Paramount Pictures | Release Date: December 19, 1997
8.5
Universal acclaim based on 1041 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Check box if your review contains spoilers 0 characteres (5000 max)
EssenceOfSugarJan 21, 2014
The Jack and Rose storyline doesn't ignore the plight of the other passengers - it is hard to fault the acting of the characters - especially considering the design of the entire film had to be dramatically vast and reveal accounts that areThe Jack and Rose storyline doesn't ignore the plight of the other passengers - it is hard to fault the acting of the characters - especially considering the design of the entire film had to be dramatically vast and reveal accounts that are accurate portrayals of their real-life counterparts. Thomas Andrews, the chief engineer of Titanic itself who went down with the ship and Molly Brown, known as 'The Unsinkable Molly Brown' who happened to not be acknowledged until after her death, are two examples.

The relationship between Jack and Rose is more an emphasis on society's expectations in 1912. Although the romance only lasted a few days, it happened at the point of one of history's greatest disasters and only the beginning of women's suffrage. The first class and third class passengers are so much in contrast despite Jack spending so much close proximity to them alongside his witty repartee, not to mention that at both ends of the spectrum it is clear that neither class are shown to be anything but themselves.

Some truly devastating dialogue, often as a pointer or a sad truth to reflect society's values, but also perhaps the odd humour that does something similar: "Music to drown to, now I know I'm in first class". There are many scenes of true beauty, such as the sunset over the sea with a poignant remark of the last light the ship ever saw. The soundtrack itself evoked beauty, particularly the rendition of Celine Dion's 'My Heart Will Go On' carrying on a beautiful moment at a truly wondrous event in the film.
Chris0CallaghanNov 2, 2011
Titanic is a movie merging two characters coming from completely different social backgrounds on the ill-fated ship. I don't understand why lots of people didn't like this movie. Q: Why is it such a "sappy" love story?
A: It's a trick used to
A: It's a trick used to make us love the main characters, so that when one of them dies, we feel sadness for all the other people that died with the ship.

Q: Why such a terrible script?
A: Seriously? It's brilliantly written. In fact, it closely has some of the aspects that the blockbuster "Inception" contains. You have to look closer than the dialogue and the actions of the story. Writing a screenplay is a very hard job. You have to symbolize with almost everything. You have to feel what the characters are feeling and how they would react to certain situations. Plus, there it has a pretty big plot behind it (you've got the heart of the ocean, the painting, the whistle, the hair pin, etc) that has to be weaved together... and this can be a VERY messy process that takes a LONG time to clean up. It's a slap in the face when someone says your work, in which you worked five years on, is horrible.

Q: Why the best picture?
A: Come on, it was the 90's. In that decade, picture wasn't that great considering it was VHS. And when they talk about best picture, they don't just talk about how HD the film is. They talk about the colors, the cinematography, the lighting, etc.

Q: Why the cheesy dialogue?
A: Okay, try writing a play right now. What would you say if you were in water BELOW FREEZING and you knew you were going to die. What would you say to your lover? It's not cheesy, and it's not dumb. It's well thought out. I have to go through my written dialogue many times before it seems right. The dialogue also has to move the story forward, which is what happened in the film. Q: Wow, there's no action before the sinking. Why?
A: What if Titanic was written differently? Maybe it introduces a thief on the ship who tries to kill everyone on board, and actually knocked the captain off the ship and drove it into the iceberg? It would be completely stupid. It doesn't follow history. Now, I know Jack and Rose are both fictitious characters, but there were many people on board the ship that had relationships. It's not like they knew the Titanic was going to sink and broke up so that it wasn't as depressing...

I'd just like to say that lots of people under-rate Titanic because it's a romance. Come on, there's actually a penis joke during a dinner scene. People are way to picky. You wanted to see a film of a ship sinking, and that's what you got. I give this film a 9/10.
lasttimeisawOct 3, 2012
To admit this is the first time I have watched TITANIC from A to Z might hinder my credibility as a serious film critic (as least a self-acclaimed title), I have had several sketchy viewings during all these years but never conquered itTo admit this is the first time I have watched TITANIC from A to Z might hinder my credibility as a serious film critic (as least a self-acclaimed title), I have had several sketchy viewings during all these years but never conquered it entirely, then all of sudden it occurred to me a few days ago this is the biggest loophole in my filmography which I should mend ASAP, so after the lengthy 3 hour saga, now I could feel calmer in facing the numerous household names still stuck in my to-be-watched list and meanwhile other potential newcomers have never stopped emerging.

To be honest with oneself, no one could deny TITANIC is a monumental masterpiece, the visual stunts are so compelling and marvel me in its verisimilitude of reconstructing such a monolith setting (what
beingryanjudeSep 8, 2014
One of the greats of our time--in terms of dramatic tragedy, disaster and direction. James Cameron largely took the romantic path of this unparalleled tragedy. The romanticism can be easily criticized; however, it makes this film and storyOne of the greats of our time--in terms of dramatic tragedy, disaster and direction. James Cameron largely took the romantic path of this unparalleled tragedy. The romanticism can be easily criticized; however, it makes this film and story much more cohesive. Expand
zied12Nov 17, 2013
How can anyone give a negative review about this movie! it's TITANIC the classic one of the best movies ever made! what's not to like the acting is really strong the story is great the characters are catching ...
what's wrong with people!!
Iky009Jan 6, 2014
O clássico de James CameronO clássico de James Cameron Expand
mds03Mar 15, 2013
What an amazingly crafted and directed movie. The ship sinking in the last hour of it was very intense and very real. You can tell that Cameron really did his research and was very committed to making a masterpiece of a movie. The cast wasWhat an amazingly crafted and directed movie. The ship sinking in the last hour of it was very intense and very real. You can tell that Cameron really did his research and was very committed to making a masterpiece of a movie. The cast was also perfect. There wasn't anyone who didn't do an insanely good and believable performance. Expand
dyshpoSep 24, 2013
might b a little predictable but that's what the target audience wants Anyone who is a hopeless romantic and those who believe in soul mates roughly 80 percent of the country .But nonetheless this is a Great movie ,epic, tragic, romantic.
