Three Kings

9.0

1. Oct 21, 2011
    Not for those who don't like politics. I enjoyed the original story, the acting was alright and it has just enough action to keep things exciting. Definitely worth watching, I would say not a popcorn flick.
  2. Nov 20, 2013
    The Gulf War was a total waste of time and money, but we all know what it is interesting about this movie surrounded by stars and known direction, is how it exposes issues such as greed, sacrifice, comedy and action as realistically and moving, even if sometimes he is a bit inconsistent in transit and wants to spend time with dubious quality between pure drama and black humor, but otherThe Gulf War was a total waste of time and money, but we all know what it is interesting about this movie surrounded by stars and known direction, is how it exposes issues such as greed, sacrifice, comedy and action as realistically and moving, even if sometimes he is a bit inconsistent in transit and wants to spend time with dubious quality between pure drama and black humor, but other than that he and a lot of fun and their performances are very charismatic cat, especially from Clooney. Expand
  3. JimH.
    May 7, 2006
    I just watched this for the second time (2006) against the backdrop of current events (ie. resistance to, support for ongoing war vs. terror). Yoon C (and detractors among the metacritics), while your comments are intelligent and incisive, I would argue that this movie is great precisely because it plays (and I mean, plays) along all those lines without telling you what to think. If I just watched this for the second time (2006) against the backdrop of current events (ie. resistance to, support for ongoing war vs. terror). Yoon C (and detractors among the metacritics), while your comments are intelligent and incisive, I would argue that this movie is great precisely because it plays (and I mean, plays) along all those lines without telling you what to think. If anything it shows that all people's opinions are ridiculous and it imposes none of its own. It sounds to me like you are looking for a movie to tell you what to think of war in Iraq (that is, to tell you "war is hell" or something like that - the message you are expecting becausue you've already heard it in other movies and novels). Whatever else you say about this, it's a war movie unlike any other. It rocks first and foremost, but it also socks and it even (dare I say) does make you think. And it's still relevant seven years later, in ways that it was not when it was made. That anticipatory quality makes it much more artful than the huge majority of "deep" arthouse movies with a moral agenda. Maybe the best thing about it is that it gets the Schwarzenegger-set to watch and rewatch a movie where a child cries over her dead mother, where men are torn by morally ambiguity, where in the end we are at least given an inkling of how hard it is to "do the right thing." Expand
  4. KennedyB.
    Jun 13, 2006
    The 3rd best film of 1999(next to American Beauty and Magnolia).
  5. BangkokDave
    Feb 20, 2003
    The trendy cinematography is not important. The main thing is how skillfully the film weaves together a fun but improbable war-buddy adventure tale with serious political issues. Three Kings should be commended for the intelligent way it handles the US betrayal of the Kurds during the Gulf War and for presenting this little-discussed issue to the moviegoing audiences. Great acting by The trendy cinematography is not important. The main thing is how skillfully the film weaves together a fun but improbable war-buddy adventure tale with serious political issues. Three Kings should be commended for the intelligent way it handles the US betrayal of the Kurds during the Gulf War and for presenting this little-discussed issue to the moviegoing audiences. Great acting by Clooney and Wahlberg doesn't hurt the film either. Expand
  6. Feb 7, 2015
    I wasn't expecting to like this movie as much as I liked it.There is not a lot of action and it's more of a politic movie but,the acting and the script is good enough to hold the movie.
  7. TheGilbertMulroneycakesDepartment
    Dec 9, 2002
    Ha! Great little movie, though (say it with me) "Not For Everyone"! George keeps his film career on track after the false starts of "The Peacemaker" and "Batman And (urgh) Robin". And keep a lookout for David O. in the future. With your eyes. And faces.
  8. NetStarG.
    May 4, 2003
    Spike Jonze was in this one. Thats really cool in many ways.
  9. JonathanH.
    Apr 3, 2004
    Kind of a disappointment, but still very good war movie.
  10. ConorO'Rourke
    Jan 1, 2002
    A wonderful and original use of camera shows that originality still exists within Hollywood. The story makes ironically clear the question of war and the role the media now plays in it.
    Feb 16, 2002
    Amazing.
  12. AndrewZ.
    May 29, 2003
    A hot-shot action movie. liked the plot and overall situation of what was going on. lots of blood and gore, as well as gun fights and hilarious situations. would recommend this movie to anyone that wants to have a good time.
  13. JasonD.
    Mar 29, 2001
    In a year that actually had a few good movies (Malkovich, American Beauty, etc.), Three Kings stood out as the best.
  14. sethw
    Nov 7, 2005
    Damn good movie. interesting and different. probably to much so for some people.
  15. PaulaW.
    Nov 12, 2001
    At the end of the Gulf War, a trio of soldiers led by George Clooney goes on a half-cocked expedition after a supposed cache of Iraqi gold, and finds out just what and whom they have been shooting at all along. If you wonder what the title means, the runty, none-too-swift private played by Spike Jonze helpfully clarifies when he sings "We three kings are stealing the gold." Fine acting, a At the end of the Gulf War, a trio of soldiers led by George Clooney goes on a half-cocked expedition after a supposed cache of Iraqi gold, and finds out just what and whom they have been shooting at all along. If you wonder what the title means, the runty, none-too-swift private played by Spike Jonze helpfully clarifies when he sings "We three kings are stealing the gold." Fine acting, a moral center and dazzling, bleached-out cinematography, feverishly paced. Absolutely worth your while. Expand

1. So overstuffed with random fireworks that despite its politics, it's easy to imagine the film getting a four-star rave from Bush or Saddam.
  2. Off-and-on cynical and sentimental, Russell's darkly comic tale shows how much can be done with familiar material when you're burning to do things differently and have the gifts to pull that off.
    Visual pyrotechnics and dark humor aside, Three Kings rules because it dares to dig for such truths, whether banal or significant.