7.5

1. Nov 10, 2013
    My wife loves sci-fi and being the sensitive husband I am, I've sat through "Ender's Game" last Sunday and "Thor: The Dark World" today. "Thor" won out but neither was bad.
    I vaguely recalled the plot from the first movie, but like it, I was more impressed with the special effects and settings. The shots of the Asgard capital and the invasion were truly impressive, as the numerous cosmos shots. Plotwise, it was standard stuff, good vs. evil, honesty vs. treachery, blah blah blah.
    What saves this sequel is the acting of Tom Middleston, aka Loki, who has more personality than any other actor on screen maybe except for Anthony Hopkins. Here his services are needed to beat the bad guys in a nine sphere (whatever that is) alignment whose vortex just happens to be Greenwich Village in London. Imagine that.
    The other saving grace is well placed genuinely funny scenes, some in the middle of chaos that keep things from getting too self righteous. Even Stan Lee gets a funny cameo.
    Otherwise, "Thor: The Dark World" doesn't exactly blow minds but for a get away movie that doesn't take itself too seriously, it'll do, especially in a year of a lot of clunkers. Still, I'd rather see "Captain Phillips" again.
  2. Feb 20, 2014
    Well this was a surprise. I actually enjoyed a movie. They made a huge step forward compared to the first Thor. It has lot more action and and very SF oriented.
  3. Dec 13, 2014
    The story is shallow and limited whilst the antagonist is also unconvincing. But the biggest frustration is how this film feels like an entirely different story to it's predecessor, to the point where they seem like two different episodes in a TV show. This can make it feel insignificant which is a disappointment. However we do get to further explore Thor's relationships, brotherly andThe story is shallow and limited whilst the antagonist is also unconvincing. But the biggest frustration is how this film feels like an entirely different story to it's predecessor, to the point where they seem like two different episodes in a TV show. This can make it feel insignificant which is a disappointment. However we do get to further explore Thor's relationships, brotherly and otherwise. We also spent more time on Asgard which is a delight. The action scenes feel polished and the emotion that has a place throughout the entire film seems genuine. But the lack of links between the two Thor films are sadly quite heavy and withhold it from challenging Marvel films like Avengers Assemble and Captain America. Expand
  4. Nov 10, 2013
    I thought this was a solid entertaining film. Allot of fun with a neat plot twist at the end. Not the best superhero movie I've seen but it is easily ranks among the better ones. The all time WORST superhero movie would have to be the disastrous Superman: The Man of Steel from earlier this year but, I digress. The creative people who are behind the Marvel Studios films are doing a greatI thought this was a solid entertaining film. Allot of fun with a neat plot twist at the end. Not the best superhero movie I've seen but it is easily ranks among the better ones. The all time WORST superhero movie would have to be the disastrous Superman: The Man of Steel from earlier this year but, I digress. The creative people who are behind the Marvel Studios films are doing a great job on the Marvel superhero films. I look forward to future installments of Thor and the other Marvel hero films. The key to these types of movies is not to take them too seriously. After all we are dealing with COMIC BOOK characters here not Shakespeare. Expand
  5. Apr 26, 2014
    Great CGI + Dumb Story + Goofy Acting = 5 stars out of 10. You could turn off the sound and still get what's going on. Just OK if you like this type of movie.
  6. Nov 12, 2013
    entertaining and funny. great bad guys. loki creepy as always. asgardian army needs some training though lol...looked like mannequins and hapless against the invasion. decent entertainment!
  7. Jul 30, 2014
    This must be one of the greatest movies of 2013! It got everything, including humor, but most of all the awesome story, and it's much better then the previous movie!

The beginning of Thor: The Dark World is great, and I really enjoyed the historical perspective in the opening scene, and it was in a certain sense spectacular. The film overall got a very high tempo of action, especially in the first part of the film, and I really love it. When it comes to the CGI and the special effects, I just think they did it so damn good, and the music is magnificent, almost as good as in The Avengers. The actors in The Dark World couldn't have been more awesome as they are, and I especially love Chris Hemsworth and Christopher Eccleston's performance as Thor and Malekith. I never got bored at any time when I watched this movie, and it was quite humorous at some places, and I really enjoyed it. Another great thing about this film is that it got so much unique things that I never have seen before, and the ending is great.

Thor: The Dark World is a very good movie, but it's not a ten, so it got some negative aspects.
    One of the bad things is that the climax of the film could have been more entertaining and eventful, and it didn't really feel as a 10, but also that it might be to much gags in the movie, and sometimes did the story feel a bit weird. But it's still one of the movies of 2013 that you got to see, because it's a highly entertaining film that got action, science fiction and fantasy in one awesome movie!

Thor: The Dark World gets a 9/10
  8. Nov 10, 2013
    Marvel was right. Marvel was right every time. No one knows how to make a movie with a marvel super hero like Marvel. This movie is awesome, epic and totally right. Chris Hemsworth is amazing. Tom Hiddleston is the better God ever. Natalie Portman keeps wonderful and beatiful. I would like to marry this woman. PERFECT MOVIE.
  9. May 20, 2014
    The action scenes are as impressive as one would expect from a Marvel film, but forgettable characters and subpar dialogue make this sequel, as a whole, feel underwhelming and generically pieced together compared to previous Marvel installments. The redeeming quality that makes this film work the most is the charming tandem of Hemsworth and Hiddleston.
  10. May 25, 2014
    Thor: The Dark World is a good film and much better then Thor(2011) but in the end it seems to fit into marvel phase 2 and with this is mean the un-needed comedy. Sure some of it fit but most was not needed and seemed forced. Still though i had a great time watching it and even had a better time then i did while watching Iron Man 3. The cast was great but you can't go wrong with NatalieThor: The Dark World is a good film and much better then Thor(2011) but in the end it seems to fit into marvel phase 2 and with this is mean the un-needed comedy. Sure some of it fit but most was not needed and seemed forced. Still though i had a great time watching it and even had a better time then i did while watching Iron Man 3. The cast was great but you can't go wrong with Natalie Portman, Chris Hemsworth, Anothy Hopkins, Tom Hiddleston and plenty more.

