Columbia Pictures | Release Date: June 12, 2013
7.1
Generally favorable reviews based on 724 Ratings
WATCH NOW
joanJun 16, 2013
I adored this movie. I never stopped laughing. The humor is raunchy as hell, but it's not the shock, it's the truth of how people would react in these circumstances that makes it great. And there's actually a real sweetness to it. I cameI adored this movie. I never stopped laughing. The humor is raunchy as hell, but it's not the shock, it's the truth of how people would react in these circumstances that makes it great. And there's actually a real sweetness to it. I came out of the movie inspired and still laughing to myself. If you liked Superbad, Pineapple Express, or Tropic Thunder, you should really enjoy this. Expand
Lambo442Oct 2, 2013
This film had me laughing from start to finish. What a great concept for a film and with the brilliant dialogue, superb performances (especially from Danny McBride), awesome special effects and superb ending, this film stands out in mind asThis film had me laughing from start to finish. What a great concept for a film and with the brilliant dialogue, superb performances (especially from Danny McBride), awesome special effects and superb ending, this film stands out in mind as one of the best comedies I've ever seen. It even managed to succeed my high expectations. Expand
sridhardcJun 12, 2013
This movie is absolutely hilarious. Extremely raunchy and crude, but funny at every turn it takes. Go see it if you want to laugh! As for the best actor, everybody is good, but Danny McBride, Franco and Hill take the cake.
BUTCHYPIEJun 15, 2013
Went to see this with a mixed crowd of folks, age-wise, and all of us agreed it's one of the funniest comedies in a long while. It's a fun ride, and I want to take it again!

The movie works on a bunch of levels: comedy, horror, thriller,

The movie works on a bunch of levels: comedy, horror, thriller, spiritual (really) and bromance. Big smile on my face. It's not just a stoner flick.

Also, a call out to the writing. Tight script.
Hagani96Jun 12, 2013
I never write reviews, but this movie is an instant classic. The creativity and the improvisation are, as always, big parts of what make the movie work. But also just the sheer joy of watching Hollywood's lovable actors cooped up in one houseI never write reviews, but this movie is an instant classic. The creativity and the improvisation are, as always, big parts of what make the movie work. But also just the sheer joy of watching Hollywood's lovable actors cooped up in one house with one each other during an invasion make this movie sure a memorable time at the theaters. "This Is the End" is a perfect watch throughout the strand of disappointing comedies as of late. Maybe its because of the lack of creativity in Hollywood or because it really is sheer genius, "This Is the End" is the funniest movie I can remember watching in the theaters. Must see. Expand
LoucetiosSep 21, 2013
Badass movie, what more can I say. These guys need to keep doing this

If you're waying up whether to watch this or not.. WATCH IT

Get your best friends over and you will have a blast
Beavz0rJun 14, 2013
Although I tend to enjoy the collaborations of the 'Judd Apatow' crew anyway, this movie actually exceeded my expectations significantly (if not based on Danny McBride's performance alone). In a year that had until now nothing butAlthough I tend to enjoy the collaborations of the 'Judd Apatow' crew anyway, this movie actually exceeded my expectations significantly (if not based on Danny McBride's performance alone). In a year that had until now nothing but lackluster comedic releases, there's finally one worth going to. Expand
ProteusJun 12, 2013
Instant classic. This movie is so funny, so outrageous, so filled with energy you should put Man of Steel and every other movie on hold. Do yourself a huge favor and just go see it.
NoxiousJun 18, 2013
This movie was straight up hilarious. I went with my dull brother and he "laughed a couple of times." I humor is just one of those things I'll never understand...not understand how some people view it.
HorganshwagJun 24, 2013
Easily makes my top 5 list of comedies, Just go see the movie, you'll love it.

DeitiesforsaleJun 30, 2013
Any movie as crude as this one will not receive great reviews. Don't let that put you off. The whole cinema was laughing out loud at least once every five minutes. Massively entertaining, and refreshingly conjured.
ThegodfathersonJun 12, 2013
From Superbad to Pineapple Express and now This is the End, the West Coast writing duo Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg have specialized in movies about modern bro-ships. In with their new apocalyptic comedy This is The End, friendships areFrom Superbad to Pineapple Express and now This is the End, the West Coast writing duo Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg have specialized in movies about modern bro-ships. In with their new apocalyptic comedy This is The End, friendships are strained as never before and yet the calamity always starts from a kernel of truth. A prank for TMZ-obsessed times, This is the End features a galaxy of stars playing themselves, like a Mad Magazine parody brought to life. The story starts simply Montrealer Jay Baruchel flies to L.A. to meet up with his Canadian homey Seth Rogen. Baruchel is looking forward to a quiet evening of dope and Xbox but Rogen wants to hang with his hip Hollywood friends. James Franco's having a party at his new pad. And so the dynamic is set. Rogen as the mellow peacemaker Baruchel as the reluctant insider who never really belongs. So we see Franco playing it up as the pretentious poser, his Hollywood digs covered in his latest art acquisitions. Jonah Hill comes off as a polite, but snide, social climber, with a gaudy diamond to accent his d-bag status. Craig Robinson just wants to chill, appearing as a towel-slinging Romeo looking to ride out his last days. In terms of just what is occurring in This is the End, I don't want to reveal too much, but let's just say it gets Biblical. In terms of pure schadenfreude, it's unlikely you've seen this many famous faces fall to their death since The Poseidon Adventure. But the breezy 1970s disaster movie production values give the carnage an almost campy feel. Like a demonic cross between The Hangover and Ghostbusters, This is the End works because the comedy springs from an emotional truth. Every riff seems to come from the question "What would I do now?" Like so many Seth/Evan collaborations the action is anchored around the friendship in this case between Seth and Jay. It might sound dull, but in a comedy filled with dangling demon parts and hell hounds, it helps to be grounded. It's that mix of improv, irreverence and reality-based beginnings that makes This is the End a comedic revelation. Expand
DusksparkSep 22, 2013
Finally an ejoyable comedy with an interresting story to it, too."This Is The End" brings together a large cast of Hollywood stars playing none other than themselves, struggling to survive in James Franco's house after the Apocalypse rainsFinally an ejoyable comedy with an interresting story to it, too."This Is The End" brings together a large cast of Hollywood stars playing none other than themselves, struggling to survive in James Franco's house after the Apocalypse rains down on Earth. Expand
Pablo22Jul 11, 2013
This is the end review

