6.0

1. Jul 12, 2014
    funnier than expected, but its a typical 1 time see movie and thats it.at least you can see leslie´s **** and megan is always welcome
  2. Jun 23, 2014
    This Is 4o is an excellent movie from Judd Apatow. The nail is pretty much nailed on the head regarding marriage and children. There were just so many familiar sights on offer here! Plus it was really funny.
  3. Mar 2, 2014
    judd apatow films are amazing expect the 40 year old virgin . leslie mann and paul rudd are funny including melissa mccarthy . but judd keeps making r rated films . make a pg13 film first
  4. Feb 13, 2014
    It's sometimes sweet and often funny, the entire film is a brutally honest look at life around the mid-life crisis time. As far as comedy goes this movie can provide tons of laugh-out-loud moments that make excellent use of the film's vulgarity. It's not always providing hilarious moments, there are plenty of times when the film is relying on more dramatic and emotional moments, but the movie is at it's best when it is.

The film is, for the most part, excellently cast. Most of the minor characters provide just as many hilarious moments as the main cast, but there are a few odd choices. For instance it's clear that they want Megan Fox's character to be more than just a minor inclusion, but they fail to make her character funny in any way shape or form, resulting in her being nothing more than eye candy. Also some of the funnier minor characters like Melissa McCarthy ended leaving me wishing they had more screen time.

"This Is 40" is a very funny movie that will please audiences 40 and older the most. Not everything is going to stick with you, but what does stick will have you chuckling at the very thought of it. It's not going to appeal to everyone, I might have been too young to understand the more dramatic bits, but those who have been though this part in their life are sure to find a real treat with this movie. As long as you aren't expecting a masterpiece you shouldn't be disappointed.
  5. Feb 2, 2014
    There are so many wrong things about this un-funny comedy that I am not sure where to start. The very loose plot revolves around a rich married couple, with two daughters. All the members of this family spend most of their "quality" time shouting at each other.

Despite this, hubby (Paul) and wife (Debbie) carry on their dysfunctional marriage for reasons impossible to understand. They
    both are immature, self-absorbed and kept together only by sex.
    Several scenes involve trivial language and cringe-inducing situations.

To mention but a few: Debbie insults a kid, after having read his comments on her daughter's facebook page (how utterly pathetic to see an adult woman losing it with a kid for such a trivial reason...); Debbie going to the disco with her employee and behaving like a teenager; Paul spending a lot of time in the toilet (we have the pleasure of seeing him taking a dump not once but twice), etc.....

The only saving grace for me was that this was supposed to be my in-flight entertainment, so at least I had the pleasure of not paying for a ticket.
  6. Dec 8, 2013
    Epically awful......................................................................................................................................................
  7. Aug 15, 2013
    Cliche, predicable, boring, annoying add up to waste of time. It's just a sequence of celebrity and brand name dropping with adults acting out as irresponsible adolescents and adolescents acting out as mouthy brats. I watched half before calling time-of-death.
  8. Aug 6, 2013
    The first word that comes to mind with this movie is "miserable". There was no central plot and the parts that actually were there are put out there and then ignored and practically unused. It was just plain terrible with very few parts even attempting comedy.
  9. BKM
    Jul 18, 2013
    The movie has its fair share of laughs, although none of them are of the gut busting variety, and Mann and Rudd do a commendable job of carrying the film on their combined shoulders. But This Is 40 ultimately fails due to a maddening lack of focus. It feels like it's trying to go in ten different directions at the same time.
  10. Jun 13, 2013
    So funny!!!!!! I laughed my butt off. I love all of Judd Appatow's movies. There is always a great combination of hilarious and meaningful sentiment towards them. Rudd and Mann make a great combo.
  11. Jun 4, 2013
    "While it comes with many flaws. This is 40 is a calmly funny, up-beat comedy that takes us through the mid-life crisis. While its not always laugh out loud funny. Thanks to comedic timing by Rudd & Mann, this movie saved itself from being a much worse" C
  12. Apr 30, 2013
    A typical Apatow movie funny with enjoyable stars, but a tad long. This film was enjoyable mainly because you have Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann two very likeable and funny stars.
  13. Apr 29, 2013
    This film was completely garbage, it shows that Judd Apatow can out anything and it will be picked up by some mainstream studio. This film is nothing like Knocked Up so if you are hoping for some similar laughs you are lookin in the wrong place. This movie consists of a married couple and moaning about life not living up to their expectation. Completely and utter crap.
  14. Apr 27, 2013
    There are some funny one-liners, but the irresponsible nature of the characters in this movie drove me nuts. The fathers in this movie are total dead beats and all the fighting and bickering got annoying. If there is one message to take away from this, having kids is no reason to keep someone around!!!
  15. Apr 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't waste your time on this dud. Judd Apatow has made and/or produced some funny movies. "Forgetting Sarah Marshall", "Superbad", "Bridesmaids" were all good comedies. "The 40 Year Old Virgin" was okay. "Knocked Up" (to which "This Is 40" is sort of a sequel to) was mediocre while "Pineapple Express" stunk. He executive produces on HBO's rather entertaining "Girls".

