Up in the Air

7.4

1. Sep 28, 2015
    Up in the Air continued Jason Reitman's early hot streak before his more recent missteps and though I prefer Thank You for Smoking and Juno, Up in the Air is still a good film. With a great emotional center and theories on loneliness, happiness, marriage, and purpose in life, the film has a lot to say throughout. The writing is spectacular as is the direction and when the characters feelUp in the Air continued Jason Reitman's early hot streak before his more recent missteps and though I prefer Thank You for Smoking and Juno, Up in the Air is still a good film. With a great emotional center and theories on loneliness, happiness, marriage, and purpose in life, the film has a lot to say throughout. The writing is spectacular as is the direction and when the characters feel hurt, so does the audience. This is largely thanks to the great acting from George Clooney, Anna Kendrick, and Vera Farmiga. However, the true success of the film comes from how real it all feels. It never feels fake and it almost feels as though you are watching a documentary about these regular people. In addition, it was very timely with its release, as it focuses on a guy who fires people for a living and came out in 2009. On the topic of starting over, the film does a very good job and portrays these people with a lot of compassion and honesty. Overall, Up in the Air is a very good film that has a great emotional center that makes it really hit home for people of all ages and features Anna Kendrick's breakout performance, which really stole the show. Expand
  2. Aug 27, 2014
    Jason Reitman + George Clooney + Vera Farmiga + Anna Kendrick = cinematic perfection. Smart and bold. You know it's good when you begin to question your own life.
  3. Mar 30, 2013
    Up in the Air is a film that is tiresome and worthless, with characters I didn't like one bit. What fascinates me the most is how this film can put someone to sleep faster than a lullaby. A pointless dull film.
  4. Sep 15, 2011
    What "Up in the Air" wants us to do is not to watch in boredom equipped with popcorn, but to understand the emotion and the characters the movie has to present to us.
  5. Mar 12, 2012
    I really liked this movie. Solid acting by the cast, An interesting plot, and overall its just a solid film that I really enjoyed watching. Im suprised that the fans dont like it more but hey, I guess its not for everyone. But to me, Its definently worth the watch.
  6. Nov 15, 2012
    The best part of Up in the Air isn't the excellent performances or even the pitch-perfect script, it's how real the movie is, and that comes from Reitman's careful direction.
  7. Mar 31, 2012
    A very boring film. The acting is overpraised so much that it is ridiculous. The critics are so wrong. Everything about it, had nothing new to offer. This movie even makes me more sick of George than I already am.
  8. Jul 15, 2012
    Up in the Air is a fantastic piece of existential character study. Powered by a masterful performance by George Clooney, the movie hits all the right notes before coming to a subtle yet wrenching conclusion. Excelling in all departments from directing to soundtrack, Up in the Air is a must see.
  9. Feb 24, 2013
    Just a terrific film! An honest picture of charming, but flawed, people. Perfectly acted by George Clooney, Vera Farmiga, and Anna Kendrick. Brilliant script, brilliant film!
  10. Mar 16, 2012
    One of my favorite films ever, is amazing, incedible, emotive. And the better... the cast, Anna Kendrick, Vera Farmiga, George Clooney, are amazing. The story can be sad, but the film is fantastic. Up in the Air is a classic.
  11. Jun 26, 2014
    I gave this a 9 before, but I'm going to lower my score now for a few reasons. There are spots in this movie that are somewhat un-engaging and boring. These scenes are at odds with the rest of the movie which is entertaining, lively, and sharply directed by Reitman. The dialogue is realistic, the performances are believable, and there are even some unexpected turns. From a filmmakingI gave this a 9 before, but I'm going to lower my score now for a few reasons. There are spots in this movie that are somewhat un-engaging and boring. These scenes are at odds with the rest of the movie which is entertaining, lively, and sharply directed by Reitman. The dialogue is realistic, the performances are believable, and there are even some unexpected turns. From a filmmaking standpoint the movie is almost flawless. It's just that the audience for this film is somewhat limited. It's being called a comedy, but it's really a straightforward drama. It's not really even a hybrid of the two like Reitman's own Juno or Silver Linings Playbook. It might not be funny, but I'd still take this over the cliché crap that usually comes out of this genre. Expand
  12. Aug 27, 2010
    Jason Reitman's tale of corporate downsizing is bound to strike a chord with moviegoers in our modern recession and was released at the perfect time. However, unlike most topical films, which tend to slide into obscurity after their time in the limelight, I feel 'Up in the Air' will be remembered as a timeless classic which can really reach out to anyone. All three leads (George Clooney,Jason Reitman's tale of corporate downsizing is bound to strike a chord with moviegoers in our modern recession and was released at the perfect time. However, unlike most topical films, which tend to slide into obscurity after their time in the limelight, I feel 'Up in the Air' will be remembered as a timeless classic which can really reach out to anyone. All three leads (George Clooney, Vera Farmiga and Anna Kendrick) are breathtaking in their character roles, each carrying a sense of enigma affixed with their own goals and expectations for love and life, and as always each is compromised along the way. The relationship between Clooney and Farmiga has incredible chemistry, and Kendrick's conjunction of professionalism and idealism was handled perfectly (I smell Oscars here....) Though most of the dialogue is infused with the quick wit you can always expect from Reitman films, this movie is really one of the most devastating and heavy films of the year. It perfectly embodies the journey of middle-age angst just as 'Juno' represented the indifference of smart-ass teenagers, but like 'Juno', it may appeal more to the age group it is depicting. Expand
  13. Dec 25, 2010
    A really entertaining, good film that definitely make you wonder about the American lifestyle and how good and rewarding (or unrewarding) it actually is. With great direction, screenplay and some really good performances, "Up in the Air" manages to make one laugh as well as feel the desperation of Clooney's character. Definitely a film worth watching!
  14. Aug 25, 2012
    I think the critics went slightly overboard when reviewing this film. It is a good film which is funny in places but at times it seems far too stuck up itself to realise when it is waning from the plot. Reitman continues to produce good films but this is not his best work as some would have you believe.
  15. Jan 20, 2011
    It is a simple and spontaneous movie, but it turns out to be deep and inspirational one. The movie directed by Jason Reitman, the young Director and the son of Ivan Reitman. Ivan Reitman known-well as a Producer and acclaimed Director, through his fun and pop corn movies such as: GHOSTBUSTERS (1984), KINDERGARTEN COP (1990), and EVOLUTION (2001). Flip over with his father, Jason ReitmanIt is a simple and spontaneous movie, but it turns out to be deep and inspirational one. The movie directed by Jason Reitman, the young Director and the son of Ivan Reitman. Ivan Reitman known-well as a Producer and acclaimed Director, through his fun and pop corn movies such as: GHOSTBUSTERS (1984), KINDERGARTEN COP (1990), and EVOLUTION (2001). Flip over with his father, Jason Reitman known-well in these recent years as thoughtful and serious but enjoyable dramas like: THANK YOU FOR SMOKING (2005) and JUNO (2007). The trio Casts in thiz movie fill the characters properly. George Clooney once again shows his talent on the one man show, Clooney is one of the Actors could delivers such character with his aura. Vera Farmiga appears a little bit sexy, charming, and loveable. It is a fantastic flirtatious appearance. Anna Kendricks emerges annoying but acquired sympathy in the end, just fit well on her character. The unique story is about Ryan Bingham (Clooney) who is a frequent flyer across the states. His job is to fire people, representing his boss that did not bold enough to do it himself. Maybe for many people, thiz is a life drama movie. But personally for me, thiz is a great romantic movie with the most of scenes contain with tremendous chemistry between Clooney and Farmiga. It has been a long time I did not have such a feeling since LOST IN TRANSLATION (2003). In the end, The movie was convincing us that we need a partner in life. It is ironically played by life-time bachelor Clooney (in the real life-at least until now). Yup, maybe that is true, Everybody needs a co-pilot.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  16. Sep 19, 2010
    One of the best new movies I've seen in a long time. It met all my expectations. With the charm and comedic sensibilities of Broadcast News, the brutal realism of Glengarry Glen Ross and the humanity of Planes, Trains and Automobiles, this movie is a must-see.
  17. Apr 24, 2016
    Even though the film finally turns out to be yet another Hollywood fairy tale, at least it speaks the truth about our Great Recession.