Mordovan89Mar 1, 2014
Titanic is a great work accident of history's most famous ship, but this focuses more on love. It is great with good music, fun and even almost made me mourn, but the acting, this item failed. Titanic is a classic for a long time, yourTitanic is a great work accident of history's most famous ship, but this focuses more on love. It is great with good music, fun and even almost made me mourn, but the acting, this item failed. Titanic is a classic for a long time, your message or your greatest theme: love. Expand
JennyLuApr 15, 2014
Titanic is a movie that made me extremely respect the director James Cameron. Titanic is a outstanding dramatic film and it made me understand how true love can th overcome fear of death.
diogomendesSep 12, 2015
Classic picture about a tragedy that occurred a century ago, this James Cameron-directed drama is a well put together piece of work that boasts one of the finest Leonardo DiCaprio's performances to this date, and blends a script that is trueClassic picture about a tragedy that occurred a century ago, this James Cameron-directed drama is a well put together piece of work that boasts one of the finest Leonardo DiCaprio's performances to this date, and blends a script that is true to its based-in-real-life facts with breathtaking visuals and a romance subplot so deeply heartfelt it almost makes viewers cry. Really fantastic 3-hours film that's well paced and directed.

Final Score: 9/10

In memory of all the people that went to a more peaceful place. Rest in peace.
teddylukeMay 3, 2015
the 2nd best box office film ever and It is a really good film. the charters are great the titanic looks real and not fake (titanic 2) it is just a good film.
fardin8899Jun 5, 2015
titanic 1997 is an amazing romantic tragedy movie by james cameron
where Jack and rose play a trejic role by ending jack's life.
Awesome design and you really presnted it
with important information. thanks admin.
ConradR.Jul 9, 2001
Visual masterpiece which is one of a few historical movies which actually gets the facts right. Unfortunately, the movie editing is bad, and a vital piece is cut out where Jack is helped up onto the first class deck - as portrayed in the Visual masterpiece which is one of a few historical movies which actually gets the facts right. Unfortunately, the movie editing is bad, and a vital piece is cut out where Jack is helped up onto the first class deck - as portrayed in the movie: it is impossible for him to wander around the ship as he pleases. Expand
1 of 1 users found this helpful
MikeFeb 14, 2005
Great movie, from start to the ending. I was afraid that this movie would be boring, but it actually was very good.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
[Anonymous]Nov 4, 2005
T2 is more exciting, but Titanic is certainly worth a look. It certainly deserved Oscars, but maybe not eleven of them. It actually isn't boring...James Cameron proves himself versatile, as the movie flows along well...w/o fight T2 is more exciting, but Titanic is certainly worth a look. It certainly deserved Oscars, but maybe not eleven of them. It actually isn't boring...James Cameron proves himself versatile, as the movie flows along well...w/o fight sequences and battles in his action work. THe romance is actually well written...not too deep, but not phony or shallow, and for real, as it stands the test of disaster. In fact, this movie's charaters HATE phoniness, in a way both girls and guys can relate too and embrace. James Horner's score was great, too. Expand
0 of 0 users found this helpful
ScaraBAug 23, 2009
A solid movie, but no doubt one of the most overrated movies of all time. If you have a male friend that loves this film, dig further for evidence of his actual masulinity.
asylumspadezNov 20, 2011
The insanely long run time may shy some people away but this is a good film. I watched it numerous times on VHS when it first came out and I still enjoy it to this day (FYI - I am a guy).
davenbettridgeOct 5, 2011
The special effects and the intense tragedy of the sinking ship are well told, the romantic cut and paste story is cheese. Titanic is a good movie for sure but does show more than any other that its not the best movies that make the most money.
imthenoobJun 9, 2013
I remember watching this movie on VHS when it first came out and my sisters and I watched it twice in the first day we owned. A must see romance movie and suprisingly rather good.
AwesomeReviewerApr 10, 2012
â
OfficialNov 4, 2013
"Titanic", another one of James Cameron's masterpieces, is a powerful and strongly acted romantic film. The use of CGI is great and the script is well-written. It did take some time to get going though.
axelkochAug 25, 2012
Long sometimes and the character of Hockley is just a stereotypical bad guy, but that were already all the bad things about this movie. A masterpiece, that mixes a wonderful love story with fantastic special effects! Deserved all of the won Oscars!
Rox22Jan 30, 2013
This is one of those movies you either love or hate, well, most of the time. I don't love it, but I will say I liked it. As a typical love story it works, and the effects (at the time) were phenomenal. Leo became the pretty boy everyThis is one of those movies you either love or hate, well, most of the time. I don't love it, but I will say I liked it. As a typical love story it works, and the effects (at the time) were phenomenal. Leo became the pretty boy every straight guy hates with a passion (because he makes the rest of us look bad.) Plus a song that will stick in your head until the end of time (I bet you're thinking of it right now.) Seriously, I thought this movie achieved what it was intended to be: A tragic love story on the Titanic. It was funny when it was suppose to be funny, sappy when it was meant to be sappy. Sad when .... well you get the idea.Overall: A movie that well deserved the acclaim it got and will always be a classic, While I do have few minor issues with the movie, i generally enjoyed it. Expand
Annoymous1Jan 8, 2013
The 1912 boat conspiracy turns into a excellent movie called, well you guessed it "Titanic"! Titanic is a tragic tale about a rich lady and a young man who fall in love. Even though i was expecting it to be a disaster film like James CameronThe 1912 boat conspiracy turns into a excellent movie called, well you guessed it "Titanic"! Titanic is a tragic tale about a rich lady and a young man who fall in love. Even though i was expecting it to be a disaster film like James Cameron usually dos this movie catches your heart like a beautiful song when the lady went on the tip of the Titanic. The only problem that made me -2 points was the fact that James Cameron lost most of the important bits like when the Titanic's splits into half. Expand
ScorpionMay 6, 2013
With the main plot predictable, bland full of laburios, the only thing really worth this film and Part 2, reporting accuracy and compliance with the anguish of all passengers on board, made ​​superbly by J.Cameron.
