7.1

1. Jun 1, 2014
    "You can't steal something that's designed to be given away free."

Surprisingly i have never seen the original Tron movie despite it being one of the most well known sci-fi movies ever but whats more of a surprise is that sci-fi is my favorite genre and i haven't seen it so with that it still took a while for me to finally get around to watching this movie but damn was it awesome. I
    know that the critics didn't care for the movie but seriously you can never take what they say on faith and you just have to watch the movie for yourself and when i finally did i found myself liking it more then others. The film boast amazing visuals with top notch CGI, a likable cast, a decent story, and a spectacular soundtrack but where the film fails is how predicable it and its characters can be at time also that i didn't care for the whole father son relationship story arc in the film. Still though i had a really enjoyable time watching this movie and would honestly recommend it to people that have yet to see it.

The film follows Sam Flynn (Garrett Hedlund) and after talking to his fathers friend Alan who received a message from his father Kevin Flynn (Jeff Bridges) who has been missing for the past 20 years, Sam goes down to his dads old video arcade place to check it out. He soon finds a old computer and after messing around with it he unknowingly transports himself into a digital world known as "The Grid". He is soon caught and taken to what is called "The Games" a huge arena where a bunch of programs fight each other with their digital identity discs. This was actually the most fun part of the movie seeing Sam fight against the programs then seeing him fight on the motorcycles it was a thrilling spectacle to watch with a amazing use of CGI that was a absolute wonder to look at.

While in the games Sam is rescued by a mysterious person we soon come to learn that this is Quorra (Olivia Wilde) she is his friends with his father and is taking him to meet him. From here we find out why Sam received the message and its not for the reason he was thinking, now its up to the three of them to stop Kevin's evils digital clone Clu who has gone mad with trying to make everything perfect resulting in Clu committing genocide on a entire digital race called ISO's. The story does have its fair share of plot holes some minor some big still though in the end i enjoyed its story and its flaws weren't that big of a problem to me as it is with others. My favorite part of the movie i would have to say was the Club scene for sure DAFT PUNK in the DJ booth blaring great tunes while we great to see a kick ass action sequence also seeing Olivia Wilde kick some ass was just totally awesome.

Overall i give it a 7.5 Now i know some people didn't like the younger digital face of Jeff Bridges but honestly its not has bad as what people make it out to be and to be honest i was rather impressed by how it looked now i didn't see it in theaters and maybe they touched it up a little more when they released it out on Blu ray/DVD but i cant say. Other then that i absolutely loved Olivia Wilde in this she looked simply gorgeous and her character was awesome also it would have cool to see a bit more of Tron as he was totally kick ass in all his parts.
  2. May 13, 2014
    This movie could of had so much potential, so much to show, so much to explore...but came in short.

This movie could of done better had we been brought closer to the digital society, ive felt like we didn't see enough outside of the arena. for that i was kinda disappointing.