This is the end review

When was the last time a movie blew your expectations away? And it did it not with lots of drama, emotions or even action, but comedy? Well for me it was a long time ago. And I'll tell you, my expectations where very high about this one. I love Evan Goldberg movies and with the help of Seth Rogen something good had to come out of it.
So when this movie began I was a little worried. Though I cracked up many times at the beginning at at the party sequence there was something missing. And I'm not saying it was bad at all! There where some really funny references with celebrities and coked up Michael Cera was some really funny I'm just saying it was going somewhere different than I expected.
But ten minutes later the apocalypse started. hit the fan celebrities died and then we got the five friends trapped in James Franco's house. From here the mechanic, the acting, the improvising, the writing just improved by the second. And this lasted till the END of the movie! The chemistry between all of the actors was so natural and the timing of the jokes was so spot on! Danny McBride had some of his funniest scenes that I've seen in his movies in This is the End and Jonah Hill played this version of himself that I just crack up when thinking about it. Of course Franco, Baruchel and Robinson also where hilarious and smartly done. The Emma Watson sequence adds some lady badassery to the movie! And *SPOILERS* *SPOILERS* by the time near the ending when they go out of the house and encounter the "new" McBride was my favorite twist in scenery o the movie. The gimp man! I was gagging for air in that scene! When Channing Tatum says like "I loove hiim" I went full on peeing my pants laughter.
What follows... Celine Dione, The Backstreet Boys did the satyrical part of the movie. The be good do good to go to heaven was smartly written and the awesome never-ending party in the skies was a perfect representation of what we actually would expect heaven to be!
By the end you had this feeling of having had the best and funniest time watching this awesome ****.
This movie showed the audience and the industry that we don't need all the cheap hit comedies that use the getting hit in the balls and fart humor that is getting worse by the day. Adam Sandler just got by this movie.
I hope Rogen and Goldberg keep making these marbles and keep cracking us up. Congrats dudes!
I'm giving this good time a 10 outta 10.
MustangMatt07Jun 15, 2013
Easily one of the best comedies I've seen in recent memory, and i'm the type of movie fan that goes to see everything. Also, best ending to a comedy ever.
SamuelcdJun 29, 2013
Little did I expect This is the End would become my favourite film of 2013 so far and perhaps even one of my favourite comedies of all time. The dialogue is spot on, every joke hits and hits hard and somehow each scene was funnier than theLittle did I expect This is the End would become my favourite film of 2013 so far and perhaps even one of my favourite comedies of all time. The dialogue is spot on, every joke hits and hits hard and somehow each scene was funnier than the last! A must see. Expand
ethanliuJun 23, 2013
this movie is absolutely hilarious! James Franco leads the acting with a hilarious and unforgettable performance. Seth, Jay, and Craig are hilarious, and Michael Cera was shockingly brazen, as opposed to shy in the majority of his film work.
SoopersuitJun 20, 2013
This is one of the funniest movies I have seen in forever. I laughed throughout the entire movie to the point of tummy aching and tears running. Don't read anything about the movie beforehand...don't watch the trailers...just go see it. TheThis is one of the funniest movies I have seen in forever. I laughed throughout the entire movie to the point of tummy aching and tears running. Don't read anything about the movie beforehand...don't watch the trailers...just go see it. The surprises are the best part and there are many. Brilliant cast, hilarious concept, fantastically funny. Seriously...go see and eff these idiots who gave this movie a zero. Expand
Patticake520Jun 21, 2013
An absurd comedy that is laugh out loud funny. Sometimes you sit in the ocean ready to surf a wave and you sit there all day; this movie catches the wave and provides a most satisfying ride. The main stars in it are in virtually everyAn absurd comedy that is laugh out loud funny. Sometimes you sit in the ocean ready to surf a wave and you sit there all day; this movie catches the wave and provides a most satisfying ride. The main stars in it are in virtually every scene,no bit roles here. Their relationships, self absorption and glean into Hollywood mentality brew together as a comedic roller coaster. Yes there are a few scenes that are less than, but what comedy doesn't? Overall this film is definitely worth the time and price of admission. Expand
Erron5607Jun 24, 2013
Consistently funny from beginning to end, with a lot of self-deprecating humor. I loved the finale with a particular musical cue that was gut splitting. I think the thing I appreciate most, was the attention to technical detail that theConsistently funny from beginning to end, with a lot of self-deprecating humor. I loved the finale with a particular musical cue that was gut splitting. I think the thing I appreciate most, was the attention to technical detail that the filmmakers gave to crafting this gem. It would have been easy to have low grade special effects, but all of the visual effects work was solid, which only enhances this masterpiece. Michael Cera, and Danny McBride really steal the show, never failing to skewer their own image, or really go there with being despicable and hedonistic. This is one for the ages. Well done, Seth Rogen! Expand
danthevanmanJun 24, 2013
This is literally the funniest movie I have ever seen in my life. With it's cast, I expected no less. You best bet I'll see it again before it leaves theaters!
JillianAJul 2, 2013
This movie was shockingly good. I am decidedly not their target audience (29 year old married female professional) but I was choking with laughter. I saw World War Z immediately after and this movie crushed it. Loved Jay Baruchel, Craig TThis movie was shockingly good. I am decidedly not their target audience (29 year old married female professional) but I was choking with laughter. I saw World War Z immediately after and this movie crushed it. Loved Jay Baruchel, Craig T Robinson and Danny McBride. They were amazing. Expand
andreslopezOct 7, 2013
OH.MY.GOSH. i just watched the movie, what an awesome one hahah i laughed so freakin' hard definetely one of the best movies of this year so far.. for real.
pureeveiloneSep 23, 2013
The movie have funny interpretations of the characters and the turn of events come so fast and so odd lest you have nothing to do but laught. Both the writer and director are genius.
SimpleView45Oct 8, 2013
Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg hit it out of the park out again. This time, taking the biblical foretelling of the apocalypse and injecting it with weed humor, celebrity cliches, and a whole lot of other fun stuff. We are introduced toSeth Rogen and Evan Goldberg hit it out of the park out again. This time, taking the biblical foretelling of the apocalypse and injecting it with weed humor, celebrity cliches, and a whole lot of other fun stuff. We are introduced to fictionalized, exaggerated take offs of their real life counterparts; Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel James Franco, Craig Robinson, Jonah Hill and Danny McBride face off the apocalypse when it comes to James Franco's doorstep, following a house-warming he was throwing for himself.

The film is sprinkled with cameos left in right, one minute you see the coke-head Michael Cera, next you're seeing the dulling-everything-down Jason Segel, and you can't forget the singing-to-explain-everything Rihana. Normally, it would bother me to see something like this happening, but these exaggerated counterparts add the right spice. In their counterparts, Seth Rogen is, obviously, a huge pot-head, Jay Baruchel is a nation-prided Canadian who hates every last minute of being in the US, Jonah Hill is the too-friendly nice guy of the group, James Franco is a self-centered art aficionado, Craig Robinson... is here, and Danny McBride is royally screwing up everyone's crap.

