Ushpizin

8.1

1. CarolM.
    Mar 1, 2006
    Awesome! Love this movie! So poignant! Got to get a copy! Can't get the song out of my head, either!
  2. JoeS.
    May 14, 2006
    This movie was superb. A most remarkable portrayal of the inherent beauty of faith.
  3. ChadS.
    Sep 5, 2006
    The filmmaker's unwillingness to go all the way like Michael Haneke's "Funny Games" in dealing with the volatility of unwelcome guests within a pacific household hampers, but doesn't do irrevocable harm to a very unique film-going(or DVD-watching) experience. These two uncouth friends from the protagonist's past are genuinely menacing, so when the inevitable is The filmmaker's unwillingness to go all the way like Michael Haneke's "Funny Games" in dealing with the volatility of unwelcome guests within a pacific household hampers, but doesn't do irrevocable harm to a very unique film-going(or DVD-watching) experience. These two uncouth friends from the protagonist's past are genuinely menacing, so when the inevitable is circumvented by a collective change of heart in their attitudes towards Jewish Orthodoxy; "Ushpizin" ceases to be a real film and more like a promotion of religious ideology, the Hebrew equivalent to Christian films like "Left Behind". For the sake of religious tolerance, however, "Ushpizin" should be seen, even though it fritters away some very uncomfortable moments between the sanctified and the heathens at dinner-time. But really, only a certain Aussie would want this film to end like "Funny Games". Expand
  4. PhilipF.
    Oct 17, 2005
    Accurate in detail, well acted, poignent story. An inside view of how strong and complete a person's faith can be, and how each and every problem we encounter is but a test of our faith.
  5. NeilP.
    Oct 24, 2005
    Normally I don't like foreign movies with subtitles, but I loved this one. It is a charming comedy-drama that the whole family can enjoy together. "Fiddler on the Roof" meets "Miracle on 34th Street".
  6. SylviaS.
    May 5, 2006
    I loved this film. I laughed, and cried, and was lifted up by the love at the heart of this movie. The acting of Shuli Rand and his real-life wife, Bat-Sheva is superb. The film does a fine job of shedding light on the hasidic community about which there is so much misunderstanding.
  7. patriciab.
    Dec 5, 2005
    Great movie. A touching story very authenticly preformed. I loved.

1. Reviewed by: Jay Weissberg
    An enjoyable seriocomic tale of a poor couple whose holiday-time miracle becomes a test of faith.
  2. Stylistically Ushpizin belongs to a classic tradition of raucous Yiddish comedy that is easy to enjoy if taken lightly. At the same time, it sustains a double vision of ultra-Orthodox life.
    As directed by Gidi Dar, Ushpizin has a disarming folk quality.