7.6

1. Feb 6, 2014
    This must have been one of the greatest movies of 2013! It got everything, including humor, but most of all is the awesome story, and it's much better then the previous movie!

The beginning of Thor: The Dark World is great, and I really enjoyed the historical perspective in the opening scene, and it was in a certain sense spectacular. The film got overall a very high tempo and the
    amount of action is very high, especially in the first half of this movie, and I really love it. When it comes to the quality and the special effects in this movie I just think they did it so damn good, and the music is magnificent, almost as good as in The Avengers. The actors in Thor: The Dark World couldn't have been more awesome as they are, and I especially love Chris Hemsworth and Christopher Eccleston's performance as Thor and Malekith. I never got bored at any time when I watched this movie, and it was a quite humorous at some places, and I really enjoyed it. Another great thing about this movie is that it got so many unique thing that I never have seen before, and the ending is great, because it was an continuation in the end, as the previous Marvel movie's has.

Thor: The Dark World is a very good movie, but it's not a ten, so it got some negative sides.
    One of the bad things is that the climax might have been more entertaining and eventful maybe, and it didn't really feel as an 10/10 movie, but also that it might have been to much gags and sometimes did the story feel a little weird, but it's still one of the movies of 2013 that you got to see, because it's a highly entertaining movie that got action, science fiction and fantasy in one awesome movie!

