8.5

1. Nov 2, 2012
    Best movie I have seen in years. Funny quips, nostalgic video game characters, comedy for young and old, heartfelt story line. This movie has it all. Disney has a real winner on it's hands. I saw the movie 2 months before release and couldn't want to line up at a theater to pay my money to go see it again. This is a movie you will have to get on Blu-Ray and pause just to catch all the hidden "easter eggs' if you will. LIke "No Campers" written in graffiti on the walls or coins coming out of Sonic when he gets bumped into. The very opening scene blows you away when you go from 2D view of the Fix it Felix Jr. game into the 3D immersive world. Ralph is a great hero to root for and Vanellopee is lovable and cute with just the right amount of feisty-ness. Over a great cast, many laughs, and a great ride into the world of video games new and old. Expand
  2. Nov 3, 2012
    If you've read my other reviews, you are probably well aware that I love video games and movies. This movie takes my two favorite things, and throws them into one. Now the question is: does it work? The answer is an absolute YES!!! In fact, this movie is so good, that it is now one of my favorite movies of all time! It is funny, has memorable characters, great animation, and the most original setting in the history of cinema. I really have very little to complain about in this movie. Okay, so there might be one or two little things. For one, there are several video game characters that I wanted to see in this movie, but weren't there (seriously, Disney shows no love to Mario, Link, Samus or any other heroic Nintendo character). Yes they did mention Mario at one point, but that doesn't count. Also, I found the plot to be a little bit unoriginal, and predictable. A super villain who wants to be good? I'm pretty sure that's been done before. It also follows a pattern that I like to call the classic Disney film plot. In other words, if you have seen any other Disney movie, you can probably guess what this movie's plot is like. Despite this, the original setting makes you completely forget about the plot. This really is an excellent movie, and is totally worth watching if you love animation, movies, video games, an original setting, or just want a movie that has quite an adventurous feel behind it. Expand
  3. Nov 2, 2012
    This movie was a fantastic depiction of the lives and coalescence of many nostalgic video games dating back as far as 1981 (Qix), and as recent as today (Sonic, Bowser, etc.). This makes the film recognizable to the rounded ages of four to forty, given times of development. Go see it.
  4. Nov 4, 2012
    If you ask me, this is great enough to be a pixar film. Its the most fun i've had with an animated film since "Toy Story 3". If you were one of many who were dissappointed by "Brave", then check this out. It has the charm and great characters of a Pixar movie, coupled with some great humor that seems to take inspiration from Dreamworks Animation. At first, the title character Ralph seems mean-spirited, but he later turns out to be a great hero. Older viewers will recognize the games shown and feel the nostalgia, and younger viewers will appreciate the colorful animation. But what older and younger viewers can agree on is that Wreck-it Ralph's storytelling and emotion is top notch. Expand
  5. Nov 2, 2012
    I'm a 18 year old dude who only plays Call of Duty and Madden and I loved all the old arcade references in this movie. Despite a slow segment in the start, the film has a bunch of heart, laughs and a decent twist. Much like Shrek with fairy tales, this may be the start of a new franchise with classic characters and new worlds. Great for both kids and adults.
  6. Nov 2, 2012
    At face value, it's an aesthetic sugar rush of humor and excitement through a video-game rendering of "Candy Land". For the adults among us it's a story of identity, and perhaps more importantly, it's a master-class interpretation of the age-old question, "what truly makes a hero?"

You'll laugh, you'll cry -- and if you're like me, your heart will soar before the closing credits.
    Welcome to the Disney family, Ralph. Highly recommended. Expand
  7. Nov 4, 2012
    One of the best Movies I have seen in a long times, especially coming from the Disney Animation studio. If you're a video game fan, prepare to at least see the movie twice, or get it on DVD as it is loaded with cameos and Easter eggs. While the story is Disney typical, it respects the video games and even makes fun of itself in the process yet never straying too far from its roots.

I'm
    going to go see it again. Expand
  8. Nov 23, 2012
    Wreck-It Ralph is not Toy Story but the experience was the same. Video game references, colorful soundtrack and heartwarming story. Damn, it's one of the best animation this year.
