Buena Vista Pictures | Release Date: November 22, 1995
9.0
Universal acclaim based on 809 Ratings
WATCH NOW
EpicLadySpongeDec 28, 2015
If you want a decent time consuming movie, this one's it. History was made during the release of the movie and it'll forever be part of history and one of the best animated movies of all time.
MovieGuysSep 19, 2013
You have to suspend disbelief with the Toy Story movies, but that doesn't mean that they're justified. To me, these movies have never been that good. I've never found the appeal that the majority of people have found with them. Call me crazy,You have to suspend disbelief with the Toy Story movies, but that doesn't mean that they're justified. To me, these movies have never been that good. I've never found the appeal that the majority of people have found with them. Call me crazy, but they just aren't that fun or acceptable as kids movies, or any genre for that matter. Expand
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
Innocent, beautiful, and revolutionary, "Toy Story" is the personified existence of the virtuous animated family film.
beingryanjudeAug 27, 2014
A vision. Toy Story is the most profound animated film of the modern era. To have this much depth of story in a "children's" movie is astounding. This one isn't just for the kids, I assure you.
grandpajoe6191Sep 15, 2011
Pertaining everything from story depth to animation, Pixar has created a movie that is considered a true cinematic masterpiece; the movie of my life. Cheers Pixar!!!
lukechristianscMar 14, 2014
i think toy story 2 is better then the first one . theres nothing to compare with toy story and the sequel . the only thing i enjoy about this is there trying to save woody and buzz from sid .
imthenoobNov 22, 2012
Hands down one of the greatest animated films of all time and a must see for any fan of animated films. Toy Story is simply one of those films that is untouchable.
ydnar4Feb 7, 2015
You'll have a hard time finding another animated film that could surpass Toy Story. One of the most innovative and inspirational films of all time without a doubt. Toy Story started the computer animation revolution and there is a lot ofYou'll have a hard time finding another animated film that could surpass Toy Story. One of the most innovative and inspirational films of all time without a doubt. Toy Story started the computer animation revolution and there is a lot of substance in this film. This is one of the best films for children of all time, if not the best. Woody and Buzz are larger than life characters that will never be forgotten and will continue to be introduced to generations of children. Tom Hanks and Tim Allen were great and there are no other actors that could voice these characters after what they have done with them. Expand
TokyochuchuFeb 2, 2014
Pixar's debut movie is still a very nice animated adventure. That said, both the animation style and thematic content has been bettered by the company. Toy Story is still great, any way you slice it.
CineAutoctonoJul 21, 2015
It really has been a new version of the animated film , first computer animated feature film and the first of PIXAR , especially toys have come first and are here to stay .
ZilcellNov 10, 2011
This is the film that started all computer-animated films. This film has an extremely big impact on the film industry because of the animation, but that is not all. The story is interesting and well written. The characters Woody and BuzzThis is the film that started all computer-animated films. This film has an extremely big impact on the film industry because of the animation, but that is not all. The story is interesting and well written. The characters Woody and Buzz Lightyear are what makes it the most interesting. Expand
FranzHcriticOct 31, 2013
I grew up with this movie as it aired on TV. It always has it's heart, it's comical aspects, and a delightful set of voices, especially that of a two-time Oscar winner like Tom Hanks. The scene of Sid was written brilliantly, and still makesI grew up with this movie as it aired on TV. It always has it's heart, it's comical aspects, and a delightful set of voices, especially that of a two-time Oscar winner like Tom Hanks. The scene of Sid was written brilliantly, and still makes me laugh today. Heartfelt, warm, and surprisingly has a small portion of what most animation have: hammy dialogue. The innovation of CGI does not deter the story's elements. I'll always love this movie. Expand
MovieLonely94Oct 28, 2010
My favorite CGI movie of all time.
heyitsmegrif4Jan 16, 2012
Original and just lovely. Toy Story is a fantastic film that will entertain many from any age alike. And it is just a great start to Pixar's full length films. I give this movie 98%.
StevenFApr 5, 2013
Nothing could make you reminisce and miss your childhood more than brilliant, emotional and groundbreaking integrity of Pixar's and the worlds first animated feature-lengh film.
The film tells the story of a group of toys owned by young boy
The film tells the story of a group of toys owned by young boy Andy, who do what every child in this universe, past and present, has probably ever dreamed of, come to life.
Of course this happens when the child isn't around, but thats what makes it that more imaginative, that we are never really sure if Pixar are trying to tell a true tale in the film, or if it is all an imagination of something else within the movie.
The prized toy of the bunch is a sheriff cowboy, Woody (Tom Hanks), who is the leader of a pack without any competition, that is until a birthday party when brand new toy Buzz Lightyear (Tim Allen) is introduced to the fold, quickly winning the hearts and attention of the other toys, much to Woody's dismay.
As Woody plots to remove Buzz from the picture, things soon spiral out of control for the toys as they are put out to the cold and must attempt to find a way back to their owner before he moves house.
The famous friendship begins here between Buzz and Woody that has stood the test of time, they deal with issues that surround us homosapiens in general, whether it be family or friendship, and how we must work through no matter what difficulties face us.
For a film that is now in its eighteenth year of existence, it is truly a gem that has stood the test of time, and has remained in the psyche and deepest crevices of each and every person who has had the pleasure to watch it, visually stunning and emotionally grounded to the point of it being such a classic film.
The actors behind the voices do a remarkable job of bringing the characters to life, but of course without the genius of Pixar, we would not have the brilliant and unique films that have followed suit, with Toy Story starting the rollercoaster of original thought and striking beauty.
Again, it subtly deals with issues that we ourselves often deal with in our everyday lives, but incorporates a point in life where we really do miss our childhood, and with the unfortunate realisation that we will one day grow up, however Toy Story makes us realise that we don't always have to leave all of our childish antics behind us, and a brilliant message of letting our imagination run free without barriers.
A truly remarkable, groundbreaking and often genius film that will continue to stand the test of time for all the right reasons, truly wonderful and timeless.
homer4presidentMar 11, 2015
20 years later, Toy Story remains the classic that it is and shall always be. Great story, great acting tunes by Randy Newman that enhance and move the story along.
FuturedirectorMar 20, 2016
Toy Story shows an inventive and pretty plot and unforgettable characters for enjoy the first animated film ever, with a giant succes. It is also colored and full of suspense. Fans of Pixar will love this film, obviously.
Movie1997Dec 21, 2013
This is my childhood right here! It's a visually stunning and entertaining computer generated adventure. I never knew why I loved it so much as kid, but now I realize that these characters and the story has really connected to my life in suchThis is my childhood right here! It's a visually stunning and entertaining computer generated adventure. I never knew why I loved it so much as kid, but now I realize that these characters and the story has really connected to my life in such a way! Overall, not only a touching movie, but a tremendous kid-friendly good old classic Pixar film. It deserves an A+! Expand
diogomendesDec 5, 2014
Its sequel is definitely an improvement, but "Toy Story" still engages the audience, thanks to its expertly written story, some top-notch vocal cast and pretty nice computer animation.
OfficialNov 3, 2013
"Toy Story" is an excellent movie. Anyone who says otherwise are kidding themselves. The computer animation is fantastic, and along with a great storyline, it creates a visually stunning nicely-paced adventure.
drlowdonDec 24, 2013
The animation may now be slightly dated compared to more modern efforts but Toy Story is one of very few movies than can claim to have truly changed cinema and arguably still remains Disney Pixar's finest hour. Intelligent and funny you'dThe animation may now be slightly dated compared to more modern efforts but Toy Story is one of very few movies than can claim to have truly changed cinema and arguably still remains Disney Pixar's finest hour. Intelligent and funny you'd have to have a heart of stone not to enjoy this movie. Expand
MrMovieBuffMar 18, 2015
It's funny how 20 years ago, Pixar Animation Studios released their first full-length feature film...and 20 years later, this film holds up pretty well.

