5.0

1. Jan 8, 2011
    After reading several reviews, noticing the unusual amount of praise being heaped upon this film, I eagerly seized my first chance to see it. I can honestly say that I am flabbergasted that this film is being so well received. Instead of a being a movie that "... is full, assured and extremely wry." as Michael Phillips wrote, the film truly is a loathsome exercise in self indulgence.
    Lena
    Dunham's screenplay has all the bite and wit of an episode of "Days of Our Lives". When the rare occasion arises to show the audience a moment of true insight into the life of a frustrated youth stranded in post-grad limbo, it is dashed instantly by poor dialogue and unbelievable interactions with the director/stars actual family members. With all the independent films out there struggling to find an audience and distribution it is a shame to see this mess of a film reared its ugly head. A completely unsatisfying and frustrating 98 minutes. Expand
  2. Jan 21, 2011
    This was without a doubt one of the worst movies I've ever gone to see. The movie had very little direction and several times I almost walked out. I decided to stay until the end and the ending was just as bad as the film. Why the critics rated it as high as they did is beyond me. I feel if the movie was that good it would have been release to more than just a handful of theaters. Save your money and stay home from this one.... Expand
  3. Dec 30, 2011
    Lens Dunham's parents must be very well connected: first - there was the New Yorker profile; then Judd Apatow came a calling (HBO's development of "Girls"); 'Tiny Furniture' gets a reasonably overstated indie release; 'Tiny Furniture' is inaugurated into the Criterion Collection... (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
  4. Feb 20, 2012
    Up until this movie, I could count on one hand the number of movies I chose not to finish (though there are many more I wish I had chosen not to finish). So to be fair to the movie, I only saw the first 30 minutes. To be fair to me, I have seen literally (yes literally, not figuratively) thousands of movies and it has to be really bad for me not to finish it.
    I like independent movies and
    I am patient with movies that don't appear to be going anywhere at first, I like movies where the actors look like average people and not movie stars. I was willing to overlook the self-indulgence, but the writing and the acting was so terrible it was too painful to watch any more. Much of the dailogue seemed to be ad-libbed which is great in the right hands but a disaster in the wrong hands such as these. It reminded me of an X-rated movie without the titillation.
    No doubt that Ms. Dunham has talent and hopefully she will find her voice and make a good movie, but this one wasn't it.
  5. j30
    May 9, 2012
    Tiny Furniture is just plain bad. There's some good material somewhere in this jumbled mess. It's hard to like Lena Dunham's character or any other character for that matter. I just watched the first two episodes of Girls, her new show on HBO, and it's really good. She has definitely improved her writing and direction in where she wants to go. As for Tiny Furniture, it feels like a patch work of self indulgent **** Expand
  6. Dec 4, 2012
    This movie had no theme, no motive and certainly no talent. The writing was dull and pointless and the acting was uncomfortable to watch. The only good thing was the production design and since it was her mother's house you can't give Lena Dunham any credit for that. The most pointless movie I've probably ever seen.

1. Reviewed by: Henry Barnes
    Mar 29, 2012
    Dunham, who pads through much of this extremely well-written, often funny and very touching film in the semi-nude, doesn't give a damn about any of it.
  2. Reviewed by: David Parkinson
    Mar 26, 2012
    Much-maligned it may be, but the so-called mumblecore movement continues to turn out gems. Lena Dunham's lo-fi, witty treatment of a semi-autobiographical tale adds another dozy to the canon.
  3. Reviewed by: Jamie Graham
    Mar 20, 2012
    Tiny Furniture announces Dunham as a talent to watch.