6.8

1. Jun 26, 2015
    Better than most typical zombie flicks. Brad Pitt is pretty solid in this role. The main criticisms i have for the film are it is a little long and not the best written.
  2. Jun 12, 2015
    This is Perfect, i love all... this film shows people that they should not expect the disease to reach the world and then treat them , the world has to see things that harm arising from other things that come acontencendo wrong and solve these problems in the bud...
  3. May 23, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This isn't really a scary film but rather an emotional one. You care for the characters and you actually want them to survive. Brad Pitt is awesome in this film and the little boy in the beginning is also really good. The zombies aren't that frightening, however the last scene in the medical center is pretty thrilling. There are many moment where Gerry was luckily saved. Definitely one of his best movies. Expand
  4. Mar 26, 2015
    8.2/10................................................................................................................................................
  5. Mar 12, 2015
    I'm not a big fan of the zombie genre, but this was a great zombie film, and makes good entertainment. There were moments, which made it not-your-average-cliched-horrororzombie-film. It had to show a plague, and it showed it well.

The one disappointment I have is that it was never directly adapted from the book, which is, well, nothing short of amazing. Obtaining the rights to the book never came to much use anyway, I guess. So much for that.
  6. Feb 15, 2015
    "World War Z" is a very entertaining, thrilling and exciting film. However, it's so full of cliches, you can't help but notice the little mistakes. Brad Pitt does a terrific job here, but I doubt the rest of the cast does. Probably because they don't have enough screen time, and that may be a problem. The movie is very story-driven, maybe too much, which leads to poor characterization."World War Z" is a very entertaining, thrilling and exciting film. However, it's so full of cliches, you can't help but notice the little mistakes. Brad Pitt does a terrific job here, but I doubt the rest of the cast does. Probably because they don't have enough screen time, and that may be a problem. The movie is very story-driven, maybe too much, which leads to poor characterization. Even then, it's very, very imaginative and original, and that's kind of enough for an apocalyptic zombie film. Expand
  7. Dec 28, 2014
    Brad Pitt puts on a very good performance, but I feel like the movie could have went on for an extra 10 minutes. but i guess they want to make a sequel
  8. Dec 5, 2014
    This is the only Zombie movie/show that makes you believe a zombie apocalypse could actually spread. Most zombies move slow and it takes hours or days for the bitten to turn but these zombies are fast and it takes 10 seconds to turn this makes you think the scenario is possible, slow zombies could never spread and would easily be contained. Forget the book, it was good and the movie isThis is the only Zombie movie/show that makes you believe a zombie apocalypse could actually spread. Most zombies move slow and it takes hours or days for the bitten to turn but these zombies are fast and it takes 10 seconds to turn this makes you think the scenario is possible, slow zombies could never spread and would easily be contained. Forget the book, it was good and the movie is good but the only thing in common is the tittle. Expand
  9. Nov 23, 2014
    Summary: World War Z is thrilling, scary and fast-paced. 82/100 [B+]

Summary: World War Z is thrilling, scary and fast-paced. 82/100 [B+]

Who hadn't fun watching this? Seriously, the first minutes of the film are so damn good, everything happens so fast. I saw it at 2am and believe me, it was an experience. World War Z is an exciting movie filled with intense sequences of violence, horror and fun. I'm not a huge fan of the zombie sub-genre and I haven't read the book. However this one was very surprising to me, I felt engaged with the main character and I cared about his family.

Yeah it has a few flaws but it delivers lots of astonishing moments, memorable action sequences and great performances. Brad Pitt performs Gerry Lane's character and he does a pretty good job during the whole film. His character is believable and well... he's actually the smartest character in the movie. In addition, shout out here to Daniella Kertesz, she performed "Segen" a very important character in the film. She and Brad Pitt are awesome here.

WWZ relies on human perspective and how we would react if something like this happens. Moving on, its final act is scary and makes you feel claustrophobic. Even though the ending does not explain some important issues about the plot, the whole film was pretty solid and never dull. I recommend you to see it on a huge screen with a loud sound system. So, overall, it is a good flick. World War Z is a tense thriller, decently directed and terrifying at times. [B+]
  10. Nov 9, 2014
    World War Z aces as a thrilling action flick with good acting and great action sequences, however, it isn't scary for a horror-action fil and emotion lacks its necessary limelight.
  11. Nov 6, 2014
    I won't lie, I was hesitant to see Brad Pitt in a zombie movie, but I will be the first to admit he played his part good. This movie was really good and had a ton of action and at times it left you on the edge of your seat. It also has some very sad parts which I won't spoil for you, but it is a bit heart wrenching. You have to see this movie if you like zombie movies, if not then itI won't lie, I was hesitant to see Brad Pitt in a zombie movie, but I will be the first to admit he played his part good. This movie was really good and had a ton of action and at times it left you on the edge of your seat. It also has some very sad parts which I won't spoil for you, but it is a bit heart wrenching. You have to see this movie if you like zombie movies, if not then it probably wouldn't appeal to every person, more so just the zombie lovers. Expand
  12. Sep 26, 2014
    This is a great thriller, filled with impressive visual effects and intense suspense. The set design of this film felt grandeur and spectacular, which I felt was great but it inhibited some much needed emotional human moments. Something this film had plenty of were jump scares, which can only be seen as effective in a zombie movie. I did like the realistic tone that was present throughout,This is a great thriller, filled with impressive visual effects and intense suspense. The set design of this film felt grandeur and spectacular, which I felt was great but it inhibited some much needed emotional human moments. Something this film had plenty of were jump scares, which can only be seen as effective in a zombie movie. I did like the realistic tone that was present throughout, making me believe that a zombie outbreak could really happen. Unlike I Am Legend, I thought the way World War Z solved this global catastrophe was believable and eye-opening. Of course the star of World War Z is Brad Pitt, and he does a great job in my opinion portraying the character. My real problem is with the actual character itself. It seems as if this guy is invincible and can overcome any obstacle that comes in his way. I didn't read the book so I'm not sure if that's how the character is written, but it did draw me out of the movie at times. The ending felt very rushed which did affect my grade of the movie; however this is a solid film with more style than substance. Expand
  13. Sep 1, 2014
    After much delay, its an impressive surprise--and as a Walking Dead fan, a surprise which left me in awe and more in love with WWZ. Brad Pitt is as good as ever and we love his take on Zombie-culture.
  14. Aug 31, 2014
    "Most people don't believe something can happen until it already has. That's not stupidity or weakness, that's just human nature." - Jurgen Warmbrunn

Ok, so this is my opinion.Zombies in movies...only in this movie and "The Walking Dead" is masterpiece..
  15. Aug 30, 2014
    Went to see this movie with my mom, and we both loved it. I mean, the film diverges from the book but who cares? I don't read too much but what matters is if the movie is good, right? And it was! It really was!! It's throughouly entertaining from beggining to end. Brad Pitt is pretty f*cking cool, the action sequences are awesome (despite some shaky cameras) and the pacing in this movie isWent to see this movie with my mom, and we both loved it. I mean, the film diverges from the book but who cares? I don't read too much but what matters is if the movie is good, right? And it was! It really was!! It's throughouly entertaining from beggining to end. Brad Pitt is pretty f*cking cool, the action sequences are awesome (despite some shaky cameras) and the pacing in this movie is pretty good as well. Expand
  16. Aug 24, 2014
    I had the misfortune of reading a couple lines from a review before entering the cinema, which spoiled a few scenes for me (scenes which may have been otherwise surprising, but could not be seen coming a mile away). Also, I entered thinking that this movie wouldn't be that good, which seems like a good strategy: I enjoyed War World Z.

