Undertow

7.0

1. AntonP.
    May 9, 2005
    If you are going to copy "Night of the Hunter" at least try to do it better.
  2. RyanF.
    Mar 9, 2009
    One of the most inane movies I've seen. Jamie Bell's performance is the only reason it gets any points at all.
  3. ScottW.
    Jun 21, 2005
    Poorly written. Poorly acted. Poorly directed. Like a band playing out of tune with a conductor who has a tin ear. I'm surprised that this wasn't universally panned. A southern lit attempt that is utterly lacking in nuance.
  4. Eldon
    Jun 6, 2005
    I see some of the nice things the "critics" are saying about this movie, Roger Ebert I have respect for, but Roger and the rest of them have missed the mark on this one. The only thing worthy of viewing in this movie is Jamie Bell. He's the only magic the movie has. Josh Lucas is terrible in this movie. His acting looks dialed in and flat, he's a wash in this one. I could say a I see some of the nice things the "critics" are saying about this movie, Roger Ebert I have respect for, but Roger and the rest of them have missed the mark on this one. The only thing worthy of viewing in this movie is Jamie Bell. He's the only magic the movie has. Josh Lucas is terrible in this movie. His acting looks dialed in and flat, he's a wash in this one. I could say a lot more and I won't. So, unless you are a huge Jamie Bell fan and you have to see everything he does, SKIP this movie. Expand

1. The naturalistic style of the film is completely at odds with the hokey melodrama.
  2. Reviewed by: Scott Foundas
    A deep-fried piece of Southern Gothic that wears its unpleasantness like a merit badge.
    Undertow may prove the least immediately satisfying of Green's films, but it remains an achievement, emotionally rich and rife with biblical and mythic undertones.