ThatCooperGuyJun 25, 2015
A very slightly blandish story. Just slightly, but James Cameron's "Titanic" still remains one of his best efforts with the help of some strong film-making.
SythusRATINGSOct 18, 2014
A fictional romantic tale of a rich girl (Winslet) and a poor bohemian boy (DiCaprio) who meet on the ill-fated voyage of the 'unsinkable' ship, the RMS Titanic.
harihariMar 7, 2015
Titanic is an unmatchable movie experience. It may have a mishmash romance,but after all cameron intended to make a movie on titanic and he wanted the viewers to 'go into' it, so he chose this love story. In tyat case titanic is bst movie ever
homer4presidentMar 13, 2015
The first half of the movie did not win me over with the romance and the fact that nothing cool is happening. When the iceberg comes into play, is when the real movie begins. The way the movies is done during that part is intense butThe first half of the movie did not win me over with the romance and the fact that nothing cool is happening. When the iceberg comes into play, is when the real movie begins. The way the movies is done during that part is intense but beautiful. Even though there is lots of destruction taking place, it still has that almost angelic feeling. Also because the movie is so long, it allows the audience to become attached to the love story surrounding Jack and Rose. Expand
CineAutoctonoDec 2, 2015
Titanic , the best romance I saw in my life , but for " Passengers" , which DiCaprio and Winslet good boys , but a remembered romance agerridos roamed where a cruise ship was about to sink and those dead passengers by the frozen water of theTitanic , the best romance I saw in my life , but for " Passengers" , which DiCaprio and Winslet good boys , but a remembered romance agerridos roamed where a cruise ship was about to sink and those dead passengers by the frozen water of the Atlantic , but I think if you cease to be Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence fail to strike wing romance that will have space and I want to see , but this movie is incredible . Expand
EpicLadySpongeDec 29, 2015
It's not that great of a movie, but Titanic caught in the eye-popping excitement during the last bit of minutes of the movie. Sometimes, it may or may not be worth seeing the entire movie.
LepstrungJan 10, 2016
Only romantic movie I have ever seen. Too long and takes ages to one boat to sink. But atleats it has been made good and realistic. Some scenes are wierd.
JohnT.Apr 6, 2002
Certainly there have been films more desserving of 12 acadamy awards (The Lord of the Rings, Gosford Park, Ghost) but Titanic is an enjoyable, if an overly long experience.
jwt7000Aug 2, 2012
The first half of this movie: boring. The second half of this movie actually defines the movie with amazing drama and special effects. Although this is one of the most popular movies of all time, some people cried with the main theme songThe first half of this movie: boring. The second half of this movie actually defines the movie with amazing drama and special effects. Although this is one of the most popular movies of all time, some people cried with the main theme song that felt so emotional. Expand
joreganoMay 31, 2011
he number of times in this unbelievably badly-written script that the two [lead characters] refer to each other by name was an indication of just how dramatically the script lacked anything more interesting for the actors to say.Also,he number of times in this unbelievably badly-written script that the two [lead characters] refer to each other by name was an indication of just how dramatically the script lacked anything more interesting for the actors to say.Also, filmmaker Robert Altman called it "the most dreadful piece of work I've ever seen in my entire life Expand
TheNewSpielbergApr 1, 2011
James Cameron's 1997 movie epic garnered instant acclaim upon release, grossed over 1 billion dollars at the box office (Avatar would beat this record over a decade later) and was given the dubious honor of being the most expensive productionJames Cameron's 1997 movie epic garnered instant acclaim upon release, grossed over 1 billion dollars at the box office (Avatar would beat this record over a decade later) and was given the dubious honor of being the most expensive production of all time. The plot tells of a poor steerage passenger named Jack Dawson who forms a romantic relationship with first class passenger Rose DeWitt Bukater onboard the "unsinkable" RMS Titanic. The film focuses mainly on the relationship between the duo up until the point the great ship strikes an iceberg and sinks rapidly, transforming it into a typical big budget summer blockbuster that tries to be more than just popcorn entertainment. The acting is decent, with Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet giving dramatic performances that are fueled by the romance between the two. Billy Zane is also good as Cal Hockley, a wealthy tycoon who plans to marry Rose. Overall, the film is good but one major complaint must be addressed. I think that the film uses one of the greatest tragedies in history to its advantage just a bit too much. Of course, Cameron had been on dives to the real wreck of the actual ship himself during filming and was very much moved by it, but his feelings and emotions towards the events are not portrayed very well on film. As is typical with many Hollywood epics, a small proportion of the what happens during the sinking is historically inaccurate but apart from that it leaves an overwhelming sense of grief upon you. Actually, that grief may be the reason why the film has received so much backlash in recent years, because the first time you see it, men and women will get teary-eyed in the end, but after a number of times it just isn't the same and you wish you were seeing it for the first time instead. All in all, a masterpiece as a standalone disaster film but a tad disappointing as a historically accurate Titanic film. If you wish to see a factual version, the 1958 film A Night to Remember may be more your cup of tea. Expand
spadenxDec 22, 2011
Far too long, Really drags on the film as long as it can until it can go no more. I enjoyed the film ,dont get me wrong, but the runtime killed me in the end. Acting was ok but no where near as impressive as the film's special effects.
oxanaAug 24, 2014
Not my type of movie in any way, but surely the people who are into the everlasting story of love and tragedy enjoy it. After all, this is more about the affair of Rose (Kate Winslet) and Jack (Leonardo DiCaprio) than it is about one of theNot my type of movie in any way, but surely the people who are into the everlasting story of love and tragedy enjoy it. After all, this is more about the affair of Rose (Kate Winslet) and Jack (Leonardo DiCaprio) than it is about one of the most famous ships of all time.

Titanic sank on her maiden voyage. A lot of people died - unnecessarily, perhaps. That's what most people know about the real events. I myself find that sometimes I just want to keep reading stories told by the survivors, to get the feel of things.