Thor: The Dark World gets a 9/10
  2. Nov 10, 2013
    Marvel was right. Marvel was right every time. No one knows how to make a movie with a marvel super hero like Marvel. This movie is awesome, epic and totally right. Chris Hemsworth is amazing. Tom Hiddleston is the better God ever. Natalie Portman keeps wonderful and beatiful. I would like to marry this woman. PERFECT MOVIE.
  3. Nov 21, 2013
    I already enjoyed watching Thor 1 and thought Thor: The Dark World was even better. Yes, there are some points especially about the time between the two movies that don't get explained enough, but the movie was good enough to let you look past this "minor" flaw. There have been some of that typical funny "Thor does not belong into this world" moments and the story was interesting to follow. Loki again was a great character. Maybe not the deepest movie but definitely very entertaining. Expand
  4. Nov 15, 2013
    Big improvement over the first Thor. The action I would say was on par with the Avengers. And the gags were funnier than some of the actual comedies this year. Dialogue was pretty good and Loki was awesome as always, but Chris Hemsworth also did a great job as Thor again. Only negative was the villain, he was kinda meh.
    P.S. Whats wrong with you Metacritic? This year you seem to be
    anti-super hero movies. There are other genres other Drama you know. Expand
  5. Nov 15, 2013
    I felt like many others that Thor was a giant leap forward this time around, however it feels like the Thor films are becoming so heavily relied on Lokis character due to his increase in popularity since the first film. The film felt more of a 'Thor and Loki adventure' and as a result less time is spent on developing the films main villain Malekeith. With the lack of depth in his character it only reduces the feel of general threat to Thor as a standalone character Expand
  6. Nov 12, 2013
    Thor: The Dark World, like its brother, is just an acceptable movie, with high production value, still worth a try if you like superhero movies though.
  7. Nov 25, 2013
    A great improvement over the first film in 2011. Thor The Dark World has better performances by Hemsworth and Hiddleston, better visuals and a much more fun atmosphere. I always look forward to Marvel films, as silly as they are and they are all flawed, they are always great fun and this was no exception.
  8. Nov 17, 2013
    It seems as though Thor: The Dark World came off as a mediocre superhero sequel. Yes, the special effects were good, but in terms of actual value, this does not induce too many laughs nor does it keep viewers on the edge of their seat. It is hard to follow, not very engaging, and convoluted in its plot. There are many more better superhero movies out there (note how public reviews are generally positive, while critical reviews are lukewarm at best). I am not advising against seeing this: I am just saying that there are definitely better ways to use two hours of time. Expand
  9. Mar 10, 2014
    Kat Dennings - aka Darcy - I so much hate her in the movie. She is so **** annoying. From start I hoped she die, but unfortunately not. Why???? Same stupid jokes all the time. Please, dont do this ever again Hollywood.
  10. Nov 17, 2013
    It is not as good as The Avengers,BUT the is great.I've watched it on 4d and it was great.You have to watch this film.The worst thing about it is that people are getting tired of superhero movies.
  11. Nov 12, 2013
    I'm not sure why the critics reviewed this poorly, maybe I'm missing the point but this movie had everything you'd come to expect from a great Marvel adventure. Great twists, "did that REALLY just happen" moments, fantastic action, humour, top notch visual effects and Asgard looks more impressive than ever. Ok, some of the acting is a little weak in parts but that's more than made up for by the rest. Expand
  12. Nov 9, 2013
    Thor 2 is much more different in every way, also improved. It seems less of a dramatic film and more of Marvel epic. An epic, by definition, should not only be action-packed, but also have many different subplots inter-weaved within the main plot of a film. Hence, this film is worth the money you spend and definitely an fun and thrilling adventure full of twists. Despite the different subplots, I would've loved more focus on Anthony Hopkins and a alternating Malakeith into a more realistic Dark Elf. Overall, a good film! Expand
  13. Nov 9, 2013
    I thought it was great! it had humor, series moments and action all combined into one! the ending was a bit unexpected though. but I did feel like it was missing something... I don't know what but something was missing.
  14. Nov 9, 2013
    Worth watching in theaters. Wayy better than the first Thor. Just loved it if you're a teenager or a comic book fan you'll like it). Not so sure why it scored low on the actual critics vote.
  15. Nov 10, 2013
    I would say I definitely liked this movie better than the first one. The villain was nothing special, but everything else was great. Eric Selvig and Loki were both hilarious.
  16. Nov 10, 2013
    The movie overall was predictable and felt quite generic. There were certain parts in the film that made me and my friend literally cringe due to very overused and cheesy lines. Nothing in this movie really "wowed" me, and I left the theater feeling like I had wasted 2 hours of my day.
  17. Nov 10, 2013
    this movie was well made, from its special effects to its acting and story. I love its ties to mythology, though not exact, does a good portrayal of them. I also am a fan of the avengers. The humor is also a good selling point, bringing witty and unexpected humor in the most dramatic times
  18. Nov 11, 2013
    Change the fuse and be separate from all electrical power. God of thunder from Asgard returned to once again bring order to the Nine Kingdoms. This time, Mjollnir hammer strikes the head of an ancient race of Dark Elves plan to destroy the universe. In the meantime, find a moment to stand eye to eye with abandoned in the first part of the Human woman Jane Foster. The result of both confrontation can be only one. Expand
  19. Jan 2, 2014
    Though there is a lot of mindless action sequences and poorly written scenes, overall Thor: The Dark World delivers where the first one couldn't. This film feels more at ease and more like the Marvel comic it is based on, the weakness lies in the lack of depth of the myriad of characters and the satirical humour which struggles to be in the same vein as Joss Whedon.
  20. Nov 13, 2013
    Love the first film, loved the second more. Everything has improved, and I haven't a clue why anyone you give this lower than 7. High impact action and a compelling story. And its FANTASTIC to know there following there comics. Also, stay right to the end of the credits, its not funny, its for the story.
  21. Nov 13, 2013
    At least it was better than the first one. I just have a hard time getting into Thor for some reason. And this movie felt like it was trying to hard for the crowd pleasing laughs that are silly and ungenuine when you watch the movie at home for a second time.
  22. Nov 14, 2013
    Thor is the most complex and interesting superhero. In the film version, unfortunately, is sometimes boring, and is a major flaw that can happen to a commercial production of entertainment.
  23. Nov 16, 2013
    Light years better than Thor 1, but still not as good as Avengers was. It was nice to see the grittier side come out this time around. Would recommend for a fan of superhero movies but wait for Netflix if you are on the fence.
  24. Nov 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Better than first Thor, much bigger and not so much jokes as Iron Man 3. The best super hero movie of this year. It dont have to be serious but at same time it is. And what Alan Taylor did in Game of Thrones he pass on this movie so well. Better than I expected 8/10. Expand
  25. Nov 17, 2013
