7.4

1. Jul 23, 2013
    How is this movie so well liked? George Clooney and Vera Farmiga's characters are just completey unlikable and the story almost literally goes nowhere. The most interesting character was Zach Galifianakis' character who appears for less then a minute.
  2. Bobo
    Apr 9, 2010
    Am I the only one who was restless (bored) by this movie? Clooney saved it-just barely-and even he was getting on my nerves.
  3. MarcB
    Jan 4, 2010
    Up In The Air should not be up for Best Picture. An exceptional performance from Clooney can't save a pretentious, overreaching and ultimately elusive screenplay on the modern condition that ends up being as cold and removed as it's protagonist(antagonist depending on how you view it.) One of the worst feelings a moviegoer can experience is the feeling of uncomfortablity and Up In The Air should not be up for Best Picture. An exceptional performance from Clooney can't save a pretentious, overreaching and ultimately elusive screenplay on the modern condition that ends up being as cold and removed as it's protagonist(antagonist depending on how you view it.) One of the worst feelings a moviegoer can experience is the feeling of uncomfortablity and uneasiness with what you're watching unfold onscreen. This movie can be likened to that. It made me feel ashamed of myself and I felt kind of cheapened afterwards. I wanted to get up and out of the theater. Not a pleasant viewing experience by any stretch of ... See Morethe imagination and apparently not by any stretch of the director's imagination, either. It ended up glorifying and at the same time vilifying what it created. I knew I was going to have problems when Mr. Clooney exchanges rapid fire, ultra hip modernist technolouge with Ms. Fermiga about all the different kinds of credit cards they have and use. It felt like foreign language too me. And this was supposed to be a scene showing off the sexy chemistry and banter between the lead male and supporting female costar. Give me a break. Basically, the movie is a generic modern romantic dramedy souped up for disguise with a "bigger" or "deeper" message about capitalism and corporate robots and alienation in the digital age etc etc that gets lost somewhere in the clouds, or, perhaps in the screenplay that dragged me kicking and screaming into its final half hour ( all the while I was praying silently for some genuine heartfelt flimmaking) to some vapid moral swamp where youre supposed to feel cosy at a film that exploits rather than empathizes with all the people whose lives have been ruined by the economy. Miraculous character turnaround aside, Clooney's performance is genuine, heartfelt and exceptional for what it's worth. No matter where this movie takes his character, I always felt he was trying to be believable. It isnt his fault, it's the screenplay. He is the best thing about this strange and unsatisfying film. But didnt you know that it's all about wholesome values like real connections with family, friends, love and smug little voice over narration? Please dont insult my feelings or intelligence Mr. Reitman. I'll let you get away with Juno because that's about a smarmy teenage girl with a heart of gold. But with Up In The Air, I dont know what's worse, that it wasnt honest with its characters, or that it wasnt honest with us, the audience? Expand
  4. ChetB
    Jan 31, 2010
    Can't believe I wasted $11.75 on this steaming pile of garbage. Clooney doesn't so much act as play himself at his most annoyingly charming. The young woman who plays his co-worker is also terrible, her performance reminiscent of a college theater production. The characters are not believable at all. The 'plot' such as it is, is boring, predictable, and childishly Can't believe I wasted $11.75 on this steaming pile of garbage. Clooney doesn't so much act as play himself at his most annoyingly charming. The young woman who plays his co-worker is also terrible, her performance reminiscent of a college theater production. The characters are not believable at all. The 'plot' such as it is, is boring, predictable, and childishly sentimental. If you found this film moving or meaningful, I feeI sorry for you. I could go on but you get the idea. Wish I had paid attention to the user reviews over the critics on this one. If you are a gullible moron who loves, Clooney, you might enjoy this film. Expand
  5. Dwight
    Jan 6, 2010
