Warm Bodies

6.9

1. Feb 28, 2013
    Warm Bodies is a charming take on the romantic comedy formula with a nice soundtrack and two likeable leads and, sadly, not much else. It's mostly entertaining but there's a real lack of pace to the first half of the film. It shifts unevenly between trying to be (somewhat) deep and being absolutely candyfloss. Some characters are played seriously and others are super wacky. Considering theWarm Bodies is a charming take on the romantic comedy formula with a nice soundtrack and two likeable leads and, sadly, not much else. It's mostly entertaining but there's a real lack of pace to the first half of the film. It shifts unevenly between trying to be (somewhat) deep and being absolutely candyfloss. Some characters are played seriously and others are super wacky. Considering the zombie threat the world is suffering, its amazing how quickly the girls come round to R being safe.

There's worse films around and I enjoyed more in Warm Bodies than I disliked, it's just not interesting enough overall. I felt like it was a good first draft that needed more flesh on the bones (see what I did there?) If you catch it on tv you might enjoy it but as a trip to cinema there's far better fare out there. Or just save your money until next week.
  2. Jun 12, 2013
    What a surprise this film was. So charming. Warm Bodies benefits from two excellent lead performances from Nicholas Hoult and Teresa Palmer; they carry this film nicely, but it's really the strong direction from Jonathan Levine (50/50) that makes the film work. Had someone else helmed the picture I don't think it would have been as effective as Levine's WB. Using concepts popularized byWhat a surprise this film was. So charming. Warm Bodies benefits from two excellent lead performances from Nicholas Hoult and Teresa Palmer; they carry this film nicely, but it's really the strong direction from Jonathan Levine (50/50) that makes the film work. Had someone else helmed the picture I don't think it would have been as effective as Levine's WB. Using concepts popularized by the likes of Twilight and The Walking Dead, Warm Bodies takes pieces of those projects to make a film that's highly entertaining and satisfying to a diverse audience. Expand
  3. Jun 25, 2013
    Please don't take the rating of a 6 to be a bad thing, just compared to other films I have watched a 6 feels just about right for this film, which is good! it is brilliant for couples that want to sit back and watch a film. It has some real funny moments and quite a cool story. There were a few parts that got me abit bored, but it wasn't often. Overall, it's a good film and I recommend toPlease don't take the rating of a 6 to be a bad thing, just compared to other films I have watched a 6 feels just about right for this film, which is good! it is brilliant for couples that want to sit back and watch a film. It has some real funny moments and quite a cool story. There were a few parts that got me abit bored, but it wasn't often. Overall, it's a good film and I recommend to watch it! Expand
  4. Aug 18, 2013
    Not as bad as I thought it would be. The movie sported a charming cast that really made the silliness quite acceptable. Even if you don't particularly enjoy zombie movies, like moi, you will still mildly enjoy this one. There isn't much of a comprehensible storyline, but that's probably not what movie-goers are looking for in this film.
  5. Feb 12, 2013
    This movie was good. Certainly not one that people will be talking about for years to come, or even anything that necessitates a second watching. It was entertaining, and really, what else do you need?

Of course the plot is far-fetched, but, let's remember, we are talking about a movie that contains zombies to begin with. The problem that I had with it was simply that things seemed to work out a little too easily. There did not feel like there was really any real drama, or any chance that things weren't going to work out. If you can forgive the convenience of how easily things work out and just enjoy the show, it is fun to watch. Also, how many times did they have to walk past that same old Buick Riviera?

