8.1

1. Mar 13, 2015
    Based on a true story, but still very formulaic. The film could have benefited from being grittier and more realistic. It manages to capture the strong and tragic emotions, but when it tries to be inspirational, it pulls out a series of tacky speeches and slow motion back slaps. The story has a great beginning, setting up a town shattering tragedy. The build up is ominous, but still leavesBased on a true story, but still very formulaic. The film could have benefited from being grittier and more realistic. It manages to capture the strong and tragic emotions, but when it tries to be inspirational, it pulls out a series of tacky speeches and slow motion back slaps. The story has a great beginning, setting up a town shattering tragedy. The build up is ominous, but still leaves room for surprise. The cast is littered with fantastic actors, from an unaccredited Robert Patrick, Ian McShane, and David Strathairn. Each of them plays their roles very well, and I liked the view of different townsfolk. It would have been nice to see more of the town, as McShane and Strathairn are two of the highlights. It also emphasized the painful loss and the needed hope. It does manage to raise some goosebumps, and its raw power is enough to propel it into the end zone. Moving, inspirational, but less than subtle. Expand
  2. Jun 2, 2013
    One of my all-time favorite sport movies. It's such a tragic, touching story. I like the way this film balances plot and sport, with sports serving almost as a secondary element. Very touching film. Underrated/appreciated in so many ways.
  3. Apr 21, 2011
    I always think, man, if an actor performs badly, it is the fault of the director, and not the actor. I truly believe that actors are victim of poor scripts and poor directing. Matthew and the other talented men and women are thrown under the wheels of a horrible screenplay, with shallow dialogue, cliched characters, and superfluous, melodramatic sequences. I feel for these people...
  4. EM
    Jul 26, 2008
    While this is a movie about the human spirit and overcoming profound loss. What it mostly does is demonstate the importance of creative leadership during devastingly and adverse situation. It shows this leadership during the storty in more than one character. You see this in the team members that survived who led the cause to continue the football program. And also from the University While this is a movie about the human spirit and overcoming profound loss. What it mostly does is demonstate the importance of creative leadership during devastingly and adverse situation. It shows this leadership during the storty in more than one character. You see this in the team members that survived who led the cause to continue the football program. And also from the University President who tirelessly works to ensure the resources needed are found. And the motivational Coach who explains that in this instance winning isn't everything. In this instance, just keeping the program alive is what the team, University and town needs. Then there was leadership from afar found in Bobbie Bowden, UWV coach at the time who honors the team on the UWV helmets and later lets the Marshall's Coach view UWV tapes to help with the "veer" offensive formation. Yes, this is a movie about leadership. Expand
  5. JimM.
    Jan 21, 2008
    A really good movie; extremely moving on the devestation of Marshall football; the characters and acting were very good and the healing process is still going on today. I liked this movie a lot; if you have a heart then watch, We Are Marshall.
  6. Moviereview
    Jan 12, 2008
    I don't understand how people can think this movie was so great. It seems that most people that loved it live/lived in Huntington. This movie tried too hard to be melodramatic and if anything made me realize that this town that was in morning was trying too much to NOT LET IT GO. It was a tragedy what happened, but unfortunately life happens to have many more.
  7. TomB.
    Jan 10, 2008
    I felt I was there. My brother lived with the players who died. When he woke up on Sunday morning, he was one of 3 persons in Hodges Hall. The movie was exhilarating.
  8. LawrenceE.
    Jan 8, 2008
    This movie was full of heart and is a fitting tribute the victims and family of the worst sports tragedy in history. I've watched it every time it's played and I plan on buying it.
