Paramount Pictures | Release Date: December 19, 1997
8.5
Universal acclaim based on 1101 Ratings
Watch Now
inaneswineNov 14, 2017
"Based on the tragedy that spawned thousands of heartbreaking true stories, comes this fake one."

It's time to decide: was it insensitive and somewhat cheap of James Cameron to throw two made-up passengers who fall in love onto the ship? Or did these two characters offer the audience an anchor to hold onto as we are guided through the dreadful events of April 15th, 1912? Without a doubt, the latter. The fictional story of Jack and Rose never distracts from the tragic true story, it cinematically enhances it. We never ever miss the bigger picture.

First of all, just look at this film. The resplendent wonder of the film's set design, both interior and exterior, places you right on board. It looks and feels the part. And when the inevitable disaster strikes, Cameron grabs onto you and drags you through each painful moment in striking detail. The sinking of the Titanic is brought to life with exquisite attention to detail and astonishing visual effects. It makes for the greatest disaster scenes in any movie I've seen.

However, a Roland Emmerich or Michael Bay film this is not, as Cameron never allows the spectacle to distract us from the agony of it. Watching the Titanic being destroyed is not fun or, in its broadest sense, exciting - it's intensely distressing. Unlike most disaster films, it never feels like we're watching a crowd of extras on a film set flailing around. The lead up to the iceberg strike engages you so convincingly in the period, such that each person in front of the camera has been imbued with rich character. And when the ship sinks, it genuinely shocks you to see them go. For a good part of the sinking, Jack and Rose's fictional plight is quite sensibly placed to one side, giving us time to reflect on the truth and how it would have felt to be aboard the ship that horrifying night.

So aside from its sweeping spectacle and moving depiction of real-life tragedy, what does the story of Jack and Rose bring to the table? In spite of how persuasive the film is, one must remember - it's ultimately a work of fiction, not a documentary. Like any period drama, it is an interpretation of how society worked at the time. Jack and Rose, as well as being beautifully played by DiCaprio and Winslet, are incredibly well crafted. They are a window into a much more subtle form of racism, which is still prevalent today. It's called class, and in the latter half of the movie, it becomes a tool with which to decide who lives and who dies.