Watch it here for free http://www.watchfree.to/watch-60fa-Up-in-the-Air-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
  18. Sep 1, 2010
    Up in the Air is a wonderful film that I've just seen two times already! George Clooney is one my favorite actors of all time and one of the coolest guys ever and he did really good on his performance. Vera Farmiga & Anna Kendrick did their job really supportive and very clever. The scenes are very good like they travel away to United States with great cinematography with each shot of theUp in the Air is a wonderful film that I've just seen two times already! George Clooney is one my favorite actors of all time and one of the coolest guys ever and he did really good on his performance. Vera Farmiga & Anna Kendrick did their job really supportive and very clever. The scenes are very good like they travel away to United States with great cinematography with each shot of the clouds,cities,and course the entire cast. The story is very interesting way that you see Clooney was traveling to each airport and tells the perfect story about his life that he do all day for working on the company that he fires to everyone in their jobs. I really love this movie of all time and one of the best 2009 films ever! And one of my favorite films in my decade of 2000's. Expand
  19. Oct 9, 2011
    Up in the Air is a movie that I found myself relating to on many levels and its impact I found personal, something that is missing from most movies. The characters are very real, the theme of how boring everyday life can be is interesting and the 3rd act of the film is awesome and memorable. The interviews and theme of people losing their jobs seems relevant on one hand but a little forcedUp in the Air is a movie that I found myself relating to on many levels and its impact I found personal, something that is missing from most movies. The characters are very real, the theme of how boring everyday life can be is interesting and the 3rd act of the film is awesome and memorable. The interviews and theme of people losing their jobs seems relevant on one hand but a little forced and disconnected to the main plot but its only a minor gripe. Up In The Air is great and a must see. Highly recommended. Expand
  20. Sep 11, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i can't see how this movie could end or how i let it start........anna kendrick firing people is exactly what terrible people would want to see......no matter how much she looks good it just can't save the movie from being fired over the internet by me....the only redeemable thing is that she was called a fourth grader......im so glad anna kendrick died in the voices that I might actually go watch it.......being without a job is hard enough without having to see women get jobs with their looks (kendrick) or showing their butt (farmiga) ....i think if a film buff watches this movie twice it's because boredom and loneliness ...... Expand
  21. Jan 6, 2013
    A great movie of a solitary life. Everything in this movie makes me sad and I find it beautiful. George Clooney is back again and he is amazing. The writing is sharp and witty with a fun story about what it's like in the modern society.
  22. Mar 1, 2012
    Although marketed and advertised as a comedy-drama film, this movie truthfully skimps on the laughs but redeems itself in the dramatic sense. However there are so many different themes in 'Up in the Air' one could be forgiven in thinking the flick (in itself) is a self-motivational handout. Sadly some are left unanswered. Despite that George Clooney is excellently cast in the lead whichAlthough marketed and advertised as a comedy-drama film, this movie truthfully skimps on the laughs but redeems itself in the dramatic sense. However there are so many different themes in 'Up in the Air' one could be forgiven in thinking the flick (in itself) is a self-motivational handout. Sadly some are left unanswered. Despite that George Clooney is excellently cast in the lead which matches his public persona of being quite charming but the standout has to be Vera Farmiga; a desirable choice for Clooney's love interest. Expand
  23. Jun 29, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As I see George Clooney star in more and more typical white collar men in mid-life crises, I start to appreciate those films that manage to be enchanting without a big shot actor stealing the spotlight. With that said, Up In the Air did feel new. The planes may use recycled air, but when I saw Des Moines light up on the screen, I took a gasp of fresh air.

Ryan Bingham isn't your typical worker that wants to go to the office from 9 to 5 and never think about the job again until he returns. No. Ryan loves, he breathes his job. In fact, he doesn't even have a life outside of it. The loyalty and the miles and the ten million goal are what makes him the person that he is. He even thinks that's what he wants too. Living out of a simple carry-on bag, what more could someone need?

Of course, nothing lasts forever, and Natalie Keener, the stereotypical naïve girl throws a wrench in his life and ends up under his wing. Firing people can't be an easy job, but being the stoic and unemotional person that he is, Ryan does it with ease. People change him, and that's all to be expected. People change you, and Ryan is changed as well. Actually, I can't help but think that the picture he drags around with him for his sister's wedding represents something much larger. His personal growth with his philosophies. From being shiny and new, to used and falling apart, and ultimately ending up happy.

"You're the youngest to hit 10 mil, I don't know where you found the time." He found it by living in the sky – no commitments and nobody waiting for him at home. The only thing to his name is a 1-bedroom apartment and various flings to "escape real life." But this is Ryan's real life, and whether he just stays because it's too late or because he wants to is an enigma.
  24. CRL
    Jul 30, 2011
    Billed to me as a comedy, Up in the Air is much more than that. It's an emotionally moving and laugh-inducing drama with stellar acting from George Clooney. The premise is so sarcastically dry, as is Clooney's character, that by itself it invokes a few laughs. Add to that some surprisingly dark themes towards the ending and it becomes complete in every possible way.
  25. Sep 28, 2010
    Being a minor with not much responsibility other than taking the next test or completing a major homework assignment, I have not really been affected by the downturn of the economy. I can see how other people are affected by it, but I have not really felt what it is like to lose a job, losing a home, or having no money to my name.

Jason Reitman's (director of Juno) explores the downturn

Jason Reitman's (director of Juno) explores the downturn of the economy through characters Ryan Bringham played by veteran George Clooney. Ryan is hired by other companies to fire workers simply because the managers do not have the "balls" to do so. Bringham experiences the fast life, traveling from city to city, only really exploring the airport and the monotonous lives of office buildings. During his ventures to airports, he meets fellow Alex Goran, Vera Farmiga, a fellow "fast-lifer" and goes into a "casual" relationship with her. Clooney is content with his life of little personal human communication until young Natalie Keener, Anna Kendrick (Twilight), tries to make Clooney's company more "efficient," threatening Clooney's lifestyle. Clooney then spends most of the film taking Keener to fire people showing her that her "developments" will ruin the basis of the job.

Up In The Air is a commendable movie. Being a fan of Juno and other "hipster" films, I immediately fell in love with the artistic shots, indie music, and funny one-liners. But unlike Juno, Reitman's film actually has meaning. It is a true representation of today's economy, focusing and conveying the "lows" of our society. Up In The Air is not a "feel-good" movie as it portrays death, loss, and love, in a very negative way. But because of this, it establishes the purpose of the film, showing life is ugly.