    I went in to this movie expecting to find it as mediocre as I found the first one, but I was more than pleasantly surprised. Thor 2 turned out to be fantastic, and one of my favorite Marvel movies of the past few years. The writing in particular is wonderful, and you will be laughing out loud a lot. At first the plot appears to be fairly mundane and uninteresting (the romance between Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) is just downright boring) but as soon as Loki (Tom Hiddleston) enters the picture, it really gets interesting. Honestly, the first half in general is pretty meh aside from the comic relief of Kat Dennings as Darcy Lewis, but everything from Loki's re-entrance onwards is pure gold. I am simply in love with Loki, who provides nonstop one-liners and mind-blowing plot twists for the entirety of the second half of the film. Really, the entire final battle is one of the most legitimately enjoyable things I've seen recently, alternating rapidly between brilliant laugh-worthy moments and fast-paced, extremely well-done action sequences, all culminating in a last-minute twist I guarantee you won't see coming.
    To summarize, Thor 2 may start out slow, but has one of the strongest and most enjoyable finishes in Marvel history. I loved it, and Hiddleston's Loki is probably one of the most interesting and entertaining characters I've ever seen. Do yourself a favor and go see it. I promise you won't regret it.
  26. Nov 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I didnt think it was as good as Thor 1, But still, fantastic movie. They over did with the humor But it didnt ruin the film. Definitely see it if you get a chance. Expand
  27. Nov 24, 2013
    I really really enjoyed this movie. Where the first Thor film was merely a funny action film, this movie takes on a more serious tone and the actors really deliver. The only thing stopping this movie from being great is that it takes a long time to get going.
  28. Nov 24, 2013
    While better than the first, the sequel provides much more danger, darkness, and an adventurous story that fans are sure to love, but the film still follows the much overdone formula of every other Marvel movie (or superhero movie for that matter).
  29. Nov 25, 2013
    Delivered on everything it needed to, but did little else. Just like Thor 1, Loki steals the show and any scene not including him falls a little flatter. The action sequences were well done and it had a couple jokes here and there. Overall, it is not a must see, but not a disappointment. Hopefully, the next Avengers will revive just a little more interest in these few franchises.
  30. Nov 28, 2013
    Derivative as it is, a charismatic cast, witty dialogue and Loki saves Thor: The Dark World from being just a gala of special effects destroying the universe.
  31. Nov 28, 2013
    A good, fun film. Not fantastic. Not incredible (Ironman was incredible). Good continuity, but I think characterizations were a bit off. The plot follows the comic book lore pretty well. So the problem for me were all the gags maybe one would have been enough. Thor trying to hang his hammer on a coat rack was a bit too much could have edited that one out. Hemsworth and Portman work well together and pave over the awkward moments. Would have liked a bit more development on the villain. Yeah... go see... enjoy. Expand
  32. Dec 10, 2013
    Yes Thor 2 was entertaining. Was it anything great? Really? No. Just the same movie as the first one again. Was I expecting anymore from this movie? No. So was I surprised? Of course not. Would I recommend this movie to friends? If they want to see top of the line special effects and typical hollywood action? Yes. I give it extra points for Natalie Portmans sake. Typical popcorn munching fare. Expand
  33. Dec 5, 2013
    Coming from someone who didn't enjoy the first Thor film I think Thor: The Dark World is a huge step up. I wanted more Asgard (delivered). Natalie Portman has become a little unnecessary I don't know why Marvel seems to think all of the super heroes need a love interest just because they're now making movies but I found her kind of annoying. Also, can Loki get his own movie? Tom Hiddleston is absolutely killing it!!! It's going to be fun to continue to see Thor develop and it's going to be even more fun to see what Loki does to spoil it. Expand
  34. Dec 9, 2013
    This is a very good action movie, the title is also good Thor The Dark World, the visual effect is also good as a real
    Actors and actresses in the film played very well
    costumes are also good and interesting
    in the film is not only tense adengan
    There adengan that makes people who watch it to laugh
    I think this is one of the best action films this year
  35. Dec 14, 2013
    Marvel are having a streak of good movies and this is no exception. It has all the elements, action, romance, comedy with a pinch of serious drama. However a few of these key elements are done slightly average, but we'll talk about that later. The story started on a high note for me. As a kid I loved the whole Asgardian lore, knowing that it actually had historical value I was a major geek I still love it now. Initially, we see Thor's grandfather Bhor, who's fighting the dark elfs, led by Maleikith. Bhor wins by stealing the Aether, a device capable of mass destruction. After losing his ace, Maleikith go's into hiding, and Bhor hides the Aether in a place that NO ONE will find... Of course that lasts less than 30 minutes, resulting in Jane Foster hitting Thor in the face and the dark elfs awaken. And I'm glad they did!!! The action here is great!!! Game of Thrones and Asagardian legend is a match made in heaven! Credit to the director. The comedy is also on par with this standard. Darsey, Eric and Loki are brilliant, with Thor giving an acasional glimpse of humor. However the romance doesn't fare so well. It feels very forced, and there's no chemistry between the two. The villain follows the same route. Maleikith is very generic, stereotypical and we just simply don't see enough of him. Then thank god for Loki. Some of the best scences of the film contain Loki. He's perfectly played by Tom Hiddleston. He's got the charisma, the dark humor and the constant surprises. Thor The Dark World is disappointing in some respects, but is still an overall good film. Expand
  36. Jan 20, 2014
    I really really enjoyed this movie. Where the first Thor film was merely a funny action film, this movie takes on a more serious tone and the actors really deliver. Tom Hiddleston reprises his role as Loki and easily hits it out of the park, stealing a lot of Hemsworth's thunder. The only thing stopping this movie from being great is that it takes a long time to get going and fails to capitalize at the end. Expand
  37. Dec 16, 2013
    With an Avenger cameo, Hiddleston and Hemsworth at their primes, Natalie Portman, Action and just the right amount of humor this film is probably third or second on the list of best Marvel movies!
  38. Dec 21, 2013
    The fact that the debate which Marvel superhero is the best since it has insured (for now): Thor. The movie is one of the best I saw in the year (the 8th in the Top 10 of the year). Tom Hiddleston Loki continues to surprise once more and the villain is not even reach the heels. The performances are incredible, the script a bit worn, but does like, the end and the doubts that leaves you (clearly be resolved in any other Marvel film), the comedic moments will elicit a laugh. The only bad thing: a few minutes that means get bored. The finding: the cameo by Stan Lee and Chris Evans are very well prepared. Expand
  39. Jan 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The guy with the big hammer is back! He is still mostly the straight man in a story that mixes Shakespearian family drama with mythical mumbo-jumbo. Mind you, Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and his Asgardian kin are not Gods, because that could cause all sorts of controversy among the believers of various ‘legit’ religions. The movie takes the Lord of the Rings approach by throwing you right into an epic battle with explanatory voice-over. It introduces the movies villains economically, making no compromises to people who may need a moment to transition from their daily routine to this fantastical world. You’ll either have to go with it or just go.