This movie has won a heap of awards since it was released, and not for nothing: the movie looks really good. The design of the boat was very beautiful and authentic looking, as were the clothes and other details seen in the film. It gives you a good, solid whiff of what it was like back in the day.

The story itself is structured quite nicely between past and present, although the present isn't quite as well detailed as the past. Rose, who survived the shipwreck, recounts her story to a group of avid listeners. For some reason they are mesmerized by the story of suffocating future and an alternative opportunity of adventure, although their interest simply lies on finding a valuable diamond and its fate.

Amazingly enough, the whole three hours that this movie lasts, and only the last hour or so focusing on the actual events of the sinking, the movie doesn't get boring. Although there isn't much going on in the beginning, there was just enough vibe going on to keep one looking and waiting for the inevitable. After all, we all know how the story ends before it even begins.
OnAnarchyApr 14, 2012
An achievement in visual filmmaking and a textbook case of overestimation. This film undeservedly cleaned up 1997's Academy Awards, due mostly to poor telecasts of prior ceremonies and bowing to public pressure. In reality, this movieAn achievement in visual filmmaking and a textbook case of overestimation. This film undeservedly cleaned up 1997's Academy Awards, due mostly to poor telecasts of prior ceremonies and bowing to public pressure. In reality, this movie deserved every technical award it could muster, and not a single one more. Picked up a best picture award over the much superior film L.A. Confidential. A good film with great visuals, but does not rank among the great films of our time. Expand
SpangleDec 13, 2014
As a whole, Titanic is certainly a pretty good film. The strongest element of this is the production elements. While outdated by the time I watched it, for 1997 it is very good. In addition, the disaster sequences were brilliantly executedAs a whole, Titanic is certainly a pretty good film. The strongest element of this is the production elements. While outdated by the time I watched it, for 1997 it is very good. In addition, the disaster sequences were brilliantly executed and put together to perfection. It reminded me positively of 1970's classics The Poseidon Adventure and The Towering Inferno. Both are seen as the pinnacle of disaster films and this one certainly echoes those and improves on them thanks to advancements in technology. In addition, the film certainly has its beautiful moments. While the romance may be poured on a little thick at times, it certainly really shines at times and makes you feel chills all over. Leonardo DiCaprio is also good as Jack Dawson, though he does falter at times, in large part due to poor writing. I did not like the writing for much of this one and the lines were laughable at times. In addition, Kate Winslet's performance left much to be desired. She had her moments where she was great, but when paired with a much stronger actor in DiCaprio, he left her in the dust far too often. The supporting cast was strong for the most part, however, which was good. As a whole, Titanic succeeds most in capturing the atmosphere and events surrounding the Titanic. Both the sinking and aftermath of it are brilliantly moving and engrossing, which stand as the best part of the film to me. It certainly has its negatives, but Titanic gets more negative reviews than it deserves due to the at times sappy and unbelievable romance element, which is too bad. Expand
dante_finnDec 22, 2012
A true cinematic masterpiece
ryanMoriarityFeb 9, 2013
The visuals are absolutely stunning, it could pass as raw footage of the cruiser sinking itself. But before all of the thrills and excitement, you're forced to deal with the lousy chemistry between the romantic protagonists.
MarkMusicMar 22, 2013
Oh, James you made this then made the terrible Avatar, why. Titanic was great story, great acting, great music. I like the idea of a first class girl falling for a no class guy or low class guy. Its like the dream that fan girls have withOh, James you made this then made the terrible Avatar, why. Titanic was great story, great acting, great music. I like the idea of a first class girl falling for a no class guy or low class guy. Its like the dream that fan girls have with getting Chris Brown, Nick Jonas, Trey Songz. and guys have with getting Vanessa Hudgens (ME), Beyonce, or Alicia Keys. The only real problem I and probably everyone else has for this movie is the length dammit James. I'm not gonna sit in the theater for 4hours. After I saw Avatar I was not gonna sit in the theater for it or Titanic again. Unesecarrly long films. Other then that its a good film. Yes with this really good review I give it a 7. Don't know why. Expand
eagleeyevikingFeb 2, 2014
The romance element in Titanic is undoubtely cheesy and sappy but the disaster scene provides a lot of impressive CGI and some emotional punch to counter its other minor flaws.
vikesh2206Nov 10, 2014
CantandresJul 31, 2015
I am not a real fan of romantic movies in general but I did enjoy Titanic. It was visually very pleasing, the performances were quite good and the script was imaginative. Billy Zane was surprisingly good at playing the snobbish rich bastard,I am not a real fan of romantic movies in general but I did enjoy Titanic. It was visually very pleasing, the performances were quite good and the script was imaginative. Billy Zane was surprisingly good at playing the snobbish rich bastard, and Dicaprio had started to look like a man by the time it was made. Until then I had always thought he looked like a pretty girl. Expand
PatC.Jan 8, 2004
The greatest button-pusher of all time. Gets away with being too long: Riveting storytelling and great editing. Who cares if it doesn't always ring true. Someone should. I do. It's not enough that so many drowned so long ago, now The greatest button-pusher of all time. Gets away with being too long: Riveting storytelling and great editing. Who cares if it doesn't always ring true. Someone should. I do. It's not enough that so many drowned so long ago, now we're losing fine jewelry too. Will this tragedy ever end? Expand
0 of 2 users found this helpful
NathanTOct 24, 2006
The idea that this was a better film than "L.A. Confidential" or the nominated "Boogie Nights" or "The Sweet Hereafter" is plain silly. But watching "Titanic" again for the first time in a few years, I was struck by how much of it does work. The idea that this was a better film than "L.A. Confidential" or the nominated "Boogie Nights" or "The Sweet Hereafter" is plain silly. But watching "Titanic" again for the first time in a few years, I was struck by how much of it does work. Unfortunately what does work is hampered at every turn by what doesn't. James Cameron doesn't let the British shine (this is an American movie) and he can't resist the urge to do those cutesy references to the era of the film (and aren't we all so clever looking back knowing who Picasso is while the benighted fools aboard think he's doomed to be a starving artist?). Yet what works is the film's romance, as cornball and contrived as it may be. Far from Leonardo DiCaprio's best performance (that would be as Howard Hughes in the far, far superior "The Aviator"), Kate Winslet keeps the film afloat on her shoulders and provides a compelling reason to watch "Titanic" even as it sinks (literally). And remember how fashionable it was to say in 1997 that you only liked the last hour of it when all the 'cool' special effects take over? Regretfully there isn't enough heat in those dramatic closing scenes and the direction feels off for that material. But as the 1990s was the decade of the period piece winning the Best Picture prize ("American Beauty" and "Silence of the Lambs" notwithstanding), this predictably swept the Oscars that year. It's a decent, occasionally overwrought film that sold more tickets and ran for longer than it deserved to. But as a Best Picture winner, it's sandwiched in between one of the 1990s best films, "The English Patient" and the delightfully romantic "Shakespeare in Love". Those two are deserving of every second they ask of the viewer. Expand
FrederickS.Jun 10, 2006
The wettest and most hyped movie of all time.