BUT DAMM did that Sound Track Did it for me. So far the only thing that was done right out from the movie.
    Disney made the right decision on hiring Daft Punk to develop the Tron Legacy Sound Track, who else but Daft Punk...Genius. Expand
  3. Apr 23, 2014
    It's funny how Jeff Bridges played the title role of Kevin Flynn in the original, and he still plays the same role in the new one, 30 years later. This time ,Kevin's son goes into the game. While this movie is a stretch, it's one saving grace is some pretty cool CGI and special effects.
  4. Ozy
    Apr 2, 2014
    Tron is a hell of a movie! Now I know this ain't everybody's cup of tea. It is a movie with a unique audience. I don't know how i fell into that audience as im not your average syfi guy - im here nonetheless. The story line is fantastic I thoroughly enjoyed every second of it. The idea is also brilliant and jeff bridges was gold. It's one of the first movies I've watched were you know it will form part of a trilogy at the very least. The makers have planted enough seeds that will make the next instalment very meaningful. This is probably one for the guys, the girls will be bored in the first 15mins. Daft Punks music suited it well too. Expand
  5. Feb 13, 2014
    A visual masterpiece that oozes cool all over the place. Tron: Legacy is an outstanding continuation from the 1980s original, one that will greatly impress viewers. It's no surprise that Disney was a part of this given the level of technical detail put into the film. Everything about it is great, except there's that notion of shallowness that can't be escaped. A great movie should be rewatchable multiple times, and while Legacy does so much to entertain your visual and audible senses (Daft Punks original score for the movie is OUTSTANDING), the way the story is told feels a bit underwhelming considering how impressive everything else is. I absolutely love this film and I hope Disney puts more into the story next time (there's confirmation that, at this time, a follow up movie is in the works). The actors were fantastic (how can you say no to Jeff Bridges and Olivia Wilde!?), I just could have used more weight to the plot instead of a very cookie-cutter format. Still, I highly recommend this movie! Expand
  6. Jan 25, 2014
    All style, no substance. Impressive in the audio/visual department, with little going on elsewhere. When it finishes recreating scenes from the 1982 film, it's bland, predictable and boring.
  7. Jan 3, 2014
    In my opinion, this a great movie! It has a great story, and the effects and the fake lights are amazing! I saw it in 3d, and it was one of my favorite movies I have ever seen! I would definitely get this movie on dvd or blueray!
  8. Nov 20, 2013
    TRON ecstasy.
    The entire movie is dull, boring, and feels completely fake. The characters are bland and unbelievable, the effects are good, but the dialogue is terrible. The film feels like its simply riding the coat tails of its predecessor, and never grows into its shoes.
  9. Oct 26, 2013
    First time feature director Kosinski delivers thrills and a touch of heartache inside a very impressive palate of colors and noise. And I'm not afraid to admit that, as completely muddled and incomprehensible as modern action sequences have become, I enjoyed the fact that our heroes and villains were color-coded. Try to make it to an IMAX theatre for this one.
  10. Aug 3, 2013
    This movie gets a 1 for me only because of the visuals and the music. I torrented this because I had a feeling it wouldn't be worth my money and boy was I right. A ridiculous plot with plot holes you could drive a tank through, some truly terrible performances and the title character being a bad guy for most of the film (not that you would even notice unless you were really paying attention) before changing sides for no discernable reason to help the good guys win. This film is horrible and should not be watched by anyone. Expand
  11. Jul 18, 2013
    A very advanced film in visuals, which dazzle and give you an eyegasm. The story isn't as powerful and is hard to follow at times, but overall you get the sense of what is going on and what will happen. It is a well acted film and that soundtrack by Daft Punk is something everyone can enjoy! This is a great film!
  12. Jul 17, 2013
    Without comparing it to the original, Tron: Legacy is a fun movie. There is action all throughout paired with a cool soundtrack. the story is short and is done with descent acting. Not bad.
  13. May 21, 2013
    I have no idea why critics have put so low rating on this movie. Not an absolute masterpiece, but this very unique movie allows you to throw a sight on bright computer world alongside with marvellous Daft Punk music. Fights are very bright and dynamic. Olivia Wilde is very hot, and Jeff Brisged is cool also. If you are fun of cyberpunk this is your movie, even if you are not definitely worth watching. I bet half of critics who gave this movie low rating is old grannys afraid of explosions, flashes and speciall effects. Expand
  14. May 16, 2013
    it freaking awesome get it now
  15. Apr 6, 2013
    Tron: Legacy is visually incredible. The look of the whole thing is amazing. Disney was really able to pull off the futuristic-esque look for this movie. I thought the light cycles were awesome. They were probably my favorite part of the movie. However, I felt that the plot was somewhat confusing. I was having a bit of trouble following it. Overall, this movie is visually stunning, but the story and plot fall flat of what I had hoped for. Expand
  16. Mar 24, 2013
    Really gets me when people over analyse something they should just sit back and enjoy. People talk about the story and the characters etc etc. It was simple enough to understand but had enough dept to keep you interested. So moving on, even if you didn't like the story look at every frame and listen to every note! AMAZING! I walked out thinking I have never experienced anything like this in my life. I could seriously print any frame in this film and it would look amazing. Just for the music and the style id give it a 10! Expand
  17. Mar 20, 2013
    Better then the original to me. Better Effects, Better Cast/Acting, Better Story. I say this film was also one of the best in 2010. The plot is fairly decent, more interesting then the original. I say watch this if your looking for something fun, but don't look too deep into the plot.
  18. Feb 26, 2013
    TRON: Legacy is an awesome science fiction adventure and even though I am no fan of Daft Punk, I thought the musical score was very, very good. It fit the mood perfectly. The animations are brilliantly done, nearly every scene is a piece of art and the costumes looked great. My gripe with this movie is that although the acting was good, especially the fighting cheography, they could have perhaps made what was being said more meaningful at times. It felt to me that some of the things uttered by the characters were redundant and a scene would have been more majestic if they had kept quiet or were given something else to say. For example, at some point a character utters "Long live the users!" and it comes across as quite powerful, very neat quote. The very same character is then made to proclaim "death to the users" and to me it sort of felt as if though it undid some character development there. I thought that Jeff Bridges as the protagonist's father was a good match, I liked his 80's attitude but as the antagonist he simply lacked the charisma to pull off a convincing villain, especially during the speech scene near the end. I would have also liked for the movie to be a bit more technologically-savy oriented. A bit of a pet-peeve but it seemed to me like they could have gotten more out of the movie if they had somehow incorporated some of today's existing terminology into the storyline so that less things seem to happen as if by magic. The hacker angle wasn't exploited enough (for a change!). Plot was slightly on the weak side and the movie seemed to slow down near the end but that straightened itself out mostly and the film came together in the end. I never saw TRON (1982) but it's been bumped up my priority list. Collapse
  19. Jan 23, 2013
    The idea is original, but the movie is painful.
  20. Jan 18, 2013
    I waited 28 years to see a sequel. The light cycle scene was better than expected, but then it is 28 years later. I've seen several complaints about "dude" and "radical" being used, truth is that if you were trapped in the system since the 1980's, your vocabulary would be the same. Visually, overall, it was spectacular. The storyline could have been better, but it's a 28 year in waiting Disney movie sequel. The performances were good. Having Daft Punk do the music score, and the timing was excellent. My only real complaint is that the movies namesake didn't have more screen time. Worth buying. My copy is going up beside the 20th anniversary edition of the first Tron. Expand
  21. Jan 3, 2013
    The visuals of the film look great (and it makes good use of 3D as well), The acting is solid, but I think the plot, which was sort of stupid, definently hurt the value of the film quite a bit. However, I enjoyed watching it so much that I can look past that. Definently underrated by critics imo.
  22. Dec 8, 2012
    I thought this was great! 2010 was a good year for Disney...Toy Story 3, Wonderland, Secretariat, Tangled, Tron Legacy. They had alot on their plate, and Tron Legacy did not disappoint!

I want to defend the film first. So what if this has a "videogame storyline," it's about a videogame, and an electronic world!! I'm really confused as to what else could been expected, the plotline was
    highly entertaining and I honestly can't ask for much more. The visual effects were STUNNING! Some of the best I have ever seen. I expected that the film would be visually astounding, but I was still blown away. I was truly fascinated by the way this film looked...so cool!! I liked the actors, Jeff Bridges is great in anything, and Garret Hedlund was even okay. Olivia Wilde was nice, too. I'm a huge House fan, so I've always liked her. Also, perfect musical score by Daft Punk...so modern, fresh, and cool!

A major flaw in the film is its writing. The screenplay was way too bare and minimal which was slightly disappointing, especially after multiple viewings. TRON Legacy does so many things right that a weak script really holds the film back. What little dialogue there was wasn't enough to support the deeper themes the film glazed over.

Overall though, I think everyone should see TRON: Legacy! I thought it was pretty awesome.
  23. Nov 29, 2012
    It's funny because every flaw the original Tron had, this movie corrects. However, almost all character and charm from the first film is lost in this one. Now don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of the original. The charm and originality of the setting and concept do not do enough to compensate for the terrible acting, mediocre effects, cheesy dialogue, and prolonged plot. This movie, while not so original, compensates for that by actually having pretty decent acting, amazing effects, a plot that isn't dull and boring, and is just in general a much more entertaining movie. It's only real flaw for me was that it left behind the concept of the personalities of the computer programs and was essentially just another modern science fiction movie with cool effects. The world feels almost more alien than computer. I also thought they could've expanded on the ending quite a bit. The movie ends with them talking about "changing the world" but no method for this is explained in any way. I assume they left it open like that in order to whore out the franchise in the ensuing years with sequels but I'm a believer that movies should be able to stand alone.