Titanic has pretty much anything you can ask for. It's a romance; it's a disaster movie; it's an action film; it's got a sense of humour and wit; it's a period drama; it's a tragedy. Summed up, Titanic is about as perfect a cinematic experience as you're ever likely to get.
opethagallochNov 14, 2017
Don't put off this movie like I did for such a long time. I always thought it were a "chick flick", but it actually is one of the best disaster movies I've ever seen. I admit it's a bit slow, especially during the first half, but it gets muchDon't put off this movie like I did for such a long time. I always thought it were a "chick flick", but it actually is one of the best disaster movies I've ever seen. I admit it's a bit slow, especially during the first half, but it gets much better during the second. Expand
MLPNASCARFan18Oct 20, 2017
Titanic is one of James Cameron's finest works as a director and even today it's still one of the best true story movies in cinema history. Here you have a somewhat Romeo & Juliet story between Jack and Rose, two people from two differentTitanic is one of James Cameron's finest works as a director and even today it's still one of the best true story movies in cinema history. Here you have a somewhat Romeo & Juliet story between Jack and Rose, two people from two different backgrounds. Rose coming from a very highly elegant and rich family, Jack being a penniless artist with nothing to offer. It's a love story that has no boundaries and knowing what's right and wrong when it comes to who you love more. A cinematic masterpiece for generations to come Expand
lucasg_Oct 15, 2017
Titanic is a milestone in cine history, being the highest grossing film for nearly 20 years. A totally engaging, intensely emotive and wonderfully well done film; about me, it's the best moive that I had the pleasure to watich. Thanks, JamesTitanic is a milestone in cine history, being the highest grossing film for nearly 20 years. A totally engaging, intensely emotive and wonderfully well done film; about me, it's the best moive that I had the pleasure to watich. Thanks, James Cameron, for the best and timeless movie of the world. Expand
KenanLV426Jun 18, 2017
Timeless masterpiece from James Cameron that portrays the fate of the R.M.S. Titanic perfectly and delivers it to the audience through a great love story.
snakeordeathJun 6, 2017
You know that scene where they are at the front of the boat, they should have jumped and saved us the screentime. I want my 7 dollars back for the floppy disk I purchased this movie on. The part where they die...best part.
SonicHD7May 31, 2017
James Cameron's "Titanic" is an epic, action-packed romance set against the ill-fated maiden voyage of the R.M.S. Titanic; the pride and joy of the White Star Line and, at the time, the largest moving object ever built. She was the mostJames Cameron's "Titanic" is an epic, action-packed romance set against the ill-fated maiden voyage of the R.M.S. Titanic; the pride and joy of the White Star Line and, at the time, the largest moving object ever built. She was the most luxurious liner of her era -- the "ship of dreams" -- which ultimately carried over 1,500 people to their death in the ice cold waters of the North Atlantic in the early hours of April 15, 1912. Expand
MonkiReviewsMay 27, 2017
One of the best movies ever. The acting and script are amazing and powerful. The story is a mix of romance and heartbreak. The music could be listened to for a long time. Truly a great masterpiece.
Benkoko11Feb 23, 2017
Cameron's willingness to push the bounderies of filmmaking is demonstrated here with awe-inspiring results. Titanic is an epic, achingly tragic cinema experience.
colombogermanoJan 24, 2017
It scores 4 for the technical achievement. But the painful soap opera "love" story clinges on the disaster where more than 1500 people died. It is a waste of time and talent. I guess the high scores are due to Kate Winslet being nude in aIt scores 4 for the technical achievement. But the painful soap opera "love" story clinges on the disaster where more than 1500 people died. It is a waste of time and talent. I guess the high scores are due to Kate Winslet being nude in a secene. Want a Titanic Movie? Watch A Night to Remember. Expand
reviewfrom19842Dec 29, 2016
Titanic is a pretty good movie with some really good acting. Some parts about it are forgivable but other than that I would say you could watch Titanic.
Tiber5Oct 4, 2016
James Cameron's 1997 movie epic garnered instant acclaim upon release, grossed over 1 billion dollars at the box office (Avatar would beat this record over a decade later) and was given the dubious honor of being the most expensive productionJames Cameron's 1997 movie epic garnered instant acclaim upon release, grossed over 1 billion dollars at the box office (Avatar would beat this record over a decade later) and was given the dubious honor of being the most expensive production of all time. The plot tells of a poor steerage passenger named Jack Dawson who forms a romantic relationship with first class passenger Rose DeWitt Bukater onboard the "unsinkable" RMS Titanic. The film focuses mainly on the relationship between the duo up until the point the great ship strikes an iceberg and sinks rapidly, transforming it into a typical big budget summer blockbuster that tries to be more than just popcorn entertainment. The acting is decent, with Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet giving dramatic performances that are fueled by the romance between the two. Billy Zane is also good as Cal Hockley, a wealthy tycoon who plans to marry Rose. Overall, the film is good but one major complaint must be addressed. I think that the film uses one of the greatest tragedies in history to its advantage just a bit too much. Of course, Cameron had been on dives to the real wreck of the actual ship himself during filming and was very much moved by it, but his feelings and emotions towards the events are not portrayed very well on film. As is typical with many Hollywood epics, a small proportion of the what happens during the sinking is historically inaccurate but apart from that it leaves an overwhelming sense of grief upon you. Actually, that grief may be the reason why the film has received so much backlash in recent years, because the first time you see it, men and women will get teary-eyed in the end, but after a number of times it just isn't the same and you wish you were seeing it for the first time instead. All in all, a masterpiece as a standalone disaster film but a tad disappointing as a historically accurate Titanic film. If you wish to see a factual version, the 1958 film A Night to Remember may be more your cup of tea. Expand
