7.4

1. Sep 15, 2011
    What "Up in the Air" wants us to do is not to watch in boredom equipped with popcorn, but to understand the emotion and the characters the movie has to present to us.
  2. Dec 25, 2010
    A really entertaining, good film that definitely make you wonder about the American lifestyle and how good and rewarding (or unrewarding) it actually is. With great direction, screenplay and some really good performances, "Up in the Air" manages to make one laugh as well as feel the desperation of Clooney's character. Definitely a film worth watching!
  3. Aug 14, 2010
    Seriously? This movie was humorous and all, but the ending was really stupid, I mean, Ryan finally finds a woman, but then it turns out that she was married w/ children?! That's just sad. I was disappointed that I spent, like, 5 dollars on this on VOD on Buckeye, and it sucked! Don't see this movie if you haven't yet...
  4. Aug 27, 2010
    Jason Reitman's tale of corporate downsizing is bound to strike a chord with moviegoers in our modern recession and was released at the perfect time. However, unlike most topical films, which tend to slide into obscurity after their time in the limelight, I feel 'Up in the Air' will be remembered as a timeless classic which can really reach out to anyone. All three leads (George Clooney, Vera Farmiga and Anna Kendrick) are breathtaking in their character roles, each carrying a sense of enigma affixed with their own goals and expectations for love and life, and as always each is compromised along the way. The relationship between Clooney and Farmiga has incredible chemistry, and Kendrick's conjunction of professionalism and idealism was handled perfectly (I smell Oscars here....) Though most of the dialogue is infused with the quick wit you can always expect from Reitman films, this movie is really one of the most devastating and heavy films of the year. It perfectly embodies the journey of middle-age angst just as 'Juno' represented the indifference of smart-ass teenagers, but like 'Juno', it may appeal more to the age group it is depicting. Expand
  5. Sep 18, 2010
    Sorry for the traslation, is mechanical.

Sense of belonging.

There is a man who can rightfully share the record with the eagle winged space. This man is accustomed to "take flight". What can it mean, "take flight". Travel with your mind? Going straight down the stairs? Seek freedom? Or ... escape, disappear, vanish? Or maybe, and why not, a call to the enterprise? I try to proceed
    in an orderly and point my eye, but not random gossip on a man. This man, able to defend themselves from the threat of a nature that loves to challenge those who dream and strives to make real and concrete objects of their desire, is ready for anything. Throughout his life, sooner or later happen to face painful events. The death of a loved one, our dog, a love story ended, a financial investment bankruptcy, dismissal. Mr. Ryan is interested in layoffs. The dismissal, for the sufferer, it can cause serious, serious mental disorders. The pain caused by it, can turn into anxiety, existential closure too often, the next step and "extreme" is suicide. All these "inner beatings, mental" can be turned into disruptive forces in new psychic energy, in increasing self-esteem, desire to relive. Ryan Bingham (G. Clooney) offers his skills to those companies that have to lay off people. Travels the skies of the U.S.A. far and wide. Thousands talks "motivational" making, not to mention those covered. The plane is his first house and this house is tastefully furnished and mentally occupied with pleasure. His travels take place in a frequent flyer program of American Airlines. Its status is excellent. The goal is that at heart is to reach ten million miles. Incredible ten million miles. Many people who meet during the various movements. One of them, Alex (Vera Farmiga), fascinates him, trapping him, his travels thus become a bit 'less instrumental and a bit' more human. A relationship develops between the two. Third stage entrance. A young graduate, Natalie Keener (Anna Kendric) is supporting so vehemently, a project that allows her dismissal "from the ground" in the sense that, the unfortunate party, sitting in front of the monitor gets the sack over the internet. Ryan is forced to return home. Witnessing a demonstration and exposes all its perplexities. Miss Natalie claims that did not mind that this type of profession needs a "human linguistic semantics" and not "computerized management of human feelings." But you know, when you can save millions of dollars at the expense of the mental health ... do not think twice. Indeed, we do not think so. Ryan suggests to his boss to entrust Natalie, so will the "field" whether his theories deserve to be reviewed. Begins with Natalie unprecedented adventure, learn the rhythms and techniques of flight, initial approaches are not happy. The novel taste flyer on his body the marks they leave the informal words, without the bon-ton human relationships. The boyfriend download by SMS. I stop here to not remove the viewer the pleasure of discovery. ... The plot is nice and full bodied. Love, economic welfare, psychological and physical discomfort, maturity and youth, experience and novitiate, certainties and uncertainties, isolation and companionship, joy and sadness there is something for everyone. These themes are presented with such elegance and sobriety. Almost in a whisper. When you reach a goal achieved with sacrifice "flights" growing up. Whether this objective tell you that you have reached when you are "on" How do you feel? Ryan feels like the end of his journey? For miles routes, will add a few meters? Ulysses was a flyer, in a sense, returned to Ithaca, he finds his wife and son. Throughout his travels, he has never forgotten the ultimate goal. The return home. His house, his suffering, emotional stability. See, in conclusion, what he left. Its origins. Even Ryan there are traces of Odysseus. I think.

