6.9

1. May 31, 2014
    Let me first state I don't like dramas and really only if there good will I manage to somewhat enjoy them this movie was fairly good I liked the story and the humor also the competition was fun to watch as well it kept the cliche love stuff to a minimum which is very fortunate I'd recommend watching this especially if your an Ellen Page fan like I am
  2. Mar 20, 2012
    Formula film that is fun to sit back and watch without any high expectations.
  3. j30
    Oct 7, 2011
    A decent directorial debut from Drew Barrymore. Ellen Page and Kristen Wiig are always terrific. If you're looking for a date night, chick flick movie that's bearable, this might be your ticket.
  4. Jul 31, 2011
    I really liked the cast! Very nice people gathered for the premiere of Drew Barrymore as a director. There are many cute scenes, some dialogue as well. But what attracts this movie, other than the cute Ellen Page, are the super forced performances of the girls. Drew and Juliette Lewis are very enjoyable to see. In addition, the Roller Derby is fun to watch because it has a lot of beating.I really liked the cast! Very nice people gathered for the premiere of Drew Barrymore as a director. There are many cute scenes, some dialogue as well. But what attracts this movie, other than the cute Ellen Page, are the super forced performances of the girls. Drew and Juliette Lewis are very enjoyable to see. In addition, the Roller Derby is fun to watch because it has a lot of beating. I also loved the soundtrack. I think itâ Expand
  5. Dec 11, 2010
    A very pleasant film that is greatly elevated by fine acting from Ellen Page and Marcia Gay Harden. After decades in Hollywood, Drew Barrymore clearly knows her way around a film set and proved herself to be a very adept director. This movie is purely fun and escapist, and I could see teenage girls really rallying around it.
  6. Nov 15, 2010
    Feels like a whole bunch of executives had a meeting and decided to pack as many indie stereotypes in to one movie as possible. Their market research was accurate, but still, it didn't feel right. I bet the actresses had a good time on set though and I am jealous of that! Ellen Paige is a babe.
  7. Oct 18, 2010
    Loved Ellen Paige in Juno so when I saw that she was starring in this movie I just knew I had to go see it, so... I didn't. But recently a friend of mine had the dvd and we watched it and I was really glad I did. Loved it. Well, to an extent. The story was pretty good, a unique subject that as far as I know it's the only movie really to talk about it. And it actually got me legitimatelyLoved Ellen Paige in Juno so when I saw that she was starring in this movie I just knew I had to go see it, so... I didn't. But recently a friend of mine had the dvd and we watched it and I was really glad I did. Loved it. Well, to an extent. The story was pretty good, a unique subject that as far as I know it's the only movie really to talk about it. And it actually got me legitimately interested in roller derby. The main characters were great as usual and the underlining themes of father/daughter and the obvious mother/daughter was well done. I guess I could say supporting characters lacked a bit and the love interest part wasn't too well done in my opinion, or well just made me mad I suppose. So anyway, 3.5 out of 5 from me.

8. Aug 29, 2010
    Drew barrymoore's first and hopefully last film. To say it was dreadful, is a compliment. The only thing i can remotely recommend is the soundtrack, I never thought Barrymoore was that great at acting, but i think it's something she ought to stick to.

1. Page is softer than in "Hard Candy" and "Juno." Without Diablo Cody comebacks, she’s even more marvelous.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Brunette
    Clicks on so many levels -- heartwarming family story, rough-and-tumble display of grrrl power and a secondary but tender and convincing romance.
  3. Reviewed by: Rob Nelson
    Laced with good-natured hipster kitsch and endearingly goofy girl power, director Drew Barrymore's roller-derby dramedy, Whip It, is a gas.