MasterRileySep 21, 2016
Titanic is an astounding film that is perfectly written, casted, and directed. It pulls at your heart strings continuously throughout and leaves a mark making you never forget it. It is a must see for all, not just because of its historicalTitanic is an astounding film that is perfectly written, casted, and directed. It pulls at your heart strings continuously throughout and leaves a mark making you never forget it. It is a must see for all, not just because of its historical context, but because it is masterful film making at its finest. Expand
edwaz2000Sep 8, 2016
The love story develops in the best transatlantic trip in history, where two souls find each other on board. Social differences and an unhappy engagement are problems for the main characters, Jack and Rose. The biggest test comes at night,The love story develops in the best transatlantic trip in history, where two souls find each other on board. Social differences and an unhappy engagement are problems for the main characters, Jack and Rose. The biggest test comes at night, when the Titanic boat hits a big iceberg and they fight for their lives.
In my opinion, Titanic gripped people with its fantastic plot and deep soundtrack, which features Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go on," which makes me feel very sad. I think the scene that make the movie great was the moment when Rose was standing at the bow of the ship with her arms like a bird and Jack hugs and kisses her. I liked this because it was a beautiful and romantic love scene.
On the other hand, for me, the negative aspect of "Titanic" revolves around humanity. People in different classes have different rights and are treated unfairly when it's time to evacuate. Selfishness and greed appears in the escape scenes. Some are only concerned with their personal ambitions, like Rose's mother. She is fighting for power and greed.
titanicsucksJul 21, 2016
I once watched a trailer for titanic it was the most autistic gay piece of crap movie trailer there for the movie sucks i repeat the movie sucks. Also all of You haters who say i can not write a review on a movie i have not seen screw you toI once watched a trailer for titanic it was the most autistic gay piece of crap movie trailer there for the movie sucks i repeat the movie sucks. Also all of You haters who say i can not write a review on a movie i have not seen screw you to hell because titanic is crap. 0/10 Expand
RickyReviewsJun 22, 2016
Certainly one of the best films ever made. Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio are brilliant. The love story is so strong, you truly believe it. The ship as beautifully made and looks so lifelike. It is perfectly timed at 3 hours and 14Certainly one of the best films ever made. Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio are brilliant. The love story is so strong, you truly believe it. The ship as beautifully made and looks so lifelike. It is perfectly timed at 3 hours and 14 minutes, but seems it can go on longer even if it wanted to and still keep me hooked. The special effects during the sinking are spectacular also. Will watch this film again! Expand
FuturedirectorMar 11, 2016
James Cameron's Titanic is, of course a masterpiece, unofrgettable film, and 2 000 000 000-dollars-winner approximately. Sadly, we gotta remember that the main idea of the film is so natural and very simple of imagine. Titanic is a film whichJames Cameron's Titanic is, of course a masterpiece, unofrgettable film, and 2 000 000 000-dollars-winner approximately. Sadly, we gotta remember that the main idea of the film is so natural and very simple of imagine. Titanic is a film which plot isn't predictable, but very easy to make or think. Almost anybody could have a brilliant idea like that. The director, actors, visual-effects, sound, edition, photography and all the award-winning stuff in Titanic makes the film one of the most important in all cinema history. This film won all those dollars because of the story, the love, the actors, the nominations, the audience opinion, the Vistula-effects, the Oscar-winning song, and of course, Rose Dawson nudity. Expand
DyliebarMar 2, 2016
Honestly, I think this is James Cameron's masterpiece!!! It's unforgettable, it's interesting, it does not have a dull moment!! The love story is brilliant, and the 2nd half of the movie has all the tension and intensity I love!!!
Evyan2002Jan 24, 2016
Titanic is a romantic disaster film that suits everyone's needs. Titanic has amazing action and special effects. I recommend watching this movie for many reasons. 10/10
LepstrungJan 10, 2016
Only romantic movie I have ever seen. Too long and takes ages to one boat to sink. But atleats it has been made good and realistic. Some scenes are wierd.
EpicLadySpongeDec 29, 2015
It's not that great of a movie, but Titanic caught in the eye-popping excitement during the last bit of minutes of the movie. Sometimes, it may or may not be worth seeing the entire movie.
CineAutoctonoDec 2, 2015
Titanic , the best romance I saw in my life , but for " Passengers" , which DiCaprio and Winslet good boys , but a remembered romance agerridos roamed where a cruise ship was about to sink and those dead passengers by the frozen water of theTitanic , the best romance I saw in my life , but for " Passengers" , which DiCaprio and Winslet good boys , but a remembered romance agerridos roamed where a cruise ship was about to sink and those dead passengers by the frozen water of the Atlantic , but I think if you cease to be Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence fail to strike wing romance that will have space and I want to see , but this movie is incredible . Expand
smiyamotNov 29, 2015
Beautiful poor girl betrothed to a cruel rich man, heard that before. Falls in love with poor but exciting boy her age, hear that before. They all sail to America on the big, new Titanic, how lucky can you get. It's the love blossoming andBeautiful poor girl betrothed to a cruel rich man, heard that before. Falls in love with poor but exciting boy her age, hear that before. They all sail to America on the big, new Titanic, how lucky can you get. It's the love blossoming and the disaster that make the movie. And we discover all of this because of a salvaging crew looking for a mega valuable jewel that was in the Titanic's safe. It's fiction of course, so it's really great. The rich guy makes for a great villain so we are rooting for the 2 kids to find true love. I have this DVD in my collection. Expand
felipescavoOct 16, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. O primeiro filme que chamei de “favorito”. Incrível como “Titanic” nunca fica velho pra mim. Nunca.

