7.8

1. j30
    Nov 27, 2011
    It's crazy how this movie turned out average for me. The graphic novel is great, thought-provoking, and artistic. The movie adaptation, however, feels like a wax replica of the novel. With the actors/actresses looking uninspired and dull.
  2. Mar 11, 2011
    There must be something like a manual for making movies. Plot, character development, pace, etc. Since apparently there isn't, abysmally awful flicks like this will continue to be made. What is the standard ? And what is the purpose of submitting this to a paying audience ?
  3. Dec 5, 2010
    This movie was awful. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but you don't have to take my word for it.
  4. May 4, 2011
    Too much long. Too much violence. I like the mature and realistic approach, but in some moment it loses its goals. It has a great ending endeed but you`ll have to wait...
  5. Dec 7, 2011
    The only people who can actually appreciate this movie are those who have never read the comic and simply like the idea. The idea is brilliant, but was introduced in the comic. The film tears its source material apart and decides to construct anew from nothing but the idea, failing miserably in the process. Everything, from the adapted script to horrible acting and poor casting, fails.

If

If you liked the idea, read the comic. This material is simply not meant to be defended by the argument "I simply enjoyed it". It is literature and a masterpiece, butchered by Hollywood and Zach Snyder's pretense.
  6. Mar 22, 2012
    Abysmally paced, ridiculous crybaby dialogue-filled, on-the-nose sexually exploitative, nearly action-free, cantankerous, dark (not in a noir-ish way but in a literal "it's difficult to tell what I'm looking at sometimes" sort of way), leaden, flabby, incredibly overlong train wreck of a bullsh** movie. I've NEVER walked out of a theater before a film ended until Zack Snyder decided toAbysmally paced, ridiculous crybaby dialogue-filled, on-the-nose sexually exploitative, nearly action-free, cantankerous, dark (not in a noir-ish way but in a literal "it's difficult to tell what I'm looking at sometimes" sort of way), leaden, flabby, incredibly overlong train wreck of a bullsh** movie. I've NEVER walked out of a theater before a film ended until Zack Snyder decided to make me look at Dr. Manhattan's penis for one agonizing moment after another for absolutely no reason. The four of us, exasperated, worn out... utterly soul-crushed by what we had already been subjected to leading up to this moment, finally gave up and left... LONG AFTER EVERY OTHER PERSON IN THE THEATER HAD ALREADY DONE SO! There's a line between just making a crappy movie and actually showing bald-faced contempt for your viewing audience. I'd say Snyder is definitely toeing that line, if not stepping over it here. All I know is that I'm still waiting for him to personally refund my $20. Jerk! Expand
  7. Apr 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Watchmen is a different sort of film: a superhero with E.D: and a villain who wins with a "the ends justifies the means" message. Add to that the giant blue guy that runs around with his penis waging about for the last quarter of the film and this movie was made to push the envelope. Expand
  8. Feb 2, 2013
    This movie is trash, I don`t care what anybody says. I like one of the characters, but man I should punch myself in the face for finishing this movie. I see it has good ratings from allot of people, That just makes it clear, that I am not a zombie who just follows what other people like. I usually like "Super Hero" movies, Not this one!
  9. Apr 15, 2013
    This movie makes me puke. Seriously. How in the world you can rate this positive This "heroes" makes no sense. Plot is awful. Main heroes HeHero and SheHero (didnt bother to remember names) are ugly as hell. And this blue guy without pants every time I saw his huge blue penis my eyes were bleeding. I simply cant understand how you can rate this more than zero.
  10. May 4, 2013
    I did not purchase a twelve dollar movie ticket to see terrible plot holes, poor character development, cheesy dialog lines, and a blue wang. Sure, it has mediocre fight scenes but overall, it is unbearable.This does not reflect the comics at all, whatsoever.
  11. Jul 2, 2013
    The graphic novel, Watchmen by Alan Moore is one of my favorite books and one of the best graphic novels ever written, if not the best. It is a groundbreaking piece of literature gold that deserves to be worshiped. Yes, I just recently read the book and I missed this in theaters. But I know now how all those poor soles walking into the theater one night with their personal Watchmen copy inThe graphic novel, Watchmen by Alan Moore is one of my favorite books and one of the best graphic novels ever written, if not the best. It is a groundbreaking piece of literature gold that deserves to be worshiped. Yes, I just recently read the book and I missed this in theaters. But I know now how all those poor soles walking into the theater one night with their personal Watchmen copy in hand just awaiting this monumental adaptation to flash before their eyes feel. It does not feel very good.