  9. Nov 9, 2012
    Saw this movie a week after release with my girlfriend. Us both being gamers and suckers for anything that reminded us of our youth. we saw this movie expecting greatness, and what we got was better then that. If you love video games with a religious passion then this movie will make you cry tears of joy at every moment of it (ad we did). the animation, sound, voice actors and plot are all completely solid. i have no complaints about this movie and would gladly watch it again for double the price. Expand
  10. Aug 7, 2013
    Wreck it Ralph was a huge surprise to me. Not only it has excellent graphics but it is really touching and moving. I don't really watch animation movies but this movie was a simply perfection. I saw Brave too which was good but not as good as wreck-it Ralph. I can't say something about the acting but all this atmosphere of the games and everything in that film made me feel like a little child again. It is one of the best animation movies that I have ever seen and I would recommend it to everyone regardless their age. Should have won that Oscar as it was much much better than Brave A must-watch Expand
  11. Jun 4, 2013
    "Wreck It Ralph is a wonderfully delight, pure imaginative treat. That has set a new bar for Disney films everywhere including PIXAR. It has tons of heart and humor, Without a doubt the best animated film of the year. Maybe even quite possibly a classic." A+
  12. Nov 4, 2013
    A charming, funny, and heart-warming animated movie that acts as a love letter to video games. Honestly it's impressive to see an animated movie this good come from Disney and it not have Pixar's name attached to it. The characters and story are charming, the animation is superb, and the voice acting is excellent. The movie may be about the title character, but it's Sarah Silverman's "Vanellope" that ends up stealing the show.

Kids are going to love this for it's characters, humor, and all around kid friendliness. However adults will love it for the exact same reason, and for it's numerous video game references. Honestly this is an excellent movie for gamers of all ages. It provides an excellent look at the interactive form of entertainment so many of us love. There are also numerous references to popular video games hidden throughout the film, some more subtle than others. This film pleased both the gamer and the movie fan within me.

"Wreck-It-Ralph" is a real treat, and just like the best Pixar movies both kids and adults will love every second of this film. A perfect movie for parents to watch with their kids. Heck it's good enough that parents don't even need their kids to watch this. This is a must watch for gamers alone just for the references hidden throughout. It's nice to see a film that portrays video games, not just as a worthless waste of time, but as a form of entertainment that is filled with characters and stories we can all love. Needless to say I highly recommend this movie.
  13. Jan 25, 2013
    I haven't savoured any animated movies for a while, and I wasn't sure if it was because I was growing up or if they were actually getting worse. Then came this movie, the best animated movie I've seen in a long time. Thanks to some nifty world-building, I fell in love with the video game universe and got nostalgic when watching the video game action scenes, especially those set in Sugar Rush. Sarah Silverman's vocal performance as Vanellope von Schweetz stands as one of the movie's greatest highlights, and the animation and 3D are enticing and colourful. The script and characters are just as smart as some of Pixar's greatest movies, and had they released Wreck-it-Ralph instead of Brave last year, I would've gone as far to say that they made a full recovery from Cars 2. They didn't unfortunately, but Wreck-it-Ralph still emerges as the Toy Story of a new generation and I'd love to see how it'll play out as a franchise. Expand
  14. Feb 3, 2013
    Wreck-It-Ralph is hilarious, smart, heartwarming, and manages to bring you into a fantastic world. It features great voice acting and clever jokes for all ages. I give this film 96%.
  15. Nov 4, 2012
    WOW!, Wreck-It Ralph is one of the most amazing movies that I have the oportunity to watch this year. The story can sounds simple, but the magic of the movie start when you watching the cameos of all the famous characters that we know. The animation is really incredible, is like watch much movies in one. The screenplay can be the weak point of the movie, but don't have much importance when you watch a funny show, and Wreck-It Ralph is one of the most funny "shows" of this year. Amazing movie. Expand
  16. Nov 3, 2012
    anyone around the age of 10 to 30 years old will enjoy this movie. Even though it has it's childish jokes, there are some references to some retro games that are just AMAZING, I was laughing for so long and never actually thought anyone would do something like it.
