6.9

1. Feb 22, 2013
    This is an extremely unique movie, something i'd never expected to exist, and it was very well executed here. The apocalyptic setting is convincing, the romance is absolutely believable, and the humor is enjoyable.
  2. Feb 17, 2013
    I saw this flick with my girlfriend a few days ago and it was much better then i was expecting interesting;even though slightly cliché plot that moves at a good pace The characters were nicely developed too, the small cast still held the movie high, but the female leads best friend (Analeigh Tipton) wasn't too great. Now even though this movie had heart and was decently funny, it doesI saw this flick with my girlfriend a few days ago and it was much better then i was expecting interesting;even though slightly cliché plot that moves at a good pace The characters were nicely developed too, the small cast still held the movie high, but the female leads best friend (Analeigh Tipton) wasn't too great. Now even though this movie had heart and was decently funny, it does have zombies in it and since it was rated PG-13 here in Canada the movie would of been more believable if it had more gore in it maybe not as intense as amc's the walking dead but more would be nice i also would of gave it a higher rating if incorporated more action in the plot especially near the end but as the credit's rolled the decent mix of romance and horror with a dash of action and comedy, me and my girlfriend left the theatre enjoyed and received our moneys worth. Expand
  3. Jun 29, 2013
    Warm Bodies is riveting and fascinating, with tender romance and pleasant good time. It is absorbing, original, full of heart and sweet tale of unusual love between a zombie and a human being. This is a perfect movie for me to enjoy.
  4. Mar 21, 2013
    Ever thought Romeo and Juliet was a bit stuffy, a little too formal and hard to relate to? Warm Bodies finds the perfect remedy, Zombies of course. R (Nicholas Hoult), a zombie who is remarkably verbose in his own head falls for Julie (Theresa Palmer), a human he saves when his pack of zombies attacks her and her friends who are scavenging supplies. The two begin to bond and realise that REver thought Romeo and Juliet was a bit stuffy, a little too formal and hard to relate to? Warm Bodies finds the perfect remedy, Zombies of course. R (Nicholas Hoult), a zombie who is remarkably verbose in his own head falls for Julie (Theresa Palmer), a human he saves when his pack of zombies attacks her and her friends who are scavenging supplies. The two begin to bond and realise that R is not like your conventional zombie and he could hold the key to reversing the apocalypse. Unlike any other zombie film including Zombieland, Warm Bodies has a powerful sense of emotion and understands one of the most important concepts/themes from all zombie films, the loss of humanity. The idea that its not just the zombies that lose who they used to be but the humans as well. This is something that is expertly handled in 28 days later and its surprising how Director Johnathon Levine manages to display this basic tenet of zombie lore just as well but in a completely different way. The use of flashbacks in the film is impressive as it does it in an original way while also giving the film a much needed back story for Julie, a girl who is unintentionally soured by the apocalypse yet still has a light and beauty befitting a modern day Juliet, the Juliet Levine envisioned. R on the other hand is fleshed out through his own inner monologue, Levine's version of Shakespeare's soliloquies. This voice over gives a good impression not just zombie R but human R. However the monologuing gets irritating after a while as you become more invested in what he does instead of what he thinks, one of the main problems with Romeo and Juliet as a play as well. R spouts some great comic lines in his head but much of the comedy comes from his utterly uncomfortable actions in trying to become Julie's friend. The chemistry between Hoult and Palmer is good and overall Palmer is very impressive which came as a pleasant surprise for someone who watched I Am Number Four. Overall the film has very few flaws but even without flaws it doesn't wow in the way I thought it would or expected from the director of 50/50, one of the best films of 2011. Also the ending is incredibly rushed even though the film could have done with an extra few minutes to make the conclusion seem even remotely plausible. In fact the film just kind of ends, like this.... Expand
  5. Lyn
    Jul 3, 2013
    It won't slake your yearning for the next season of "The Walking Dead," but "Warm Bodies" is a fun, quirky addition to the zombie genre. I admit that part of my interest was curiosity about what ever happened to that kid from "About a Boy." (He's now tall & handsome, but retains that endearing quality.) The movie is kind of sweet, too, as it explores whether the undead are truly doomed.It won't slake your yearning for the next season of "The Walking Dead," but "Warm Bodies" is a fun, quirky addition to the zombie genre. I admit that part of my interest was curiosity about what ever happened to that kid from "About a Boy." (He's now tall & handsome, but retains that endearing quality.) The movie is kind of sweet, too, as it explores whether the undead are truly doomed. Not terribly profound and not crazy/wacky like "Zombieland" but enjoyable in its way. Expand
  6. Mar 22, 2013
    Otherwise known as Romeo and Juliet in Zombie Apocalypse, also despite the overwhelming Twilight vibe oozing from it, Warm Bodies is a funny undead flick and quiet charming in its wordless execution. Its self-aware lightly toned comedy composes lay back youthful attitude in the form of a zombie's monologues and his deficit on vocabulary. The antique plot may seem rigidly predictable,Otherwise known as Romeo and Juliet in Zombie Apocalypse, also despite the overwhelming Twilight vibe oozing from it, Warm Bodies is a funny undead flick and quiet charming in its wordless execution. Its self-aware lightly toned comedy composes lay back youthful attitude in the form of a zombie's monologues and his deficit on vocabulary. The antique plot may seem rigidly predictable, fortunately it has some freedom on delivery, making it a fresh tongue-in-cheek dystopian humor since Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland.

