8.8

1. Nov 7, 2011
    How many movies have an old man as a lead character? Very few, and its this original approach to film making that makes Pixar so good. The characters, story, animation and design of this film are brilliantly crafted. Up is just sort of being a masterpiece, it's a great animated American movie.
  2. Jun 28, 2011
    This film, I found it very well made. It has a serious story line but great depth of character and some very funny seance. its slower pace sets it of from other animations with its dark beginning showing it to be film encompassing older generations.
  3. Dec 27, 2011
    "Up" One Line Review!

A bit too tearjerky for me, and the plot moved a smidge too conveniently but there were some good jokes and the digital 3-D was really cool and well done, it was seamlessly implemented - worth watching.
  4. Apr 1, 2012
    I'm two years late to the party, but glad I arrived there anyways. I rarely get moved by a movie, but this one had me on the brink of crying more than once. The characters are likeable, the surroundings beautiful, and the story emotional. If you haven't seen it already I highly advice you to do so.
  5. Aug 12, 2011
    This one is real, incredibly powerful, full of eye-popping visuals and a complicated protagonist that is introduced in an almost perfect way with a truly flawless montage to explain his life
  6. Dec 11, 2011
    Delivering some real laughs and interesting moments at the first minutes, "Up" sounds quite promising. But as soon as the plot starts to develop, you realize that "Up" is a good movie but is far away from being a Pixar masterpiece.
  7. Aug 29, 2011
    Uplifting,emotional and comedic. Mixed in perfect proportion.A treat to enjoy and ponder over.The film manages to together universal themes and in the process lead the viewer through an amazing journey complete with fantastic vistas,nail-biting tensionand if there's no one else nearby some choice words toobased on character foibles.
  8. Jan 25, 2013
    reviewers had warned me and exited me before i saw this movie, and i immediately saw it twice, and a third time with director's commentary. pixar's up is so unbelievably good that i am now turning it into a moviegoers duty to once see this movie as a sort of holy pilgrimage. why is it so epic? because it's got everything. action, beautiful set pieces and animation, and, on top of it all,reviewers had warned me and exited me before i saw this movie, and i immediately saw it twice, and a third time with director's commentary. pixar's up is so unbelievably good that i am now turning it into a moviegoers duty to once see this movie as a sort of holy pilgrimage. why is it so epic? because it's got everything. action, beautiful set pieces and animation, and, on top of it all, and at the very core, because it's a deeply philosophical movie and a great teacher, and it parallels it's joy so much with it's sadness that it creates a memorable and heave experience. what i like most about the philosophical element is that all the characters are built around a theme, and they all mean something and have something to say, which makes every one stick to my memory. every person in their lifetime has to see up before dying. Expand
  9. Nov 16, 2011
    Up is a great animated film that is among the best from Pixar. It has the most heart warming story that Pixar has ever had and the characters are great.
  10. Nov 20, 2011
    cross your heart.a promise keep all lifetime,a lifetime for a dream,that's awesome.adventure is out there,just follow you heart,work for your dream,what the **** least 150 characters long.
  11. Jun 25, 2013
    Pixar may have created some of their finest work yet in the form of Up, it really packs an emotional punch that is difficult to find these days with real actors involved, but they manage to tell a love story and have a father/son or grandfather/grandson dynamic in this film that also show wonderful visuals that outline just how far the company has come since its Toy Story days.
    With a
    With a wonderful opening montage that is almost void of any speaking, we are shown a heartbreaking story of love and loss, we are introduced to Carl, and elderly man who is the last remaining housing owner on a piece of land that is trying to be taken away to make room for some major development.
    Carl is threatened with a retirement home so makes plans to get away to Paradise Falls, a place "lost in time", he attaches thousands of balloons to his house and floats off into the sky, but with added guests.
    Russell, a young scout who accidentally tagged along, proves a welcome and hilarious friend for the ageing Carl, his witty lines but angelic charm have made him an unforgettable character in the Pixar family.
    The themes within the film are edgy but realistic in Pixar terms. A film that deals with death, hints of fatherly abandonment and getting old are indeed tough but heartfelt messages, but these have been dealt with brilliantly, the whole film is an adventure of spontaneity and self discovery, don't necessarily plan everything in front of you but perhaps live a little and go with the flow. Carl has lived his whole life wishing to take hsi joinery, but only decides to do so at 78 years old.
    The character of Russell is wonderfully voice acted by Jordan Nagai, who shows the innocence but also sponge-like nature of a child, picking up on everything that their elders do, but there for some blunt truth when necessary. The adventures these two take the viewer on will leave you wanting more and more, with hilarious and over the top antics to rival in of this studios previous efforts.