In time, you do stop worrying about the plausibility and practical aspects of life in Asgard and the other realms. What becomes more of a problem is some really silly science being used on the earthbound side of the story. The mythical worlds are so far removed from reality that applying credibility seems inappropriate. But hanging a whole lot of gibberish pseudo-science off two fake-looking devices with a dubious-looking remote control and making the grand finale hinge on the vague workings of it, is annoying. Sure, I can understand that these doohickeys simply do what the script needs them to do, but they are such obvious plot devices that the lazy writing is hard to miss. The writers have some fun by playing around with the effect the thingamajigs cause, and even use it for some good comic relief, but it does throw you out of the story. The writers expose themselves too much as puppet masters.

Now, all this makes it sound like I didn’t have a good time watching Thor: The Dark World. But it is fun, in a cheesy, over-the-top kinda way. Most of the cast from the first movie is brought back in, including the great Tom Hiddleston as Loki, though I don’t quite like how the movie handles him. In-between this movie and The Avengers, he does seem to be spending an awful lot of time hanging around in a cell. And being a trickster, a character you can never get a handle on, he risks going from intriguing to boring in the end. Nathalie Portman is back as the love-interest, brought together ‘by fate’ according to Thor, though I’d say it was the script, working really hard to maneuver her into place. I like Portman in the role and it’s always a joy watching her slap people in the face. Her assistant Darcy Lewis (Kat Dennings) works well as the comic relief, though the funniest moment involves a very quick and unexpected cameo from one of Thor’s former comrades-in-arms. Idris Elba also returns, as gate-keeper Heimdall, a lot more well-known by now and still looking hot despite the colored lenses. I look forward to seeing him in the Mandela biopic.