Nicholas Hoult as R, is a good pick for the lively-minded undead protagonist. He has tall thin frame and apparent cheek bones, making him a believable zombie after a few touch of pasty foundation, all while cosplaying as the latest apparition of Dante. To his credit, this role suits him perfectly, he has minor motions that are cleverly stiff and humorous, which fits the novel sensation of courting living female. It's amazing that with much scarcer lines, he triumphs over his role as the recent Jack, the digital giant killer.

Julie, played by Teresa Palmer, is your typical blond gorgeous chick. She moves rather well, although not full blown action star yet, but she makes for a convincing role of someone who grows up in cryptic world with daddy issue. Her emotions are expressed gradually, she has natural ambiance and it will attract the young audience, and even if she didn't stand out much in acting department, her looks elevate her performance. John Malkovich as the source of Julie's daddy issue is emotionally imposing. He has the air of someone you don't want to mess with, standing near to antagonism.

Graphically, it's captivating. The world after zombie virus is depicted with great cinematography, barren gray dye, and still pertains few of its charms, which are subtly placed beneath a crumbling civilization. The set might be grim, but it doesn't depress, landmarks and trivial places have distinct salvageable atmosphere to them. Its use of make-up and wardrobe is simple, most often lacking color as R's red lackluster jacket, it emphasizes the little humanity left without going full zombie.

CG for skeletal extremely-dead undead is rather plastic, it's obviously fake. There are some plot devices that are set conveniently as well. Details like these might not ruin the enjoyment, but they still register as annoyances. Warm Bodies is a quirky amusing twist of old ideas, it is wittily written and warmly entertaining.
  7. Mar 31, 2013
    By any mean not a masterpiece not even close, I'd say barely decent at best. But, but, for what it is I thought it played its strength well with a very likable cast and a silly but cute story. It reminded me of Silver Linings Playbook because its message which is basically the same thing: it's never too late to come back from the "dead" and be happy, in this case literally.
  8. Feb 28, 2013
    Warm Bodies is a charming take on the romantic comedy formula with a nice soundtrack and two likeable leads and, sadly, not much else. It's mostly entertaining but there's a real lack of pace to the first half of the film. It shifts unevenly between trying to be (somewhat) deep and being absolutely candyfloss. Some characters are played seriously and others are super wacky. Considering theWarm Bodies is a charming take on the romantic comedy formula with a nice soundtrack and two likeable leads and, sadly, not much else. It's mostly entertaining but there's a real lack of pace to the first half of the film. It shifts unevenly between trying to be (somewhat) deep and being absolutely candyfloss. Some characters are played seriously and others are super wacky. Considering the zombie threat the world is suffering, its amazing how quickly the girls come round to R being safe.