  9. KeithJ
    Nov 10, 2007
    I gave it a 7 because it achieves its objectives. You should know going in what type of movie this is. Do not expect a great masterpiece of cinema. However, it's a good, mostly accurate retelling of a true tragedy. If you look at the "trivia" section about the movie on Wikipedia, you'll see some historical fudges (e.g. Red Dawson was never booked on the flight), but here's I gave it a 7 because it achieves its objectives. You should know going in what type of movie this is. Do not expect a great masterpiece of cinema. However, it's a good, mostly accurate retelling of a true tragedy. If you look at the "trivia" section about the movie on Wikipedia, you'll see some historical fudges (e.g. Red Dawson was never booked on the flight), but here's one that's not listed: the former coach who died, Tolley, was younger than the new guy they hired from Wooster. He was 30 years old and had been there just two years. He had a losing record both of those years. The movie makes it seem like he was a long-time almost legendary coach. Expand
  10. SteveK
    Nov 8, 2007
    Treads the thin line between corny and touching on ice skates, but I mostly found this movie to be touching and surprisingly emotionally complex. Not everyone agrees with the decision to bring back football, and it brings a very interesting dynamic to a story where even the leads don't always have the answers or know what to say in the face of such unspeakable tragedy. Who would? It Treads the thin line between corny and touching on ice skates, but I mostly found this movie to be touching and surprisingly emotionally complex. Not everyone agrees with the decision to bring back football, and it brings a very interesting dynamic to a story where even the leads don't always have the answers or know what to say in the face of such unspeakable tragedy. Who would? It feels emotionally real. The speeches by Matthew McConaughey are a little cliche, but after a hundred of these sports movies, aren't they all? I couldn't help but roll my eyes when he mentioned the heart of the team and touched his heart. Despite the fact that every sports movie is kinda the same, this one treads very different emotional ground, one that is difficult to tread given the source material and does so successfully. Expand
  11. MarkB.
    Mar 9, 2007
    Learning that McG, the dude who brought you the glitzy and trashy Charlie's Angels and the glitzier and trashier Charlie's Angels 2: Full Throttle has been entrusted with this factual account of how the town of Huntington WV coped with and triumphed in the aftermath of a plane crash that wiped out most of their beloved Marshall College football team is like finding out that your Learning that McG, the dude who brought you the glitzy and trashy Charlie's Angels and the glitzier and trashier Charlie's Angels 2: Full Throttle has been entrusted with this factual account of how the town of Huntington WV coped with and triumphed in the aftermath of a plane crash that wiped out most of their beloved Marshall College football team is like finding out that your father's funeral is going to be filmed by the guy who does the Girls Gone Wild videos. Surprisingly, McG does a mostly respectable, inoffensive job with the material (and this goes beyond his avoidance of all but a minimum of gratuitous cheerleader shots); his treatment is watchable, occasionally moving, and wonderfully acted by its two male leads. Matthew McConaughey, as Coach Jack Lengyel, who brings himself in to restore the team's and town's morale if not their statistics, rebounds nicely from Failure to Launch with a warm, charismatic portrayal that provides this potentially unbearable material with many tasteful and extremely welcome comic touches. (Gotta love the fact that he treats us to helpful quotes that aren't from Sports Illustrated or The Sporting News, but from...well, I won't spoil it for you.) David Straithairn's less flashy depiction of University President Donald Dedmon certainly isn't a "career role" the way that his unforgettable Edward R. Murrow was in Good Night, and Good Luck, but Straithairn's willingness to play the yin to McConaughey's scene-stealing yang reflects well on the actor's total integrity, lack of ego, and willingness to live up to the oft-quoted philosophy of "loving art in yourself, not yourself in art"; Straithairn once again proves himself a character actor of the highest order. The subplot involving a town waitress who was engaged to one of the ill-fated players is touching, whether or not it actually happened, and there's certainly something to be said for any movie that attempts to explore (if not question outright) Vince Lombardi's noxious-if-taken-the-wrong-way sports-as-life philosophy of "winning isn't everything, it's the only thing". Nevertheless, We Are Marshall ultimately fails to score because of a very basic structural fumble: the fatal plane crash occurs scant minutes into the film, and we never get to know any of the original Marshall team (except, briefly, the coach). Beyond the obvious problem that, as far as air disaster movies go, this makes We Are Marshall look less like United 93 than the original Final Destination, it limits our ability to empathize or identify with the surviving townspeople's relationships with folks that are so obviously and schematically written as ciphers intentionally devoid of any identity other than as symbols. I must regrettably agree to disagree with the brilliant Chad S., who thought that the movie's 99% focus on those left behind is what made it successful; for me, the Vera Petersen/ Maris Crane approach is highly unsatisfactory, and causes We Are Marshall, however well intentioned it obviously is, to fall short of being the tribute to the team, the school and the town that it so sincerely sets out to be. Expand
  12. BeckyK.
    Jan 21, 2007
    The movie was enjoyable and moving. I am grateful they did not show the plane actually crashing. While the speeches by Matthew were well given by him, it was a little bit too Hollywood.