In the aftermath, the story seems like a highly

In the aftermath, the story seems like a highly condensed view into a world overrun by a virus that resembles zombies, but doesn't quite get there. Also, it seems like we get a very narrow view with glimpses of something greater and vaster on the outside, and the overall story-building might have benefited from expanding the experience. Now, the emotional baggage seemed elusive and the audience has a harder time actually feeling the emotional layers that are supposed to be there.

The action, actor performances and CGI were nothing out of the ordinary. All in all, the movie was nothing out of the ordinary. The low rating kept the action rather tame, with a lot of off-screen violence, and save for a few jumpy moments, there was nothing scary about the movie, although there were nice seconds of suspense here and there.
  17. Aug 13, 2014
    The action begins really soon in the movie,and there is action non-stop.The zombies are really fast and they are more intelligent than the others.The only bad point is the blood,there is no blood in the movie.In a zombie movie we are expecting to see blood but in this one there is none.
  18. Aug 11, 2014
    Just a real big movie. I don't know the numbers. But this probably cost them too much. The story is not classic. It's great. The scenes are really amazing. I've never seen something similar. How did they do this? It seems real, not like the usual cut scenes and other tricks. I liked this movie, and I really wanted it to be much longer
  19. Jul 27, 2014
    The story is very well-paced. The plot can constantly keep me interested. Acting is good. A lot of intense moment and action. Special effect / CG is also excellent. Quite a lot of unrealistic scene that don't really make sense though. I also think that the movie ends too suddenly. If you a fan of the book you can straight up give this movie a zero but if you are new to World War Z andThe story is very well-paced. The plot can constantly keep me interested. Acting is good. A lot of intense moment and action. Special effect / CG is also excellent. Quite a lot of unrealistic scene that don't really make sense though. I also think that the movie ends too suddenly. If you a fan of the book you can straight up give this movie a zero but if you are new to World War Z and simply want to watch an action-packed movie, this is the movie for you. BUT you are warned, if you are seeking for a horror movie, don't watch this. This is an exciting movie only. Expand
  20. Jun 25, 2014
    When you read this complete review, you'll be very surprised that I still gave World War Z (WWZ) this rating. That's because WWZ has one very big problem, which I will talk about. It's amazing though, that outside of that one problem, everything in WWZ is good enough for it to get a 9 out of 10. WWZ is very different from other zombie flicks. It's not filled with gore, and it's not likeWhen you read this complete review, you'll be very surprised that I still gave World War Z (WWZ) this rating. That's because WWZ has one very big problem, which I will talk about. It's amazing though, that outside of that one problem, everything in WWZ is good enough for it to get a 9 out of 10. WWZ is very different from other zombie flicks. It's not filled with gore, and it's not like The Walking Dead where they try to survive in a post-apocalypse world. It basically is, well, a world war with zombies. In terms of acting, WWZ's only shining star is Brad Pitt. Everybody else is basic. WWZ mixes up genres, too. It is a thriller, horror, and action movie. However, if you are a true die hard horror fan, you might be disappointed (wasn't a problem for me). WWZ's action is hard to describe. It is definitely intense and has good fear building, but it's not the kind of violence you'd expect. I loved the zombie action, but it's not exactly what Transformers fans would want. That's okay. It's beautifully shot, too. Some of the best parts come from when thousands to millions of zombies are piling up on each other to wreck havoc. I loved every single part of WWZ except....THE STORY AND ENDING. It starts off fairly good. As it progresses though, it just becomes so jumbled and convoluted. The plot can get dumb at times, too. It was a big problem as it went on. The conclusion leaves so much to be desired and it's one of those types that just screams "SEQUEL!". I hate those kind of endings. Besides the story and ending, WWZ is constantly entertaining. Expand
  21. Mar 24, 2014
    I was expecting World War Z to be an over the top zombie movie, but it actually had a good story, and was fun to watch.I have not read the book, so I have no clue if it will live up to the expectations of those who have.
  22. Mar 20, 2014
    I put off watching this film for a long time because I hate and avoid Zombie movies. Having said that, this was a pretty good action film. Surprise, surprise. The Zombies weren't overly gory and the race to find a cure kept me interested throughout the film.
  23. Mar 11, 2014
    i love brad pitt's world war z it is the most exciting zombie film and marc foster film i have ever seen in my life . if there's a sequel then i cant wait to watch it
  24. Jan 24, 2014
    One of the best zombie films I've seen. Heard lots about the production problems but if you put that to one side you get a taught, believable and exciting drama. Some of the acting is superb, though personally I thought Brad Pitt was out of his comfort zone playing this character - they should have got someone else to do it. For me he was actually the weakest character in the film. TheOne of the best zombie films I've seen. Heard lots about the production problems but if you put that to one side you get a taught, believable and exciting drama. Some of the acting is superb, though personally I thought Brad Pitt was out of his comfort zone playing this character - they should have got someone else to do it. For me he was actually the weakest character in the film. The epic nature of the plot captures the end of humanity in a very convincing way, last film I saw when it felt this good was war of the worlds. Some of the set-pieces, such as the attack on Jerusalem, are exhilarating. Ending felt very tacked on (as it actually was) and the change of pace at the end let the film end on a slightly disappointing note. However if you want a great zombie film then give this a try. Expand
  25. Jan 16, 2014
    Excellent! I love the zombie's in this picture. They mound into giant piles! whats not to love. Brad Pitt does a wonderful job leading this film though adventure, carnage and excellent zombie encounters.
  26. Jan 6, 2014
    Grande título de 2013, um dos filmes que mais gostei do ano
  27. Dec 23, 2013
    The movie is great at what it aims to be: a disastermovie. It has not much to do with the book besides the name. If you want a scarry horrormovie this isn't for you. But if you want an entertaining adventure/disastermovie World War Z is great!
  28. Dec 22, 2013
    It was a very wonderful film! The best film about zombies I've ever seen. I don't like a lot of blood and guts, severed limbs and toilet humour in zombie-films. Yes, this film of course has some stupid or impossible moments, but the film, despite all bad, is fantastic. I enjoyed it in 3D and I watch it at home sometimes... seldom. Cool film!
  29. Dec 13, 2013
    No question about it: 10 our of 10. The whole movie is intense from the opening scene, to the happy ending. Those zombies were so intense and awesome i cried The movie did have some scary moments that just made it all the more better. The movie was really fast paced for some people which is understandable (super quick zombie), but hey, if i have thousand of zombies sprinting towards me,No question about it: 10 our of 10. The whole movie is intense from the opening scene, to the happy ending. Those zombies were so intense and awesome i cried The movie did have some scary moments that just made it all the more better. The movie was really fast paced for some people which is understandable (super quick zombie), but hey, if i have thousand of zombies sprinting towards me, i'll be running for my life.

This is personally for me is my favorite movie (apart from the Fast and Furious series. R.I.P. Paul Walker.) it is by far my most favorite zombie movie. This is honestly the only thing that could have been better than The Walking Dead TV Series.