    This is without doubt one of Pixar's finest efforts, it has plenty of clever but also slapstick humour, an even mix to appeal to the audience in masses, a heartfelt and motivational story of life going on, and is certainly a visual spectacle to behold.
  12. Nov 22, 2011
    An excellent movie through and through, with silly scenes and a pretty good story. Animations are outstanding. The characters are great. The story seems shaky at times, and it doesn't really keep you interested at times. But, I definitely recommend this movie to anyone at any age.
  13. Jan 16, 2012
    Up is timeless, emotional, heartfelt; everything in Up is in the right place its humor, heart and characters everything is just timeless and wonderful. I give this film 97%.
  14. Jun 10, 2012
    Very good and humorous film about an old old man sat in his house on his favourite chair next to his wifes who unfortunately passed away a couple of years back, until he meets a scout boy named Russell, who is wanting his last badge called the "wilderness explorer" badge. Russell and his new old best friend goes flying over the rooftops of thousands of houses to get to the place where theVery good and humorous film about an old old man sat in his house on his favourite chair next to his wifes who unfortunately passed away a couple of years back, until he meets a scout boy named Russell, who is wanting his last badge called the "wilderness explorer" badge. Russell and his new old best friend goes flying over the rooftops of thousands of houses to get to the place where the old man has promised his old wife to go, South America, to a waterfall where they could build a house they have planned since the early ages of life, can he get there with a helping hand of Russell and some friends? Personally I LOVED this film and I am surprised there is some negative reviews!! :) great movie! Expand
  15. Dec 29, 2012
    Up is as charming and funny as any adult movie, and it keeps the morality and gentle humanity of a Pixar classic. This is a cinematic masterpiece to behold for all ages, as its flaws are few and far between.
  16. Oct 20, 2012
    to be honest i thought this movie was going to suck the characters are very memorable and the storyline is amazing and 5 minutes in the movie has almost and or balling your eyes out pixar make the best cgi movie and most luckly will always make the best cgi movies this movie is touching moving funny and inspiring you serious let out every emotion possible during this movie and thats theto be honest i thought this movie was going to suck the characters are very memorable and the storyline is amazing and 5 minutes in the movie has almost and or balling your eyes out pixar make the best cgi movie and most luckly will always make the best cgi movies this movie is touching moving funny and inspiring you serious let out every emotion possible during this movie and thats the kind of movie that deserves a 10 Expand
  17. Feb 16, 2012
    Pixar rarely disappoints. Another brilliant movie. A very colourful, intriguing and moving movie that will keep you anticipated the whole time. A variety of emotions were felt in this roller coaster ride especially the flashbacks which hits you hard. Definitely worth the nomination of Best Picture. Highly recommended.
  18. Mar 23, 2012
    The most powerful animated film ever made. Truly amazing. I am NOT ashamed to admit that, for most of the movie, I had tears streaming down my face (either due to laughter or sorrow). This is an example of what ALL movies should aspire to achieve: Truth, beauty, and downright awesomeness. :D In Christ, Jesrin.
  19. Nov 23, 2013
    Possibly the most entertaining and heartwarming animated movie I have ever seen. Disney once again creates a touching story that will please children and adults alike.
  20. Jul 1, 2013
    Up had a great beginning, an unimpressive middle, and a pleasant ending. It is far from the best material Pixar has produced. You get the feeling it could had been so much more imaginative considering the premise was wonderful.
  21. Apr 7, 2012
    Disney-Pixar have almost consistently produced films to a superb standard in recent years and Up does not just meet this standard but raise it further. As with its predecessors, the animation is great and the story is amusing and rich in sentiment but what makes Up stand out above the rest is the combination of unusual characters, odd story and superb Oscar winning score. With theDisney-Pixar have almost consistently produced films to a superb standard in recent years and Up does not just meet this standard but raise it further. As with its predecessors, the animation is great and the story is amusing and rich in sentiment but what makes Up stand out above the rest is the combination of unusual characters, odd story and superb Oscar winning score. With the exception of The Incredibles, Pixar have traditionally stayed away from humans as central characters. However, in Up the main characters are Mr. Fredricksen, a lonely, grumpy old man and Russell, a plump young explorer scout. An unlikely pair who are unintentionally thrown together as Mr. Fredricksen transports his house to South America using helium filled balloons to escape moving from his home. There they meet a group of talking dogs, an endangered bird and Mr. Fredricksen's childhood hero as the adventure and fun continues.