A great Battle between Bor the father of Odin and The Dark Elf Malekith happend long ago. Malekith wanted to cover the world back in darkness using the power of the Aether so the dark elves can rule. Bor stopped Malekith by stealing the Aether forcing Malekith to kill his people to get away and to fight again later. So now were are in present day where Jane Foster(Natalie Portman) is looking for Thor when she ends up going through a portal to where the Aether is being hidden she touches it and ends up activing it.

Malekith awaken by the Aether being actived starts his search for it before The Convergence a alignment of the Nine Realms causeing portals to open between them with this he plans to cover the universe in darkness. Malekith and his remaining troops lead a secret attack on Asgard and ends up killing Frigga, Thors mother. Odin demands that no one leave Asgard so Thor teams up with Loki knowing he can't trust him but becuase he is the only person that knows the secret way out of Asgard.

Thor and Loki head to Svartalfheim the Dark Elves home world to fight malekith with the help of Jane. However Thor And Loki's plan fails and Malekith ends up getting the Aether out of Jane a making him grow stronger and Loki ends up dying Thor and Jane finding a Portal in a cave near by where they end up back in London. With the help of Erik Selvig (Stellan Skarsgård) and Darcy (Kat Dennings) they find a way to make their own potal. Thor and Malekith end up having a somewhat good battle. Just when everying looks dark Darcy and Erik acitvate the equitment making a portal causeing malekith to be teleported back to Svartalfheim where he is crushed by his ship.

