6.9

1. Nov 7, 2012
    A well paced, high octane action thriller that'll have you on the edge of your seat until its predictable finale, which is a let down. It's the 21st century, and to end a movie like this, you need something more than what is here.
  2. j30
    Sep 22, 2011
    Predictable and cheesy acting. Almost feels like a bad 80's movie. The movie, moreover, had it's moments of suspense.
  3. Dec 8, 2012
    One of the better action flicks I've seen in while. Other films try to take the intensity a little too far, but I thought Unstoppable was very well done. Intense from the very first scene to the last. Very good movie! Also, I like Rosario Dawson alot in this!
  4. Nov 24, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The man from the railroad safety campaign knows something about the cargo on the train, the conductorless locomotive that's headed toward a densely populated Pennsylvania city. Molten phenol, according to the visitor, is used in the manufacturing of glue, and naturally, since we're not on "The Darjeeling Limited"(nothing blows up in the 2007 Wes Anderson film), the 777 has the potential to blow s*it up, due to its high combustibility factor. "Can we trust him?" asks Galvin(Kevin Dunn), a corporate higher-up who was speaking to Connie(Rosario Dawson), the train yardmaster, before the happenstantial straggler put in his two cents on the impending crisis at hand. "In a perfect world," responds the woman in charge, and since the unsolicited information that the third party offers is right on the money, these Pennsylvanians, for all intents and purposes, live in a de facto perfect world, where racial differentiation never rears its ugly head. When Connie makes the recommendation that the runaway train be derailed before it reaches a town, a decision which could cost AWWR millions of dollars and precipitate their stock price to nosedive, in an imperfect world, the real world, a racist slip(Connie is non-white) by her supervisor would not be all that surprising, but Galvin, despite being furious with his subordinate for suggesting a plan that's antithetical to business, remains civil throughout the ordeal, without a trace of prejudicial animosity in his voice. This ethnic variance is a pattern, duplicated through the pairing of Frank Barnes(Denzel Washington), the railway old-timer, and the rookie Will Colson(Chris Pine), a situation that's ripe for racial tension, since the "retiring" conductor is assigned with the unenviable task of training his replacement. The warfare in question seems wholly steeped in class, not race, in which Frank objects to Will's blue blood(and all the privileges that money buys you), not white blood. After all, he works in an integrated trainyard; his best buddies are white, and even more importantly, old, and these like-minded veterans have even less patience with the new kid on the block than their black friend, who ironically, is the more open-minded one. In another economic climate, the new kid on the block might be black, but "Unstoppable" is a sign of the times, in which working class whites(like Frank's friends), stung repeatedly by the voraciousness of the corporate machine, would now feel more malice towards the rich than a black man. Frank keeps the peace when the two sides trade barbs about each other's respective generations; he accepts Will's hand when the union "punk" introduces himself. Out on the tracks, the widower father tells Will that his two daughters work at a Hooters(another example of seamless integration), not minding the dirty thoughts which may form in his trainee's mind about the barely legal girls. The world of "Unstoppable" is practically utopian, a "perfect world" as Connie suggests, in the sense that a racial divide doesn't seem to exist. Once the train passes the pastures and corporate headquarters realizes that derailment is the only option available, and the towns of Arkow and Stanton, the two potential destinations for a catastrophic explosion, in an imperfect world, our world, would be determined on the basis of color, not size. But AWWR is not FEMA, and John Galvin is not our former president. Since neither Arkow and the more densely populated Stanton are bastions for a predominantly black or white demographic, Frank and Will are free to banter. Expand
  5. Feb 24, 2011
    Denzel is the kind of actor that could make a boring film seem interesting by his sheer presence, and he nearly does here... The film is too predictable and the once exciting director (Man on fire, True Romance,...) seems to be repeating himself...
  6. Aug 25, 2012
    A very good thriller which was just a little too cliched and cheesy for me to rate it any higher. Still I enjoyed myself and thought that Pine was rather good. Denzel and Tony Scott always tend to produce good action films.
  7. Nov 22, 2010
    Denzel has quit acting and this was a thriller without thrills. There was minimal character development and you knew how it was going to end. I got nothing new out of this film and no sense of satisfaction. I just kept wondering why Denzel keeps taking these easy roles. Isn't that what Nicholas Cage is for?.
  8. Feb 19, 2011
