6.1

1. ToddJ.
    Sep 2, 2002
    The worst movie I've seen this year. tell Tom Cruise I want my 3.99 back.
  2. JamesG.
    Jan 1, 2002
    I can only remember seeing one movie worse than this--"The Blair Witch Project." A total loss except for the close-ups of Penelope.
  3. Marta
    Mar 29, 2002
    This movie really disappoited me! It was one of the worst films I have ever watched! The storyline was terrible, and not forgetting the fact of seeing Tom Cruise's usually beautiful face distorted for 99% of the film!
    Jul 12, 2002
    Tom Cruise is mean, I don't like him.
  5. Anima
    Oct 2, 2005
    Well, before giving it a good rating, you gotta see the original ("Abre Los Ojos" by Alejandro Amenabar). Hate to disappoint you guys, but this one is total crap.. Unless you are one of those people without imagination, and you like all the answers being given to you, lefting no place for you to think, you should stay away from this remake. (Sorry for my English, I've only learned it Well, before giving it a good rating, you gotta see the original ("Abre Los Ojos" by Alejandro Amenabar). Hate to disappoint you guys, but this one is total crap.. Unless you are one of those people without imagination, and you like all the answers being given to you, lefting no place for you to think, you should stay away from this remake. (Sorry for my English, I've only learned it at school :) ). Expand
  6. AndrewC.
    Feb 4, 2002
    What can I say, get some big names and you get a load of viewers and a handful of them will like it.
  7. MikeyG.
    May 13, 2002
    Is this piece of crap still in the theatres? Who is watching this? The only reason I'm giving it a 1 is because Cameron Diaz is delightful in her role. However, she's barely in the friggen' movie! Penelope Cruz and Tom (I'm not gay) Cruise basically prove the Joey Tribbiani theory of acting and Tom's heterosexuality claims correct. Joey's theory, for those Is this piece of crap still in the theatres? Who is watching this? The only reason I'm giving it a 1 is because Cameron Diaz is delightful in her role. However, she's barely in the friggen' movie! Penelope Cruz and Tom (I'm not gay) Cruise basically prove the Joey Tribbiani theory of acting and Tom's heterosexuality claims correct. Joey's theory, for those who don't remember, is that a couple that exhibits hot chemistry on stage or on screen is not involved. Once they do it, the heat evaporates and there's nothing in the performances. Judging by Vanilla Sky, Tom can put all those homosexuality rumors to rest. Expand
  8. D.Migs
    Jun 15, 2002
    The dullest movie I've seen in years. The dialogue is asinine and will leave you with gapping mouth at the shear self-indulgence of this caca. A kind of Mulholland Drive for the simple minded. I remember the buzz at the release was cheering Tom for braving a disfigured on screen presence. Someone pass the barf bag -- I'm getting sick.
  9. Jenni
    Jun 18, 2002
    Too hard to follow. I cannot STAND Penelope Cruz and thought Cameron Diaz would be more prominent in the movie than airhead Penelope. Jason Lee is awesome as always though, but the film is just all over the place. Kinda like Traffic. I cannot STAND that.
  10. RogerE.
    Jun 8, 2002
    This movie is so bad it does not deserve a comment.
  11. DAXY.
    Aug 14, 2002
    This has got to be one of the worst movies I have ever seen. It tries so hard to be profound that it makes Disney seem deep! You want more meaning in your life?....wake up and don't waste your money on this one.
  12. ToddJ.
    Sep 2, 2002
    The worst movie I've seen this year. tell Tom Cruise I want my 3.99 back.
  13. mike
    Feb 14, 2005
    This movie fails big time! stay away.
  14. ArnoldP.
    Dec 17, 2001
    A gallant attempt by a terrific director, out of his element, finally results in a over the top film bore. Who really cares about this narcissistic playboy?, bravely played by Tom Cruise who resorts to smirking for too much of the film. Cameron Diaz does scores high job as a unsavory character. Why even remake this all too recent foreign flick?
  15. TroyP.
    Apr 27, 2002
    This movie confuses. All Tom likes to do is have sex in movies. Revolting, and unattractive. What was was the point? The original Spanish version "Open Your Eyes," though foreign, makes a hell of a lot more sense. Cameron Crowe needs to keep good originals alone.
  16. MarkB,
    Jul 16, 2002
    Barely watchable. Whatever the message is that this film is trying to get across, it was wasted on me. The film was boring; it was so detached from its characters that I couldn't have cared less about it.
  17. JulieB.
    Jul 16, 2002
    Good: David Helfgott Tilda Swinton The lawyer. Not-So-Good: Penelope Cruz Tom Cruise The ending ruins it all. You realize that you spent the whole movie thinking that the details and plot twists were important when they really didn't matter at all.
  18. MarkM.
    Nov 17, 2002
    This movie is annoying.

1. Reviewed by: Jay Carr
    May not emerge as the biggest disaster of the holiday movie season, if only because we haven't yet seen all the other year-end films. But it is a huge high-energy misfire, bringing Tom Cruise, Penelope Cruz, and Cameron Crowe to earth with a thud.
  2. If Crowe's eyes are open, he seems to have directed most of Vanilla Sky with his mind wide shut.
  3. For all the filmmakers' efforts, this project is something of an artistic albatross. It's a conundrum that doesn't get answered until a sort of help-the-audience Cliffs Notes final scene, in which we learn Everything. But by then, more than a few of us may be wondering, was it all really worth the trouble?