The cast of the movie achieves a well-acted feat. George Clooney acts in his truly apathetic character to the point of realism. Although Clooney performs an Oscar-worthy performance, his character's emotions are not consistent throughout the movie. Clooney's character goes through an emotional change, that would seem to drastic for it to be possible. Clooney's love interest, Vera Farmiga likewise plays her character to perfection without the flaws of an emotional change. Although actors Clooney and Farmiga make this film shine, Anna Kendrick's performance is less than stellar. Kendrick, known for her roles in Twilight, doesn't move beyond the teen acting she displays in the teen-vampire hit. Her character is important to the story, but I sometimes found her character to be both bothersome and somewhat annoying. Kendrick's performance got her a nomination for Best Supporting Actress for the Golden Globes which in my opinion, is not deserved. The acting in Up In The Air is great, but it contains some minor flaws that can be overlooked.

Up In The Air is a movie that I recommend to most mature movie goers. Like Jason Reitman's other directed films, it has a dark feel that leads to a good film. Young audiences will not appreciate this film, of course, due to a representation that will just "go over their heads." The final song in the credits composed by an average citizen, sums this movie up, as it brings reality to the film from a true representative. Never has a film's credits been so touching. Overall, Up In The Air is the movie that this recession will be represented by for generations to come.
  26. Aug 27, 2011
    It was a well done movie, but I was bored in the middle of it, so I've left. I watched the other half few days later so. I don't know. It didn't keep my attention. I wouldn't say it was predictable. I thought that George and Vera's character will hook up and get married but it wasn't so. I also like Anna's character and that's all. All together, it was boring. Fans of George Clooney areIt was a well done movie, but I was bored in the middle of it, so I've left. I watched the other half few days later so. I don't know. It didn't keep my attention. I wouldn't say it was predictable. I thought that George and Vera's character will hook up and get married but it wasn't so. I also like Anna's character and that's all. All together, it was boring. Fans of George Clooney are gonna love it. Expand
  27. Apr 20, 2013
    The movie's subtle thematic plot, at first, confuses and leaves the audience with a hollow, unfulfilled catharsis at the end.........................................
  28. Oct 30, 2013
    I really really enjoyed this movie. It was bitter sweet in a wonderful way. The story flowed nicely and Clooney's character suited him extremely well. It doesn't end in the happiest ending but that is what makes it a good movie. I would definitely recommend this movie to anybody.
  29. Sep 18, 2010
    Sorry for the traslation, is mechanical.

Sense of belonging. There is a man who can rightfully share the record with the eagle winged space. This man is accustomed to "take flight". What can it mean, "take flight". Travel with your mind? Going straight down the stairs? Seek freedom? Or ... escape, disappear, vanish? Or maybe, and why not, a call to the enterprise? I try to proceed
    Sorry for the traslation, is mechanical.

Sense of belonging.

There is a man who can rightfully share the record with the eagle winged space. This man is accustomed to "take flight". What can it mean, "take flight". Travel with your mind? Going straight down the stairs? Seek freedom? Or ... escape, disappear, vanish? Or maybe, and why not, a call to the enterprise? I try to proceed in an orderly and point my eye, but not random gossip on a man. This man, able to defend themselves from the threat of a nature that loves to challenge those who dream and strives to make real and concrete objects of their desire, is ready for anything. Throughout his life, sooner or later happen to face painful events. The death of a loved one, our dog, a love story ended, a financial investment bankruptcy, dismissal. Mr. Ryan is interested in layoffs. The dismissal, for the sufferer, it can cause serious, serious mental disorders. The pain caused by it, can turn into anxiety, existential closure too often, the next step and "extreme" is suicide. All these "inner beatings, mental" can be turned into disruptive forces in new psychic energy, in increasing self-esteem, desire to relive. Ryan Bingham (G. Clooney) offers his skills to those companies that have to lay off people. Travels the skies of the U.S.A. far and wide. Thousands talks "motivational" making, not to mention those covered. The plane is his first house and this house is tastefully furnished and mentally occupied with pleasure. His travels take place in a frequent flyer program of American Airlines. Its status is excellent. The goal is that at heart is to reach ten million miles. Incredible ten million miles. Many people who meet during the various movements. One of them, Alex (Vera Farmiga), fascinates him, trapping him, his travels thus become a bit 'less instrumental and a bit' more human. A relationship develops between the two. Third stage entrance. A young graduate, Natalie Keener (Anna Kendric) is supporting so vehemently, a project that allows her dismissal "from the ground" in the sense that, the unfortunate party, sitting in front of the monitor gets the sack over the internet. Ryan is forced to return home. Witnessing a demonstration and exposes all its perplexities. Miss Natalie claims that did not mind that this type of profession needs a "human linguistic semantics" and not "computerized management of human feelings." But you know, when you can save millions of dollars at the expense of the mental health ... do not think twice. Indeed, we do not think so. Ryan suggests to his boss to entrust Natalie, so will the "field" whether his theories deserve to be reviewed. Begins with Natalie unprecedented adventure, learn the rhythms and techniques of flight, initial approaches are not happy. The novel taste flyer on his body the marks they leave the informal words, without the bon-ton human relationships. The boyfriend download by SMS. I stop here to not remove the viewer the pleasure of discovery. ... The plot is nice and full bodied. Love, economic welfare, psychological and physical discomfort, maturity and youth, experience and novitiate, certainties and uncertainties, isolation and companionship, joy and sadness there is something for everyone. These themes are presented with such elegance and sobriety. Almost in a whisper. When you reach a goal achieved with sacrifice "flights" growing up. Whether this objective tell you that you have reached when you are "on" How do you feel? Ryan feels like the end of his journey? For miles routes, will add a few meters? Ulysses was a flyer, in a sense, returned to Ithaca, he finds his wife and son. Throughout his travels, he has never forgotten the ultimate goal. The return home. His house, his suffering, emotional stability. See, in conclusion, what he left. Its origins. Even Ryan there are traces of Odysseus. I think.

Welcome aboard and good trip.
  30. Dec 27, 2011
    "Up In The Air" One Line Review! "A-"

