5.8

1. Jan 9, 2013
    Maybe it is about 20 minutes to long and concludes the main plot point twice, but "This Is 40" is full of comedic moments and overall relatable content that is definitely worth a watch.
  2. Dec 22, 2012
    Overall, not bad. Many criticisms the critics brought up are valid. It's long, tonally uneven, some of the comic bits fall flat, etc. I feel like it had great potential to either be a hilarious comedy or a touching drama, but instead, it feels like two different movies awkwardly sewn together, instead of a seamless, singular whole; the comedic elements undermine the dramatic scenes, andOverall, not bad. Many criticisms the critics brought up are valid. It's long, tonally uneven, some of the comic bits fall flat, etc. I feel like it had great potential to either be a hilarious comedy or a touching drama, but instead, it feels like two different movies awkwardly sewn together, instead of a seamless, singular whole; the comedic elements undermine the dramatic scenes, and vice versa. If you walk in the theater from a critical standpoint, you'll probably be left feeling disappointed, but if you approach it from a more casual standpoint, you'll find lots to enjoy. While the movie intermittently made me laugh and feel, it could have easily been a much better film if it committed to either comedy or drama. Also, they spoil the ending of Lost, so I'm subtracting an additional point off of my score. Yes, some of us still haven't finished watching that show. Expand
  3. Dec 29, 2012
    I agree with much of bl_nk's review, but I'll add that it's very long, but I never felt that it was too long or that I wanted it to end. It almost felt like a full season of Parenthood (though much funnier) crammed into 5 episodes. Most of the black humor resonated with me in particular - I noticed that I was often the only one laughing (hard) among the 20 or so people seeing the late,I agree with much of bl_nk's review, but I'll add that it's very long, but I never felt that it was too long or that I wanted it to end. It almost felt like a full season of Parenthood (though much funnier) crammed into 5 episodes. Most of the black humor resonated with me in particular - I noticed that I was often the only one laughing (hard) among the 20 or so people seeing the late, late show with me. My primary criticism is that it might have bitten off a BIT more than it could chew in terms of subplots and storylines. But Rudd and Mann are just flat-out funny. And I appreciate the basic honesty of the story. Apatow's kids are also excellent in their roles. Albert Brooks may have been a bit too strong for the film - he stole his scenes to the extent that he pulled focus away from the rest of the movie. So yes, the film employed a bit of a buckshot approach and was a touch unfocused, but I enjoyed it thoroughly. Expand
  4. Apr 15, 2013
    I actually rather enjoyed it. A lot more then I did Knocked Up or the most torturous film of all time aka Funny People. It does follow the basic Apatow formula Struggling/Childish adults becoming more mature and emotionally stable. However, what saves this film isn't the comedy but that it's real life. The situations happening through out the film actually happen. We all have to deal withI actually rather enjoyed it. A lot more then I did Knocked Up or the most torturous film of all time aka Funny People. It does follow the basic Apatow formula Struggling/Childish adults becoming more mature and emotionally stable. However, what saves this film isn't the comedy but that it's real life. The situations happening through out the film actually happen. We all have to deal with money problems, supporting elderly parents or parents who were never around much when we were growing up, As well as martial problems. I like that and thought that aspect of the film was well done. The humor did make me chuckle a few times but nothing serious but then again I saw it more as a drama film then a comedy after seeing the trailers so I wasn't disappointed with it. The run time is a bit too much and the film would have been better or at least more bare-able for some viewers if it were shorter but I didn't mind it. I didn't really mind all the sub-plots either because it all tied in with the film's main plot well enough to not be a bother. Acting is good, Rudd and Mann are at their best imo. Easily the best work Apatow has put out in years. Expand
  5. Dec 22, 2012
    This is classic Apatow-very funny and very naughty.Rudd and Mann make a good couple and the daughters are adorable.But Apatow needs to learn that sometimes less is more as this movie would have been better at 105 minutes than it is at 130 minutes.As funny as it is it seems very long for a comedy.