Welcome aboard and good trip.
  6. Sep 2, 2010
    Generally funny, and heartwarming. Up in the Air proves to be Jason Reitman's best since Juno. George Clooney is brilliant as the cut-throat businessman being grounded by his company, while his co-stars Farmiga and Kendrick are also outstanding. The story was definitely interesting and proves to be one of the best films of last year.
  7. Sep 7, 2010
    Great movie. I was really pulling for Clooney to win the Oscar but I guess Jeff Bridges finally deserved one. I was pleasantly surprised by Anna Kendrick's performance. I had no idea that anyone from Twilight could actually act but she did a great job. In a way this was a very sad but real movie.
  8. Sep 19, 2010
    One of the best new movies I've seen in a long time. It met all my expectations. With the charm and comedic sensibilities of Broadcast News, the brutal realism of Glengarry Glen Ross and the humanity of Planes, Trains and Automobiles, this movie is a must-see.
  9. Mar 16, 2012
    One of my favorite films ever, is amazing, incedible, emotive. And the better... the cast, Anna Kendrick, Vera Farmiga, George Clooney, are amazing. The story can be sad, but the film is fantastic. Up in the Air is a classic.
  10. Jul 23, 2013
    How is this movie so well liked? George Clooney and Vera Farmiga's characters are just completey unlikable and the story almost literally goes nowhere. The most interesting character was Zach Galifianakis' character who appears for less then a minute.
  11. Aug 22, 2010
    If you want to see 'George Clooney' play 'George Clooney' then good for you, you'll love this! If you don't want to feel like an unsophisticated plebian while watching these 2 incredibly smug people seeing who has the best comeback I'd recommend a pass, watch Lost in Translation instead, it's much better. Also the feel of this film is like pretentious wannabee Oscar material. in fact pretentious basically sums this movie up. For Smug, high Class idiots really. Expand
  12. Sep 1, 2010
    Up in the Air is a wonderful film that I've just seen two times already! George Clooney is one my favorite actors of all time and one of the coolest guys ever and he did really good on his performance. Vera Farmiga & Anna Kendrick did their job really supportive and very clever. The scenes are very good like they travel away to United States with great cinematography with each shot of the clouds,cities,and course the entire cast. The story is very interesting way that you see Clooney was traveling to each airport and tells the perfect story about his life that he do all day for working on the company that he fires to everyone in their jobs. I really love this movie of all time and one of the best 2009 films ever! And one of my favorite films in my decade of 2000's. Expand
  13. Feb 6, 2012
    Up in the Air was one of the best movies of 2009. George Clooney gave a great performance and the movie was funny and heartwarming. It managed to do what most movies can't do. Feel real.
  14. Sep 28, 2010
    Being a minor with not much responsibility other than taking the next test or completing a major homework assignment, I have not really been affected by the downturn of the economy. I can see how other people are affected by it, but I have not really felt what it is like to lose a job, losing a home, or having no money to my name.

Jason Reitman's (director of Juno) explores the downturn
    of the economy through characters Ryan Bringham played by veteran George Clooney. Ryan is hired by other companies to fire workers simply because the managers do not have the "balls" to do so. Bringham experiences the fast life, traveling from city to city, only really exploring the airport and the monotonous lives of office buildings. During his ventures to airports, he meets fellow Alex Goran, Vera Farmiga, a fellow "fast-lifer" and goes into a "casual" relationship with her. Clooney is content with his life of little personal human communication until young Natalie Keener, Anna Kendrick (Twilight), tries to make Clooney's company more "efficient," threatening Clooney's lifestyle. Clooney then spends most of the film taking Keener to fire people showing her that her "developments" will ruin the basis of the job.

Up In The Air is a commendable movie. Being a fan of Juno and other "hipster" films, I immediately fell in love with the artistic shots, indie music, and funny one-liners. But unlike Juno, Reitman's film actually has meaning. It is a true representation of today's economy, focusing and conveying the "lows" of our society. Up In The Air is not a "feel-good" movie as it portrays death, loss, and love, in a very negative way. But because of this, it establishes the purpose of the film, showing life is ugly.