All in all, Rob Corddry did a great job. The acting on the whole was not that bad. Special effects were about as good as you could expect from a Summit movie. It was just a cute little movie.
  6. Apr 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Are all zombies cursed with lock-in syndrome, or is it just R., a jarringly articulate walking corpse, whose interior monologue indicates a cognitive ability to love that belies the grunting and monosyllabism? Wandering aimlessly through an airport that has long-past outlived its usefulness, R.'s inner voicings of alienation("Why can't I connect?") and self-loathing("...so pale.") uncannily echoes Charlie Kaufman in Adaptation, whose opening can be gleaned in Warm Bodies. The word "adaptation", here, is applicable in the biological sense, referring to the existential struggle of transitioning from life into death(heretofore only implied in Dawn of the Dead, where the zombies faintly recall the consumer culture of the living, converging on a shopping mall in parodic imitation of their former selves) and the angst that comes with post-death, whereas in Adaptation, it's a literary term: Kaufman's fruitless attempt to transform words into images from a non-fiction work about flowers. Guided by Charlie's tortured agency, the film's conceit that his screenplay and resulting film are occurring concurrently, gets thrown into chaos, when Kaufman's identical twin hijacks the narrative and turns Adaptation into some cheesy action picture. Donald is a hack, a Robert McKee disciple, whose tenets are a counterintuitive affront to Charlie's iconoclastic-minded psyche for non-formulaic screenwriting. Similarly, in Warm Bodies, despite the film's lack of self-reflexivity, two zombie narratives: one that demonstrates fidelity to the genre, and the other, while not the work of a maverick by any means, does humanize a historically malevolent monster whose inner life has rarely, if ever been explored, seem to emanate from two sensibilities at odds. A "bony", on one hand, is your standard issue zombie, engaged in the singular activity of unrepentant cannibalism, but R., conversely, while sharing the bonies' overriding appetite for human flesh, is a corpse with scruples, a corpse who feels conflicted about his bloodthirsty nature. Akin to Charlie attending a McKee seminar on screenwriting, selling out his guiding principles so he can finish adapting The Orchid Thief, R. watches a zombie, his compatriot, turn into a bony, ripping the flesh right off the bone: a two-fold adaptation that first, shows how taxing a conscience can be, as the decomposing man gives up on the idea of being nearly human, and second, on an intertextual level, like Adaptation, kinesis takes precedence over languor, or rather, Warm Bodies grows increasingly Hollywood in form and content. A bony, after all, is a zombie who adapts to the concept of death; it desires none of the earthly pleasures, but to eat. As a filmic metaphor, the self-mutilating zombie can be reconstructed as a Charlie figure, tearing himself apart as penance for using Donald's ideas to finish his shooting script. Charlie, in essence, is a zombie, sad and alone, more dead than alive. When R. intones, "Don't be creepy. Don't be creepy," as he approaches Julie, the girl he keeps captive in his tarmac-situated home, a converted airplane, the moviegoer can imagine the hoody-cladded young man's analog, the bipolar writer, chanting the same mantra as he flirts with the diner waitress whom he wrongly invites to an orchid show. R., however, wins Julie over, in due part because he eats her boyfriend's brains. Here, the film borrows from another Kaufman/Jones collaboration, Being John Malkovich. On a subconscious level, Julie can sense Dave's presence behind R.'s eyes, just like how Maxine would know whenever Lottie was occupying the famous actor's body. By snacking on the dead beau's grey matter, R. collects his memories, thoughts, and feelings, which makes the zombie more like Dave than himself. So strong is Dave's aura, Julie allows R. to occupy the same bedroom in an abandoned suburban house. If Julie gave necrophilia a go, would R. stand for "rapist", since the faux Romeo, unbeknownst to the girl, is a conduit for Dave's ghost. Nevertheless, R. is a zombie in love, signified by his heart turning red, the same hue perceived by an ideologically pure boy from a 1950s television series, who discerns the rose's true color after having just made love to a real girl. Arguably, Pleasantville is a zombie film, a latent one. In the aftermath of the girl's mother experiencing sexual pleasure for the first time, she hides in the kitchen, embarrassed by her flesh tones and ruby lips. Afraid of what her monochromatic husband may think, with Bud's help, she acts in a reactionary manner, using black and white makeup to conceal the newfangled vividness. But she's alive, like R. is alive. Contextually speaking, you can't go back to Night of the Living Dead, the 1968 George Romero original, whose zombies now seem one-note and monotonous, just like a sitcom housewife of yesteryear. To answer R.'s friend's question, the mother feels it. Life after death. Expand
  7. May 27, 2013
    "Warm Bodies" is a nicely directed post-apocalyptic love story--that is at the very least--a fresh approach to a zombie film that is fully realized, and flushed out to satisfaction. "Warm Bodies" is a light comedy, which is often witty and consistently enjoyable. Levine's latest is well shot and possesses impressive production values. The film lacks any real thrills or major conflicts, but"Warm Bodies" is a nicely directed post-apocalyptic love story--that is at the very least--a fresh approach to a zombie film that is fully realized, and flushed out to satisfaction. "Warm Bodies" is a light comedy, which is often witty and consistently enjoyable. Levine's latest is well shot and possesses impressive production values. The film lacks any real thrills or major conflicts, but the romantic and comedic aspects are pleasant and effectively delivered with fine all around performances, while Jonathan Levine exhibits his skillful abilities behind the camera.