The main problem with Thor: The Dark World is one of tone. Sometimes it takes itself very seriously, sometimes not at all. That can work if the comedy is in the dialogue and the interplay between characters. But as a viewer, you do want to feel that the writers are dedicated to telling a solid, well-thought out story and are not just having a laugh.

@PopCultJunk
  40. Dec 28, 2013
    Thor: The Dark World is a touch better than the first installment, but simply doesn't focus enough on what I believe are the two film's greatest strengths (Tom Hiddleston's Loki and the fish out of water humor).
  41. Jan 2, 2014
    Loki stole the show. Tom Hiddleston really knows how to make his fandom proud and how to attract viewers to watch this sequel over and over again. However, like most movies, the first movie has a better storyline and is more exciting to watch. Compared to other superhero movie sequels, this movie is not too shabby.
  42. Jan 25, 2014
    The plot is tied after the events of the Avengers , the protagonist Thor returns along with Loki to his father Odin ( Anthony Hopkins ) in Asgard.Odin Loki sent to prison.

After that, Thor returns to Earth to his love Jane Foster . But their relationship does not represent dilemma . Soon Jane stumbles upon Ether which need dark elves led the Accursed (
    Thor Loki releases to deal with
    the dark elves . Despite the excellent special effects sometimes funny jokes in the film are constantly trying to make a joke . For example the scene is tense and a minute later another joke . Nature of the characters spelled bad. Loki is the best and the expected character . Christopher good actor , but he came out of the villain quite weak. Expand
  43. Jan 7, 2014
    If you walk into this movie for a great plot, your going for the wrong reason. If your going to this movie for fun action and great humor, your going for the right reason. This movie is everything that I wanted in Thor 1 and more. This movie is full of great action. The final fight between Malekeith and Thor is very creative and fun to watch. This movie is also hilarious! Even with a very funny Captain America cameo. Loki is probably the best character in the entire movie. I loved Loki in Thor 1 and especially in The Avengers. One thing that I don't like about the movie is the plot twist at the end, it felt kinda rushed. But overall this is an awesome movie that I would recommend to people who want to have a lot of fun in the theater. Expand
  44. Mar 1, 2014
    I liked the first Thor but this one was a total failure. The plot to this movie is as thin as an 80 Yr Old Pair of Underwear that has been worn by a homeless dude for the past quarter century. I mean thin. The beginning was difficult to understand. I even attempted to use closed captioning to get the drift of the beginning. The only redeeming features of the movie were Loki and the two subcharacters who worked for Jane Foster.

It sounded like Chris Hemsworth just graduated from Woolloomooloo Grammar given his thick Aussie accent (which was not as pronounced in the first movie).
  45. Mar 29, 2014
    Thor: The Dark World was a great film. I loved it's action, I loved it's humor, I especially liked the idea that it kind of took a dark route that we really didn't see that much before in previous films in Marvel's Cinematic Universe. I wouldn't say I like this movie more or less than the first Thor, they both have good elements used in it and I would recommend both. However keep in mind that this film doesn't do anything you haven't seen before, it has a lot of themes in it that I would probably say seems kind of familiar; but the film uses those themes very well. Expand

1. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Nov 8, 2013
    The movie is pretty to look at in a "Transformers" sort of way and moves briskly enough that it never threatens to bore, but it's hard to feel much of anything about the characters and, when it's all over, there's a sense that everything that happens is obligatory.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Nov 8, 2013
    My favorite moment in the movie: Astrophysicist Erik Selvig (Stellan Skarsgard) insisting on wearing only his underwear because he says he thinks better that way. Hey, whatever works.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Nov 8, 2013
    None of that is to say that Thor: The Dark World is a bad movie, necessarily. I would never speak ill of a man with a giant, magical hammer. At the same time, hammer or no hammer, it doesn't quite nail it, either.