• Studio: A24
  • Release Date: Apr 4, 2014
6.7

1. Apr 6, 2015
    If I could give this film an 11 I would. Having loved the book I was concerned to hear that Glazier had altered the film narrative. But only a few frames in and I already could tell it was going to be incredible. A film that relies mostly on the emotional response from the audience to tell the story, many filmgoers won't connect having been so used to the overly absurdist films of today.If I could give this film an 11 I would. Having loved the book I was concerned to hear that Glazier had altered the film narrative. But only a few frames in and I already could tell it was going to be incredible. A film that relies mostly on the emotional response from the audience to tell the story, many filmgoers won't connect having been so used to the overly absurdist films of today. But this film is a classic. Fantastic Expand
  2. Mar 28, 2015
    There is no way this movie was made to be watch while not under the influence. This is the worst, most boring, most stupid movie I've ever seen. There is no plot and no explanation at any point of what's going on. The characters don't have names and barely speak. The "critics" have no idea what a good movie is, because this certainly isn't one. To be fair it's more like a 2/10 due toThere is no way this movie was made to be watch while not under the influence. This is the worst, most boring, most stupid movie I've ever seen. There is no plot and no explanation at any point of what's going on. The characters don't have names and barely speak. The "critics" have no idea what a good movie is, because this certainly isn't one. To be fair it's more like a 2/10 due to Scarlett Johansson's full frontal nudity, but I'm giving it a 0 to balance out the ratings, because all kidding aside this is the worst movie ever made. Like worse than Manos Hands of Fate Expand
  3. Mar 13, 2015
    A very interesting film about the humanization of an alien. It's quite bizarre what we see on screen and because of that people might dislike it but after the script is being developed you learn how to enjoy it. It's not a typical ET film with a weird creature and a lot of action since Glazer focus on Johansson's killings (they're not violent as you might think) and how she starts toA very interesting film about the humanization of an alien. It's quite bizarre what we see on screen and because of that people might dislike it but after the script is being developed you learn how to enjoy it. It's not a typical ET film with a weird creature and a lot of action since Glazer focus on Johansson's killings (they're not violent as you might think) and how she starts to change after a a long time on Earth. With an incredible score, Under the Skin is an amazing film about an alien who starts recognizing itself as a human being and trying to live and act like one. Johansson is magnificent! Expand
  4. Mar 12, 2015
    Picked this up tonight because it was $11 at my local MovieStop in addition to the awesome reviews and interesting plot. If you're just wondering if it's good or bad and don't wanna read a review I'll tell you, in short, yes it is good, but it's certainly not for everyone.

The movie itself begins with something similar to a 2001-Esque intro. The pacing is very slow, and is hard to keep the casual moviegoers attention, but to art movie fans, there are plenty of symbolic and artistic qualities shown throughout. There are only a few words spoken but the images are very interesting. They sort of give this movie a dreamy quality. Now with all of that said, there isn't much else to say. I probably would've enjoyed it more had I known what to expect, because I certainly wasn't expecting to see what I saw. There is lots and lots AND LOTS of nudity so this isn't a family-gathering type of movie. My friend and I enjoyed it, although the reviews are a bit too high. My sister, who is more casual with movies absolutely loathed it. I say go for it if you're feeing whimsy. It's an interesting piece to say the least.
  5. Mar 12, 2015
    Stunning experience - weird, intriguing, mysterious, brilliant, provoking, masterpiece. The audio/sountrack is a key driver in completing the film's visuals and beautiful cinematography. The acting is spot on - love the natural feel of the victims and Scarlett is brilliant (although I would say there's an imbalance of character when she becomes scared at the end - thinking she should beStunning experience - weird, intriguing, mysterious, brilliant, provoking, masterpiece. The audio/sountrack is a key driver in completing the film's visuals and beautiful cinematography. The acting is spot on - love the natural feel of the victims and Scarlett is brilliant (although I would say there's an imbalance of character when she becomes scared at the end - thinking she should be tougher than humans). McWilliams is totally creepy and perfect, and his biking skills are insane! In one scene where the camera is following him he's pulling away on the camera/car on curvy wet roads and they're going fast...awesome scene, got my heart pumping. They style of this film is similar to Kubrick eerie 2001 and Eyes Wide Shut. I went into watching this film without a shred of knowledge, and I plan to watch it again - love the soundtrack and audio - absolutely eerie and feels out of this world. Beautiful Scotland scenes, touches many human emotions, lots of symbolism, it'll make you think, draw your own conclusions. Highly recommended for those who love contemporary art and film, and have an open mind. Only drawback is wish it was longer. Can't wait for director Jonathan Glazer's next film -- 10/10 Expand
  6. Mar 4, 2015
    Poorly explained plot with lots of gaps and heavily deviated from the book.

