6.8

1. Sep 6, 2013
    Dont understand what the fuss is about this movie. its more of an extended episode of Walking Dead. Everybody in this movie is stupid with the exception of Pitt which I find annoying! This is a Zombie flick for women plain and simple! When i watched the movie at the local cinema girls where wearing minis and hot pants and there was an unusually large number gay men in the movie house! Ok its a chick flick, starring Pitt! grrrrrr Expand
  2. Jul 6, 2013
    This is going to be a short review. I make it no secret that I hate zombies. Not the zombies themselves, but how they are shown in different medias. Why? Because the all feel the same if you have seen one zombie movie you've seen them all. You know what? World War Z is no different. It's your standard zombie movie that we already have too much of. This movie is based off of the 2006 book of the same name. I haven't read the book because, well, I can't care. Not that it matters seeing as this movie has nothing to do with the book it is based on. But whatever. I would talk about the story, but again standard zombie flick. What I will say is plot holes a plenty. The biggest problem I have is how pointless all of the characters really are. They are nothing but a bunch of read shirts whose only purpose is to appear give out exposition and die. Even characters who seem important will die quickly and be forgotten even quicker. The only character who survive the zombies beside Pitt and his family is an Israeli soldier whose name you won't remember so you will just call her Israeli soldier. The only thing quicker than the red shirts' deaths is the poor pacing of the movie. the character will spend only seconds in a scene before it ends. There are important scenes where you think something will happen or be explained, but instead it is over within seconds. I find this really lazy as it takes up the films entire running time almost two hours, leaving an unsatisfied feeling from the watcher. Also there is a lot of things that just happen to happen, like when Pitt gets to Israel and the zombies get through the wall. Why? Because the peoples chanting, because as we know Israel is known for how quiet it is. The actors bring nothing to the table. Alonso Duralde of The Wrap put it best when he said, "For all its effectiveness at portraying the horror of possible human extinction, the film's actual humans are so soulless that this could just as well be the movie version of the video game Plants vs. Zombies." If you see the actions of the zombies you will find it just as funny. Finally the ending, I will say I am one of those who was surprised and impressed with how they defeated the zombies as it made total sense. However, Brad states, that despite this, that it isn't over yet. Which makes no sense as literally the next scene has some guys setting a mountain of zombies on fire. All Paramount is trying to do is give a reason to make a sequel. No. Really. They have confirmed that World War Z will be a trilogy. I look forward to nothing changing in the future. As for this movie, it has to be a 3/10. This was a lazy movie even by zombie standards and to think that a movie like this warrants a sequel just increases my annoyance with the capitalism in the movie. Disagree comment below. Expand
  3. Nov 22, 2013
    Wow, I am actually shocked. After years of horrible, homogeneous zombie apocalypse movies, this movie is a breath of fresh air. When I saw brad pitt on the cover, I knew it couldnt be terrible, and it turned out to be worthy of such a top rated actor. I am really glad they made this because the R.E films were a huge disappointment, and if I have to watch another british port of 28 adderol later I think I would puke. If you want a good modern zombie flick, this is it. Who cares if it isnt like the book, its not like this is a Tolkien port, and it's still a great movie. I dont understand how people are saying there was no plot. The plot was easily the most intricate of any zombie series other than R.E. which actually had too long and complex of a manifestation. There is plenty of suspense rather than simply relying on gore and zombies popping out of nowhere at easily predictable moments. The character development and conflict resolution were brilliantly written and acted. Some of these people putting down Brads acting should try their own hand at theatre and see if they can even get in the door of a film studio.

****************MINOR SPOILER********************

Best part of the film: after days of running and killing zombies, Brad Pitt finally figures out a way to "avoid" the zombies "smell". So what does he do? He sits down in a hallway full of them and pops a can of soda.
  4. Jul 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was one of the movies I was really excited for, I was looking forward to seeing a zombie movie of this scale be on screen for the first time. When I finally got a ticket and found my seat, I was a little disappointed. I couldn't think of anything this movie could do wrong, but it's amazing how amazingly unremarkable this is. World war Z fails to leave any lasting expressions; at least with the other action movies I saw (Man of steel and Pacific Rim) they had something that made me remember it, but here I can't remember anything spectacular other than the effect of the zombies. Speaking of which, the idea of zombies doing some of the acts they do in this film is pretty cool to look at, but that can be said about a lot of zombie movies. This does however have a good lead, Brad Pitt is pretty good in the position of a man with a family going into these hordes of zombies to find a solution. What he finds is actually the only thing that I remember that's interesting; conceptually, that by being infected already with a disease can prevent the zombies from seeing you. That said, it in my opinion ruins any ideas for a sequel; which is the most infuriating part in this film, because there's nothing to worry about. I haven't talked much about the novel of the same name because I did not read it, and I really should because my friends highly advise it. I best wrap this up, overall this is just a fun zombie thrill ride; I really wanted some more political talk and more substance, but is just so dependent on it's lead who doesn't carry the whole film when I don't care about anything else. Expand
  5. Jul 4, 2013
    Are you looking for a thrilling zombie film with a masterfully crafted plot and interesting characters? Well, keep looking. The experience you get from this film is on par with that of the latest resident evil movies. The spoon-fed story is predictable and full of lame excuses for light-'em-up zombie action sequences, which are only mildly entertaining. A more suitable title for this film could have been "Generic Zombie Movie Blockbuster #3462." Expand
  6. Jul 3, 2013
    Stand alone it was a great movie. Having read the book however I think they should have changed the title to avoid false expectations, after all only a few details went along with the book. If you have read the book DON'T go in expecting Max Brooks brilliance, but don't worry you will enjoy it. Frankly I am kinda happy they didn't do Yonkers I don't believe Hollywood would have been able to do it justice, crazy high budget or not. Brad Pitt was excellent for the non book roll they made for him. Expand
  7. Jul 22, 2013
    RECENSIONE ITALIANA Allora.. ho aspettato un attimo prima di recensire World War Z perchè avevo bisogno di metabolizzarlo e "pensarlo".. Se avete letto il libro, il film tratto da circa 5 o 6 pagine di esso quindi non aspettatevi una trasposizione fedele ma piuttosto una reinterpretazione. Recensendolo come film di per sè non stato un granchè.. effetti speciali di alto livello in quelle 4 o 5 scene in cui davvero fanno effetto ma per il resto stato tutto troppo "americanizzato". Il protagonista (Gerry) sembra Rambo con un pizzico di Die Hard (ATTENZIONE SPOILER) taglia con un colpo la mano ad un soldato usando un coltello, lancia granate dentro aerei in volo, si inietta roba che non conosce e ne esce sempre vivo e illeso..

