8.0

1. Nov 12, 2013
    Training Day Triumphs.
    Between the crafty, gritty performances of actors Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke; Training Day is victorious with a blazing plot.
  2. Nov 10, 2013
    One of the best crime thrillers I've ever seen, Training day would have gotten a 9 from me had it not become somewhat sloppy in the last couple of minutes with a generic cat and mouse chase scene. Unlike most of his roles Denzel Washington's Alonzo Harris is an absolute monster. Cruel, violent, deceitful, and downright nasty, he makes other loose cannon cops like John McClane seem like SpongeBob in the episode where he becomes a hall-monitor. Denzel rightfully earned an Oscar in this role. Dafoe also does a great job, which earned him an Oscar nomination as well. This movie is a gritty, exhilarating, and extremely well crafted thrill ride. There are plot twists and turns you won't expect, as well as lots of memorable dialogue and action. Corruption and morally ambiguous situations literally stuff the film, which makes it as thought provoking as it is visceral. Near the ending there is a generic and basically pointless chase scene which took up enough time to force me into giving it an 8 instead of a nine, but don't let this quibble discourage you from seeing it. Thanks to Training Day, the next time I walk into the DVD store, I know which movie I'm looking for first. Expand
  3. Oct 7, 2013
    This movie defines the essence of the thriller genre. The moment Denzel Washington speaks his first few lines to Ethan Hawke immediately grip my entire attention. They govern Training Day and it's definitely a treat to have them as the lead roles. This movie is definitely one of the most enticing, on-edge films of all time. This is a movie that should not be dismissed.
  4. Sep 1, 2013
    This is the kind of movie I hope to watch on a Saturday. This is a must watch for movie lovers! Denzel really digs into the character, showing his rookie partner how to do the job but as a corrupt cop.
  5. Sep 1, 2013
    Before movies like "The Departed" and "The Town" comes a riveting and intense cop thriller. This movie blew me away with it's great story and tremendous acting form Ethan Hawke and especially Denzel Washington. Overall, it's a cop thriller that's got the goods. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies.
  6. Jul 20, 2013
    Dang. Brilliantly acted, though the first 30 minutes are slow, but as you get into the film, you see why they were necessary. Not entirely what I expected, but all the same, great entertainment.
  7. May 29, 2013
    Muy buena esta pelicula que mezcla accion, suspenso y crimen; con brillantes actuaciones de Denzel Washington como un policia corrupto y de Ethan Hawke como un policia novato.
  8. Mar 28, 2013
    Training Day is absolutely one of the best gangster movies ever made, from acting to story it's perfect. Denzel and Ethan are both great in this cat and mice chase filled with thrills. The film is totally fresh with absorbing lore in all of its dynamics and suspense. The film targets many perspectives of New York deep down dirty gangs and director Antoine Fuqua has made his subject very detailed. The Best Gangster Film since The Godfather. Expand
  9. Feb 8, 2013
    With a good story and good acting from both Hawke and Washington, Training Day is one of those films that you simply have to see imo. Very enjoyable film.
  10. Dec 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Denzel Washington is amazing with his corrupt cop role. Whole movie he's trying to make Ethan Hawke (and YOU) believe in his truth. In the beginning he's successful and you think that he's not that bad, but in the end you see his true face. Well deserved 10/10 I think. Expand
  11. Nov 28, 2012
    "Training Day" is the story of Jake Hoyt (Ethan Hawke), an LAPD rookie who is looking to join a top-notch narcotics squad led by Alonzo Harris (Denzel Washington). Harris gives Hoyt one simple task; accompany him on a one-day ride-along where he must prove himself worthy of enlistment. Now from this point on the movie maintains a steady level of immense entertainment. The most noteworthy aspect of this movie is Denzel Washington's Academy-Award Winning portrayal of Alonzo Harris; the rugged cop that has seemingly blurred the line between what is right and what isn't. His performance is as charismatic and imposing, as it is chilling and antagonizing. Every line that Washington delivered was either intensely funny or incredibly demented (but still funny). Which brings me to the script; "The Fast And The Furious" writer, David Ayer, delivers deeply provocative dialogue, as well as a compelling narrative that delves into some very insightful themes. The main theme of the movie, however, seems to be a blend of the "Crime doesn't pay" Expand
  12. Oct 23, 2012
    Absolutely loved it. Denzel is a badass. What more do you want? Well, drama, lots of it too. In addition to great acting and drama, all this **** revolves in one day and will have your mind spinning and confused. Fresh, certified by me!
  13. Sep 29, 2012
    Stretches the bounds of credibility but it's still gun-blazing entertaining and in spite of its excesses it still has the ring of truth to it... that there is a lot of BS to being a cop in LA but justice somehow wins its small victories. Reality aint pretty, justice aint pretty but if you want pretty, you just gotta stay away from ugly.
  14. Aug 19, 2012
    This is not my kind of movie, but this movie is really good and it worth watching, is not just a cliché, really amazing, with good acting and a good script.
  15. Dec 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A tale of danger and crime, Training Day is good at demonstrating cops fighting gangs in Los Angeles. Not only does it teach us the dangers and crime of Los Angeles, it takes arresting criminals seriously. I was disappointed Denzel Washington turned out to be a antagonist despite his impressive performance, but he was even more impressive at his script and dialogue. Expand
  16. Oct 2, 2011
    Brilliant acting by Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke in an extremely well written movie. Critics who gave this movie any mark under 90 are certainly living inside a bubble.
  17. Aug 2, 2011
    Grit and power in its finest form in a police tale is exemplified in Antoine Fuqua's Training Day. Never has the line between right and wrong on the streets of LA been more poetic and indulging. Denzel Washington is captivating in his role as Alonzo the mesmerising hard faced detective willing to go to unsettling methods to reign in the narcotics line bulging through the drug dominated neighborhoods our protagonists drive through. Ethan Hawke is also perfectly cast and a first day on the job trails for Washington's unit. His upstanding ethos twinned with his Innocent damaged gaze gives the two leads their Shakespearean explosiveness and appeal. Fuqua's real triumph however dwells in his shooting of an authentic LA. The city being the muse and center of the film. The real people , the culture and the threat of their lives are entangled in our characters story. A massive step forward in film making. You have never seen anything like this before. Enthralling entertainment. Expand
  18. Mar 18, 2011
    One of my top 5 favorite movies of all time. Awesome story, perfect acting. Denzel Washington is my favorite actor and Hawke did great too. Lots of quotable lines in this movie.
  19. Sep 26, 2010
    This movie was absolutely amazing. It was a drama with hints of comedy and an array of action.
  20. Aug 23, 2010
    Rookie cop has first day on job with "maverick", teaches rookie to be streetwise, dodgy methods, rookie gets suspicious.
    Not as good as I'd heard but still a watchable buddy cop film gone wrong.
    Denzel Washington is brilliant (is this guy ever rubbish??) & Ethan Hawke comes out ok too. Lot of good cameos including Tom Berenger, Snoop Dogg, Dr Dre & Macy Gray.
    It did have a familiar feel to
    it whilst watching it even though I'd never seen it before & I assume because it wasn't all that original. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    With its unflinching style, Training Day can be hard to sit through at times. But it's worth the discomfort for the adrenaline rush of the plot and Washington's compelling performance.
  2. This is a movie that rocks and socks you, and has a performance by Washington that's ruthless and scary. But in the end, it leaves you unmarked.
  3. Reviewed by: Jay Carr
    Even when it falls back excessively on coincidence and contrived set pieces, even when it gushes irretrievably over the top in its final act, Washington makes Training Day sizzle.