    I'm going to level with you, Watchmen wasn't awful. It was actually a pretty decently filmed movie. That meaning it looked great. Zack Snyder really has a talent for visual thrills because this looked beautiful. It had that Dark Knight look to it, but it had that polished and gleaming flare to it also. Snyder has style, and if only he can get a good script to go with it and he could be legendary.
    Watchmen also had something else that blew me away. It has the best opening titles I have ever seen. They play out after the first scene and they aren't your normal opening credits just showing the people behind it. They do show that, but behind a series of slow-mo scenes where it's telling you all about the world your about to delve into. It shows the whole back story with the song The Times They Are A-Changin' playing. That is the one time in this movie that I will say the song actually fits the scene, but it did.
    Now time to talk about all of the faults. I thought the music choices were bad. The choices for the soundtrack were very interesting choices. The songs they chose for each scene did not fit well with what was happening on screen and as a result, it took away from the impact. This was a problem, but it wasn't the biggest problem I had with this movie. The biggest problem I had was the excessive and graphic gore throughout. It's this CG blood that flies everywhere when people are shot or hurt and it constantly comes splattering everywhere like it's Gears of War. It's comedic at certain moments and it really detracts from the scene. It doesn't even look good and that really bothered me.
    In the end, Watchmen has the same problem that another adaptation had, The Great Gatsby. It is maybe a bit too faithful to the source material. I watch this movie knowing exactly whats going to happen, exactly what I will see, and even exactly what people say.They literally have line by line quotes straight from the book said in this movie, and some of the story board was taken directly from the graphic novel comic strip boxes. There's no new spin on it and it ends up just feeling like you copied off another person's school project and didn't put any real effort to call it your own.
    Watchmen may be ambitious, but it sure isn't the best adaptation that the classic book could have had. That's another of the biggest problem with this movie, it has so much potential, but is squandered by the soundtrack, excessive gore, and a vision a bit too close to the source material. I really feel pity for those poor people at that midnight showing in 2009.
  12. Jul 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The plot was good, but the way it was developed left me disappointed. The characters were not well-defined. In fact, on many occasions they were either boring or indifferent to me. A lot of the film consisted of scenes that did not add to the central plot.
    Miss Jupiter's encounter with the Comedian. She was almost raped by him, and then it's revealed she went and had sex with him. I am assuming this is put in to reflect the distorted mentality of today's society? Or was it just to make Silk Spec cry?
    I still cant understand the attraction between Silk Spectre II and Dr. Manhattan, both of which appeared several times naked the first to hold the male audience's interest (I assume) and the second only made the audience giggle and laugh, detracting from the film.
    Jackie Earle Haley's portrayal of a sociopathic anti-hero was definitely the highlight of the movie. Again, these "heroes" appeared more interested in the fight than actually helping mankind (JDM's Comedian a bright example of this). This notion is revoked in the end, when even a distant Dr Manhattan is "moved" by the devious actions of Ozymandias, all in the name of mankind. Well, that settles it then. Forget democracy, bring in the world's smartest men to lead us, otherwise we are just savages that ultimately will kill each other to extinction. But if we are indeed savages, mankind and heroes alike, what's the point in saving us in the first place? So there was a message trying to be sent, but it got lost (at least, on me) somewhere along the way...

1. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Okay, it isn't the graphic novel, but Zack Snyder clearly gives a toss, creating a smart, stylish, decent adaptation, if low on accessibility for the non-convert.
  2. Snyder and writers David Hayter and Alex Tse never find a reason for those unfamiliar with the graphic novel to care about any of this nonsense. And it is nonsense.
  3. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    The movie is ultimately undone by its own reverence; there's simply no room for these characters and stories to breathe of their own accord, and even the most fastidiously replicated scenes can feel glib and truncated.