  6. Dec 29, 2012
    While this movie isnt perfect by any means, I feel its been getting a bum rap. As a 42 year old myself, I could relate to a lot of the humor and I really enjoyed the chemistry between Leslie Mann and Paul Rudd. My main problem is it seems there were too many underdeveloped plot issues where the meat and potatoes were left on the cutting room floor or just went left unsaid (the last 10While this movie isnt perfect by any means, I feel its been getting a bum rap. As a 42 year old myself, I could relate to a lot of the humor and I really enjoyed the chemistry between Leslie Mann and Paul Rudd. My main problem is it seems there were too many underdeveloped plot issues where the meat and potatoes were left on the cutting room floor or just went left unsaid (the last 10 minutes of the movie doesnt really tie anything up).
    Bottom line is if you are married and have kids and are nearing 40, then I definitely recommend this movie to you. If you are young and single....maybe not so much.
  7. Feb 14, 2013
    Funny. With a dose of pathos and melodrama. If an up-and-coming director made this it would be receiving the plaudits it deserves as a very very solid comedy/drama. I went to see it at 6pm on a wet Thursday in Scotland and the half empty theatre loved it. Judd's becoming a victim of his own success. Another great comedy. Genuinely funny people making a genuine, and genuinely funny, film.
  8. Dec 28, 2012
    This movie was hilarious! It had its serious moments that didn't get too dramatic and romantic moments that didn't get too cheesy. The humor was clever and probably too modern and advanced for the movie critics to comprehend. I really enjoyed the film and felt like a lot of the characters and situations between parents and children really hit close to home. Thanks for another great filmThis movie was hilarious! It had its serious moments that didn't get too dramatic and romantic moments that didn't get too cheesy. The humor was clever and probably too modern and advanced for the movie critics to comprehend. I really enjoyed the film and felt like a lot of the characters and situations between parents and children really hit close to home. Thanks for another great film Judd Apatow! Expand
  9. Feb 13, 2013
    Funny as heck!! Paul Rudd is the best! There are so many great moments that you can barely find time to stop laughing before something else happens. Anyone with pre-teen aged kids can relate to most of this story. My only real issue with the movie is that it is entirely too long for a movie of its type. Its a comedy about life at 40, not a Lord of the Rings trilogy!!
  10. Jan 1, 2013
    I really think Apatow is trying to win an Oscar. This film is so more serious and relatable than his previous ones, and I'm not sure how I like it. It's a pretty good movie and it definitely makes you question your realationships but the 2 and a half hour run time are felt, and at times it is more awkward than enjoyable. Still a pretty good movie even if it is nothing like the other ones.
  11. Jun 13, 2013
    So funny!!!!!! I laughed my butt off. I love all of Judd Appatow's movies. There is always a great combination of hilarious and meaningful sentiment towards them. Rudd and Mann make a great combo.
  12. Dec 24, 2012
    This movie offers truth, big laughs, and theories on what makes relationships so difficult to maintain in the modern world. The old saying "familiarity breeds contempt" could not be more true in most marriages and in these character's lives. I laughed almost every scene and so did the other four people with me. We all came out very surprised by how good it was. I would see it again.This movie offers truth, big laughs, and theories on what makes relationships so difficult to maintain in the modern world. The old saying "familiarity breeds contempt" could not be more true in most marriages and in these character's lives. I laughed almost every scene and so did the other four people with me. We all came out very surprised by how good it was. I would see it again. Although I would say Silver Linings Playbook is the funniest movie of the year, this is a close second. I would actually go see this again before I saw Silver Linings again. Because I understand these characters, I know these characters, most of us are these characters. Go see it, sit back and relax, and laugh. Expand
  13. Dec 26, 2012
    Very funny, entertaining movie...but I think it's probably not as good as Knocked Up. The most negative thing I can say is that it's super weird and awkward that Katherine Heigl's character from Knocked Up, Alison, is not even mentioned. I mean in Knocked Up, they're so close that Alison lives with her sister Debbie (Leslie Mann) and brother-in-law Pete (Paul Rudd), but in This is 40,Very funny, entertaining movie...but I think it's probably not as good as Knocked Up. The most negative thing I can say is that it's super weird and awkward that Katherine Heigl's character from Knocked Up, Alison, is not even mentioned. I mean in Knocked Up, they're so close that Alison lives with her sister Debbie (Leslie Mann) and brother-in-law Pete (Paul Rudd), but in This is 40, she's gone and not even mentioned? I mean maybe she moved away, but would they really pretend she doesn't exist? In the movie, we meet Debbie's father, and learn about her childhood, still no mention of her sister, Alison. Kind of weird. But, despite this, it's a funny movie. It is slightly long, but never slow or boring. Has a good amount of R-rated-ness for those that like their comedies a little less squeaky clean and a bit more adult. Expand
  14. Dec 22, 2012
    Overall this is an enjoyable and funny movie. It hit the comedic mark in many moments and was not a rehash of other films of this genre. But it was uneven and slow at times.