    May not be a masterpiece, but it's a damn fine movie wort watching if you're a gamer
  17. Jan 23, 2013
    The reason that I orignally wanted to see this movie, was because it was about video game characters in a games arcade and it featured many cameos from famous game icons. After seeing this film, I can say that it had all of that and more. Having 'Sonic the Hedgehog' appear more than three times in a movie already makes it awesome for me and there's plenty of fan service for everyone else too, ranging from 'Super Street Fighter' to 'Pacman'. There's just so much attention to detail, from the way some characters movements have an extremely low frame-rate like in some retro video-game, to a scene where Ralph pulls out of a sink a 'Super Mario' mushroom, an exlamation mark from 'Metal Gear Solid' and Zangief of 'Super Street-Fighter's unerwear. There are so many other scenes and aspects to the movie that have so much attention in the detail more so than any other movie that revolves around video games would, so I won't spoil it for you by saying any more about this (Besides, if I told you about every detail and reference to real video games in this movie, you'd be reading this for hours, anyway.) So they've definetely got the video-games side of this movie right, but what about the plot. Well, I know a bad guy who is looking to be good to be "wreck-ognized" isn't exactly the most original plot. While I haven't seen any movies that have actually used this plot before, I am sure it has been done and it also feels like the typical type of Disney plot. But to be honest, this did not disappoint me. You may think that this is because the video-game elements would distract you from the not-so-original plot, but I have to say, that isn't all. The reason the plot didn't bother me is because it was interpreted so well. Of course an animated movie revolving around video-games is quite a new thing, so this does not feel old. But the plot is just done so well at the same time. I cannot explain exactly how it does it, all I can really say is that you should definetely consider seeing it. If you play video games, don't even consider it. Just see it without question. And if you don't play video-games, the storyline is enough to make this movie worth seeing. I would give this a 9/10, but Metacritic only allow whole numbers, so I'll give it a 10. But to be honest, I have no problem giving it a 10. See it. Expand
  18. Apr 19, 2013
    It has been a long time since Disney has produced something this great of a masterpiece; with an audience suited for anyone, beautiful animation, characters the audiences can relate to, emotional voice acting, a twist that actually surprised me and to top it all video game references that were actually relevant to the story. This film deserves all of the 'wreck-ognition' it has achieved.
  19. Nov 4, 2012
    It's a movie by gamers for gamers, and easily the best video game movie ever made. Disney adds polish, flair, and wit throughout the entire movie. There will be numerous references that will ignite memories and the hearts of every gamer. Ralph and Vanelope are likable characters and their journey is a heartfelt one with much purpose. The visuals are fantastic, it really shows how far animation has come, as has gaming. Wreck-It Ralph touches on every genre of game, new and old, it's the perfect tribute and a hilarious movie, balancing out in every area. Expand
  20. Jan 6, 2013
    One of the best animated films of 2012.
  21. Nov 4, 2012
    Disney kicks ass with their new cartoon Wreck-it Ralph.
    This animation film has a lot of emotional moments, good script, great animation and spectacular visual effects.
    If haven't seen this film yet - reading this review is your excuse. Go see this cartoon on the big screen - you won't regret it.
  22. Nov 4, 2012
    Wreck-it Ralph is an awesome animated film. I did get a little sick from the spinning bright colors and Sarah Silverman's voice. Still, the movie is filled with great 8-bit references, yet, don't rely on simple inside jokes to give an entertaining story. And I have to admit--I don't often respect any animated film that isn't created by Pixar but Wreck-it Ralph pretty much left Brave sucking haggis.

You won't enjoy this if you don't like movies without cuss words and/or nudity and you'll pretty much hate it if you're an avid opposer to your children playing video games. But if you are a gamer or at least interactive-curious--I say grab the closest kid and go enjoy this movie!
  23. Nov 13, 2012
    The movie was great. I thought the storyline was well done and the references were spot on. It was funny, witty and something that I will definitely buy on Blu Ray.
  24. Jan 5, 2013
    Fantastic movie. Not only is the soundtrack incredible amazing for an movie (Especially the song AFTER the movie, from Owl City!) The characters are also lovable and interesting, the story is unique in the sense that it makes you think someone is a bad thing and they turn out to be good and it also has a plot twist in the end. And the references to other games like Pacman and Sonic are also amusing and cool. I really love this movie and I suggest every gamer (Even the ones who play Call of Duty, since - SPOILER - there is a Call of Duty reference in the movie..) should go watch it. Expand
  25. Jun 5, 2013
    "Wreck-It Ralph" is an incredibly well thought out and well executed animation. The jarring political statement of the movie feeds the appetite of mature audiences. The overload of references to early 21st and late 20th century pop culture, however, alienates the younger audience. In addition, the concept of arcades is such an anomaly to younger generations that this film was, in fact, more of an homage to the Baby Boomer generation (and the political atmosphere that clouded that era).