Bottom Line: Best Zombie Movie; World War Z.Best Zombie TV Show; The Walking Dead. (also 10 out of 10)
  30. Nov 29, 2013
  31. Nov 25, 2013
    Well, it turns out to be true, what people have been saying; that this movies takes zombie apocalypse more seriously than everyone else. The story is very much different from the book, though. In the end, it was very thrilling but not quite entertaining.
  32. Nov 25, 2013
    Unlike other zombie movies ‘World War Z’ isn't scary or disturbing. It has a resourceful hero played by Brad Pitt, a constant race against time in various regions of the world, large-scale, well-directed action (the opening sequence in the city center conveys the sense of panic and death) and secondary characters who aren't decorative. There are some plot holes (no armour is used againstUnlike other zombie movies ‘World War Z’ isn't scary or disturbing. It has a resourceful hero played by Brad Pitt, a constant race against time in various regions of the world, large-scale, well-directed action (the opening sequence in the city center conveys the sense of panic and death) and secondary characters who aren't decorative. There are some plot holes (no armour is used against the undead, the Israelites do not supervise the area beyond their wall) and the climax is not strong enough but generally this is a satisfying film.
    argonautis.eu
  33. Nov 22, 2013
    Wow, I am actually shocked. After years of horrible, homogeneous zombie apocalypse movies, this movie is a breath of fresh air. When I saw brad pitt on the cover, I knew it couldnt be terrible, and it turned out to be worthy of such a top rated actor. I am really glad they made this because the R.E films were a huge disappointment, and if I have to watch another british port of 28 adderolWow, I am actually shocked. After years of horrible, homogeneous zombie apocalypse movies, this movie is a breath of fresh air. When I saw brad pitt on the cover, I knew it couldnt be terrible, and it turned out to be worthy of such a top rated actor. I am really glad they made this because the R.E films were a huge disappointment, and if I have to watch another british port of 28 adderol later I think I would puke. If you want a good modern zombie flick, this is it. Who cares if it isnt like the book, its not like this is a Tolkien port, and it's still a great movie. I dont understand how people are saying there was no plot. The plot was easily the most intricate of any zombie series other than R.E. which actually had too long and complex of a manifestation. There is plenty of suspense rather than simply relying on gore and zombies popping out of nowhere at easily predictable moments. The character development and conflict resolution were brilliantly written and acted. Some of these people putting down Brads acting should try their own hand at theatre and see if they can even get in the door of a film studio.

****************MINOR SPOILER********************

Best part of the film: after days of running and killing zombies, Brad Pitt finally figures out a way to "avoid" the zombies "smell". So what does he do? He sits down in a hallway full of them and pops a can of soda.
  34. Oct 30, 2013
    Its great game, I loved it...Great story,setting and acting.... This zombie movie however is totally different from Classic zombies where zombie bite you,walk terrible etc. This one, they move very fast like sport car and bite you and you turn in 12 seconds...Great film!
  35. Oct 27, 2013
    It's nothing unique or special, but it surprises with the great twists and turns. I was prepared to watch a mediocre zombie film, but I ended up watching a relatively decent movie. It's also visually striking. But, despite it's twists, it's sometimes even cliche and cheesy. The story isn't so impacting, ending with a predictable conclusion.
    Despite it's numerous disappointments, it's
    Despite it's numerous disappointments, it's still a very enjoyable and tensional film. (Final Score: 7.10)
  36. Oct 5, 2013
    The first one and a half hour was a roller coaster ride. It was splendid. Fighting in South Korea, in the streets of Israel and inside a plane. The climax, unfortunately, dragged the tempo to a halt. Where it was epic in scale before, the movie decided to draw inward and concern itself with a petty WHO facility. That wasn't a very important event in the face of the worldwide pandemic. ItThe first one and a half hour was a roller coaster ride. It was splendid. Fighting in South Korea, in the streets of Israel and inside a plane. The climax, unfortunately, dragged the tempo to a halt. Where it was epic in scale before, the movie decided to draw inward and concern itself with a petty WHO facility. That wasn't a very important event in the face of the worldwide pandemic. It should have been resolved quickly and the scope once again returned to epic. That event, even if it was very difficult to resolve, was not worthy of the climax and should have not been afforded more than ten minutes. The climax should have been something more in tune with what had happened before it. The production values are of course brilliant and it shows. The zombies, in my opinion, have not been done better than this. Brad Pitt plays his usual suave self, unflustered by anything going on about. It could have been better. The Israeli actress was a pleasant surprise. She played her character with resolve and skill. Expand
  37. Sep 29, 2013
    I found this movie very enjoyable. I was nervous it was going to be like any other "zombie" movie, kind of like the Vampire fad had gotten really played out, but it wasn't anything like that. Honestly who gives a crap if it was nothing like the book. I haven't read the book, nor do I plan too. Reading is just not enjoyable for me. Only giving it a 9 because I am hoping they make a sequel.
  38. Sep 27, 2013
    World War Z has a pretty good story, the way the infection starts and how they get rid of the infection. I did not like brad pitt in this movie, during the whole movie he had a look on his face like if he was bored or something.
  39. Sep 27, 2013
    A surprisingly realistic take on the zombie movie genre. The plot is smart and the information it presents is plausible. Characters act like real people and make intelligent decisions quickly and when their back is against the wall. Also the acting is superb. Surprisingly this is a zombie movie that shy's away from blood and gore by hiding the bloodier moments just off screen. This movieA surprisingly realistic take on the zombie movie genre. The plot is smart and the information it presents is plausible. Characters act like real people and make intelligent decisions quickly and when their back is against the wall. Also the acting is superb. Surprisingly this is a zombie movie that shy's away from blood and gore by hiding the bloodier moments just off screen. This movie is tense, exciting, and most importantly smart. If the zombie apocalypse does happen it will be a lot like this movie. So if you're a zombie fanatic like myself this is a must watch. Expand
  40. Sep 23, 2013
    the new concept of zombies... well at least its virus and lethal. i very much enjoy the movie. cant stop to amaze, no room for rest. brad pitt played very well. and u have to give credit for the "zombies". they look so scary, scarier than residen evil's zombie
  41. Sep 22, 2013
    World War Z must have one of the shortest first acts in film history. The first act, usually the first half hour is generally where the conflict is introduced. This film opens with Gerry Lee, Brad Pitt, a former UN investigator having breakfast with his family. Five minutes later, BAM, zombies. No time is wasted getting straight to the conflict. Begin second act.

The story is not

The story is not complicated: zombies take over the world and Brad Pitt is obliged to save the day. The assault of zombie movies over the past few years has been such an onslaught that by default the genre itself now gives me an automatic feeling of “I don’t care.” World War Z is very much another zombie film, but a damn exciting one. Even the script’s name for becoming a zombie, turning Zeke, is subtlety refreshingly

“It’s not what you say but how you say it.” With cinematic excellence, Director Marc Forster breaths new live into this tired cliché. It’s all in the delivery, and WWZ is all delivery.

As Gerry Lee (Pitt) travels the world trying to solve the mystery behind the infection causing people to turn “Zeke,” the scenes that unfold during his expedition are so exciting that story arc is incidental in comparison. A memorable scene is when a military commander becomes infected. He’s got about ten seconds: “I’m a goddamn Zeke…I got this one boys.” He puts a bullet in this own head

The exotic set designs of the adventurous locales are the highlights of the film. First an adrenaline pumped escape from an infested Philadelphian housing project, then to a US navy ship at sea, then over to a US military base in Korea where a massive fire fight breaks out. Next Lee arrives in Israel where the citizens have protected themselves against the Zekes in a totally ingenious, but vulnerable walled up construction. The set design here is just incredible and when the situation goes awry, and things start blowing up, the visual effects are some of the best around, bar none.
  42. Sep 20, 2013
    Great movie! Maybe is not like the book, but is really funny, creepy (in some moments), cool, the performances are great, the effects WOW amazing. World War Z is one of my favorite movies of this year.
  43. Sep 20, 2013
    Like gold dust, a hefty-invested blockbuster with a problematic partial re-filming (including a complete overhaul of the ending owing to its financial curb) and a procrastinated release date could actually trounce its foreboding karma and pans out to be a competent money-maker in the bloodthirsty summer season, not to mention has earned itself a sensational caption as the highestLike gold dust, a hefty-invested blockbuster with a problematic partial re-filming (including a complete overhaul of the ending owing to its financial curb) and a procrastinated release date could actually trounce its foreboding karma and pans out to be a competent money-maker in the bloodthirsty summer season, not to mention has earned itself a sensational caption as the highest grossing film ever for the mega-star Brad Pitt”.