If aliens have the technology to reach earth then why harvest the odd human here and there - lots of energy used for low returns, surely they would have advanced nano-tech and bioengineering to synthetically produce whatever they want if they can travel the vast distance. Save yourself wasted time and avoid.
  7. Feb 18, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Long waitings for those who doesn't like sensorial movies (intentionally dragged) or feel it not so absorbing or whatever lest disgusting. The insensibility of Johansson's character by what is typically human is terrifying. Her wanderings stops in a slaughterhouse art-movie, over a syllogism of fragmented images where the black stuff and the annoying sound are the materialization of the Johansson's human emptiness. Maybe once banished, some experiments for feel like humans (eat, sex) come back to her with disgusting aversion and put she lost in the mist of peculiar human nature. Human cognitive world is as annoying to "they" as the plain life for/of some of us. She then tasted be preyed by weird human inhumanity of a sort of men (as the same of her own kind of fellows). Fixing of human skin by other kind of taxidermist, the visitors wrenching out the resemblance of humanity that is present in all men for disguise of some. There is a strong appeal in this experimental movie, cumbersome and disturbing. Expand
  8. Feb 7, 2015
    The only good thing about this movie is that it allowed me to replace Saw 3 as the worst movie I've ever seen. If someone wanted to torture me they'd just have to make me watch this completely useless and pointless piece of crap again.
  9. Jan 27, 2015
    The scene-to-scene change was almost TOO obtuse, so that it was close to confusing rather than cool and bizarro (suddenly the beach scene appeared and who was who and was that person drowning?) but the movie was still fascinating and the ending was great - once I saw the ending, I started making sense of the rest of it.
    It is the kind of movie I think about long after I've watched it - a
    It is the kind of movie I think about long after I've watched it - a rarity these days! The music really added too it...my non-sci fi pal announced that she was falling asleep but stuck it out.
  10. Jan 25, 2015
    If you wanted to see this movie just because of Scarlett Johansson and you don’t really like slow-paced movies, then I am afraid you should see another movie.

For me, I enjoyed this movie despite its slow-paced story. I never expected to be immersed watching this movie as its plot slowly unveils itself. There might have been many interpretations what this movie is about so in my own

There might have been many interpretations what this movie is about so in my own interpretation, the story is told from an alien humanoid point of view of what human life is like and how she tries to adapt the world around her. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is what the movie is trying to tell.

The best part about this movie was its direction and cinematography. It’s what made this movie worth my time to watch thanks to its eye appealing cinematography. Not to forget is the score of this movie in which enhances the movie experience for me so much that it literally gave me chills in the backbone.

Scarlett Johansson played her role brilliantly in a very ambitious art house movie. She is a very good listener on what the director wants her to do and she had a good improvise timing on many scenes where she has to improvise. She shows that she isn’t just some actress with a pretty face, she is a serious actress who will do what’s tasked to her.