Nevertheless, Walt Disney Studios did an outstanding production by presenting a heart-warming and relevant animation. Besides..what child wouldn't like a film about video games and candies?
  26. Jun 25, 2013
    In a year were movies like the avengers and the dark knight and the always present competition of Pixar, it would be crazy to consider an non-pixar animated film one of the best movies of the year. Well, it would have be crazy if not for Wreck it Ralph! It is easily the best animated film of the year and one of my all time favorites from Disney.
  27. Dec 11, 2013
    I love this movie! It's great for kids and adults.(I'm 17-years-old). The voice acting is phenomenal and the animation is terrific! There was never a point in the movie where i felt bored, it was pretty funny and it had a heart-touching story line!! I SERIOUSLY recommend for people of all ages to watch this movie.
  28. Feb 12, 2013
    When I saw the trailer for Wreck-It Ralph last year, it didn't excite me too much. Still, I thought I would give it a shot. I am long time gamer after-all. I didn't expect to watch a great nostalgic and heartfelt film. It is my favorite animated film since Toy Story 3.
  29. Nov 7, 2012
    As both a fan of animated movies and video games, this movie was a delight. I was impressed by the perfect level of cameos mixed with original content. The movie is filled with old arcade and 90s era video game references that will go over kids heads, however they will love the vivid characters, fun slapstick, and overly silly tone the film presents. Appealing for all ages it tells a fun and original story that I'm sure everyone will enjoy (even if you aren't a kid or obsessed with video games). Expand
  30. Nov 8, 2012
    Finally a film (excluding Argo) that actually lives up to the hype. Wreck-It Ralph is pure fun entertainment. It'll have you laughing out loud, and it'll even have you tear up a bit. You really get a great feel for the characters. Disney did a very solid job with this movie. Great story, great characters, good fun, what more can you ask for? Wreck-It Ralph is definitely worth your time and your money. Good nostalgiac fun for all. 9/10 Expand
  31. Feb 27, 2013
    This is probably my new favorite Pixar film, ok so I work in the Game's industry so I was literally gushing at all the video game references (and there are lots) some in your face, some more subtle. But even as a family animated movie Wreck-It Ralph hits all the right notes, once again Pixar do what they do so well and craft brilliant characters, colourful exciting worlds and an entertaining story. In short Ralph is the bad guy in a classic arcade game called "Fix It Felix Jr", tired of being the bad guy he leaves the game and ventures into other games in an effort to become a hero. Saying anymore will spoil the plot and Pixar films are ones that are best gone into afresh. The pacing does falter a bit in them middle but the beginning and ending is pure goodness, by the end you'll want to play even the fictional games made for the movie. Expand
  32. Feb 21, 2013
    Adorable animation and lovable characters, this is both a combination of Toy Story and Who Framed Roger Rabbit in video game form Disney style. Maintains that Disney look of great animation, comedy and unsurprisingly underlying darkness alongside characters with interesting back stories where they are just begging to be loved, not to mention the film itself begging for repeat viewings because this is a film you can't see just once. It's neither patronising nor sickening, an intelligent combination of characters if not cameos with plenty of nostalgic video game references and humour which is a reason why plenty of adults should see this. It makes it feel like an instant classic and it's got an imaginative yet freaky twist in it that I've ever seen in an animation. The thing that got me was not only the heart-warming ending, but a sweet little romance between two very different characters which should be one of the sweetest romances in animation history. This film should belong up there with beautiful animations such as Toy Story. Expand
  33. Jan 4, 2013
    Hilarious, flawlessly made and great entertainment for all viewers. Wreck-it Ralph will please both gamers and film goers alike with its utterly beautiful and brilliant execution and will keep both the young and the old constantly entertained.