The cast of the movie achieves a well-acted feat. George Clooney acts in his truly apathetic character to the point of realism. Although Clooney performs an Oscar-worthy performance, his character's emotions are not consistent throughout the movie. Clooney's character goes through an emotional change, that would seem to drastic for it to be possible. Clooney's love interest, Vera Farmiga likewise plays her character to perfection without the flaws of an emotional change. Although actors Clooney and Farmiga make this film shine, Anna Kendrick's performance is less than stellar. Kendrick, known for her roles in Twilight, doesn't move beyond the teen acting she displays in the teen-vampire hit. Her character is important to the story, but I sometimes found her character to be both bothersome and somewhat annoying. Kendrick's performance got her a nomination for Best Supporting Actress for the Golden Globes which in my opinion, is not deserved. The acting in Up In The Air is great, but it contains some minor flaws that can be overlooked.

Up In The Air is a movie that I recommend to most mature movie goers. Like Jason Reitman's other directed films, it has a dark feel that leads to a good film. Young audiences will not appreciate this film, of course, due to a representation that will just "go over their heads." The final song in the credits composed by an average citizen, sums this movie up, as it brings reality to the film from a true representative. Never has a film's credits been so touching. Overall, Up In The Air is the movie that this recession will be represented by for generations to come.
  15. Nov 18, 2010
    The best movie of 2009. The characters and events in the film are fairly different from those in the book by Walter Kirn, but I enjoyed both. The main and supporting actors performed really well. Anna Kendrick showed how great she can be. Jason Reitman keeps improving as a director besting Juno, which bested Thank You For Smoking. Great satire.
  16. Aug 27, 2011
    It was a well done movie, but I was bored in the middle of it, so I've left. I watched the other half few days later so. I don't know. It didn't keep my attention. I wouldn't say it was predictable. I thought that George and Vera's character will hook up and get married but it wasn't so. I also like Anna's character and that's all. All together, it was boring. Fans of George Clooney are gonna love it. Expand
  17. Nov 26, 2010
    A very entertaining and intriguing story of a man and his peculiar job. I'm not sure how realistic the whole plot was but nevertheless I think the film was able to captivate the audience for the majority of the time. Some parts of the film was pretty humorous but other parts seemed a bit boring and pointless. Still, it was a brilliant performance by Clooney and Kendrick, other actors/actress weren't too bad either. The film generally does well to depict the story of a corporate business expert and maybe a child prodigy, which is a pretty unique experience. This is not a very fast paced film but not too slow and boring either. It is very enjoyable if you have the time to sit back and relax. Probably not suited for people with a small attention span or lack of intelligence. I'd give it 8/10 just put 10 to boost the score as it doesn't reflect how good the film is atm. :P Collapse
  18. Jul 15, 2012
    Up in the Air is a fantastic piece of existential character study. Powered by a masterful performance by George Clooney, the movie hits all the right notes before coming to a subtle yet wrenching conclusion. Excelling in all departments from directing to soundtrack, Up in the Air is a must see.
  19. Dec 31, 2010
    Overall I enjoyed this movie and appreciated its complex, all-is-not-black-or-white message. However, I had a few issues with it. For instance, WHO would buy into that "What's in your backpack" message? Companies want to create the illusion that they're warm and fuzzy families, and no one would tolerate someone who blatantly told them to fly solo. That sideline plot hit us over the head with a message that we already "got" just by observing Clooney. Also, the George Clooney character never seems lonely, sad, or depressed until he learns his lesson about the importance of having a co-pilot. The movie could have done more to make you think he KNEW was missing something in life, because he seemed quite satisfied. But as I said, it's an excellent movie, despite its flaws. Expand
  20. Jan 20, 2011
    It is a simple and spontaneous movie, but it turns out to be deep and inspirational one. The movie directed by Jason Reitman, the young Director and the son of Ivan Reitman. Ivan Reitman known-well as a Producer and acclaimed Director, through his fun and pop corn movies such as: GHOSTBUSTERS (1984), KINDERGARTEN COP (1990), and EVOLUTION (2001). Flip over with his father, Jason Reitman known-well in these recent years as thoughtful and serious but enjoyable dramas like: THANK YOU FOR SMOKING (2005) and JUNO (2007). The trio Casts in thiz movie fill the characters properly. George Clooney once again shows his talent on the one man show, Clooney is one of the Actors could delivers such character with his aura. Vera Farmiga appears a little bit sexy, charming, and loveable. It is a fantastic flirtatious appearance. Anna Kendricks emerges annoying but acquired sympathy in the end, just fit well on her character. The unique story is about Ryan Bingham (Clooney) who is a frequent flyer across the states. His job is to fire people, representing his boss that did not bold enough to do it himself. Maybe for many people, thiz is a life drama movie. But personally for me, thiz is a great romantic movie with the most of scenes contain with tremendous chemistry between Clooney and Farmiga. It has been a long time I did not have such a feeling since LOST IN TRANSLATION (2003). In the end, The movie was convincing us that we need a partner in life. It is ironically played by life-time bachelor Clooney (in the real life-at least until now). Yup, maybe that is true, Everybody needs a co-pilot.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  21. Feb 22, 2011
    Good movie. It was a great display of life as some one who's always travels for there company. I think this was a good role for George Clooney and he did a great job.
  22. Mar 15, 2011
    Up in the air was witty and funny. It's a story about a man who doesn't realize how lonely he really his and how he changes as a person throughout the movie. Not to mention George Clooney was outstanding, he fit the role perfectly.
  23. May 21, 2011
    This is one of my favorite movies. George Clooney is an amazing actor, and should have gotten the Oscar. In fact, this movie should have gotten the Oscar over the Hurt Locker. It's such a beautiful look into what love and relationships are, without taking a side either way.
  24. Jun 13, 2011
    A mature comedy-drama for adults with a really neat twist at the end. All the principle actors are really fine and the direction is right on, with a first rate screenplay and dialog. One of my favorites and one of George Clooney's best.
  25. Oct 9, 2011
    Up in the Air is a movie that I found myself relating to on many levels and its impact I found personal, something that is missing from most movies. The characters are very real, the theme of how boring everyday life can be is interesting and the 3rd act of the film is awesome and memorable. The interviews and theme of people losing their jobs seems relevant on one hand but a little forced and disconnected to the main plot but its only a minor gripe. Up In The Air is great and a must see. Highly recommended. Expand
  26. Oct 15, 2011
    I don't really like this kind of romantic films but this time I kinda liked it. Liked the acting performances but imo George Clooney's role was pathetic. I really appreciated the lack of happy-ending.
  27. Dec 27, 2011
    "Up In The Air" One Line Review! "A-"