'Toy Story' focuses on a cowboy doll named Woody (voiced by Tom Hanks) who becomes jealous when his owner, a little boy named Andy, gets a new toy for his birthday. He gets a new astronaut toy named Buzz Lightyear (Tim Allen) and there is huge conflict between the two characters.

'Toy Story' is also famous for bringing in full-length feature 3D animated films, this kind of animation allows us to see details and texture on any object or person. With the toys, for example, because they are plastic, we see the light reflecting off the toys and even today, that still looks amazing. Now, we have seen this kind of animation in most animated films today including; 'Shrek' (2001), 'Ice Age' (2002), 'Happy Feet' (2006), 'How to Train Your Dragon' (2010), 'Wreck-It Ralph' (2012), 'Frozen' (2013) and even 'Big Hero 6' (2014).

I guess the secret to the innovative story behind this movie is because the writer and director John Lasseter, is basically a big child trapped in a grown man's body. He is able to see through the eyes of a child, almost as if this movie is being told from a child's point of view. This movie really reaches into your inner childhood simply because it's all about using your imagination which we all did when we were young.

Overall, 'Toy Story' is a classic movie for the ages.
RayzorMooseNov 12, 2013
Toy Story is a heart warming animated tale.
An animated masterpiece that will bring smiles to all ages with lovable characters and unprecedented realism.
RikiegeJan 30, 2013
This film is a masterpiece that has long wanted to pass the follow.
MovieMasterEddyApr 6, 2016
'Toy Story': From Plastic to Fantastic!

'Toy Story': From Plastic to Fantastic!

The Nutcracker Prince, Pooh, the Velveteen Rabbit: Toys, as every kid knows, come to life when you're not looking. It is a fundamental of childhood, a notion that is sent up and oh-so-joyously celebrated in the irreverent, ingenious "Toy Story."

Though computer-animated rather than hand-drawn, this wry, rippingly paced buddy movie is as delightful in its own way as any of Walt Disney's traditional fairy tales. In fact, it's a nice change of pace to see the studio draw magic from this modern tale about ordinary 20th-century kid Andy and his eager-to-please playthings.

Conceived and directed by John Lasseter (a pioneer of compu-tooning), the picture offers an eye-popping parade of 3-D-seeming anthropomorphs, but it also has enormous humanity and heart. Lasseter, who brought a baby lamp uncannily to life in the 1986 short "Luxo Jr.," here even more convincingly awakens hambone piggy banks and sly slinky toys.

Of course, all the digital gimmickry would count for nothing were it not for the zany and zealous vocal cast, headlined by Tom Hanks as Woody, a traditional pull-string talking cowboy whose position as 6-year-old Andy's favorite toy is threatened by the arrival of a space action figure, Buzz Lightyear (voiced by Tim Allen).

Written by a quartet that includes Joss Whedon of "Speed," "Toy Story" has more in common with "Lethal Weapon" than classics like "Bambi," though kids who have been bumped from center stage by new siblings will readily identify with Woody's guilt and fears. They'll probably even relate when Woody accidentally knocks the studly Buzz out Andy's bedroom window.

The other toys-even Woody's pliant sidekick, Slinky Dog (voiced by Jim Varney)-suspect foul play. When Mr. Potato Head (voiced by Don Rickles), the spud who overheard the thud, flat-out accuses Woody of plasticide, the gangly cowpoke must redeem himself by bringing Buzz back home. This would be easier if the bull-headed action guy weren't suffering from the delusion that he really is an astronaut sent to save the world from the evil Emperor Zurg. Nevertheless, the boy toys bond as they make their way through a series of scary adventures.

The simple story is enlivened by the distinctive personalities of the toys, especially the irascible tater head, the supportive Bo Peep lamp (voiced by Annie Potts) and a neurotic plastic dinosaur (voiced by Wallace Shawn): "I'm going for fearsome here, but I don't feel it," worries the timorous T-Rex. "I'm worried it just comes off as annoying."