On a side note, if you watch this movie on blu-ray, be sure to check out the extra called "Flynn Lives" after you watch the movie. It's one of the most interesting extra features I've ever seen in movies. Most movies just throw in useless deleted scenes, interviews, and some segments on how things were made. Most people don't really care about that stuff, however, this extra is one that they could've, and actually should've included after the credits. I think a lot of people would've been interested to watch these 5 minutes after the film since it fit so well. Also, I've gotta mention Olivia Wilde. Obviously she's absolutely beautiful. However, I thought her character completely stole the screen. Quorra might have been the only really interesting character in the movie and Olivia Wilde did a great job in portraying that. Overall, this was a really good movie that might not appeal as much to the nerd niche but one that I think more people would enjoy.
  24. Nov 28, 2012
    Visually stunning, but it's second act and climax fail to live up to the opening 25 minutes.
  25. Jul 22, 2012
    This movie lacked a lot of things. I compared this movie to some of the other scifi's and realized that it felt different, that there was something this compared to none of the others because it had a wholly different theme and focus. This movie was in every way a movie about a dystopian future, though it took place in a modern setting. What was missing was a lot of the cynicism and despair that accompanies the dark futures of the other films. Instead it ended with hope and reconciliation. It did more than forecast doom from a range of questionable trends, it examined without genuflection or apology the contrast between an attempt to achieve perfection according to what might well have represented a thousand philosophies or ideals, and the wild universe of the world we can all associate with. Here we find the same misgivings expressed with the vicissitudes of death, age and illness but counters all that bitterness with what ought to be lamented which is being lost right now--family. What this movie does further is divorce a potentially perfect society from lewdness and depravity of lifestyle, the real cause of misery in life, or at least doesn't focus on it but gives it due perspective by wrangling it in with evil in general. That is not found in most of these films because the makers themselves cannot divorce themselves from their lifestyle. This 'divorce' is that which, if missing or failed, will like divorce shred society after family is murdered. So here we see the problem and the solution in a single cinematic statement. Here we see a dividing line because this movie or this theme at least is despised by those that can't stand what preserves a family, morality, or praised for being a somewhat creative if simple champion of basic decency. Books and colleges, blogs and intellectuals aren't quoted for it, so we see what becomes the source of concern, the reason for dark tomorrows in movies and the woes forecast in literature--despair not because the future is bleak, but because no one wants to take responsibility over their own lives. Interesting that filth has become an all-too prevalent fixture in media, the self-defeating contagion that can't spare its creator any more than such a creator can spare his audience the illness of their own mind. Why should it when the mind in question cannot keep itself from lewdness? Disney needs to wear laurels for this relatively good and decent film as well as their vision, but especially for holding up the family and all the traditional and time-honored principles socketted in its crown and scepter as the guardian and steward for the future. So what's your status in that kingdom? Expand
  26. Jul 17, 2012
    As well made as this movie is, it was let down by horrid pacing and a thin plot. The action is stunning while it lasts but the second act is chock-full of exposition and the third act couldn't make up for the dull second. I'll give credit to Daft Punk's awesome score, Joseph Kosinski for his architectural experience and Jeff Bridge's performance as an old and young version of himself, but this was a disappointment. Expand
  27. Jul 10, 2012
    TRON: Legacy, a film like this, I've waited years for. The storyline was a bit rushed but the dazzling visuals and soundtrack more than made up for it. Daft Punk did a good job on the soundtrack and the special effects team did a more than amazing job. Great work.
  28. Jul 1, 2012
    This is just another movie witch try's to impress you with special effects and a weak story sort of boring for most of it. The world of Tron is cool but that's the only really interesting thing about this film. Overall Tron was a awful film. Tron Legacy 3.8/10
  29. May 26, 2012
    I enjoyed this movie alot more than I thought I would. I never got into the first Tron so I wasn't up-to-date on what was going on. I thought the soundtrack was awesome as well the environment. I wasn't impressed with the acting in the movie whatsoever and the story was kinda weak. But it was a decent film to watch when nothing else was going on and I'd recommend it to someone who liked the original Tron and someone who might be interested in the new animated Tron: Uprising series coming out soon. Expand
  30. Apr 14, 2012
    TRON: Legacy may be visually spectacular, but it's an incredibly flawed film, even for a shamelessly profit-driven Disney Blockbuster. It begins well enough, with satisfying links to the original film, and the first hour or so is pretty entertaining and energetic storytelling. Garrett Hedlund, while not the most talented actor or compelling protagonist in film history, has the right confidence and swagger about him to convincingly portray Jeff Bridges' son. Bruce Boxleitner is decent in his reprisal of the role of Alan Bradley/Tron, but his role this time round is a little limited. Michael Sheen unquestionably steals the show as the flamboyant Bowie-esque nightclub owner Castor. Olivia Wilde is pretty awful as Quorra, and her character is nonsensical, even for a film about someone being transformed into computer code, but the real disappointment is Jeff Bridges who looks bored as the old Flynn and downright terrifying as the de-aged Flynn/CLU. The script is also dire, and the story becomes offensively dumb from about an hour in. Thank goodness for the fantastically catchy electronic soundtrack provided by Daft Punk - it almost makes up for the inconsistency of the rest of the film...almost. TRON: Legacy has fantastic visuals and competent action, and a standout performance from Michael Sheen, but it's been a while since I've seen another film that's so moronic and packed with bad ideas. And I'm sure the filmmakers got Cillian Murphy in for a two minute sequence for some reason...but I sure as heck don't know what that reason was. Expand
  31. Mar 31, 2012
    It does not surprise me the subtle nuance of Tron: Legacy is lost on this new generation of "critics". The subtle elegance of Tron Legacy may be lost on kids of this generation who did not grow up into a digital world but, rather, were born into it after it was already here. As a result I expect this sequel is directed more towards my generation rather than the kids who were born long after Tron hit the big screen.

Here is a little secret, I am old enough to remember the original movie in theaters when it was first released. Riding my deck to the arcade at the mall to play the "new" Tron video game.