    "Unstoppable...not so fast." ,To me, the only incessantly-driven object was that of a watch, which bestowed upon me more suspense and intrigue than this flat, overly-rushed, under-developed "Speed" defaulter that does far too much walking and not nearly enough talking. Sure, an umanned, speeding train is exciting, but after, say...half an hour, you start to get the point: CGI action shots"Unstoppable...not so fast." ,To me, the only incessantly-driven object was that of a watch, which bestowed upon me more suspense and intrigue than this flat, overly-rushed, under-developed "Speed" defaulter that does far too much walking and not nearly enough talking. Sure, an umanned, speeding train is exciting, but after, say...half an hour, you start to get the point: CGI action shots amidst sub-par acting; what else is new. The only breath of fresh air, albeit a quick one, comes from Washington, who although doesn't quite bring the fire he used to, still can "act" more convincingly than the entire cast combined; and do so with little to no effort. The final verdict: "Unstoppable" is a fast-paced, popcorn-eque action thriller that doesn't have the meat and potatoes to make a film with much to offer. If you are looking for a quick film to fill some time for something later, it's great. Although, if you were actually heading to the theaters to take something away from it, you're better off getting some carry-out and a cheap 24-hour rental. What will it be? Expand
  9. Jan 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Its a very forgettable and predictable movie. Denzels the only reason people even heard about it...it dont keep you into it, its just way to easy to tell whats going to happen next, its a run away train and right away you can tell the future of it. You didnt actually think the train would cause a massive explosion and wreck if Denzels involved..;) Expand
  10. Nov 19, 2010
    This movie was entertaining but so stupid. When towns were evacuated, the people evacuated to the tracks to see the dangerous train rush by. Horses that were stuck on the track in their trailer (and their owners of course risked their lives to rescue them) calmed down after being saved as a huge train thundered by a mere 10 feet away. Denzel could easily run along the top of the cars ofThis movie was entertaining but so stupid. When towns were evacuated, the people evacuated to the tracks to see the dangerous train rush by. Horses that were stuck on the track in their trailer (and their owners of course risked their lives to rescue them) calmed down after being saved as a huge train thundered by a mere 10 feet away. Denzel could easily run along the top of the cars of a speeding train, luckily there is no jerking or wind resistance. It takes 14 thousand police cars to take care of all the people evacuating to the tracks, and there was the obligatory train full of children in harm's way. Give me a break. Oh, and helicopters love to fly very fast, very low, and between rows of trees. In every scene, there were holes big enough to drive a freight train through. I don't mind that a movie violates all laws of physics and of human behavior, but this one overdid it. Rosario Dawson was good, and the movie did entertain me, therefore a 5 and not a 0. Expand
  11. Nov 30, 2010
    Not a bad movie but not a great movie, I'd say it was just decent. I took my out-of-town visiting mother and she enjoyed it (plus she didn't nag me for two hours). As for me, I didn't fall asleep. Chris Pine is fairly annoying and his whole relationship is a distraction that would have been better left out of the movie. Denzel as always does a great job acting, but get rid of theNot a bad movie but not a great movie, I'd say it was just decent. I took my out-of-town visiting mother and she enjoyed it (plus she didn't nag me for two hours). As for me, I didn't fall asleep. Chris Pine is fairly annoying and his whole relationship is a distraction that would have been better left out of the movie. Denzel as always does a great job acting, but get rid of the "that's my Daddy" daughter stuff. Too many films these days try to have a little bit of everything in them (love story, death of a friend, natural disaster, etc.), just give me a good movie with a twisting plot and good no-name actors and I'm good to go. Expand
  12. Mar 23, 2011
    Hmmm...hard movie to rate. I have to say I enjoyed it as I love D. Washington and Capt Kirk is very good in this one as well. But, a bad train can only run so long and this movie ran to long. Also, I can't get over the goofy plot involving Pine and his wife. What's that all about? She leads him to believe she is texting a lover so he draws a gun on another human, AND, he is the badHmmm...hard movie to rate. I have to say I enjoyed it as I love D. Washington and Capt Kirk is very good in this one as well. But, a bad train can only run so long and this movie ran to long. Also, I can't get over the goofy plot involving Pine and his wife. What's that all about? She leads him to believe she is texting a lover so he draws a gun on another human, AND, he is the bad guy!!!!! Yes, there should be a protective order but it should only be to protect the wife from the justice she sorely has coming. By the end of the movie we were cheering for the train to take her out. Expand
  13. Dec 8, 2010
    the name is all wrong it shouldn't of been called UNSTOPPABLE a more fitting name would of been VERY HARD TO STOP, didnt really like it seeming as everyone knew the outcome before the film was even released.
  14. Jun 1, 2011
    After rail workers lose control of a train and it begins barrelling down on rural towns in Southern Pennsylvania veteran rail worker Frank Barnes and Rookie Will Colson are the last hope in tracking it down before it destroys towns and becomes the biggest tragedy in rail history.