  15. Jan 5, 2013
    Leslie Mann and Paul Rudd (reprising the characters they created in "Knocked Up") turn 40 and deal with complications in their marriage, family and careers. There's not much of a plot line, just situations where they interact with each other and friends. In typical Judd Apatow style, the dialogue often feels improvised, but that doesn't stop it from being very funny. The supporting cast isLeslie Mann and Paul Rudd (reprising the characters they created in "Knocked Up") turn 40 and deal with complications in their marriage, family and careers. There's not much of a plot line, just situations where they interact with each other and friends. In typical Judd Apatow style, the dialogue often feels improvised, but that doesn't stop it from being very funny. The supporting cast is loaded with strong comic turns, esp. Albert Brooks & Melissa McCarthy. This movie is full insights into life and relationships that elicit chuckles of recognition and lots of laughs. Expand
  16. Mar 9, 2013
    Absolutely loved it. Favorite comedy of the year! Thought it was fantastic from start to finish. Was my life! Cannot wait to see what Rudd does next! 10/10
  17. Dec 29, 2012
    This movie was surprisingly good ! From now on I'm going to ignore the critic reviews when going into movies, because this one was way more enjoyable then they lead on. Rudd and Mann have the perfect chemistry as displayed in Knocked up. I love how their daughters grew up, and the actors are very believable as a family. And many of the actors from bridesmaids add more comedy to the allThis movie was surprisingly good ! From now on I'm going to ignore the critic reviews when going into movies, because this one was way more enjoyable then they lead on. Rudd and Mann have the perfect chemistry as displayed in Knocked up. I love how their daughters grew up, and the actors are very believable as a family. And many of the actors from bridesmaids add more comedy to the all ready funny plot. The only complaints I have is that the movie is overly long. Its not poorly paced at all, but it was a good two hours and ten minutes long, so be prepared for that. And my last complaint is that like fellow review "kristen58" pointed out is that Alison ( Katherine Heigel) and Ben (Seth Rogan) are absent and not even mentioned in this entire movie. They were the Main characters from Knocked Up and even though I see this film as a spin-off rather than a sequel from knocked up, It would have been a nice touch if they even referenced them. Mann's character constantly talks about her family and her father, but there is never even a mention of her sister. But overall I would definitely recommend this movie. Money well spent. Expand
  18. Dec 28, 2012
    This movie was hilarious. I wasn't expecting much because of the so-so reviews, but I was really surprised. The lines were great and the the cast carried them off beautifully. Loved Leslie Mann, but I thought that Albert Brooks stole the movie. Would've loved even more of him. Judd Apatow knew exactly what he was doing, maybe because it is his life, but even if not, he was spot on.This movie was hilarious. I wasn't expecting much because of the so-so reviews, but I was really surprised. The lines were great and the the cast carried them off beautifully. Loved Leslie Mann, but I thought that Albert Brooks stole the movie. Would've loved even more of him. Judd Apatow knew exactly what he was doing, maybe because it is his life, but even if not, he was spot on. Funniest movie of the year! Expand
  19. Dec 24, 2012
    If you aren't laughing throughout this movie, then you are either not being honest with yourself about what it means to be 40ish, or take yourself W-A-Y too seriously. This movie was like staring into the mirror. And yes, if you are 40ish, married, living in the 'burbs, with kids you have definitely had one or more of the conversations / situations depicted in the film. Judd Apatow has aIf you aren't laughing throughout this movie, then you are either not being honest with yourself about what it means to be 40ish, or take yourself W-A-Y too seriously. This movie was like staring into the mirror. And yes, if you are 40ish, married, living in the 'burbs, with kids you have definitely had one or more of the conversations / situations depicted in the film. Judd Apatow has a knack for portraying comic honesty in real life. Judd Apatow's filmmaking seems to capture the basic flaw in Gen X, many of us lack some basic maturity. His films show us the reality of our stunted lives and make us laugh heartily. Congratulations to an accomplished filmmaker. Expand
  20. Feb 13, 2014
    It's sometimes sweet and often funny, the entire film is a brutally honest look at life around the mid-life crisis time. As far as comedy goes this movie can provide tons of laugh-out-loud moments that make excellent use of the film's vulgarity. It's not always providing hilarious moments, there are plenty of times when the film is relying on more dramatic and emotional moments, but theIt's sometimes sweet and often funny, the entire film is a brutally honest look at life around the mid-life crisis time. As far as comedy goes this movie can provide tons of laugh-out-loud moments that make excellent use of the film's vulgarity. It's not always providing hilarious moments, there are plenty of times when the film is relying on more dramatic and emotional moments, but the movie is at it's best when it is.