As plots go it is one of the most bizarre yet from Pixar but it's a fun journey and the writers actually cover the pretty serious themes of ageing and missed opportunities, loneliness and friendship along the way. The montage at the beginning of the film displaying the life Mr. Fredricksen shared with his wife, from their childhood to her death, is beautifully made and, supported by the superb score, is an incredibly emotive piece of film making.

If you are looking for an enjoyable, funny film for the family then you can not do much better than Up.
  22. Jun 21, 2012
    Up was so much better then I thought. Why give it a 6 A 5 or 2 out of 10? This film was amazing so just watch it. Up 9.5/10
  23. CDQ
    Jun 28, 2012
    I have come to expect a lot from Pixar. They have consistently churned out wonderful movies, and I had heard Up was no exception. Unfortunately, I don't think that Up is nearly up to par with Pixar's best. The movie starts out fantastic, but it quickly falls apart. By the time we reach the second half, the movie has devolved into a mess. I think my main problem with Up is that it isI have come to expect a lot from Pixar. They have consistently churned out wonderful movies, and I had heard Up was no exception. Unfortunately, I don't think that Up is nearly up to par with Pixar's best. The movie starts out fantastic, but it quickly falls apart. By the time we reach the second half, the movie has devolved into a mess. I think my main problem with Up is that it is the only Pixar movie where I cannot nag the feeling that everything is so implausible. How utterly unrealistic it was bothered me the whole movie, and this is saying something coming from someone who wasn't bothered by rats cooking. None of the characters in Up are particularly memorable. It just didn't connect with me in the way that other Pixar movies have. Expand
  24. Mar 8, 2014
    It's sweet, emotional, and hilarious adventure from Pixar. Adults would probably enjoy this film more than kids, but nevertheless, this is a great family & kids film.
  25. May 23, 2012
    just face it disney pixar is THE best at animation nothing can beat them when it comes to animation Wall E: 10/10
    Ratatouille: 10/10
    The Incredibles: 10/10
    Up: 10/10
    Toy Story 1,2 and 3: 10/10 x 3
    EVERY PIXAR MOVIE: 10/10
  26. Dec 23, 2012
    Quite simply Pixar's best film to date. The emotional journey coupled with the eye-popping visuals makes for a film that deals with themes of tragedy, grief and loss encapsulated in such a sweet package - you won't be able to resist. This bravura film leaps beyond the apparent restrictions of an animated film with mature themes whilst still maintaining the innocent sentiments at heart.
  27. Jul 8, 2012
    This could arguably be Pixars greatest work, the first five minutes is without a doubt the greatest opening in cinema, getting all emotional scenes from every film in history and putting them into one beautifully told and stunning scenes. If the film had lived up to this it would undeniably be in the top 10 greatest films in history, but it turns into adventure that is so admirable. PixarThis could arguably be Pixars greatest work, the first five minutes is without a doubt the greatest opening in cinema, getting all emotional scenes from every film in history and putting them into one beautifully told and stunning scenes. If the film had lived up to this it would undeniably be in the top 10 greatest films in history, but it turns into adventure that is so admirable. Pixar again creates gorgeous visuals and a setting that is truly stunning, it Expand
  28. Aug 25, 2012
    'Up' is funny, heartrending and lovingly made - very good pictures! But the story with the talking dogs is a bit silly and probably just there to fill time. Also, there are many goofs but that's okay. All in all, one of the best disney movies of all time - a good time for childs and grown-ups!
  29. Nov 9, 2012
    Everyone talks about how sad this movie is, or at least about how sad the beginning is. Personally, I don't think that "sad" is the best word. It was more like...brilliant. Smooth story telling dense with emotion, irresistible humor, lovable and distinct characters, the perfect dose of peril and of course spot on animation. With this moving adventure of love, companionship and discoveringEveryone talks about how sad this movie is, or at least about how sad the beginning is. Personally, I don't think that "sad" is the best word. It was more like...brilliant. Smooth story telling dense with emotion, irresistible humor, lovable and distinct characters, the perfect dose of peril and of course spot on animation. With this moving adventure of love, companionship and discovering the real treasures in life, Pixar has managed to, once again, touch us to the core with the simplest of gestures and in the process add another sparkling gem to their vault. Expand
  30. Nov 5, 2013
    This movie is the only animated movie that made me cry. it´s story is so heartwarming it´s charchaters are grow on you. this movie you must watch or if you donýou will miss one of the most satfiying movies of all time
  31. Dec 3, 2012
    I love the message behind this movie, even though it had such sad moments it is beautiful to understand that it is ok to dream and even though things do not happen the way we first think they would, doesn't mean they wouldn't happen at all.
  32. May 4, 2015
