films. This is cinema at it's best, a disturbing portrayal of humanAn irrefutable masterpiece and anyone who denies it should have their milkshake drunk ASAP. It's original, intense and pretty much perfect in every way. You can feel Anderson's engagement with his subject matter and his passion for the work. You don't feel that sense of disengagement like you do with most empty Hollywood films. This is cinema at it's best, a disturbing portrayal of human nature and the effect of power. I'm just grateful that we still have at least one brilliant Director left in the world. Expand
  4. Mar 5, 2013
    There Will Be Blood is fantastically photographed, written and acted. The central performance of Daniel Day Lewis is of legendary proportions. Better yet, the film is unbelievably funny, it's comedy blacker than the gushing oil that Plainview covets so badly. There Will be Blood is a truly unforgettable piece of cinema.
  5. Feb 25, 2013
    This is a roller-coaster and by that I mean that its quality is very uneven throughout the whole movie. It has some amazing moments but it has some really boring moments as well. The only constants in this movie are Daniel Day-Lewis in the leading role and Paul Thomas Anderson's directing.
  6. Feb 11, 2013
    Where to start, on the first viewing There Will Be Blood has comfortably become one of my favourite films of all time. From the dialogue-free 15 minute opening of Plainview mining alone, to the intense and violent conclusion, There Will Be Blood is unrelenting. You cannot take your eyes off Daniel Day-Lewis. He is quite simply fantastic as the fiery, vengeful and driven oilman and deservedWhere to start, on the first viewing There Will Be Blood has comfortably become one of my favourite films of all time. From the dialogue-free 15 minute opening of Plainview mining alone, to the intense and violent conclusion, There Will Be Blood is unrelenting. You cannot take your eyes off Daniel Day-Lewis. He is quite simply fantastic as the fiery, vengeful and driven oilman and deserved his Plainview becomes so dislikeable he is likeable, and I found myself routing for him, after all he is the film. The scenes between pastor Eli and Daniel, in particular the two where each humiliates the other, are worth the price of admission alone.

Maybe I'm biased, maybe Daniel Day-Lewis is one of my favourite actors, maybe because I work in the oil industry the film's subject appeals to me more, maybe great shots of drilling derricks and flaming oil gushers set against the American West just do it for me. Or maybe not, maybe Paul Thomas Anderson has just created a truly great film, full of memorable images and lines. Although central to the film, the themes of religion and capitalism are allowed to exist without heavy handed interference from Anderson. Ultimately, neither come out of the other side smelling of roses.

The reason this film only scores 9/10 is due to the score. Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood is responsible for the score which Tarantino complimented as "one of the great modern original soundtracks of the last decade" but it just didn't agree with me.
  7. Jan 14, 2013
    This movie was a classic depiction of the great storytelling of Paul Tom Anderson with incredible acting by Day-Lewis. It was an independent joy ride through the life of an oil man. A visual and written masterpiece.
  8. Dec 22, 2012
    I like to see movies artistically done, so this film didn't bother me exactly. It was just long, unfocused, and forgettable. The main character was not a real stretch in acting chops for Day-Lewis, and trivial parts were carried out for absurd lengths of time. Visually and in thematic details, it DID ring of some real truths and passions, which alone would make it standout against mostI like to see movies artistically done, so this film didn't bother me exactly. It was just long, unfocused, and forgettable. The main character was not a real stretch in acting chops for Day-Lewis, and trivial parts were carried out for absurd lengths of time. Visually and in thematic details, it DID ring of some real truths and passions, which alone would make it standout against most Hollywood fare, but unless you are dedicated to odd stuff, you will definitely find it a mediocre entertainment. Expand
  9. Dec 14, 2012
    This deep, brooding portrayal of a man motivated only by greed is a haunting movie that will both terrify and amaze you. I needn't say, Daniel Day-Lewis delivers one of the best performances of all time as Daniel Plainview.
  10. Nov 28, 2012
    Daniel Day-Lewis's unbelievable performance nurtures this very intelligently written film into a deeply disquieting, perpetual steamroller of vengeance and malice.
  11. Nov 15, 2012
    This is a big, bold film from huge talent Paul Thomas Anderson, but it
  12. Nov 12, 2012
    There Will Be Blood is one of the greatest movies on my list because thanks to Paul Thomas Anderson, the movie is violent, brutal, and I think if Lincoln could get Oscar buzz, then call in Daniel-Day-Lewis. He's a gifted acclaimed actor and I think he delivers a calm, attitudinal, no-nonsense character in real life. Great film, should be in the AFI lists for the best movies of all time.