When it comes to Andy's toys, failure is not an option, for they think of themselves as entertainment professionals. They even have regular staff meetings with flow charts and inspirational speeches. This mind-set and a multitude of cheeky inside jokes-no bad words in front of preschool toys-will keep adults entertained while the dazzling derring-do of the toy toons will keep the youngsters enchanted. Toyland was never like this.
FreedomFightersNov 24, 2016
I'm sure it doesn't really have to be said at this point, but "Toy Story" set a landmark for CGI-animated films and, all in all, it's still a tremendous film 21 years later. With a wonderful story, brilliant characters, plenty of charm,I'm sure it doesn't really have to be said at this point, but "Toy Story" set a landmark for CGI-animated films and, all in all, it's still a tremendous film 21 years later. With a wonderful story, brilliant characters, plenty of charm, heart, humor, and animation that still holds up nicely to this day, "Toy Story" is still one of the best films animation has to offer, and it's Pixar at their finest. If you haven't seen this film yet, well, what are you waiting for? Watch it now! Expand
DanBurritoSep 10, 2015
Toy Story is nothing short of amazing. It's a kid's movie but there are a lot of extremely subtle adult jokes that are guaranteed to fly over kids' heads but will keep adults entertained (for example, one character is shown at a pretend teaToy Story is nothing short of amazing. It's a kid's movie but there are a lot of extremely subtle adult jokes that are guaranteed to fly over kids' heads but will keep adults entertained (for example, one character is shown at a pretend tea party and he acts all drunk.) Reviewers might find Woody "unlike able" but they're missing the point. Woody isn't mean, he's complex. He can be a bit of a control freak sometimes and doesn't always make the best decisions but in his own way, he's a likeable character. Buzz Lightyear is a great character too. This movie is a timeless classic that I recommend to all ages. Expand
MovieManiac83Apr 24, 2015
Ever wonder how toys apparently get from one place to another with no human help? Toy Story, Disney's first feature-length foray into computer animation, postulates that they do it all by themselves. Toys have their own magical world whichEver wonder how toys apparently get from one place to another with no human help? Toy Story, Disney's first feature-length foray into computer animation, postulates that they do it all by themselves. Toys have their own magical world which comes to life any time the lights are out or people aren't around. Any who doubt this should take a look at Toy Story. You'll never again feel quite the same way about Mr. Potato Head, Monkeys in a Barrel, or Slinkies.

Of course, the visual aspect is the centerpiece of Toy Story. The computer-generated effects are a marvel. Rich in unexpected detail (the grain of a wood floor, fingerprints and chipped paint on a door, reflections in polished surfaces, and so on...), this colorful and brilliantly-rendered aspect of the film would alone be worth the price of admission. It's something of a bonus that the characters, dialogue, and story provide entertainment value of their own.

Toy Story is a buddy movie/adventure tale with an understated lesson about the value of friendship. Parents might also be able to use some of what transpires to encourage their offspring to put away toys after playtime. While the screenplay isn't a marvel of originality, it is capable of holding the attention - light, undemanding fun that never gets too immature or syrupy. There's also quite a bit of intelligent wit that will go above the heads of younger viewers - that stuff's for Mom and Dad.

How does Toy Story compare to Disney's more conventional animated features? They're really very different types of productions. This film is less artistic and more technologically impressive. Despite a few Randy Newman songs, it's not really a musical. Of course, the target audience is the same, and everything from Disney embraces "family values", but it's difficult - and unfair - to make an effective contrast of the two film making styles.