  13. ChadS.
    Jan 16, 2007
    Although "We are Marshall" has its share of bombastic scenes, and you can't possibly get more bombastic than the scene in which the student body chants the film's namesake in unison; this plucky paean to the human spirit also displays a surprising amount of restraint, too. A great example is the plane crash; it's over in an eyeblink, because the filmmaker knows "We are Although "We are Marshall" has its share of bombastic scenes, and you can't possibly get more bombastic than the scene in which the student body chants the film's namesake in unison; this plucky paean to the human spirit also displays a surprising amount of restraint, too. A great example is the plane crash; it's over in an eyeblink, because the filmmaker knows "We are Marshall" isn't about the victims of that fateful flight, it's about those people who are left behind. Another nice touch is how the football player who doesn't want to rejoin the team, never does, which negates the cliche of an athlete's dramatic return to his team, replete with rhythmic clapping and name-chanting. This character nimbly represents those people who thinks that people should stop confusing sports with family, religion, or any other slice of Americana deemed important to the country's persistence of identity. The football games are anti-climactic because it's beside the point if Marshall wins or loses. "We are Marshall" is about all the blood, sweat, and tears that went into the football program's revival. The victory is in the first kickoff. Expand
  14. DonW.
    Jan 7, 2007
    It moves very slow and Matthew McConaughey plays it really strange but the story is uplifting and very sentimental. Very much a downer movie and very sad. Not a date movie.
  15. StevinZ.
    Jan 6, 2007
    The human spirit is alive and can not be broken. Even in the face of tragedy we can rise from dust and back to greatness. That is the thesis of the move and in the true life events that inspired it. I found it to be good entertainment and uplifting. The characters were very good at bringing out the range of emotions that the story entails.
  16. AndyJ.
    Jan 1, 2007
    Even though some parts of the movie were a bit over the top, I thought this movie was fantastic in the way the characters were portrayed. I also think they showed the impact of the plane crash in a good way.
  17. FlipV.
    Dec 30, 2006
    This film will inspire and move most people who attend. Not just in as a sports movie, but as a reminder to continue to live life to the fullest and never give up. Even when faced with tremendous adversity! I loved every minute!
  18. SteveE
    Dec 30, 2006
    A great rental, but not the kind of movie to pay the full entry fee at the theater. If you saw the previews, you saw the movie. The rest just fills in the gaps. It is a story to be heard, but not a gripper to hold you to the screen. Some are not even worth renting..... this one is.
  19. mikej.
    Dec 30, 2006
    This movie has no soul!! How dare the pompus jerks of hollywood re-create the pain and drama for those lost in Hunnington, WV Marshall plane crash. After moments of grief, it is all smiles and recruiting tall goofy basketball and soccer players. First of all, the cheerleader, the father, and the 4th varstiy player might as well not be in the movie. They bring nothing but insinserity to This movie has no soul!! How dare the pompus jerks of hollywood re-create the pain and drama for those lost in Hunnington, WV Marshall plane crash. After moments of grief, it is all smiles and recruiting tall goofy basketball and soccer players. First of all, the cheerleader, the father, and the 4th varstiy player might as well not be in the movie. They bring nothing but insinserity to the film. Im real sorry hunnington, but your cheerleader wearing the ring from her "true" love is inhibiting her from going to the party with the frat boys. Where is the darkness? At the end of the movie, the cinematic tricks have made you empathize with Marshall and make one believe it is a true feel good story. What about coach Lengyl spending only 3 years at Marshall, Red Dawson one. Coaching that football team, with the losing, was a disaster, and the coaches quit out as should have been expected. I wanted to see the pain of a coach who could never imagine how to empathize with a town ultimatly leading to his admitance of falure. I did not want to see Mathew Maconahay speak out of only the right side of his mouth!! Worst Sports Movie Ever!! Expand