Unstoppable is what I would define as a standard action flick. You know the premise, you know there will be tense moments and you know that are only two real possible outcomes. Why I say standard action flick, is because there are going to be attempts mid way through the film to stop this runaway train, but because this plot is focused on the train and it being on the run, you know these attempts are more then likely going to fail. Itâ
  15. Apr 2, 2015
    I love to dislike this film for the following reasons, the film tries to stuff the manufactured drama down your throat. Such as, train passing little girl at a crossing, dramatic news report's, music that sounds like its from an 80s cop thriller and the fact connie treats people like crap. However there are other redeeming scenes.

Denzel and Pine do good jobs. The film is watchable

Denzel and Pine do good jobs. The film is watchable for a bit of entertainment. If you want a slightly alternative train thriller try last passenger.
  16. Mar 18, 2011
    I'm sure that many people have watched this movie based solely on its surprisingly high scores on critic aggregate sites, and now I can count myself among their ranks. Of course, my expectations going in were still low enough that there was no real danger of being disappointed. I knew to expect shallow action, and that's exactly what it delivered, with a side of the good old blue collarI'm sure that many people have watched this movie based solely on its surprisingly high scores on critic aggregate sites, and now I can count myself among their ranks. Of course, my expectations going in were still low enough that there was no real danger of being disappointed. I knew to expect shallow action, and that's exactly what it delivered, with a side of the good old blue collar workers as protagonists/white collar workers as antagonists dynamic thrown in for good measure. There was no more than token interest given to developing the characters, instead pretty much every scene was designed to increase the tension and excitement, and the movie was definitely both tense and exciting as a result. (http://diversionary-tactics.blogspot.com) Expand
  17. Nov 20, 2010
    The main problem I had with this movie is how dull the story line is. Sure its original enough, but common, a train? and too finish the movie was a predicitlbe ending, wasn't compelled at all.

My advice; stick with pelam 123 if you want a good, compelling train movie.

1. Reviewed by: Kyle Smith
    Dec 14, 2010
    I wouldn't want to see five movies like this one each week but it's a cheeky, madcap joyride.
  2. Reviewed by: Roger Moore
    Dec 14, 2010
    this is a straight-ahead ticking clock thriller, with the usual Tony S. trademarks - punchy dialogue and men doing what needs to be done.
  3. Reviewed by: Steven Rea
    Dec 14, 2010
    Scott shoots and edits Unstoppable with roller-coaster momentum and an eye (and ear) on that roaring tonnage of steel.