The main problem with this movie is that the main characters are basically a pair of privileged, lying, mean-spirited, manipulative white people and it's really hard to care about them and their first world problems. There were times when the couple were almost relatable but then they'd go and do something borderline sociopathic and I was right back to hating them. This couple were okay as supporting characters in "Knocked Up", but really can't carry their own movie so one is left wondering why Apatow thought this would be a good idea.

I am a parent. I understand what it is to love your kids and want to give them every opportunity to succeed in life. That said, Judd Apatow has got to stop thinking that letting his irritating daughters, Iris and Maude, act in his movies is a good idea. It's bad enough that the characters they are playing are given crappy material to work with, but it's made far worse that neither of these little hellspawn munchkins could act their way out of wet brown paper bag. Every scene they're in is excruciating.

Some of the cameo appearances by Apatow regulars are fun. Some are not so fun. Charlyne Yi as Jodi is painfully unfunny, especially in a scene in a coffee shop where her character is high on oxycodone and starts doing these really bad croaky voices. Charlyne Yi is undoubtedly a better actress than Megan Fox, and yet Fox's character is infinitely more watchable and definitely much more likeable. Scenes like this one seem to have been written (or more likely improvised) in the hopes of making stoners laugh. I wouldn't have found that s*** funny even in the days when I did smoke pot.