You could tell that nearly every line of this film was improved, Rogen even stated in an interview that "50 percent of it was improvised." But, leaving the movie in the caring hands of such great actors is the right call, I usually like to read scripts of films after seeing them, but I have the strong feeling that I don't need to read this one, as much as I respect source materials, I have to say; whatever Rogen and Goldberg could have even written probably couldn't meet the comedic level broken by this film.
lagos09Oct 27, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Do you like art? I like art. This movie “This is the End” is art. As James Franco says, “You’ve ever been to Subway? You order a sandwich, someone put that together for you. That’s art”.
  If you are looking for a great laugh “This is the End” is the movie for you. From beginning to end it is filled with weed, drugs, dick jokes and Seth Rogen laughs. The basic plot revolves around Jay Baruchel who visits from Canada to spend time with one of his best friends, Seth Rogen. Jay is not much of a people person and does not really like the “L.A. lifestyle”. Seth wants Jay to get to know his Hollywood friends so Jay and Rogen go to James Franco party filled with celebrities such as Michael Cera, McLovin, Kevin Hart, Jona Hill, Craig Robinson, and Danny Mcbride. When Jay and Seth decide to walk to the store an earthquake starts and beams of light begin sucking people into the sky. As the ground starts to crumble beneath them, Seth, Jay, Franco, Hill, Craig, and Danny take refuge in James Franco’s newly built house. As they try to figure out what is going on, all six of the friends have to deal with an apocalyptic world and each other in order to stay alive. As the story progresses, everyone’s true feelings about each other surface.
  If I had to take a guess, I believe this is how a celebrity party would go down. Craig Robinson would be playing the piano while Michael Cera does coke and slaps Rihanna’s ass. The actors are essentially playing themselves. In a way, I think this is how their personalities truly are, just exaggerated.
  Some of the things I enjoyed about the movie was the way they foreshadowed certain events. For example, in the beginning Seth and Franco are sitting down during the party discussing a sequel to “Pineapple Express”. Franco says the ending of the movie should involve Franco saving Seth and Danny eating Franco. This is exactly what happens at the end of the movie. Franco sacrifices himself for Seth and eventually gets eaten by cannibal Danny McBride. This brings me to Danny. He is by far the funniest main character. He played the obnoxious friend that people eventually get fed up with.
  Another thing I appreciated was the soundtrack. Each track complemented perfectly with it’s scene. Psy’s ‘Gangam Style’, Backstreet Boys, and Cypress Hill exemplified the diversity within the movie’s music.
  In the end, the friends started to believe the biblical apocalypse was happening. Their goal was to do right by each other in hopes that God will save them and they’ll go to heaven.
  The moral of the story is, no matter what wrong you do you can always make them right. “This is the End” was easily the funniest movie of the summer, possibly, the year. This was the funniest movie I’ve seen in awhile. If you have not seen it yet, I would definitely Redbox or buy it. “This is the End” gets five stars and two thumbs up.
ambenderDec 28, 2013
The actors playing pseudo versions of themselves premise is inspired, and This Is The End ranks among the funniest and most outrageous comedies I have seen. Rogen and Goldberg prove themselves more than capable directors, and have crafted oneThe actors playing pseudo versions of themselves premise is inspired, and This Is The End ranks among the funniest and most outrageous comedies I have seen. Rogen and Goldberg prove themselves more than capable directors, and have crafted one of 2013's best Expand
CECtheRoninJan 30, 2014
This Is The End is a movie that really shouldn't have worked, yet had me doubled over laughing for the entire film. The idea of a bunch of Hollywood actors playing exaggerated versions of themselves as a band of survivors in the BiblicalThis Is The End is a movie that really shouldn't have worked, yet had me doubled over laughing for the entire film. The idea of a bunch of Hollywood actors playing exaggerated versions of themselves as a band of survivors in the Biblical Apocalypse sounds like something that should fall flat on its face, but it surprisingly carries the whole way through, in part because the actors look like they're having a ball making it. To say more would risk spoiling some hilarious scenes, so I'll give you some brief non-spoiler comedic highlights: Jonah Hill's shtick as the nicest guy in the world, Jason Siegel lampooning his own role on How I Met Your Mother, Michael Cera as an unapologetic sex and cocaine addict, anything that Craig Robinson does, the fake trailer for Pineapple Express 2, and EVERYTHING involving Emma Watson. So if you're into getting some unapologetically raunchy and ridiculous comedy with a surprising amount of heart, catch it in theaters while you can. That said, approach with caution if you're allergic to the Backstreet Boys because you'll have that stuck in your head after you're done. Expand
Longo12Feb 13, 2014
Great movie! I thought it was hilarious!! I love all the actors in it and its one of those movies that just doesn't get old! Possibly the best comedy since Shaun of the Dead or the first Anchorman.
lukechristianscOct 11, 2014
" Seth Rogan's directorial comedy is THE BEST OF THE CENTURY OF ALL COMEDIES ". fgjbhrngfsreionhfiugthhgbtugvbfyugvbugvbtnuygfbvuyvbrgvjbvuyfbvgyvfuibvgrhuybvyuhb
canadianrugbyJun 19, 2013
This Is the End has a great cast and delivers from start to finish. If you are a fan of the movies that these actors make you will laugh your ass off. Must watch.
TVJerryJun 18, 2013
Good friends Seth Rogen and Jay Baruchel go to a party at James Franco's. While they're there, the apocalypse happens. This leave them (plus Jonah Hill, Danny McBride & Craig Robinson) alone to survive as disaster and the Devil overtake. AGood friends Seth Rogen and Jay Baruchel go to a party at James Franco's. While they're there, the apocalypse happens. This leave them (plus Jonah Hill, Danny McBride & Craig Robinson) alone to survive as disaster and the Devil overtake. A liberal sprinkling of celeb cameos adds to the fun. Watching this posse of self-involved, insult-spewing, wimps as they panic and offend provides lots of quick-fire laffs. Much of the humor is absurd, wacky and plenty raunchy, which makes it even more hilarious. Expand
tazer234Jun 12, 2013
Laugh out loud funny. Ridiculous situations bringing only more ridiculous laughter. Hilarious in every way. Rude, crude, and gut busting. A must see.
RoscoJul 2, 2013
Very simply an instant classic!! One of the funniest films I've seen in a long time. It's ridiculously hilarious!! Based on Seth and Jay vs. The Apocolypse, This Is The End finally hits the big screen. The plot centres around Seth Rogen, JayVery simply an instant classic!! One of the funniest films I've seen in a long time. It's ridiculously hilarious!! Based on Seth and Jay vs. The Apocolypse, This Is The End finally hits the big screen. The plot centres around Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, Jonah Hill, James Franco, Craig Robinson & Danny McBride, where fictional versions of themselves must deal with the aftermath of an apocalypse! In many ways the film shouldn't work. But believe me it does! It's just genius comedy I mean c'mon there are worse ways to spend an apolocypse than homing up at James Franco's house with a bunch of stoned celebrities! It's such an audacious comedy. Yet it succeeds because of it's creativity. Some of the cameo roles are genius! Rihanna? Emma Watson?! But, the best is Michael Cera. Unmissable!! It's the wildest comedy of the year but something that you truly have to witness for yourself. There really isn't a lot of words that you can use to tell you about this it's one of they films you just have to see for yourself. The dialogue alone is outrageously funny! I haven't laughed naturally so much at a film in a long time. This is the must see comedy film of the year. Make no mistakes, it's daring, rude, crude, smart, inspiring and utterly hilarious. Expand
LuckilyCursedJun 12, 2013
The straight-up End of Days has a nice way of bringing out the real deal of many people, and in this film is certainly so for a small cadre of actors. If you've seen Seth's works before, particularly Superbad and Pineapple Express, chancesThe straight-up End of Days has a nice way of bringing out the real deal of many people, and in this film is certainly so for a small cadre of actors. If you've seen Seth's works before, particularly Superbad and Pineapple Express, chances are you'll enjoy this movie.

Rapture comes calling, and these few survivors are stuck in Franco's tacky mansion forced to learn how the new age of the world works, if they can figure out how to live with each other, and how exactly to find more sustenance without wandering outside too much, if they can help it.

Plenty of laughs, slightly horrifying imagery (so many phalli, don't bring the kids) and a metric butt-ton of cameos it's definitely one of my new favorite films.
OnAnarchyJul 2, 2013
The most original unoriginal movie I've ever seen. I'm not a fan of most comedies, but this movie was one of the rare gems that pop out every now and then. Rogen, Baruchel, Franco, and Robinson are amazing as exaggerated versions ofThe most original unoriginal movie I've ever seen. I'm not a fan of most comedies, but this movie was one of the rare gems that pop out every now and then. Rogen, Baruchel, Franco, and Robinson are amazing as exaggerated versions of themselves. Truthfully, the movie made me feel like I was watching how myself and some of my bros would deal with the same situation. Excellent film and absolutely hilarious. Expand
elleakayeJul 12, 2013
Just watched this film last night and I have to say, well done to Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen. I realize this film isn't everyone's cup of tea, and it's not. The humor is raunchy, it's extremely gory and provocative, and most feminists haveJust watched this film last night and I have to say, well done to Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen. I realize this film isn't everyone's cup of tea, and it's not. The humor is raunchy, it's extremely gory and provocative, and most feminists have already tallied all of the rape jokes featured. These traits does not make it a horrible movie by any means. It's actually quite thought provoking. I left the theater thinking how do I treat people? Would I actually be chosen if anything like this happened? Am I being judged by some higher power? I think that speaks a lot about such a film. Something you wouldn't get from most apocalyptic action flicks where the good guy saves the day in the end or someone makes a sacrifice where all of earth is saved. Earth is not saved, it's instead completely inhabited by demons and left to rot along with the remaining horrible people left. It's a fantastic insight into the apocalypse. Also the fact that it's surrounding the lives of a bunch of celebrities makes it that much better. Here's actors who are well loved by fans, who have a ton of money and power, and yet they aren't safe and no number of Oscars are able to keep them from being judged. You can easily judge this film harshly for its content, but what about films like Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, Scary Movie, or Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny? I just can't see judging a film based off of it's raunchiness when there are plenty of films that are far worse. If anything, that's why there's an R rating to warn you that it's pushing the envelope and that it's not suitable for younger generations so as long as parents respect those, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Expand
CityOfGodPulpFJun 17, 2013
Drags a little bit and like almost every comedy ever misses at times, but for what it's trying to be this is hilarious especially. Best enjoyed not sober (use your imagination). If you think movies like Big Lebowski, Pineapple Express, PulpDrags a little bit and like almost every comedy ever misses at times, but for what it's trying to be this is hilarious especially. Best enjoyed not sober (use your imagination). If you think movies like Big Lebowski, Pineapple Express, Pulp Fiction, SuperBad, ZombieLand, Shaun of the Dead, Half Baked, Will Ferrell at his best are funny to hilarious you'll enjoy this a ton Expand
alfaalex101Jun 17, 2013
Seeing how this movie got rated by critics 68/100 and users 80/100 just shows how out of touch critics are. How can someone review a movie if they have seen a billion of them and are almost completely jaded?

Anyways, funniest movie I have

Anyways, funniest movie I have ever seen right alongside The Great Dictator, Zack and Miri make a porno and 21 Jump Street. Lots of raunchy, offensive humor and sexual jokes. Plenty of memorable scenes that will pop up in your mind as you go about in your day, or you may incorporate them in a joke. One of the first movies I have ever seen that I want to go see AGAIN. Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill and Craig Robinson are an unstoppable duo in comedies.