Extremely timely, thought provoking and emotional - And just when I thought they were going to wrap things up a little too neatly, BAM - I loved it, I think everyone would benefit from seeing it.
  28. Jul 18, 2011
    Good little film, not the funniest or most dramatic film ive ever seen but well acted, directed and shot with a good script and likeable characters who make you want to see more of them after the credits have rolled. Having said that, my wife hated it and fell asleep before the end!
  29. CRL
    Jul 30, 2011
    Billed to me as a comedy, Up in the Air is much more than that. It's an emotionally moving and laugh-inducing drama with stellar acting from George Clooney. The premise is so sarcastically dry, as is Clooney's character, that by itself it invokes a few laughs. Add to that some surprisingly dark themes towards the ending and it becomes complete in every possible way.
  30. Mar 1, 2012
    Although marketed and advertised as a comedy-drama film, this movie truthfully skimps on the laughs but redeems itself in the dramatic sense. However there are so many different themes in 'Up in the Air' one could be forgiven in thinking the flick (in itself) is a self-motivational handout. Sadly some are left unanswered. Despite that George Clooney is excellently cast in the lead which matches his public persona of being quite charming but the standout has to be Vera Farmiga; a desirable choice for Clooney's love interest. Expand
  31. Mar 12, 2012
    I really liked this movie. Solid acting by the cast, An interesting plot, and overall its just a solid film that I really enjoyed watching. Im suprised that the fans dont like it more but hey, I guess its not for everyone. But to me, Its definently worth the watch.
  32. Feb 16, 2012
    A truly enjoyable movie from start to finish. makes you ponder abt your life and future. A compelling performance from the cast. Good storyline combined with powerful cast and amazing direction and cinematography of the movie. what more can i ask for?
  33. Aug 27, 2014
    Jason Reitman + George Clooney + Vera Farmiga + Anna Kendrick = cinematic perfection. Smart and bold. You know it's good when you begin to question your own life.
  34. Mar 30, 2013
    Up in the Air is a film that is tiresome and worthless, with characters I didn't like one bit. What fascinates me the most is how this film can put someone to sleep faster than a lullaby. A pointless dull film.
  35. Mar 31, 2012
    A very boring film. The acting is overpraised so much that it is ridiculous. The critics are so wrong. Everything about it, had nothing new to offer. This movie even makes me more sick of George than I already am.
  36. Aug 25, 2012
    I think the critics went slightly overboard when reviewing this film. It is a good film which is funny in places but at times it seems far too stuck up itself to realise when it is waning from the plot. Reitman continues to produce good films but this is not his best work as some would have you believe.
  37. Nov 15, 2012
    The best part of Up in the Air isn't the excellent performances or even the pitch-perfect script, it's how real the movie is, and that comes from Reitman's careful direction.
  38. Feb 24, 2013
    Just a terrific film! An honest picture of charming, but flawed, people. Perfectly acted by George Clooney, Vera Farmiga, and Anna Kendrick. Brilliant script, brilliant film!
  39. Apr 20, 2013
    The movie's subtle thematic plot, at first, confuses and leaves the audience with a hollow, unfulfilled catharsis at the end.........................................
  40. Jan 6, 2013
    A great movie of a solitary life. Everything in this movie makes me sad and I find it beautiful. George Clooney is back again and he is amazing. The writing is sharp and witty with a fun story about what it's like in the modern society.
  41. Jun 26, 2014
    I gave this a 9 before, but I'm going to lower my score now for a few reasons. There are spots in this movie that are somewhat un-engaging and boring. These scenes are at odds with the rest of the movie which is entertaining, lively, and sharply directed by Reitman. The dialogue is realistic, the performances are believable, and there are even some unexpected turns. From a filmmaking standpoint the movie is almost flawless. It's just that the audience for this film is somewhat limited. It's being called a comedy, but it's really a straightforward drama. It's not really even a hybrid of the two like Reitman's own Juno or Silver Linings Playbook. It might not be funny, but I'd still take this over the cliché crap that usually comes out of this genre. Expand
  42. Oct 30, 2013
    I really really enjoyed this movie. It was bitter sweet in a wonderful way. The story flowed nicely and Clooney's character suited him extremely well. It doesn't end in the happiest ending but that is what makes it a good movie. I would definitely recommend this movie to anybody.
  43. Dec 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Slickly rendered and intelligently scripted, offering a deft mixture of comedy and pathos, "Up in the Air" is entertaining but also painstakingly grounded in reality, seamlessly entwining humor with an existentially bleak edge that this troubled era of downsizing and recession makes all the more meaningful and relevant.