RobertC.Feb 25, 2004
I do give at least one credit to Titanic...it's the most mysterious commericially wise. Like how a film like this could win nearly twice as much awards as works of art like The Godfather or Apocalyse Now. Was it really that good, or was I do give at least one credit to Titanic...it's the most mysterious commericially wise. Like how a film like this could win nearly twice as much awards as works of art like The Godfather or Apocalyse Now. Was it really that good, or was the entire year a mediocre joke in cinematic history. How could a overly-expensive film starring merely a pretty face cause a whole list of fangirls (whom are dead to me for making this successful) to make this an unbearable phenomenon. Bottom line is though it's an alright film, with great visuals and decent acting, there's no reason that is ever shouldn't been this large, for it honestly doesn't deserve a 10th of it's worldwide gross nor 11 Oscars. Expand
JakeDec 18, 2005
Not all that bad, but definately not worth the 600 million at the box office and the 13 oscars. The film was very entertaining and visually stunning, but the romantic aspects of the film seemed both cliche and fabricated. It was pretty much Not all that bad, but definately not worth the 600 million at the box office and the 13 oscars. The film was very entertaining and visually stunning, but the romantic aspects of the film seemed both cliche and fabricated. It was pretty much Romeo and Juliet mixed with Lady and the Tramp. But the ending was amazing and gorgeous to look at. A lot like Pearl Harbor, i was disappointed that hollywood could take horrible disaster and turn it into a mediocre romance flick. Ultimately entertaining, but left a whole lot to be desired! Expand
gm101Oct 6, 2010
After all these years, I regret contributing to Titanic's box office. Horrible story and characters. And is it just me, or does James Cameron just has to have sex in (almost) all of his movies? I think this movie deserves a 0, but I'm givingAfter all these years, I regret contributing to Titanic's box office. Horrible story and characters. And is it just me, or does James Cameron just has to have sex in (almost) all of his movies? I think this movie deserves a 0, but I'm giving it a passing grade of 6 only becuase of: 1. 90s nostolgia 2. Great acting by Billy Zane, the only good actor in the movie 3. I admit, I love the song sung by Celine Dion Expand
JawsLaxerDramaDec 20, 2012
I love to hate this movie. I hate to love this movie. Titanic, is without question, long and doesn't get interesting until about 90 minutes into the movie. As much as i hate the song "My heart will go on" and on...and on...This didn't deserveI love to hate this movie. I hate to love this movie. Titanic, is without question, long and doesn't get interesting until about 90 minutes into the movie. As much as i hate the song "My heart will go on" and on...and on...This didn't deserve best picture. It is by far not a classic. Still, this is a groundbreaking movie and should be crowned as a glorious movie, by all means, yes. I know why people hate it as well as love it. I go back and forth between loving and hating it with a passion. No idea why. The effects are just...un-freakin-believably good. I felt as if I was there. The lines are often cheesy, but...you do have to remember, you can't just have a movie about Titanic that spands 3 hours. That is why it is a love story. I'm not one for romance anyways. So, I understand if you think it's the greatest movie ever. I also understand if you think it's the worst. In some ways, I would love to give this movie a 3 a be done with it. But, I'm forgetting, that there is something special to this movie. Kate Winslet is great. I didn't like Leo Dicaprio, but again, the whole Jack character annoyed the hell out of me. Cameron, please DO NOT write movies. Expand
ncstatemikeAug 31, 2013
[6.9] It's a mostly good movie, but the romantic and suspenseful elements don't really work well together. It's also hard to create suspense when your audience knows what inevitably is going to happen. The movie would also be much better if[6.9] It's a mostly good movie, but the romantic and suspenseful elements don't really work well together. It's also hard to create suspense when your audience knows what inevitably is going to happen. The movie would also be much better if it didn't include scenes from the present. It's quite an experience, it just isn't the most convincing one. Expand
MuddsjrAug 10, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. a half decent film that definitely entertains with the first few watches, though it is a bit long. the thing for me was the fact neither Rose nor Jack seemed intent on beeping that horn in the car, that could have been done more, because it was a moment I felt slightly humored. Also, I'm sure there was enough space on that rafter for Jack to get on too, so it was his fault. But no, seriously, this is a film that I've regularly seen bring a tear to people's eyes. Expand
FilmVirtueJun 25, 2015
Cameron's disaster-to-come love story is as original as they come but overall is overrated and over hyped. It is visually impressive (Again, James Cameron) but when it comes to love stories, it tends to weigh on after the first hour. TitanicCameron's disaster-to-come love story is as original as they come but overall is overrated and over hyped. It is visually impressive (Again, James Cameron) but when it comes to love stories, it tends to weigh on after the first hour. Titanic has three hours attached to it. Are they worthwhile? That's up to you as a viewer because everyone's viewpoint is different. For me, this film rests as an above average love story with spectacular visuals. Expand
RickJ.G.Jan 15, 2003