GreenmemberJun 21, 2013
This Is the End is one of the best comedies I've watched in a long time. It's basically celebrities (comedians in particular) playing themselves, making fun of themselves, during the apocalypse. There are some of the best cameos around, andThis Is the End is one of the best comedies I've watched in a long time. It's basically celebrities (comedians in particular) playing themselves, making fun of themselves, during the apocalypse. There are some of the best cameos around, and right off the bet there's a joke about Seth Rogen. Every star gets their fair share of screen time and has a personality established for them. This is by no means a comedy for the mature, there are penis jokes galore, but the cast is so damn funny you'll smile throughout the entire movie and have tons of laughs. The overall message is pretty simple and the movie is somewhat predictable, but at the end of the day I went to this movie to laugh, and I laughed my ass off and it's been one of the best crude comedies I've seen in a long time. Collapse
ClayMerrittJun 19, 2013
Best comedy I've seen in a long time. Last year's blockbuster comedy, Ted, was hilarious, but was tedious. This is the years Blockbuster comedy, This Is The End, was written & directed by Seth Rogen & Evan Goldberg, was excellent. Some peopleBest comedy I've seen in a long time. Last year's blockbuster comedy, Ted, was hilarious, but was tedious. This is the years Blockbuster comedy, This Is The End, was written & directed by Seth Rogen & Evan Goldberg, was excellent. Some people complain about the story, but come on.... its a comedy, stop taking it so serious. Anyway, best comedy you'll see this year. I guarantee it. Expand
Compi24Jun 15, 2013
Ranchy, asinine, and nauseating throughout, "This Is The End" may not be for some who are easily offended, but it's most assuredly one of the uniquely hilarious black comedies I have ever seen.
survivorfan989Jul 10, 2013
This was a very funny movie and perhaps could have had a perfect rating if it wasn't for Danny McBride. He was the film's biggest problem and I loathed any scenes with him, but McBride aside the film's concept and delivery from the cast wasThis was a very funny movie and perhaps could have had a perfect rating if it wasn't for Danny McBride. He was the film's biggest problem and I loathed any scenes with him, but McBride aside the film's concept and delivery from the cast was spot on! A lot of the jokes were hilarious and I really enjoyed Craig Robinson, as well as leads Baruchel & Rogen. Sure its silly but in a way that simply works well for the film and I can see a lot of people really enjoying this movie like I did Expand
SimpleMethodJul 29, 2013
Seth Rogen and company singlehandedly save 2013 from the being the worst year in comedy of the last five. I adore and appreciate This is The End for this reason, and because it was mainly improvised. If you're in the mood for a laugh, check it out.
cool1707Aug 3, 2013
This is a really funny movie. The whole cast are out of different movies that i really like so i was excited for this and will have to say that it is way better than i thought it be i knew that i would like it but i didnt think that it wouldThis is a really funny movie. The whole cast are out of different movies that i really like so i was excited for this and will have to say that it is way better than i thought it be i knew that i would like it but i didnt think that it would this good of a movie. There were some really stuid parts but that is the whole comedy of the movie the stupid parts are the comedy Expand
BrianMcCriticJun 14, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The funniest film I've seen in a long time. This is what an R rated comedy should be like not playing safe andjust going for it. The cameos in this film are also fantastic from Emma Watson to coked out Michael Cera to Channing Tatum this film is hilarious. Expand
Movie1997Jun 12, 2013
Man, oh Man! This movie was way different than I thought it would be. It is extremely hilarious and fun/enjoyable to watch. It's weird how, the story (in a sense) is kind of unoriginal. I mean, it's an apocalypse movie. But when you combineMan, oh Man! This movie was way different than I thought it would be. It is extremely hilarious and fun/enjoyable to watch. It's weird how, the story (in a sense) is kind of unoriginal. I mean, it's an apocalypse movie. But when you combine it with a story where the actors play exaggerated versions of themselves in the same situation, you have one killer movie. Everyone in this movie was awesome and funny. Let me also say this. Craig Robinson, you've had a rough start this year, but I'm happy to say that you've redeemed yourself. Your officially on my good side once again. Also, the story and the humor mixed in is surprisingly clever. Plus the fact that they also mention stuff from there other movies as well. Like James Franco's fake arm from "127 Hours" and Danny ranting on Seth's previous roles. If you don't know what I mean by that, watch the teaser trailer. I even loved Emma Watson in this movie. Yet, she's not really a full blown cameo, but all the time she was in this movie, I loved her. But the best part of this movie was Micheal Cera. I've never really been a big fan of him, but now I can say that even though he wasn't in the movie very long, he was f-ing awesome for the time he was in the movie. I've been so excited to see this movie, and now that it's hear, I'm glad that it was an amazing movie. Overall, it's an original/outrageously hilarious apocalypse movie. Expand
mbeckfordJun 22, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "This is the End" is a laugh riot. Has Seth Rogen ever been in a bad movie? His lowest rated movie per RottenTomatoes is "The Watch" (16%), but I thought that was a pretty funny and entertaining movie. I think "The Green Hornet" is the limpest of the bunch. I you are offended by that adjective, you definitely should NOT watch this movie as there are more male body/sex/potty jokes than I've seen in any other movie in my lifetime (and I am old enough to remember Porky's).

At face value, it seems like it would be pretty hard to screw this movie up with Seth Rogen, James Franco, Jonah Hill, Danny McBride, Michael Cera and a dozen others playing themselves during the "Apocalypse." Even Rihanna and Harry Potter's Emma-freaking-Watson have extended cameos. There is one cameo that is so absurd and crazy that it would be a major spoiler to reveal it.

Speaking of spoiler alerts, you'd think that the cause of the Apocalypse wouldn't be revealed, but that hasn't been the case with one reviewer mentioning that it as a literal interpretation of the Bible's Book of Revelations. You're at least 45 minutes into the movie before they reveal what is really happening (unless you are, or were, raised Catholic. Then you get it pretty early on).

Yeah, it's also a riff on the egocentricity of Hollywood celebrities, but who really cares unless you are an avid reader of TMZ or Perez Hilton. The real brilliance is in the dialogue, a ton of which has to be ad-lib/improv. There are so many jokes in this movie told in the context of the story it would fill a TV comedy series for multiple seasons.

This is a two-hour comedy movie. Do they make any comedy movie that long? I just hope it has a "Lord of the Rings" style Extended Edition on DVD.
Hey-PersonJun 12, 2013
This Is the End is by far one of the funniest movies I have seen in a long time. First off, the movie does something that hasn't really been done in a comedy. It is actually portrayed as if it is real life and the actors are played asThis Is the End is by far one of the funniest movies I have seen in a long time. First off, the movie does something that hasn't really been done in a comedy. It is actually portrayed as if it is real life and the actors are played as themselves. This does sound very gimmicky and seems like something that may not work out right, but this movie plays it off very well. But this movie is pretty over the top, but not to over the top as many of the other Seth Rogan, Jonah Hill, etc. movies can be....well except the last part. So many laughs here and there. And going into the movie, I did not know that Jay Baruchel was like the main main person, but it works out nicely as well. Other than that, I think the movie is amazing, the only downside for me was the very end. It's just a little too cheesy for me. But that's just me. Expand
knnthp3Jun 28, 2013
I am not a Seth Rogen fan, however, this movie is truly a great funny comedy. This movie is not going to win any Oscars but it is damn funny.

Everyone plays themselves, or should I say a version of themselves, in this comedy gem from director Seth Rogen. The movie is an end of days apocalypse movie with a message about what it means to be an honest and good person. As Seth Rogen and company venture through the impending doom and rapture, they encounter everything from beasts and exorcisms to one pissed off Hermione. Speaking of which, the cameos in this film are all great and get pretty decent screen time too. I had pretty low expectations going into this film but I can safely say this is a DVD purchase and it has tremendous rewatchability with tons of quotable one liners.

Watch for Danny McBride, who is this film's scene stealer and delivers probably one of the best laugh out loud moments I've had in a long time. He is an underrated comedic genius in this movie.

I highly recommend this movie to be seen in the movie theater and worth the price of admission. It might be the best comedy of the year.
titusdaddyJun 12, 2013
Great movie! Everyone in the cast did an awesome job but I especially loved Michael Cera's performance. Laugh out loud funny from beginning to end. The fact that it's the apocalypse and not some global disaster is a nice change of pace.Great movie! Everyone in the cast did an awesome job but I especially loved Michael Cera's performance. Laugh out loud funny from beginning to end. The fact that it's the apocalypse and not some global disaster is a nice change of pace. If you are fan of any of these guys at all you must see this movie! Go now! Expand
haileyawJun 13, 2013
Excerpt from the blog: tilfilmdouspart.blogspot.ca

Excerpt from the blog: tilfilmdouspart.blogspot.ca

Although the film had a very thin script, it is full of laughs and has outrageous gags that works in the end for a very enjoyable film. I would not recommend this movie to people easily offended though, for me, the offensive is hilarious. Reportedly Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg (the co-directors) had a running joke on set to see how many people would say "I can't do that", Seth was the only person to not say so. The movie provided an interesting insight into a Hollywood party that isn't real but makes you wonder how some celebrities are in real life. For example, is Michael Cera really a coke head that slaps women's butts and has a huge penis(per Mindy Kaling's opinion), doubtful but fun to imagine.