Il punto del libro non era quello di mettere un super agente alla resident evil in cima alla scala evolutiva ma piuttosto, analizzare e far comprendere una società (o più società) che si adatta, si evolve, marcisce e si elimina da sola al di là della situazione Zombie.

Leggendo il libro gli Zombie danno l interesse nel leggere oltre ma sono le piccole grandi frasi pronunciate dagli intervistati che sono davvero interessanti. Come ad esempio lo scempio dell industria farmaceutica e i suoi giri di miliardi intorno alla nostra salute etc.

Il film di per sè carino ma prendetelo tranquillamente come fosse un Resident Evil un pò meno "tamarro". Secondo me stata sbagliata la scelta di "eroicizzare" ad ogni costo un protagonista oltre alla frasona finale che credo di aver sentito anche nel telefilm dei Power Rangers.

Peccato perchè potevano davvero creare un film che mostrasse la REALE reazione umana di fronte a una situazione IRREALE e non per forza l ennesimo super figo che arriva sia fisicamente sia mentalmente oltre svariati miliardi di persone che vivono la stessa esperienza.. bhà.. un filmetto da pizza e birra niente di più..
  8. Jul 6, 2013
    Unbelievable. This summer the most-anticipated movies turn out to be mere shells of entertainment. After an infantile Iron Man 3, a superficial Superman, we are not treated to the dumbest movie of them all. At least I hope so. Because for some reason enough critics and customers seem to enjoy this picture. So the studios might be tempted to create more of this lowest-common-denominator stuff.

Brad Pit does his thing, the fx are decent enough. but the story is an insult for any adult thanks to a plethora of plot holes and obvious inconsistencies. The purpose of the story seems limited to being a vehicle for all-American family values. There is not even enough content to appreciate the picture as a fun and relaxing joke.

Read the book or watch a decent movie like 'Oblivion', or even a superb one like 'Shaun of the Dead'.
  9. Jul 6, 2013
    Run-of-the-mill post apocalyptic zombie plague movie which drags the viewer along from point a to point b with a little pinch of action in between. The only good point is the vfx which uses particle effects to animate a horde of zombies. World war zzzzzzzz
  10. Jul 4, 2013
    World War Z is a movie that (thankfully) got to the action parts of the movie very close to the beginning and at the same time got you very informed as to what was going on. This movie let other subjects and problems intervene into the story but unlike many other zombie movies, managed to not let the fact that there was a giant zombie invasion turn into a minority.
  11. Jul 4, 2013
    This movie was not surprising, and neither too creative nor groundbreaking. You shouldn't be shocked by this movie, but you’re the zombie lover then you should leave content. Brad Pitt was not brilliant with the role he was given but his attempt was decent. World War Z strays away from the novel it once became and left as a just another movie.
  12. Jun 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. World War Z is a slow-paced typical zombie apocalypse story. Gerry Lane, his wife, and their two children are looking forward to a normal day of family fun when everything goes wrong. It all starts with simple chaos, then the occasional explosion. When they step out of the car to see what is happening, they discover something beyond this world. Zombies. The Lanes run to seek refuge, and receive a call from Gerry's old partner in the UN. Hours later, they wait atop a building for the helicopter that has been dispatched to come and rescue them, and barely make it out alive. While at the UN headquarters, Gerry learns that most countries have gone dark, and most of the world's population has been zombified. Can Gerry and his fellow UN workers find a cure to this "disease", or is it already too late? SPOILER WARNING. Well, it is too late. Once you have been bitten, unless you amputate the body part you become a zombie. But what Gerry does discover is that zombies do not attack those who are already sick. The movie comes to a close with an announcement on the radio saying that special injections are being delivered to every part of the country that will prevent being bitten. SPOILER WARNING END.

It was very slow paced and trite. Trite. It seemed inexplicably obvious at times. There'd be a long pause with no music or talking and be followed by, of course, a zombie attack. I liked how short the character development was at the beginning, it gave us time to really grow with the character and fear alongside them. I could really relate to the kids, Constance and Rachel, the most since they are the closest to my age. There were a couple of other parts that got a bit long with the buildup of suspense, but it was otherwise action-packed the whole time. I don't recommend you seeing World War Z; I felt as if it was a waste of my time, as good as it was. 53%.
  13. Jun 26, 2013
    I'm a HUGE fan of Post-Apocalyptic movies, and even more so of ZOMBIES. Waiting around for this movie to be released was far from easy, being that I rarely struggle waiting for releases. Before watching it, I had read few reviews and I was worried. As an zombie-genre lover, I had high expectations, especially with how mass-scale World War Z's approach seemed. (FYI- I have not read the book, and my critique is strictly from a ZOMBIE-Fanatic perspective)

Immersion is what I look forward to the most with these types of films, and while I did manage to experience several moments of shock/surprise- moments that led me to laugh at myself.... my immersion was broken due to stupidity and foolishness exhibited in certain moments of the film.

When the hits the fan, anyone that makes it out unscathed does so due to Darwinistic principles. Survival of the fittest. Survivors don't survive out of luck, they do so out of anxiety and precaution that led them to make the right choices. These wrong vs right choices/moments, while providing the plot with "cool scenes of epic chaos and fearful madness" ultimately pissed me off. The reason they pissed me off is because instead of sticking to that survivalist theme, there was a serious lack of common sense exhibited by the characters during many moments, which broke my immersion because instantly I found myself saying "WTF?! Who does that!?" or "How can you be so careless, how did they make it this far?"

Overall, the film does a decent job of taking you from Point A all the way to Point Z. Unfortunately, the way it does so does not always hit each letter with excellence, and at times makes it seem like they skipped over a few important letters. In the end, it gives viewers enough action to feel the rush, enough resolution to walk out of the theater happy about life, but not enough emotion to feel satisfied with the complete package.