The only aspects of this vastly overrated movie I enjoyed was David Warner as the villain body guard and the special effects. Warner simply makes a good villain and the movie is a visual achievement. I finally gave in and saw the film The only aspects of this vastly overrated movie I enjoyed was David Warner as the villain body guard and the special effects. Warner simply makes a good villain and the movie is a visual achievement. I finally gave in and saw the film immediately after it won all those academy awards and, unlike the herd that loves this movie, I wasn't falling over myself to get back to the theater and see it again and again. You don't need to spend $200 million to write a good screenplay. Instead we are subjected to a lame after-school romance special with lousy, contrived dialog. No wait, Jack tells Rose she's the most amazing person he has ever known! I hadn't heard that before. I was laughing at the silly proceedings by that point in the movie. I wish Rose had checked out on the deck at the beginning of the movie and not forced me to wait nearly three hours to finally see the ship sink sinking. Also, a little pipsqueak like DiCaprio does not make for a convincing street tough. Bad casting move. Romanticing life on the lower decks of the ship is a major blight on historical memory. Titanic is the best example in our time of wholesale bribery effectively used to buy a bunch of academy awards (None of them for the movie's acting, for obvious reasons). Expand
0 of 3 users found this helpful
AndrewMNov 23, 2004
I will admit, this film was already tainted in my eyes before I had seen it - before I had even seen the trailer. The reason: the whole premise of this film just rubs me the wrong way. It did when I first read about, it did when I watched it I will admit, this film was already tainted in my eyes before I had seen it - before I had even seen the trailer. The reason: the whole premise of this film just rubs me the wrong way. It did when I first read about, it did when I watched it (the one and only time) and it continues to do so today. A fictional love story set aboard one of the greatest disasters the world has even seen... Am I the only one a little put off by this notion?! If so, I am wholly comfortable with my solitude. It just strikes me as either poor judgement by the filmmakers, or a distinct lack of confidence on their part that this story could not be pulled off without a vicarious angle. Now I appreciate that the story of the famous ship and its fate was a large part of film...but let's be honest, it's not what the film was really about. It was the love story. The characters. Their story. And that's fine - or would have been, anywhere else! On a side note, the fact that Di Caprio was involved certainly didn't help things - he is one of the most overrated actors around. Winslet on the other hand was an asset, as were most of the supporting cast. The writing was impressive, at times memorable. The direction was as resolute as humanly possible. The costumes, the set decorations, the art direction, it's all grand and completely pertinent to the setting - but I can't get past the thought that this film would have been so much more respectable, and could have worked every bit as well, on a less infamous and melodramatic stage as the Titanic. I know many will say I'm missing the whole point: that this is fantasy set against a historical backdrop. If so, again, it just leaves me cold. The bottom line is that I give this film 5/5 for execution, and 0/5 for foundation; when I watch a film about the Titanic, just gimme the facts! Expand
grandpajoe6191Sep 26, 2011
"Titanic" has its glorious pictures, but director James Cameron forcefully brings tears to the audience with its cheesy dialogue and the overwhelming sole focus on the chemistry between the two main characters.
BradySmithMay 13, 2013
Ok, so the sequences where the ship was sinking could be very impressive, but the story is such pure 100% chick-flick sap, and the dialogue so corny, that no amount of grandeur, amazing visual effects, or Cameron's A game direction can saveOk, so the sequences where the ship was sinking could be very impressive, but the story is such pure 100% chick-flick sap, and the dialogue so corny, that no amount of grandeur, amazing visual effects, or Cameron's A game direction can save it. Why such a cheezy screenplay James? It's watchable and better than most chick flicks, but that really isn't saying much. I'm flying? I'm flying? What the crap were you thinking when you wrote that part? Let's put this girl on some acid? Expand
prossnip42Jan 4, 2015
hello highest grossing generic movie of all time. seriously this movie is my opinion is so painfully overrated that i could watch flowers grow and would not be as bored as this. Its too bad because the movie had this great disaster wherehello highest grossing generic movie of all time. seriously this movie is my opinion is so painfully overrated that i could watch flowers grow and would not be as bored as this. Its too bad because the movie had this great disaster where hundreds of people die and what do they ficus on? The god damn romance. Guys you are not making an anime (which would be kinda awesome). so yeah it is an overrated movie and in no **** way does it deserve to be the highest grossing film of all time Expand
BeastprogamerMar 18, 2015
Okay, now to be honest, this movie is fine but the mistakes or crap were:
1. Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet make an awful couple.
2. Some parts were boring. The only thing I like is the Ship R.M.S. Titanic sinking but I hate to see a
Okay, now to be honest, this movie is fine but the mistakes or crap were:
1. Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet make an awful couple.
2. Some parts were boring.
The only thing I like is the Ship R.M.S. Titanic sinking but I hate to see a lot of people died. The lines were okay. The graphics are great, especially in 3D. The characters were kinda dumb (except for the real people: Captain Smith, Officers, John Jacob Astor, etc.) but dumb cause of awful couple.
FuturedirectorMar 11, 2016
James Cameron's Titanic is, of course a masterpiece, unofrgettable film, and 2 000 000 000-dollars-winner approximately. Sadly, we gotta remember that the main idea of the film is so natural and very simple of imagine. Titanic is a film whichJames Cameron's Titanic is, of course a masterpiece, unofrgettable film, and 2 000 000 000-dollars-winner approximately. Sadly, we gotta remember that the main idea of the film is so natural and very simple of imagine. Titanic is a film which plot isn't predictable, but very easy to make or think. Almost anybody could have a brilliant idea like that. The director, actors, visual-effects, sound, edition, photography and all the award-winning stuff in Titanic makes the film one of the most important in all cinema history. This film won all those dollars because of the story, the love, the actors, the nominations, the audience opinion, the Vistula-effects, the Oscar-winning song, and of course, Rose Dawson nudity. Expand
KellyE.Jun 1, 2005
I found it too unbeliveable.