At the heart of this film is the bromance between Jay and Seth and to a lesser extent Seth and James. I felt that Jay's character got too bad of a rap for the first 2/3 of the movie. He is described by everyone else as self righteous, to me he just appeared to not enjoy himself but due to this labeling he seems to move into the role later on. Their story is somewhat sad though, watching two old friends drift apart.

Some not so great parts. At 107 minutes, the movie felt as long as it was. For Rogen and Goldberg's first foray into directing it wasn't anything special from a direction aspect. The film benefited mostly from the script written by the two and the performances from the group. That it is for parts I did not like about it. It was that enjoyable.

I would highly recommend seeing this movie. The laughs are nonstop, the cameos are epic and the movie is somewhat believable in how the cast would react to the apocalypse. 9/10

-Hailey

Edited by Josh.
YorkshiremanJun 29, 2013
The funniest movie I have seen in a long time. I was a big fan of Jonah Hill and Seth Rogen especially before this and they were funny as hell, but not a patch on Danny McBride, he was on another level of funny. I also enjoyed the fact theyThe funniest movie I have seen in a long time. I was a big fan of Jonah Hill and Seth Rogen especially before this and they were funny as hell, but not a patch on Danny McBride, he was on another level of funny. I also enjoyed the fact they played themselves and were able to just rip the hell out of each other, you wouldn't see many Hollywood actors doing that.

Go see this movie, now.
DiskMagazineJun 19, 2013
Out of all of the previous comedies to come out by these guys, this could possibly be the best so far. The humour portrayed crosses the lines of referential, slander, foreshadowing, over exaggeration of one’s personalities, and even toiletOut of all of the previous comedies to come out by these guys, this could possibly be the best so far. The humour portrayed crosses the lines of referential, slander, foreshadowing, over exaggeration of one’s personalities, and even toilet humour. What makes this story so interesting to follow is that it is simple and it’s “characters” are outstanding as themselves. You would think that a comedy starring 6 A-list comedians would be pretty straightforward. However, there are some very very creative, and sometimes dark, ideas all throughout this movie, filled with overblown personalities and endless cameos that are so short, that they make you want more, but making sure that no idea is overused, thus making it easily the best comedy of the summer to date. Expand
TheCammerJun 21, 2013
Haven't laughed this hard in a long time. It's raunchy, vulgar and immature which is exactly what I expected. Anyone scoring this film at less than 6 out of 10 is likely clinically dead.
RighteousOneJun 26, 2013
This hysterical and witty play of Armageddon is tremendously undervalued. "This is the End" will have you laughing and leaving you wanting more. The trailers for this movie led me into believing that this was going to be a mindless comedy butThis hysterical and witty play of Armageddon is tremendously undervalued. "This is the End" will have you laughing and leaving you wanting more. The trailers for this movie led me into believing that this was going to be a mindless comedy but I was pleasantly surprised of the wittiness of James Franco, Danny McBride and company. The only thing I would change about this comedic film is less Jay and more Danny. Expand
VO1DReviewsItJul 8, 2013
I thought this is the end is a very funny film, I found me and my friends laughing the whole way through, well worth the money. I read a review from the daily mail about this is the end and they gave it 1 star, which is completely despicable.I thought this is the end is a very funny film, I found me and my friends laughing the whole way through, well worth the money. I read a review from the daily mail about this is the end and they gave it 1 star, which is completely despicable. I thought all the character were unbelievably funny, I loved all the characters couldn't of been casted any differently, the critics are stupid just listen to the user reviews and I highly recommend this film easily 9 out of 10:)! Expand
EliteSep 15, 2013
This Is The End: Easily the funniest film of 2013 I haven't seen The World's End yet). This movie was just fantastic, all the actors played their parts very well, the story was surprisingly good for a film like this and at times the film gotThis Is The End: Easily the funniest film of 2013 I haven't seen The World's End yet). This movie was just fantastic, all the actors played their parts very well, the story was surprisingly good for a film like this and at times the film got a bit dark and disturbing. Seth Rogen and Jay Baruchel are easily the main characters in this movie and they both are extremely good in this movie, James Franco serves to be a bit of a leader for the film, Craig Robinson is the lovable funny guy, Jonah Hill is awkward and a bit annoying here. The standout character in the film would have to be Danny McBride as a crazy version of himself who really causes all the problems. A few people have some good scenes such as a coked up Michael Cera, an extremely cautious Emma Watson and a really strange appearance from Channing Tatum. All in all this is an extremely entertaining film, if you're a fan of these guys then definitely watch it. 9/10. Expand
ThatCooperGuyNov 23, 2015
Most of Seth Rogen's & Evan Goldberg's filmography can be some very solid stuff, but this time around they've gotten the director's chair, giving them more creative control. As a result, "This Is The End" not only passes being a good comedy,Most of Seth Rogen's & Evan Goldberg's filmography can be some very solid stuff, but this time around they've gotten the director's chair, giving them more creative control. As a result, "This Is The End" not only passes being a good comedy, but a good MOVIE as well. Brandon Trost's cinematography is great and the dialogue between the actors can be noticeably ad-libbed, but it feels very genuine since just about everyone turns in a brilliant performance. This was the first mainstream movie that portrayed actors as, well, normal people. They're imperfect and don't always have an answer to everything, it helps them become much more relatable as people. Some of them play exaggerated versions of themselves that's very fun to watch and it's pretty obvious that they're having a blast doing so. This movie is very re-watchable and it's certainly the best movie Seth and Evan have put out. I love it. Expand
VampireRawrJan 17, 2014
This Is The End is great very funny good acting story is original although one part they did not need was demons with Dicks really who wants to see that and really It makes the movie not as great as it could have been and probably in 5 yearsThis Is The End is great very funny good acting story is original although one part they did not need was demons with Dicks really who wants to see that and really It makes the movie not as great as it could have been and probably in 5 years people will forget about this because notable scenes will get cut when this airs on regular Tv or stations won't even show it because of that. Overall I think 21 jump street was the best comedy I seen in a while, this is right up their but not by a lot but it is good the best comedy of 2013 Expand
DiskJul 15, 2014
Blurb10Dec 10, 2014
This Is The End - Comedy's Second Coming