    Brilliant first act where emotions ride high. Beautiful, heartwarming and special. However, from the middle of the film to the end it does not feel that special and suffers a clear decline in originality and quality. Still very good nonetheless. Visually stunning and colourful. Great concept that suffers towards the end of the film. A 7.5 out of 10.
  33. Feb 5, 2013
    I was really excited for this because it would be the first I can root for a human protagonist (I wasn't a big fan of The Incredibles yet). Pixar upped the ante with this one as it takes the characters from a bustling city to the labyrinthine wilderness. It has the most touching opening of all the movies I've seen and things just get better as the movie progresses.
  34. Feb 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A Thirst for Adventure
    UP is able to create a story that is so riveting and enthralling, you hardly pay attention to the fact that it is an animated adventure. It starts with a miniature story all in its own, of a boy and girl who fall in love and live together happily, then the woman passes away, and his second, more geriatric adventure begins.
    Hate the villains, love the heroes. That is the goal of all movies when it comes to creation of antagonists and protagonists is it not? Up manages to create characters that take form into real people. Their development adds to the peril of the movie by giving a tie to the characters. During most of the movie, a soft background music hums away, gently, hardly loud enough to notice. Without this music however, the story would be lacking a certain quaint feel. Soft and whimsical during the highs, low and menacing during the lows, this movie seems to have all the music exactly where it needs to be. In Pixar fashion, UP is a superbly animated film, unparalleled by any other “cartoons” of its time. UP is definitely in my recommended movies list. No matter how old, or young, all are welcome in this story of heroism and adventure.
  35. Mar 18, 2013
    Apart from Toy Story, this is truly Pixar's finest work to date. Not many studios can make an audience feel this much emotion for a character within the first 15 minutes of a film, but Pixar pulled it off. The rest of the film is brilliant to; it makes you laugh, it makes you cry and it keeps you immensely entertained throughout. One of my favorite films of all time.
  36. Jun 28, 2013
    A hilarious and emotional masterpiece by Pixar. Arguably one of their best films to date. The movie is full of memorable characters, witty dialogue, and excellent animation. A must see.
  37. Jun 18, 2013
    Another great Pixar movie that has characters that you can connect with. Especially Ed Asner's character, you really feel the love he had for his wife and the pain he goes through when she dies. Also the other characters including Doug the dog and Kevin the snipe make for the fun adventure.
  38. Jan 19, 2015
    I had a lots of fun! No matter if you like animations or no, i think you are going to enjoy this great Disney Pixar animation! Nice overall story and characters with some minor weaknesses! 7/10 Recommended
  39. Mar 25, 2013
    Hilarious and beautifully written story of a man and a boy navigating through the world of Paradise Falls.
  40. Jun 9, 2013
    This is a Pixar movie that really took me by surprise. It really made me like more than I thought I would. The story is marvelous, the characters are very interesting and the plot is unbelievable. What really surprised me in this movie is how much this movie really has heart. I mean, all Pixar movies have heart, but this one has a lot of it. Basically because the story is about how CarlThis is a Pixar movie that really took me by surprise. It really made me like more than I thought I would. The story is marvelous, the characters are very interesting and the plot is unbelievable. What really surprised me in this movie is how much this movie really has heart. I mean, all Pixar movies have heart, but this one has a lot of it. Basically because the story is about how Carl has to deal with losing his wife. It really impacted my heart-strings in a way that no Pixar movie had done before. Plus, it has its really funny moments as well. I was afraid that this movie would have that quirky childish-like humor, but honestly it didn't. It worked really well for both kids and adults in a much different way. Even the music was made perfectly to the tone of the movie. This movie is definitely in the top 3 best Pixar movies ever made. Not only that, but it's also in my top 5 movies ever made. Overall, it's a powerful Pixar movie. Expand
  41. Apr 26, 2013
    The best 3d animation i have see! The script is very sad, but show us how the life can be simple. On that movie you remember how important is promise.
  42. Jun 2, 2013
    The best Pixar film by far. The emotional breakthrough I had at the end the kindness and chivalry from the main character I left the theatre thinking everyone in the world should be like that
  43. Apr 4, 2014
    I like this movie very much.It has all the thing to make a movie good.I like background music at the starting very much.UP! has me feel Up.IF you are tired of watching drama watch this movie you will not get tired
  44. Jul 4, 2013