  13. Nov 11, 2012
    The acting is superb and Daniel-Day Lewis is captivating as always. But I had to drag myself through this one. It has it's moments, but overall There Will Be Blood is a like a never ending desert highway riddled with pot holes and tumbleweeds. Long winded, dry and not an inkling of refuge in sight. If only they would have whittled it down to a neat and simple package, this could have beenThe acting is superb and Daniel-Day Lewis is captivating as always. But I had to drag myself through this one. It has it's moments, but overall There Will Be Blood is a like a never ending desert highway riddled with pot holes and tumbleweeds. Long winded, dry and not an inkling of refuge in sight. If only they would have whittled it down to a neat and simple package, this could have been great. But as it stands, snooze fest. Expand
  14. Nov 8, 2012
    Only thing bad about this movie is that it's very slow paced and takes quite some time to really get into. By the end of it however, You will love it. Daniel Day-Lewis gives what is easily his best performance (and that's saying something) in this movie.
  15. Oct 19, 2012
    after watching this movie, i became a fan of daniel day lewis... very dark and riveting movie. This should have been d oscar winning movie for me in that year..
  16. Oct 7, 2012
    While I agree with most of what everyone who loves this movie says about it, I do feel that it doesn't succeed in a couple of areas where the true greats do. If there is such a thing as too much ambiguity, Blood has it. We learn so little of Plainview that when he does interact with other characters it is impossible to know when he is lying or telling the truth. This gives Plainview littleWhile I agree with most of what everyone who loves this movie says about it, I do feel that it doesn't succeed in a couple of areas where the true greats do. If there is such a thing as too much ambiguity, Blood has it. We learn so little of Plainview that when he does interact with other characters it is impossible to know when he is lying or telling the truth. This gives Plainview little motivation as a character. In contrast to the people who love this movie I feel this is why some people find this movie boring. If we had just the smallest amount of back story on Plainview I think what he does would make this movie much more interesting to those that find it boring. Although Anderson does give us very small glimpses into his characters motivation in his movies, we fail to get even that small glimpse with Plainview. Of course on the positive side Anderson has created another set of characters that stay with you for weeks after viewing the movie. He moves his characters through these worlds he creates in such a way that we become entranced with the characters and the atmosphere. Of course Lewis is brilliant and deserves every bit of recognition he has received for this role. Last but not least the final scene in this movie is mesmerizing. The final confrontation between these two characters is brilliantly written and brilliantly acted. This is one of my top 5 endings for a movie ever, from the much hyped bowling pin, to the less talked about line. "I'm done". Expand
  17. Sep 17, 2012
    There Will Be Blood is a captivating film, detailing the extents of a man's ambition and, in turn, his eventual turn to madness. Paul Thomas Anderson has created a sprawling masterpiece, an epic of the most extraordinary genre, and one rich in emotion despite the fact that the lead character (acted superbly by veteran, Daniel Day-Lewis) lacks a shred of compassion. The ending is brutal,There Will Be Blood is a captivating film, detailing the extents of a man's ambition and, in turn, his eventual turn to madness. Paul Thomas Anderson has created a sprawling masterpiece, an epic of the most extraordinary genre, and one rich in emotion despite the fact that the lead character (acted superbly by veteran, Daniel Day-Lewis) lacks a shred of compassion. The ending is brutal, confronting and gut-wrenching in scope; it leaves the viewer lost in thought (and possibly weeping) as to how capitalism managed to have such an effect on Daniel Plainview. We are left in detest of the oil-man, but undoubtedly in awe of Paul Thomas Anderson's direction, for masterpieces are rare in any age. Expand
  18. Sep 14, 2012
    It is definitely a slow movie, but that's life - some things are fast and some things are slow. But both can have an equal impact. I have seen it 3 or 4 times now - I find it is quite mesmorising and the story compelling. Daniel Day Lewis is really sublime in his role, and I found the final scene to be absolute magic!
    It is more bizarre than anything else, with the story taking some odd
    It is more bizarre than anything else, with the story taking some odd turns at times and playing strange scenarios which you don't expect. Which maybe why I enjoyed it so much - it seemed fresh, it didn't spoon feed me the standard film format and put all it's A,Bs ad Cs in the right order. It was 2 years after release that I watched this, and I didn't read any reviews before I did watch it. Just because it is long and slow with odd music and even stranger dialogue, doesn't necessarily mean it is pretentious - but if you look for it to be, you will most likely find it will be. I did not, I just found it interesting and enjoyable. But then I found the hangover boring so what do I know.
  19. Aug 9, 2012
    One of the best films ever made. The intrigue of the characters; the rich themes and the great acting add up to an experience that has only been matched by few films. Sight and sound pisses me off because it seems as though they ignore all the great newer films to make themselves feel sophisticated. Mulholland drive was the only movie in the top 50 from the 2000s. What a crock!