This Is The End - Comedy's Second Coming

I don't remember the last time I laughed as hard at the movies as I did during "This Is The End", the new apocalyptic meta-comedy from writers/directors Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg. Certainly not during their last two outings, the horrendous alien spoof "The Watch" (which they co-wrote) or the loud and obnoxious "The Green Hornet" (which they co-wrote and co-directed), both of which made me wonder if the creative team behind classics "Pineapple Express" and "Superbad" was running out of inspiration. But just when the notion of another "arrested development" comedy focusing on middle-aged men who refuse to grow up (and one so full of itself that it doesn't even try to disguise its vanity, having the actors play themselves) made you throw up a little in your mouth, out comes "This Is The End", defying expectations by both satirizing and embracing the very genre its filmmakers originated.
The plot is so simple it can be summarized in a single sentence: a bunch of popular comedians attempt (fruitlessly) to survive the apocalypse in James Franco's Hollywood house. The purposefully absurd plot doesn't matter though - it functions merely as an excuse for the actors to show off their individual comedic chops, and they do so with gusto. Everyone - and I mean EVERYone - makes an appearance, and even the tiniest cameo gets a laugh: Aziz Ansari's fall into the abyss; Christopher Mintz-Plasse's first time doing cocaine; David Krumholtz's final, desperate cry for help; and a very special cameo towards the end that I will not reveal, but I will say that he plays Danny McBride's leather-clad gimp, and whispers, "I love him", as he looks up at his master with a perfect combination of tenderness and fear. It all boils down to Baruchel, Rogen, Franco, McBride, Hill and Robertson, and the joys of watching this dysfunctional sextet make comedy magic, as they bicker and play and devise ridiculous plans.
The title of the film can be interpreted in different ways, the most obvious being the literal one: the damn thing's about The End of Days According To The Bible. It's surprisingly scary for short periods of time; clearly Rogen & Goldberg are children of the 1980s, raised on horror-comedies like "Ghostbusters", which I believe they directly reference several times here (the horned dog-monster looks like an upgraded version of the demonic hellhound from Reitman's classic).
The title may refer to the contemporary soulless state of society, as seen here through the distorted prism of the mega-rich and privileged, yet hopelessly clueless, Hollywood celebrities. The gimmick - that they play themselves - works in the film's favor; within the first five minutes Rogen takes a stab at his own cinematic persona by having a paparazzi inquire whether or not the actor will ever actually "act", and then insistently urge him to "do the Rogen laugh". Everyone else in the film, to varying degrees, is either obnoxious, shallow or innocuous. At one point, a conversation takes place about whether or not celebrities even deserve to go to heaven, for they are sinful by definition. Heady stuff, especially for a comedy in which one of the main characters is savagely molested by Satan Himself.
"This Is The End" could also imply that this motion picture marks the end of the aforementioned "arrested development" comedy sub-genre. After films like "Knocked Up", "Forgetting Sarah Marshall", "Cyrus", "Step Brothers", "Get Him to the Greek" and the dreadful "That's My Boy" seemed to have covered all bases, "This Is The End" takes the best aspects of those films and amplifies them exponentially. You want a five-minute heated argument about ejaculation? The Franco vs. McBride gut-busting exchange will be hard to top. How about an obligatory "tripping on hallucinogenics" sequence? The cliche is subverted by having our protagonists resort to ecstasy in the midst of armageddon. And Michael Cera - the ultimate man-child - plays a crass, coked-up version of himself, defying every preconceived notion we may have of the actor. His comic timing is impeccable.
The jokes, puns and visual gags hit a lot more often than they miss, the actors are all having a blast, and the film manages to achieve that rare fine balance between blockbuster entertainment and indie movie sensibilities. It's a vanity project that brims with energy, enthusiasm, crazy ideas and brilliant timing. "This Is The End" is truly the comedy to end all comedies about stagnant adolescence; hopefully, it will pave the way to a new era of more mature, character-based drollery.
MrMovieBuffMar 20, 2015
I don't get the hate this film is getting...everywhere I go to look at the user reviews, it's all negative...everybody seems to hate this movie. Last time I checked, this is a comedy film...co-written and co-directed by Seth Rogen. He's knownI don't get the hate this film is getting...everywhere I go to look at the user reviews, it's all negative...everybody seems to hate this movie. Last time I checked, this is a comedy film...co-written and co-directed by Seth Rogen. He's known for making crude and obnoxious comedies...seriously people LIGHTEN THE F**K UP!!!

Alright, basically the plot to this movie is that everybody in here are playing fictional versions of themselves. Jay Baruchel returns to Los Angeles with his friend Seth Rogen. Seth decides that he wants to go to James Franco's new house as he is having a party. Jay isn't so enthusiastic about this as he doesn't seem to get along with any of Seth's other "Hollywood" friends, but Seth manages to drag Jay along despite being a little pessimistic about it.

They arrive at James Franco's house and they meet some of Seth's other friends including; Jonah Hill (very funny and camp), Craig Robinson (very down-to-earth) and a host of other celebrities are there as well including a drug-consuming Michael Cera who keeps slapping Rihanna's butt and Emma Watson.

When Jay and Seth are taking a trip to the shop, the apocalypse begins and everybody seems to die in a horrific manner, or they are mysteriously being beamed up into the sky. When they arrive back at James Franco's house, they see the destruction and that's where the comedy really begins.

We see a number of celebrities dying in very hilarious situations simply because they are celebrities with a certain reputation and don't mind being degraded on screen.

Of course, the one man gate-crashing the party is an uninvited Danny McBride who makes everybody's life hell as he eats the food, doesn't help with finding survival items and more. One of the funniest scenes in the movie is when Emma Watson returns and thinks that she is about to get raped by one of the guys, so she breaks Seth Rogen's nose and steals their alcohol supplies. Another funny scene involves James Franco and Danny McBride arguing for about five minutes over who can ejaculate on whom. This scene had me in stitches.

I've never laughed so hard in so long...all of the negativity must be due to the fact that people found it offensive...it's a SETH ROGEN comedy...of course it'll be offensive. If you don't like it, there is no talking to you.
jbrown8989Jan 7, 2016
One of the funniest movies I've seen in a while! Great guest appearances and Laugh-out-Loud funny. I would consider this one of Seth Rogan's best films after Superbad.
HarrybizleAug 20, 2016
One of the funniest movies a have ever seen. this is movie is in my top 5 comedies of all time. all star cast and hysterical cameo's and even a heart warming end.
KillercadenFeb 4, 2017
This movie is an insane fantasy and comedy with a lot of amazing actors such as, Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, Craig Robinson, Danny McBride, James Franco, Jonah Hill and Micheal Cera. This is the end has a lot of different events that get evenThis movie is an insane fantasy and comedy with a lot of amazing actors such as, Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, Craig Robinson, Danny McBride, James Franco, Jonah Hill and Micheal Cera. This is the end has a lot of different events that get even crazier towards the end. I would suggest this movie if you like action, Sci-fi and of course, comedy. Expand
DiggidyDanOct 12, 2013
This movie was pretty funny. Some spots were just boring and same old dirty jokes, but there are moments that are flat out HILARIOUS and made me laugh out loud. Danny Mcbride's entrance was the funniest thing I have seen in years! I had toThis movie was pretty funny. Some spots were just boring and same old dirty jokes, but there are moments that are flat out HILARIOUS and made me laugh out loud. Danny Mcbride's entrance was the funniest thing I have seen in years! I had to rewind that part 3 times. Perfect movie moment. While overall the story is pretty dumb and there are some slow moments, It's worth watching just for the few huge laughs you'll git in spots, in my opinion. Expand
McGetumsJul 8, 2013
Fricken Hilarious! I've seen this twice in the theater and I can't wait till it comes out on dvd. It's not perfect but it's funny most of the time and they all have really good chemistry together which makes watching it a lot of fun. I hopeFricken Hilarious! I've seen this twice in the theater and I can't wait till it comes out on dvd. It's not perfect but it's funny most of the time and they all have really good chemistry together which makes watching it a lot of fun. I hope they do a sequel. Expand
DavebobJun 20, 2013
The movie is raunchy and hilarious fun. There are a couple of slow spots in this almost two hour movie but the ending is so funny it is worth the wait.
smk123Jul 5, 2013
If you're a fan of Seth Rogen's other movies you can probably assume you'll enjoy this too. However stay well away if you don't like wacky, surreal comedy, as this movie is jam packed with it. Certainly my favourite comedy movie since theIf you're a fan of Seth Rogen's other movies you can probably assume you'll enjoy this too. However stay well away if you don't like wacky, surreal comedy, as this movie is jam packed with it. Certainly my favourite comedy movie since the original Hangover movie, and I got plenty of laughs for the price of my ticket Expand
kevtheobaldJun 20, 2013
Classic comedy with a few scary moments. Yes, the humor does trend a little crude at times, but if you could not guess that from the trailers, you are not paying attention. All in all a good comedy that could have used a few tweaks to make aClassic comedy with a few scary moments. Yes, the humor does trend a little crude at times, but if you could not guess that from the trailers, you are not paying attention. All in all a good comedy that could have used a few tweaks to make a great comedy. Expand
Drej_X_ArmyJul 18, 2013
It wasn't fully funny throughout the movie, but does bring religion into play. I thought it was good. The jokes were decent and it reminds you that alot of people still view that the world will end this way.
AwesomeReviewerJul 2, 2013
"This is the End" is a highly original meta-comedy that puts well known actors into an apocalyptic world. It’s self-referential and the actors essentially play an exaggerated version of themselves. The film is filled with strong creative"This is the End" is a highly original meta-comedy that puts well known actors into an apocalyptic world. It’s self-referential and the actors essentially play an exaggerated version of themselves. The film is filled with strong creative writing with a lot of laughs. The themes are about being a good person and sacrificing yourself for something greater. The punches keep rolling, only slowing down in a few spots. Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg’s direction is pretty good. They handle spectacle and slow moments very well. I really enjoy how this film manages to throw curve balls once in a while and have the audience on their toes as the movie gets bigger.

The actors play an exaggerated version of themselves. Jay Baruchel is the main character and fights for his friendship with Seth Rogen over James Franco and has a rivalry between Jonah Hill, who is the funniest amongst the whole crew. The cast has great chemistry together as they play off each other very well and you can get a pretty good vibe that these guys are actually friends in real life. They’re all jerks and have to deal with judgment day as they attempt to survive and become better human beings. There are some great cameos from other actors in the film. The best would have to be Emma Watson as she plays a version of herself that we aren’t really used to. The only person that I didn’t like is Danny McBride. He’s annoying and aside from his introduction isn’t all too funny. The cast as a whole is pretty strong and work well together to bring us the laughs.