This 3 course meal has a great appetizer, an above average main course, and a sweet-yet poorly structured dessert that cheapens the meal, and makes it harder to stomach especially for those whom have patiently waiting, and starving for a good zombie-flick. I would give it a 7.5, but instead I'm giving it an 8.

If it weren't for the low expectations I had after reading these reviews, I wouldn't have enjoyed the film as much as I did.
  14. Jun 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's a popcorn movie and a pretty intelligent one at that given the global threats of HIV/AIDS; hantivirus; SARS; Ebola and just the effing flu FCOL. We live in the a country (if you live in the USofA) where they are allowed to atomize pig and dead pig parts into the air and water. Where they feed dead diseased animals to chickens and then kill the chickens and send them to SAFEWAY and KFC.

I was on the edge of my seat until after the lab. SUPER film!!!!
  15. Nov 25, 2013
    Unlike other zombie movies ‘World War Z’ isn't scary or disturbing. It has a resourceful hero played by Brad Pitt, a constant race against time in various regions of the world, large-scale, well-directed action (the opening sequence in the city center conveys the sense of panic and death) and secondary characters who aren't decorative. There are some plot holes (no armour is used against the undead, the Israelites do not supervise the area beyond their wall) and the climax is not strong enough but generally this is a satisfying film.
    argonautis.eu
  16. Jun 29, 2013
    As a huge fan of the book and someone who works 2 jobs at the movies and a book store, I had low expectations for the film. It definitely exceeded my expectations and another co-worker who loves the book even if it was entirely different, The third act that was added late at the lab definitely changed the movie, but I've seen worse from Resident Evil movies. It was well-acted, and there was still a sense of humanity left when Gerry had to leave his family. For those who are complaining about the virus origin or the Battle of Yonkers being left out, understand that this is the first of a planned trilogy! Expand
  17. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A fine example of how our the culture of fear has penetrated our society. WWZ gives it's audience an excuse for committing mass genocide. When a set of people can be identified as not human they are more easily killed. Yes, zombies are nasty, but they are a fictional construct to represent the "other." By the end of the film the surviving normals find a way to camouflage themselves. Zombies are now able to be tolerated in society, at least until a cure can be found and developed. A very American played UN agent then states that various less civilized countries have found different ways of dealing with the infected. What follows is nothing more than a montage of holocaust images showing massive pyres of burning humans. Be aware this is propaganda at its finest to date. Now America, symbolized by the lead character, and a silhouetted duck hunter can go to war against the oppressors of zombies. This sounds like a lot of mid wiping for an uneducated viewer. If you like Doomsday Prepers you'll love this film. "Be ready for anything." Expand
  18. Jun 30, 2013
    I didn't believe Brad Pitt would be the right Actor for a role like that that was the topic me and my friends were discussing about when the tsunamis of zombie-themed movies, series and games came out. I can't compare the movie with the book since I haven't read it but I can tell that Brad Pitt isn't the wrong guy for the job.

You really see that there's a high budget working in the
    background when you see how the "Zed"s are animated. I'd preferred a TV series with a comparable budget instead of a movie since I really liked the way they presented the Zombies. Expand
  19. Jul 1, 2013
    World War Z is just an average film that hits this summer as a blockbuster, that can easily be, but not more than that, its only a giant production with Brad Pitt as the big bet of the movie.

Heading more to the story, is a little boring and predictable, but enjoyable, Brad Pitt will always appear as the hero that can do anything with such a damn luck that is just predictable, although
    the production delivers some scenes that are truly interesting but this are the least in the movie, also we can have bad created characters that make you only care about Brad Pitt in scene.

As verdict I can say that this will be a movie that the most of us can barely remember.
  20. Jul 2, 2013
    To start off by saying that the movie was absolutely amazing. For once the zombies looked real it followed the story of the book well and had good characters. One complaint of mine about the movie was that they made it a bit difficult to follow because of skipping days and time. Another complaint is that they tried too hard to advertise company's like Pepsi and certain cars. Other than that the movie was top notch. Expand
  21. Jul 2, 2013
    I gave World War Z 7 stars because it was a great zombie action movie. There could have been more action because most of the time they were running from there lives to try to find a place to hide.
  22. Jul 2, 2013
    Eh.... Don't understand why they advertise David Morse, he is just a cameo. Brad Pitt is the only star in this movie and it shows. He even seems to be smirking at some of the inaccuracies from time to time. It was enjoyable but not good or quality.
  23. Jul 2, 2013
    Big summer blockbuster, just what I want out of a movie. Big star, big budget, no extremely evident political statement being made, just entertainment. Was a little disheartened by the way it slowed down once they started looking for a cure, but still worth seeing in the theater. Probably the best movie I've seen this year. Not too violent for ten and up. No sex, very little cursing (I have to add these things since I'm a parent). Go see it. Expand
  24. Jul 3, 2013
    This is a good zombie movie Close to the universe of Brooks' books The film starts immediately and is rhythmed all long. The only drawbacks I can see are an "americanized" movie a bit caricatural and an ending a bit quick But it doesn't affect at all the fact that this movie is a great movie !

I recommend it
  25. Oct 9, 2013
    World War Z is not a movie that you should take too seriously. Being a fun movie, there is nonetheless some good acting and excellent visuals to be found.
  26. Jul 4, 2013
    It had a mediocre plot, but when the zombies show up is my favorite part overall decent movie but don't need to rush to the theater to watch it just watch a better zombie movie instead ha
  27. Jul 4, 2013
    his is not a horror film, not really a zombie film either. It's a plague film, and any gore porn fan will be disappointed to find that this is not a scary zombie film filled with guts and gore. What you will find is a very good story, a well paced and thrilling romp through the mind of a survivor. The story is solid, and has many harrow and life affirming moments for many of th
  28. Jul 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So, World War Z, first and foremost, is not really a zombie film. Its a horde/plague movie. It contains no real one on one action between zombies and humans. Simply massive hordes of zombies, that cant really be fought. The film was predictable, but the story itself was different than other zombie stories. The way they get infected, they attack, spread, and fight is much different than any other story I've read or watched. The one great thing about this movie, is the fresh style it brings to zombie films. It strays away from the normal, small hordes, occasional big hordes type world. Because the story was predictable, i didn't care too much what happened in the end, which obviously will bring the Angel Beats score down. The story didn't leave you feeling empty, as Angel Beats did, so very well. Even though billions of people died, all across the globe, the ending didn't make me feel empty inside. Again, as Angel Beats did. It would have been so much better, if they made a larger impact on you. I felt they didn't push the epidemic, mass death side of the story too much. As they only focused on the cure, even though the scene in Jerusalem put the world into perspective, the Angel Beats rating, was still not very high. If you are thinking of watching this film, just know, it wont leave you as satisfied as Angel Beats. So overall, only 6 Angel Beats, out of 10. A sad score, for such a hyped film. Expand
  29. Jul 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. World War Z does something that no other movie I've ever seen has managed to do it completely embodies the concept of an "alright" film. In terms of quality, there are no real ups or downs, no real thrills or low points it's just alright, and it's going to stay in my memory purely on the basis that it is phenomenally middle-of-the-road.