    "Up" is charming, heartwarming, and a clever movie that proves that there are always good films out there, even animated. "Up" deals with the strong relationships that we all deal through in life when someone dies, and even though we've dealt with movies like this before, "Up" has human-like emotions, that it exceeds several of other love stories produced. Up's characters are wonderful"Up" is charming, heartwarming, and a clever movie that proves that there are always good films out there, even animated. "Up" deals with the strong relationships that we all deal through in life when someone dies, and even though we've dealt with movies like this before, "Up" has human-like emotions, that it exceeds several of other love stories produced. Up's characters are wonderful Carl Fredrickson is an old man who is cranky after his wife's death, but yes, he is likable as his story is so tragic. Russel is the annoying kid, but he deals with the fact that his parent's don't pay attention to him, and... it is emotional. "Up"'s plotline in impeccably told, and deals with the beauty of our world love. After watching "Up", it makes you realize our world and our people, and how we are all connected to others by love and this is beautiful to realize in times like these. Expand
  45. Aug 18, 2013
    Before watching this movie, I had little expectations for something little more than a cliché child's film, I discovered something more. A beautifully animated and written classic. It could possibly have the most emotional 4 minutes of a movie I have ever seen as well as heart gripping soundtrack. The comedy was heartwarming as well as the connection between Carl and Russel. Story tellingBefore watching this movie, I had little expectations for something little more than a cliché child's film, I discovered something more. A beautifully animated and written classic. It could possibly have the most emotional 4 minutes of a movie I have ever seen as well as heart gripping soundtrack. The comedy was heartwarming as well as the connection between Carl and Russel. Story telling at it's finest. Expand
  46. Jul 7, 2014
    The beginning is poignant and sad at the same time. The rest follows a heartfelt tale of a man's journey, not just to Paradise Falls. The trio of the old man, the scout, and the dog is not only funny, but like actual family. Pixar has so many greats on its agenda I doubt anyone can replicate it.
  47. Oct 31, 2013
    in my opinion this is the best actual film that walt disney pixar made,that is a lot of good characters in this film and almost all of them have their touch.
  48. Nov 15, 2013
    Up goes high.
    Another spectacular animated achievement from Pixar, Up is successful from beautiful artwork to a great story. A great movie with great emotion.
  49. Feb 14, 2014
    A stellar creation by Pixar. "Up" is a film I believe is for everyone. That somehow reaches into everyone's souls and pulls out the heart in them. Not just the heart, but the feeling of enjoyment that this film does intend to do. I enjoyed the film from start to finish, not just once, but several times over.
  50. Mar 14, 2014
    people say old people are just mean when you up it tells you old people have a big heart also pixar has a way to creative better films . i always love the old guy in this movie
  51. Apr 26, 2014
    Funny,touching,and incredibly good graphics this is by far one of my favourite pixar movie of all time.The characters are really funny,if i had to recommend a movie from pixar this is the one i would name.
  52. Jun 29, 2014
    There will be always somebody who doesn't like this film but what that person can't deny, is that "Up" is beautifully animated, incredibly well written, amazingly voiced (for every country), undeniably laugh-a-minute gags and another Pixar hit.
  53. Jul 20, 2014
    Para mi, la mejor película de animación hasta el momento, ya se que para muchos Toy Story es mejor, pero esta posee un gran guión, combina la risa con las lágrimas a la perfección, es simplemente una obra maestra.
  54. Sep 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Um filme perfeito. Com certeza um dos melhores da Pixar,se não o melhor. Mostra um velhinho que não quer desgrudar de sua casa por nada,e ainda vive o filme inteiro com o desejo de morar no Paraíso das Cachoeiras. O filme mostra superação e desbravamento. Palmas. Expand
  55. Oct 13, 2014
    Touching, hilarious, and really funny, not to mention that the opening part is so sad and heart-warming. This is a film that you need to see. It tells a great love story, has memorable characters, and is nothing but a great adventure.
  56. Oct 19, 2014
    Up is a comedy adventure about 78-year-old balloon salesman Carl Fredricksen, who finally fulfills his lifelong dream of a great adventure when he ties thousands of balloons to his house and flies away to the wilds of South America. But he discovers all too late that his biggest nightmare has stowed away on the trip: an overly optimistic 9-year-old Wilderness Explorer named Russell.
  57. Jun 30, 2015
    Another's Pixar's favourite. Good animation, as always, very original, incredibly emotional, very funny, and simply amazing. Pixar will never stop surprising me.
  58. Jan 14, 2015
    Up is a film that touches your heart emotionally with its great animation, touching story and loveable characters. A must watch for anyone, even the people who don't like animation need to experience this movie.
  59. Jun 25, 2015
    A beloved tear-shedding masterpiece, Disney's ever faithful Pixar makes its finest film yet since the Lion King, in a story about promises and a spirit for adventure.