Extremely timely, thought provoking and emotional - And just when I thought they were going to wrap things up a little too neatly, BAM - I loved it, I think everyone would benefit from seeing it.
  31. Sep 2, 2010
    Generally funny, and heartwarming. Up in the Air proves to be Jason Reitman's best since Juno. George Clooney is brilliant as the cut-throat businessman being grounded by his company, while his co-stars Farmiga and Kendrick are also outstanding. The story was definitely interesting and proves to be one of the best films of last year.
  32. Aug 22, 2010
    If you want to see 'George Clooney' play 'George Clooney' then good for you, you'll love this! If you don't want to feel like an unsophisticated plebian while watching these 2 incredibly smug people seeing who has the best comeback I'd recommend a pass, watch Lost in Translation instead, it's much better. Also the feel of this film is like pretentious wannabee Oscar material. in factIf you want to see 'George Clooney' play 'George Clooney' then good for you, you'll love this! If you don't want to feel like an unsophisticated plebian while watching these 2 incredibly smug people seeing who has the best comeback I'd recommend a pass, watch Lost in Translation instead, it's much better. Also the feel of this film is like pretentious wannabee Oscar material. in fact pretentious basically sums this movie up. For Smug, high Class idiots really. Expand
  33. Feb 6, 2012
    Up in the Air was one of the best movies of 2009. George Clooney gave a great performance and the movie was funny and heartwarming. It managed to do what most movies can't do. Feel real.
  34. Oct 15, 2011
    I don't really like this kind of romantic films but this time I kinda liked it. Liked the acting performances but imo George Clooney's role was pathetic. I really appreciated the lack of happy-ending.
  35. Aug 14, 2010
    Seriously? This movie was humorous and all, but the ending was really stupid, I mean, Ryan finally finds a woman, but then it turns out that she was married w/ children?! That's just sad. I was disappointed that I spent, like, 5 dollars on this on VOD on Buckeye, and it sucked! Don't see this movie if you haven't yet...
  36. Sep 7, 2010
    Great movie. I was really pulling for Clooney to win the Oscar but I guess Jeff Bridges finally deserved one. I was pleasantly surprised by Anna Kendrick's performance. I had no idea that anyone from Twilight could actually act but she did a great job. In a way this was a very sad but real movie.
  37. Nov 18, 2010
    The best movie of 2009. The characters and events in the film are fairly different from those in the book by Walter Kirn, but I enjoyed both. The main and supporting actors performed really well. Anna Kendrick showed how great she can be. Jason Reitman keeps improving as a director besting Juno, which bested Thank You For Smoking. Great satire.
  38. Feb 22, 2011
    Good movie. It was a great display of life as some one who's always travels for there company. I think this was a good role for George Clooney and he did a great job.
  39. Mar 15, 2011
    Up in the air was witty and funny. It's a story about a man who doesn't realize how lonely he really his and how he changes as a person throughout the movie. Not to mention George Clooney was outstanding, he fit the role perfectly.
  40. Feb 16, 2012
    A truly enjoyable movie from start to finish. makes you ponder abt your life and future. A compelling performance from the cast. Good storyline combined with powerful cast and amazing direction and cinematography of the movie. what more can i ask for?
  41. Jul 18, 2011
    Good little film, not the funniest or most dramatic film ive ever seen but well acted, directed and shot with a good script and likeable characters who make you want to see more of them after the credits have rolled. Having said that, my wife hated it and fell asleep before the end!
  42. Jul 23, 2013
    How is this movie so well liked? George Clooney and Vera Farmiga's characters are just completey unlikable and the story almost literally goes nowhere. The most interesting character was Zach Galifianakis' character who appears for less then a minute.
  43. Aug 18, 2015
    Up in the Air is definitely not a bad film, but it's not a good one. The first act is great, all the characters are likeable, the story is entertaining and fun, but then comes the second act, and it feels like the wedding is sidetracking the film from the point of the first half of the film and after that the whole movie feels lost. And I honestly understand the message it was trying toUp in the Air is definitely not a bad film, but it's not a good one. The first act is great, all the characters are likeable, the story is entertaining and fun, but then comes the second act, and it feels like the wedding is sidetracking the film from the point of the first half of the film and after that the whole movie feels lost. And I honestly understand the message it was trying to convey and the whole point of the story, but it just felt shallow, like it was barely scratching the surface of it's full potential. And even if there is a good point or an intelligent story the film has to be at least entertaining in it's entirety. Up in the Air is definitely overrated, in almost every aspect, except acting maybe, it's flawed, but not in a imperfectly perfect way, more in a wounded unrepairable way. Expand
  44. May 21, 2011
    This is one of my favorite movies. George Clooney is an amazing actor, and should have gotten the Oscar. In fact, this movie should have gotten the Oscar over the Hurt Locker. It's such a beautiful look into what love and relationships are, without taking a side either way.
  45. Dec 31, 2010
    Overall I enjoyed this movie and appreciated its complex, all-is-not-black-or-white message. However, I had a few issues with it. For instance, WHO would buy into that "What's in your backpack" message? Companies want to create the illusion that they're warm and fuzzy families, and no one would tolerate someone who blatantly told them to fly solo. That sideline plot hit us over the headOverall I enjoyed this movie and appreciated its complex, all-is-not-black-or-white message. However, I had a few issues with it. For instance, WHO would buy into that "What's in your backpack" message? Companies want to create the illusion that they're warm and fuzzy families, and no one would tolerate someone who blatantly told them to fly solo. That sideline plot hit us over the head with a message that we already "got" just by observing Clooney. Also, the George Clooney character never seems lonely, sad, or depressed until he learns his lesson about the importance of having a co-pilot. The movie could have done more to make you think he KNEW was missing something in life, because he seemed quite satisfied. But as I said, it's an excellent movie, despite its flaws. Expand
  46. Dec 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Slickly rendered and intelligently scripted, offering a deft mixture of comedy and pathos, "Up in the Air" is entertaining but also painstakingly grounded in reality, seamlessly entwining humor with an existentially bleak edge that this troubled era of downsizing and recession makes all the more meaningful and relevant.

As far as acting goes, the performances here are exceptional, and are largely what makes it work. J. K. Simmons and Steve Eastin are fantastic in their brief but brilliant cameos as fired employees; Amy Morton and Jason Bateman offer some good supporting work; and Vera Farmiga and Anna Kendrick deliver richly layered performances in their respective roles, Kendrick in particular. But George Clooney is the centerpiece of the film evoking Ryan Bingham with charisma and suave interlaced with loneliness, desperation and fear.

