Undertow

7.0

1. AntonP.
    May 9, 2005
    If you are going to copy "Night of the Hunter" at least try to do it better.
  2. JaimeG.
    Oct 30, 2004
    Jamie Bell is the best. A great actor.
  3. Greg
    Jun 2, 2005
    Not bad acting by actors portraying creeps. This movie was slow and dour and unengaging.
  4. RyanF.
    Mar 9, 2009
    One of the most inane movies I've seen. Jamie Bell's performance is the only reason it gets any points at all.
  5. BrianR.
    Jan 18, 2005
    One of the best films of 2004.
  6. dudave
    May 2, 2005
    Green's work doesn't seem to have a coherent vision this time. The scenes that feel improvised mostly work, but the scenes that tell the exposition are dead in the water. Jamie Bell is good, but overall I wouldn't recommend this. Lame ambiguous ending, too. See The Return or Limbo instead.
  7. BrianS
    Oct 22, 2004
    Jamie Bell is going to be a big star.
  8. LourdesL.
    Oct 29, 2004
    The actors did a great job adn the director if a genious.
  9. John
    Jan 25, 2005
    I'm shocked by the low comments from critics. From the incredible opening title sequence, I knew I was in for something very special. If Dogville hadn't come out this past year, Undertow would have been #1 of the year by a long shot. I was mesmerized by it. Completely.
  10. ScottW.
    Jun 21, 2005
    Poorly written. Poorly acted. Poorly directed. Like a band playing out of tune with a conductor who has a tin ear. I'm surprised that this wasn't universally panned. A southern lit attempt that is utterly lacking in nuance.
  11. Eldon
    Jun 6, 2005
    I see some of the nice things the "critics" are saying about this movie, Roger Ebert I have respect for, but Roger and the rest of them have missed the mark on this one. The only thing worthy of viewing in this movie is Jamie Bell. He's the only magic the movie has. Josh Lucas is terrible in this movie. His acting looks dialed in and flat, he's a wash in this one. I could say a I see some of the nice things the "critics" are saying about this movie, Roger Ebert I have respect for, but Roger and the rest of them have missed the mark on this one. The only thing worthy of viewing in this movie is Jamie Bell. He's the only magic the movie has. Josh Lucas is terrible in this movie. His acting looks dialed in and flat, he's a wash in this one. I could say a lot more and I won't. So, unless you are a huge Jamie Bell fan and you have to see everything he does, SKIP this movie. Expand
  12. TonyB.
    Sep 14, 2005
    Well-acted...that's the best thing about this slow and ponderous film. The plot has too many contrivances for its own good, and the cinematography, while frequently quite effective, sometimes becomes pretentious.
  13. K.A.
    Jan 28, 2006
    Completely mesmerizing mood piece. Wonderully insightful and original; come on people! open your eyes.
  14. johnr
    Mar 24, 2008
    Folks, you just don't get it. I live in the south, where people say and do crazy things, and too often die tragically. Melodrama and death are centrpieces of southern culture. Also, the relationships between the adult characters are spot on (not bad acting).
  15. Oct 23, 2010
    Not a bad movie by any stretch, and clearly the work of a talented filmmaker, but the pace was sluggish rather than thoughtful and I felt that at the end I was left more tired than breathless. Undertow may be worth seeing for the visuals, which are breathtaking, but the story and character are too thin.
  16. Aug 19, 2011
    I cannot understand the harsh negative reviews. Yeah, some of the scenes of the "Uncle Deel" could have been better but the movie belongs to the boys and I dare anyone not to be deeply touched them. Glass's score fitted like a glove. I was spellbound.
  17. Nov 28, 2014
    Undertow is one of those movies that you don't really know what's going on.Even if the movie is slow and we exactly know who the characters are it stays difficult to understand the movie.The outside is beautiful and the actors are good but the little boy is annoying when he eats everything he sees.

1. The naturalistic style of the film is completely at odds with the hokey melodrama.
  2. Reviewed by: Scott Foundas
    A deep-fried piece of Southern Gothic that wears its unpleasantness like a merit badge.
    Undertow may prove the least immediately satisfying of Green's films, but it remains an achievement, emotionally rich and rife with biblical and mythic undertones.