Overall “This is the End" is an excellent and highly original comedy. It’s extremely funny and smart filled with slapstick, situational, and self-referential humor. The laughs keep coming and only slows down a few times in the beginning and some parts in the middle. The special effects are handled well and the soundtrack supports the film very well. The actors have a fun time playing tabloid versions of themselves and play off each other very effectively. Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg’s script is top-notch and they greatly handle the ever growing scale of the film. I give it 4/5, original and great premise accompanied by a committed cast and laugh out loud humor.
JrAgujaIsAGleekNov 23, 2013
Despite its gross-out humor that might lead to some audiences being turned off, This is The End is a funny satire movie about the end of the world with its funny ensemble cast and cameos.
AthanasiosTSep 18, 2013
Nice comedy, lots of fun and pretty good effects, too I liked the "actors acting themselves" concept and parodizing themselves throughout the movie. Good nomination for a future classic cult comedy.
moonman1994Jun 19, 2013
A surprisingly well done movie. It's speckled with funny moments through out the entire movie and what really makes this film succeed is the fact that it's not just a comedy parody movie. It's a comedy and a apocalypse film. It's decentlyA surprisingly well done movie. It's speckled with funny moments through out the entire movie and what really makes this film succeed is the fact that it's not just a comedy parody movie. It's a comedy and a apocalypse film. It's decently funny and is filled with gratuitous celebrity deaths. Honestly what else can you ask for? Although it's not the best film ever it's much better than the average comedy of the past several years. Expand
SwatiNov 25, 2013
I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. A mega party of celebrities at James Franco's house goes awfully wrong when the Apocalypse strikes.

Just when you think you've got the movie figured out, it twists and surprises again. It makes you laugh even when people are dying all around. The celebrities play their own parodied selves_ backstabbing, lying, cheating at every turn. You think you can spot the good ones until they do not conform to God's minimal standard of being raised into Heaven and saved from the demons. And sometimes the ones you think are going to get the worst of it redeem themselves and are saved.

The mood is comic even with the fires of hell burning all around and everything going to s***. The concept of the Apocalypse is taken from the Bible and adjusted for comedy, but the bad guys still pay and the good ones still make it to Heaven. I don't get the people hating on this. If you're so afraid of being challenged out of your comfort zones, maybe you should stick to the feel-good movies where you might always be able to predict everything and feel so safe as not to be amazed at all.
python2000Jan 3, 2014
This Is The End is hilarious and has one of the funniest endings to a movie since Life of Brian. I hope Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg are planning another movie to direct.
azazqadirSep 16, 2013
This movie is really hilarious and fun to watch. If there is a best comedy movie released in 2013 yet, then it is This Is The End. This is a must watch. An intelligent blend of comedy and apocalyptic film elements.
sbucciniJun 24, 2013
This movie, while crass, is refreshing in its honesty. It's great fun to see some of the biggest names in the business poke fun at each other. Definitely worth watching, but save it for a night out with the bros rather than a date with yourThis movie, while crass, is refreshing in its honesty. It's great fun to see some of the biggest names in the business poke fun at each other. Definitely worth watching, but save it for a night out with the bros rather than a date with your significant other. Expand
ceefrostyJun 12, 2013
These guys are hilarious, and they really put their comedic talents on display in "This is the End". If you liked "Superbad" and "Pineapple Express", do yourself a favor and see this movie. You won't be disappointed.
VandyPriceJun 12, 2013
This is the End feels like the epitome of something I've been waiting a long time for. In reality it is slightly odd to think that this kind of product would ever be made and sold to general audiences, but luckily it seems the one almostThis is the End feels like the epitome of something I've been waiting a long time for. In reality it is slightly odd to think that this kind of product would ever be made and sold to general audiences, but luckily it seems the one almost guaranteed way for these actors who have now become staples of the American comedy scene to regain their place among the Hollywood elite and re-establish themselves as the kings of the comedy genre is to make fun of themselves and they do that to hilarious results here. Anyone who has ever been really into movies and has ever loved a certain comedic actor or group of actors knows what it's like to want to hang out with those kinds of guys and girls because you too feel like they would love to be your friend if not for anything else but because you share that same sense of humor they've branded. As creepy as that may come off or as much as they probably wouldn't care to be your friend at all we come to feel we know the actors in our comedies better than anyone else in the movies because they always relate closest to the kind of people around us, if not always intentionally. That may come off as slightly delusional to some, but to those who watch a good amount of movies, especially comedies, and to those that surround themselves with people that they find to be genuinely funny than I imagine it is as true for them as it is for me. All of that is to say that my anticipation and expectations for This is the End were pretty high. As one of the many apocalyptic comedies coming out this year I was also worried the film may not get the recognition I hoped it would so likely deserve, but first time directors Seth Rogen and his long time collaborator Evan Goldberg strike just the right chord between horror and comedy and lay claim to the fact they've had this in the works longer than anyone else. Thankfully, This is the End gives this brand of goofy subversive humor new life in the form of a sharp satire that invites us to experience the end of the world with who our minds have come to place as some of the most ridiculously funny people working today.

read the whole review at www.reviewsfromabed.com
Josh9797Jun 15, 2013
Excerpt from the blog: 'Til Film Do Us Part
Excerpt from the blog: 'Til Film Do Us Part

This is the End is a thinly written but hilarious comedy that examines how a group of celebrities would behave during the apocalypse. The writers and directors (Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen) have no intention of providing the audience with a thought-provoking story or complex characters. It seems that the main purpose of the movie is to simply make people laugh, and boy does it succeed.
MovieGowerJun 15, 2013
Fun and funny movie. Very crude comedy but it was well done along with the plot of the story. Great chemistry between the actors and funny seeing celebrity die in funny ways.
MooreReviewsJun 18, 2013
This Is The End Review

This Is The End Review

An interesting concept for Seth Rogan's first attempt to direct a movie, which could really have been a hit or miss. End of the world movies usually fall flat (2012), but the all star cast managed to make a pretty good movie. The appeal of the movie for me is that everyone plays themselves. Seth Rogan is "Seth Rogan", Jonah Hill is "Jonah Hill" and so on. It works well for the most part, but some actors come of annoying. I can simply not stand Danny McBride, he just bothers me. He is the sole reason 30 Minutes Or Less was not a good movie. In this movie his only purpose is to be a dick to everyone and its not that funny. But thankfully Franco and Hill manage to keep the movie afloat. Their are several cameos in the movie which was cool, especially one toward the end. Their are several hilarious moments and small inserts of violence that felt a little to forward, but funny none the less. Theirs something about playing soccer with a decapitated head of man that just offered to f**k" Seth Rogan that's just perfect. The special effects are comically awful, which I feel was done on purpose. Craig Robinson was probably my favorite part about the movie, and has one of the funnier scenes at the beginning of the movie while singing with Rihanna. To be able to get all the references in movie you have to be familiar with some of actors pass works. Actually I would encourage to watch Pineapple Express before seeing this as it has a pretty large part in the movie. Overall my only real compliant is that I wish that they would have worked on McBrides dialogue in the movie. Although being a jerk was his role in the movie, they could have made it funnier. This Is a good movie that I recommend to see if you have seen Rogan's and Franco's past work. If not wait for the rental, your not missing out by not going to the theater.

8.3/10
foochckyJun 17, 2013
To the people who give this a zero.....get over yourself! Seriously?!! Out of a 100 you give it a 0? I assume you know who the actors are and have seen at least a few of their movies. What were you expecting??? Citizen Kane?

There are

There are occasions where it feels as if the dialogue is improvised solely for improvisations sake. That can make parts of the film seem forced. Despite this flaw it's still a funny, and yes at times raunchy take on apocalyptic movies.

Just to add something else. Before seeing it I read reviews that didn't give away the ending, but also said they didn't like it. While it's not spectacular, I on the other hand enjoyed it just for the "Get the F@#$ outta here" laugh that it gave me.
IAmVeryMoistJun 21, 2013
Every year we get a whole new lot of comedies rolling out into cinemas. Rarely ever do they do what "This Is the End" does. "This Is the End" dares to be different, without losing sight of being absolutely side splittingly hilarious!