Under The Skin is a great art-house movie with great performance and on screen presence of Scarlett Johansson and eye-appealing cinematography and direction but this movie is not for everyone to see.
  11. Lyn
    Jan 18, 2015
    Do they give a Weirdest Film Oscar? We have a winner! I get it -- critics looove Scarlett Johansson, whether they get to see her naked body (this film) or are forced to imagine it ("Her"). And she is luminous in this arty movie ... drivingdrivingdriving stripping, drivingdrivingdriving stripping, fastening her alien eyes on gullible Earthlings willing to follow her anywhere. TheDo they give a Weirdest Film Oscar? We have a winner! I get it -- critics looove Scarlett Johansson, whether they get to see her naked body (this film) or are forced to imagine it ("Her"). And she is luminous in this arty movie ... drivingdrivingdriving stripping, drivingdrivingdriving stripping, fastening her alien eyes on gullible Earthlings willing to follow her anywhere. The creepy-crackly soundtrack is apt but can't quite make up for the lack of meaningful dialogue. If I hadn't read about the sci-fi subtext, I would have been even more mystified, and that's my main problem with the film. If it doesn't make sense without advance research, something's wrong. Expand
  12. Jan 10, 2015
    I absolutely loved this book but the movie, what a waste of time. After the the first 15 mins I discovered you can fast forward this entire film at 2x and not miss a thing. Everything is so agonisingly drawn out and with absence of any meaningful dialogue it actually feels like you're watching in normal time! The whole thing is Scarlett driving or standing with a dopey slack jawedI absolutely loved this book but the movie, what a waste of time. After the the first 15 mins I discovered you can fast forward this entire film at 2x and not miss a thing. Everything is so agonisingly drawn out and with absence of any meaningful dialogue it actually feels like you're watching in normal time! The whole thing is Scarlett driving or standing with a dopey slack jawed expression - it's not remotely sexy or entertaining to watch her, nothing is conveyed, and not even for the occasional absence of her clothes is it worth sitting though this huge stinking pile or nonsense. Expand
  13. Jan 4, 2015
    Although I found it to be a tad more puzzling than need be to convey such a simple tale, the imagery pays off in silver dollars. Scarlett plays a very sterile creature and although its' one of her most low on dialogue roles, actions speak louder than words in this beautifully twisted tale of morality.
  14. Dec 22, 2014
    Visually stunning. Breath-taking. The overall story amazed me, and it's the weirdest i've ever witnessed in a film, esp. with Scarlett Johansson. Despite Scarlett's nudity, the mysteriousness behind what she is intrigued me the most. The director and writer, Jonathan Glazer brought the novel of the same name to life, although i didn't read the book, i still fell in love with this film,Visually stunning. Breath-taking. The overall story amazed me, and it's the weirdest i've ever witnessed in a film, esp. with Scarlett Johansson. Despite Scarlett's nudity, the mysteriousness behind what she is intrigued me the most. The director and writer, Jonathan Glazer brought the novel of the same name to life, although i didn't read the book, i still fell in love with this film, everything a guy like me could ask for Thriller, Sci-Fi, with Scarlett Johansson. Expand
  15. Dec 18, 2014
    An amazing erotic and metaphorical journey about the true meaning of beauty and the analyse of what it is to be a human being, by the hand of a mind blowing performance by Scarlett Johansson, and a terrific score.
    Everything here just works perfectly.
  16. Dec 14, 2014
    This film is visually beautiful, with it's eerie atmosphere with deception theough seduction looming over so many scenes. Scarlett Johansson's performace is certainly one of her most interesting she's done. This film does have a lot of ambiguity to it though as not all is explained clearly or concluded properly, but nevertheless this film is a cinematic gem and should definitely be pick up!
  17. Dec 12, 2014
    I was mesmerized the entire movie. Thank God for directors that don't rely on a heavy classical soundtrack that annoys and distracts. Natural noises, such as wind blowing, footsteps, clocks ticking are far more effective. When music was used it was creepy and atmospheric. The bleak Scottish cityscapes and natural beauty only added to the atmosphere. There are scenes in the film I willI was mesmerized the entire movie. Thank God for directors that don't rely on a heavy classical soundtrack that annoys and distracts. Natural noises, such as wind blowing, footsteps, clocks ticking are far more effective. When music was used it was creepy and atmospheric. The bleak Scottish cityscapes and natural beauty only added to the atmosphere. There are scenes in the film I will never forget. I thought Scarlett Johansson was terrific, although I'm already a big fan of hers. I don't need a complete story tied up in a bow for satisfaction, this little slice of Sci Fi was excellent. My only small critiques was that the story of an alien or robot becoming sympathetic to humans has been done before many times, and the Scottish accents were so heavy I couldn't understand some of the dialogue, but it was not distracting enough to ruin my enjoyment. Not for everyone but if it is your style you will love it. A director to watch for sure. Expand
  18. Dec 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I rated it a 2 because of Scarlett Johansson; if it had been Melissa McCarthy I would have given it a zero.
    The main message of this movie is that life (and this movie) is long, lonely and boring unless you are having sex.
    A "man cave" is one thing but an "alien cave" is a whole different matter.
    One of the messages the movie conveys (which every man knows and no woman will ever believe) is that a man doesn't care what a woman's house looks like, just as long as he's gonna get laid.
    There was another very enlightening concept in the movie - when S.J's character is in the restaurant and all the patrons turn and stare at her and realize that she is an alien because humans never gag on dessert.
    Spoiler alert: Scarlett Johansson's character was played by a black person!
  19. Nov 24, 2014
    Easily the smartest and most interesting film I've seen in 2014. Scarlett Johansson offers a brilliant performance- subtle at the start with an increasing sense of emotional peril as she loses her "human" exterior but seems to gain an inner humanity.