A fantastic view.
  47. Nov 26, 2010
    A very entertaining and intriguing story of a man and his peculiar job. I'm not sure how realistic the whole plot was but nevertheless I think the film was able to captivate the audience for the majority of the time. Some parts of the film was pretty humorous but other parts seemed a bit boring and pointless. Still, it was a brilliant performance by Clooney and Kendrick, otherA very entertaining and intriguing story of a man and his peculiar job. I'm not sure how realistic the whole plot was but nevertheless I think the film was able to captivate the audience for the majority of the time. Some parts of the film was pretty humorous but other parts seemed a bit boring and pointless. Still, it was a brilliant performance by Clooney and Kendrick, other actors/actress weren't too bad either. The film generally does well to depict the story of a corporate business expert and maybe a child prodigy, which is a pretty unique experience. This is not a very fast paced film but not too slow and boring either. It is very enjoyable if you have the time to sit back and relax. Probably not suited for people with a small attention span or lack of intelligence. I'd give it 8/10 just put 10 to boost the score as it doesn't reflect how good the film is atm. :P Expand
  48. Jun 13, 2011
    A mature comedy-drama for adults with a really neat twist at the end. All the principle actors are really fine and the direction is right on, with a first rate screenplay and dialog. One of my favorites and one of George Clooney's best.
  49. Jul 3, 2014
    Run away if you see Clooney in a suit next time.
    It's a pathetic movie.I watched 3 clooney movies consecutively after getting overwhelmed by seen 'Burn after reading" it is a very good satire movie.Love that one(congrats to COEN bros,love them too after this movie)
    What is George clooney? an MBA holder working as CFO in one of the MNCs ,if so he has performed very well. But i didn't
    Run away if you see Clooney in a suit next time.
    But i didn't download the movie to see how good he is in corporate affairs.A boring,not at all interesting movie.Good performance by actors.but i hate this movie.I got similar experiences from his recent 2 movies too(Syriana,Michael Clayton).All these films are like some David fincher movie with full of dialogues as if they were made to test the retention skills of actors,no twists,wits,action,comedy,sentiments .They are political movies dealing with contemporary American lives but ..as a movie it doesn't present the matters in a more digestible way with good stands ,but for that purpose a documentary is good don't waste our time by producing such 'Mr.Perfect man in Suite movies'.
  50. MarcB
    Jan 4, 2010
    Up In The Air should not be up for Best Picture. An exceptional performance from Clooney can't save a pretentious, overreaching and ultimately elusive screenplay on the modern condition that ends up being as cold and removed as it's protagonist(antagonist depending on how you view it.) One of the worst feelings a moviegoer can experience is the feeling of uncomfortablity and Up In The Air should not be up for Best Picture. An exceptional performance from Clooney can't save a pretentious, overreaching and ultimately elusive screenplay on the modern condition that ends up being as cold and removed as it's protagonist(antagonist depending on how you view it.) One of the worst feelings a moviegoer can experience is the feeling of uncomfortablity and uneasiness with what you're watching unfold onscreen. This movie can be likened to that. It made me feel ashamed of myself and I felt kind of cheapened afterwards. I wanted to get up and out of the theater. Not a pleasant viewing experience by any stretch of ... See Morethe imagination and apparently not by any stretch of the director's imagination, either. It ended up glorifying and at the same time vilifying what it created. I knew I was going to have problems when Mr. Clooney exchanges rapid fire, ultra hip modernist technolouge with Ms. Fermiga about all the different kinds of credit cards they have and use. It felt like foreign language too me. And this was supposed to be a scene showing off the sexy chemistry and banter between the lead male and supporting female costar. Give me a break. Basically, the movie is a generic modern romantic dramedy souped up for disguise with a "bigger" or "deeper" message about capitalism and corporate robots and alienation in the digital age etc etc that gets lost somewhere in the clouds, or, perhaps in the screenplay that dragged me kicking and screaming into its final half hour ( all the while I was praying silently for some genuine heartfelt flimmaking) to some vapid moral swamp where youre supposed to feel cosy at a film that exploits rather than empathizes with all the people whose lives have been ruined by the economy. Miraculous character turnaround aside, Clooney's performance is genuine, heartfelt and exceptional for what it's worth. No matter where this movie takes his character, I always felt he was trying to be believable. It isnt his fault, it's the screenplay. He is the best thing about this strange and unsatisfying film. But didnt you know that it's all about wholesome values like real connections with family, friends, love and smug little voice over narration? Please dont insult my feelings or intelligence Mr. Reitman. I'll let you get away with Juno because that's about a smarmy teenage girl with a heart of gold. But with Up In The Air, I dont know what's worse, that it wasnt honest with its characters, or that it wasnt honest with us, the audience? Expand
  51. SaraJ.
    Feb 4, 2010
    This film was entertaining - it kept me completely engaged until the end, BUT... I was so disappointed by the ending. It felt as though the film was viewed by a 'test audience' and the George Clooney character was required to suffer for disconnected lifestyle and thus became cliche. For me, it was a shame that the mid American character had to become -well... so stereotypically This film was entertaining - it kept me completely engaged until the end, BUT... I was so disappointed by the ending. It felt as though the film was viewed by a 'test audience' and the George Clooney character was required to suffer for disconnected lifestyle and thus became cliche. For me, it was a shame that the mid American character had to become -well... so stereotypically mid-American. Expand
  52. DoodleT
    Apr 6, 2010
    Film is going well until Detroit. Then it deflates into cheap propaganda. The 'existential' ending makes no sense. Nothing gained from watching this. Ryan is who we thought he was!
  53. RayB.
    Jan 1, 2010
    The critics hype is disproportional to the substance. The Users have this one pegged!
  54. ChetB
    Jan 31, 2010
    Can't believe I wasted $11.75 on this steaming pile of garbage. Clooney doesn't so much act as play himself at his most annoyingly charming. The young woman who plays his co-worker is also terrible, her performance reminiscent of a college theater production. The characters are not believable at all. The 'plot' such as it is, is boring, predictable, and childishly Can't believe I wasted $11.75 on this steaming pile of garbage. Clooney doesn't so much act as play himself at his most annoyingly charming. The young woman who plays his co-worker is also terrible, her performance reminiscent of a college theater production. The characters are not believable at all. The 'plot' such as it is, is boring, predictable, and childishly sentimental. If you found this film moving or meaningful, I feeI sorry for you. I could go on but you get the idea. Wish I had paid attention to the user reviews over the critics on this one. If you are a gullible moron who loves, Clooney, you might enjoy this film. Expand
  55. BobN
    Jan 6, 2010
    Relatively few films capture the zeitgeist of an age, or even a brief moment in time. This film does. There is an existential doubt, a grim nihilism floating in the background, as well as a hope for better things present throughout this film. How many films achieve that? Hardly any. Fantastic film that has incredible depth below the surface. It reminds me of Garden State, but for grown Relatively few films capture the zeitgeist of an age, or even a brief moment in time. This film does. There is an existential doubt, a grim nihilism floating in the background, as well as a hope for better things present throughout this film. How many films achieve that? Hardly any. Fantastic film that has incredible depth below the surface. It reminds me of Garden State, but for grown ups. If the film would have worked out perfectly, or happy, then it would have sucked. The fact that things are left messy, disordered, yet still hope remains for something in the future...that alone makes this a fantastic film. I don't give a flying crap about awards, or even mentioning if the actors did an amazing job...actors get paid to act...that IS their job. The question is: does the film capture something special. Answer: Yes, this film captures much that is NOW. Expand
  56. Dwight
    Jan 6, 2010
