Whale Rider

6.4

1. LucyS.
    Sep 19, 2005
    Very dull and over dramatic.
  2. MichaelG.
    Feb 15, 2010
    Mediocre at best. Dull, lifeless acting by all but Keisha Castle-Hughes, borderline amateur. Overused character archetypes, up to its ankles in cliches and has more plot holes then a Steven Seagal action flick. It tries desperately to be a feel good movie but by the end I was scooping my eyeballs out with a spoon, because it was far more entertaining.
  3. Patty.P.
    Oct 17, 2004
    This movie sucked, it was boring and it dragged on for ages. dont rent or buy this movie. i give it 0 out of 10, it was crap.
  4. FredC.
    Dec 23, 2005
    A waste of time. Tedious and muddled up. Had a hard time staying awake for this one.
  5. marcusm.
    Dec 8, 2005
    I thaught it was a very drie film althaugh it did have it purks and funny moments. you need to understand New Zealends history and how they believe they came to find Zew Zealend. If you are into the sad droopy and old style film this is for you.
  6. SamS.
    Nov 6, 2005
    Tries WAY to hard to be meaninful and is just boring, repititive and predictable. Stupid and annoying.
  7. nickw.
    Jul 7, 2005
    This movie was utterly predictable, annoyingly slowmoving and a complete waste of my time. I predicted a change in the plot, went to the bathroom, came back and what I said would happen, happened.
  8. Emily
    Aug 9, 2005
    I didnt really enjoy this movie, yet i have watched it over and over again. It was so predictable that it became more boring every time i watched it. it was also really annoying an i did not likem it!!!
  9. DannyS.
    Aug 23, 2003
    Entirely forseeable. utterly familiar. compleatly boring.
  10. N.S.
    Sep 10, 2003
    Decent characters and story but slow moving. Got bored. Bottom line - I wouldn't tell my friends to go see it and I wouldn't watch it twice.
  11. Patty.P.
  12. NotSaying
    Apr 18, 2004
    Didn't like it one bit bored me to bits.
  13. retroboy
    Nov 7, 2007
    This was the the worst6 movie ever i hate it it sucked to the people who liked it i say get a life! very predictable and slow + the ending sucked i hat this boring crap movie a i hope whale rider 2 crashes and bern's THIS MOVIE WAS CRAP.
  14. TeddyP
    Apr 23, 2008
    Dull, no real deep meaning to it. Unbelievably boring; once of the worst films I have ever seen. Trying to create something meaningful and failing miserably. Absoloute mess. If you want to see a good film, i suggest the Shawshank Redemption.
  15. AzzaS.
    Oct 17, 2004
    This movie was realy boring, it's props were the biggest letdown.
  16. ConorKenneally
    Oct 17, 2004
    i cant rate minusly can i. this is the worst movie ive ever seen. it is so boring and i couldnt watch it again even if the company payed me, ive seen some stinkers but damn movies have hit a new low i really couldnt stand it, id rather watch the bold and the beautiful geez what were they smoking to come up with this shocker? to finish off id just like to remind everybody who saw it that i cant rate minusly can i. this is the worst movie ive ever seen. it is so boring and i couldnt watch it again even if the company payed me, ive seen some stinkers but damn movies have hit a new low i really couldnt stand it, id rather watch the bold and the beautiful geez what were they smoking to come up with this shocker? to finish off id just like to remind everybody who saw it that it is really bad and if you liked it.....never talk to me, but anyway id just like to tell anyone who hasnt seen it to NOT see it, see something worth while seeing like the butterfly affect or black hawk down or how high etc. i never want to see a movie like this again and now i bid you all farewell. Expand
  17. BillT.
    Dec 12, 2004
    It was crap, how can the critics say it was good? Sure its similarity to real maori life is good but it was ssooooooooo boring!
  18. NatalieA.
    Dec 11, 2003
    I saw this movie at school and thought it was the most boring movie I have ever seen. It was so slowmoving and I almost feel asleep. In my opinion it is movie that should not have been shown here in America. I thought that the whole movie was overrated. I don't understand what the big deal is with this movie!!!
  19. DeanR.
    Dec 24, 2003
    Banal, predictible and utterly misogynistic. It amazes me how quickly we excuse despicable behavior when it is wrapped up in some ancient tribal tradition. Let's glorify cannibalism why don't we?
  20. TuahineP.
    Nov 27, 2007
    I really didn't like the movie because originally it was about a boy not a girl and if you take a good look at the movie its kind of a disgrace to maori kind.
  21. Mar 27, 2014
    This movie is a bubbling cauldron of whale urine. The acting is putrid, the story nauseating, and the cinematography mundane, unless you like lots of underwater shots of people slowly drifting around with voiceovers playing in the background. In fact, I made an account specifically so I could come and issue the warning that Roger Ebert and his fellow critics wouldn't. STAY AWAY!

1. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Caro gives the fablesque story -- based on a 1,000-year-old Maori legend -- both a contemporary and timeless quality, anchored by newcomer Castle-Hughes' powerful and haunting performance.
    There is magic here, enough to make Whale Rider worthy of the audience-choice awards it has earned at film festivals worldwide.
  3. The rhythms of Whale Rider are hypnotic as the ebb tide, haunting as the song of the humpback sea mammal, bracing as the ocean spray. It's a movie that rewards the patient viewer.