The story follows her change from heartless, unemotional and detached alien doing her job of collecting specimens, (or skins) for an unsaid nefarious purpose, to her bonding with humanity to the point that she betrays her employer/fellow aliens as she tries to rather hopelessly join the local earthlings and taste the joys and pains of humanity.

The film handles this in such an abstract and original way that it takes effort to keep up. It is not a film for those who want to leer at naked Johansson- which results in the negative scores, which, if you think about it, is really funny.

This is a film of the quality found in the directorial hands of a very few directors- Antonio and Kubrick spring to mind. It demands we watch it at it's own pace, and it moves away from the regular trappings of standard sci-fi fare into more artsy, thinking realms.

The performances of many of Scarlett's male victims seem natural and unforced- you really get the feeling she is preying upon people on our "real earth" as we pass through shopping malls and drab, regular, lower middle class places. This wildly complements the scenes aboard the alien's den, which are stark, artistically blank canvases. The effect is jarring and unsettling.

Some viewers complain about a "lack of story", but I didn't find this true at all. Johansson's brilliant double metamorphosis from lovely perfect human exterior with it's cold, calculating inhuman interior, into just the opposite- an alien monstrosity which now possesses empathy, joy, curiosity, pity and fear- is a might and moving transformation, and for this viewer, following this path is what gives Under the Skin it's unique look at the human condition, from a perspective I had not visited before.

And that is what film, when it is art, is all about.
    Beautiful and horrific at the same time, this magnificent film reminds me of that similar balance of humanity and terror found in the equally wonderful Swedish vampire film, Let the Right One In.

This movie is for those who like real contemplation after their films- definitely not for the quickie gore/sexy nude actress crowd, nor the thrill ride set either, and I expect having Scarlett in the lead role, and the knowledge that she bares all here, (more than most actors ever will in the most extraordinary ways), probably has led many to expect an entirely different sort of experience than this smart, beautifully original motion picture.
  20. Nov 22, 2014
    Under the Skin is a great example of a film that wants to be more than it is, which ruins what it is. The film wanted to be very elusive and deep, but ultimately wound up being incredibly dull and uninteresting. On top of that, it was essentially like eavesdropping on a conversation between two people you do not know and you hear one of them tell the other a story. Along the way, you pickUnder the Skin is a great example of a film that wants to be more than it is, which ruins what it is. The film wanted to be very elusive and deep, but ultimately wound up being incredibly dull and uninteresting. On top of that, it was essentially like eavesdropping on a conversation between two people you do not know and you hear one of them tell the other a story. Along the way, you pick up some details and know what is going on, but you never really feel involved in the conversation and, ultimately, the story does not really have any kind of impact on you. That is this film. It tried so hard to be deep that it never really made you feel involved and care about the characters involved. On top of that, it never truly develops any character, namely because it never established any of them. This one did nothing with its characters for many reasons, the main one to me being that they wanted it to seem more artsy than it truly was, which was off-putting.