Brad Pitt saving the world is not something new to films, and it's not exactly something to get excited about either, but going into the film I had high expectations for a lot of zombie action. The film is hit hard by the PG-13 rating, as there's basically no gore whatsoever, but the hordes of zombies were pretty impressive at times. The main problems with the film lie in looking back at it and realising just what Brad Pitt's character has managed to go through and survive, with basically no goal in mind for most of the movie. He flies all over the world, survives a plane crash, then aimlessly wanders through Wales for a bit, with very little narrative direction.

The concept of the zombies was handled interestingly at least, with the idea of the zombie plague avoiding unhealthy hosts to strengthen itself being its one weakness. It's just a shame that there wasn't any proper zombie gore, or at least some frights and jumps at some points World War Z is, and will forever be, an absolutely alright film the epitome of 5/10s.
  30. Jul 6, 2013
    My very first review. This is not a horror movie no blood no gore, it has tons of cheesey lines
    This is very disappointing for a zombie genre. Myself i have never read the book but what i have heard it's not the same as the book. You also get to barely know the characters there just some family. The story is very unintresing. Some effects can be good at times but that's all to it.
  31. Jul 7, 2013
    For a film that clearly had trouble during production, and also completely disregarded the novel it's based on, World War Z is a surprise, mild success.

I would suppose the general luke-warm response from the average movie goer is largely based on their expectations. Those wishing for an all-out zombie shoot em up will find themselves, quite rightly, disappointed. Yet, at the same time,
    those expecting the intelligence and deep insight from the novel will also be disappointed.

Ignoring the fact that it would near impossible to film World War Z:The novel, the writers obviously went for their own standalone story, minutely based within the WWZ world.

And as a standalone movie, it fares well. There is enough general scope of the apocalypse, and it is clear they wanted to depict some of the thoughts and actions described in Max Brooks' novel. Brad Pitt is as bearable as ever as the lead and manages to divert attention away from the generally bored-looking support cast.

Where the movie falls short, then, is there just isn't enough quality of any particular subject matter. The effects and portrayal of the apocalypse on hand pale in comparison to something like The Road, influenced and written by Cormac McCarthy. The zombie lore is considerably weak, and the ending solution has very little if anything to do with the world the film is allegedly based within. And the ending was admittedly drawn out and yawn inducing.
  32. Jul 9, 2013
    Storyline was not strong, lazy writing doesn't compensate for action adventure compositions. We need writers to be original,patience and open minded to the craft of composing an action adventure composition. We as film composer need to help the writers to be less predicable to lead actors.
  33. Sep 19, 2013
    Your enjoyment of World War Z doesn't hinge solely on your enjoyment of the book which it claims to be based on, but owes it to anyone who has read the book to disclaim "loosely based". That being said, if you've read the book beforehand, the trailers alone should let you know that the film is going in wholly different direction that Max Brooks laid out in his novel.

I am a huge fan of
    the zombie franchise, which George Romero essentially put a patent on and dozens of films have branched off from over the years. What "World War Z" does is attempt to mesh the behavioral patterns of the "28 Days Later" infected undead (I refuse to call them zombies, zombies are the slow, shuffling Romero staple) with the essential ideas behind Brooks' book. It does this admirably, but it's a direction that ultimately didn't need to be taken in order to make the film successful. In my mind, it felt like a lazy way of telling a story that builds itself up, cutting time off of the reel in favor of a more fast-paced, energized film experience.

Being a huge fan of the book, I refused to shell out the $10 to see it in the theaters; as I said, the trailers told me clearly that the film was going to diverge far enough from the book for me to lower my expectations. As a rental, and for what it is, it's nowhere near terrible. Remove all comparisons to the book it takes minor inspirations from, and Brad Pitt does a solid job of weaving his way through a decently scripted and constructed horror film.

This ended up being Pitt's highest grossing film to date, and a combination of factors play into that, not least of which being a rather stale list of opposing options in theaters at the time of its release. Still, it's an enjoyable film, however far it deviates from the source material, and however ridiculous some of us may think calling something that runs a zombie. Could have been better...and could have been a whole lot worse.
  34. Jul 10, 2013
    World War Z is the "Zombie" movie I have been waiting for since the 28 Days/Weeks later series. It is a very good film, for those wanting to avoid CGI focused films, I am not saying avoid this one but most of its best scenes involve hundreds to thousands of "Zombies" at once in incredible CGI.I saw this movie in 3D and I liked it, I have not seen many very good 3D films but this film looked great in 3D. The story is average and thats why it does not get a higher score.However its the action in this film that brings the score right on up as it is fantastic. It is also nice to see Brad Pitt again in a big role and I am happy to say he was brilliant in this film. Expand
  35. Jul 18, 2013
    A structural mess with a disappointing end, this gore free Zombie "epic" suffers from the same kind of commercials direction that Marc Forster inflicted upon "Quantum of Solace". The film also contains an extended love letter to Israel that many have found offensive. This all said, it was better than expected. The opening forty minutes is ok, but it becomes an example of ever decreasing returns as the film goes on. Too much budget and not enough focus. The actress playing Pitt's wife should be ashamed that she accepted such a feeble and demeaning role. A sequel is highly unlikely. Expand
  36. Jul 16, 2013
    This movie was probably one of the worst zombie/post-apocalyptic films I have ever seen, especially for a movie in this time period. It was cheesy, unoriginal, and on top of all it was a major waste of time and money.
  37. Jul 17, 2013
    Terrible...... This is a Resident Evil wannabe on Steroids with very little plot and makes absolutely no sense. At least Resident Evil had suspense and a story line. This was predictable, ridiculous and at times, pretty funny. A solid C
  38. Jul 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After taking time and reflecting on this Film I still cant give this Movie any higher than a 4

Not having read the book and just watching this Film on a whim the only takeaways I got from this movie were;

Pandering to a larger movie audience by dropping the Rating from R to PG 13 kills the fact that this is a "zombie" film, 13 does not a better movie experience make.