    I would like to address the comment by Jason M. What does he mean that some critics aren't bought and paid for and then says some are? Which is it? I saw this movie with 3 other couples and everyone hated it. It was depressing with awful casting. George Clooney is so overated by the liberal critics that they kiss his keester no matter what he does. If a movie about flight miles, time I would like to address the comment by Jason M. What does he mean that some critics aren't bought and paid for and then says some are? Which is it? I saw this movie with 3 other couples and everyone hated it. It was depressing with awful casting. George Clooney is so overated by the liberal critics that they kiss his keester no matter what he does. If a movie about flight miles, time management, and being needed to fire people you don't know is your cup of tea then go watch this moss growing on a rock. And for two mismatched people one handsome and the other a bow wow having an affair it was as ludicrous as the dog giving him her home address. This movie was a total contradiction to the first 2 acts and disintergrates before your very eyes. All you need do is look at the box office revenue to know that this drek is being panned by the movie going public. You have been warned. Expand
  6. AnnieG
    Jan 9, 2010
    I don't understand why so many people I have talked to have really enjoyed this movie. Besides the lack of insight and any real felt moments, it makes me question how our society is eroding into this obvious "Real World" fake unmoving robot. With all the thematic epiphanies that one enjoys seeking and later pondering on any good thought out movie, well, this had none. Too obvious and I don't understand why so many people I have talked to have really enjoyed this movie. Besides the lack of insight and any real felt moments, it makes me question how our society is eroding into this obvious "Real World" fake unmoving robot. With all the thematic epiphanies that one enjoys seeking and later pondering on any good thought out movie, well, this had none. Too obvious and also completely void of sympathy or empathy with the main characters, it left me far more angry and removed. True, there are 1 percent that hold 95 percent of the wealth currently in our country, but they are too busy currently covering up financial corporate scandals. How can I be empathetic with someone like this? A classic story but too far a divide for me to feel comfortable even considering. I can let go of my suitcase handle in a much bigger way and hope, pray, that they remove this movie from consideration of best film. What? Because all these worthless remakes and garbage like Knocked Up comes out and this movie has a life message it's supposed to be good? Current? For whom? Why don't we show we this to all the General Motor Workers? A moment for Cher in Clueless who pinned it right " I don't think so...". Expand
  7. Agnes
    Jan 3, 2010
    Critically acclaimed by the bought and paid for professional critics. Universally panned by the movie going public. Depressing and nonbelievable. The casting is awful. And the movie disintergrates in the third act. Avoid.
  8. MarkS.
    Jan 3, 2010
    A two-minute scene featuring the great J.K. Simmons is all the character depth you are going to find in this one. The rest is about as enjoyable as being cramped in coach with whiny people you cannot stand. It never even got off the ground. I was not expecting greatness from it, but I was not expecting it to be an abomination either.
  9. AllanS
    Feb 2, 2010
    An unreal plot, full of holes in its logic. I saw it with 5 other people and all agreed that apart from George Clooney's charisma it has NOTHING going for it!
  10. Aaron
    Apr 8, 2010
    WORST MOVIE EVER MADE (next to The Godfather and Angels in America) JUST horrible, depressing, stupid, George Clooney, Anna Kendrick was SOOO ANNOYING! "wah!wah!" i almost did that crying scene that Anna Kendrick did when the movie was over! RAZZIE AWARD WINNER IN MY OPIONION way overrated!
  11. BRaymond
    Jan 5, 2010
    Sappy. Some laughs. Too much of cute smiles, two pretty/handsome leads showing teeth, dimples, raised eyebrows, practiced, hip expressions. Too clever, by half. All story, no worthwhile plot. Got better at the end.
  12. EichenauerP.
    Feb 5, 2010
    If you haven
  13. MathMan
    Mar 17, 2010
    Has nothing that impressed me,...from the anticlimatic acting from Clooney to a storyline that never seems to go anywhere. It was all pointless.
  14. DavidH.
    Character development?
  15. CarolAnn
    Dec 25, 2009
    Couldn't wait to see this highly praised movie. About 30 minutes into the film I knew I had been had. Just awful with characters that you hate, poor dialogue, and a movie that meanders nowhere. So depressing in this economy and to be released at Christmas? What were they thinking. Word of mouth will doom this terrible work.