We who spent our lives discovering this new digital frontier may be more apt to notice the opening scene, the scene with a younger Jeff Bridges and the young Sam Flynn, is completely digitally rendered. We have come a long way baby from Pong and Space Invaders haven't we? Yes even Sam's grandparents and the opening scene of the front of the house being hit by rain, it's all digital. The movie seamlessly transitions from digital to camera footage and it quickly becomes difficult to tell what is "real" and what is not from scene to scene. This muddy distinction between fact and fiction leads the perceiver to appreciate this movie as more than just a pretty picture with some cool tunes. There is more going on here than just that.

As a sequel Tron Legacy ties up very neatly what has transpired since Flynn was trapped on the Grid so many cycles ago. Sometimes sequels in the video game or digital pop genre can have an ever present feeling of contrivance and surreality that overcomes the story and narrative appeal. Luckily Tron Legacy is so well done that there is nothing to interrupt the telling of the story of what happens next. It is clear to me that a great deal of care and love went into the creation of Legacy as a sequel and I am grateful the producers and director decided to do it right.

A word to a new audience. Even though you may be tempted to jump straight into the world of Tron without accessing the first iteration, I would highly advise against it. Without the knowledge of the first story, new viewers in the world of the Grid may not be able to appreciate the subtleties of the back story that make Tron Legacy a very worthy sequel. Without that back story and the knowledge of what happened to Flynn in the original movie, I can easily see how a new generation would perceive this movie as little more that a colorful music video with some effects thrown in. This perception would be a shame, truly a disservice in my opinion to a great and deep story. Much of the narrative in this movie would surely be lost on a new viewer unfamiliar with the original.

The music created by Daft Punk is excellent and fits the narrative sequences without becoming overbearing. In my opinion Daft Punk captured the essence of what it would be like to experience the Grid in an aural sense and, as a result, the mood they create with their beats works together seamlessly with the flow and telling of the story. The soundtrack by itself is masterfully done and worth a listen in its own right.

For these reasons, and probably a few more that will come to me in a few more cycles, I highly recommend this movie but make sure to see the original first.

Don't mess with my Zen thing man.

end of line
  32. Feb 20, 2012
    Visually, it is amazing. The main problem is that the movie is hard to follow towards the middle, and suffers because of it. See it for the effects, but not for the story.
  33. Feb 11, 2012
    An absolutely marvelous film with breathtaking visuals and beautiful art direction. So much of the spirit of the original film is in this one with references for the fans of the first movie to smile with pride for understanding.
  34. DKE
    Feb 7, 2012
    Tron: Legacy is an action packed Sci-Fi Fantasy that captures the true potential of the human imagination in the digital world. Jeff Bridges (Kevin Flynn and Clu) goes all out and plays a two-part role in this digital adventure. When Kevin Flynn discovers a portal into the digital world, he replicates himself by creating a program that he named Clu. Together, Flynn and Clu worked to create a Utopia, until Clu betrays Flynn. Flynn cannot defeat his digital self and therefore goes into hiding in the digital world from Clu. For over 20 years, Kevin Flynn is trapped in the grid, while Clu builds his empire. Cluâ Expand
  35. Jan 20, 2012
    Tron is a great idea, great concept and to be remade was the ideal of taking a chance. Well, in my opinion the chance was taken and the product was a dozy. Director Joseph Kosinski really showed the world how much of a force he will be in the directing world remaking a movie that was not supposed to be remade and pulled it off. The visuals are stunning, arguably the best of the year and Jeff Bridges and Olivia Wilde are outstanding. Garrett Hedlund is just ok and the CLU clone is kind of creepy from time to time but gets the job done with the technology. Though most remakes are nothing compared to the original, this Tron is definitely on par if not better than its predecessor. Expand
  36. Jan 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm glad someone told me to watch Jeff Bridges like he was playing Lebowski because it made the film more entertaining. I actually really like the story of this film, but its just done so badly. It looks amazing but no one looks like they care about anything, ''Look we're in a Tron movie!'' kinda thing. I didn't care about any of the characters apart from Tron himself but then stopped caring about him when his change of heart isn't even explained. The music is great too, but the film is just flat as hell. It's a shame too, because like I said, the actually backbone story of the film could of been very interesting if done right. Expand
  37. Jan 7, 2012
    Eh. Cool special effects. That's about it. That's all I expected though. But I must say, the soundtrack was stellar. Daft Punk did an amazing job and I'd like to see them do another movie.
  38. Jan 2, 2012
    Very stylish film with an outstanding soundtrack. However like a poorly thought out pie it sags in the middle and all the time they are "advancing the plot" and talking about ISO's, etc, you long for them to go back and have another lightcycle race or disc battle. Olivia Wilde is great, Jeff Bridges is ok reprising an earlier role ("The Dude" from the big lebowski), however the actor playing Sam Flynn is an unengaging cookie-cutter hero. I really hope the sequel is better than this. Overall ok, but not as good as it could have been. Expand