Directed by Marc Forster (QUANTUM OF SOLACE 2008, 7/10; STRANGER THAN FICTION 2006, 7/10; STAY 2005, 8/10; FINDING NEVERLAND 2004, 7/10; MONSTER’S BALL 2001, 7/10), who is to some extent oscillating between a major company’s hack and an accomplished auteur in the indiewood. WORLD WAR Z craftily grafts mind-blowing visual feasts onto an apocalyptic milieu with rapid-running zombies infected by unknown virus, and keep contaminating the residual humankind. The backstory sounds familiar but film constructs an alternative coda, not the hackneyed one-man-saves-the-world heroism, instead, it offers a more plausible expedient to both avoid the callow overkill and underscore the future with a bleaker hope for the story to continue.

The film never stray from a standard zombiefest routine, but the execution is commendable, an indeed white-knuckle experience from A to Z, the process of this prerogative family’s running away from a zombie-invading Philadelphia has been handled even-handedly, although Pitt’s wife and daughters would only be the burden for his further mission.

Bounding from South Korea to Jerusalem, then a considerably smaller-scaled finale inside a secular lab in Scotland, the film brings us a gripping journey but there is no superhero to save mankind.

In the South Korea chapter, an unexpected self-shooting accident happens out of the left field, in view of the executor’s seemingly essential role as the last straw to stop this mess. This is a wonderful surprise I don’t mind watching more on screens nowadays. Moreover, the treatment of silence is another feat creatively applied here, pretty contrasts to the common hubbub in the action pack, but as a corollary, there will be an inconvenient silence-breaker thanks to the unwitting wife’s timely call, otherwise, the act is too smooth and casualties can never be spared in this case (farewell, James Badge Dale).

However, the pinnacle no doubt should attribute to the raiding of City of David, excellent airborne shots render viewers a stately sacredness to witness the havoc, a sarcastic indication of a rabble of Muslims hymning cheerfully would insanely precipitate zombies to rally outside the bulwarks and eventually break into the city thanks to their umpteen quantities, which is a tad offensive but from the prospect of a non-believer, the irony is a bonanza since we are in desperation for some gallows humor under the circumstances.

Most dissenters would argue the reshoot of the final act (an original plan includes a massive combat sets in Moscow) is a letdown simply because it is not epic enough to culminate the prescribed “the bigger the better” adrenaline drive, nevertheless, this thriftier approach options a no-gut-no-glory scheme which turns out to be a fairly conducted indoor thriller, and one can even laugh about the ostentatious plugging of the beverage company during the revelational discovery. The cast is inherently viable, Pitt underplays his charisma to be more approachable, it is rather comforting to see Enos clench a major film role and she could have been a better fighter than her screen hubby.

In a nutshell, WORLD WAR Z is an entertaining popcorn fare, and doesn’t try to patronize and outsmart its audience and showboats its CGI stunts to offer a bombarding sense of instantaneous grandiosity, which ultimately will fall bland in aftertaste. This alone can make most tentpoles pale in comparison!
  44. Sep 18, 2013
    I should preface this review by stating that I have not read the novel that this movie is based loosely off of. Therefore, my entire review is ignorant to any source material and is judging the movie as a stand alone film. As far as that goes, I thought this was one of the best zombie films ever made. Yes, it is plagued by the same exaggerations all zombie films suffer from. However, WorldI should preface this review by stating that I have not read the novel that this movie is based loosely off of. Therefore, my entire review is ignorant to any source material and is judging the movie as a stand alone film. As far as that goes, I thought this was one of the best zombie films ever made. Yes, it is plagued by the same exaggerations all zombie films suffer from. However, World War Z is actually a genuinely good movie, zombie nonsense aside. The acting, led by Brad Pitt, is fantastic and the plot develops well. The intensity in the movie starts up right away so there's no lag time to deal with while they develop the setting. The setting is already familiar... it's America today. The discovery of the zombie outbreak is part of the joy in watching the film and the initial sequence where you're first introduced to the situation is one of the most intense segments in recent memory. The action itself feels very realistic, aside from the aforementioned exaggerations that is. Pitt isn't made out to be some superhero or anything so he feel real too. The only real flaws for me were the exaggerations and that the ending felt like it was rushed. The entire two hours builds to this culmination that just ends right away and doesn't give you much closure. I suppose they were going for that with how they set the scene in the closing moments but from a viewer's perspective, I would've liked it a bit differently. Overall though, this is a great movie that most people will almost certainly enjoy. Expand
  45. Sep 17, 2013
    Director Marc Forster is to be congratulated for a well done zombie apocalypse movie that never lagged and kept me entertained the whole time. Now, only if it had followed the book even one small bit, would this movie have worked perfectly. But, the book's storyline wasn't one to be made into a movie of this caliber, so basically Forster is between a rock and a hard place with this one.
  46. Sep 14, 2013
    Ive didnt watch this on theater due to bad reviews; I was stupid! this movie has everything going for a Zombie movie; and it's not afraid to use the Z world like they do nowadays. Don't know if the cut on bluray is very different from theaters, but it was thrilling from beggining to end. Great job too from mr. Pitt.
  47. Sep 12, 2013
    I originally had low expectations for this movie (even as a huge fan of
    the Walking Dead, I'm feeling "zombie-fatigued"). But the idea that
    zombies are both fast and "swarm" (like ants crawling on top of each other) to climb a huge wall is a unique twist that could make this movie fun to watch (written May 2013). And it ended up being a blast. It introduced an original story-line to
    I originally had low expectations for this movie (even as a huge fan of
    the Walking Dead, I'm feeling "zombie-fatigued"). But the idea that
    zombies are both fast and "swarm" (like ants crawling on top of each
    other) to climb a huge wall is a unique twist that could make this
    movie fun to watch (written May 2013).

And it ended up being a blast. It introduced an original story-line to
    the zombie-apocalypse genre. First, an origin to why the zombie plague
    started. Second, the potential for a cure? And lastly, Brad Pitt as the
    best dad/survivalist ever. If I had to pick my team to battle the
    zombie apocalypse, I'd want Brad on my team, no matter that he is 20
    times more handsome than me. (written July 2013)