As far as acting goes, the performances here are exceptional, and are largely what makes it work. J. K. Simmons and Steve Eastin are fantastic in their brief but brilliant cameos as fired employees; Amy Morton and Jason Bateman offer some good supporting work; and Vera Farmiga and Anna Kendrick deliver richly layered performances in their respective roles, Kendrick in particular. But George Clooney is the centerpiece of the film evoking Ryan Bingham with charisma and suave interlaced with loneliness, desperation and fear.

A fantastic view.
  44. Jul 3, 2014
    Run away if you see Clooney in a suit next time.
    It's a pathetic movie.I watched 3 clooney movies consecutively after getting overwhelmed by seen 'Burn after reading" it is a very good satire movie.Love that one(congrats to COEN bros,love them too after this movie)
    What is George clooney? an MBA holder working as CFO in one of the MNCs ,if so he has performed very well.
    But i didn't
    download the movie to see how good he is in corporate affairs.A boring,not at all interesting movie.Good performance by actors.but i hate this movie.I got similar experiences from his recent 2 movies too(Syriana,Michael Clayton).All these films are like some David fincher movie with full of dialogues as if they were made to test the retention skills of actors,no twists,wits,action,comedy,sentiments .They are political movies dealing with contemporary American lives but ..as a movie it doesn't present the matters in a more digestible way with good stands ,but for that purpose a documentary is good don't waste our time by producing such 'Mr.Perfect man in Suite movies'. Expand
  45. Jul 27, 2014
    Have just seen this - though I like GC I CANNOT understand how it got such rave reviews. This film is absolutely crap. Characters whilst well played are unsympathetic, the story goes nowhere - got to the end wondering what was the point of this film? There is none in fact .... I don't need happy endings but I would like an ending - did the writer run out of ideas? Sorry just rubbish

1. Reviewed by: Stephen Farber
    It's rare for a movie to be at once so biting and so moving. If Ryan's future seems bleak, there's something exhilarating about a movie made with such clear-eyed intelligence.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    The timing in the Clooney-Farmiga scenes is like splendid tennis, with each player surprising the other with shots but keeping the rally going to breathtaking duration.
  3. Up in the Air is poised to be a smash, and Clooney--slim, dark, perfectly tailored--glamorizes insincerity in a way that makes you want to go out and lie.