Artistic and colorful as well as powerful in entertainment, this beloved gem chronicles the story of a grumpy depressed old man named Carl Fredericson who is still determined to fulfill his late wife's promise to travel to the mystic Paradise Falls a land lost in time, on their house carried by thousands of balloons. With a young boy scout accidentally tailing behind, a dog that can talk, and a giant exotic bird named Kevin joining on his quest, tCarl embarks on a soul searching journey that will change his life for ever and bring a new meaning into his life.

A heartwarming family story, of friendship and the great wilderness its a perfect movie about elderly adventure that is as tearful as "The Straight Story", theres drama, laughs and tears this film is a magnificent movie that must be seen by the whole family.

A great triumph for Pixar Animation
  60. Apr 6, 2015
    2nd best Pixar film ever. the charters are great the animation is great the story is decent but still really good. and if you know this movie the 1st 15 so minutes of this film are amazing.
  61. Apr 24, 2015
    "Up" is a wonderful film, with characters who are as believable as any characters can be who spend much of their time floating above the rain forests of Venezuela. They have tempers, problems and obsessions. They are cute and goofy, but they aren't cute in the treacly way of little cartoon animals. They're cute in the human way of the animation master Hayao Miyazaki. Two of the three"Up" is a wonderful film, with characters who are as believable as any characters can be who spend much of their time floating above the rain forests of Venezuela. They have tempers, problems and obsessions. They are cute and goofy, but they aren't cute in the treacly way of little cartoon animals. They're cute in the human way of the animation master Hayao Miyazaki. Two of the three central characters are cranky old men, which is a wonder in this youth-obsessed era. "Up" doesn't think all heroes must be young or sweet, although the third important character is a nervy kid.