  34. May 16, 2013
    Wreck-It Ralph is the best Disney movie since The Emperor's New Groove, which is a big deal for me to say, as The Emperor's New Groove is one of my favourite films of all time. Wreck-It Ralph is a gamer's dream film, all the nods to video games are fantastic and it really feels like a personal love letter to games and the arcade. The film is at times hilarious, heartfelt and exciting, all the ingredients for a truly memorable Disney film, while not quite all the jokes are funny, the vast majority of them had me laughing. Rich Moore has crafted the quintessential video game movie and has made it enjoyable to anyone, seriously, everyone in the family will like it (as long as they don't recoil at the sight of anything colourful). The best movie of 2013 so far, Wreck-It Ralph had me in stitches. Thank-you Rich Moore, 93/100. Expand
  35. Nov 19, 2012
    One of the best movies I've seen. It obviously features all of those appearances from famous video game characters such as Sonic that you've probably heard about, but it features a great story that will get any kid or gamer interested. The characters are great, the voice acting fits perfectly, it has a great soundtrack & it had a huge plot-twist that is sure to surprise you. All in all, if you haven't seen it yet, go do it as soon as possible. Expand
  36. Apr 18, 2013
    Fear not, there's enough pop culture references and nostalgic homages to go around, for Wreck-It Ralph is a true bow to a culture and time that only now seems to live on in the arcade.
    Ralph (John C. Reilly) is fed up of being the villain in the Fix-It Felix game, he has no friends, lives in a dump (literally) and longs of being accepted in the wide world of his video game counterparts.
    As he makes it his point to get a medal and be accepted, we are introduced to childhood heroes reborn, everyone from the Pac-Man universe to Street Fighter and even a little Metal Gear Solid reference.
    There is a whole protocol within each game machine that when the arcade closes, they are free to explore each machine, and the film references on countless occasions just how limited technology was in these games, pixels fill the movement of various characters, showing the comparison between then and now (look at that High Definition, your face; its amazing).
    The film attempts to of course paint the sort of Toy Story picture of what do toys do when nobody is around, they live their lives, all the villains of all the games meet up at Pac Mans machine, where Blinky holds a support group for the villains, and this is truly one of the funniest parts of the film.
    The story does see Ralph trying his best to get a medal, but unfortunately creates an event which could destroy his own gaming machine for good, as he stumbles into the candy world which unfortunately has the cutest and most loveable glitch in small girl Vanellope, who just wants to race her sweet kart (it is literally made up of sweets). But Ralph must be careful because as Sonic says, if you die in another game, you cannot regenerate, ever.
    In regards to visuals, Wreck-It Ralph manages to achieve both the 2-D and 3-D universe seamlessly, which brings past characters to life while also bearing the resemblance of how we remember them.
    The story has the perfect voice cast with Reilly joined by Sarah Silverman and Jane Lynch,
    Its the visual gags that really make this film funny, taking cues from Pixar, and this very well could be mistaken for a Pixar film, but Disney have managed to make kids and adults happy alike whether the characters are running through the high-def world of Hero's Duty or indeed the Pac-Man word, Wreck-It Ralph is a wonderfully funny and well written piece that will amuse everyone.
  37. Aug 2, 2013
    Wow, Wreck-it-Ralph is great (not that I'm surprised)! It's a nice, geeky and comedic movie which brings game characters old and new together. It has a charming story of how a bad guy wants to become a good guy; the story manages to be emotional and thrilling most likely it would appeal to all age audiences (except from maybe old people with their "Back in my day!" thing...). One thing that is done really well is that it lets you get to know the characters and what they're like; basically the characterization is done well (especially with Ralph and Venelope.). To conclude: this film is exciting and emotional and would appeal to most audiences with it's light-hearted humour and... annoying world wide liked music (witch: unfortunately... Do not like, but it does fit in with the film very well). So I give this film a... 90/100! Expand
  38. Apr 21, 2013
    I originally had this rated a 7; after watching it again a few times, it's really grown on me. The film works well, delivering comedy for both parents and children. A tad predictable, but what Disney move isn't? All in all, one of the better family films to come out in last few years.
  39. Feb 16, 2013
    Above all other entertainment mediums I am a gamer first and foremost so when I heard about Pixar making a Toy Story esque film about a videogame arcade I was a little worried, especially when I heard that real game characters such as Sonic Bowser would make an appearance...oh how wrong I was to worry.
    Wreck-It Ralph tells the story of Ralph, the bad guy in the arcade game Fix-It Felix.
    Ralph doesn't like being a bad guy because bad guys dont win medals or get celebrated so when he is shunned from the games 30th anniversary party Ralph decides to leave his game, join a different one and win a medal for being a good guy. However in his disappearance the game Fix-It Felix is continued to be played and is reported broken due to a missing Ralph. Felix realises how much of a role Ralph plays and must track him down and get him back in the game before they are unplugged forever.