Now, there are some positives, namely the incredible cinematography. There are some seriously gorgeous shots in this one that truly floored me to the point that I really wanted to love this film. Scarlett Johansson was also very good here, even though her lines were limited. As a whole, Under the Skin is a beautiful film that lacks any true substance or quality beyond its looks. There is nothing under the skin about this one.
  21. Nov 22, 2014
    This is the worst piece of sh1t i 've ever watched in my life. DO NOT WASTE your precious hours of life, watching this abomination. Even thinking about it makes me wanna puke. You may thank me in advance.
  22. Nov 20, 2014
    I can't help it I loved this movie. Great visually. Excellent creepy sounds and music score. Looking back however I wish the plot and some scenes were understandable. I know it's based on a novel but a film should be able to stand on it's own in telling it's story.
    I understand some things can be left to our imagination,
    but 1)what happened to the swimmer? 2)what in the hell went down
    I understand some things can be left to our imagination,
    but 1)what happened to the swimmer?
    2)what in the hell went down with the diseased man?
    3)Why was there a small group of aliens (human form/bikers) already there?
    So I will be a bit shocked if this gets a best picture nomination although I loved it anyway.
    I mean there are critics raving about this movie as one of the best of the year. Seriously? I mean did seeing Scarlet naked really rock some of these critic's worlds that much or what?
  23. Nov 7, 2014
    Really, this film is flawless. Scarlett Johansson is fantastic, as in fact are all of the supporting cast members. Visually it is one of the most stunning and captivating films I have ever seen. The soundtrack alone makes this film a cut above the rest. And it also contains strong emotional moments, I cried at I think three separate points of the film, all for different reasons.
  24. Oct 28, 2014
    Wow! This movie is cool! It has a slightly slow start, and it's a touch low budget, but, the movie as a whole is a true cinematic masterpiece! If you like your sci-fi mixed with your horror, AND a lil thrill, don't even think twice, rent this one!
  25. Oct 24, 2014
    Dumbest movie ever
    Biggest waste of time in my life
    Nothing good ever happend in this movie
    Just when you think it might have a slite chance of picking up and something interesting is going to happen...BOOM,,,it doesnt
    Ugh i was so dang mad when this ended. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE movie
  26. Oct 22, 2014
    While I was extremely disappointed at the end of the movie, I don't want to give a scathing review. This film is meant to be watched several times. It's meant to be studied, and I didn't study it.

As a work of art, this movie shines. As a science-fiction movie, this movie fails utterly. The science fiction aspects are cast aside, as if the details are unimportant. Who are they? Where are they from? What are they doing? What do they want? If you're watching the film as a piece of art, the answers don't really matter. But as someone who enjoys science fiction, the film ended prematurely before most of the questions were answered, or in some ways even addressed.

Under The Skin's merit lies almost entirely in its subtle, deeper analysis. As a viewer, we're not expected to enjoy the movie without a considerable amount of effort on our part. This is not to say that all movies should spoon-feed a plot to the viewer, but I think there is a healthy balance between story-telling and allegory, and this film seems miss that happy medium.
  27. chw
    Oct 13, 2014
    Under the Skin was odd. There are no names said in the movie, and it's sometimes hard to understand. Otherwise, it is pretty good, and you also get to see Scarlett Johansson naked, so...
  28. Oct 12, 2014
    Mysterious and mind-blowing after you unlocked it,Under the Skin is a fantastic Sci-Fi & Fantasy movie,centered on human kind's perspective of beauty.
  29. Sep 30, 2014
    Simple flow diagram for this movie:

Do you like Arthouse movies? | | Yes No | | Do you like Scarlett Johanssen? Do you like Scarlett Johanssen? |
    Simple flow diagram for this movie:

Do you like Arthouse movies?

| |

| |

Do you like Scarlett Johanssen? Do you like Scarlett Johanssen?

| | | |

Yes No Yes No

| | | |

Watch this film Watch this film Don't watch this film Don't watch this film
  30. Sep 28, 2014
    The king's not wearing any clothes! Really, can't believe that the critics like this movie so much. Reminded me of a Bergman movie with less happening or "Waiting for Godot" with no dialogue. No story. No moral. Many loose ends. Highly recommend you skip this movie even if it is free.

All this is initially fascinating, and then progressively less so. The problem is the usual serial-killer issue – things, no matter how weird and kinky, get repetitive.
  2. Reviewed by: Steven Rea
    Apr 18, 2014
    A deeply creepy and mysterious noir.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Apr 18, 2014
    Under the Skin is, in short, a film that does just that: gets under one's skin, shining a light on what it means to be human -- even if what we end up seeing is something less than comforting.