  39. Dec 21, 2011
    The original Tron holds a sentimental value to me, as my father and I watched it early on in my childhood. I was always interested in computers, and from that day on, video games too. The story of Kevin Flynn being trapped in a digital world with no means of escape and to be there for almost 25 years before an aggressive CLU(codified likeness utility) took it upon himself to lure Flynn's son Sam into the machine makes for one HELL of a great story, and it grabbed a hold of me right from the start. Jeff Bridges does a great job of playing himself, young and old, and CLU, the program that ultimately turns on him and drives him into exile.
    And the movie wouldn't be the same without the TOP-NOTCH soundtrack done exclusively by Daft Punk. They have a rare gem on their hands with this Album, and I'm listening to it now as of this being typed....
    I can say enough about it: emotionally attaching, great soundtrack, gripping storyline, and a decent job by the actor portraying Sam Flynn, Kevin's son, Garrett Hedlund-all makes for a great movie I can't seem to watch enough.
  40. Dec 20, 2011
    I am suprised that critics hated it so much, It actually was pretty good. The action scenes were good and the acting was ok (I expected better) and the story was true to the series but lets be honest - The story sucked, It wasnt interesting and it ended so poorly that it left me saying "I watched this movie just for that?". The story brought it down a lot but the enjoyable moments through out the movie made it worth the watch. Expand
  41. Dec 19, 2011
    It boasts one of the best assembled casts, who work well together, and has some just stunning visual effects, but you don't really know what is going on because the special effects are to distracting. I give this film a 48%.
  42. Dec 17, 2011
    This movie did not disappoint, with loads of action, great special effects, and an awesome soundtrack, I spent most of the time with a big grin on my face! Disney have done a very good job here, entertaining for adults but at the same time not too hard for children to understand what was going on (my 5 and 7 year old sons both understood it). Also, there are some very cool nods to the original Tron (no spoilers, you'll just have to watch it) and Jeff Bridges is amazing! Well done Disney, hope there is another on the way. Expand
  43. Nov 21, 2011
    Mesmerizing movie, with perfect audiovisual presentation. The visuals and the 3D were breathtaking, incorporating the awesome soundtrack from Daft Punk, = the conclusion is an epic allgasm. I even liked the story, nothing too convulted, a good son and father plot with great references to the original movie. Sure, there are some cheesy dialogues and phrases that would make an expert cringe, but overall it's a complete package. Expand
  44. Nov 20, 2011
    I actually thought it was pretty good. Solid acting and good effects as well, Works well in 3D too. The downfalls of it though is the rather long run time, Far too long if you ask me. Also while its entertaining for the most part, Its rather boring at times as well. Overall its still rather good.
  45. Nov 17, 2011
    The world inside the computer looks amazing, the soundtrack totally emerges (?!) you into the film, there's plenty of action, a decent story, in short: i enjoyed it very much.
  46. Nov 9, 2011
    TRON: LEGACY is a visually impressive and entertaining film that was great in 3D and is really fun. But in some parts, I didn't like the acting that much.
  47. Oct 22, 2011
    Best in The series, but something seems wrong about the film, was it Sam flynn or noticeable lack of emotions and good acting by bruce??? Anyway the film had great 3D effects and a good story but lacks good acting but still if you ask me, it's a great film. No regrets when I watched it in 3D, no regrets when I bought the DVD.
  48. Oct 15, 2011
    Truly spectacular, while I haven't seen the original Tron I really loved this movie, the world is awesome, characters are fantastic, and it just has an amazing atmosphere to it, it's action packed and just a lot of fun to watch, and the special effects and the cool suits they wear are awesome, and the ending has me hoping for another movie, truly a spectacular ride form beginning to end.
  49. Sep 30, 2011
    "TRON: Legacy" is certainly better than its corny prequel "TRON", but still its level of depth is shallow.
  50. Sep 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In a nutshell: Movie wasn't that good. Olivia Wilde made it watchable, but hell, she makes anything watchable. CLU's CGI face was truly awful. Now, I'm a pretty big scifi fan. My shelves right now are littered with Star Trek TOS novels. I also own an almost complete collection of BattleTech novels. I'm well versed in the science fiction genre. But hell's bells, I still had no **** idea what was so special about those goddamn ISOs. Last time I checked, an ISO was something I mounted to my Daemon Tools to pirate software. They do a really piss poor job of explaining exactly what's so amazing and world-altering about these ISOs. They're just these magical miracles and it's gonna change religion and push the boundaries of human civilization and... and what the **** Why? Why are they so amazing? This is never ever explained with any degree of clarity or satisfaction. I mean, they just look like regular Tron programs with some tattoos. And Quorra seems perkier then everybody else. That's it. That's the only difference I can tell. There needed to be way more explanation. And yeah, I've heard that Tron Evolution actually does go into it and explain the ISOs in more detail, but cmon. You shouldn't have to play a video game to get a key plotpoint in your film.