The one big negative about Toy Story involves Disney's overcommercialization. Already, Woody and Buzz dolls line store shelves. Burger King is coming out with figurines. It won't be long before the movie is drowned in hype. So, from the perspective of pure entertainment, it's a good idea to see Toy Story before the deluge of promotions becomes so excessive that it turns off every adult. Frankly, the movie deserves a less ignominious fate than the marketing overkill which will surely overcome it.
gameguardian21Mar 24, 2016
Just as you age into an adult, you often forget how toys meant to you. But with this movie, it got us thinking not just about toys, but what pixar could do to deliver a great story with some humor and a lesson learned.
gm101Apr 7, 2011
Spectacular masterpiece that made Pixar famous, revolutionized movies the same way Star Wars did, and introduced people to one of the best trilogies ever!
BarneyOnMTJan 5, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: Who knew a story about some talking toys could be so great? 'Toy Story' excells thanks to it's humour and tone - aided by it's quirky mix of animated characters
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It's a little silly and bears little sway in
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It's a little silly and bears little sway in terms of interesting plot or themes for adults to enjoy beyond the sheer fun factor
VERDICT: Pixar's first was definitely a success to which all their future films grew. A fun tale with great characters.
CritiqueGirlMar 4, 2011
Excellent family movie. Original story and great animation.
MichaelDJan 4, 2011
A great movie for everybody. Not my favourite movie but it deserves a ten.
geo333Feb 20, 2016
Toy Story is one of Pixar best films if not the best from animation to wonderful funny dialogue scenes. In the end Toy Story is fantastic that to this day remains of the best classics.
shiftworkerAug 22, 2016
Sibling rivalry in the toy box plus kids growing too old for their favourite toys. Awww. Easily the best of the franchise to date. As I'm firmly in the sadly neglected pile of life's debris myself these days, I find Toy Story has soemSibling rivalry in the toy box plus kids growing too old for their favourite toys. Awww. Easily the best of the franchise to date. As I'm firmly in the sadly neglected pile of life's debris myself these days, I find Toy Story has soem poignant parallels with my own pathetic existence, but it doesn't spoil my enjoyment of this gem. Expand
jeff_reviewsJul 4, 2013
The first CG animated film, "Toy Story" is still one of the best. While most kid movies deal with the difficulty to appeal to adults, "Toy Story" proves that a movie even about toys can appeal to adults as much as children. The animationThe first CG animated film, "Toy Story" is still one of the best. While most kid movies deal with the difficulty to appeal to adults, "Toy Story" proves that a movie even about toys can appeal to adults as much as children. The animation might not hold up to the finest today, but the storytelling does. With such originality, "Toy Story" is a delightful story. Expand
MonkiReviewsMay 28, 2017
I enjoyed this movie a lot. It proves animated movies can be amazing. It was truly fantastic. The characters and story are truly amazing and will never be forgotten.
aaronpaul121May 23, 2012
This is an amazing film. I just love everything about it and I love the fact that I can connect to the message the movie wants to perceive to us. This is the perfect start to an incredible series of stories between Andy and his toys....
SythusRATINGSOct 19, 2014
In the first full-length computer-animated movie, a little boy's toys are thrown into chaos when a new Space Ranger arrives to vie for supremacy with the boy's favorite, an old wooden cowboy.
YellowKirbySep 9, 2015
Toy Story is a fantastic movie with witty jokes, good characters, a great story... my favourite movie of all time! It's basically the definition of a perfect movie.
teddylukeApr 6, 2015
toy story is a good film to start off Pixar movies. it has good charters and a good story. it's a good film in every way it's just a fun movie and it's just for kids.
lovemusicMay 20, 2011
I LOVE THIS MOVIE SO MUCH. ITS MY FAVORITE MOVIE OF ALL TIME. I WAS WONDERFUL AND FUNNY AND GLORIOUS. TOY STORY is a classic. Woody and Buzz Lightyear will always be remembered. Pixar's best movie ever.
PaxsterOct 19, 2010
How such a simple children's film can have a profound effect on the world. It brings both the child and the adult together to create the ultimate universal film we can all relate to. It's touching,witty and masterful.
MonsieurEamesJan 23, 2013
An absolute masterpiece that defines my childhood. There is nothing wrong with Toy Story. This movie, undoubtedly, has changed the way animation is forever.
GagaForGhibliMay 28, 2012
This Is A Cute Movie But..
This Is A Toal Rip Off Of The Underated Animated Movie The Brave Little Toaster'
To Be 100% Honest This Movie Never Did Any Thing For Me And Still Doesent... But This Movie Has Some Good Values For Kids... Very
This Is A Cute Movie But..
To Be 100% Honest This Movie Never Did Any Thing For Me And Still Doesent...
But This Movie Has Some Good Values For Kids...
Very Overated Movie!
reviewfrom19842Oct 5, 2016
An amazing movie. With charters that are likeable and fun to watch. It's my less favorite toy story movie but it's still amazing movie................
potatoes351Feb 17, 2013
Toy Story was the first Pixar film to grace the big screen and easily one of the best animated films of all time. Toy Story brings the concept of 'What do toys do when we aren't around?' to life. The film follows a small group of toysToy Story was the first Pixar film to grace the big screen and easily one of the best animated films of all time. Toy Story brings the concept of 'What do toys do when we aren't around?' to life. The film follows a small group of toys belonging to a young boy named Andy in suburban America in what is probably the late 90's or early 00's. His favourite toy, Woody the Sheriff is the leader of the toys including ones such as Slinky the Dog, Rex the Dinosaur, Little Bo Peep, Ham the piggybank and Mr Potato Head. But when Andy receives a new toy for his birthday, Buzz Lightyear, Woody feels threatened that his position as Andy's favourite toy and as the leader of the toys may be in jeopardy. As such he decides to get rid of Buzz, however in doing so he realises that what he has done is wrong and must do whatever he can to get Buzz back safe and sound before Andy moves house.
Each character is unique and has something to give to the overall film, each one is funny and well designed both emotionally and aesthetically. The animation and sound design is also top notch. There is very little that can be seen as bad in Toy Story however it does seem to move at a rather slow pace for the entirety of the film, but this is nothing bad considering that this is the start of a very promising series of films.
superbatJul 18, 2016
One of the best animated films to date. The characters were awesome, it had a great storyline. This was the truly the beginning of Pixar. It's fun for the whole family.
joao1198pedroOct 31, 2013
the first disney pixar film is still one of the best animation movies ever made,i grow up watching this terrific movie wich deserves a very big medal.
ThatCooperGuyAug 26, 2015
The writing is pretty solid stuff and the film score is great(not much can be said about Randy Newman's singing). However, the humans look like garbage, the animations on the toys' faces can be dull, and a lot of the environments can lookThe writing is pretty solid stuff and the film score is great(not much can be said about Randy Newman's singing). However, the humans look like garbage, the animations on the toys' faces can be dull, and a lot of the environments can look pretty ugly.
It appears 20 years has started to age this film pretty badly... Oh what the hell, I can't hate this movie, it's **** TOY STORY. It's been part of my life since I was born and I still love it. Is it flawed? Oh, hell yeah it is, but I still love it to death. It is probably the first ever movie I will literally love until my death. No wonder I still give it a perfect 10/10, nostalgia is not letting this film die on me.
skyminsterFeb 12, 2012
oh i love this film, it's a pure classic! it has a great storyline, really funny moments, it's one of the best films ever, if anyone doesn't like it, there probably being bias, it isn't just for kids.
JawsLaxerDramaDec 22, 2012
A truly, truly great movie. A masterpiece!! All I can say, is "wow, just wow." A brilliant movie for children, teens, and adults. Toy Story deserves every award it has ever earned.
DBPirate1129Jan 11, 2015
A hilarious and amazing film that begins PIXAR's epic reign as part of Disney. Spectacular casting and acting, great visuals, and an unforgettable adventure make this one of the best Disney movies of all time.
WriteFilmLive21Dec 6, 2012
Where to begin? "Toy Story" is a film beyond infinity. It launched the now mega-popular CGI film genre, Pixar as a groundbreaking studio, and it made movie history as the first computer-animated movie ever made. I personally cannot say enoughWhere to begin? "Toy Story" is a film beyond infinity. It launched the now mega-popular CGI film genre, Pixar as a groundbreaking studio, and it made movie history as the first computer-animated movie ever made. I personally cannot say enough good things about Pixar - they are the smartest and most creative movie studio out there today. And every bit of genius that makes them who they are shows up here in their debut classic.

"Toy Story" follows a host of toys owned and loved by a kid named Andy, and they are nervous about them becoming replaced since his birthday party is around the corner. Woody, Andy's favorite toy, assures confidence, but in fact he's replaced himself by the all-new Buzz Lightyear space action figure. His competition against the disillusioned newcomer, who believes himself to be a real space ranger, accidentally separates them from Andy, and thus follows a hilarious buddy misadventure.

Pixar's genius here, and in all of their movies, is that they don't talk down to kids. Their movies handle serious issues everyone can relate to, and "Toy Story" is no exception. Underneath the colorful animation and lighthearted humor, we have two solid and genuine characters - one of which goes through a disheartening identity crisis before discovering the value in who they really are, and one who deep down is confronting a fear of being forgotten in the wave of new and flashy. It's a fantastic metaphor, and a beautifully-done film, and should live on for decades to come as a true milestone in cinema.
FilmClubMar 27, 2016

Actually the brainchild of Pixar — the Northern California animation unit that made the Oscar short “Tin Toy”– the film is a modern parable that effortlessly masks its serious side with a funhouse full of colorful characters and thrilling adventures. But the message and nobility of the effort are unmistakable and laudable. The film is a clever mix of simplicity and sophistication that cuts across all age barriers with essential themes.