There's worse films around and I enjoyed more in Warm Bodies than I disliked, it's just not interesting enough overall. I felt like it was a good first draft that needed more flesh on the bones (see what I did there?) If you catch it on tv you might enjoy it but as a trip to cinema there's far better fare out there. Or just save your money until next week.
  9. Feb 19, 2013
    Very touching and emotional lovestory, finally not set in a fairytale world like every other love movie. Hidden social hints and black humour throughout the film make it a very enjoyable experience, especially for couples!!!
  10. Jun 12, 2013
    What a surprise this film was. So charming. Warm Bodies benefits from two excellent lead performances from Nicholas Hoult and Teresa Palmer; they carry this film nicely, but it's really the strong direction from Jonathan Levine (50/50) that makes the film work. Had someone else helmed the picture I don't think it would have been as effective as Levine's WB. Using concepts popularized byWhat a surprise this film was. So charming. Warm Bodies benefits from two excellent lead performances from Nicholas Hoult and Teresa Palmer; they carry this film nicely, but it's really the strong direction from Jonathan Levine (50/50) that makes the film work. Had someone else helmed the picture I don't think it would have been as effective as Levine's WB. Using concepts popularized by the likes of Twilight and The Walking Dead, Warm Bodies takes pieces of those projects to make a film that's highly entertaining and satisfying to a diverse audience. Expand
  11. May 18, 2013
    This movie is really great compared to other recent teen movies with the same unusual love story like the host or the twilight series, this one is way to better runs up to the top of your heart very quickly, fast paced with chilling scenes and great romance, but as a movie not compared to anything it is very good and funny, entertaining but not great.
  12. Apr 19, 2013
    This is an above average rom com that is actually more self-aware than people give it credit for. A lot of reviews reference twilight, but few seem to really understand that this movie is in a lot of ways a tongue-in-cheek criticism of the whole twilight saga. Specifically, it's a direct jab at the ridiculousness of making the undead a love interest. Just look at the poster the one withThis is an above average rom com that is actually more self-aware than people give it credit for. A lot of reviews reference twilight, but few seem to really understand that this movie is in a lot of ways a tongue-in-cheek criticism of the whole twilight saga. Specifically, it's a direct jab at the ridiculousness of making the undead a love interest. Just look at the poster the one with the female lead holding the male lead from behind. It even looks like a twilight poster!

Apart from all that, the film handles itself quite well. The pacing occasionally slows down a bit, but gets itself on track quickly enough, and generally all the elements gel nicely.