Overall i give it a 7.5 while the movie is enjoyable i just feel the villain could have been better and makes wonder what Mads Mikkelsen's Malekith would have been like. Ill buy this on blu ray of course the CGI was great.
  11. Aug 1, 2014
    There's a lot you could add, and a lot you could take out to make this on the quality scale of 'The Avengers'. The climactic scene has the most jokes that are shoved into it while the plot is stretched farther than it should have been. I still enjoy the acting, particularly Tom Hiddleston, who I believe is just a riot all the way through, whenever he is on screen. But the acting is justThere's a lot you could add, and a lot you could take out to make this on the quality scale of 'The Avengers'. The climactic scene has the most jokes that are shoved into it while the plot is stretched farther than it should have been. I still enjoy the acting, particularly Tom Hiddleston, who I believe is just a riot all the way through, whenever he is on screen. But the acting is just one essence. It's not groundbreaking or spectacular. It's merely enjoyable. The story is not so much, I'm afraid. Expand
  12. Nov 21, 2013
    I already enjoyed watching Thor 1 and thought Thor: The Dark World was even better. Yes, there are some points especially about the time between the two movies that don't get explained enough, but the movie was good enough to let you look past this "minor" flaw. There have been some of that typical funny "Thor does not belong into this world" moments and the story was interesting toI already enjoyed watching Thor 1 and thought Thor: The Dark World was even better. Yes, there are some points especially about the time between the two movies that don't get explained enough, but the movie was good enough to let you look past this "minor" flaw. There have been some of that typical funny "Thor does not belong into this world" moments and the story was interesting to follow. Loki again was a great character. Maybe not the deepest movie but definitely very entertaining. Expand
  13. Nov 15, 2013
    Big improvement over the first Thor. The action I would say was on par with the Avengers. And the gags were funnier than some of the actual comedies this year. Dialogue was pretty good and Loki was awesome as always, but Chris Hemsworth also did a great job as Thor again. Only negative was the villain, he was kinda meh.
    P.S. Whats wrong with you Metacritic? This year you seem to be
    P.S. Whats wrong with you Metacritic? This year you seem to be anti-super hero movies. There are other genres other Drama you know.
  14. Nov 15, 2013
    I felt like many others that Thor was a giant leap forward this time around, however it feels like the Thor films are becoming so heavily relied on Lokis character due to his increase in popularity since the first film. The film felt more of a 'Thor and Loki adventure' and as a result less time is spent on developing the films main villain Malekeith. With the lack of depth in his characterI felt like many others that Thor was a giant leap forward this time around, however it feels like the Thor films are becoming so heavily relied on Lokis character due to his increase in popularity since the first film. The film felt more of a 'Thor and Loki adventure' and as a result less time is spent on developing the films main villain Malekeith. With the lack of depth in his character it only reduces the feel of general threat to Thor as a standalone character Expand
  15. Nov 12, 2013
    Thor: The Dark World, like its brother, is just an acceptable movie, with high production value, still worth a try if you like superhero movies though.
  16. Nov 22, 2014
    Thor 2 is really better than the first thor, and marvel has finally teloaded my memory to what happened in iron man 3, thor was the greatest superhero film of 2013 wich doesnt mean something.
  17. Nov 25, 2013
    A great improvement over the first film in 2011. Thor The Dark World has better performances by Hemsworth and Hiddleston, better visuals and a much more fun atmosphere. I always look forward to Marvel films, as silly as they are and they are all flawed, they are always great fun and this was no exception.
  18. Nov 17, 2013
    It seems as though Thor: The Dark World came off as a mediocre superhero sequel. Yes, the special effects were good, but in terms of actual value, this does not induce too many laughs nor does it keep viewers on the edge of their seat. It is hard to follow, not very engaging, and convoluted in its plot. There are many more better superhero movies out there (note how public reviews areIt seems as though Thor: The Dark World came off as a mediocre superhero sequel. Yes, the special effects were good, but in terms of actual value, this does not induce too many laughs nor does it keep viewers on the edge of their seat. It is hard to follow, not very engaging, and convoluted in its plot. There are many more better superhero movies out there (note how public reviews are generally positive, while critical reviews are lukewarm at best). I am not advising against seeing this: I am just saying that there are definitely better ways to use two hours of time. Expand
  19. Mar 10, 2014
    Kat Dennings - aka Darcy - I so much hate her in the movie. She is so **** annoying. From start I hoped she die, but unfortunately not. Why???? Same stupid jokes all the time. Please, dont do this ever again Hollywood.
  20. Nov 17, 2013
    It is not as good as The Avengers,BUT the is great.I've watched it on 4d and it was great.You have to watch this film.The worst thing about it is that people are getting tired of superhero movies.
  21. May 29, 2014
    great visual as the thor dark world continues the marvel cinematic universe story with great performances and much more action than thor 1 alan Talylor knows how to blend in the comedy with the the troubles of an marvel god as well as more action sequences .
  22. Nov 12, 2013
    I'm not sure why the critics reviewed this poorly, maybe I'm missing the point but this movie had everything you'd come to expect from a great Marvel adventure. Great twists, "did that REALLY just happen" moments, fantastic action, humour, top notch visual effects and Asgard looks more impressive than ever. Ok, some of the acting is a little weak in parts but that's more than made up forI'm not sure why the critics reviewed this poorly, maybe I'm missing the point but this movie had everything you'd come to expect from a great Marvel adventure. Great twists, "did that REALLY just happen" moments, fantastic action, humour, top notch visual effects and Asgard looks more impressive than ever. Ok, some of the acting is a little weak in parts but that's more than made up for by the rest. Expand
  23. Nov 9, 2013
    Thor 2 is much more different in every way, also improved. It seems less of a dramatic film and more of Marvel epic. An epic, by definition, should not only be action-packed, but also have many different subplots inter-weaved within the main plot of a film. Hence, this film is worth the money you spend and definitely an fun and thrilling adventure full of twists. Despite the differentThor 2 is much more different in every way, also improved. It seems less of a dramatic film and more of Marvel epic. An epic, by definition, should not only be action-packed, but also have many different subplots inter-weaved within the main plot of a film. Hence, this film is worth the money you spend and definitely an fun and thrilling adventure full of twists. Despite the different subplots, I would've loved more focus on Anthony Hopkins and a alternating Malakeith into a more realistic Dark Elf. Overall, a good film! Expand
  24. Nov 9, 2013
    I thought it was great! it had humor, series moments and action all combined into one! the ending was a bit unexpected though. but I did feel like it was missing something... I don't know what but something was missing.
  25. Nov 9, 2013
    Worth watching in theaters. Wayy better than the first Thor. Just loved it if you're a teenager or a comic book fan you'll like it). Not so sure why it scored low on the actual critics vote.
  26. Nov 10, 2013
    I would say I definitely liked this movie better than the first one. The villain was nothing special, but everything else was great. Eric Selvig and Loki were both hilarious.
  27. Nov 10, 2013
    The movie overall was predictable and felt quite generic. There were certain parts in the film that made me and my friend literally cringe due to very overused and cheesy lines. Nothing in this movie really "wowed" me, and I left the theater feeling like I had wasted 2 hours of my day.
  28. Nov 10, 2013
    this movie was well made, from its special effects to its acting and story. I love its ties to mythology, though not exact, does a good portrayal of them. I also am a fan of the avengers. The humor is also a good selling point, bringing witty and unexpected humor in the most dramatic times
  29. Nov 11, 2013
    Change the fuse and be separate from all electrical power. God of thunder from Asgard returned to once again bring order to the Nine Kingdoms. This time, Mjollnir hammer strikes the head of an ancient race of Dark Elves plan to destroy the universe. In the meantime, find a moment to stand eye to eye with abandoned in the first part of the Human woman Jane Foster. The result of bothChange the fuse and be separate from all electrical power. God of thunder from Asgard returned to once again bring order to the Nine Kingdoms. This time, Mjollnir hammer strikes the head of an ancient race of Dark Elves plan to destroy the universe. In the meantime, find a moment to stand eye to eye with abandoned in the first part of the Human woman Jane Foster. The result of both confrontation can be only one. Expand
  30. Jan 2, 2014
    Though there is a lot of mindless action sequences and poorly written scenes, overall Thor: The Dark World delivers where the first one couldn't. This film feels more at ease and more like the Marvel comic it is based on, the weakness lies in the lack of depth of the myriad of characters and the satirical humour which struggles to be in the same vein as Joss Whedon.
  31. Nov 13, 2013
    Love the first film, loved the second more. Everything has improved, and I haven't a clue why anyone you give this lower than 7. High impact action and a compelling story. And its FANTASTIC to know there following there comics. Also, stay right to the end of the credits, its not funny, its for the story.
  32. Nov 13, 2013
    At least it was better than the first one. I just have a hard time getting into Thor for some reason. And this movie felt like it was trying to hard for the crowd pleasing laughs that are silly and ungenuine when you watch the movie at home for a second time.
  33. Nov 14, 2013
    Thor is the most complex and interesting superhero. In the film version, unfortunately, is sometimes boring, and is a major flaw that can happen to a commercial production of entertainment.
  34. Nov 16, 2013
    Light years better than Thor 1, but still not as good as Avengers was. It was nice to see the grittier side come out this time around. Would recommend for a fan of superhero movies but wait for Netflix if you are on the fence.
  35. Nov 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Better than first Thor, much bigger and not so much jokes as Iron Man 3. The best super hero movie of this year. It dont have to be serious but at same time it is. And what Alan Taylor did in Game of Thrones he pass on this movie so well. Better than I expected 8/10. Expand