JaeqJul 26, 2008
There's Great, Good, Okay, Bad, and Terrible when it comes to movies, This one is somewhere between okay and bad, don't mean to be sexist, but many girls and women tend to see movies for other things than what they are, in this There's Great, Good, Okay, Bad, and Terrible when it comes to movies, This one is somewhere between okay and bad, don't mean to be sexist, but many girls and women tend to see movies for other things than what they are, in this case, pretty boy leonardo decaprio in a 4 hour softcore porno, same idea with brokeback mountain , imagine a stupid chick flick that takes a 5/10, now put homsexual romance in it, goldmine. Expand
0 of 6 users found this helpful
moonman1994Feb 10, 2013
A silly unrealistic and inaccurate sappy love story. I never really have understood why it is so critically acclaimed. Luckily critics and people have seen this fact to (with it's scores that dropped on rotten tomatoes after it wasA silly unrealistic and inaccurate sappy love story. I never really have understood why it is so critically acclaimed. Luckily critics and people have seen this fact to (with it's scores that dropped on rotten tomatoes after it was re-released in 3D). A lot of people say that this film features a "classic" love story but there's nothing "classic" about it. Star-crossed lovers that couldn't ever be together due to society and a tragic ending resulting the death of one of them. Sound a bit familiar? it should. No, not every aspect of Titanic is horrible. It's visually amazing for one but that's its sole redeeming quality for me. I'm sorry but this did NOT deserve best picture. Expand
jojojojojojoAug 19, 2015
C'mon let's be honest, some years has passed ever since this came out, we can all agree on one thing: this movie is bad, like really bad, and boring, and meaningless, and makes no sense, but now it's on our pop culture, so whatever
SteveT.Jun 27, 2001
Possibly the worst movie I have ever seen in my life. Visually, it's a masterpiece. But the screenplay/story is just horrible. The f-word was never said during that decade and I hate the way Rose was in cold water for over 30 minutes Possibly the worst movie I have ever seen in my life. Visually, it's a masterpiece. But the screenplay/story is just horrible. The f-word was never said during that decade and I hate the way Rose was in cold water for over 30 minutes and somehow never had hypothermia. Another thing is that 1st class people would never even think of talking or be seen with lower class people. There wasn't even a way for the low class people to go the deck! Main point is watch the movie with the volume down and watch about 10 minutes and that's it. Expand
2 of 12 users found this helpful
IsabelJul 1, 2002
This was one of the few movies I ever walked out on. I never fail to be stupified by those who like this silly thing. With a horrendous script and lame acting, this movie commits the egregious sin of taking an actual heartwrenching event and This was one of the few movies I ever walked out on. I never fail to be stupified by those who like this silly thing. With a horrendous script and lame acting, this movie commits the egregious sin of taking an actual heartwrenching event and turning it into sentimental Hollywood mush. Expand
1 of 5 users found this helpful
matroycemMay 13, 2013
The story of the Titanic is well known and so the backing plot will not come as a surprise. However the Writers thought that they had to MAKE a story to make the film. This consisted in a Terrible Love story, Weak characters and a stupid runThe story of the Titanic is well known and so the backing plot will not come as a surprise. However the Writers thought that they had to MAKE a story to make the film. This consisted in a Terrible Love story, Weak characters and a stupid run time. The performances, cinematography and special effects were good. But the character development was rubbish and I really did not get emotional involved with anyone. There was no real suspense which I know can be done in a film like this if the characters get under your skin. I would have prefered to stay more with the people who were left to die rather than see the film through the eyes of the Gentry aboard the HMS Titanic. The scene with Rose and Jack and the painting... What was the point? did we need to have it other than just to make it news worthy. I cannot believe that this film grossed as much as it did. People went Back to see it. Was there something they missed? Maybe they went back to search for a plot but that went down with the ship. Expand
JawsPapi87Sep 2, 2011
Oh do I hate this movie!!! Why did it have to center on a sappy love story? And why so formulaic? And why such a terrible script? And why such over the top and upfront heartbreak? AND WHY BEST PICTURE???
pauljohnsonJun 6, 2012
11 Oscars? Why? While James Cameron's "Titanic" certainly delivers as a visual feast and a breakthrough in set design, it is bogged down by a predictable love story without anything new brought to the tired formula. The real stories of the11 Oscars? Why? While James Cameron's "Titanic" certainly delivers as a visual feast and a breakthrough in set design, it is bogged down by a predictable love story without anything new brought to the tired formula. The real stories of the real people and real heroism on board the ship are shamelessly ignored, and sometimes offensively twisted, in the film's portrayal of the Titanic's First Officer, Lieutenant William Murdoch. So offensively in fact, the film's production staff had to apologise to the entire town where Murdoch grew up. What's worse, is that this film has become synonymous with the real story of the Titanic. So, a real story of Human sacrifice, heroism, bravery and selflessness in the face of impending death has been supplanted by a third-rate teeny-bopper love story. Great. Expand
PetrocelliApr 5, 2015
Maybe the most overrated movie ever. Special effects meet a dopey screenplay and bad acting. The plot: Kate Winslet's boyfriend gets her the biggest diamond in the world, and takes her to NYC in the biggest stateroom in the biggest oceanMaybe the most overrated movie ever. Special effects meet a dopey screenplay and bad acting. The plot: Kate Winslet's boyfriend gets her the biggest diamond in the world, and takes her to NYC in the biggest stateroom in the biggest ocean liner in the world. She pays him back by banging a guy from steerage in front of all his friends. What a trollop. The only disappointment is that this cheap whore didn't go down with the boat. Love story? Only if you think a cheating tramp is a heroine. Expand
AndraB.Jun 8, 2002
..and it's a generous grade, inspired by the fx (even if we've seen better in Matrix, Haunted, etc). The subject: another unhappy love story (plenty of them since Romeo & Juliet), but we accept it. The message: very uncertain ..and it's a generous grade, inspired by the fx (even if we've seen better in Matrix, Haunted, etc). The subject: another unhappy love story (plenty of them since Romeo & Juliet), but we accept it. The message: very uncertain (maybe 'fate is irevocable', maybe 'carpe diem', maybe 'life goes on', maybe 'love is blind' or 'love never dies') but we accept it. But the contradictions, the sense of incomplete, the horrid-acting of Leonardo something and the fat miss with red hair, the way action develops, those pathetic love scenes ... that's hard to accept from a film quoted .... 11 Academy Award nominees??? No more comments. Expand
1 of 5 users found this helpful
BrunoM.May 19, 2005
I don't like romance.