This movie stinks. Save yourself the boredom, pain, and two hours you'll never get back and skip this sucker...
  16. Apr 16, 2013
    There are a lot of great comedic actors having great fun here. Like many of Apatow's films, it's too long, kind of self-indulgent and not quite sure of what it wants to be. However, the characters spoke to me. It's not so much a study on middle age, but not knowing where you are in life, at any age. It isn't perfect, but it doesn't have to be.
  17. Apr 15, 2013
    I actually rather enjoyed it. A lot more then I did Knocked Up or the most torturous film of all time aka Funny People. It does follow the basic Apatow formula Struggling/Childish adults becoming more mature and emotionally stable. However, what saves this film isn't the comedy but that it's real life. The situations happening through out the film actually happen. We all have to deal with money problems, supporting elderly parents or parents who were never around much when we were growing up, As well as martial problems. I like that and thought that aspect of the film was well done. The humor did make me chuckle a few times but nothing serious but then again I saw it more as a drama film then a comedy after seeing the trailers so I wasn't disappointed with it. The run time is a bit too much and the film would have been better or at least more bare-able for some viewers if it were shorter but I didn't mind it. I didn't really mind all the sub-plots either because it all tied in with the film's main plot well enough to not be a bother. Acting is good, Rudd and Mann are at their best imo. Easily the best work Apatow has put out in years. Expand
  18. Apr 13, 2013
    Hmmm. This was a movie that seemed to have come out of Apatow's clinic of typic movies. This movie had his typical earmarks such as being a major platform for informing the public about his love of music to say the least. It was also infused with Paul Rudd's befuddled rants and Mann's classic freakouts. Combine with McCarthy's run-of-the-mill psychotic episodes, it was just too much of the same thing as these actors typically do in the other Apatow movies. Too much of the kids arguing, too much jokes that didn't land, and let's face it, if you're not married/have kids/and or 40, alot of what might be subtle humor just will fly over your head, but at the fault of not directing the humor in a way that us minority might understand it. The addition of Megan Fox was just insult to injury on that front. Overall, I didn't absolutely hate it, but after the credits rolled, it left me thinking "wow, that wasn't very funny." Expand
  19. Apr 12, 2013
    This movie is CRAP! I recall it being a comedy but it is just actors reading a script in front a camera. The only person who added life to this movie is Megan Fox...just saying.I normally like to watch movies that show real life events but those kids are just TV BRATS that would influence REAL LIFE BRATS. My opinion is this movie is
  20. Apr 6, 2013
    A remarkably funny movie based around concepts that feel so relatable and honest. The improvisation in this movie was great, and you really feel as if you understand the characters. Fun and serious and everything in between in only a way Judd Apatow could deliver.
  21. Mar 31, 2013
    It's hard to feel sorry for people who live in a $900.000 house, drive a 5 series BMW and a Lexus SUV, own a large heated swimming pool, use iPhones/iPads/iMacs, have a Spine surgeon as a father and who organise large garden BBQ parties. These 'poor' characters are bogged down by simple superficial problems that could be easlily solved and are plagued by their Mid-life crisis, coz their relationship doesn't feel as fresh anymore. Mediocre acting by Mann & Rudd makes you care even less about the outcome of this 137 min long self indulgent nagfest. It seems Apatow only had one good movie in him, so maybe he should consider another job... Expand
  22. Mar 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a disappointing movie, This is 40 turned out to be. Paul Rudd is hilarious and he was the best character from Knocked Up. Then factor in the premise of this film and you would think the movie would be fantastic. However, that couldn't be further from the truth. Yes, Paul Rudd is still great but other than him, this movie is horrible. First of all, the most obvious flaw is their daughters' complete and total lack of anything resembling acting ability. Honestly, is was just sad. I'm starting to side with a friend of mine who thinks kids should just be banned from acting in general because they're that bad. While I don't always agree with that assessment, he could use this film as Exhibit A when making his case. Secondly, the film's plot is pieced together like crap. I'm sorry but there's just no eloquent way to put it. This film made me question whether or not Judd Apatow even knows how to make a movie. Scenes jump from one to another without any rhyme or reason and a good portion of the scenes could be completely left out of the movie being that that add absolutely nothing to the character or plot development nor are they funny. Actually, that segues perfectly into my next point. This movie was WAY TOO LONG and you feel every minute of it, especially for the first half of the film, because of the terrible scene transitions. My last problem, the ending was a joke. Did Apatow forget about Rudd being hit by a car door? How does the result of that not get touched on before the conclusion of the film? Bottom line, Rudd is hilarious and Megan Fox is absolutely smoking but everything else about this movie is a big disappointment. Don't waste your time. Expand
  23. Mar 25, 2013
    I was disappointed by this movie. I had high hopes that it would be funny and a good time to watch. It had it's funny moments but it wasn't anything special. I know the movie was going for a genuine relationship, but I just felt like were fighting the entire time. If I wanted to see a couple fight, I could have stayed home. The movie was also too long, the ending dragged on a lot and I feel like they could have deleted a few more scenes. Megan Fox was awesome to look and Paul Rudd is always adorable. In all, I just wasn't impressed. Expand
  24. Mar 20, 2013
    Bland, annoying and badly executed, Judd Apatow disappoints once again. If you liked Knocked Up, give this one a miss.