  36. Nov 17, 2013
    I went in to this movie expecting to find it as mediocre as I found the first one, but I was more than pleasantly surprised. Thor 2 turned out to be fantastic, and one of my favorite Marvel movies of the past few years. The writing in particular is wonderful, and you will be laughing out loud a lot. At first the plot appears to be fairly mundane and uninteresting (the romance between ThorI went in to this movie expecting to find it as mediocre as I found the first one, but I was more than pleasantly surprised. Thor 2 turned out to be fantastic, and one of my favorite Marvel movies of the past few years. The writing in particular is wonderful, and you will be laughing out loud a lot. At first the plot appears to be fairly mundane and uninteresting (the romance between Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) is just downright boring) but as soon as Loki (Tom Hiddleston) enters the picture, it really gets interesting. Honestly, the first half in general is pretty meh aside from the comic relief of Kat Dennings as Darcy Lewis, but everything from Loki's re-entrance onwards is pure gold. I am simply in love with Loki, who provides nonstop one-liners and mind-blowing plot twists for the entirety of the second half of the film. Really, the entire final battle is one of the most legitimately enjoyable things I've seen recently, alternating rapidly between brilliant laugh-worthy moments and fast-paced, extremely well-done action sequences, all culminating in a last-minute twist I guarantee you won't see coming.
    To summarize, Thor 2 may start out slow, but has one of the strongest and most enjoyable finishes in Marvel history. I loved it, and Hiddleston's Loki is probably one of the most interesting and entertaining characters I've ever seen. Do yourself a favor and go see it. I promise you won't regret it.
  37. Nov 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I didnt think it was as good as Thor 1, But still, fantastic movie. They over did with the humor But it didnt ruin the film. Definitely see it if you get a chance. Expand
  38. Nov 24, 2013
    I really really enjoyed this movie. Where the first Thor film was merely a funny action film, this movie takes on a more serious tone and the actors really deliver. The only thing stopping this movie from being great is that it takes a long time to get going.
  39. Nov 24, 2013
    While better than the first, the sequel provides much more danger, darkness, and an adventurous story that fans are sure to love, but the film still follows the much overdone formula of every other Marvel movie (or superhero movie for that matter).
  40. Nov 25, 2013
    Delivered on everything it needed to, but did little else. Just like Thor 1, Loki steals the show and any scene not including him falls a little flatter. The action sequences were well done and it had a couple jokes here and there. Overall, it is not a must see, but not a disappointment. Hopefully, the next Avengers will revive just a little more interest in these few franchises.
  41. Nov 28, 2013
    Derivative as it is, a charismatic cast, witty dialogue and Loki saves Thor: The Dark World from being just a gala of special effects destroying the universe.
  42. Nov 28, 2013
    A good, fun film. Not fantastic. Not incredible (Ironman was incredible). Good continuity, but I think characterizations were a bit off. The plot follows the comic book lore pretty well. So the problem for me were all the gags maybe one would have been enough. Thor trying to hang his hammer on a coat rack was a bit too much could have edited that one out. Hemsworth and Portman work wellA good, fun film. Not fantastic. Not incredible (Ironman was incredible). Good continuity, but I think characterizations were a bit off. The plot follows the comic book lore pretty well. So the problem for me were all the gags maybe one would have been enough. Thor trying to hang his hammer on a coat rack was a bit too much could have edited that one out. Hemsworth and Portman work well together and pave over the awkward moments. Would have liked a bit more development on the villain. Yeah... go see... enjoy. Expand
  43. Dec 10, 2013
    Yes Thor 2 was entertaining. Was it anything great? Really? No. Just the same movie as the first one again. Was I expecting anymore from this movie? No. So was I surprised? Of course not. Would I recommend this movie to friends? If they want to see top of the line special effects and typical hollywood action? Yes. I give it extra points for Natalie Portmans sake. TypicalYes Thor 2 was entertaining. Was it anything great? Really? No. Just the same movie as the first one again. Was I expecting anymore from this movie? No. So was I surprised? Of course not. Would I recommend this movie to friends? If they want to see top of the line special effects and typical hollywood action? Yes. I give it extra points for Natalie Portmans sake. Typical popcorn munching fare. Expand
  44. Dec 5, 2013
    Coming from someone who didn't enjoy the first Thor film I think Thor: The Dark World is a huge step up. I wanted more Asgard (delivered). Natalie Portman has become a little unnecessary I don't know why Marvel seems to think all of the super heroes need a love interest just because they're now making movies but I found her kind of annoying. Also, can Loki get his own movie? Tom HiddlestonComing from someone who didn't enjoy the first Thor film I think Thor: The Dark World is a huge step up. I wanted more Asgard (delivered). Natalie Portman has become a little unnecessary I don't know why Marvel seems to think all of the super heroes need a love interest just because they're now making movies but I found her kind of annoying. Also, can Loki get his own movie? Tom Hiddleston is absolutely killing it!!! It's going to be fun to continue to see Thor develop and it's going to be even more fun to see what Loki does to spoil it. Expand
  45. Dec 9, 2013
    This is a very good action movie, the title is also good Thor The Dark World, the visual effect is also good as a real
    Actors and actresses in the film played very well
    costumes are also good and interesting
    in the film is not only tense adengan
    There adengan that makes people who watch it to laugh
    I think this is one of the best action films this year
  46. Dec 14, 2013
    Marvel are having a streak of good movies and this is no exception. It has all the elements, action, romance, comedy with a pinch of serious drama. However a few of these key elements are done slightly average, but we'll talk about that later. The story started on a high note for me. As a kid I loved the whole Asgardian lore, knowing that it actually had historical value I was a majorMarvel are having a streak of good movies and this is no exception. It has all the elements, action, romance, comedy with a pinch of serious drama. However a few of these key elements are done slightly average, but we'll talk about that later. The story started on a high note for me. As a kid I loved the whole Asgardian lore, knowing that it actually had historical value I was a major geek I still love it now. Initially, we see Thor's grandfather Bhor, who's fighting the dark elfs, led by Maleikith. Bhor wins by stealing the Aether, a device capable of mass destruction. After losing his ace, Maleikith go's into hiding, and Bhor hides the Aether in a place that NO ONE will find... Of course that lasts less than 30 minutes, resulting in Jane Foster hitting Thor in the face and the dark elfs awaken. And I'm glad they did!!! The action here is great!!! Game of Thrones and Asagardian legend is a match made in heaven! Credit to the director. The comedy is also on par with this standard. Darsey, Eric and Loki are brilliant, with Thor giving an acasional glimpse of humor. However the romance doesn't fare so well. It feels very forced, and there's no chemistry between the two. The villain follows the same route. Maleikith is very generic, stereotypical and we just simply don't see enough of him. Then thank god for Loki. Some of the best scences of the film contain Loki. He's perfectly played by Tom Hiddleston. He's got the charisma, the dark humor and the constant surprises. Thor The Dark World is disappointing in some respects, but is still an overall good film. Expand
  47. Jan 20, 2014
    I really really enjoyed this movie. Where the first Thor film was merely a funny action film, this movie takes on a more serious tone and the actors really deliver. Tom Hiddleston reprises his role as Loki and easily hits it out of the park, stealing a lot of Hemsworth's thunder. The only thing stopping this movie from being great is that it takes a long time to get going and fails toI really really enjoyed this movie. Where the first Thor film was merely a funny action film, this movie takes on a more serious tone and the actors really deliver. Tom Hiddleston reprises his role as Loki and easily hits it out of the park, stealing a lot of Hemsworth's thunder. The only thing stopping this movie from being great is that it takes a long time to get going and fails to capitalize at the end. Expand
  48. Aug 16, 2014
    This movie improves upon everything from the first movie. More and better action, better writing, and better characters. Thor is a much better hero mostly because he has his powers throughout the movie, but Loki absolutely steals the show
  49. Dec 16, 2013
    With an Avenger cameo, Hiddleston and Hemsworth at their primes, Natalie Portman, Action and just the right amount of humor this film is probably third or second on the list of best Marvel movies!
  50. Dec 21, 2013
    The fact that the debate which Marvel superhero is the best since it has insured (for now): Thor. The movie is one of the best I saw in the year (the 8th in the Top 10 of the year). Tom Hiddleston Loki continues to surprise once more and the villain is not even reach the heels. The performances are incredible, the script a bit worn, but does like, the end and the doubts that leaves youThe fact that the debate which Marvel superhero is the best since it has insured (for now): Thor. The movie is one of the best I saw in the year (the 8th in the Top 10 of the year). Tom Hiddleston Loki continues to surprise once more and the villain is not even reach the heels. The performances are incredible, the script a bit worn, but does like, the end and the doubts that leaves you (clearly be resolved in any other Marvel film), the comedic moments will elicit a laugh. The only bad thing: a few minutes that means get bored. The finding: the cameo by Stan Lee and Chris Evans are very well prepared. Expand
  51. Jan 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The guy with the big hammer is back! He is still mostly the straight man in a story that mixes Shakespearian family drama with mythical mumbo-jumbo. Mind you, Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and his Asgardian kin are not Gods, because that could cause all sorts of controversy among the believers of various ‘legit’ religions. The movie takes the Lord of the Rings approach by throwing you right into an epic battle with explanatory voice-over. It introduces the movies villains economically, making no compromises to people who may need a moment to transition from their daily routine to this fantastical world. You’ll either have to go with it or just go.