JimG.Nov 28, 2005
Muzak for the eyes. Tedious, vacuous, schmaltz.
2 of 13 users found this helpful
python2000Aug 14, 2013
The main reason everybody likes this movie is because of the last 30 minutes where the boat sinks, it's awesome but that means the rest of the movie is irrelevant. Leonardo Di Caprio and Kate Winslet are a terrible couple and the onlyThe main reason everybody likes this movie is because of the last 30 minutes where the boat sinks, it's awesome but that means the rest of the movie is irrelevant. Leonardo Di Caprio and Kate Winslet are a terrible couple and the only chemistry is between the ship and the iceberg. Expand
stephens.Jul 3, 2005
Actually the rating should be a 2 or 3, but considering this won Oscars, a 1 or zero is appropriate. The absolute worst "best film" On a par with such other successful stinkers such as Forrest Gump and Deer Hunter.
1 of 6 users found this helpful
ChrisR.Jul 7, 2001
Cameron takes one of the most dramatic stories in history and turns it into an hackneyed third-rate fictional soap opera. Poorly written, acted and directed it represents the worst of major Hollywood film making.
2 of 10 users found this helpful
StephenB.Dec 26, 2008
Mr. Cameron started his career by establishing himself as a great science-fiction writer/director, able to simultaneously be exciting and smart. He delievered on that promise with the two "Terminator" films and the completely awesome Mr. Cameron started his career by establishing himself as a great science-fiction writer/director, able to simultaneously be exciting and smart. He delievered on that promise with the two "Terminator" films and the completely awesome "Aliens". In fact, in some jurisdictions, not liking "Aliens" is considered a criminal act. However, having proved his talent at greatness, he decided to switch gears and try sucking for a change. And so we have... this... abomination. Gone are the great writing and pacing that anchored his previous sci-fi outings, instead replaced with a laughable script, incessant repetition and miscasting galore. There are no characters, just cardboard cutouts. The historic mistakes are mind-boggling. Even composer James Horner turns in a huge pile of cliched, faux-"romantic" gloop, all the more travesty if you remember he did the rousing score of "Aliens". Yes, the SFX is good and probably the only part of the film I will ever find anything positive to say. I have no idea why the director abandoned the niche he was most successful in for another where he fails. The final impression: "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit". Expand
LawrenceY.Dec 29, 2008
If you like disaster films, this is the film for you. But if you dont like to see love in a disaster film, just leave this one alone.
0 of 3 users found this helpful
MariofanMar 17, 2015
This movie generally sucked. It is the most overrated movie of all time next to Frozen, Toy Story 3 and The Social Network. The script, acting, love story and characters are all complete garbage. The visuals and Titanic sinking part are kindaThis movie generally sucked. It is the most overrated movie of all time next to Frozen, Toy Story 3 and The Social Network. The script, acting, love story and characters are all complete garbage. The visuals and Titanic sinking part are kinda cool though. Stay away from this movie. And why did it win 11 oscars?! Expand
ChrisB.Jul 5, 2007
Worst movie ever made. Were it not for Kate Winslet being naked for a couple of minutes, I'd have gouged my eyes out. There probably would have been a class-action lawsuit against James Cameron because his movie caused blindness due to Worst movie ever made. Were it not for Kate Winslet being naked for a couple of minutes, I'd have gouged my eyes out. There probably would have been a class-action lawsuit against James Cameron because his movie caused blindness due to eye-gouging had Kate Winslet not been naked. It's a bullshit romance. Go watch Rambo or something if you want to see a real movie. You know, one where there's no character development and shit gets blown up because it's awesome. Expand
1 of 7 users found this helpful
JamsB.Jun 24, 2008
I would have given it about a 5 as it is an average try-hard hollywood blockbuster but the fact that you see Kate Winslet's horrible naked body makes it a zero.
1 of 9 users found this helpful
TSJul 26, 2009
Along with Braveheart and Forrest Gump, one of the worst Oscar winners of all time. Pure turgid drivel. A chick flick for the mentally defective.
2 of 15 users found this helpful
GaborA.Feb 17, 2004
Remains at the top of my refuse to see list.
0 of 5 users found this helpful
RobertDec 26, 2002
Quite possibly one of the most boring, overblown, overlong movies I have ever seen in my life. The movie simply was not interesting at all, and it ran far too long. 3 hour running times are fine if there is actually an interesting plot, but Quite possibly one of the most boring, overblown, overlong movies I have ever seen in my life. The movie simply was not interesting at all, and it ran far too long. 3 hour running times are fine if there is actually an interesting plot, but this was just horribly boring. Expand
0 of 2 users found this helpful
DravenatorLivesAug 30, 2011
James, James, James. Why did you have to be the one to direct this **** on the face of America. Titanic is a romanticisation of the Titanic tragedy. Kate and Leo do a relatively good job acting, but that's because they're the only thingJames, James, James. Why did you have to be the one to direct this **** on the face of America. Titanic is a romanticisation of the Titanic tragedy. Kate and Leo do a relatively good job acting, but that's because they're the only thing saving the movie from sinking on the review charts like the Titanic. I mean, I respect James and all, but this movie was the god-damn black sheep of them. Expand
titanicsucksJul 21, 2016
I once watched a trailer for titanic it was the most autistic gay piece of crap movie trailer there for the movie sucks i repeat the movie sucks. Also all of You haters who say i can not write a review on a movie i have not seen screw you toI once watched a trailer for titanic it was the most autistic gay piece of crap movie trailer there for the movie sucks i repeat the movie sucks. Also all of You haters who say i can not write a review on a movie i have not seen screw you to hell because titanic is crap. 0/10 Expand