After-note: If you saw the movie, don't read the book. In this rare
    case, the book falls short of the movie. The book is told in
    "documentary-style" based on memos etc. that recall the events "after"
    World War Z. The movie tells it in real-time which is how it should be
    experienced.
  48. Sep 12, 2013
    This is the best movie that i watched for my life. I love Brad Pitt and those zombies. This movie is really nice: a little bit funny, interesting, really nice action.
  49. Sep 12, 2013
    First off, I did not read the book. It seems that most people who have, hated the movie. Me? I went in to it thinking it would be just like the rest of the zombie flicks, and I already have zombie burnout. But, low and behold Pitt fits the role perfectly, a baddass, but also an every-man who takes us through both well done suspense and outrageous action. The plot has a couple weak spots,First off, I did not read the book. It seems that most people who have, hated the movie. Me? I went in to it thinking it would be just like the rest of the zombie flicks, and I already have zombie burnout. But, low and behold Pitt fits the role perfectly, a baddass, but also an every-man who takes us through both well done suspense and outrageous action. The plot has a couple weak spots, yes, but as far as big action movie plots these days go, it's above average, and not a total slap in the face like many movies are. It's a popcorn munching thrill ride, and one of the better "overall experience" movies I've seen all year. That said, don't expect too much, because that always ruins it lol. Expand
  50. Sep 11, 2013
    Love this movie so much Love this movie so much Love this movie so much Love this movie so much Love this movie so much Love this movie so much Love this movie so much Love this movie so much
  51. Sep 11, 2013
    When you watch this film, don't expect the book. They've had to adapt it to the hollywood screen and I feel it's a fantastic adaption. The story is told at a good pace, with really solid acting throughout especially from Brad Pitt. It's mostly an action film, with occasional moments of gore and horror. But all in all, an entertaining film well worth a watch.
  52. Sep 8, 2013
    Must watch for all zombie movie fans.
    A surprisingly intense movie. Awesome acting by Brad Pitt.
    Did not have much expectation,pleasantly surprised.Bring on the sequel.
  53. Sep 6, 2013
    World War Z is a very good Action, Horror movie because it brings out all the horror and action you can get, in some parts it's very gory bust mostly action love this movie I think it's a little bit underrated.
  54. Sep 6, 2013
    It really is a thriller because it keeps you on the edge of your seat when the action starts. Although it has recycled about 100 times plot. It starts like many other apocalypse movies with a family and you just wait until the movie turns into a babysitting for the protagonists kids and listening to their boring problems so that you can turn the movie off and go do something else. ThatIt really is a thriller because it keeps you on the edge of your seat when the action starts. Although it has recycled about 100 times plot. It starts like many other apocalypse movies with a family and you just wait until the movie turns into a babysitting for the protagonists kids and listening to their boring problems so that you can turn the movie off and go do something else. That isn't the case here. There are lot of change of scenery where the action takes place, the CGI is excellent and one more thing: humans finally get to win the zombie apocalypse which is a nice change. Expand
  55. Sep 5, 2013
    Started as mundane zombie movies, but the banality was removed at the end with a message. Generally, a movie is supposed to supply a good message and i believe this one did it pretty well "fight if you can, help each other, be prepared for anything". A good one to watch.
  56. Sep 5, 2013
    I read the book, and yes the movie isn't exactly like it.

Now that we got past the obvious... While the movie is not exactly like the book and clearly been redone for a movie it does follow the same premise of a journalist type guy trying to piece together and find out what happened to cause zombies. The book is really good, so if you liked the movie go read it. The movie itself
    I read the book, and yes the movie isn't exactly like it.

Now that we got past the obvious...

The movie itself starts really bad and is all about annoying kids, then once Brad Pitt gets separated it gets good. If you like zombie type movies you'll like it.
  57. Sep 3, 2013
    It's not a game changer in the zombie genre, but with a strong performance like always from Brad Pitt and just enough nuanced differences from its predecessors World War Z is just a fun time. B+
  58. Sep 3, 2013
    When Romero made Night of the Living Dead in 1968, he introduced a horror that was akin to the haunted house of a theme park. Zombies were a slow, marauding, creeping dread. When his movies were remade in the 90's and 00's, the dread of the haunted house was replaced by the adrenaline rush of a roller coaster ride. Suddenly zombies were fast. Critical scholars might point to theWhen Romero made Night of the Living Dead in 1968, he introduced a horror that was akin to the haunted house of a theme park. Zombies were a slow, marauding, creeping dread. When his movies were remade in the 90's and 00's, the dread of the haunted house was replaced by the adrenaline rush of a roller coaster ride. Suddenly zombies were fast. Critical scholars might point to the exponentially quickening feeling of society and its developments and problems leading to the shift. On television people are bombarded by endless waves of information and propaganda, tickers scroll by in all corners saying this or that. We've become conditioned to need things to be moving fast, lots of moving and shiny parts, to be appealing on a large scale. I can't think of a movie in recent years that has done this part better than World War Z. Its special effects are almost flawless, we see zombies behaving as a hive species, using their bodies to create more efficient means of transportation, much like ants do. The technical achievement is stunning, as are the visions of a world thrown into explosive chaos. My eyes darted around the screen constantly, trying to process as much that was going on as possible. The sheer pace of the movie never allowed my adrenaline to completely drop. This was a roller coaster ride. I'm actually surprised it didn't garner an 'R' rating it's a very aggressive, shocking movie in parts and although it spares the gallons of blood seen in its counterparts, scenes of people being smashed under cars, having an arm cut off, yanking teeth out I guess I just find it humorous and telling that a movie with a few boobs would get an R, while this stayed at PG13. Anyway, that's an aside. It's a good movie, a total popcorn flick. Pitt is okay (I never really think Pitt is anything better than okay, for an example of why I think he'll never be a 'good' actor just see his reaction to his daughter at the beginning when she asks him what 'martial law' means). But he's eye candy and he does carry the movie with a certain soulful charm. Direction, great set pieces phenomenal, action almost unprecedented. Which brings me to story. Despite liking this movie quite a bit, it bears no real resemblance to Max Brook's infinitely superior book of the same title. An indie movie like 'The Bay' did a better job of segmenting contributing storylines into a coherent whole, and I would have loved to have seen a more literal interpretation of Brooks' book. I think they could have done wonders with it and truly made the zombie movie of zombie movies. Instead, they went a different route, opting against the slow dreadful creeping global menace, captured by individual stories of survival and, well, they went for the rollercoaster. They manage to have Pitt globetrotting, so they do capture the 'flavor' of different regions of the world, but in the movie it's really all one flavor, while the book had very different 'feeling' settings, accentuated by interesting cultural-specific nuances and behaviors. That's what made the concept work for me, and they didn't pull it over into the filmed version. Had they called this movie something else, I would have been more impressed, because the remaining links to the book are mere strands. Plus, I'll personally always be more frightened of the menacing dread of a lumbering zombie, to the adrenaline rush of a fast one. So this movie is a mixed bag. It's a good action flick, it'll keep you glued to your seat, and you'll feel you got your money's worth. It's a decent addition to the zombie genre turning zombies into swarm predators isn't new but it's never been done on this scale or with this much style. But as an interpretation of Brooks' book, it's pretty sad. I can't imagine the author is happy with where this went. The masses will love it, fans of the original will wonder what happened to their book. The absolutely blatant foreshadowing of sequels means Brooks' already-classic zombie yarn will likely continue to be raped for years to come. I will be in the front row, and moaning the whole time while I get my guilty jollies. Expand
  59. Aug 25, 2013
    This movie is great! quit downvoting this movie just because it isn't just like the book. movies based on books are almost always different than the book. (this is supposedly part one of three so quit complaining. you probably will get your battle of yonkers in part 2 or 3)
  60. Aug 25, 2013
    A very good zombie movie. A little bit underrated. For me it's a very good movie with very beautiful soundtracks by Marco Beltrami. The most important is that it's not a scary movie but a very good adventure movie. Brad Pitt was amazing at his role. Watch this film and have fun!!
  61. Aug 16, 2013
    I'm surprised this movie got a 6.8 out of 10. I find this movie amazing, easily in my top 5 list. Although some people get old of the idea of zombie, I love it. 10/10
  62. Aug 16, 2013
    Based on it's trailer, I went into WWZ expecting a ton of eye candy and splatter, that's it. Thank God I was completely wrong as this brilliant film turned out to be the biggest and best cinematic surprise of '13! It is full of substance, storytelling, edge of your seat moments with the script and the zombies stealing the show. The undead actors deserve Oscars as I've yet to be thisBased on it's trailer, I went into WWZ expecting a ton of eye candy and splatter, that's it. Thank God I was completely wrong as this brilliant film turned out to be the biggest and best cinematic surprise of '13! It is full of substance, storytelling, edge of your seat moments with the script and the zombies stealing the show. The undead actors deserve Oscars as I've yet to be this terrified in a film of this genre. Yes, the epic images from it's trailer do contribute to it's wowfactor however it is WWZ' s ddelivery and anti-heroes that make this film shine. I adored this movie so much that I saw it again the next day and read the book. Do yourself a favor, let go of any preconceived notions and see this on the big screen while you still can. After that, you'll be reading the book in no time. Expand
  63. Aug 13, 2013
    That's not horror- I get scared easily and that movie didn't frightened me at all. To be honest, some zombie models appear to be more funny than disgusting. However, it's good action movie. I'm not fan of Brad Pitt, yet I think he managed to make a convincing appearance as retired UN agent. Huge variety of locations (e.g. Korea, Izrael) make it a bit more interesting. It's not perfect orThat's not horror- I get scared easily and that movie didn't frightened me at all. To be honest, some zombie models appear to be more funny than disgusting. However, it's good action movie. I'm not fan of Brad Pitt, yet I think he managed to make a convincing appearance as retired UN agent. Huge variety of locations (e.g. Korea, Izrael) make it a bit more interesting. It's not perfect or very good- but you won't regret watching it. Expand
  64. Aug 12, 2013
    This a good movie not great not amazing but good, the reason is, the story is freaking I know its supposed to be an action thriller but besides Pitts character I honestly don't give 2 ****s if anyone else dies. This also barely shows any gore given its PG 13 this movie could have been better had it been something like R rated, though PG 13 does do better money wise so I understand theThis a good movie not great not amazing but good, the reason is, the story is freaking I know its supposed to be an action thriller but besides Pitts character I honestly don't give 2 ****s if anyone else dies. This also barely shows any gore given its PG 13 this movie could have been better had it been something like R rated, though PG 13 does do better money wise so I understand the need, but besides that you should watch it. Its suspenceful, fun, and overall a quality movie Expand
  65. Aug 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although the ending resembles other movies with hollywood cheese, the movie has a great word from the cast, awesome premise, and very intense and fun scenes. Expand
  66. Aug 10, 2013
    One of the best zombie movies ever.The graphics are cool,the actions are awesome too,but the story not so much.The only problem in this movie is that the story of this movie in really not interesting.I mean can you explain the story of this movie.Of course not.And some parts of the movie is boring.It only gets awesome and interesting when the zombies start going all up on the walls likeOne of the best zombie movies ever.The graphics are cool,the actions are awesome too,but the story not so much.The only problem in this movie is that the story of this movie in really not interesting.I mean can you explain the story of this movie.Of course not.And some parts of the movie is boring.It only gets awesome and interesting when the zombies start going all up on the walls like ants.When that part happened I was thinking that it was starting to get better.But after that part it started to get boring again.But still because of that part when the zombies start going up like ants and attacking the people inside the wall I will give this movie a score of 7/10 because that part is absolutely awesome. Expand
  67. Aug 4, 2013
    World war z was a pleasant surprise i loved it. the only thing i would take away points for is it was not a rated R film. For me it was one of the best releases of the year so far to this date. Great story and action.
  68. Jul 27, 2013
    Herewith, my first "anti Slant" review. I'm doing this because I'm tired of reading their sometimes-juvenile, sometimes-pretentious and often wrong-headed movie reviews. (And, while I'm at it: who the heck is "Slant", anyway? And why does Metacritic even allow them to weigh in on films?)