In time, you do stop worrying about the plausibility and practical aspects of life in Asgard and the other realms. What becomes more of a problem is some really silly science being used on the earthbound side of the story. The mythical worlds are so far removed from reality that applying credibility seems inappropriate. But hanging a whole lot of gibberish pseudo-science off two fake-looking devices with a dubious-looking remote control and making the grand finale hinge on the vague workings of it, is annoying. Sure, I can understand that these doohickeys simply do what the script needs them to do, but they are such obvious plot devices that the lazy writing is hard to miss. The writers have some fun by playing around with the effect the thingamajigs cause, and even use it for some good comic relief, but it does throw you out of the story. The writers expose themselves too much as puppet masters.

Now, all this makes it sound like I didn’t have a good time watching Thor: The Dark World. But it is fun, in a cheesy, over-the-top kinda way. Most of the cast from the first movie is brought back in, including the great Tom Hiddleston as Loki, though I don’t quite like how the movie handles him. In-between this movie and The Avengers, he does seem to be spending an awful lot of time hanging around in a cell. And being a trickster, a character you can never get a handle on, he risks going from intriguing to boring in the end. Nathalie Portman is back as the love-interest, brought together ‘by fate’ according to Thor, though I’d say it was the script, working really hard to maneuver her into place. I like Portman in the role and it’s always a joy watching her slap people in the face. Her assistant Darcy Lewis (Kat Dennings) works well as the comic relief, though the funniest moment involves a very quick and unexpected cameo from one of Thor’s former comrades-in-arms. Idris Elba also returns, as gate-keeper Heimdall, a lot more well-known by now and still looking hot despite the colored lenses. I look forward to seeing him in the Mandela biopic.

