4.6

1. j30
    Feb 13, 2012
    Before Titanic came out, Waterworld was the most expensive film ever produced. Comparing the two is like night and day. Even though I don't particularly care for Titanic I think if once you have a commander of the screen and someone with a vision like James Cameron you're going to have substantial differences in results. Titanic full of ambition (like Waterworld), took home 11 Oscars whileBefore Titanic came out, Waterworld was the most expensive film ever produced. Comparing the two is like night and day. Even though I don't particularly care for Titanic I think if once you have a commander of the screen and someone with a vision like James Cameron you're going to have substantial differences in results. Titanic full of ambition (like Waterworld), took home 11 Oscars while Waterworld was just nominated for 1 Oscar (Best Sound). Expand
  2. May 27, 2014
    Welcome to Waterworld, where men need to have long haircuts, women need to have short haircuts, and Kevin Costner acts like a total retard for over two hours.
  3. Jan 29, 2015
    It is so dull and ugly for its deep-into-nine-figures budget, I can't believe Kevin Costner, or anyone, would want to be associated with this. The story rests on the gaping plot hole of a man with gills, who could conceivably live solely underwater and eat, say, fish and seaweed would trade with normal humans, who want to kill him the moment they discover he is not one of them.
  4. May 24, 2014
    I don't really understand the lack of success this movie had. The only real problem this movie suffers from is that it lacks balance. It tries to be a serious movie about the hardships of life on this aquatic world only to shift gears and become a childish action flick when the bad guys get their screen time. But, there's so much to like here. The movie looks and sounds great with goodI don't really understand the lack of success this movie had. The only real problem this movie suffers from is that it lacks balance. It tries to be a serious movie about the hardships of life on this aquatic world only to shift gears and become a childish action flick when the bad guys get their screen time. But, there's so much to like here. The movie looks and sounds great with good attention to details and the sets, especially the atoll, are stunning. The story is interesting enough and at times the movie is emotional and funny, so it engages the viewer. I have watched the film a couple of times and I was never bored. Expand
  5. Dec 4, 2013
    This movie felt like playing uncharted 3 there are so many plot holes that make this movie very good. Lousy acting a poor story so many thing. I think it is a good rental and a good watch. This makes you feel like playing uncharted 3 over and over again.
    Oct 29, 2005
    200 million went down the drain, but not completely, as this film isn't a total disaster. However, it sure doesn't satisfy like 200 million dollar entertainment. Production design is top notch, and combined with some good special FX and sets, the money is definetaly on the screen. However, the story's off, and that's probably why the film didn't gross. After a 200 million went down the drain, but not completely, as this film isn't a total disaster. However, it sure doesn't satisfy like 200 million dollar entertainment. Production design is top notch, and combined with some good special FX and sets, the money is definetaly on the screen. However, the story's off, and that's probably why the film didn't gross. After a promising battle in the beginning, albeit a little silly, once they're adrift on the mariner's ship, the film drags, and they accomplish little, whinig about who owns what. The characters don't have any depth, they just do what they do. The smokers, you don't even know why they do what they do. Outside of finding dryland, there's little focus in the plot, and ultimately the parts don't quite add up to something a 200 million dollar budget should deliver. Decent entertainment, but people would likely flock to more satisfying movies in the genre. Expand
  7. groundfisher
    Jun 8, 2005
    This movie starts off well, establishing a unique world, and the roles people occupy, their concerns, desires, and fears. I hoped the movie would go on to explore the world and the people within it by following Costner and whatever he encounters and his apparent, constant struggle to make a life for himself. And to see what lives other people have carved out for themselves. Unfortunately, This movie starts off well, establishing a unique world, and the roles people occupy, their concerns, desires, and fears. I hoped the movie would go on to explore the world and the people within it by following Costner and whatever he encounters and his apparent, constant struggle to make a life for himself. And to see what lives other people have carved out for themselves. Unfortunately, the movie dwindles into a bit of a love story and an action-hero movie. Costner isn't bad as a surly drifter. The bad guys are all comic book. I thought the movie had potential and is certainly better than its reputation. Expand
  8. StevenC.
    Oct 28, 2002
    A lot better than you've heard. A neat no-brainer movie; a little overlong, but it's ultimately saved by Hopper.
  9. Stoneblue
    Feb 1, 2005
    I thought it was better darn GOOD. I can't wait until the extended version is available on DVD. Like the Mad Max epics, it's a move I enjoy watching over & over again.
  10. PatC.
    Dec 19, 2003
    Caution: This film contains Costner.
  11. YoonMinC.
    Sep 28, 2003
    It tries to be Road Warrior on the highseas but the thin plot sinks under the movie's epic ambitions. Costner as fishman is lackluster but Dennis Hopper's villainous role is a true riot and almost saves the movie. The bratty kid's repartee with Costner and Hopper are priceless.

Waterworld isn't "Fishtar," but Kevin Costner's pricey, post-apocalyptic sloshbuckler isn't a seafaring classic either.
  2. This movie feels like it was made by a bank rather than a person.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A not-bad futuristic actioner with three or four astounding sequences, an unusual hero, a nifty villain and less mythic and romantic resonance than might be desired.