    I would like to address the comment by Jason M. What does he mean that some critics aren't bought and paid for and then says some are? Which is it? I saw this movie with 3 other couples and everyone hated it. It was depressing with awful casting. George Clooney is so overated by the liberal critics that they kiss his keester no matter what he does. If a movie about flight miles, time I would like to address the comment by Jason M. What does he mean that some critics aren't bought and paid for and then says some are? Which is it? I saw this movie with 3 other couples and everyone hated it. It was depressing with awful casting. George Clooney is so overated by the liberal critics that they kiss his keester no matter what he does. If a movie about flight miles, time management, and being needed to fire people you don't know is your cup of tea then go watch this moss growing on a rock. And for two mismatched people one handsome and the other a bow wow having an affair it was as ludicrous as the dog giving him her home address. This movie was a total contradiction to the first 2 acts and disintergrates before your very eyes. All you need do is look at the box office revenue to know that this drek is being panned by the movie going public. You have been warned. Expand
  57. AnnieG
    Jan 9, 2010
    I don't understand why so many people I have talked to have really enjoyed this movie. Besides the lack of insight and any real felt moments, it makes me question how our society is eroding into this obvious "Real World" fake unmoving robot. With all the thematic epiphanies that one enjoys seeking and later pondering on any good thought out movie, well, this had none. Too obvious and I don't understand why so many people I have talked to have really enjoyed this movie. Besides the lack of insight and any real felt moments, it makes me question how our society is eroding into this obvious "Real World" fake unmoving robot. With all the thematic epiphanies that one enjoys seeking and later pondering on any good thought out movie, well, this had none. Too obvious and also completely void of sympathy or empathy with the main characters, it left me far more angry and removed. True, there are 1 percent that hold 95 percent of the wealth currently in our country, but they are too busy currently covering up financial corporate scandals. How can I be empathetic with someone like this? A classic story but too far a divide for me to feel comfortable even considering. I can let go of my suitcase handle in a much bigger way and hope, pray, that they remove this movie from consideration of best film. What? Because all these worthless remakes and garbage like Knocked Up comes out and this movie has a life message it's supposed to be good? Current? For whom? Why don't we show we this to all the General Motor Workers? A moment for Cher in Clueless who pinned it right " I don't think so...". Expand
  58. EveG
    Feb 1, 2010
    This movie is way overrated. It was sort of fun to watch, had some clever bits of dialogue, but is in no way as good as the critics make it out to be. It is very superficial.
  59. TonyB
    Feb 8, 2010
    George Clooney, thanks to an absence of his frequent irritatingly cutesy charm, gives as good a performance as he did in "The Perfect Storm." With considerable help from Vera Farmiga and Anna Hendrik, this turns out to be one of 2009's better films.'
  60. JonM
    Mar 2, 2010
    No movie I've seen in the last year has more infuriated me than this boring, bourgeois fluff-piece about Ivy League Grinches having their poor little hearts suddenly grow three sizes and just BURST out their chests. It tells the unremittingly boring tale of a mostly despicable guy who has a despicable and confused affair with an equally confused and despicably adulterous woman, an No movie I've seen in the last year has more infuriated me than this boring, bourgeois fluff-piece about Ivy League Grinches having their poor little hearts suddenly grow three sizes and just BURST out their chests. It tells the unremittingly boring tale of a mostly despicable guy who has a despicable and confused affair with an equally confused and despicably adulterous woman, an affair rife with despicably vacuous, wannabe suave banter. In the course of carrying out his despicable job working alongside and for other despicable people firing other despicable people who just can't FATHOM how to pick up the pieces of their lives after losing out on all the sweet Grand Cherokee-filled promise of their entitled, upper middle class 60-90+k salaries. And Anna Kendrick's performance is most offensive of all. Not a shred of authentic type-A female humanity in her performance, a truly disgustingly low-quality acting performance. People who think Anna Kendrick is worth her salt IN THE LEAST in this performance HORRIFY me. I was APPALLED to see that she was nominated for a Golden Globe for this. Was nobody else moved to vomit by her ridiculously phony parody of an emotional breakdown in the airport with Clooney? Pure broadway bull. All I can imagine on this score is that aging people with ink to spill have ATROCIOUS taste in young actors. And that ridiculous hip hop concert scene with everyone dancing? Yeah, that would have already been a cheesy, condescending appeal to a younger generation back in like 1997. . .it's 2010, you freaking troglodytic wannabe pop-cultural savants. I CAN NOT BELIEVE the praise with which this tripe has been lavished. . .although I CAN imagine that the FILM CRITICS of the world would just ADORE a meditation on a soulless, promiscuously single middle aged man's anomic descent into an emotional isolation of his own creation until at last. . .he has become so estranged from his baby sister that she asks their UNCLE to walk her down the aisle instead of her big brother GEORGE CLOONEY! Can you just IMAGINE?! (who, incidentally, I deeply respect and love in almost everything. I also enjoy Jason Bateman and Danny McBride. I decided the three of them must have lost some bet to get dragged into this unmitigatedly stupid, shlocky and downright sociologically reprehensible movie whose almost boundless crappiness is keenly augmented by a soundtrack straight out of the eighth circle of hell) And for those who think this total piece of crap is somehow "uplifting" or "deeply relevant in light of recent economic blah blah blah", I rebut that the over-arching "oh, our poor down economy" theme smacks revoltingly of noblesse oblige. You know who this "down economy" has hit particularly hard? People who worked for LEHMAN BROTHERS and other types who watch tickers and used to read the Wall Street Journal before they started using it as toilet paper last year because they aren't QUITE SO RICH ANYMORE, you bunch of stupids. You get away with this as a special interest-sponsored Special Presentation on Watching Your Dollar TV on the freaking MONEY Channel. This movie can bite me. Critics of America, your response to this piece of trash means class warfare. You're on. Expand
  61. MaxL
    Dec 17, 2009
    Good acting and dialogues make up for the airy plot that's a bit bumpy once it hit the ground that's not the airports. The ending is rather nice but feels tacked on.
  62. MitchC
    Jan 13, 2010
    This is an adult movie, watching the pains and seductions of now without blinking. It's a romance, a comedy and a tragedy, on point at every moment. The concept is straight out of the existential mindset: life is absurd, and its absence of coherence and reliable meaning is a void at the edge of even the most upbeat moment. We see the stark, documentary-style suffering of people This is an adult movie, watching the pains and seductions of now without blinking. It's a romance, a comedy and a tragedy, on point at every moment. The concept is straight out of the existential mindset: life is absurd, and its absence of coherence and reliable meaning is a void at the edge of even the most upbeat moment. We see the stark, documentary-style suffering of people suddenly fired and cut loose from their moorings for no good reason, intercut with scenes of delight in the mating ritual of practiced pleasure seekers, circled by everybody's inescapable isolation and amplified by a young woman's confusion at the unspooling of values in these modern times. Contrasts: The writing is witty in the telling of somber events; penetrating observation is conveyed in the idiom of farce; an ugly business is packaged as a nimble growth industry. Clooney's acting is spotless and his luminous leading lady stays with him step for step like Ginger Rogers with Fred Astaire. The nerdy young woman who accompanies them is a full equal partner. This is sociology, philosophy and entertainment wrapped tightly together in a package you don't want to let go of. Expand
  63. kgm
    Jan 16, 2010
    Clooney does his role well, very well, in this enjoyable mature movie. It
  64. AhmedA
    Jan 18, 2010
    im a single man and a lot of the time at my job i have to break the bad news to clients about stuff that's really beyond my control. Makes me feel like the meat in the sandwich. looking at Clooney in this movie, it was like i was looking at myself.
  65. markj
    Jan 18, 2010