In short, this film is cleverer than people give it credit for.
  13. Apr 1, 2013
    Warm Bodies is great fun, not only for Zombie fans but for any film lover. The film is very good on the pace of R an unusual zombie who lost his way. The film is very sweet and tangy, the middle of this juicy film the pace slows down and violence starts popping up. Then the sweet deal comes up, everything goes boom and the film hangs the viewers. But, dont be feisty- the film is really good.
  14. Feb 19, 2013
    My 19 yr old daughter and I saw this last yesterday and we both loved it! It was an original take on an old horror concept. And as a self-proclaimed Zombieholic, I couldn't stay away! Definately a fun movie for teenagers who haven't been conditioned to only enjoy blood, cuts and torture themed movies.
  15. Jun 5, 2013
    Yes this movie has plot holes and there are certain things that just don't make sense, but I gotta say it was a good time. It worked for me mainly because director Jonathan Levine who made the outstanding film 50/50 is able to make me believe in the romance between R and Julie.
  16. Mar 11, 2013
    It's pretty cute, and the message is very endearing. Although it may be a bit unorthodox as a date movie, it's definitely one of the better romantic films to come out recently.
  17. Mar 24, 2013
    Warm Bodies is a brilliantly original zombie story. I was afraid it wouldn't be as good, but as far as the storyline and the humor play-in together, it's really a warm-hearted love story that is perfect for the valentine's season, unless your girlfriend is terrified of zombies.
  18. Apr 6, 2013
    Jokes aside this thing eats twilights brains. Its a compelling and cute zombie flick. Little bit of everything here. Horror comedy and romance. Give it a shot it isnt a 2 hour time sink like some movies.
  19. May 19, 2013
    Turning zombies back into human beings as the healing power of pure human emotions. Simple skin deep symbolism in action. Soft watching. In any ways, it was the great pleasure for creators to shoot this movie.
  20. May 27, 2013
    I liked this movie, thought it had action, romance, and some comedy although I wish they would have cured the zombies earlier so we could have seen Nicholas Hoult as a human longer but all in all it was good.
  21. Jun 25, 2013
    Please don't take the rating of a 6 to be a bad thing, just compared to other films I have watched a 6 feels just about right for this film, which is good! it is brilliant for couples that want to sit back and watch a film. It has some real funny moments and quite a cool story. There were a few parts that got me abit bored, but it wasn't often. Overall, it's a good film and I recommend toPlease don't take the rating of a 6 to be a bad thing, just compared to other films I have watched a 6 feels just about right for this film, which is good! it is brilliant for couples that want to sit back and watch a film. It has some real funny moments and quite a cool story. There were a few parts that got me abit bored, but it wasn't often. Overall, it's a good film and I recommend to watch it! Expand
  22. Jun 10, 2013
    Warm bodies is a interesting take on a zombie flick me myself was kinda output by how they could have thought and become human again. Then i opened to the idea a bit and saw this was a cool take on zombies but if your a zombie movie watcher like zombie land or shuan of the dead you wont like this movie much but as i watched i learned that there are reasons behind there mindless killing andWarm bodies is a interesting take on a zombie flick me myself was kinda output by how they could have thought and become human again. Then i opened to the idea a bit and saw this was a cool take on zombies but if your a zombie movie watcher like zombie land or shuan of the dead you wont like this movie much but as i watched i learned that there are reasons behind there mindless killing and i kinda liked the idea and then we come to the romance in the movie its kinda weird to see it in a zombie movie but its more comedy so it works in the flow of it but one thing i have to say is it keeps you there till its overall conculsion and i even went back to watch the movie again so its a zombie movie with a new take and overall good story i didnt have any gripes with it besides the bonies they just seemed like minecraft skeletons on steroids and there are a few Why the moments but still the movie was good Expand
  23. Jun 13, 2013
    This is a great zombie love story. I do not think I have heard of this unique combination. The movie had a wonderful mix of love, humor, horror, and action.
  24. Jun 17, 2013
    This movie isn't Twilight, in fact, it is better in so many ways, Warm Bodies is one of a kind, but is Warm Bodies perfect?! Almost. The Acting is way too better and the story scenes are really good, as a movie in whole. Absolutely YES!
  25. Aug 18, 2013
    Not as bad as I thought it would be. The movie sported a charming cast that really made the silliness quite acceptable. Even if you don't particularly enjoy zombie movies, like moi, you will still mildly enjoy this one. There isn't much of a comprehensible storyline, but that's probably not what movie-goers are looking for in this film.
  26. Mar 9, 2013
    I'm surprised. The movie doesn't focus on the girl, like all the other pictures have done, this film represents the supremacy of love, and heart changing, it's funny, enjoyable and touching.
  27. Apr 13, 2013
    I went into this film with high expectations and was not disappointed. It gives us a good mix of Comedy/Horror/Romance to make a new genre! ZomRomCom! Nicholas Hoult is outstanding as R, who slowly starts to become human again. There is such a nice mix of the three genres to have something for everyone to enjoy, and you are more than thoroughly entertained the entire time you're watching.I went into this film with high expectations and was not disappointed. It gives us a good mix of Comedy/Horror/Romance to make a new genre! ZomRomCom! Nicholas Hoult is outstanding as R, who slowly starts to become human again. There is such a nice mix of the three genres to have something for everyone to enjoy, and you are more than thoroughly entertained the entire time you're watching. Overall I was more than impressed and will highly recommend it to anyone up for a quality film this year! Expand
  28. Jun 13, 2013
    A cheesy, predicable, zombie love story. That actually works! funny as that sounds. But the movie, has this its own charm. Pleasant to watch, likable characters. I enjoyed watching it!
  29. Feb 11, 2013
    Honestly better than expected...I usually rely on Metacritic faithfully but I saw this one anyone. It definitely deserves at least a 70 rating on here, its a fresh twist on an otherwise worn down subject (walking dead, twilight, etc). The acting wasn't superb, but the narration really kept the movie and the comedy flowing. Not to mention, the soundtrack was one of the best I've heard in a while.
  30. Feb 12, 2013
    This movie was good. Certainly not one that people will be talking about for years to come, or even anything that necessitates a second watching. It was entertaining, and really, what else do you need?

Of course the plot is far-fetched, but, let's remember, we are talking about a movie that contains zombies to begin with. The problem that I had with it was simply that things seemed to work out a little too easily. There did not feel like there was really any real drama, or any chance that things weren't going to work out. If you can forgive the convenience of how easily things work out and just enjoy the show, it is fun to watch. Also, how many times did they have to walk past that same old Buick Riviera?

All in all, Rob Corddry did a great job. The acting on the whole was not that bad. Special effects were about as good as you could expect from a Summit movie. It was just a cute little movie.

1. Reviewed by: Stephanie Zacharek
    Feb 26, 2013
    Levine – whose last picture was the intriguing, if only partly effective, cancer comedy “50/50” — is going for something more here, exploring what makes us human by contrasting it with a character who has lost all the basics and is desperate to get them back.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Feb 9, 2013
    Zombie-ism in the movies is traditionally inspected for metaphorical qualities. Here it could simply be that we males are emotionally dead … until love revives us.
  3. Reviewed by: Rosie Fletcher
    Feb 9, 2013
    A Frankenstein’s monster of comedy, romance and horror that’s less than its parts, Warm Bodies entertains but underwhelms.