  20. GregB.
    Dec 29, 2006
    If I had to pick one thing to be critical about in this film, it seemed that McConaughey was trying too hard to get more out of most of his scenes. But, I admired the effort he put into the role, as well as his comments during interviews of how the story touched him. I must admit I had a very difficult time watching, being an alumnus of Marshall. I was not as prepared as I thought to see If I had to pick one thing to be critical about in this film, it seemed that McConaughey was trying too hard to get more out of most of his scenes. But, I admired the effort he put into the role, as well as his comments during interviews of how the story touched him. I must admit I had a very difficult time watching, being an alumnus of Marshall. I was not as prepared as I thought to see this story. Overall though, they honored those who carried on, as well as those who parished. Expand
  21. ShawnU.
    Dec 29, 2006
    A tragic story well made. I thought their was too much fading in ths movie. Other than that it was great.
  22. GregB
    Dec 29, 2006
    This real-life story is so powerful that overwhelms the worst excesses of hollywood (bad casting and dialogue) and makes this a great movie to see. Go! No one moved during the entire film. It is powerful.
  23. AndrewE.
    Dec 29, 2006
    This was a horrible attempt that turned an incredible story with so much potential into an unorganized, overly cliche, often inaccurate, and just plain pathetic film. The story is a 10, but unfortunately its adaptation into a movie failed miserably.
  24. JohnD
    Dec 29, 2006
    Great movie. It tells a great story. Very moving, a real tear jerker.
  25. PaulF.
    Dec 27, 2006
    What can I say except that
  26. rebeccas.
    Dec 27, 2006
    Such a terrible tragedy, I can't imagine the loss for the community. How many children lost both parents? How many students lost all their friends all at once? How many lost their children? I realize that this is not the only plane crash to have ever occurred, but for one small town to lose 75 community members is devistating. I have read several reviews in which I am not sure if the Such a terrible tragedy, I can't imagine the loss for the community. How many children lost both parents? How many students lost all their friends all at once? How many lost their children? I realize that this is not the only plane crash to have ever occurred, but for one small town to lose 75 community members is devistating. I have read several reviews in which I am not sure if the commentator understood that this was a true story, because it is beyond me how anyone could have a "who cares" attitude about the situation. My heart goes out to the entire community, and regardless if this was a money-making ploy for Hollywood (as all movies are), kudos for McG for doing it justice. Expand
  27. TinaL.
    Dec 26, 2006
    A terrible waste of money. Bad acting, bad script, bad entertainment. It is simply a waste of money and a dull forgettable melodrama. Avoid.
  28. Joshk
    Dec 26, 2006
    Great movie very moving & exiting, Shows that winning isn't everything.
  29. BethF
    Dec 26, 2006
    Excellent movie. No one moved during the showing I saw until the credits finished. The audience clapped when it was over. The notion that winning is not everything is certainly supported by this heartfilled story.
  30. MarkT
    Dec 25, 2006
    As someone who is a native, the movie was written, directed, and scripted as perfectly as possible by ANY outsider. Within the community, we could not have asked for a finer job by anyone involved. In reading the "professional" reviewers, it is strikingly obvious that the majority of those with a poor review have not done their research on the history of Marshall, the crash, or the 35 yrs As someone who is a native, the movie was written, directed, and scripted as perfectly as possible by ANY outsider. Within the community, we could not have asked for a finer job by anyone involved. In reading the "professional" reviewers, it is strikingly obvious that the majority of those with a poor review have not done their research on the history of Marshall, the crash, or the 35 yrs after the trajedy. For those who have not seen it yet, please keep in mind the entire movie can be summed up in the first 5 words of the moviethat lost only about 5 seconds. "This is a true story". Although some of the characters are different, the lions share of the movie is very, very accurate. Thanks Universal and McG for your respect of a trajedy that still is a huge part of our history. Mark Expand
  31. SarahM.
    Dec 24, 2006
    I loved this movie. It was very well thought out and did an amazing job of telling the story of our (MU's) rise from an immensely devastating event. We thank McG and everyone else for doing a great job.
  32. AnthonyH.
    Dec 24, 2006
    Excellent Movie in script. McConaughey could have done a better job. Movie is kinda chopped up. Overall this is a wonderful, tear pulling movie. Marshall truley has rose from the Ashes to Glory. Especially with that 96 team. Marshall was also the most winninest team in the 90's in all College Football!! Go Herd!!