The main problem with Thor: The Dark World is one of tone. Sometimes it takes itself very seriously, sometimes not at all. That can work if the comedy is in the dialogue and the interplay between characters. But as a viewer, you do want to feel that the writers are dedicated to telling a solid, well-thought out story and are not just having a laugh.

@PopCultJunk
  52. Dec 28, 2013
    Thor: The Dark World is a touch better than the first installment, but simply doesn't focus enough on what I believe are the two film's greatest strengths (Tom Hiddleston's Loki and the fish out of water humor).
  53. Apr 20, 2014
    Once again, excellent work my the Marvel Cinematic Universe. True, it isn't perfect; Thor's love interest isn't given much to do, and the villain is a walking chiche. But the wit and energized mayhem that makes Marvel so entertaining is still there.
  54. Jan 2, 2014
    Loki stole the show. Tom Hiddleston really knows how to make his fandom proud and how to attract viewers to watch this sequel over and over again. However, like most movies, the first movie has a better storyline and is more exciting to watch. Compared to other superhero movie sequels, this movie is not too shabby.
  55. Jan 25, 2014
    The plot is tied after the events of the Avengers , the protagonist Thor returns along with Loki to his father Odin ( Anthony Hopkins ) in Asgard.Odin Loki sent to prison.

After that, Thor returns to Earth to his love Jane Foster . But their relationship does not represent dilemma . Soon Jane stumbles upon Ether which need dark elves led the Accursed ( Thor Loki releases to deal with

Thor Loki releases to deal with the dark elves . Despite the excellent special effects sometimes funny jokes in the film are constantly trying to make a joke . For example the scene is tense and a minute later another joke . Nature of the characters spelled bad. Loki is the best and the expected character . Christopher good actor , but he came out of the villain quite weak.
  56. Jan 7, 2014
    If you walk into this movie for a great plot, your going for the wrong reason. If your going to this movie for fun action and great humor, your going for the right reason. This movie is everything that I wanted in Thor 1 and more. This movie is full of great action. The final fight between Malekeith and Thor is very creative and fun to watch. This movie is also hilarious! Even with a veryIf you walk into this movie for a great plot, your going for the wrong reason. If your going to this movie for fun action and great humor, your going for the right reason. This movie is everything that I wanted in Thor 1 and more. This movie is full of great action. The final fight between Malekeith and Thor is very creative and fun to watch. This movie is also hilarious! Even with a very funny Captain America cameo. Loki is probably the best character in the entire movie. I loved Loki in Thor 1 and especially in The Avengers. One thing that I don't like about the movie is the plot twist at the end, it felt kinda rushed. But overall this is an awesome movie that I would recommend to people who want to have a lot of fun in the theater. Expand
  57. Mar 1, 2014
    I liked the first Thor but this one was a total failure.

The plot to this movie is as thin as an 80 Yr Old Pair of Underwear that has been worn by a homeless dude for the past quarter century. I mean thin. The beginning was difficult to understand. I even attempted to use closed captioning to get the drift of the beginning. The only redeeming features of the movie were Loki and
    I liked the first Thor but this one was a total failure.

The only redeeming features of the movie were Loki and the two subcharacters who worked for Jane Foster.

It sounded like Chris Hemsworth just graduated from Woolloomooloo Grammar given his thick Aussie accent (which was not as pronounced in the first movie).
  58. Mar 29, 2014
    Thor: The Dark World was a great film. I loved it's action, I loved it's humor, I especially liked the idea that it kind of took a dark route that we really didn't see that much before in previous films in Marvel's Cinematic Universe. I wouldn't say I like this movie more or less than the first Thor, they both have good elements used in it and I would recommend both. However keep in mindThor: The Dark World was a great film. I loved it's action, I loved it's humor, I especially liked the idea that it kind of took a dark route that we really didn't see that much before in previous films in Marvel's Cinematic Universe. I wouldn't say I like this movie more or less than the first Thor, they both have good elements used in it and I would recommend both. However keep in mind that this film doesn't do anything you haven't seen before, it has a lot of themes in it that I would probably say seems kind of familiar; but the film uses those themes very well. Expand
  59. Dec 2, 2014
    They are some good stuff and bad stuff about this movie. The good stuff is the SFX and sound mixing is very good and the acting. The bad stuff is this movie is confusing. Either watch it or Don,t. Replay Value: Moderate .
  60. Dec 6, 2014
    Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Analysis: Thor: The Dark World (2013)

Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Analysis: Thor: The Dark World (2013)