  20. Jul 2, 2012
    Certainly eveyone is entitled to their opinion, and some may be praising it just to jump on the bandwagon. But I think there is some ridiculous accusations concerning this film. It must have been doing something right since almost every single magazine, newspaper, or awards show hailed it as one of the best films of 2007 and one of the best films of the decade. Just because a film isn'tCertainly eveyone is entitled to their opinion, and some may be praising it just to jump on the bandwagon. But I think there is some ridiculous accusations concerning this film. It must have been doing something right since almost every single magazine, newspaper, or awards show hailed it as one of the best films of 2007 and one of the best films of the decade. Just because a film isn't exactly what you expected doesn't mean you have to **** all over it. The film has a moral and a point! But it seems everyone here needs the film to shove it right in their face so they don't have to think. Pathetic. And I forgot to rate it last time sorry. Expand
  21. Jun 6, 2012
    I am probably applauding this film more than it deserves, but this is my type of movie. Paul T. Anderson's direction of the film is well done which should not be a surprise considering he has been called "one of American film's modern masters". The style of atmosphere Robert Elswit creates is perfect for the films setting. The script is very good. And the acting is more or so average.I am probably applauding this film more than it deserves, but this is my type of movie. Paul T. Anderson's direction of the film is well done which should not be a surprise considering he has been called "one of American film's modern masters". The style of atmosphere Robert Elswit creates is perfect for the films setting. The script is very good. And the acting is more or so average. Daniel D. Lewis does however, a job of portraying mineral prospector Daniel Plainview, still a bigger expectation from him is held after watching Gangs of New York. Watching Daniel's relationship with his boy, especially towards the end, really makes the film's audience care for the characters. Expand
  22. Jun 1, 2012
    There isn't much more I can say to add to the heap of praise that this move received, so let me just say that everyone who has called this one of the best movies ever made is telling the truth. Also, I want to just mention the amazing Score by Johnny Greenwood. It's hauntingly beautiful and it sets the mood perfectly. It's a shame it was ruled ineligible for an Academy Award.
  23. Mar 31, 2012
    The only reason this movie gets a 2 is because of its acting other than that zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I almost cried because i was so bored. I rather watch grass grow in my backyard. What a disgrace this movie is and it doesn't deserve to be up for best picture.
  24. Mar 31, 2012
    No matter how superb that acting was and the overall quality of the film.....it is wayyyyyyyyyy too long and pointless. It was the farthest thing from a gripping movie. There were some very good scenes and music, but come on....so boring.
  25. Mar 13, 2012
    I still am baffled at how anyone thinks this is a good movie. I have watched it twice now and both times I was so bored and confused as to what the meaning of this turd was, I had to fight to stay awake. I get the plot, but the whole moral dilemma thing just escapes me. I mean, in real life who the hell acts like these people do? The only positive things I got from this movie were theI still am baffled at how anyone thinks this is a good movie. I have watched it twice now and both times I was so bored and confused as to what the meaning of this turd was, I had to fight to stay awake. I get the plot, but the whole moral dilemma thing just escapes me. I mean, in real life who the hell acts like these people do? The only positive things I got from this movie were the visuals and the acting of Daniel Day-Lewis. Other than that, avoid this movie unless you want to be bored to tears and pissed off at the ending. Expand
  26. Feb 3, 2012
    Best movie of the 2000 decade. This sentence will fill the remaining character requirement which is 150 characters long...................................................
  27. Jan 5, 2012
    First off, Daniel Day Lewis is untouchable (as always) and makes the film that much greater from his performance alone. There Will Be Blood gives us a cold hard look at the world of Oil Drilling and I loved it. It can be a little boring at times ,god knows the run time takes away from the film a bit, but the majority of the film is simply amazing and more then makes up for it.
  28. Dec 28, 2011
    Daniel Day-Lewis gives the performance of his career in There Will Be Blood. Receiving several Oscar nods, including Best Picture, as well as a win for Best Actor, There Will Be Blood is a story about a wicked oil man who hits jackpot.
  29. Nov 22, 2011
    Another example of why Daniel Day Lewis is the best actor alive today. He delivers a powerful performance in this film and he is perfect from start to finish. The entire film is rather interesting but it can be a bit dull in some parts and make it a little bit of a suffer to get through. However great performances by the cast and overall interest in the plot will keep you satisfied till the end.

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    There Will Be Blood is ferocious, and it will be championed and attacked with an equal ferocity. When the dust settles, we may look back on it as some kind of obsessed classic.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    There Will Be Blood is, in fact, not a historical saga; rather, it's an absurdist, blackly comic horror film with a very idiosyncratic satanic figure at its core.
  3. Reviewed by: John DeFore
    Daniel Day-Lewis stuns in Paul Thomas Anderson's saga of a soul-dead oil man.