  33. LowellA.
    Dec 23, 2006
    As a student from Marshall and playing as an extra in the movie, this was a very emotional story and was very powerful to show how his town and school rose from the ashes to glory.
  34. LeeB.
    Dec 23, 2006
    Excellent movie. I am a two time graduate from Marshall, I knew people who died in the crash, and I knew one of the coaches that helped rebuild the program quite well. There are a few Hollywood liberties taken in the screenplay, but the story stays pretty true.
    Dec 22, 2006
    I was there. This movie does a great job of capturing our community's coming together to grieve, reflect, and respond to a horrible nightmare. Of course, I cannot be objective, but I think all opinions count. A great movie.
  36. PhilF.
    Dec 22, 2006
    The thing to remember is that this movie is a true story and the events depicted really happened. There is some "artistic license" taken, but it is minimal and does not effect the key facts. A lot of reviews complain about the cliches and the lack of focus on the plane crash itself, but the cliches are there because of the reality of the events. As for the crash, this movie is not about The thing to remember is that this movie is a true story and the events depicted really happened. There is some "artistic license" taken, but it is minimal and does not effect the key facts. A lot of reviews complain about the cliches and the lack of focus on the plane crash itself, but the cliches are there because of the reality of the events. As for the crash, this movie is not about the crash, it is about the events that took place after the crash. Expand
  37. JimG.
    Dec 22, 2006
    I was an admission officer at Marshall during the rebuilding and resurrection process. Even though many of the characters were composites and some scenes were created or exaggerated, the movies did capture the emotions and character of the University and Huntington at the time. I saw a sneak preview of the film in Davenport, Iowa. At the end of the credits the audience (only three of I was an admission officer at Marshall during the rebuilding and resurrection process. Even though many of the characters were composites and some scenes were created or exaggerated, the movies did capture the emotions and character of the University and Huntington at the time. I saw a sneak preview of the film in Davenport, Iowa. At the end of the credits the audience (only three of which had a direct connection with Marshall or Huntington) gave the film a standing ovation. Expand
  38. ScottD.
    Dec 21, 2006
    This is the real-life story that you cn't sensationalize. You definatedly leave with a lump in your throat. Being a Huntington, West Virginia native myself, the feeling in this movie is sincere and true to life. If you say that anyone is trying to convince you of anything on this movie- then you don't understand the point. Just go feel a piece of history and see how you feel!
  39. ChadK.
    Dec 21, 2006
    In my heart of hearts I don't think anyone can really appreciate this story unless they either lived through it or knew someone who had. It seems that the "critics" don't seem to understand this. Most of the critics not ranking this movie very highly are the same ones that ranked World Trade Center high - it's because they lived through that time period. And unlike NYC a In my heart of hearts I don't think anyone can really appreciate this story unless they either lived through it or knew someone who had. It seems that the "critics" don't seem to understand this. Most of the critics not ranking this movie very highly are the same ones that ranked World Trade Center high - it's because they lived through that time period. And unlike NYC a small town in WV that has this sort of devastation - it tends to last a bit longer as the percentage of people touched is so much greater. I saw this movie with about 200 others and there was not a dry eye in the theater - men/women alike cried because it is a moving movie. Expand
  40. DebbieW.
    Dec 20, 2006
    I think this was a wonderful movie to watch. Anytime a movie can cause extreme emotion either by causing laughter or tears, it was done well...
  41. BenS.
    Dec 20, 2006
    This was a good movie that accomplished what it set out to acomplish: gave some background on an interesting true story and developed it in a way that wasn't overly cheesy. Sure, there was some cheesy goodness, but not too much. All in all it was the kind of movie that keeps you entertained and makes you feel as if your money getting the tickets was well spent. Not every movie can, This was a good movie that accomplished what it set out to acomplish: gave some background on an interesting true story and developed it in a way that wasn't overly cheesy. Sure, there was some cheesy goodness, but not too much. All in all it was the kind of movie that keeps you entertained and makes you feel as if your money getting the tickets was well spent. Not every movie can, or should, be the cinematic version of the Great American Novel. This was an interesting and entertaining movie that had me smiling at the end. That's what I really look for in my entertainment. Expand
  42. RionM.
    Dec 19, 2006
    This is a Great Film not about football, But about People, their struggles and how they Cope. I've got to see it again.