Having our Lord and Savior Brad Pitt go all across the globe to search for a cure is mind numbing, the perfect background for a character, the perfect training from picking up details such as timing infection time during a huge panic to being able to sever a hand and dress the wounds keeping infection at bay, and finally single-handedly saving the world from complete destruction.

Lets not forget this is the perfect movie for him because lets face it there are no other characters here to get in the way of what is Brad Pitt's radiant aura. (lets not mention his forgettable kids one with asthma that plays a minor inconvenience role and the other with a bear that allows Brad to count time, Paco the Olympian outrunning his zombified parents, his complacent lamb of a wife, and colonel Mutumbo who's 32 million dollars are yours if you can cash his check in your bank account)

Finally when you are in a zombacalypse and you just found the cure to save the world have a moment to yourself and grab a nice refreshing pepsi because we all need a little product placement in our lives.
  39. Aug 2, 2013
    Kind a thrilling and exciting but the thing that makes this movie so unrealistic are the zombies.The zombies merge together so they can reach the wall and one thing the zombies are aggressive because of the sounds.Lastly I thought Brad Pitt will go to Russia.
  40. Jul 21, 2013
    My new favorite zombie/infected movie of all time, and quite possibly my favorite movie of the year thus far. Yes I went into this movie expecting it to be like the book, but once I dropped that and took it as a standalone feature, the plot still had me on the edge of my seat. It has all you can want in a movie and more!
  41. Jul 27, 2013
    Zombie's were well-depicted and the movie managed to create a good level of suspense. it did it's job as far as zombie movies goes but doesn't have anything extra to bump it up to a 9 or 10, as characters were generally generic and boring.
  42. Jul 27, 2013
    Herewith, my first "anti Slant" review. I'm doing this because I'm tired of reading their sometimes-juvenile, sometimes-pretentious and often wrong-headed movie reviews. (And, while I'm at it: who the heck is "Slant", anyway? And why does Metacritic even allow them to weigh in on films?)

As for World War Z, it's a decent action movie... and a terrific summer one. For those of you who
    appreciated "Contagion", but like a bit more violence, then this is for you. Actually, that's somewhat tongue-in-cheek, because for a "zombie movie" there's not that much glorying in gore. We care about the characters and we care how the movie ends, which is more than one can say about much summer fare. Expand
  43. LTR
    Sep 24, 2013
    This is a decent zombie movie.It might be me but I thought this was more of a comedy than it is serious.The story is okay,the characters are not that good and the action is decent.
  44. May 25, 2014
    World War Z is a entertaining movie but the fact that is shares the same name as the best-seller book is an insult. This film has nothing to do with the book and it should have never been called World War Z to begin with. I was expecting so much from this movie since it was going to be a Blockbuster zombie film staring Brad Pitt so what was not to like. With all the production problems this film had id have to say i was actually pretty surprised by how much it didnt suck. Sure i would have loved a different director i just dont think Marc Forster can do action movies i think we all remember how bad Quantum of Solace was. Another thing is the fact that its a PG-13 movie makes it a hard sell there was barely any gore in the movie and thats what zombie movies thrive on even the uncut version they released was weak. Watching the trailer though i thought the CGI was going to be crap esspecially the Israel part but i was wrong and it ended up looking pretty decent. The editing was a mess and it felt like we would go to one place kill some zombies then go to another place and do the same thing it was pointlesss. The ending was crap though i see that they opened it up for a sequel but id rather hope this film doesnt get one.

Overall i give it a 6.5
  45. Aug 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although the ending resembles other movies with hollywood cheese, the movie has a great word from the cast, awesome premise, and very intense and fun scenes. Expand
  46. Sep 22, 2013
    World War Z must have one of the shortest first acts in film history. The first act, usually the first half hour is generally where the conflict is introduced. This film opens with Gerry Lee, Brad Pitt, a former UN investigator having breakfast with his family. Five minutes later, BAM, zombies. No time is wasted getting straight to the conflict. Begin second act.

The story is not
    complicated: zombies take over the world and Brad Pitt is obliged to save the day. The assault of zombie movies over the past few years has been such an onslaught that by default the genre itself now gives me an automatic feeling of “I don’t care.” World War Z is very much another zombie film, but a damn exciting one. Even the script’s name for becoming a zombie, turning Zeke, is subtlety refreshingly

“It’s not what you say but how you say it.” With cinematic excellence, Director Marc Forster breaths new live into this tired cliché. It’s all in the delivery, and WWZ is all delivery.

As Gerry Lee (Pitt) travels the world trying to solve the mystery behind the infection causing people to turn “Zeke,” the scenes that unfold during his expedition are so exciting that story arc is incidental in comparison. A memorable scene is when a military commander becomes infected. He’s got about ten seconds: “I’m a goddamn Zeke…I got this one boys.” He puts a bullet in this own head