The core story involves a group of toys owned by a boy named Andy. They spring to life to form a ragtag community when the human element departs the scene. This normalcy is interrupted only by birthdays and holidays, when there’s a likelihood that Andy will receive some new amusement that will have a negative impact on the existing harmony.

Woody, a cowboy marionette, has been the boy’s longtime, sentimental favorite. He takes a leadership role among his peers, which include a Slinky dog , a piggy bank, Rex the dinosaur, Bo Peep and Mr. Potato Head. Woody has weathered many special occasions and passing fancies and remains supremely confident of his station.

However, as the film opens, he’s put to the test with the arrival of Buzz Lightyear, a galactic superhero with an arsenal of flashy gadgets. The new resident is a gung-ho type with an annoyingly good nature and helpful attitude. The other toys like him and Woody is relegated to a secondary position in the boy’s attention.

Try as he may, the cowboy can’t curb his mounting jealousy and idle thoughts of making the spaceman disappear. When the opportunity arises to “accidentally” do Buzz in, Woody’s weak side prevails.

But it is a temporary lapse and not the character’s true nature. The others may be in a state of shock, but it’s his deep-felt sense of remorse that spurs Woody to set things right and propels the film into a series of misadventures.

What’s initially striking about “Toy Story” is its razzle-dazzle technique and unusual look. The camera loops and zooms in a dizzying fashion that fairly takes one’s breath away. But if the film were merely an exercise in style, it soon would become tiresome.

Rather, the filmmakers display and dispense with the most dazzling elements of computer-generated graphics and concentrate on telling an effective story. Edge-of-the-seat chases and action set pieces organically evolve from the story, not from some new piece of machinery back at the studio.

The film’s emotional qualities are almost haunting. Woody’s roller coaster of feelings is every bit as palpable as that of a live-action hero. And Buzz, despite an intrinsic decency, lives with the delusion that he’s flesh and blood. When he comes face to face with his true identity, the moment is extremely poignant.

“Toy Story’s” most stunning combination of visual and story elements involves the two central characters’ encounter with a band of mutant toys — the perverse creations of the mean kid next door. The message is the old chestnut about judging a book by its cover, and it rarely has been conveyed more effectively.

The filmmakers, led by director John Lasseter, have corralled a first-rate voice cast, with wonderful character turns from the likes of Wallace Shawn as a timorous T-Rex and Don Rickles as a gruff spud. Tom Hanks as Woody and Tim Allen as Buzz lend full-bodied performances to visually agile renderings. As with the best animation, the combination of tech elements serves to draw us into the drama rather than enforce the glass wall of fantasy.

To swipe Buzz’s motto –“To infinity and beyond”–“Toy Story” aims high to go where no animator has gone before. Fears at mission control of the whole effort crashing to Earth proved unwarranted; this is one entertainment that soars to new heights.
JawsPapi87Aug 11, 2011
Incredible groundbreaking-animation, fun action thrills, very funny voices and characters as real as any live-action film are what make this (first) Pixar effort a true masterpiece
AReviewsJun 22, 2013
"Toy Story" is great, cheer up film for the whole family. While Toy Story is very creative and entertaining, it is one of the best animated movies ever made.
CriticFerMay 21, 2016
Toy Story, the frist CGI animated movie nd the frist movie of Pixar, it's one of the most classic movies of all times. Yeah, the animatiom of the humans it's a little weird and Mr. Potato Head didn't say sorry for Woody, but the film don'tToy Story, the frist CGI animated movie nd the frist movie of Pixar, it's one of the most classic movies of all times. Yeah, the animatiom of the humans it's a little weird and Mr. Potato Head didn't say sorry for Woody, but the film don't focus in that, it focus in be a fantastic familiy film. Likr every one, i lovie it, evrn in this years. I love the animation, i love the characters, i love the music, i love that simpson comedy and i love the meesege who the film focus. In the actually, Toy Story is still a great film. Its a film who made a great and new generation for CGI films and open new doors for the cinema. Expand
FilmMasterEdJan 6, 2016
Disney's 1995 animated extravaganza came with a gimmick: this was the first ever full-length computer animated feature. In the wrong hands this could merely have been a novelty stretched to film length. In the more than capable digits ofDisney's 1995 animated extravaganza came with a gimmick: this was the first ever full-length computer animated feature. In the wrong hands this could merely have been a novelty stretched to film length. In the more than capable digits of computer wizards Pixar and director John Lasseter, however, the result is triumphant. A hilarious, original, terrifically entertaining movie refreshingly free of sentimentality and a resounding box office success both here and in the US.

The plot centres simply, and to enormous effect, around the concept that toys have a life of their own. Six-year-old Andy's favourite toy is Woody (superbly voiced by Hanks), a cowboy doll, who lords it over his plaything colleagues until the arrival of Buzz Lightyear (Allen), an arrogant "Space Ranger" action figure whose technological accoutrements and "impressive wing-span" quickly steal Andy's affections.

Apart from the growing jealousy, Woody and Buzz's relationship is hindered by the latter's conviction that he is a real superhero instead of a mass-produced plastic figure. It takes a string of mishaps that culminate in the pair becoming ensnared by next-door neighbour Sid - a pint-sized psycho who blows up toys for kicks - for them to bury their differences and escape back to their squeaky-clean extended family before an impending house move.

While the younger set can't fail to be entranced by all this, there are more than enough parent-pleasing moments on offer: a cripplingly funny Close Encounters pastiche; a finale guaranteed to cause fingernails dug into palms; and an undercurrent of innuendo-laced humour that'll go whizzing over the tots heads.

That's all before you consider the animation. Excepting some purposefully fake looking humans, no detail has been spared, from the kiss-curl on Buzz's chin down to the rain water meandering down the outside of a window. The result proves so breathtaking that two-dimensional cartoon fare will never seem the same again. Which offers further, glorious proof that movies aimed at junior cinemagoers are sometimes miles better than those directed at their adult counterparts.