    "Up in the Air" is a nuanced, grown-up romantic comedy that is firmly rooted in the what-is, not the make-believe. Anyone who has spent any time in an airport lounge, dined on rubber steaks in hotel restaurants, crashed another company's pep rally party, charged a cable movie to an expense account, kept a suitcase on the living room floor and not in the closet or been downsized will "Up in the Air" is a nuanced, grown-up romantic comedy that is firmly rooted in the what-is, not the make-believe. Anyone who has spent any time in an airport lounge, dined on rubber steaks in hotel restaurants, crashed another company's pep rally party, charged a cable movie to an expense account, kept a suitcase on the living room floor and not in the closet or been downsized will get it. George Clooney gives a superb and subtle performance that is certain to be overlooked by those handing out awards. Mark J. Expand
  66. Sandy
    Jan 23, 2010
    Laugh-out-loud funny in places, good playing from the leads, gorgeous formailty in the photography, witty script, human characters, with an ending that, whilst a bit fuzzy, does not draw obvious conclusions. Some here obviously missed the point that 'traditional values' are no more preferable than 'modern life.' What matters is not marriage and family life, but Laugh-out-loud funny in places, good playing from the leads, gorgeous formailty in the photography, witty script, human characters, with an ending that, whilst a bit fuzzy, does not draw obvious conclusions. Some here obviously missed the point that 'traditional values' are no more preferable than 'modern life.' What matters is not marriage and family life, but 'only connect.' Expand
  67. JamesD
    Jan 25, 2010
    Up in the Air is a very realistic interpretation of reality. I find that George Clooney's character in this film was one for having an elegant way of life that few dare choose. I thought that the narration and the early part of the film really dragged me into the narrative. The only subtle weakness is that it does drag on a bit but I thought the messages and values that the film Up in the Air is a very realistic interpretation of reality. I find that George Clooney's character in this film was one for having an elegant way of life that few dare choose. I thought that the narration and the early part of the film really dragged me into the narrative. The only subtle weakness is that it does drag on a bit but I thought the messages and values that the film presents are quite endearing to the purpose of life. Expand
  68. Agnes
    Jan 3, 2010
    Critically acclaimed by the bought and paid for professional critics. Universally panned by the movie going public. Depressing and nonbelievable. The casting is awful. And the movie disintergrates in the third act. Avoid.
  69. Eve
    Jan 30, 2010
    What a sorry movie for our (economic) times.
  70. MarkS.
    Jan 3, 2010
    A two-minute scene featuring the great J.K. Simmons is all the character depth you are going to find in this one. The rest is about as enjoyable as being cramped in coach with whiny people you cannot stand. It never even got off the ground. I was not expecting greatness from it, but I was not expecting it to be an abomination either.
  71. MarkH
    Jan 4, 2010
    An excellent movie! Witty comedy by Clooney, Anna Kendrick plays the millenial role to a T, and Vera Farmiga's sexy character propel this movie to the heights of a streamliner. I am 27 and can appreciate the late30's/early 40's middle age dilemma's and drama. Really enjoyed this movie, saw it twice and will buy the DVD.
  72. BenS.
    Jan 5, 2010
    it is utterly humorous why people dislike this movie. it falls apart in the final act? this is clearly the film's defining point - where it disregards convention and presents a more believable, un-manipulated, and impacting scenario. you want something to *happen*? oh, so like, you wanted them to hook over a montage of popular music? how about a few explosions while we're at it. it is utterly humorous why people dislike this movie. it falls apart in the final act? this is clearly the film's defining point - where it disregards convention and presents a more believable, un-manipulated, and impacting scenario. you want something to *happen*? oh, so like, you wanted them to hook over a montage of popular music? how about a few explosions while we're at it. clooney did the right thing by wanting to make a change in his life. unfortunately, what we want doesn't always come easy or instantaneously. "up in the air" acknowledges that. Expand
  73. EvinC.
    Jan 5, 2010
    Such a great dramedy! Everyone who was cast was awesome. I'm in love with Anna Kendrick, the beautiful actress is going to have such a great career in the future. Clooney, Farmiga, Bateman, and Jones were just so wonderful. Jason Reitman is his father's son. So satisfying.
  74. MrX
    Jan 8, 2010
    As someone who was in a high-stress corporate job, glued to my office blackberry, and flying around to cheesy tech conventions where I had relations with other people I kept running into at said conventions from other companies. . . . UNTIL I was laid off in a massive corporate downsizing fueled by the economic downturn. . . I can tell you all that this film nails so many different As someone who was in a high-stress corporate job, glued to my office blackberry, and flying around to cheesy tech conventions where I had relations with other people I kept running into at said conventions from other companies. . . . UNTIL I was laid off in a massive corporate downsizing fueled by the economic downturn. . . I can tell you all that this film nails so many different aspects of a very common, yet rarely dramatized, lifestyle in ways I would never have imagined. For me, personally, the film was a very cathartic and riveting affair. It was a marvelous and moving experience. . . for ME, the guy who got a small taste of absolutely everything the movie is depicts. THAT being said, I haven't recommended it to any friends whose life experience doesn't overlap those in the film. . . . as I'd imagine the events and characters could seem a bit arbitrary, self important, cold and un-engaging if you haven't seen everything on screen play out in real life in exactly the same way. If you're going into this movie expecting lots of laughs, high-energy quirk, riveting drama, a clockwork-clever plot, or all of the above . . you'll probably hate every second. I didn't like "Brite Star", but that's mainly because I don't like Romantic Era poetry. . . . if you don't have an interest in the absurd realities of corporate downsizing and blackberries'n'powerpoint culture, then don't see a movie about it. . . no matter how much you love George Clooney. Expand
  75. SusanS
    Feb 1, 2010
    this film has been billed as a comedy, it is not funny. It is a thought provoking, sad film. All the main characters are brilliantly portrayed, it is a great film and I was very sad that there were so few people watching it with me.
  76. AllanS
    Feb 2, 2010
    An unreal plot, full of holes in its logic. I saw it with 5 other people and all agreed that apart from George Clooney's charisma it has NOTHING going for it!
  77. AndrewG.
    Feb 6, 2010
    My pick for the best film of the year. Reitman's screenplay is easily this year's finest and the movie itself is the best acted of the year too.
  78. CarolP.
    Feb 8, 2010
    After reading these reviews, I'm realize that even less people have good taste then I thought. This movie had a fantastic underlying meaning and was very well-cast. The plot was very original as well, and my only complaint would be that it was weak in certain scenes (ex. the wedding scene).
  79. PaulF.
    Feb 9, 2010
    Let me begin by saying this movie was much better than expected. It had a slow average beginning which ramped up into almost a comedy and became much more heart felt and introspective by the end of the movie. The worst aspects of the movie were the terribly unconvincing crying scene of his female co-worker and the incessant advertising by the hotel, air, car companies. I really wish Let me begin by saying this movie was much better than expected. It had a slow average beginning which ramped up into almost a comedy and became much more heart felt and introspective by the end of the movie. The worst aspects of the movie were the terribly unconvincing crying scene of his female co-worker and the incessant advertising by the hotel, air, car companies. I really wish they'd stop doing this as it vastly cheapens the movie. The best parts of the movie were a couple of funny scenes and the introspective and somewhat surprise of an ending. Don't mistake this as a feel good movie. It at times almost feels that way but in the end you can feel ultimately what Clune's character felt, loneliness. Expand
  80. JamesH
    Mar 9, 2010
    What a wonderful film, great characterizations and excellent performances from everyone, especially Anna Kendrick. She was awesome. J.K. Simmons does an amazing job in a scene that is only a few minutes long.Excellent score, so well photographed. The direction is so controlled, excellent vision of the finished product and the development of the story to that point. It is funny as well as What a wonderful film, great characterizations and excellent performances from everyone, especially Anna Kendrick. She was awesome. J.K. Simmons does an amazing job in a scene that is only a few minutes long.Excellent score, so well photographed. The direction is so controlled, excellent vision of the finished product and the development of the story to that point. It is funny as well as touching, the pacing is perfect. Very memorable. Expand