Written and directed by Jonathan Levine ("50/50"), and adapted from the novel by Isaac Marion, "Warm Bodies" takes place in a post-apocalyptic world, following a plague that has wiped out millions. The remaining humans live behind a wall, surrounded by soldiers led by the human leader Grigio (John Malkovich). Meanwhile, the zombies mostly shuffle around an abandoned airport, only making occasional trips outside to feed on the living. Nicholas Hoult, our protagonist zombie named R, is amusing--stumbling and grunting his way around the airport. R explains his feelings in the voice-over narration, so the audience is always aware of his dreams and desires, and what is actually possible. When he meets Julie (Teresa Palmer), he is at the ultimate disadvantage he's dead.

On a feeding encounter with a human gathering party, R meets Julie and feels an urge to protect her. This sparks the beginnings of a strangely warm relationship that causes R to start to regain his humanity. As this change spreads throughout the undead population, Julie and R eventually find they are facing a larger issue--even as their friendship is challenged.

"Warm Bodies" lacks the ability to surprise, which makes it seems longer than it. However, Levine does a good job with the screenplay, balancing the right amount of fun and romance, as well as human dialogue with 'zombie talk.' Simply put, "Warm Bodies" is heart-warming and charming, when it could easily have been a romantic zombie disaster.
  8. Feb 4, 2013
    This is a girl movie with Zombies. I enjoyed it, my wife liked it a little better than I did. It was humorous and easy watching. Some of the negative views seem to be based on how much someone paid to see it. Not a good way to judge movies. These are not George Romano's zombie's or Walking Dead zombies. Get over that and you have an enjoyable movie. It is slow in parts, the TeresaThis is a girl movie with Zombies. I enjoyed it, my wife liked it a little better than I did. It was humorous and easy watching. Some of the negative views seem to be based on how much someone paid to see it. Not a good way to judge movies. These are not George Romano's zombie's or Walking Dead zombies. Get over that and you have an enjoyable movie. It is slow in parts, the Teresa Palmer's character does do some really stupid things. You have to really stretch your view on reality, even zombie reality, to allow for some things that happen and that's why I gave it a 6. Expand
  9. Feb 1, 2013
    Boy is dead. Dead boy meets girl after eating her boyfriend's brains. Dead boy falls for girl. Girl fall for dead boy. Paramilitary dad lightens up and relents. No so dead boy and girl live happily everafter. Dead boy is cute, teen girls everywhere let out a collective sigh.
  10. Feb 2, 2013
    A not-quite-heartfelt enough romantic comedy that's not quite funny enough. Warm Bodies needed to ramp up on one, the other, or both, but ends up idling on most of the time.
  11. Feb 12, 2013
    What can I honestly say? I went into this movie after watching the trailers, thinking "This'll probably suck." So I was surprised to find it wasn't all that bad. The main character is likable, although I thought it was a pretty dead role (badum-tish). But in all seriousness, the acting was good for the most part, and I almost laughed at some parts. Then it fell into the whole "LoveWhat can I honestly say? I went into this movie after watching the trailers, thinking "This'll probably suck." So I was surprised to find it wasn't all that bad. The main character is likable, although I thought it was a pretty dead role (badum-tish). But in all seriousness, the acting was good for the most part, and I almost laughed at some parts. Then it fell into the whole "Love conquers all" rut. The movie tried to be funny in places, but I never found myself truly amused by the attempted humor. It also had a few major plot holes I couldn't shake off, so by the end of the movie I was annoyed when the questions I had went unanswered.