This is another masterwork from Pixar, which is leading the charge in modern animation. The movie was directed by Pete Docter, who also directed "Monsters, Inc.," wrote "Toy Story" and was a co-writer on "WALL-E" before leaving to devote full time to this project. So Docter's one of the leading artists of this latest renaissance of animation.

The movie will be shown in 3-D in some theaters, about which I will say nothing, except to advise you to save the extra money and see it in 2-D. One of the film's qualities that is likely to be diminished by 3-D is its subtle and beautiful color palette. "Up," like "Finding Nemo," "Toy Story," "Shrek" and "The Lion King," uses colors in a way particularly suited to its content.

"Up" tells a story as tickling to the imagination as the magical animated films of my childhood, when I naively thought that because their colors were brighter, their character outlines more defined and their plots simpler, they were actually more realistic than regular films.

With vast inside spaces, the airship is outfitted like a great ocean liner from the golden age, with a stately dining room, long corridors, a display space rivaling the Natural History Museum and an attic spacious enough to harbor fighter planes. Muntz, who must be a centenarian by now, is hale, hearty and mean, his solitary life shared only by robotic dogs.

The adventures on the jungle plateau are satisfying in a Mummy/Tomb Raider/Indiana Jones sort of way. But they aren't the whole point of the film. This isn't a movie like "Monsters vs. Aliens," which is mostly just frenetic action. There are stakes here, and personalities involved, and two old men battling for meaning in their lives. And a kid who, for once, isn't smarter than all the adults. And a loyal dog. And an animal sidekick. And always that house and those balloons.
  62. Jul 1, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Up truly embodies the spirit of Pixar, or rather the spirit of adventure. What life throws at us is not always expected, and only through the charming characters of Carl and Russell do we truly see what it means to to go on an adventure. There's something ethereal and magical about Up, and even if animation isn't someone's cup of tea, this movie should be.

"Paradise Falls, a land lost in time." Carl and Ellie have always wanted to visit Paradise Falls but just never got the chance. As we see through an enchanting and heartbreaking montage, it's up to Carl to fulfill this dream on his own. Or with some unexpected companions. The intricate details and complex storylines lead us to realizations throughout, not just about childhood dreams, but about life. This movie can be taken so many different ways, and I think that's really the beauty of it.

The imagination portrayed throughout is just as if a child dreamed it up. Which they did, several yeares ago. Now, being somewhat older and wiser, it's up to Russell to carry out this role.

I've watched this movie in theaters, I've watched it in my middle school and high school classrooms. I can't even remember how many times I've seen it. But one thing I can remember is how my feelings towards it have changed. I've always loved it, but the first time I saw it I distinctly remember wincing every time the house and his belongings got hurt and wondering why he let it go at the end. But now, having grown up, it's like Carl and I have both realized the value of experiences and of people over material items. That's a lesson that takes time, and I think also a sign of a good movie. It grows as you do.

The most substantial relationship we see is that of Carl and Russell. In a way, they support each other and learn to be more caring and more wise. They even share the boring moments together. "That might sound boring, But I think the boring stuff is the stuff we remember the most." That also eases the burden on Carl's shoulder for never actually taking Ellie there to Paradise Falls. The house may almost represent the weight of that unfilled promises, and a series of events eventually lets him let go, knowing that Ellie had her own adventure, and no matter what she's always going to be there with him. Even if our childhood heroes turn out to actually be villains, a dream is important to have.

1. Winsome, touching and arguably the funniest Pixar effort ever, the gorgeously rendered, high-flying adventure is a tidy 90-minute distillation of all the signature touches that came before it.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A captivating odd-couple adventure that becomes funnier and more exciting as it flies along.
  3. By all means, see Up in its 3-D incarnation: The cliff drops are vertiginous, and the scores of balloons--bunched into the shape of one giant balloon--are as pluckable as grapes.