Towelhead

6.5

1. JenniferK
    Jan 6, 2010
    Funny, sad, disgusting, rivetting, nauseating, feel-good movie- Summer Bashil is definitely the star of the movie- One of the best movies I have seen in a long time- at times I didn't know wheter to vomit, cry shout or laugh- some consider this movie to be an unrealistic after school special on the dangers of inappropriate touching, for me the movie seemed very real-to-life.
  2. Joan
    Oct 1, 2008
    I did sense the germ of an important story in this film; however, as a big fan of Alan Ball's 6 FEET UNDER, I was shocked at the poor writing in this film. Although the lines were spoken by a strong ensemble of actors, I felt as if I was watching a first-time student film...very disappointed.
  3. JanS.
    Jan 12, 2009
    I found this disturbing in a unsettling feeling of discust for the making of a sex abuse issue a pretty thing. I found it boring, way too long and should have not gotten the ratings it did.
  4. BrandenR.
    Jan 27, 2009
    Why was this movie made? It had no redeeming qualities in it.
  5. Dale
    Aug 12, 2009
    The film is artless, harsh, an stripped of any mystery. The performances are good, and Summer Bishi is highly promising. I'm glad I saw it just to see her fine work.
  6. JoeZ.
    Sep 19, 2008
    This filmed is loaded with so much emotional content that you will cringe watching it. Rarely does a film move you in your seat so often.
  7. LindaN
    Jan 10, 2009
    This is less of a comedy than you might think based on the previews, but a great story. Aaron Eckhart and the guy who plays the dad give fantastic performances. The girl's somewhat complex behavior rang true to me.
  8. SeanF.
    Jan 1, 2009
    I would have given this a ten, but some of the content seems a little over the top. If you like movies like Happiness or American Beauty, this movie will not disappoint.
  9. JH
    Feb 3, 2009
    This is an important and entertaining movie that involves some very unsettling issues. Although the main character has a Middle Eastern background, that particular fact is not the crux of the matter. This movie is really about teenage sexuality, and it is certain to disturb almost everyone to some degree. All you have to do is look at the negative reviews to see how much some people were This is an important and entertaining movie that involves some very unsettling issues. Although the main character has a Middle Eastern background, that particular fact is not the crux of the matter. This movie is really about teenage sexuality, and it is certain to disturb almost everyone to some degree. All you have to do is look at the negative reviews to see how much some people were offended. Despite all that, this is a very good movie that should be viewed and seriously contemplated. I encourage you to watch it, and before you judge harshly, think back to your own adolescence and ask yourself, "is this movie an accurate and authentic depiction of teenage sexuality?" I think Alan Ball is courageous for making this movie, and I think that it is authentic to a degree that will make most religious people hopping mad. Expand
  10. JayH.
    Dec 23, 2008
    This movie tackles some pretty heavy subject matters, and pulls it off quite professionally. Very well acted by everyone in the cast. I never lost interest, fine direction. The score is a bit routine though.
  11. RichardB.
    Sep 13, 2008
    This movie pulls no punches. Summer Bishil is and amazing actress. This will be one of the best of the year.
  12. BartJ.
    Sep 17, 2008
    Done before, but without the gratuitious smut.
  13. SM
    Jan 25, 2009
    Although a real drama, it is definitely worth watching.

1. Reviewed by: Zack Haddad
    Racism, teen sex, and war are all hot button issues. When you are a young person these things can seem new and confusing. In Alan Ball’s genius Towelhead, all of those above mentioned subjects go hand-in-hand in a truly wonderful cinematic experience.
    Ball may not have the answers but he eloquently and forcefully explores some of the potential ramifications. The ending may be too pat, but the journey to get there - bitter, spicy, and poignant - more than compensates for any last-minute fumbles.
  3. The film is superbly acted (especially by Macdissi, who makes the father a borderline hysteric), but it's hard to know what to feel except, "How can any girl navigate this oversexualized culture?"