  16. KingC.
    Dec 28, 2009
    Ho Ho Ho go see the wonderful movie about firing people for a living just in time for the holiday. Clooney plays an out of touch pathetic loser more interested in flight miles and maximizing his time than people. And then he lets his guard down and gets his just dessert. Awful!
  17. Wyatt
    Dec 25, 2009
    Terrible. I thought maybe this was going to be a satire. Unfortunately I stayed until the depressing end.
  18. JonM
    Mar 2, 2010
    No movie I've seen in the last year has more infuriated me than this boring, bourgeois fluff-piece about Ivy League Grinches having their poor little hearts suddenly grow three sizes and just BURST out their chests. It tells the unremittingly boring tale of a mostly despicable guy who has a despicable and confused affair with an equally confused and despicably adulterous woman, an No movie I've seen in the last year has more infuriated me than this boring, bourgeois fluff-piece about Ivy League Grinches having their poor little hearts suddenly grow three sizes and just BURST out their chests. It tells the unremittingly boring tale of a mostly despicable guy who has a despicable and confused affair with an equally confused and despicably adulterous woman, an affair rife with despicably vacuous, wannabe suave banter. In the course of carrying out his despicable job working alongside and for other despicable people firing other despicable people who just can't FATHOM how to pick up the pieces of their lives after losing out on all the sweet Grand Cherokee-filled promise of their entitled, upper middle class 60-90+k salaries. And Anna Kendrick's performance is most offensive of all. Not a shred of authentic type-A female humanity in her performance, a truly disgustingly low-quality acting performance. People who think Anna Kendrick is worth her salt IN THE LEAST in this performance HORRIFY me. I was APPALLED to see that she was nominated for a Golden Globe for this. Was nobody else moved to vomit by her ridiculously phony parody of an emotional breakdown in the airport with Clooney? Pure broadway bull. All I can imagine on this score is that aging people with ink to spill have ATROCIOUS taste in young actors. And that ridiculous hip hop concert scene with everyone dancing? Yeah, that would have already been a cheesy, condescending appeal to a younger generation back in like 1997. . .it's 2010, you freaking troglodytic wannabe pop-cultural savants. I CAN NOT BELIEVE the praise with which this tripe has been lavished. . .although I CAN imagine that the FILM CRITICS of the world would just ADORE a meditation on a soulless, promiscuously single middle aged man's anomic descent into an emotional isolation of his own creation until at last. . .he has become so estranged from his baby sister that she asks their UNCLE to walk her down the aisle instead of her big brother GEORGE CLOONEY! Can you just IMAGINE?! (who, incidentally, I deeply respect and love in almost everything. I also enjoy Jason Bateman and Danny McBride. I decided the three of them must have lost some bet to get dragged into this unmitigatedly stupid, shlocky and downright sociologically reprehensible movie whose almost boundless crappiness is keenly augmented by a soundtrack straight out of the eighth circle of hell) And for those who think this total piece of crap is somehow "uplifting" or "deeply relevant in light of recent economic blah blah blah", I rebut that the over-arching "oh, our poor down economy" theme smacks revoltingly of noblesse oblige. You know who this "down economy" has hit particularly hard? People who worked for LEHMAN BROTHERS and other types who watch tickers and used to read the Wall Street Journal before they started using it as toilet paper last year because they aren't QUITE SO RICH ANYMORE, you bunch of stupids. You get away with this as a special interest-sponsored Special Presentation on Watching Your Dollar TV on the freaking MONEY Channel. This movie can bite me. Critics of America, your response to this piece of trash means class warfare. You're on. Expand
  19. Eve
    Jan 30, 2010
    What a sorry movie for our (economic) times.
  20. JaimeC
    Jan 18, 2010
    If ratings are given for smugness, then this is a clear ten. The message is that conservative/family values are right and modern life is rubbish. Go see it if you are married and want to feel good about yourself. Strangely it starts off quite well, Anna Kendrick is good, and Clooney plays himself well... only in the third act do the characters start to carry out actions entirely opposite If ratings are given for smugness, then this is a clear ten. The message is that conservative/family values are right and modern life is rubbish. Go see it if you are married and want to feel good about yourself. Strangely it starts off quite well, Anna Kendrick is good, and Clooney plays himself well... only in the third act do the characters start to carry out actions entirely opposite to their personas. When the revelation comes, which has been telegraphed throughout the movie, the reaction is not surprise, but disbelief. Expand
  21. paulk
    Jan 2, 2010
    This is what America has turned into -- heartless, corporate types flying over the landscape collecting mileage points as they destroy peoples' lives. And then we are supposed to sympathize as they realize their own empty and lonely lives.
