8.1

1. LawrenceM.
    Dec 17, 2006
    Cliched and stale. Note to movie execs: it's time to relegate all tragic "based on a true story," "overcoming human misery to ultimately succeed" Disney-fied movies to Lifetime. Note #2 to movie execs: stop casting Matthew McConaughey in any sort of drama role. Actually, in any role, for that matter.
  2. Apr 21, 2011
    I always think, man, if an actor performs badly, it is the fault of the director, and not the actor. I truly believe that actors are victim of poor scripts and poor directing. Matthew and the other talented men and women are thrown under the wheels of a horrible screenplay, with shallow dialogue, cliched characters, and superfluous, melodramatic sequences. I feel for these people...
  3. mikej.
    Dec 30, 2006
    This movie has no soul!! How dare the pompus jerks of hollywood re-create the pain and drama for those lost in Hunnington, WV Marshall plane crash. After moments of grief, it is all smiles and recruiting tall goofy basketball and soccer players. First of all, the cheerleader, the father, and the 4th varstiy player might as well not be in the movie. They bring nothing but insinserity to This movie has no soul!! How dare the pompus jerks of hollywood re-create the pain and drama for those lost in Hunnington, WV Marshall plane crash. After moments of grief, it is all smiles and recruiting tall goofy basketball and soccer players. First of all, the cheerleader, the father, and the 4th varstiy player might as well not be in the movie. They bring nothing but insinserity to the film. Im real sorry hunnington, but your cheerleader wearing the ring from her "true" love is inhibiting her from going to the party with the frat boys. Where is the darkness? At the end of the movie, the cinematic tricks have made you empathize with Marshall and make one believe it is a true feel good story. What about coach Lengyl spending only 3 years at Marshall, Red Dawson one. Coaching that football team, with the losing, was a disaster, and the coaches quit out as should have been expected. I wanted to see the pain of a coach who could never imagine how to empathize with a town ultimatly leading to his admitance of falure. I did not want to see Mathew Maconahay speak out of only the right side of his mouth!! Worst Sports Movie Ever!! Expand
  4. Moviereview
    Jan 12, 2008
    I don't understand how people can think this movie was so great. It seems that most people that loved it live/lived in Huntington. This movie tried too hard to be melodramatic and if anything made me realize that this town that was in morning was trying too much to NOT LET IT GO. It was a tragedy what happened, but unfortunately life happens to have many more.
  5. AndrewE.
    Dec 29, 2006
    This was a horrible attempt that turned an incredible story with so much potential into an unorganized, overly cliche, often inaccurate, and just plain pathetic film. The story is a 10, but unfortunately its adaptation into a movie failed miserably.
  6. TinaL.
    Dec 26, 2006
    A terrible waste of money. Bad acting, bad script, bad entertainment. It is simply a waste of money and a dull forgettable melodrama. Avoid.

1. We Are Marshall has little of the bone-crunchingsincerity of the recent pigskin rouser "Invincible." This one is more like Unconvincing.
  2. What should have been an inspirational story about fortitude and courage in the face of mind-numbing tragedy becomes a compendium of sports cliches.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Full of good intentions, We Are Marshall has a game plan that's hard to fault, but as with any playbook, a scheme is only as good as how well it's executed.