The exotic set designs of the adventurous locales are the highlights of the film. First an adrenaline pumped escape from an infested Philadelphian housing project, then to a US navy ship at sea, then over to a US military base in Korea where a massive fire fight breaks out. Next Lee arrives in Israel where the citizens have protected themselves against the Zekes in a totally ingenious, but vulnerable walled up construction. The set design here is just incredible and when the situation goes awry, and things start blowing up, the visual effects are some of the best around, bar none.
  47. Aug 19, 2013
    This movie has the problem of poor planning. The action and the zombies are great, don't get me wrong there, but in terms of plot its clear to see the writers, director, and editors were all infected. The movie jumps from plot point to plot point without real cohesion or significance. As each point is presented we are left wanting more, we are left to assume that it will have greater significance in the end. But by the end every fertile plot is hollow and sour, every point made left undeveloped and thus left to waste our time.
    This lack of plot development, this lack of depth, carries over with the characters. Every character is a cardboard cutout, they say their line and they vanish with no attachment to the audience. Even the driving force, the family, is abandoned by the film makers not even a quarter of the way through the film. The same goes for every other character as well. Each one is introduced, spotlighted, and then tossed away without having any kind of impact.
    In short, the movie is a jumble of undeveloped ideas and weak characters. Zombies were scary.
  48. Sep 8, 2013
    Movies will almost always fall short of the books they are based on, this is no exception. I did not read the book since i am not a fan of the genre but i can clearly see why this falls short of its book counterpart. The story is unoriginal, story telling is like jumpcuts that fail to immerse the viewer into itself. I had the idea that film was made to milk the genre that bulls..t series called walking dead (first season was the only good part) and it is a great excuse for cgi and expensive action scenes.

tl&dr: This film is made for stupid people that like pew pew, eye candy and badly portrayed cliche relationships with an unoriginal storyline.
  49. Oct 4, 2013
    Not a fan of zombie movies but I asked if Mr. Pitt had the main character look, but I was disappointed, no more than an average movie, even better and more exciting I've seen in this genre.
  50. Sep 6, 2013
    It really is a thriller because it keeps you on the edge of your seat when the action starts. Although it has recycled about 100 times plot. It starts like many other apocalypse movies with a family and you just wait until the movie turns into a babysitting for the protagonists kids and listening to their boring problems so that you can turn the movie off and go do something else. That isn't the case here. There are lot of change of scenery where the action takes place, the CGI is excellent and one more thing: humans finally get to win the zombie apocalypse which is a nice change. Expand
  51. Nov 6, 2013
    While I am a fan of both Brad Pitt and zombies, I was pretty disappointed. It had action and the CGI was pretty good, but apart from that, everything else was just another interpretation of an overused theme: zombie survival/a zombie apocalypse. The movie had a lot of plot holes; felt rushed; and was somewhat predictable. If you're a zombie gore fan than you'll be disappointed since the violence was toned down. (Though I appreciated the lack of bloody gore, since I'm honestly not a huge fan of it.) If you're also a fan of the book, please note: The movies nothing like the book. The only things the book and movie have in common are the title. Nothing else. It's like I Am Legend, just with more people and zombies. I did not like the script, and I think there should've been more depth to the story and characters. The movie was kinda anticlimactic. You should watch The Walking Dead instead.

If you liked this review, read my other work by clicking on my name and mark this as helpful. I review movies, TV shows, and videogames.
  52. Sep 5, 2013
    Started as mundane zombie movies, but the banality was removed at the end with a message. Generally, a movie is supposed to supply a good message and i believe this one did it pretty well "fight if you can, help each other, be prepared for anything". A good one to watch.
  53. Sep 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. World War Z, good title right? Well, after seeing it, I have to say that that was one of the best parts. I walked into World War Z hoping for big things. The movie Starred Brad Pitt, Mereille Enos, Matthew Fox, and many other big actors which made me pumped for the film.

When the film starts, Gerry Lane (Brad Pitt) is watching TV at breakfast hearing about Taiwan treating an outbreak of rabies and we as an audience are not supposed to think too much about this but given the name, it was blatantly obvious that this had to do with the zombie outbreak. Gerry used to work for the United Nations as a troubleshooter who flies into conflicts but later quit. We see him driving his wife Karin (Mereille Enos) to work and his kids to school stuck in regular city traffic, when a cop on a motorcycle clips the cars side view mirror off. More cops are telling them to stay in their cars when the cop gets run over by a big truck that is plowing cars over and Brad follows the truck to get out of traffic.

The movie displays zombies, hurling themselves through windows and at cars trying to infect others. When a train is counting down with time to board, we learn that it only takes twelve seconds for a human to turn into a zombie. The family hijacks an RV and gets out of the area. They get to an apartment building and stay with a family until a helicopter from Gerry's previous job comes to pick them up.

They are taken to a shelter and are only allowed to stay if Brad can go to Jerusalem to observe the situation. Events then occur such as Gerry in a plane crash and waking up in a medical facility. Without revealing the ending, I can say that I was not surprised at all and actually got friends upset with me because I would predict correctly everything that would happen in the movie out loud, before it did.

Being thirteen, the movie had a basic concept and was not very surprising at all. Brad did not act at his full potential and I think that impacted the movies quality dramatically. Would I go expecting an enjoying movie? No. I would see this film only if you were dying to see a movie and this is what happened to be playing. I think that World War Z had a lot of potential, but lacked in the long run.
  54. Sep 11, 2013
    Love this movie so much Love this movie so much Love this movie so much Love this movie so much Love this movie so much Love this movie so much Love this movie so much Love this movie so much
  55. Sep 12, 2013
    This is the best movie that i watched for my life. I love Brad Pitt and those zombies. This movie is really nice: a little bit funny, interesting, really nice action.
  56. Sep 17, 2013
    Director Marc Forster is to be congratulated for a well done zombie apocalypse movie that never lagged and kept me entertained the whole time. Now, only if it had followed the book even one small bit, would this movie have worked perfectly. But, the book's storyline wasn't one to be made into a movie of this caliber, so basically Forster is between a rock and a hard place with this one.
  57. Sep 17, 2013
    While it is true that World War Z is based upon a book, it's not helpful to look at it that way. Very few movies, at least that I can think of, do books justice. So, watch this movie with the idea that it's going to be NOTHING like the books.

Now that we have that squared away, this movie is enjoyable for what it is. It's not outstanding, but nor is it utter filth. It's very much just a
    really basic action-horror. The Visual FX were fairly well done, and the behavior of the Zombies are fantastic, especially with the way they attack. Jumping head first, putting their weapon (Their teeth) first.

It's a decent movie for what it is. Comparing it to the book will get you nowhere.