  22. WellieM
    Jan 2, 2010
    Although well written and acted - this is an extremely depressing view of one man's life. It makes "Michael Clayton" look like "The Hangover".
  23. jackson
    Jan 24, 2010
    Turkey time as this boring film is as depressing as anything you have ever seen. You care zilch for the characters and the third act is a disaster. The ending you can see coming midway thru the movie. Terrible and way overrated.
  24. BK
    Jan 31, 2010
    This movie was totally shallow and very over rated after all the hype it was a complete letdown. Why is George Clooney still in movies? He tries to hard to be cute, his acting is dull & he seems to be a Cary Grant wanna be. The so-called critics can't seem to remember a little thing called entertainment!
  25. paulw
    Feb 21, 2010
    Hated this movie. Underneath all of the supposedly biting social commentary lies the very, very conventional view that everyone really should aspire to the traditional convention of marriage with kids, house with a lawn, barking dogs etc. Presents a downright vilification of those who have chosen to make other 'lifestyle choices' and purports to show how lonely, misguided and Hated this movie. Underneath all of the supposedly biting social commentary lies the very, very conventional view that everyone really should aspire to the traditional convention of marriage with kids, house with a lawn, barking dogs etc. Presents a downright vilification of those who have chosen to make other 'lifestyle choices' and purports to show how lonely, misguided and just plain wrong they are. Clooney discovers this of course when he leaves his jet-set lifestlye to go back to a sisters wedding and finds another sister on the brink of divorce and the married couple unable to put the money together for a honeymoon. The film panders to those who have made the traditional choices in life and aligns those who have chosen not to get married with characteristics of selfishness, lack of compassion and cold-heartedness. of course Clooneys job in the movie is a transient corporate suit charged with the firing of numerous workers and the destroying of their happy family dreams. Really come on - and no married people have ever fired others in the current economy? One last question - if the single life of the middle-aged man really is this vapid and desolate why is mr Clooney himself still unmarried? Expand
  26. alxm
    Mar 23, 2010
    I wanted to watch this movie after the Academy nominations. I kept waiting for it to improve but then it ended and left me feeling like I had just wasted 2 hrs. I am a big fan of G-Clooney but this is one was poor.
  27. Fantasy
    Dec 24, 2009
    Talk about depressing? I go to the movies to be entertained. Let me warn you now. This movie is not funny, the characters are not likable, and the dialogue is uninteresting. The story is about a loser of a man who flies from town to town to fire people. He has no roots nor any real family to speak of. He meets a woman in a hotel bar for what he thinks is a casual sex. Instead of getting Talk about depressing? I go to the movies to be entertained. Let me warn you now. This movie is not funny, the characters are not likable, and the dialogue is uninteresting. The story is about a loser of a man who flies from town to town to fire people. He has no roots nor any real family to speak of. He meets a woman in a hotel bar for what he thinks is a casual sex. Instead of getting better the movie gets even more depressing. You leave the theater feeling down and wondering why live at all? If this is your cup of tea then go and enjoy. But if you want to be entertained and laugh do not waste your time. Avoid. Expand
  28. LionelT.
    Dec 25, 2009
    Are the critics nuts? What's this love affair with Clooney? Another awful depressing movie about a cold hearted company who go around firing people. Do we need to see this with our economy in the tank? And all Clooney cares about is his flight miles. Like anyone cares. Watching a gerbil on a treadmill is about the same as watching Clooney's character.
  29. Virgina
    Dec 26, 2009
    Up In The Air goes Down In Flames in record time. Much overhyped and depressing.
