8.6

1. MichelleM.
    Aug 19, 2003
    I absolutely LOVE this movie!! It is my favorite!! Christopher Guest is my HERO!! It's so funny from begining to end, with out a second in between!!
  2. MichaelM.
    Oct 23, 2004
    This is Christopher Guest's second best movie (out of 3). I didn't think this was as good or funny as Guest's follow-up film 'Best In Show' which hit theaters in the year 2000. I loved this movie for two reasons, 1) It was done by my favorite comedy troupe, and 2) I am in many productions in community theater, so I kind of related to this in a close way. First of This is Christopher Guest's second best movie (out of 3). I didn't think this was as good or funny as Guest's follow-up film 'Best In Show' which hit theaters in the year 2000. I loved this movie for two reasons, 1) It was done by my favorite comedy troupe, and 2) I am in many productions in community theater, so I kind of related to this in a close way. First of all, not all community theaters do plays this bad, hardly any of them do. This is kind of an a stretch, but it is still funny. Some community theaters put on productions that rival Broadway productions (in my opinion). But this is just so funny, it will make you cry. I think this is just such an excellent film, and gets funnier everytime I watch it. The best things about Guest's films are, no matter how many times you watch them they don't get boring or less funny like most of the Farrely Brothers films. The thing I truly admire of Guest is he doensn't have to use too many raunchy jokes to make the best comedy films. The only reason this film got unfairly slapped with an 'R' rating is because it has the f-word twice. The film 'So I Married An Axe Murderer' starring Mike Myers, features that word three times, and got a 'PG-13' rating. This is a great film for anyone looking to be able to laugh hard, without seven million sex jokes. (21 February 2003) Expand
    Apr 18, 2003
    Hilarious!!!!
  4. StalwartR.
    Aug 8, 2005
    I think that you have to have lived in a small town to really appreciate the humour in this film. It's even better if you have participated in community theatre. Seriuosly, I don't think I've ever genuinely laughed as much as while watching this movie. Christopher Guest is my GOD!
  5. Eric
    Apr 28, 2005
    My favorite movie of all time!
  6. DanC.
    Feb 7, 2004
    Christopher Guest is a genius!
  7. Kathy
    Nov 13, 2003
    We had to stop the machine we were laughing so hard. As a community theatre buff, we got every inside joke. Guffman is a hoot!

The movie doesn't bludgeon us with gags. It proceeds with a certain comic relentlessness from setup to payoff, and its deliberation is part of the fun.
  2. A madcap gem.
    Yet Waiting for Guffman is never mean-spirited. Its weird warmth is perfectly embodied by Guest himself, whose flamboyant, stagestruck choreographer, Corky St. Clair, could have (in less ingenious hands) been a cruel, gay-bashing caricature, but instead becomes a hallucinatory Everyman.