PS: Matthew Fox from Lost is in here as an unnamed Paratrooper. What happened to his career?
  58. Sep 20, 2013
    Great movie! Maybe is not like the book, but is really funny, creepy (in some moments), cool, the performances are great, the effects WOW amazing. World War Z is one of my favorite movies of this year.
  59. Sep 23, 2013
    the new concept of zombies... well at least its virus and lethal. i very much enjoy the movie. cant stop to amaze, no room for rest. brad pitt played very well. and u have to give credit for the "zombies". they look so scary, scarier than residen evil's zombie
  60. Oct 17, 2013
    Well. It's a good movie, but, the thing that like 90% of the Earth's population gets infected in 1-2 days, it's not that well think ed, and to be honest, this movie is more known because it has Brad Pitt in it.
  61. Sep 28, 2013
    Could have been worse. It wasn't anything like the book, but I sat through it and felt neutral about it. It was a bit of a let down in the fact that the trailers looked so much better than the film actually turned out to be, but I've definitely seen worse.
  62. Sep 27, 2013
    World War Z has a pretty good story, the way the infection starts and how they get rid of the infection. I did not like brad pitt in this movie, during the whole movie he had a look on his face like if he was bored or something.
  63. Sep 29, 2013
    I found this movie very enjoyable. I was nervous it was going to be like any other "zombie" movie, kind of like the Vampire fad had gotten really played out, but it wasn't anything like that. Honestly who gives a crap if it was nothing like the book. I haven't read the book, nor do I plan too. Reading is just not enjoyable for me. Only giving it a 9 because I am hoping they make a sequel.
  64. Oct 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. World War Z is a realistic movie with impressive CGI. However, the story is very repetitive on how the main character(s) are the only ones that survive in every catastrophic event. For example, how come the two main characters survived and no one else? Expand
  65. Oct 20, 2013
    I'll start by saying as an adaptation it is a failure. That said not comparing this to the book and looking at it as it's own movie with nothing else, I have to say this movie is boring and on more than one occasion I was actively hoping Brad Pitt would die and we could follow some other more interesting character that is around him.

The story follows a complete Mary Sue or Gary Stu
    who is incapable of failing at literally anything he does. Even in his failures he succeeds! He robs a pharmacy and find the exact looter who is not only willing to help him but then encourages him while complete chaos break out around him and did I mention he gets the exact last bit of medicine that he need? After being led on to believe it is all out the looter shows up to ask him what he is looking for and give it to him and wish him luck. Oh but it was just humanity helping each other out. It would be if it happened again or maybe if while he wasn't looking for it his wife wasn't about to get raped. He and his children survive a car crash, not just a fender bender but a full of T-bone collision while his asthmatic daughter isn't buckled up and the only problem she has is that she is hyperventilating but she is still capable of running since at that exact moment they are swarmed by "zombies". We are introduced to much more interesting characters all through the movie only to watch them die or just leave. Brad Pitt tells people he need to get back to his family, only to have a random no named soldier try to reprimand him by questioning why he thinks he is so special since they all have families that want to get back to and he never gives a reason why he is so important. In fact his character has no importance there is nothing that makes him so special. They say he was a reporter at one time and that he was good but he does nothing that no one else can't do. Everything about this movie is boring or bad. I'm a fan of the original book but I knew going into this it had nothing to do with it in anyway other than title and I still came out disappointed and upset that it cost me after matinee. Expand
  66. Oct 27, 2013
    It's nothing unique or special, but it surprises with the great twists and turns. I was prepared to watch a mediocre zombie film, but I ended up watching a relatively decent movie. It's also visually striking. But, despite it's twists, it's sometimes even cliche and cheesy. The story isn't so impacting, ending with a predictable conclusion.
    Despite it's numerous disappointments, it's
    still a very enjoyable and tensional film. (Final Score: 7.10) Expand
  67. Nov 6, 2013
    Well I do enjoy zombie films, this one sticks out saying; "Over Here, watch me!" The first and second segments of the film where great although when the survivors begin to Infect themselves with Sexual diseases, cancer and other nasties. I was left in the Cinema with my jaw on the floor because of how ridiculous that Idea was, Die faster then the Infection. Nice, why not throw yourself into the horde of the infected. Expand
  68. Nov 22, 2013
    A tad cheesy, and the storyline is completely lacking backstory. Over all it's a good movie but a onetime watcher for sure. It jumped into the insanity of the zombie hoard onslaught without explaining anything about the main characters except that he used to be important. I just didn't really connect with the main character and the ending really seemed corny and obvious.
  69. Nov 29, 2013
    World War Z aces as a thrilling action flick with good acting and great action sequences, however, it isn't scary for a horror-action fil and emotion lacks its necessary limelight.
  70. Dec 10, 2013
    While I am a fan of both Brad Pitt and zombies, I was pretty disappointed. It had action and the CGI was pretty good, but apart from that, everything else was just another interpretation of an overused theme: zombie survival/a zombie apocalypse. The movie felt rushed; but with all the trouble World War Z had during production I'm surprised it wasn't a complete disaster If you're a zombie gore fan than you'll be disappointed since the violence was toned down. (Though I appreciated the lack of bloody gore, since I'm honestly not a huge fan of it. However, you could get the Unrated version if you want to see blood and gore.) If you're also a fan of the book, please note: The movies nothing like the book. The only things the book and movie have in common are the title. Nothing else. It's like I Am Legend, just with more people and zombies. I did not like the script, and I think there should've been more depth to the story and characters. The movie was kinda anticlimactic. You should watch The Walking Dead instead.

(P.S, you may have seen this review by me under t
  71. Dec 12, 2013
    Jumping straight into the action is both a blessing and a curse. Most of it seems recycled, but is sure to please fans of the zombie genre. The lab scene was by far the best part.
  72. Dec 13, 2013
    No question about it: 10 our of 10. The whole movie is intense from the opening scene, to the happy ending. Those zombies were so intense and awesome i cried The movie did have some scary moments that just made it all the more better. The movie was really fast paced for some people which is understandable (super quick zombie), but hey, if i have thousand of zombies sprinting towards me, i'll be running for my life.

This is personally for me is my favorite movie (apart from the Fast and Furious series. R.I.P. Paul Walker.) it is by far my most favorite zombie movie. This is honestly the only thing that could have been better than The Walking Dead TV Series.