So… Thor. It’s time for my review of this super-hero’s sequel. Frankly, it’s the weakest MCU movie up to now. It’s still enjoyable but there’s so much potential wasted in here, one of them being the villain, oh… we’ll get to that LATER. It’s not just the antagonist though, the plot is sometimes a muddle and the movie itself suffers from too much exposition. It still brings comedy and action, however it’s really disappointing. But with all honesty, the filmmakers did try. They did try

Odin recalls when his father Bor and the warriors from Asgard vanquished the evil Dark Elves and their leader Malekith that wanted to send the universe into the darkness during the convergence of nine realms unleashing the powerful weapon Aether. Malekith escapes and Bor hides the Aether in-between two stone columns. In the present days, on Earth, the scientist Jane Foster that is waiting for the return of Thor, investigates a gravity phenomenon in an abandoned factory with her assistant and her intern. She finds the column where the Aether is hidden and the substance possesses her. In Asgard, Heimdall reports to Thor that Jane has disappeared. Thor returns to Earth and finds Jane; but when he sees that he has a strange energy protecting her, he brings Jane to Asgard to be healed. However, Malekith also awakes and goes to Asgard to retrieve the Aether. After a bloody battle, Frigga is murdered by Malekith and Thor proposes treason to his warriors friends of Asgard and teams up with Loki to seek revenge for the murder of their mother and to vanquish Malekith before he destroys Asgard with his Dark Elves.

Let’s start with the good elements: The action is great. Marvel does well with the action in their films, especially in “The Avengers” and this movie is not an exception. There are no shaky cams to be found here and the fights are well choreographed. Thor throwing the hammer is as exciting as seeing Captain America throwing his shield, it never gets old. One satisfying element that also returned is the comedy. Sense of humor works just like it did in the first movie, while it sometimes gets a little bit too cheesy, it surely provides some laughs from moviegoers. “Guardians of the Galaxy” still remains the funniest MCU movie to now, but we’ll get to that when I do my review of it. The story is solid… I think. I mean, it’s not phenomenal, but the narrative grabbed my attention right from the beginning, but like I said before, what it matters is not being entertained when watching a motion picture, but being satisfied AFTER watching it, so this is really not saying much.

The villain is so bad. I swear to God that he’s the main reason as to why I almost lower my score to a 5. It’s so f*cking bad. When you get out of the theaters or you finish seeing the movie, you’ll realize how uselessly wasted was Malekith. For what I gleaned from the comics is that he’s very powerful, he’s very well-written and he is interesting at the least. Malekith is not intriguing in this movie! So when a main villain doesn’t succeed, it almost ruins the movie for me. I don’t care if they decide to do a different take on the character, being completely different from the comics, no, I don’t care. It just has to be good. I don’t care who thought about the character, who wrote her or who even designed her. I don’t care, it just HAS to be good. Is the villain good? Absolutely not. Is he badass? No, he’s not. Is the character well-written? No, not at all. It’s just a **** villain that I don’t want to see him again, neither in other upcoming installments, unless if they make the character look interesting, not a disappointingly forgettable villain. Let’s see, what’s the best villain in Marvel Cinematic Universe? Um… let us see… oh yeah! Loki. Loki is the best villain in this whole freaking universe. There are good villains like Iron Monger, Killian, Winter Soldier (he’s not really a villain, more like an antagonist), why is Malekith so bad? *Sighs*

The cast returns: Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, Anthony Hopkins and Stellan Skarsgård, all of them return to reprise their roles, and they’re all just great. Unlike the amazing letdown that Malekith was, the actors’ performances are really nice and they all seem to put an effort in the film to make it good. Loki is in the movie, and once again, you don’t know what’s on his mind. I’m so confused, what his purposes? What does he want? Whatever.

Final Score to Thor: The Dark World: 6/10. A passable super-hero sequel that, despite having some pretty nice battle sequences and a solid cast, it’s weighed down by a completely forgettable villain and an occasionally muddled plot. Thank God that the next MCU movie I’m going to review will be fantastic. Next review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014).

May Thor rest easily.
  61. Apr 21, 2014
    A pretty good Marvel movie. Not one of the best but I did enjoy this film more than the first one. The action was cool and there was a lot of it s that was awesome. And Loki is who made the movie this good. Tom Hiddelston played him perfectly and he was amazing in the movie and made it what it was. There was that right amount of Marvel humour thrown in the movie to make this an entertaining watch.
  62. Apr 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Thor 2 is the best Marvel movie ever.The battle scenes and sceneries are terriffic.Alan Taylor has made a Norse myhthology-super hero film which is so good that i want to see it more and more.The costumes are good as well.Thor's Mjollnir has improved from the one in Thor 1.It makes Thor looks more powerful with thenew hammer.Thor and Odin's father-and-son relationship is reversed from the previous movie,which made the film more thrilling.Of course,those above are just my own opinions,you can be fond of the movie or not,i cannot force you anyway. Expand
  63. Oct 31, 2014
    Prior to watching this: I thought the first film was beautiful but lacking in action scenes.
    Review:
    Pros: This had slightly more action scenes than the first film. The acting is good as in the first film. Cons: The plot with the purple power source and how Loki escape (again!) were weak. Just kill him already so we won't have him causing any more mischief and having any more aliens
    Review:
    Cons: The plot with the purple power source and how Loki escape (again!) were weak. Just kill him already so we won't have him causing any more mischief and having any more aliens invading Earth!
    3/5 - Good enough to watch for free on TV.
  64. Jul 8, 2014
    סרט טוב, אך הוא קצת בעייתי בפעם השנייה שרואים אותו הוא הרבה פחות טוב. אם יש דבר אחד שהוא טוב בסרט שת'ור מופיע בו זה חייב להיות לוקי שאותו שיחק טום הידלסטון בצורה מושלמת כמו תמיד
  65. Aug 5, 2014
    To me Thor 2 was not as good as Thor. It was still a good movie though.