Wreck-It Ralph is incredibly well animated, has a brilliant voice cast and some great cameo's of real game characters and their voice actors. Gamers and non-gamers alike will enjoy it for its modern take on the 'Toy Story' tale and for its hilarious references, the most notable being the Konami Code.
    Wreck-It Ralph is this generations Toy Story and a film that should not be missed by anyone of any age.
  40. Nov 9, 2012
    This film is one of my best of the year. First, because of the retro references like Pac-Man, Super Mario Bros, Sonic and especially Fix-It Felix. Secondly, the film will appeal to children who love animated films, as well as old people are nostalgic for their old video games. And finally, the story is fun and active, there is not too cheesy love that Disney has accustomed us. This is one of the best if not the best Disney movie in the last five years, and perhaps even the last ten years. The characters are lovable and endearing, it attaches quickly to Ralph, Felix, Vanellope, Calhoun, etc.. Their stories are interesting because they are very different and original, allowing the writer to expand his ideas. Finally, this film and one of the best movies from 2012 to date, so I advice you, be with family or friends. Expand
  41. Mar 30, 2013
    As an old gamer, I really liked the respect this movie payed to all forgotten games out there So, if you know what Qbert is, go see the movie without further delay As for me, I have to remember where my ZX Spectrum is
  42. Feb 25, 2013
    i love this movie, it has a great range of funny emotional scenes. A great family movie starring Jane Lynch, and John C. Reilly.
  43. Feb 19, 2013
    Best movie I saw in 2012. As a game villain Ralph is tired of being treated poorly, so on a bet he make an attempt at getting a coveted hero's medal. A story of trust and friendship, the video game landscape doesn't hurt the movie at all.
  44. Nov 7, 2012
    I Loved This Movie! Possibly The Best Animated Movie Of 2012! Very Creative, Never A Dull Moment!
    Love The Video-Game Style!
  45. Mar 24, 2013
    Nicest video-game movie ever made. Just don't forget it's a kids movie.All nods to classic games are fantastic, still, the story stands on it's own. Get your kids to it!
  46. Feb 5, 2013
    Wreck It-Ralph is one of the best animated movies I have seen, the movie is heartwarming. The story is about Ralph who is on a journey of self discovery. It's a beautiful movie with meaning and a strong message that really makes you think about the importance of being able to accept yourself, who you are and what you do.
  47. Apr 13, 2013
    This movie was adorable,intelligent and Full of memorable characters.
    Takes me back to the earlier Disney movies where you could feel for the characters and there was some emotional depth to them, or maybe there wasn't and I was just 10, but in wreck it ralph there definitely was..
    I'm going to suggest this movie to everyone I know with kids..

The idea of a videogame movie really
    appeals to me, Seeing all those arcade characters gave me a wonderful sense of nostalgia while watching this, wreck it ralph is one of those rare childrens movies that can easily be enjoyed by most light hearted adults and man-children Expand
  48. Nov 6, 2012
    If you are a gamer, and a gamer from the older generation, this movie is for you. All the little tidbits from the Konami code to Zangief's underwear paired with the overall tender story make this movie hilarious and extremely entertaining. In no other film will you see Dr Robotnik, Bison, and Bowser sitting in a support group while Ken and Ryu hit up Tapper's after a long day of work. Innovative, interesting, and of course the movie discusses the general issues surrounding the video game industry in a poignant way. Highly recommended for children and adults alike. Expand
  49. Nov 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I played lots of games at a younger age and not nearly so much now as I am crazy consumed with work and school but, having said all of that, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie! I just saw it last night (11/11) and it was even better than I had anticipated. Loved the reminiscing I got from seeing some of my favorite characters like Storm from Mortal Combat. But, the movie was also very much for adults since the language wasn't totally geared towards tweens which made it even more enjoyable and took away any feeling that I was too old to watch it. I think it's one of the best animated Disney movies (very comparable to Pixar) produced in a long time! Expand
  50. Dec 8, 2012
    Wreck-It Ralph is one of the best movies of 2012. There were moments when I went "Awwe", moments when I went "Woah!", moments when I cried, and moments when I was shocked. It was a fantastic movie that you will always remember!