And really, this is supposed to be a Disney film marketed to children, right? If I, a 25 year old guy who reads tons of scifi can't figure this out, how's a kid supposed to?

Also, a roast pig? Why is there a roast pig in there? Where did he come up with a pig? Do you even need to eat food while in the Grid? Aren't they all digitized? Later on, they have Quorra drinking some blue vial, like it's energy. The disconnect between those two scenes is huge. And uh, how did Flynn come up with all those volumes of old books? Tolstoy, Dosteovsky, Jules Verne? Did he memorize all those books? Did he pull a "Book of Eli?" That seems unlikely, no? Then where did they come from? Were they already on the computer mainframe? Why would these books be on a corporate mainframe? You might say that those works are available on the internet, but this mainframe isn't hooked up to the internet. It couldn't be, because it's about 30 years old, and having an internet connection available to CLU would be really uh, dangerous.

Lightcycle sequence was great, but that was right at the 30 or 40 minute mark. They never ever managed to come close to that setpiece in the second or third act. It's like Superman Returns, where you just get the airplane rescue and then nothing else exciting happens. You can't just blow your wad in the first act and call it a day. There needed to be more great scenes like that, but it never took off. The ending action sequence with the airplanes dogfighting was kinda boring. And I'm not really sure what that last maneuver was. Did they just fly higher and higher until both planes stalled and fell back down? I'm not 100% clear, but it seems like that's what they did. But... why would airplanes in the Grid stall? They're in a computer program, do aerodynamics and the properties of lift have to conform exactly to the real world? It seems kinda silly, doesn't it?
  51. Sep 11, 2011
    The first Tron movie had some groundbreaking ideas to virtual space but Tron legacy fails to explore any new themes or sci-fi ideas. The world of Tron legacy was simply a fantasy world rather than exploring a scifi world within a computer which is a missed opportunity. The movie has a great soundtrack and some of the visual direction is brilliant, the CGI animated young Jeff Bridges was awful, did not work and ruined the movie for me every time the animated character spoke. I rate Tron fairly well dispite these short comings as I loved its soundtrack so much, its a shame they didnt take more chances with the sci-fi ideas and its CGI Jeff Bridges. Expand
  52. Sep 2, 2011
    The visuals are fabulous and are enough for one to see the film. The story isn't much, and many questions are left unanswered. The fight scenes were pretty cool, though, and the cast does a good job - particularly Bridges, who has fun playing two characters.
  53. ALF
    Aug 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have many fond memories of the original film which I shall not share, only that I went to the cinema twice to see the original. I have been looking forward to this for some time and it did not disappoint. I really cannot understand some of the comments made by supposed critics, seems like a lot of "look at me hot air." Tron2 is a worthy successor to the original and they have opened up a possible franchise with some of the storyline. The effects were excellent. One of the critics commented about the light cycles as being the only thing to watch. What about the motorcycle chase? The leap off the building? The arena fight? Perhaps dear critics you should think before you write, perhaps watch the movie again (even I see new things every time I watch it) and then comment, but that would be too sensible. Expand
  54. Aug 23, 2011
    Il fallait s'y attendre, Tron l'Héritage n'est pas une perle question scénario (histoire lisse, personnages sans intérêt). Mais le film se démarque (comme on s'y attendait également) par son ambiance electro pop (bruitages, bo de Daft Punk) ainsi que par son rendu visuel époustouflant (accessoires, costumes, décors, effets numériques). Au final, Tron 2 reste un spectacle ébourrifant et grandiose. Expand
  55. Aug 20, 2011
    I absolutely loved the movie. The lightcycle races and the disc wars were absolutely spectacular and Jeff Bridges gave his all in a great performance. And Daft Punk is just the cherry on top! Possibly the best family movie I have seen since Monsters VS Aliens.
  56. Aug 10, 2011
    Yes, the story is pedestrian at best. If you can forgive this one failure and enjoy *every* other aspect of the movie, you will find it to be a really entertaining experience. Personally I love me some jeff bridges, and I love me some daft punk, so going into this I was feeling very forgiving. The aesthetics and lighting are just dazzling and the sound track will rock your socks off, so if nothing else just go into it as an audio-visual treat and enjoy! Expand
  57. Jul 29, 2011
    keep watching this movie..... its an onslaught of incredible visuals and amazing music... can't stop listening to the soundtrack either... first time since star wars. Daft Punk... who I wasn't a fan of prior blows minds in this musical score. And the story is quite sellable and tolerable for both children and nostalgic adults alike. Tell your kid about the first Tron movie... and then watch this one with them. In HD. Expand
  58. Jul 14, 2011
    A visually captivating film with a high energy revolutionary score. And that's about it really. But those two aspects of the movie themselves make it worthwhile. The story is without imagination and energy and the actors, although very effective at times, ultimately seem like an afterthought. The problem is that there's nothing new to this story, everything is fairly predictable. However, if you ignore that and simply be absorbed by the visuals, score and sound, you have a very imaginative ride. Expand
  59. Jun 28, 2011
    This movie is a spectacle to look at; in Blu-Ray, you feel like you're on the Grid, neon skintight suit and all. however, its awkward plot is a whole other story; They tried to shoehorn in too much and when they realized it was too much, they took it away instantly (best examples; the character of Zuse, with about 15 minutes of screentime until his deresolution, and the revelation that rinzler is Tron, until he's thrown into an abyss). as a fan of the original, i found it disappointing to not be able to see what was going on at ENCOM after Flynn's disappearance, 20 years of history literally discarded. The most awkward point of all, when kevin flynn literally explodes to destroy clu and allow his son and quorra to escape to the real world, they both act happy and as if his death doesnt matter. The best part about this movie is the soundtrack; Daft Punk did an amazing job of bringing the Grid to life with their score, and must be commended and noticed. Expand
  60. Jun 18, 2011
    With such a weak plot the only fall back for the viewer is the visual effects - and even that wasn't particularly groundbreaking - despite some nice effects. It was at least 30 mins too long, way too much unnecessary dialogue and general banter with consequently several "just get on with it" moments. When the viewer gets so bored that they're no longer very interested in the final outcome, that makes a movie a failure. A pity because if it had just had a better story and contained more humour and fun (without even having to enhance the effects) this would be an 8/10 movie. Expand
  61. Jun 15, 2011
    Whilst I am not a seasoned TRON fan like the many who were expecting to be blown away with this one, I personally enjoyed it. A decent cast, plot, and magnificent visual effects were enough for me to feel relatively satisfied by the end of it. The experience I felt from watching the film was insightful into the future of the Information Age we live in. The soundtrack provided by Daft Punk was also quite groovy and fitting.

Although TRON: Legacy is not to be considered a 'top' film, it was definitely an enjoyable digital adventure that those of all ages can follow and be entertained by.
  62. Jun 14, 2011
    There was a point in Tron Legacy that I decided I wasn't enjoying it. What that exact moment was I can't quite recall, but when it manifested itself it continued to hang over my head like The Sword of Damocles. I don't think Tron Legacy is a bad movie by any means, and it certainly does have enough gloss and sheen to look down its nose at anything around to date (Avatar aside), but it's just completely forgettable. Being a sci-fi fan, and especially a fan of one its more fascinating sub genres 'cyberpunk', I felt completely let down, and even a little annoyed. Finer points aside, The Matrix and the Tron movies pretty much run the same course, and are both examples of science fiction in the not to distant future that ask the fundamental question 'who are we?'. Whereas The Matrix explores this notion, in a future where identity is no longer just a physical medium, with a level of insight and philosophical debate, Tron Legacy tip toes around even the basic fundamentals and eventually ends up exactly as Disney wanted it to be... a throw away family movie with a merchandising dollar sign stamped all over it. I didn't dislike Tron Legacy, I just though it was an opportunity wasted Expand
  63. Jun 11, 2011
    This is a lifeless, dull film that looks as drab as the script reads. But the major issue I have with the film is that it so often looks "real". A shiny solid slick place instead of a realm made of bits and bytes.
  64. Jun 6, 2011
    Crap.. what more can I say. Umkay, I can say more... I pity the artists who worked on this, as much of what they created was an innovative twist on unimaginative themes. The 3d/2d artists deserve some cred, for doing what they did within the the clearly claustrophobic confines of the director. Everyone else... u suck!!! Horrible writing, acting, directing..... horrible, unwatchable crap all around.