TL;DR A movie that will entertain you for a few hours, but don't expect it to win any awards.
  12. Jun 14, 2013
    A film worst than i expected. It was better than twillight but it was still a bad film. The plot is really uninteresting and there is nothing going on in the movie. The ending is really predictable and the whole movie was over the average. Such a shame
  13. Jan 7, 2014
    The film has some cool ideas. The setting is interesting, the kind of zombie story being told is interesting, and I enjoy the main character. What prevents this movie from being anything spectacular is the romance. The love in this movie is not well written, cheesy, and takes what could have been an interesting movie and turns it into a teen fantasy. If you are a girl who loves teenThe film has some cool ideas. The setting is interesting, the kind of zombie story being told is interesting, and I enjoy the main character. What prevents this movie from being anything spectacular is the romance. The love in this movie is not well written, cheesy, and takes what could have been an interesting movie and turns it into a teen fantasy. If you are a girl who loves teen romance stories you will enjoy this movie. If you think this going to be an amazing film think again. It’s an eh film with some good ideas that is ruined by an excessive and poorly written love story. A shame too considering this movie looked promising. Who knows maybe the book is better. Expand
  14. Aug 3, 2013
    We all know what a zombie is right? Those moaning dead things that wander around eating humans? Yeah, well Warm Bodies says a human girl and a zombie can fall in love. That's a con job.
  15. Jun 22, 2013
    I don't remember at first place why I watched this, and if you watch it maybe you don't remember it, I think that's all I can say about this weirdo project.
  16. Aug 19, 2014
    Sappy but cute. I consider this a guilty pleasure. Definitely worth the redbox $1.24. Teresa Palmer and Nicholas Hoult have enough chemistry to pull off a really silly premise.
  17. Jun 26, 2014
    While its villains are weak and dialogue cheesy at times, Warm Bodies compensates by its sweet romance, energetic soundtrack, steady pacing and heart.
  18. Nov 10, 2014
  19. Aug 8, 2015
    Una vez más el título para Latinoamérica te mata la película. Con ese nombre ni a la esquina. Pero estaba John Malkovich en el reparto. Algo de esperanza había y no fue tiempo perdido. La trama pasa desde el punto de vista de un joven zombie y sus depresivos días caminando y gimiendo de aquí para allá. Es un manifiesto al derecho de un zombie a rehabilitarse, como los de cualquier humano.Una vez más el título para Latinoamérica te mata la película. Con ese nombre ni a la esquina. Pero estaba John Malkovich en el reparto. Algo de esperanza había y no fue tiempo perdido. La trama pasa desde el punto de vista de un joven zombie y sus depresivos días caminando y gimiendo de aquí para allá. Es un manifiesto al derecho de un zombie a rehabilitarse, como los de cualquier humano. Entretenida. No tan idiota como su título sugiere. A los fan de Walking Dead los humanizará. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Stephanie Zacharek
    Feb 26, 2013
    Levine – whose last picture was the intriguing, if only partly effective, cancer comedy “50/50” — is going for something more here, exploring what makes us human by contrasting it with a character who has lost all the basics and is desperate to get them back.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Feb 9, 2013
    Zombie-ism in the movies is traditionally inspected for metaphorical qualities. Here it could simply be that we males are emotionally dead … until love revives us.
  3. Reviewed by: Rosie Fletcher
    Feb 9, 2013
    A Frankenstein’s monster of comedy, romance and horror that’s less than its parts, Warm Bodies entertains but underwhelms.