Bottom Line: Best Zombie Movie; World War Z.Best Zombie TV Show; The Walking Dead. (also 10 out of 10)
  73. Dec 22, 2013
    It was a very wonderful film! The best film about zombies I've ever seen. I don't like a lot of blood and guts, severed limbs and toilet humour in zombie-films. Yes, this film of course has some stupid or impossible moments, but the film, despite all bad, is fantastic. I enjoyed it in 3D and I watch it at home sometimes... seldom. Cool film!
  74. Dec 23, 2013
    The movie is great at what it aims to be: a disastermovie. It has not much to do with the book besides the name. If you want a scarry horrormovie this isn't for you. But if you want an entertaining adventure/disastermovie World War Z is great!
  75. Jan 16, 2014
    Excellent! I love the zombie's in this picture. They mound into giant piles! whats not to love. Brad Pitt does a wonderful job leading this film though adventure, carnage and excellent zombie encounters.
  76. Jan 21, 2014
    How best to describe this movie? Umm... Well have you ever sat through a 2-hour film and at the end just uttered the sound Blah? Well this is that movie. World War Z is full of uninspiring characters, a woeful script and a narrative without any meaningful content. Yes the ridiculous turbo charged zombies with cat like reflexes do capture your attention, if that’s what you think a zombie should look like. The truth however is this, World War Z doesn't spend enough time making you believe, evoking emotion between characters and developing the story in an intellectual manner. Each scene feels like its made out of toilet paper and then stuck to the next with super glue, you may think I'm being harsh but this is a movie with an enormous budget based on a fantastic book. Its certainly action over content my friends.

On a positive note Brad Pitt does have some gravitas and the solution to conquering the Undead is pretty cool, but that said it's still a very disappointing outcome to what should have been a great movie.
  77. Jan 21, 2014
    The move was ok, but It could have been better. If you haven't read the book, Go ahead and watch it. If you have, you might be a little disappointed, but overall, it is a good movie i would watch again
  78. Feb 16, 2014
    It did not live up to what we all were hoping for. It has a few interesting scenes here and there but if you go in and watch it expecting a grand and epic zombie film, you're going to be disappointed. There's not a whole lot of "zombie" elements to the movie as it's not very gory at all. And that's fine, there are movies like that but this one didn't do it right. If you enjoy zombie films, it's not for you. If you want something to watch and you have nothing to do, go for it. Expand
  79. Mar 11, 2014
    i love brad pitt's world war z it is the most exciting zombie film and marc foster film i have ever seen in my life . if there's a sequel then i cant wait to watch it
  80. Jun 25, 2014
    When you read this complete review, you'll be very surprised that I still gave World War Z (WWZ) this rating. That's because WWZ has one very big problem, which I will talk about. It's amazing though, that outside of that one problem, everything in WWZ is good enough for it to get a 9 out of 10. WWZ is very different from other zombie flicks. It's not filled with gore, and it's not like The Walking Dead where they try to survive in a post-apocalypse world. It basically is, well, a world war with zombies. In terms of acting, WWZ's only shining star is Brad Pitt. Everybody else is basic. WWZ mixes up genres, too. It is a thriller, horror, and action movie. However, if you are a true die hard horror fan, you might be disappointed (wasn't a problem for me). WWZ's action is hard to describe. It is definitely intense and has good fear building, but it's not the kind of violence you'd expect. I loved the zombie action, but it's not exactly what Transformers fans would want. That's okay. It's beautifully shot, too. Some of the best parts come from when thousands to millions of zombies are piling up on each other to wreck havoc. I loved every single part of WWZ except....THE STORY AND ENDING. It starts off fairly good. As it progresses though, it just becomes so jumbled and convoluted. The plot can get dumb at times, too. It was a big problem as it went on. The conclusion leaves so much to be desired and it's one of those types that just screams "SEQUEL!". I hate those kind of endings. Besides the story and ending, WWZ is constantly entertaining. Expand
  81. Mar 25, 2014
    World war z follows he story of a UN employee (brad Pitt) on his mission to halt a zombie pandemic. The film starts off great and gets abit dull in the middle but towards the end it picks up. It is tense from start to finish the only thing I would heavily criticise is the fact they barely go into detail as to how the outbreak started, they could of added a whole new layer to the story but instead they just used the main character as the focal point without adding anyone else into the fray. The film has got some bad press but generally I'd say its worth watching as it's not your usual zombie movie, it's actually believable and the zombies actually seem intelligent rather than walking around aimlessly. The acting as a whole is pretty bad imo, the only actors that really deserve credit are the kids, as brad Pitt barely says anything and all his wife does is look into the camera looking **** scared. I would of gave the movie a much higher rating if they would of just built on the plot, which I have heared the book does very well. Expand
  82. Jul 27, 2014
    The story is very well-paced. The plot can constantly keep me interested. Acting is good. A lot of intense moment and action. Special effect / CG is also excellent. Quite a lot of unrealistic scene that don't really make sense though. I also think that the movie ends too suddenly. If you a fan of the book you can straight up give this movie a zero but if you are new to World War Z and simply want to watch an action-packed movie, this is the movie for you. BUT you are warned, if you are seeking for a horror movie, don't watch this. This is an exciting movie only. Expand
  83. Jun 17, 2014
    Prior to watching this: I have not read the comics.
    Review: Disjointed film with isolated incidents. Same old zombies stuff. The film was only saved by its last act. Not worth watching.
  84. Jul 14, 2014
  85. Jul 24, 2014
    BRAD PITT COLLECTS ANOTHER PAYCHECK ....and audiences continue to get dumbed down into paying for lazy trash like wwz

don't expect to be horrified, expect to be bored and annoyed

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 29, 2013
    World War Z is the most gratifying action spectacle in years, and one reason for its success if the Pitt doesn't play a superhero. [1 July 2013, p.76]
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Jun 21, 2013
    Director Marc Forster is very good at amping up the terror, but after a while, we reach zombie overload and we might as well be watching an infestation of Transformers.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Jun 21, 2013
    Given how efficiently World War Z has delivered jolts and screams over the course of its sleek 116-minute running time, it’s easy to forgive this rushed and slightly muted finale.