You get a 2, because you are sort of psyfi, and not Lex (which is beyond horrible)... be grateful for Lex, or you would get -5... ok, zero, as that's as low as it goes. Lex made everything to come after better by being so god-awfully bad--stupid Canadians, what where you thinking.
  65. Jun 3, 2011
    I guess I really don't see what the critics see because I saw nothing wrong with this film. The acting was good, the visuals were stunning and the soundtrack was amazing I bought it right after I saw the movie. This movie was great. The only negative thing I have to say about it is their weren't enough games. Their shouldve been way more battles, but other than that the father and son story was great, the sound effects were ecstatic, and like I said before the soundtrack was the best I've heard in a movie in a LONG time, Daft Punk is amazing at what he does. I hope theirs a third. This movie deserves high praise, 10/10. Expand
  66. Jun 2, 2011
    Superbly entertaining! A visual event that pulled me in quick and kept me there the whole time. For those that do not know much of the Tron history, this film does well with educating a new audience while also giving some deserved flavor to old time fans. Performances all around are excellent with Bridges stealing the show!
  67. May 5, 2011
    This film has been unfairly panned by critics. its only flaw is cramming enough visuals dialog and story elements for two full length films into one. If you can forgive the hurried pace of many scenes then you will find a rare gem in Tron Legacy. The acting and direction outshine the Star Wars prequels so brightly its like comparing coal to a precious gemstone. The score and accompanying soundtrack are subperb, alone making the DVD or Blu-Ray purchase worthwhile. Expand
  68. May 3, 2011
    Amazing visually - I really wish I had the chance to watch this movie in theaters in 3D. I wasn't expecting too much from the plot, but I actually really liked it. And the score by Daft Punk is really sweet. Overall, I really enjoyed Tron: Legacy.
  69. Apr 28, 2011
    Another fantastic film from disney, TRON is, and will remain, one of the best movies i have ever seen, the concept has been brought to life in a new way with twists to thrill even watchers of the 60's version will love.
    it is a must watch, if not for the slightly confusing story, then for the effects, if not for the effects, then just to say you watched a great movie, but if not even for
    that, then just to be cool. Expand
  70. Apr 27, 2011
    I really enjoyed TRON-Legacy, perhaps not so much because of the story, but the fact that the visuals and music were stunning. The story was pretty normal and rather clichéd; and as stated in previous reviews actually rather weak. However, the fact that there was the fantastic soundtrack by the French dance geniuses Daft Punk which were so fantastically intertwined with superb visuals that really made the film stand out. I was perhaps slightly dissapointed with some of the rather lacklustre acting performances, but hey, when the visuals and soundtrack are as brilliant as that, who gives a **** Expand
  71. Apr 23, 2011
    The film to be frank was a good one although i didnt understand the plot until near the end i enjoyed it it would have got an 9/10 or 10/10 but the ending lacked something
  72. Apr 23, 2011
    This movie is the embodiment of mediocre. I love the original, even though it too had it's moments of poor writing. Yet it was really original for it's time. This one loses some of the originality, and has way too many terrible lines. Even the elder Flynn throws out way too many 80's slang words. This movie is mostly a cash in on a movie that has become a cult classic. The on redeeming quality is the amazing special effects. Yet the story is weak, the dialogue is poor, and much of the acting sub par. Expand
  73. Apr 21, 2011
    Fantastic as the visuals are, the story has some big logic holes (Why would the son wait till he's nearly 30 to look for his dad at his old arcade?) as is the movie is a bit short sighted at the goals of what the fans of the original wanted to see. It was good to see a lot of the original cast showing up for thier old roles, but the ending left me cold much the way matrix 3 did. Thankfully the plot left plenty of openings for a sequel. Expand
  74. Apr 20, 2011
    I'll be the first to tell you that the acting, plot, and screenwriting in TRON are nothing to give awards about, but I still enjoyed the movie immensely. Here's why- IT'S FUN! This movie is an absolute joy to watch. The visual effects are astounding; the computer-generated landscapes breathtaking. The action scenes are exciting and the plot is just absurd enough to keep you excited. A real joy to watch, just don't think about it too much. Also, the soundtrack by Daft Punk is perfection. I hope to see more cinematic work from them in the future. Expand
  75. Apr 20, 2011
    This movie was an absolutely great film. It had action, suspense, and Jeff Bridges himself. Who could ask for more? Just like the original TRON, this film has not been reviewed great by critics, but is still fantastic.
  76. Apr 19, 2011
    Highly enjoyable movie. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought it was a fresh take on an old classic and found the main characters believable. The special effects were good and I was mostly able to forget that I was watching a Disney movie. I especially liked the sound track and have been a fan of Daft Punk for years.
  77. Apr 12, 2011
    This is a great visual specticle and the characters really come to life. The story isn't much but its not awful. This movie does a great job entertaining and if yyou expect just that, then you will enjoy it.
  78. Apr 10, 2011
    Visually this is a very entertaining movie. I saw it first in Imax 3D and it was amazing. I thought that it would not transition well to TV. However, I watched it recently on TV, and while not as spectacular as on the big screen , it was still very good. The plot is pretty weak though. Itâ
  79. Apr 8, 2011
    i never thought that walt disney can make a movie like this.i never watch the old tron but this movie was superb.i realy enjoyed it.from the start to the end there is nothing could feel bad for me.the action is superb for a disney movie,though it contains only one scene with only one drop of blood.if u watch this u will feel how fascinating the music is in this movie.daft punk had done their very best in this.the visual is very good and inside the grid the cgi is stunning,forget cgi in avatar.light cycles are created miraculously.i have nothing bad to say about this movie but best in everything. Expand
  80. Apr 5, 2011
    I watched the original about 2 weeks prior to watching this sequel.

Great visuals, great sounds (way to go Daft Punk), great acting from Jeff Bridges who really makes the movie.