Just perfect. Script, character, animation....this manages to break free of the yoke of 'children's movie' to simply be one of the best movies of the 90's, full-stop.
JarodyFeb 8, 2016
Toy story has many great points about it much to the please of many toy story fans. For example, it has one of Pixar's most original ideas as well as relatable. In addition, it had the most ground-breaking animation of the time. However,Toy story has many great points about it much to the please of many toy story fans. For example, it has one of Pixar's most original ideas as well as relatable. In addition, it had the most ground-breaking animation of the time. However, oblivious to some movie viewers, toy story has some problems. While the toys are amazingly animated, the humans are mediocre at best. As well, the main character, Woody, becomes extremely unlikeable through the film, despite him getting more likeable towards the end. Altogether, toy story is a good movie but as I didn't grow up with it its problems are more easy to notice. Expand
BoogeeFilmGuyJul 13, 2015
Anyone with a heart and a soul loves Toy Story. It was the first film to be completely made on computers, and it was nominated for best screenplay and it definitely deserves that nomination. Its a fabulous film that anyone and everyone needsAnyone with a heart and a soul loves Toy Story. It was the first film to be completely made on computers, and it was nominated for best screenplay and it definitely deserves that nomination. Its a fabulous film that anyone and everyone needs to see. There's not too much else to say about it really. YOU. NEED. TO. SEE. IT! Expand
TimeOfTheChimpsJan 24, 2014
Excellent. A major achievement and turning point in the history of animation. The conflict between Woody and Buzz makes me laugh every time I watch Toy Story. Hanks and Allen nail their roles; no one could have even come close to theExcellent. A major achievement and turning point in the history of animation. The conflict between Woody and Buzz makes me laugh every time I watch Toy Story. Hanks and Allen nail their roles; no one could have even come close to the chemistry these two have. 10/10 Expand
Delaforce828Oct 13, 2014
Both wonderful and charming, everything about the film is memorable, Tom Hanks as Woody is very loyal to the character and the antics of Tim Allen as Buzz Lightyear are extremely funny. The dialogue is geared to both kids and adults, and itBoth wonderful and charming, everything about the film is memorable, Tom Hanks as Woody is very loyal to the character and the antics of Tim Allen as Buzz Lightyear are extremely funny. The dialogue is geared to both kids and adults, and it stands as one of the great cinematic achievements. It's a great movie for anyone. Expand
HappymonkNov 30, 2011
Dude, this is a classic. I can't think of anything negative to say about it. Just as good now I'm 17 as it was when I was 3. The timing, the script, the voice acting, the animation, the comedy and the story feel just about perfect.
gNov 12, 2016
We all have an experience of our toy collections come to life without us as oweners noticing or hearing. This film introduced us to a new generation of animation, a collection of good and outstanding history behind this film and JohnWe all have an experience of our toy collections come to life without us as oweners noticing or hearing. This film introduced us to a new generation of animation, a collection of good and outstanding history behind this film and John Lasseter. I rate it an 87/100. Expand
CinemaSinsMay 9, 2015

KendylKlownfishApr 18, 2011
The first CGI-animated feature of all time -- Toy Story is funny, heartwarming, and groundbreaking for all ages. Pros: A unique concept, borrowed from the cult classic, The Brave Little Toaster; rich, colorful visuals; unforgettableThe first CGI-animated feature of all time -- Toy Story is funny, heartwarming, and groundbreaking for all ages. Pros: A unique concept, borrowed from the cult classic, The Brave Little Toaster; rich, colorful visuals; unforgettable characters, elevated by talented voice acting; overall, one of the best animated films to date. Cons: If it could possibly lack anything, it's because you don't have a taste for Pixar -- or most likely, animation. Expand
MovieMan12Jun 13, 2013
A cinematic pile of rubbish. It is a complete rip off Of the Brave Little Toaster. SO sick of Pixar taking credit were they deserve none. My kids hates it too. Doesn't surprise me.
jack977Dec 1, 2013
Consistently brilliant, Toy Story is beautifully animated but more importantly is more thoughtful and heartfelt then most dramas. It definitely raises and sets the bar for modern day animation.
MovieManiac1994Jan 4, 2016

BeastprogamerMar 30, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was a great movie. The story is amazing. The characters are awesome especially Woody, Buzz, and The Aliens. I like the part where the toys scare the crap out of Sid. Toy Story is one of my favourite movies of all time and one of my favourite Disney movie/film and you should watch it soon. Expand
rodericrinehartAug 14, 2010
A really good kid's movie that adults will enjoy watching alongside them. Cute plot, quality voice actors, and two great movies to follow it up! Can't miss.
moviemaniacsMar 6, 2016
Walt Disney continues its long tradition of cutting-edge animation with the computer-generated “Toy Story.” The very good news is that, in addition to stylistic innovation, the film sports a provocative and appealing story that’s every bitWalt Disney continues its long tradition of cutting-edge animation with the computer-generated “Toy Story.” The very good news is that, in addition to stylistic innovation, the film sports a provocative and appealing story that’s every bit the equal of this technical achievement. It’s a hard-to-beat combination that will translate into bountiful box office returns and provide the company with a whole new stream of animated product with mass-market appeal.

ESS180Nov 23, 2010
This is my favourite movie of all time, I love the characters I love the story I mean this movie is just brilliant!!!

The animation is remarkable!