my ratting 7.5/10 7.8/10 for action/special effects 7/10 for story 7.5/10 for acting and 7/10 for character/character development
  66. Nov 23, 2014
    Thor: The Dark World is as strong as any other recent Marvel film. Thor may possibly be my favorite character from the Avengers and it continues to keep a strong individual story. Loki was great in this film. He may be the best villain in the Marvel franchise right now. I think that the next Thor movie will only improve from the last two.
  67. Jul 28, 2014
    Tek kelimeyle çok iyi film, hazır bu kadar iyi THOR ve LOKI yakalamışken çekebildikleri kadar çekmeleri lazım bu filmleri. Kastın kalanı da çok iyi seçildiği için her film diğerinden bir kademe daha iyi olacaktır muhtemelen.
  68. Jul 29, 2014
    "Thor: The Dark World" is more than you expect it to be. It is a great improvement on the first Thor film, and pretty entertaining. Except for the stunning Marvel-standard CGI, there is more soul to the storyline, an appealing performance from Tom Hiddleston as Loki, and some pretty funny scenes. It may not be so powerful as "The Avengers" or "Captain America: The Winter Soldier", but you"Thor: The Dark World" is more than you expect it to be. It is a great improvement on the first Thor film, and pretty entertaining. Except for the stunning Marvel-standard CGI, there is more soul to the storyline, an appealing performance from Tom Hiddleston as Loki, and some pretty funny scenes. It may not be so powerful as "The Avengers" or "Captain America: The Winter Soldier", but you will likely find yourself amused by its more intelligent twists and impressing visuals. Expand
  69. Aug 8, 2014
    Better than the first movie, but my problem with this movie and most other MCU is the generic and completely forgettable villain. The merits were the action sequences were done well, we truly see the developed Thor from the first film handle his role and Tom Middleston performance was as always done well, but it doesn't have a lot to offer. Also they seriously need to stop wasting time onBetter than the first movie, but my problem with this movie and most other MCU is the generic and completely forgettable villain. The merits were the action sequences were done well, we truly see the developed Thor from the first film handle his role and Tom Middleston performance was as always done well, but it doesn't have a lot to offer. Also they seriously need to stop wasting time on Kat Dennings character Expand
  70. Oct 19, 2014
    Thor spans the Marvel Universe from present day Earth to the realm of Asgard. At the center of the story is the mighty Thor, a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. Thor is cast down to Earth by his father Odin and is forced to live among humans. A beautiful, young scientist, Jane Foster, has a profound effect on Thor, as she ultimately becomes hisThor spans the Marvel Universe from present day Earth to the realm of Asgard. At the center of the story is the mighty Thor, a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. Thor is cast down to Earth by his father Odin and is forced to live among humans. A beautiful, young scientist, Jane Foster, has a profound effect on Thor, as she ultimately becomes his first love. It's while here on Earth that Thor learns what it takes to be a true hero when the most dangerous villain of his world sends the darkest forces of Asgard to invade Earth. Expand
  71. Nov 13, 2014
    This movie has far too many clichés, and unfortunately, ordered in the right way to form one of the most cliché plots. Sitting in the theater the first time, I constantly thought of how I somehow saw this movie before, but I couldn't remember what movie that was because it was so forgettable. As if cliché's weren't enough, there are some imitations of: The Lord of the Rings, Portal,This movie has far too many clichés, and unfortunately, ordered in the right way to form one of the most cliché plots. Sitting in the theater the first time, I constantly thought of how I somehow saw this movie before, but I couldn't remember what movie that was because it was so forgettable. As if cliché's weren't enough, there are some imitations of: The Lord of the Rings, Portal, Skyrim, The Legend of Zelda, previous Marvel movies, and any movie that features a stock villain. Expand
  72. Nov 13, 2014
    "Thor: The Dark World" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

"Thor: The Dark World" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

The Good: The banter between Thor and Loki was great and Eccleston was an amazing villain. Idris Elba as Heimdall was once again a character that you wanted to see more of. The story itself was merely decent, but the first half of the film was amazing. As expected, excellent action sequences and effects. At times, the humor was well placed and cut the drama a little. Tom Hiddleston once again played Loki to perfection.

The Bad: No matter how hard they try, I just can't bring myself to care about Jane Foster (Natalie Portman). The way they crammed her into the story was ham-fisted and an unbelievable coincidence. I could have done without Kat Dennings completely and Stellan Skarsgard, while interesting in the first film as well as The Avengers, was forced into the film and actually felt out of place. The second half wasn't nearly as interesting as the first. While it was still an enjoyable film, the story wasn't the most creative and I would have liked to see more of some of the secondary characters.

1. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Nov 8, 2013
    The movie is pretty to look at in a "Transformers" sort of way and moves briskly enough that it never threatens to bore, but it's hard to feel much of anything about the characters and, when it's all over, there's a sense that everything that happens is obligatory.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Nov 8, 2013
    My favorite moment in the movie: Astrophysicist Erik Selvig (Stellan Skarsgard) insisting on wearing only his underwear because he says he thinks better that way. Hey, whatever works.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Nov 8, 2013
    None of that is to say that Thor: The Dark World is a bad movie, necessarily. I would never speak ill of a man with a giant, magical hammer. At the same time, hammer or no hammer, it doesn't quite nail it, either.