The film is, for the most part, excellently cast. Most of the minor characters provide just as many hilarious moments as the main cast, but there are a few odd choices. For instance it's clear that they want Megan Fox's character to be more than just a minor inclusion, but they fail to make her character funny in any way shape or form, resulting in her being nothing more than eye candy. Also some of the funnier minor characters like Melissa McCarthy ended leaving me wishing they had more screen time.

"This Is 40" is a very funny movie that will please audiences 40 and older the most. Not everything is going to stick with you, but what does stick will have you chuckling at the very thought of it. It's not going to appeal to everyone, I might have been too young to understand the more dramatic bits, but those who have been though this part in their life are sure to find a real treat with this movie. As long as you aren't expecting a masterpiece you shouldn't be disappointed.
  21. Jun 23, 2014
    This Is 4o is an excellent movie from Judd Apatow. The nail is pretty much nailed on the head regarding marriage and children. There were just so many familiar sights on offer here! Plus it was really funny.
  22. May 27, 2015
    This is 40 is a tale of 2 movies. The first hour and half seems forced, unnecessary and has mindless conversations. The last 40 minutes, Apatow brings back his old ways of comedy and has some of the funniest scenes since The 40 year old Virgin.
  23. Apr 6, 2013
    A remarkably funny movie based around concepts that feel so relatable and honest. The improvisation in this movie was great, and you really feel as if you understand the characters. Fun and serious and everything in between in only a way Judd Apatow could deliver.
  24. Dec 25, 2012
    This is 40 was hilarious. In my New York cinema on Christmas Day the crowd started laughing from the first line and didn't stop til the end. Metacritic can make you doubt the wisdom of critics sometimes; this was easily the most enjoyable film I saw all year (other than Brooklyn Castle). Go see it - and stay for the credits.
  25. Jan 2, 2013
    I absolutely loved this movie and didn't want it to end. I can't wait another 5 years for a sequel, I want Apatow to write another immediately, or put everyone in a sitcom or reality show. I laughed and I cried, I love Leslie and her daughters the most.
  26. Apr 30, 2013
    A typical Apatow movie funny with enjoyable stars, but a tad long. This film was enjoyable mainly because you have Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann two very likeable and funny stars.
  27. Apr 16, 2013
    There are a lot of great comedic actors having great fun here. Like many of Apatow's films, it's too long, kind of self-indulgent and not quite sure of what it wants to be. However, the characters spoke to me. It's not so much a study on middle age, but not knowing where you are in life, at any age. It isn't perfect, but it doesn't have to be.
  28. Mar 2, 2014
    judd apatow films are amazing expect the 40 year old virgin . leslie mann and paul rudd are funny including melissa mccarthy . but judd keeps making r rated films . make a pg13 film first
  29. Nov 23, 2014
    This is 40 is a movie for anyone in their teenage years to anyone in middle age. Its full of good laughs and this movie does very well considering Seth Rogen is not featured in the sequel to Knocked Up. Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann are great. Another great Judd Apatow film.

1. Reviewed by: David Hughes
    Feb 11, 2013
    With his fourth film as writer-director, Judd Apatow has arguably made his most personal film yet, without forgetting to make us laugh.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Mueller
    Jan 11, 2013
    Apatow's return creates a pleasantly sprawling, perceptive study of mid-life angst that never lacks for laughs. Promoting Rudd and Mann from Knocked Up's margins to centre stage proves to be a shrewd move.
  3. Reviewed by: Henry Barnes
    Dec 21, 2012
    It's not bad, exactly – but it is boring and very rarely funny. This is laboured. This is aimless. This Is 40. It's really quite a grind.