  81. RyanM.
    Mar 9, 2010
    A thought provoking piece that is reflective and humorous at times. Clooney and the main characters are outstanding and have undeniable chemistry. Though the end of the film may not leave with resolve, it may leave you with loneliness and sadness.
  82. RebeccaT
    Apr 18, 2010
    I loved this movie. Ryan's character is so much like myself. That's not the reason I love it, it's just a very well-put together film. =)
  83. Aaron
    Apr 8, 2010
    WORST MOVIE EVER MADE (next to The Godfather and Angels in America) JUST horrible, depressing, stupid, George Clooney, Anna Kendrick was SOOO ANNOYING! "wah!wah!" i almost did that crying scene that Anna Kendrick did when the movie was over! RAZZIE AWARD WINNER IN MY OPIONION way overrated!
  84. Bobo
    Apr 9, 2010
    Am I the only one who was restless (bored) by this movie? Clooney saved it-just barely-and even he was getting on my nerves.
  85. BenW.
    Dec 10, 2009
    I would have given it a ten if it hadn't just stopped right when things were at their emotional peak. Great set up, Great characters, wonderful performances, fun, sexy, and entertaining, but with no resolution or aftermath of Clooney's character's growth, it just kind of leaves you pissed off and depressed. And the worst part of it all, is that it is still once of the best I would have given it a ten if it hadn't just stopped right when things were at their emotional peak. Great set up, Great characters, wonderful performances, fun, sexy, and entertaining, but with no resolution or aftermath of Clooney's character's growth, it just kind of leaves you pissed off and depressed. And the worst part of it all, is that it is still once of the best movies I've seen in the last year. Expand
  86. CaroleG.
    Dec 27, 2009
    Easy to watch, especially because of Clooney, who's pitch perfect here,, although there's nothing genuine in the story.
  87. NealC
    Jan 10, 2010
    Great film! Stretched believability in parts, but age has shown me that what's often unbelievable can later be explained by a lack of experience. I suspect that the people who couldn't enjoy the film are uncomfortable with the subject matter and have their own disappointments and insecurities to deal with. If this movie brought that out, I say it's a job well done.
  88. ChaseM
    Jan 12, 2010
    Up In The Air was a great story. I was relieved that it did not follow a predictable story line. It's one of those movies that make you think about your own life.
  89. MikeG.
    Jan 16, 2010
    What a difficult movie to grade. Everything was done "right": the performances were magnificent (though it's Anna Kendrick, not George Clooney, who delivers the best performance), the jokes were funny, and the characters and story were propped up by an extremely strong script. The problem the movie had is that it delivered an interesting, compelling story in the first two thirds of What a difficult movie to grade. Everything was done "right": the performances were magnificent (though it's Anna Kendrick, not George Clooney, who delivers the best performance), the jokes were funny, and the characters and story were propped up by an extremely strong script. The problem the movie had is that it delivered an interesting, compelling story in the first two thirds of the movie before falling back on conventional Hollywood narrative for the last third. For a movie this well written, you can't quite call it treacle, but for a movie that was shooting for such lofty heights, it felt like a swing and a miss. There's a lot of critical love for Up in the Air, but in the end there's something missing from this package. What starts as an intriguing look into the construct of what makes for a "good" life goes off the rails and becomes nothing more than the usual moralizing about how there is a right way and a wrong way to live. Don't be fooled by what some are calling an "unconventional" ending. The movie isn't a masterpiece because the ending insists on winners and losers instead of allowing for the gray areas that were apparent throughout most of the film. Expand
  90. JohnC
    Jan 17, 2010
    This film is definitely overrated by the critics. It starts with an interesting idea and it features fairly good acting and a few nice lines. However, the plot development is neither captivating nor compelling.
  91. JaimeC
    Jan 18, 2010
    If ratings are given for smugness, then this is a clear ten. The message is that conservative/family values are right and modern life is rubbish. Go see it if you are married and want to feel good about yourself. Strangely it starts off quite well, Anna Kendrick is good, and Clooney plays himself well... only in the third act do the characters start to carry out actions entirely opposite If ratings are given for smugness, then this is a clear ten. The message is that conservative/family values are right and modern life is rubbish. Go see it if you are married and want to feel good about yourself. Strangely it starts off quite well, Anna Kendrick is good, and Clooney plays himself well... only in the third act do the characters start to carry out actions entirely opposite to their personas. When the revelation comes, which has been telegraphed throughout the movie, the reaction is not surprise, but disbelief. Expand
  92. xerxes
    Jan 19, 2010
    What a great film i hope it wins best picture or any other film besides avatar because that film was so average they act like its the best film of all times, my goodness up in the air is way better.
  93. AntonisZ.
    Jan 19, 2010
    A really wonderful film, one of the best of 2009!
  94. paulk
    Jan 2, 2010
    This is what America has turned into -- heartless, corporate types flying over the landscape collecting mileage points as they destroy peoples' lives. And then we are supposed to sympathize as they realize their own empty and lonely lives.
  95. LarsR
    Jan 2, 2010
    Near flawless movie. Clooney/Farmiga is as close to Tracey/Hepburn as one could hope for.
  96. WellieM
    Jan 2, 2010
    Although well written and acted - this is an extremely depressing view of one man's life. It makes "Michael Clayton" look like "The Hangover".
  97. MichaelH
    Jan 21, 2010
    Up in the Air probably won't win the big awards but it is very poignant and in most parts beautiful meditation on mid-corporate life and as another commenter says here loneliness. The plot is beautifully constructed, the acting generally excellent. I have two criticisms: 1) the transitions between the serious and the comical parts of the movie were sometimes a little awkward..I feel Up in the Air probably won't win the big awards but it is very poignant and in most parts beautiful meditation on mid-corporate life and as another commenter says here loneliness. The plot is beautifully constructed, the acting generally excellent. I have two criticisms: 1) the transitions between the serious and the comical parts of the movie were sometimes a little awkward..I feel Reitman could have given his actors better direction at these points. 2) The song "Up in the Air" that rolls at the very end of the credits should have been placed within the movie. The song is amazingly poignant and fits beautifully with the theme of the movie. Expand
  98. MelissaE
    Jan 2, 2010
    Very witty and wonderfully acted. Clooney never disappoints.
  99. DavidC
    Jan 22, 2010
    As mediocre as movies get. Jason Reitman's worst movie to date. Thank you for smoking is a far superior movie in every way and I don't remember much oscar buzz surrounding that. Ridiculous hype, do not believe it.
  100. JL
    Jan 22, 2010
    Somebody MUST have had a lot of critics on the payroll. I loved "Thank You For Smoking" and "Juno". But "Up In The Air" is really a take it or leave it kind of film. Fine for a DVD watch on a rainy afternoon, but nothing more. The characters are interesting and there's a little bit of conflict and revelation. But best film of the year?! Best actor?! I haven't been this surprised Somebody MUST have had a lot of critics on the payroll. I loved "Thank You For Smoking" and "Juno". But "Up In The Air" is really a take it or leave it kind of film. Fine for a DVD watch on a rainy afternoon, but nothing more. The characters are interesting and there's a little bit of conflict and revelation. But best film of the year?! Best actor?! I haven't been this surprised about the critics ravings since "Million Dollar Baby". The only excuse I can come up with is that critics and Hollywood types relate to the movie because they are always flying on planes and on the go with no time for serious relationships and/or a preferce for non-committed relationships. I simply didn't relate to the movie themes. Expand

1. It's rare for a movie to be at once so biting and so moving. If Ryan's future seems bleak, there's something exhilarating about a movie made with such clear-eyed intelligence.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    The timing in the Clooney-Farmiga scenes is like splendid tennis, with each player surprising the other with shots but keeping the rally going to breathtaking duration.
  3. Up in the Air is poised to be a smash, and Clooney--slim, dark, perfectly tailored--glamorizes insincerity in a way that makes you want to go out and lie.