Brilliant just brilliant!
ninja_dolphinFeb 9, 2013
Such a nostalgic movie, one of the best animated films of all time only surpassed by it's predecessor. The characters are great, the animation holds up to this day and the film is enjoyable for all ages.
spongeswiftMar 16, 2017
Toy Story started off Pixar in such an amazing way! The animation still holds up, the story is original and all of the characters will bring a smile to your face!
YoshipieNov 15, 2011
Great first movie for Pixar; it has given it a fantastic reputation of what we know it as today. Awesome beginning for the trilogy. Recommended for all ages; can be a family classic or for adults reflecting in their childhood. It is always aGreat first movie for Pixar; it has given it a fantastic reputation of what we know it as today. Awesome beginning for the trilogy. Recommended for all ages; can be a family classic or for adults reflecting in their childhood. It is always a great classic. Expand
Daniel17Apr 8, 2017
Toy Story is one of the greatest animated films of all time. Pixar did an amazing job with this movie. It had an incredibly entertaining story, clever humour, a strong relationship between Woody and Buzz Lightyear, excellent animationToy Story is one of the greatest animated films of all time. Pixar did an amazing job with this movie. It had an incredibly entertaining story, clever humour, a strong relationship between Woody and Buzz Lightyear, excellent animation (despite being a little bit dated compared to modern animated films), great musical score and songs by Randy Newman, spot on voice acting and unforgettable characters. If you get sick and tired of 2D traditional animated films while you wanted to see a feature-length 3D computer-animated film, this is a movie for you. I gave it a 10 out of 10. Expand
emiliomiceli31Aug 6, 2015
toy story es buena,una maravilla,un clasico y aun mejor 100% ganador del oscar y ha recibido secuelas que son aun mejor y han gando el oscar merecer mas de diez peliculas
IntroduceApr 7, 2016
........................Toy Story....................
............................. is...........................
.........................the best.....................
SusanoSep 2, 2010
Unlike other old films, Toy Story holds up remarkably (and somewhat unsurprisingly) well today, that captures the spirit of childhood and is boldly innovative. All 3 Toy Story films make it into my top 10 best films ever, with the originalUnlike other old films, Toy Story holds up remarkably (and somewhat unsurprisingly) well today, that captures the spirit of childhood and is boldly innovative. All 3 Toy Story films make it into my top 10 best films ever, with the original being pure, brilliant and magical. One for all ages. Expand
TheAnti360FoxMay 1, 2011
Unless you've been living under a rock for over 20 years, you know about this movie. I mean, who doesn't? Toy Story was the first feature-length film made completely with computer animation. It also has a voice cast with stars we all haveUnless you've been living under a rock for over 20 years, you know about this movie. I mean, who doesn't? Toy Story was the first feature-length film made completely with computer animation. It also has a voice cast with stars we all have heard of, like Tom Hanks and Tim Allen. the movie even won John Lasseter the Academy Award for Special Achievement. So, if you haven't seen this movie, you are not a person. Its story stands out, its visuals are history-making and the whole movie is a breakthrough in technology. Expand
elsylorenaJul 20, 2014
Una buena película, que tiene toques de comedia y de drama, con una buena animación, no se le puede criticar, pero para mi gusto existen mejores películas.
WeaselboystFeb 5, 2013
This was one of the movies of my childhood. If I watched this again, I can quote a few lines. That's how memorable the movie is to me. The story is perfect, the characters are lovable. Anyone who sees it knows why this was not only aThis was one of the movies of my childhood. If I watched this again, I can quote a few lines. That's how memorable the movie is to me. The story is perfect, the characters are lovable. Anyone who sees it knows why this was not only a technical achievement but a classic as well. Expand
BadsniperAug 4, 2011
The perfect kid's movie. The idea that everyone (i think) has thought: toys coming to life! This movie was AMAZING. It expresses true friendship and the struggles within perfect, and comically. Great.
Pranay6Mar 15, 2014
The first all computer-animated feature, which brings a bedroom of playthings to bouncy life, is yummy eye candy spiked with 3-D-style tactile treats.
TheDarkKnight22Sep 8, 2014
The movie that started the great children's movie series. The movie still looks great today, the voice acting holds up and it is a great movie for kids and people who grew up in that generation.
Shady313Apr 13, 2015
10/10 .................................................................................…………...........................................................
Parappafan1996Jan 13, 2015
I know this film ain't perfect but I couldn't help it, I had to give it a 10, I wouldn't be the animation fan I am today without this fantastic animated classic.
jrdacosta2002Oct 17, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Toy Story Is My Favoirte Movie For All Time It's Great Film Animation Is Awesome Moments It's Very Funny Song Is Great Characters Is Cool Actor Is Good Make Toy Story 4 Expand
pwnstarJul 5, 2011
Toy Story is, in my mind, probably the greatest animated film ever made. The story, the characters, eberything about this movie is absolutely perfect.
FilmMasterApr 21, 2015
Woody, a jovial cowboy doll, is the happy and contented boss of all the toys in Andy's room and young Andy's clear favourite..until the arrival of Buzz Lightyear, a Space Ranger toy, who is, as yet, unaware that he is 'just' a toy...