Já devo ter assistido ao filme umas cem vezes ou mais. Aluguei muito até finalmente adquiri-lo em DVD e recentemente, em blu-ray. Assisti também no cinema, em 3D: uma experiência maravilhosa. E todas as vezes, sem exceção, a “morte do Titanic” conseguiu me chocar.

A cena que o navio se parte ao meio é uma das melhores. Mas também, uma das mais aterrorizantes. Ver aquele peso todo cair por cima daquelas pessoas dá uma agonia horrível! Depois, quando Titanic está submerso, e a câmera se afasta mostrando todo mundo gritando e buscando sobreviver. E pensar que tudo isso realmente aconteceu...

E a história de fundo, fictícia, também é muito bonita. Posso dizer que Jack e Rose formam um dos meus casais favoritos do cinema. Gosto do desenvolvimento dos personagens, a forma como se apaixonam pelo outro. Sempre muito triste quando Rose constata que Jack já não está mais vivo... BTW, ambos Kate Winslet e Leo DiCaprio deram um show de interpretação. Convincentes, eficientes, deram um toque sensível a Jack e Rose. E têm uma química inegável.

Destaques de atuação também para Billy Zane, Frances Fisher, Gloria Stuart, entre outros.

Direção do James Cameron muito boa. Por exemplo, as ótimas sequências em que temos um vislumbre perfeito do navio, voando sobre ele, quando o mesmo já está afundando.

Trilha sonora é um show à parte. Janes Horner fez um trabalho impecável. A edição de som também merece elogios.

Pra mim, um marco para o cinema. Um dos melhores filmes da minha vida.

“Mil e quinhentas pessoas caíram no mar. Havia 20 botes nas proximidades, e somente um voltou. Apenas um. Seis pessoas foram retiradas da água. Apenas seis, dentre mil e quinhentas. Depois, para as 700 pessoas nos botes só restavam esperar. Esperar para morrer, para a sobrevivência, ou para uma absolvição, que jamais viria.”
2141Sep 26, 2015
Love It or hate it. This movie Is a staple In movie history, It's visuals and story arc are ground breaking for 1997. Probably the only massive blockbuster where I LOVE the ending ! and Is historically accurate which Is rare for a holllywoodLove It or hate it. This movie Is a staple In movie history, It's visuals and story arc are ground breaking for 1997. Probably the only massive blockbuster where I LOVE the ending ! and Is historically accurate which Is rare for a holllywood movie! James cameron Is one of the best ! Expand
diogomendesSep 12, 2015
Classic picture about a tragedy that occurred a century ago, this James Cameron-directed drama is a well put together piece of work that boasts one of the finest Leonardo DiCaprio's performances to this date, and blends a script that is trueClassic picture about a tragedy that occurred a century ago, this James Cameron-directed drama is a well put together piece of work that boasts one of the finest Leonardo DiCaprio's performances to this date, and blends a script that is true to its based-in-real-life facts with breathtaking visuals and a romance subplot so deeply heartfelt it almost makes viewers cry. Really fantastic 3-hours film that's well paced and directed.

Final Score: 9/10

In memory of all the people that went to a more peaceful place. Rest in peace.
jojojojojojoAug 19, 2015
C'mon let's be honest, some years has passed ever since this came out, we can all agree on one thing: this movie is bad, like really bad, and boring, and meaningless, and makes no sense, but now it's on our pop culture, so whatever
CantandresJul 31, 2015
I am not a real fan of romantic movies in general but I did enjoy Titanic. It was visually very pleasing, the performances were quite good and the script was imaginative. Billy Zane was surprisingly good at playing the snobbish rich bastard,I am not a real fan of romantic movies in general but I did enjoy Titanic. It was visually very pleasing, the performances were quite good and the script was imaginative. Billy Zane was surprisingly good at playing the snobbish rich bastard, and Dicaprio had started to look like a man by the time it was made. Until then I had always thought he looked like a pretty girl. Expand
FilmVirtueJun 25, 2015
Cameron's disaster-to-come love story is as original as they come but overall is overrated and over hyped. It is visually impressive (Again, James Cameron) but when it comes to love stories, it tends to weigh on after the first hour. TitanicCameron's disaster-to-come love story is as original as they come but overall is overrated and over hyped. It is visually impressive (Again, James Cameron) but when it comes to love stories, it tends to weigh on after the first hour. Titanic has three hours attached to it. Are they worthwhile? That's up to you as a viewer because everyone's viewpoint is different. For me, this film rests as an above average love story with spectacular visuals. Expand
ThatCooperGuyJun 25, 2015
A very slightly blandish story. Just slightly, but James Cameron's "Titanic" still remains one of his best efforts with the help of some strong film-making.