7.9

1. Apr 23, 2013
    While not the most talentless director, Terrance Malick is definitely the most self absorbed, telling stories he and only he wants to tell and more importantly hear. The tales he weaves are so personal that hardly anyone can interpret them and that's exactly what you have to do despite the fact to do so requires the enigma machine. The film follows a man (Ben Affleck) and woman (OlgaWhile not the most talentless director, Terrance Malick is definitely the most self absorbed, telling stories he and only he wants to tell and more importantly hear. The tales he weaves are so personal that hardly anyone can interpret them and that's exactly what you have to do despite the fact to do so requires the enigma machine. The film follows a man (Ben Affleck) and woman (Olga Kurylenko) who contemplate love, loss, religion and forgiveness as the man reconnects with a past flame (Rachel McAdams) and the woman longs to find a place she can call home. My main problem with to the wonder lies in the fact that the film is plot free, there is no story here to tell and because of this the film is terribly dull, a monotonous journey through passing thoughts and the moments between the interesting things that happen in a persons life. The film lives in a world so disconnected from the one its pretending to live in, the characters are drained of all emotion, any semblance of character or purpose, they merely exist in a place where nothing at all happens. Malick, like with Tree of Life doesn't care so much about character (if at all) but in themes and messages. To the Wonder has plenty to say in terms of themes and messages but no way for anyone to read it, watching it isn't enough unfortunately. These characters ponder philosophy as part of their own inner monologues but without any human emotion behind it they just sound half cut, as if the bartender forgot to say enough is enough. These people are constantly in their own heads and as a human action its fine, but as characters in a movie they never say a meaningful spoken word and I argue they never say a single meaningful thing in the psychobabble that accompanies their depressingly pitiful existences. The film depicts a couple so broken that everyone leaves them but you never feel sorry for them because the characters Malick depicts are dreadful, reprehensible people. I'd comment on the acting but none was really required as if Malick just told his stars to wander and gosh darn think about something poignant, it's just too bad we couldn't see what they were thinking about. To the Wonder is Malick's worst film to date yet arguably his most personal, however if this is his idea of personal I'd rather he try to stay out of his own head and try to emulate someone else. Expand
  2. Jun 30, 2015
    I usually like Terrence Malick's flicks, but not this one. His story narrations are always aims more on the action (not stunts) than the talkings. Besides, spectacular visuals are highlights and his trademark, and again, not in this film. He really tried, but it was so boring movie in the recent time I have seen one. Pardon me to mock him, but I had to say that the film looks like the oneI usually like Terrence Malick's flicks, but not this one. His story narrations are always aims more on the action (not stunts) than the talkings. Besides, spectacular visuals are highlights and his trademark, and again, not in this film. He really tried, but it was so boring movie in the recent time I have seen one. Pardon me to mock him, but I had to say that the film looks like the one what Willem Dafoe trying to make one in 'Mr. Bean's Holiday'. Except here with me there is no Mr Rowan Atkinson/Bean to make the film an exciting with his genuine editings to add some fun stuffs. Sorry, it goes straight to my 'I should have not watched it' list.

2.5/10
  3. Nov 19, 2014
    20 minutes into the movie I was wondering when exactly it is going to actually start... 40 minutes into the movie I was wondering the same thing. The plot can be scripted with 2 sentences and took nearly an hour to develop. It was uninteresting, I didn't feel any emotional attachment what so ever, and I couldn't find any reason to continue torture myself... This is one boring, boring20 minutes into the movie I was wondering when exactly it is going to actually start... 40 minutes into the movie I was wondering the same thing. The plot can be scripted with 2 sentences and took nearly an hour to develop. It was uninteresting, I didn't feel any emotional attachment what so ever, and I couldn't find any reason to continue torture myself... This is one boring, boring movie. 3 out of 10 for the cast appearing. Expand
  4. Jun 1, 2014
    Malick is undoubtedly a brilliant director, who has achieved much success from previous films. But, the mediocre story line and monotonous performance has truly reflected upon it's predecessor, The Tree of Life and has proven Malick's incapability to cope with what the young audience wants, especially those who demand fertile romances.
  5. Jul 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I wonder why so many people seem to like this film. Yes, it is
    different. Affleck hardly has any lines and the lines that he (or Olga)
    have are fragmented and in my opinion pretentious prose. When Javier
    Bardem entered after about half an hour I hoped that the film would
    finally take off. The wonder they refer to must be that anyone would
    sit this out. I was about the 10th person that left, in a small cinema
    of about 150 seats.
  6. Apr 17, 2013
    Pretentious and boring rumination on love, life and religion featuring beautiful but cliched cinematography and characters whose mundane and largely silent existence fails to hold your interest for the film's excruciating two hour running time.
  7. Apr 27, 2013
    I enjoyed Malick's "Thin Red Line" due in large part to an amazing performance by Nick Nolte. But "To the Wonder" has to be one of the most boring movies I can remember watching. Painfully slow and repetitive.
  8. Jun 10, 2013
    HORRIBLE! This is the worst movie that I've watched in my 47 years on this earth. EVERYONE; actors, directors, producers, grips, EVERONE involved in this movie should never be allowed to participate again! This is the WORST movie I've suffered through in my life! Please save your money. Don't even consider it!
  9. Jan 29, 2014
    A waste of two hours. There is no real dialogue but there is a lot of background noise and some pretentious inspirational thoughts. Some nice scenery though.

1. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    May 2, 2013
    The movie is intentionally elusive, like a memory you can’t quite fully recall, but the result has all the depth and weight of a greeting card.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Apr 26, 2013
    Is Malick deliberately courting self-parody here? Probably not. That would imply he had a sense of humor.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Apr 25, 2013
    Affleck has two expressions, a smirk and a scowl. Bardem never changes expression at all: Whatever he’s saying comes out with a dispassionate, hangdog glumness. Perhaps he watched the daily rushes once too often.