Toy

Harry210Mar 22, 2011
1995 saw the release of the first computer generated animated feature length film and this movie introduced a whole new way of telling a story. Toy Story marks the first hit movie made by Pixar Animation Studios, who in the early days, prior1995 saw the release of the first computer generated animated feature length film and this movie introduced a whole new way of telling a story. Toy Story marks the first hit movie made by Pixar Animation Studios, who in the early days, prior to the production of this movie, made 4 very fascinating computer generated short films. Toy Story is Pixar"s big leap to the big screen and boy does this movie not disappoint. This movie has an interesting plot and shows what toys would be like when the humans leave them on their own. The movie definitely gets going towards the middle of the movie. This movie has a superb cast of characters and all are perfectly voiced. The presentation, it"s outstanding even by today"s standards. Andy"s toys are running scared because of Andy"s birthday (he pushes his birthday party forward by one week because he"s moving house) is coming up as they are worried that some of them may be replaced by better toys or be outclassed. Woody, a cowboy doll (voiced brilliantly by Tom Hanks) is the leader of the group of Andy"s toys. He"s the dominant toy and Andy"s favourite toy. However, his position is threatened with the arrival of Buzz Lightyear (voiced by Tim Allen): A space ranger toy which strangely thinks that he is a real space ranger. His catchphrase "To infinity and beyond" is so memorable and even gets a neat little mention in Pixar"s next film, A Bugs Life. Buzz thinking that he"s a real space ranger makes me laugh: I mean, he tries to fix his "ship" which he "crash landed" onto Andy, proves that he can fly by using his plastic wings to fly around Andy"s room which Andy"s toys become mesmerised by the display. Hell, he even wants to teach a nasty kid, named Sid who lives next door to Andy"s, a lesson by melting him with his "scary laser". He basically refuses to accept he is a toy until he tries to fly out of a window later on in the movie. Andy"s toys seem delusional and excited over the arrival of Buzz as they find all of the neat stuff that he can do. Woody's jealously gets the better of him as he doesn't want to become second favourite to Andy so he devises a cunning plan to get rid of Buzz. After he accidently knocks him out of the window of Andy's room, Andy's toys are angry at Woody and before they can punish him, Andy and his mother take Woody to Pizza Planet. Buzz and Woody have a brawl at a petrol station and then find themselves at Pizza Planet. They then find themselves in the clutches of the toy bully, Sid which picked them both up at a grabbing toy alien game (or something like that). Now unlike the other 2 Toy Story movies that have an antagonist which is an evil toy, this movie doesn't have that but Sid sorta fits into the evil antagonist category. As Rex would say, Sid "tortures toys, just for fun!" Sid has toys which look horrifying (sort of) and most of them are toys which have been merged with other toys like the toy with the muscular body with a ducks head or the toy that has a toy babies head implanted onto a spider meccano body. As the two try to find a way out of Sid's horrible room, Buzz finally finds out that he is a toy and together with Woody, they make it out of Sid's house (even going far as breaking a few rules). Woody grows to accept Buzz into Andy's toy colony over the course of the movie and like a real cowboy, he becomes the hero of the movie. There are a few sad moments in this movie where Woody is trapped under a milk crate and admits that he doesn't hold a candle to a toy like Buzz and tells Buzz to leave him behind because he thinks Andy would rather play with a toy (which thankfully doesn't happen). When Andy is sad over losing Woody and Buzz, children can definitely relate to that and shows how much he misses his 2 favourite toys. This sets the scene for an exhilarating climax which sees Woody and Buzz trying to catch up with the now departing moving van and their owner Andy which sees Andy's RC car go as fast as the Earth's rotation. The two toys finally make it back and everything is back to normal. The original music composed by Randy Newman is really good and one piece of music that he wrote and sung titled "You've got a friend in me" suits the movie well and is also used in Toy Story's 2 sequels. Pixar have made a film about plastic toys and made the concept an entertaining movie to watch. In this movie, the toys are being portrayed as adults and their job is to look after Andy and be there for him. Toy Story isn't too serious and scary to be watched by kids even though it is rated PG by the BBFC; there is some humour in the movie like the fact that Buzz believes that he is a space ranger, Buzz acting all crazy in the "I am Mrs Nesbitt!" scene and the fact that Mr Potato head keeps losing his body parts. It maybe a computer generated animated movie but it's definitely aimed at people of all ages. I will always love Toy Story and animated films in general regardless of my age. Expand
JipaDec 7, 2014
WHO DOESN'T LIKE TOY STORY! I MEAN C'MON! This movie is currently my favorite Disney movie. Judging by the reviews. (490 People like this and 9 people hate) I would say that almost everyone who watched this liked it!
mazewaxieMar 26, 2016
This movie is a masterpiece. I mean, it's the first CGI movie in the history. Fun for kids but also enjoyable for adults. John Lasseter did an amazing work.
GonzoDiamondNov 4, 2015
Легендарный мультфильм, мультфильм-основатель, мультфильм-первооткрыватель, мультфильм-революция. Знамение новой эпохи мультипликации! То, что никак нельзя не любить.Легендарный мультфильм, мультфильм-основатель, мультфильм-первооткрыватель, мультфильм-революция. Знамение новой эпохи мультипликации! То, что никак нельзя не любить.
0987Mar 11, 2013
This is great movie!!! It's funny, interesting, great!!!!!!!!!!!! The one of the best Pixar movies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReviewGuy818Jan 17, 2013
Toy Story simply is a great animated film, no matter what angle you look at it. The characters are interesting, unique, and rootable, the animation is amazing, the story is entertaining and witty, and it all comes together to make the firstToy Story simply is a great animated film, no matter what angle you look at it. The characters are interesting, unique, and rootable, the animation is amazing, the story is entertaining and witty, and it all comes together to make the first ever computer animated film a surefire classic! Pixar, you scored big time with this! Bravo! Expand
Venom37Apr 12, 2016
La mejor pelicula de animacion de la historia, introdujo con mucho exito la animacion en 3D.
.....................................................................................................................................................
Neo010390Mar 13, 2011
When you were a kid and you used to play with toys, did you ever wish they could come to life? Directed by John Lasseter, Walt Disney Pictures and Pixar Animation Studios have teamed up together and produced a brilliant family feature whereWhen you were a kid and you used to play with toys, did you ever wish they could come to life? Directed by John Lasseter, Walt Disney Pictures and Pixar Animation Studios have teamed up together and produced a brilliant family feature where toys come to life. The story is about a young boy named Andy, who loves playing with his toys. His favourite toy is Woody (Tom Hanks) a pull-string cowboy doll that makes different speeches like "There's a snake in my boots", every time his string is pulled at the back. Whenever Andy is not around, the toys come to life and Woody is the leader of the whole toy pack (much to the jealousy of Mr Potato Head). On Andy's birthday he receives a new present from his mum, a space ranger toy called Buzz Lightyear (Tim Allen) that has so many cool features like a laser, karate chop, wings and multi voice simulator (including his main one "To infinity and beyond"). When Buzz introduces himself to Woody and the other toys, he thinks he is a real space ranger, with real lasers and can fly. The other toys believe him but Woody tries to convince Buzz and the rest that he is simply a toy like everyone else. The days pass by and soon everyone starts taking more notice in Buzz, including Andy and Woody seems to be forgotten. Growing tired of it all, Woody attempts to knock Buzz down a corner of draws using RC, but accidentally knocks him out the window. The other toys think he did it on purpose and start attacking him until Andy comes, where he takes Woody in the car to the petrol station. As soon they stop and head out the car to fill up, Buzz (who sneaked into the car) pushes Woody out the car and the two begin fighting. Andy and his Mum get back into the Car (without realising that Woody is not there) and drive off. From this point on Woody and Buzz are lost toys and must stick together if they are to get back home. Overall this whole movie is about a toy being a Childs favourite, until he is replaced and that replacement becomes his main enemy. In the end they learn a valuable lesson, it is not about being the favourite or played the most, but that they are there for the Child when he needs them. People out there will watch and enjoy this mainly because of the CGI effects, and I admit they are really impressive, considering it was the first feature length movie. But when I see this movie, I go far deeper into the toys themselves, as if you are going through the same deal of emotions. The voice actors are perfect, Tom Hanks and Tim Allen make the perfect Woody and Buzz as do the other cast who voice there own characters respectively. I absolutely adore the soundtrack of this movie. Written and composed by the talented Randy Newman, he has put together some really amazing songs including my personal favourite "You got a friend in me". Toy Story is a fantastic computer-animated picture that will bring the heart and joy to all families out there, no matter what age you are. You may watch this again years later as an adult, but you will still appreciate the memories of your childhood. I do anyway and I enjoy it just as much now as I did then. Expand