Not amazing, or ground-breaking by any means, but a polished and well-treated production.
  81. Apr 2, 2011
    The only positive things about this movie are the special effects and Jeff Bridges. Their plot was incredibly bad, almost to the point where I left the movie theatre. If you can overlook writing and a plot that any amateur could have done, the special effects are worth seeing, but I wouldn't waste my time on it knowing what I know now.
  82. Mar 25, 2011
    Visually fantastic, with amazing music and great action scenes, but the plot is uninspired and the story feels very much like a cop-out. Good popcorn flick, but no one will remember it 20 years from now
  83. Mar 20, 2011
    This movie was great. To some people it may not be because they saw the original. Like people like me i did not. So i think it was good. everyone held their role and the story line was very interseting
  84. Mar 15, 2011
    despite , the stunning visuals in the grid, the movie lacks the tempo and does not get to a convincing end. after it began a perfect way , the first half ran well. second half entered back into the same kind of revenge drama. all the characters in the movie had no life. sam and flynn characters needed a much better life to the movie. soundtrack is different. rest all are ok. finally tron: legacy begins for the best. ends as a dumb movie. Expand
  85. Mar 14, 2011
    This could have been such a great movie. Visually it is simply amazing, the art direction is great, and the CG in general is amazing (with the exception of the young jeff bridges). But after the first half hour the story becomes boring and unfocused. The slow action sequences do not help either to push the story forward, and after 2 hours you are begging for the film to finish. This is what happens when you give such a complicated film to a new comer director, and some tv screenwriters (as good as they are, the film story format is quite different from tv). Expand
  86. Mar 14, 2011
    I went to the movies with my 9yr old son not knowing what was showing, he just wanted to watch something 3D. So we booked TRON: Legacy. I knew nothing about it so I went in with a fairly open mind (it was particularly open to catching up on some sleep). To my surprise I really enjoyed it. The visuals were amazing, even if the 3D wasn't up to much, and the audio blew me away. The story was pretty cool although there were a few "how did we end up here from where we were" moments. I don't know if it would be the same watching it at home unless I had a kick-ass home cinema system, which I don't! Really enjoyed this one. Expand
  87. Mar 12, 2011
    Eventually saw this movie, it was better than i was expected, at first for it's plot, which is quite interesting, however ending was very ''casual'' and expectable with some traditional Hollywood tricks, which slightly disappointed me, but overall this really good, with spectacular design and soundtrack, but it doesn't matters against main idea of the film- Seeking of perfection.
  88. Mar 9, 2011
    I loved this movie. It felt like a movie 100% geared towards me. The details of the TRON universe are impossible to explain in a movie such as this. It touches on things but does not go into detail, nor can it. Considering the world of TRON was made up by 1 person, how interesting can the world ultimately be. The only X factor is the "race" of digital beings Jeff Bridges discovers but yet are all extinct but 1. Anywho....visuals are amazing and that is what this movie is all about to be honest. I wish there was more in terms of a universe or sequal material but there isn't and I'm ok with that. I walked away from the movie feeling satisfied, the ending was acceptable in terms of liking the movie and being able to walk away. I recommend to see but yet not try to "grasp" every detail, just accept. Expand
  89. Mar 6, 2011
    Tron: Legacy has really good special effects. I think thats it. Movie was interesting at times but the rest is just really boring. Couldn't really understand the story (probably because I didn't see the original). The special effects were really good but it overshadows everything else.
  90. Mar 4, 2011
    An excellent movie. Once in a while the critics are wrong and this movie is a perfect example. It follows the plot of the original and both the visuals and the music are astounding. Definitely worth to see.
  91. Feb 22, 2011
    Delivers what you'd expect. Mind-blowing visuals and a storyline on-par with the original -- take that as you will. In any case, I didn't blink for two hours. If you do see TRON Legacy, I suggest a RealD performance over an IMAX 3D one, preferably on an AMC Theaters' ETX screen. This is how I viewed it after reading these two articles: -------------- 1.) http://bit.ly/dHoUAL -------------- 2.) http://bit.ly/hIVMvw -------------- In any case, it will just not be the same on your TV so try to see it in theaters. -------------- Check out my taste in movies here: http://bit.ly/MyMovies Expand
  92. Feb 19, 2011
    Its really not worth watching. No seriously. The graphics are gr8.... The weapon used is a frisbee i mean come on seriously. The vehicle was sexy. And costumes were how do i put this ahhh awkward. yah. The story was just fine. The background was plain n more empty(in the program). Ya dats abt it.
  93. Feb 14, 2011
    Do NOT see this movie. Although the costumes, visual effects, and sounds are state of the art, the rest of this movie just sucks. Although Jeff Bridges once again comes through in his acting, its not enough to make this movie watchable
  94. Feb 9, 2011
    I took my younger brother to see this movie, and we wanted to walk out of the theater it was so boring. This movie was trully disapointing. The begining was pretty good, but then got boring, and the ending was completely predictable. I watched the origanal Tron and it was very good, and sadly this movie killed it. WASTE OF MONEY!
  95. Feb 8, 2011
    A masterpiece that definitely lives up to its predecessor. However, I don't get why some critics are whining about the script/plot. It seriously wasn't that hard to follow. Personally, I had a harder time following Inception's plot, and I saw the damn movie twice!
  96. Jan 30, 2011
    If you are a big fan of the original then you will probably like this movie. Otherwise, don't waste your time. The CGI of young Jeff Bridges is mediocre and distracting throughout the film. Weak story. Very predictable.
  97. Jan 26, 2011
    Definitely a solid movie. People who were dedicated to the original film will most likely be disappointed, but lets face it folks. The original was nothing more that a cult phenomena. Its a good movie with a sub par plot but decent action sequences. The evolution of the like cycles is a needed advancement and really brought up the would feel. I enjoyed it and had a good time watching it.
  98. Jan 25, 2011
    The movie was a spectacular show with regards to its special effects. The story is however a bit off what would have been was for Disney to let another studio handle this to increase its action sequence and improve its script. What I can say was that this movie combined with Daft Punk's score made it a truly remarkable piece of work.
  99. Jan 24, 2011
    I think the critics underestimated the potential this movie has, not only is it good eye candy but it is also a good sequel to one of Disney's greatest live action sci-fi hits.

1. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Dec 17, 2010
    When director Joseph Kosinski flips the switch on action, TRON: Legacy is entertaining enough. Especially in 3D IMAX, with a mega-audio system booming Deft Punk's droning Xbox-ready musical score, nearly drowning out the collisions.
  2. Reviewed by: John DeVore
    Dec 17, 2010
    Tron: Legacy will only be enjoyed by men in their thirties and early forties searching for a Proustian moment.
  3. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Dec 17, 2010
    That's the culture we live in, where the once-proscribed Pleasure Principle has become iron law and where the recycled, bloated, fish-belly emptiness of something like TRON: Legacy carries boredom to extravagant new heights.