  43. ScottY.
    Dec 19, 2006
    Awesome movie, great acting!!
  44. Beth
    Dec 19, 2006
    I have never cried so much during a movie. Absolutely touching from beginning to end. Thankfully, there were funny moments as well.
  45. LouD.
    Dec 19, 2006
    This is one of the best motivational football movies ever. If you are not a Marshall fan, you may start cheering for them after this movie. Overall, good movie with actual plot. Do not miss the out takes during the credits---You see some of the real people who were actually in the movie. A nice touch to a truly tragic story. They are Marshall.
  46. MarkH.
    Dec 19, 2006
    Superb telling of a true story. I got chills, was heart broken and inspired all within the 2 hour movie. Very much worth seeing, perhaps twice!
  47. JarrettW.
    Dec 19, 2006
    This movie was great from the beginning to the end. Great story and both Matthews did a great job playing the role of coached. You will cry and laugh through out the entire movie.
  48. BrianF.
    Dec 18, 2006
    I would imagine critics wont like this movie...too much heart...they never like movies with heart. If you like inspirational movies...this is a true gem. Matthew Fox was amazing.
  49. BobB.
    Dec 18, 2006
    I played on the 71 team and thought they did a great job. They helped so many people close a part of their lives.
  50. TSLewis
    Dec 18, 2006
    Is it the must see movie of 2006? No, but it's a really good story and I thought Matthew Fox and David Strathairn were really good in their roles respectively Don't let the football hating film critics stop you from going to see this flick :)
  51. JaneK.
    Dec 18, 2006
    Nice to see a "real" story told without Hollywood hype interjected.
  52. LesaF.
    Dec 18, 2006
    I had the opportunity to see this movie at it's premiere in Huntington, WV and it was inspirational, moving and heart warming. I left that theater with a deeper appreciate of the history of my town, the university and the people of Huntington who are linked to the tragedy. My ONLY disappointment is critics who don't appreciate the movie for what it is and prefer to over-analyze I had the opportunity to see this movie at it's premiere in Huntington, WV and it was inspirational, moving and heart warming. I left that theater with a deeper appreciate of the history of my town, the university and the people of Huntington who are linked to the tragedy. My ONLY disappointment is critics who don't appreciate the movie for what it is and prefer to over-analyze every aspect of a movie trying to show how cerebral they are. This is a great movie and I'm proud of the way McG, the Matthews and Warner brothers depicted this true story. Kudos to you all!! Expand
  53. AngieR.
    Dec 18, 2006
    Though some critics have found this film cheesy or too cliched, it is still an amazing movie!
  54. HUGHIE
    Dec 18, 2006
    Needlessly noisy and busy film of a good story.
  55. LawrenceM.
    Dec 17, 2006
    Cliched and stale. Note to movie execs: it's time to relegate all tragic "based on a true story," "overcoming human misery to ultimately succeed" Disney-fied movies to Lifetime. Note #2 to movie execs: stop casting Matthew McConaughey in any sort of drama role. Actually, in any role, for that matter.
  56. PatriciaC.
    Dec 17, 2006
    I grew up in Huntington and think the studio did a great job of portraying the emotion that we all felt at the time of the tragedy.
  57. LauraH.
    Dec 16, 2006
    This was a very sincere and amazing movie. I was in tears, I was laughing, I was cheering. As a native of Huntington I have never been more proud! We are....Marshall!!!
  58. LaluraM.
    Dec 16, 2006
    The movie accurately portrays real events in such a way that keeps you entertained. The story of rising from the ashes was inspirational. The movie made me cry and left. It makes you think about the importance of life.

1. We Are Marshall has little of the bone-crunchingsincerity of the recent pigskin rouser "Invincible." This one is more like Unconvincing.
  2. What should have been an inspirational story about fortitude and courage in the face of mind-numbing tragedy becomes a compendium of sports cliches.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Full of good intentions, We Are Marshall has a game plan that's hard to fault, but as with any playbook, a scheme is only as good as how well it's executed.