  51. Nov 17, 2012
    With deep characters, creative settings, and a surprisingly clever plot, Wreck-It Ralph is definitely one of the biggest (and best) surprises of the year! From start to finish, "Ralph" never ceases to deliver enough fun for the younger audience and even succeeds in appealing to the older generation with nostalgic references and a rich, satisfying story. Being "bad" has never felt so "good" until you watch this movie. Expand
  52. Nov 17, 2012
    Absolutely loved it. Laughed all the way through. Possibly the best animated film since The Incredibles. My ten year-old son thought it was the best he had seen in over a year. Very heartwarming as well.
  53. Apr 18, 2014
    This was silly Epic! I was surprised to find myself loving everything about it. It`s great in every way. It`s funny and has a good message. The characters are easy to like and root for.
  54. Nov 28, 2012
    Spearheaded by pristine animation, an intricate story, and a talented vocal cast, Disney Animation's love letter to video games proves to be both affecting and amusing.
  55. Dec 2, 2012
    Disney has a hit on it's hands. A strong story with lovable characters as well as a hilarious look into the world of video games makes the movie original and fun. Easily the best animated film of the year. A must see for any gamer out there.
  56. Dec 4, 2012
    Fantastic movie. I feel like this movie had a lil' something for everybody. For the gamer there were flashbacks to great games of the past (as well as little hidden nuggets that only gamers could pick up on), It also had a well thought out plot with thoughtful moments that pulled at your heartstrings. It was also very funny; I found myself laughing out loud numerous times. And last but not least, it even had a great twist that most viewers most likely did not see coming. All in all, Wreck-It-Ralph is a movie for people of all ages. Go see it today! Expand
  57. Dec 8, 2012
    Very good movie. The voice acting was great, and the animation/art style was quite impressive. There are only two minor annoyances - the change in pacing made the second half of the movie take a little bit of time to get used to (although you do eventually warm up to it), and I wasn't too fond of the bathroom humor.
  58. Dec 20, 2012
    Wreck-It Ralph is an original feel good movie sure to please audiences of any age.
  59. Apr 26, 2013
    It's great to see Disney release another quality film that is of their Toy Story standards, and this was definitley one of them! It's such a creative concept that not only kids will love but big kids at heart that grew up with arcade games. They certainly knew how to hit their target audience and with likable characters like Ralph, Felix & Vanellope and a surprise villain this film pretty much had everything to be the success that it was. Overall a must-see for Disney fans out there! Expand
  60. Dec 25, 2012
    If there's one word to describe this, it's original. Funny, sassy and incredibly clever. Best Disney movie in a long time, if not ever. In the beginning the concept is hard to grasp, but along the way, the characters explain it rather enjoyably. Wreck-it Ralph is a symbol of what it is in the arcade: here for a long time to come, even as other films come and go.
  61. Jan 3, 2013
    This film was an instant classic. Though much the film's praise comes from its use of copyrighted characters, the original characters really stand out on their own. Ralph is an interesting antihero who actually has some disagreeable qualities that make him more interesting; the writers did a successful job at making a character like Vanellope actually *endearing* and not just obnoxious, as happens in many other movies with similar characters; and Sgt. Calhoun is unforgettable and reminiscent of Treasure Planet's Captain Amelia. For a kids' movie, the narrative was top-notch. There were no lazy narrative tricks or plot contrivances thrown in -- all of the plot twists and developments are hinted at earlier in the film and make sense in the established "world" of the film, and, as a corollary, everything mentioned earlier in the film has a satisfying payoff later on.

I predicted while walking out of the theater that people would complain about a perceived underutilization of the characters and worlds that Disney got the rights to use. The saying "Give people an inch, and they'll ask for a mile" applies here. I can understand people's desire to see more copyrighted characters and worlds, but the film deserves praise for using those *at all* and doesn't deserve to be docked points for not using them as much as the reviewer wanted. People who expected this movie to be a modern-day "Cartoon All-Stars" were bound to be disappointed, as this movie was always meant to be a Disney film starring original characters flavored by familiar faces and locales. The few worlds that Ralph visits are well-developed and represent a broad array of video game archetypes: His own world (representing classic arcade platformers like the original Donkey Kong); "Hero's Duty" (drawing inspiration from "Halo," "Gears of War," "Mass Effect," and generic arcade FPS games); and "Sugar Rush," inspired by various Japanese kart-racing games. Introducing any more worlds would have made the film seem too rushed; as it is, I felt amazed that they were able to fit as much as they did within the film's runtime.

In all, it's a great film for gamers of any age, especially those of us with fond memories of arcades and 8-bit games.