  30. SteveS
    Jan 31, 2010
    Walked out after 30 minutes. Absolutely no plot or character development development. Luckily, the theater management let us go to another movie at no charge. Saw 'The Book of Eli' which probably isn't an Oscar contender but was infinitely better than the mindless trainwreck we walked out of.
  31. Phil
    Apr 13, 2010
    Dreadful. trite. what are you watching that you can rate this a good movie? i'd rather watch paint dry.
  32. H.O.Ward
    Dec 17, 2009
    It was terrible, sprinkled with a few predictable overdone Hollywood scenes. Terrible!
  33. Yvan
    Dec 18, 2009
    A generally smug and annoying piece of garbage.
  34. ChrisK.
    Dec 19, 2009
    It's flat. There's nothing driving it forward. Clooney will keep his job. The young girl will wake up to her heart. Farmiga, a sensational actor, was nearly wasted. Predictable, episodic, dripping phony sentimentality, the picture started going nowhere and ended up there. The critics should get over Clooney and look at the picture itself.
  35. DWilly
    Dec 19, 2009
    Gads, what a terrible movie. While I admittedly hate Jason Reitman
  36. AaronH.
    Dec 25, 2009
    So looking forward to seeing this film. After 40 minutes of this garbage I walked out. Boring!
  37. Happy
    Dec 31, 2009
    An awful abomination of epic proportions. Whoever reviews this stuff should be fired for impersonating a professional critic. Beyond boring and depressing.
  38. MichaelGates
    Dec 14, 2009
    Totally inept. Clooney is more of a cardboard cut-out than the one he carries from city to city. Slick, superficial, telegraphing every punch, this is a shallow, superficial, unfunny, boring would-be exploitation of the current economic malaise. I'd rather be fired than sit through it again.
  39. Clyde
    Dec 28, 2009
    I really did not like this movie, i found some parts to be laugh out loud funny but others didn't think it was and i later found out it was supposed to be serous hmm bad acting anyway the end is bad and the movie itself in my opinion is stupid. its nothing special...i almost wanted to ask for my money back
  40. Mar 30, 2013
    Up in the Air is a film that is tiresome and worthless, with characters I didn't like one bit. What fascinates me the most is how this film can put someone to sleep faster than a lullaby. A pointless dull film.
  41. Jul 3, 2014
    Run away if you see Clooney in a suit next time.
    It's a pathetic movie.I watched 3 clooney movies consecutively after getting overwhelmed by seen 'Burn after reading" it is a very good satire movie.Love that one(congrats to COEN bros,love them too after this movie)
    What is George clooney? an MBA holder working as CFO in one of the MNCs ,if so he has performed very well. But i didn't
    Run away if you see Clooney in a suit next time.
    But i didn't download the movie to see how good he is in corporate affairs.A boring,not at all interesting movie.Good performance by actors.but i hate this movie.I got similar experiences from his recent 2 movies too(Syriana,Michael Clayton).All these films are like some David fincher movie with full of dialogues as if they were made to test the retention skills of actors,no twists,wits,action,comedy,sentiments .They are political movies dealing with contemporary American lives but ..as a movie it doesn't present the matters in a more digestible way with good stands ,but for that purpose a documentary is good don't waste our time by producing such 'Mr.Perfect man in Suite movies'.
  42. Jul 27, 2014
    Have just seen this - though I like GC I CANNOT understand how it got such rave reviews. This film is absolutely crap. Characters whilst well played are unsympathetic, the story goes nowhere - got to the end wondering what was the point of this film? There is none in fact .... I don't need happy endings but I would like an ending - did the writer run out of ideas? Sorry just rubbish

1. Reviewed by: Stephen Farber
    It's rare for a movie to be at once so biting and so moving. If Ryan's future seems bleak, there's something exhilarating about a movie made with such clear-eyed intelligence.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    The timing in the Clooney-Farmiga scenes is like splendid tennis, with each player surprising the other with shots but keeping the rally going to breathtaking duration.
  3. Up in the Air is poised to be a smash, and Clooney--slim, dark, perfectly tailored--glamorizes insincerity in a way that makes you want to go out and lie.