As for World War Z, it's a decent action movie... and a terrific summer one. For those of you who appreciated "Contagion", but like a bit more violence, then this is for you. Actually, that's somewhat tongue-in-cheek, because for a "zombie movie" there's not that much glorying in gore. We care about the characters and we care how the movie ends, which is more than one can say about much summer fare.
  69. Jul 27, 2013
    Zombie's were well-depicted and the movie managed to create a good level of suspense. it did it's job as far as zombie movies goes but doesn't have anything extra to bump it up to a 9 or 10, as characters were generally generic and boring.
  70. Jul 26, 2013
    This feels like a good (not great) movie with some brilliant scenes (especially the opening ones and the exit from Jerusalem), a cohesive story line, and characters with actual emotional pull. It is not preachy, it is not a slave to special effects, and it does not drag. However, nothing in the movie is really spectacular enough to make this a must-see movie. I'd recommend watching it,This feels like a good (not great) movie with some brilliant scenes (especially the opening ones and the exit from Jerusalem), a cohesive story line, and characters with actual emotional pull. It is not preachy, it is not a slave to special effects, and it does not drag. However, nothing in the movie is really spectacular enough to make this a must-see movie. I'd recommend watching it, but I wouldn't cancel existing plans to do so. Expand
  71. Jul 21, 2013
    My new favorite zombie/infected movie of all time, and quite possibly my favorite movie of the year thus far. Yes I went into this movie expecting it to be like the book, but once I dropped that and took it as a standalone feature, the plot still had me on the edge of my seat. It has all you can want in a movie and more!
  72. Jul 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. world war z is far from a faithful retelling of the book the only thing they share is the title Israel and the patient zero idea but that does not mean it's a bad film. the story basically consists of Brad Pitts character traveling to different country's around the world looking for answers to where the outbreak began and how to stop it. He goes to one place it all goes wrong he escapes and that is basically the film so it gets repetitive. Despite this the mass amounts of zombies and chaos is fun to watch and means you sort of forget about the repetitive nature of the story. Towards the end the film goes for a more calm suspenseful take which kind of makes it feel disconnected from the rest of the film but it still works. The idea that to make our troops invisible to the zombies by giving them a disease is interesting but I question how effective it would be i mean you cant expect an army of sick soldiers to fight the zombies it will be interesting to see how the idea works in the sequel. the ending is a bit abrupt but it works. Overall this is a great movie and defiantly worth a watch. Expand
  73. Jul 19, 2013
    If Left 4 Dead had a movie, World War Z is the prequel in the military government view of a zombie scenario. Forget about the name, The famous World War Z book.
  74. Jul 15, 2013
    For those of you who are looking for your "traditional zombie film" you will be disappointed. There are maybe 20 or so minutes of good old zombie movie at the start of the film. And they are much diminished by Brad Pitt having to drag his wife and daughters around. The rest of the film is about trying to figure a mystery out as the world goes to hell. While people are being bitten byFor those of you who are looking for your "traditional zombie film" you will be disappointed. There are maybe 20 or so minutes of good old zombie movie at the start of the film. And they are much diminished by Brad Pitt having to drag his wife and daughters around. The rest of the film is about trying to figure a mystery out as the world goes to hell. While people are being bitten by zombies left and right. (These zombies want to bite everybody but don't seem ever to feed) Was the answer complex? No. Were some scenes riding the edge of unbelievable. Definitely! But it adds up to a good logically assembled film.
    Even the wife character, despite her being an annoying lead weight onscreen, helps serve to reel you back in. You look at anything too long you get desensitized to it. Interspersing his annoying wife on that ship helps make the scenes with Brad Pitt and people dying more powerful.

Is this movie going to win a major award? Probably not. But it is a good innovation on a franchise where it seems like everything has been done to death (has that zombie romantic comedy come out yet?)
  75. Jul 12, 2013
    Despite its mixed reviews, I went to see World War Z with no expectations, and was very pleasantly surprised. Interesting and clever, I can't think of any dull moment throughout.

I would guess that a lot of the disappointment comes from the relative lack of gore. The are plenty of scares, but they are the occasional jump scare and well-executed suspense, not grisly disembowelment and macabre set pieces.

There are a lot of comments that World War Z doesn't fare well as a zombie film, and I'd agree but with the caveat that it really isn't one. This is a thoughtful outbreak film, more along the lines of Contagion than visceral Romero massacre porn. Not to say that it's purely cerebral no excuse for apocalyptic carnage is passed up, with excellently executed special effects and a shocking explosion at least every twenty minutes, guaranteed.