Seth

Seth Rogen, Craig Robinson, James Franco, Jonah Hill, Danny McBride, Michael Cera, Emma Watson and many many others all join together to create one of the funniest comedies I have seen to date. Personally for me after reading the cast for this movie I was very hesitant as most movies with all star casts tend to crash and burn under their own weight (ex. Movie 43). Luckily however, this is really just a bunch of friends getting together to make a hysterical movie and on that it succeeds brilliantly.

It's refreshing that the plot of this movie does not stick to most of the comedies structures that we see all the time, recent example "The Internship". The movie hardly ever takes itself seriously, aside from some scary and graphic scenes. But even then you'll be laughing almost immediately after. The great thing about this movie is that the plot had key points in which the actors would have to get to to progress the story but other than that every line is essentially ad libbed and improved based on all the actors just playing off each other.

Easily the best part of this movie is the inside jokes about the actors. For example James Franco makes jokes and references to his movies such as "127 Hours" and even references to his work with Seth Rogen in "Pineapple Express" and several other movies. You don't need to know their past work but it definitely will increase your appreciation for this movie.

Overall, I can't say for sure that if you don't like any of the actors involved that you will enjoy yourself. But I can say that it is one of the most original and down right raunchy comedies I have seen in a long while. All of the actor's "playing themselves" worked wonderfully and it was a roller coaster of laughs from start to finish.

I give "This Is the End" a 8.0/10
Knockout4Jun 21, 2013
"This Is The End" is a classic example of how comedies are supposed to be made. Straight up weirdness, craziness, and randomness. Yeah, it goes a bit over the top at times but it's still the best comedy to date in 2013. Also, if you haven't"This Is The End" is a classic example of how comedies are supposed to be made. Straight up weirdness, craziness, and randomness. Yeah, it goes a bit over the top at times but it's still the best comedy to date in 2013. Also, if you haven't heard, Craig Robinson is the bomb. Expand
Palehorse52Jun 22, 2013
All of our favorite guys from the current generation of comics as themselves in a insane comedy. I really liked the movie because of the natural timing and skill of the cast. Some of the demon stuff was a little hokey, alright a lot hokey,All of our favorite guys from the current generation of comics as themselves in a insane comedy. I really liked the movie because of the natural timing and skill of the cast. Some of the demon stuff was a little hokey, alright a lot hokey, but it was limited so it did not take away from the movie too much. The movie was not "scary" but my wife was more nervous during this than in World War Z. It is worth the watch and I will be ready for Pineapple Express 2! Expand
jolzkJun 25, 2013
When I first saw the trailer, it seemed okay. And during the movie, I've never publicly laughed out loud in a theatre, and this was a first, especially when you're laughing with the whole audience. The whole movie was just ridiculous and,When I first saw the trailer, it seemed okay. And during the movie, I've never publicly laughed out loud in a theatre, and this was a first, especially when you're laughing with the whole audience. The whole movie was just ridiculous and, obviously hilarious. Expand
thekid323Jun 30, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not going to lie the ending sucks. But the first half was so good that I don't even care. Definitely worth checking out and probably the best comedy we'll see this summer. Expand
jetstarJul 17, 2013
I have to say, This Is The End is the best comedy of 2013, so far. The last movie that made me laugh for a lot of times, was 21 Jump Street. This movie was just damn funny, but the funny thing about the movie is the characters. The actors inI have to say, This Is The End is the best comedy of 2013, so far. The last movie that made me laugh for a lot of times, was 21 Jump Street. This movie was just damn funny, but the funny thing about the movie is the characters. The actors in this movie play as themselves and the movie gets us to know what happens in their normal lives, this was done very well throughout the movie. The problem that I had with this movie is that it takes a long time for these characters to develop or change to a different characteristic and their were also scenes that got a bit draggy. The movie does a good job on making you laugh, and they succeed on that because their are a lot of scenes and punchlines that makes you laugh nonstop. This Is The End is a really good comedy flick and I am going to give it an 8/10. Expand
CP34Jul 19, 2013
While it is certainly no OSCAR contender, it is a well written, funny movie. The main players do a great job performing as their caricatures, and there are multiple laugh out loud moments. The plot gets a little wonky at times, but it isWhile it is certainly no OSCAR contender, it is a well written, funny movie. The main players do a great job performing as their caricatures, and there are multiple laugh out loud moments. The plot gets a little wonky at times, but it is likely intended that way. I only wish we had seen more of Michael Cera, his scenes steal the movie. Expand
BobLeeSwaggerJul 22, 2013
Loved this flick. Plot wasn't amazing, but that really wasn't the important part. The interplay between characters as themselves is amazing. It is a bit vulgar, but if you expect anything less from these guys that would be silly. I may be aLoved this flick. Plot wasn't amazing, but that really wasn't the important part. The interplay between characters as themselves is amazing. It is a bit vulgar, but if you expect anything less from these guys that would be silly. I may be a bit biased though because these guys are all in my list of favorite actors... except maybe Jay, but he was awesome in this too. Expand
DuckNationMay 25, 2014
ust an EPIC movie simple as that most fun iv'e had at the movie theaters this year by far. I have been waiting for this movie for about 6 now year back when it was called "Jay and Seth vs. the apocalypse". I'm so glad that it was made andust an EPIC movie simple as that most fun iv'e had at the movie theaters this year by far. I have been waiting for this movie for about 6 now year back when it was called "Jay and Seth vs. the apocalypse". I'm so glad that it was made and it's really everything I thought it was going to be. Non stop laughing from start to finish and it has amazing main cast James Franco, Jonah Hill, Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, Danny McBride, Craig Robinson. I love all those guys and have watched movies with them in them multiple times.

Now the film opens up Seth Rogen picking up Jay Baruchel from the airport so they can chill and hang out together at Rogen' house. Then Rogen get's a call about a party over at James Franco's house Jay doesn't really want to go but they end up going anyway. While at the party you see LOADS of cameos from more amazing actors like Michael Cera, Emma Watson, Paul Rudd, Jason Segel and plenty more but Michael Cera stole every scene he was in. He was just a coked up party whore they whole time and everything he says and does was golden and had me laughing.

Jay ends up needing a pack of cigarettes so him and Seth walk to a nearby store when Jay again tries to go back to Seth's house and just chill and then BOOM everything starts go down earthquake, dark skies, people disappearing. They run back to Franco's house to see that nothing has happened and they try to tell people what going on but no one believes them until another earthquake happens and everyone runs outside to see what's going on. They see that LA is up in flames and there's no where to go that's when a hole starts to appear right in front of them killing some people while others just runs away and this is how we get are main cast. So they get all the food, drinks, drugs, and put them all in one place and they try to go to sleep for the night when they wake up the next morning they see Danny McBride cooking and eating all their remaining food. From here we see them doing crazy stuff like doing a homemade sequel of films that they have done so we see them do "Pineapple Express 2 Red's Revenge" that was just too funny they also get robbed by Emma Watson that part was great.

More crazy stuff happens but that's for you to find out when you watch this amazing movie also the ending was just pure amazingness.

Overall i give it a 8.0 for sure blu ray, for sure watching multiple times!!! can't wait
MovieGuysJan 30, 2014
This Is the End starts out hilarious, fresh and has the makings of a great movie. As the movie gets into its final third, it starts to drag a little bit and the high begins to wear off, but overall the actors were vey funny and the filmThis Is the End starts out hilarious, fresh and has the makings of a great movie. As the movie gets into its final third, it starts to drag a little bit and the high begins to wear off, but overall the actors were vey funny and the film itself was enjoyable. Expand
MattG_123Jan 1, 2014
The funniest comedy in years, and has a great original idea. I think it makes it all the better because everyone in it plays themselves. It's funny because they point out and exaggerate things about each other, and they all feel like friendsThe funniest comedy in years, and has a great original idea. I think it makes it all the better because everyone in it plays themselves. It's funny because they point out and exaggerate things about each other, and they all feel like friends who get on each others nerves. Hilarious and original movie!

This is the End gets an 8.4/10
CPD98Oct 18, 2014
Prometía poco al principio (estuve bastante serio durante los primeros 20 minutos), pero en cuanto llega el apocalipsis, la trama mejora mucho. Es muy absurda y excesivamente malhablada pero consigue hacer reír al fin y al cabo.
iCronicJul 12, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Didnt expect much, very underrated movie, it was a great comedy. The chemistry was good, very absurd at the end, the cameo from tatum was **** genius Expand
audreythomas25Dec 30, 2015
Probably the most self-indulgent wank in movie history, yet on occasion it's hilarious.

Watch this here for free http://www.watchfree.to/watch-1ded8f-This-Is-the-End-movie-online-free-putlocker.html