These movies with family members playing major roles don't ever work, learn your lesson Apatow.
  25. Mar 14, 2013
    I found myself smirking lightly a few times during this one. It was pretty boring to be honest. I found just disappointed after every scene with the children.. how does a father say to his young daughters that I wish they had a dick? Or the fact they yell out "I'M GONNA KILL YOU"! The usual manufactured Hollywood movie. This movie was filled with so much Satanic symbolism, aside from the main theme of the movie. Along with the cruel context between the people in the movie, it just shows how repetitive this absurd formula is. Of course they have the children act as little brats, parents glorifying them, speaking to them with utmost disrespect. This movie also endorses sex, power, and drugs, aside being “happy” all the time. These are all the same variables that are in most Hollywood movies that are used to inflict emotion to audiences. These emotions disarrays people from the reality that these practices are so disgusting. But hey to most of you I’m sure this is just another “conspiracy” lol, Educate yourself. Peace. Expand
  26. Mar 12, 2013
    Utterly Missable. 2 hrs I'll never get back. Steer clear unless you enjoy watching a spineless husband and a psychotic wife repeatedly arguing and whining, with a halfhearted peace-making occasionally thrown in to break the monotony which it actually becomes part of. The cheap one-liners are too weak and too rare to offer any conciliation. If not for Apatow's previous successes this film would never have been made. 4 THUMBS DOWN. Expand
  27. Mar 9, 2013
    Absolutely loved it. Favorite comedy of the year! Thought it was fantastic from start to finish. Was my life! Cannot wait to see what Rudd does next! 10/10
  28. Mar 3, 2013
    A family drama that doesn't end with a marriage collapsing or strengthening. A film that maintains the status quo while being utterly foul and equally as heartfelt. This is 40 follows Pete and Debbie from Knocked Up as they enter what they perceive to be middle age and decide to change their lives for the better although in reality it might just be for the worst, the absolute worst. It's a film designed for the modern family, or that's what all the posters and adverts seem to suggest but to be honest the idea that this film is something for the modern family is completely absurd. In fact the family portrayed in this film feels nothing like the modern family (does anyone really know what a modern family is?), it feels dated even for 2013, I mean even the Lost references (there are plenty) are 3 years old. It's a film that does have a lot to say about family and does display a interesting family unit and a unique view of what a family should look like as compared to the idealised one we have in our head. This family unit is a strong one and each character interacts well with each other. However that's not to say the film is just about family and portrays family perfectly, its a very flawed film too. It's middle suffers due to some boring plot developments and lackluster jokes that befit a much different film. Ultimately its a film that seems it was written in parts with the beginning and the end meshing with each other well but the middle feeling wholly out of place and wrong. The middle does have some merit in fact Megan Fox surprises with a hilarious supporting role as one of Debbie's employees. However it is the ending that really raises the film up above Apatow's usual fair with some touching family moments that feel real. The inclusion of Albert Brooks and John Lithgow as Pete and Debbie's respective fathers gives a nice contrast and makes for some decent conflict the these characters. It's a film that has a huge chunk of a flaw but its one that you can ultimately shrug off thanks to an ending that reminds you why you liked these characters to begin with. Expand
  29. Feb 22, 2013
    Pete and Debbie, the loveable couple from Knocked Up, are back in the "sort of sequel" This Is 40. The couple are both turning 40, within days of each other, and decide that the number means it's time for a change, for them, as well as their family. They get new jobs and reconnect with family on their journey toward becoming a more mature couple, but it comes at a cost. Judd Apatow writes and directs this unique comedy, so I was expecting another hilarious winner, but they can't all be winners. The cast is fantastic and there are more than a few good laughs here, but this movie is extremely long and drawn out for a romantic comedy, and while it starts out strong, it starts to grow tiresome. There are many scenes between husband and wife that are boring and completely unnecessary. What I did like was how Apatow cast his daughters to be Pete and Debbie's daughters. They really are sisters and there was no pressure working for their dad, allowing them to really make it seem like this is a real family, and it's a good thing too, because for as good as both Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann are, they just didn't have much chemistry together. Both cast members were good in portraying their own characters, but when you put them together you see that something just isn't right about the pairing. I loved the concept and you will definitely laugh during this film, but it does lack a certain chemistry and is far too long for what it is. Expand
  30. Feb 14, 2013
    Funny. With a dose of pathos and melodrama. If an up-and-coming director made this it would be receiving the plaudits it deserves as a very very solid comedy/drama. I went to see it at 6pm on a wet Thursday in Scotland and the half empty theatre loved it. Judd's becoming a victim of his own success. Another great comedy. Genuinely funny people making a genuine, and genuinely funny, film.

1. Reviewed by: David Hughes
    Feb 11, 2013
    With his fourth film as writer-director, Judd Apatow has arguably made his most personal film yet, without forgetting to make us laugh.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Mueller
    Jan 11, 2013
    Apatow's return creates a pleasantly sprawling, perceptive study of mid-life angst that never lacks for laughs. Promoting Rudd and Mann from Knocked Up's margins to centre stage proves to be a shrewd move.
  3. Reviewed by: Henry Barnes
    Dec 21, 2012
    It's not bad, exactly – but it is boring and very rarely funny. This is laboured. This is aimless. This Is 40. It's really quite a grind.