It's not perfect I have to concede that the ending feels abrupt (although it came exactly when I was ready for it). Nevertheless I'd thoroughly recommend World War Z as a very entertaining and slightly brainier than average action contagion movie. NOT as a zombie flick.
  76. Rem
    Jul 12, 2013
    Thrilling, exciting, and grand scale moments really sell the movie, however, some hamfisted storytelling and the fact that I didn't care about the main character's family shows how much they wanted an emotional experience. The scenario is more dire than ever and the zombies in this film are amazingly animated. It could have been more if it gave a more meaningful goal at the start. TheThrilling, exciting, and grand scale moments really sell the movie, however, some hamfisted storytelling and the fact that I didn't care about the main character's family shows how much they wanted an emotional experience. The scenario is more dire than ever and the zombies in this film are amazingly animated. It could have been more if it gave a more meaningful goal at the start. The ending though I have to say is an impressive one, and one of the more powerful scenes I have seen this year. Expand
  77. Jul 11, 2013
    I thought that this was overall, a good and decent movie. I was really entertained with all the shootouts and intense scenes with the zombies. Brad Pitt plays the main character and he does a really good job with his character. His character was the only character that was interesting, some of the characters didn't evolve or lacked development throughout the whole movie. Their were a lotI thought that this was overall, a good and decent movie. I was really entertained with all the shootouts and intense scenes with the zombies. Brad Pitt plays the main character and he does a really good job with his character. His character was the only character that was interesting, some of the characters didn't evolve or lacked development throughout the whole movie. Their were a lot of cool scenes from the movie, like where the zombies were climbing on the barricade, all this scenes were cool and big, but their was this intense where Brad Pitt and his companions were trying to sneak past zombies without tracking any attention, for me they could've showed us more of that scene throughout the whole movie. Sometimes the movie lacks an identity, sometimes it's action-packed and sometimes it's horror, but it's just a little gripe that didn't affect the movie experience. Some people didn't like the ending, because for them it was a bit rushed, for some reasons I agree on that statement but for me it was a decent ending World War Z is decent zombie movie and I am going to give it a 7/10. Expand
  78. Jul 11, 2013
    Accion que no deja que los que suelen dormir en los cines no duerman, es una película con sentido de lo que solian ser los zombies en las diferentes peliculas se encuentran y se matan, una buena pelicula y deja algo que pensar al fin de todo
  79. Jul 11, 2013
    From someone who hasn't read the book to this movie i really enjoyed it. Id highly recommend this movie to my friends.
    Its full of action and suspense.
  80. Jul 10, 2013
    World War Z is the "Zombie" movie I have been waiting for since the 28 Days/Weeks later series. It is a very good film, for those wanting to avoid CGI focused films, I am not saying avoid this one but most of its best scenes involve hundreds to thousands of "Zombies" at once in incredible CGI.I saw this movie in 3D and I liked it, I have not seen many very good 3D films but this filmWorld War Z is the "Zombie" movie I have been waiting for since the 28 Days/Weeks later series. It is a very good film, for those wanting to avoid CGI focused films, I am not saying avoid this one but most of its best scenes involve hundreds to thousands of "Zombies" at once in incredible CGI.I saw this movie in 3D and I liked it, I have not seen many very good 3D films but this film looked great in 3D. The story is average and thats why it does not get a higher score.However its the action in this film that brings the score right on up as it is fantastic. It is also nice to see Brad Pitt again in a big role and I am happy to say he was brilliant in this film. Expand
  81. Jul 9, 2013
    Based on the book by Max Brooks, World War Z tells the story of a zombie outbreak and a fathers quest to keep his family safe. The film ultimately thrives thanks to director Marc Forster's grasp of tension and wonder and how to bring them both out simultaneously in his shots. The film follows Gerry Lane (Brad Pitt), a stay at home father who was a UN investigator before his kids were born.Based on the book by Max Brooks, World War Z tells the story of a zombie outbreak and a fathers quest to keep his family safe. The film ultimately thrives thanks to director Marc Forster's grasp of tension and wonder and how to bring them both out simultaneously in his shots. The film follows Gerry Lane (Brad Pitt), a stay at home father who was a UN investigator before his kids were born. When an outbreak occurs, Gerry is sent to discover the source of the outbreak, patient zero, which sends him all over the world as he tries to find a way to save humanity and by extension, his family. World War Z really does feel like 2 films due to its highly publicized re-shoots. There are famous actors (Matthew Fox) reduced to bit parts thanks to story retooling, differences in dialogue from the trailers, World War Z just shifts about halfway through the film from political thriller to all out thriller. The overpowering politics of the first half effectively vanish in the new material in favour of a tense final set piece that is incredibly well made. That doesn't mean the first half is bad, in fact World War Z is smart, cleverly constructed and well filmed. The script however is cliche ridden in the first act of the film with the outbreak being unique but often times sullied by cheesy dialogue or unclear action set pieces (a particular scene on a apartment block staircase is really hard to watch). Pitt makes Gerry a likeable lead but at times it comes across as slightly unbelievable, his ability to escape situations even the strongest people couldn't. The film lacks the feel of an apocalyptic event at times as the film is restricted by its 12A rating but it doesn't take much away from the experience. To be honest, this is a zombie apocalypse I will happily watch again. Expand
  82. Jul 8, 2013
    World War Z is, despite dull moments and being uneven sometimes, it is thought provoking, intense and a powerful movie about the collapse of humanity. World War Z has a great action build up and a clever plot that will stay with you for some time. The acting is first rate and truthful with some dazzling visuals and practical effects. World War Z has good editing and a great directing.World War Z is, despite dull moments and being uneven sometimes, it is thought provoking, intense and a powerful movie about the collapse of humanity. World War Z has a great action build up and a clever plot that will stay with you for some time. The acting is first rate and truthful with some dazzling visuals and practical effects. World War Z has good editing and a great directing. Watch it as soon as possible and often you get some good "end of the world" movie type. Expand
  83. Jul 7, 2013
    World War Z is a fast paced, well acted zombie movie that doesn't present any flashy new concepts but yet executes their idea of an apocalypse nicely. Believable characters and an emphasis on zombie logic (phone books taped to forearms) place this movie as an above average zombie film.
  84. Jul 7, 2013
    As an action film, World War Z is a great film! It is an exciting film filled with loads of action and very few boring scenes. It is no similarity between the movie and the book, but it is still a great movie. It is a must-see!
  85. Jul 7, 2013
    For a film that clearly had trouble during production, and also completely disregarded the novel it's based on, World War Z is a surprise, mild success.

I would suppose the general luke-warm response from the average movie goer is largely based on their expectations. Those wishing for an all-out zombie shoot em up will find themselves, quite rightly, disappointed. Yet, at the same time, those expecting the intelligence and deep insight from the novel will also be disappointed.

Ignoring the fact that it would near impossible to film World War Z:The novel, the writers obviously went for their own standalone story, minutely based within the WWZ world.

And as a standalone movie, it fares well. There is enough general scope of the apocalypse, and it is clear they wanted to depict some of the thoughts and actions described in Max Brooks' novel. Brad Pitt is as bearable as ever as the lead and manages to divert attention away from the generally bored-looking support cast.

Where the movie falls short, then, is there just isn't enough quality of any particular subject matter. The effects and portrayal of the apocalypse on hand pale in comparison to something like The Road, influenced and written by Cormac McCarthy. The zombie lore is considerably weak, and the ending solution has very little if anything to do with the world the film is allegedly based within. And the ending was admittedly drawn out and yawn inducing.
  86. Jul 7, 2013
    Certainly the best zombie apocalyptic movie I have ever seen! Kept me on the edge of my seat for the entire movie. Great story, and plot. Definitely worth watching at your local theatre!
  87. Jul 6, 2013
    Smart, immensely entertaining and terrifying to the bone. World War Z is what summer blockbusters should be, limited but intense action with a good story. You probably won't see a better action film this year.
  88. Jul 5, 2013
    This is like missing start episode of walking dead.Nice scientific thriller with awesome 3D effects,Can't wait till the sequence out.Story flows so fast so the viewer may not get chance to even blink.
  89. Jul 5, 2013
    For some parts of this movie, I was actually on the edge of my seat and found it rather thrilling. Brad Pitt is good and the others act decently enough, though the backgrounds of the characters aren't really explained thoroughly enough to make an impression, at least for me. The zombies are pretty cool, and scary to think about fast, strong, and more violent.

The lack of much blood and

The lack of much blood and gore is a disappointment, to be sure, but it still had some decent action scenes. There were several rather questionable parts where there was either a lack of logic or a big leap in it.

A decent movie.
  90. Jul 5, 2013
    Not sure why this movie is getting somewhat mixed reviews from fans. I thought they did a solid job with the CG for the massive hordes of zombies. I do have a few gripes, though. The movie is not particularly scary, the opening scene of the movie has way too much shaky cam, and Brad Pitt isn't giving it his all throughout the entire film. Still, it's a solid thriller.
  91. Jul 5, 2013
    I loved this movie. The action takes right off 5 minutes in and doesn't stop. Brad, as well as the other actors, do a fantastic job. I'm hoping they do a sequel.
  92. Jul 4, 2013
    World War Z is a movie that (thankfully) got to the action parts of the movie very close to the beginning and at the same time got you very informed as to what was going on. This movie let other subjects and problems intervene into the story but unlike many other zombie movies, managed to not let the fact that there was a giant zombie invasion turn into a minority.
  93. Jul 4, 2013
    World War Z has a familiar feel to it considering all the zombie and apocalyptic movies that have been coming out lately, but it is certainly among the best of those movies. I was on the edge of my seat for pretty much the whole movie and I liked how they wasted no time before starting the action. If I was to complain about anything it probably be the ending where it seemed like they wereWorld War Z has a familiar feel to it considering all the zombie and apocalyptic movies that have been coming out lately, but it is certainly among the best of those movies. I was on the edge of my seat for pretty much the whole movie and I liked how they wasted no time before starting the action. If I was to complain about anything it probably be the ending where it seemed like they were setting the stage for a sequel. Expand
  94. Jul 3, 2013
    Stand alone it was a great movie. Having read the book however I think they should have changed the title to avoid false expectations, after all only a few details went along with the book. If you have read the book DON'T go in expecting Max Brooks brilliance, but don't worry you will enjoy it. Frankly I am kinda happy they didn't do Yonkers I don't believe Hollywood would have been ableStand alone it was a great movie. Having read the book however I think they should have changed the title to avoid false expectations, after all only a few details went along with the book. If you have read the book DON'T go in expecting Max Brooks brilliance, but don't worry you will enjoy it. Frankly I am kinda happy they didn't do Yonkers I don't believe Hollywood would have been able to do it justice, crazy high budget or not. Brad Pitt was excellent for the non book roll they made for him. Expand
  95. Jul 3, 2013
    This is a good zombie movie Close to the universe of Brooks' books The film starts immediately and is rhythmed all long. The only drawbacks I can see are an "americanized" movie a bit caricatural and an ending a bit quick But it doesn't affect at all the fact that this movie is a great movie !

I recommend it
  96. Jul 2, 2013
    Big summer blockbuster, just what I want out of a movie. Big star, big budget, no extremely evident political statement being made, just entertainment. Was a little disheartened by the way it slowed down once they started looking for a cure, but still worth seeing in the theater. Probably the best movie I've seen this year. Not too violent for ten and up. No sex, very little cursingBig summer blockbuster, just what I want out of a movie. Big star, big budget, no extremely evident political statement being made, just entertainment. Was a little disheartened by the way it slowed down once they started looking for a cure, but still worth seeing in the theater. Probably the best movie I've seen this year. Not too violent for ten and up. No sex, very little cursing (I have to add these things since I'm a parent). Go see it. Expand
  97. Jul 2, 2013
    In my opinion this movie was awesome.It was no where near perfect,but it was fun and had me engaged the whole time.The story was amazing,but it had its fun and tense moments.Especially the first days after the outbreak and the final hallway scene.Actually any moment that involved infected was tense and fun.I really enjoyed this movie and i recomend it to any zombie fan.
  98. Jul 2, 2013
    I gave World War Z 7 stars because it was a great zombie action movie. There could have been more action because most of the time they were running from there lives to try to find a place to hide.
  99. Jul 2, 2013
    To start off by saying that the movie was absolutely amazing. For once the zombies looked real it followed the story of the book well and had good characters. One complaint of mine about the movie was that they made it a bit difficult to follow because of skipping days and time. Another complaint is that they tried too hard to advertise company's like Pepsi and certain cars. Other thanTo start off by saying that the movie was absolutely amazing. For once the zombies looked real it followed the story of the book well and had good characters. One complaint of mine about the movie was that they made it a bit difficult to follow because of skipping days and time. Another complaint is that they tried too hard to advertise company's like Pepsi and certain cars. Other than that the movie was top notch. Expand
  100. Jul 2, 2013
    "World War Z" is a post apocalyptic zombie film, but unlike other zombie based shows/movies/games, these zombies are super fast, super strong, and super dangerous. The film tackles themes of survival and the camaraderie of others in troubled times. It’s a movie that feels very much like a big budget summer blockbuster, but it doesn’t lack any depth. The director, Marc Forster, does a great"World War Z" is a post apocalyptic zombie film, but unlike other zombie based shows/movies/games, these zombies are super fast, super strong, and super dangerous. The film tackles themes of survival and the camaraderie of others in troubled times. It’s a movie that feels very much like a big budget summer blockbuster, but it doesn’t lack any depth. The director, Marc Forster, does a great job of creating tension and an ambiance where danger is lurking in every corner. There are some really nice slow points in the film, where we can feel for the characters and sympathize with their situation, that build towards a heart pounding action sequence. I really enjoy how this film sort of throws us into the fray instead of slowly building up to the threat. It really shows how fast this disease and threat is really spreading. This bumps up the tension and the stakes.

The actors do a good job of bringing to life these interesting characters. Brad Pitt, while not his best performance, really makes Gerry into a relatable character. He’s a family man that is well equipped with survival knowledge and tenderness to make others feel safe. Daniella Kertesz is a real standout as Segen. She plays a Israeli soldier that helps Gerry through his journey. She’s strong, confident, and able to hold her own, while keeping Gerry safe. The rest of the cast is in the film for a short amount of time, but serve their roles well. Some characters can be unintentionally annoying, mainly Gerry’s youngest daughter, but luckily they’re not in it for very long. The zombies are extremely scary and dangerous. There make-up is well done and they’re not like any other zombies that I’ve seen.

Overall “World War Z" is an extremely entertaining and well made film. It is both fun, action packed, and well worth your time. The score is one of the best I’ve heard all year. It is epic, quiet when needed, and really puts us on the edge of our seats. It has interesting characters and a great story about survival with a goal that doesn’t become some aimless expedition. I give it 4.5/5, a big budget summer movie that not only delivers on thrills, but also is packed with depth.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 29, 2013
    World War Z is the most gratifying action spectacle in years, and one reason for its success if the Pitt doesn't play a superhero. [1 July 2013, p.76]
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Jun 21, 2013
    Director Marc Forster is very good at amping up the terror, but after a while, we reach zombie overload and we might as well be watching an infestation of Transformers.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Jun 21, 2013
    Given how efficiently World War Z has delivered jolts and screams over the course of its sleek 116-minute running time, it’s easy to forgive this rushed and slightly muted finale.