  62. May 10, 2013
    This movie is one of the most clever, fun-filled, and original movies I have ever seen. There is rarely a dull moment, and it is family friendly but will be a hit for adults as well. This comedy is sure to make you laugh and connect with the characters as you complete this awesome adventure.
  63. Jan 24, 2013
    Wreck-It Ralph is not only the best animated movie to come out this year, but it's a heartwarming adventure movie that really is for true video gamers. I love video games, and I have played all the classics like Super Mario, Pac-Man, Sonic the Hedgehog, and even newer games like Call of Duty or Halo, and they all add up to what makes this new film so fantastic. It takes the world of arcade games and shows us the view of the bad guy, who may not be so bad after all. The creators of the game really know what makes Disney Animation the best in the business, because just like a Pixar film, they are able to touch the core in the kid in us and able to give even an adult like me a great time. My only complaint about this film is that although they have many video game characters and worlds, we mostly spend time in a game called Sugar Rush. It's a candy world with a lot of characters that reminds me of Strawberry Shortcake or something, and I just felt like the movie could've explored a lot more games than a candy world. But this is not a big problem, because the movie itself is a great and wonderful time for all ages, and I think this is without a doubt the best video game movie ever made. I loved the story and animation, but the characters are what make Wreck-It Ralph so incredible. I honestly loved every character in the film, even Vanellope von Schweetz who I thought I was going to hate. This movie has a lot of heart and a lot of fun, and you need to see to see it right away. Expand
  64. Feb 23, 2013
    Completely one of the greatest animated films of all time. It has many funny jokes, sad parts and such a colorful art direction and one of the greatest i have seen in years. Just amazing
  65. Feb 6, 2013
    This was a pleasant surprise. Didn't expect much because I always found Disney-produced CGI films somewhere between 'okay' and 'good'. Wreck-It Ralph blew me away with its story and lively setting. It was heartwarming and fun, a combination I look for in these types of movies. I want to see this again.
  66. Dec 26, 2013
    A surprisingly brilliant film, has plenty of both funny and sad parts, as per usual from Disney, and as a gamer the multitude of game references were nice.
  67. Feb 9, 2013
    When I first saw a preview for this film, right away, I knew I wanted to see it. And I was not disappointed in the least. The acting with the characters was genuine because the VAs worked in the same room together as opposed to other animated films where each VA is in a different recording room. I enjoyed how the focus wasn't on mainstream video game characters and how they were only in the film for a maximum of 5-10 minutes. That keeps the attention on the main characters without forcing pop-culture references. The worlds were beautifully well done, even the Fix-It Felix world which was only a penthouse and garbage dump in front of a black backdrop. I wanted to know what would happen to each of the main characters, and each of them received a very fitting ending. The twist at the end was barely predictable (at least for myself and the people I went to go see it with) and, as it is Disney, I was left crying at the appropriate moments. Even the soundtrack was wonderful, I purchased it shortly after seeing the film. This is a rare movie for me in the case that I put in money and effort to see it multiple times. I will definitely be buying the DVD once it comes out and I would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of Disney, video games or just a good story. Expand
  68. Feb 16, 2013
    Are you big on video games? Have you ever watched a movie about video games? If you haven't this movie is for you, it has lots of video game cameos, great story, beautiful animation and just as much fun to watch as playing a video game!
  69. Jul 21, 2013
    This movie is the current generations Toy Story. Is it as good as toy story? No, but this is the best animation of 2012. John C. Reilly is really good as ralph,(who didn't tear up when he was about to die) Sarah Silverman was pretty good, whoever voiced fix-it felix was good, same for king candy. The comedy is really good(most of it provided by king candy). There was a lot of obscure and easy to see references, and the credits had a lot of references too. Kids will love this movie and so will adults. Expand
  70. Mar 2, 2013
    Wreck-it-Ralph is a great movie for anyone and everyone. It is fun for kids. It has classic videogame references (for people to point out to eachother- "ooh look- Pong!"). It has a great story- it actually cuts kinda deep, emotionally, and that is something I have to give props to Disney for. The CGI is great for a non-Pixar CGI film. This movie is the full package that makes an awesome movie- I'm actually surprised that it did not win the Oscar for best animated feature film this year. I bet the sequel will. I cannot WAIT for Wreck it Ralph 2. Expand
  71. Mar 10, 2013
    Wreck-it Ralph is the best animated film since Toy Story 3. All the characters in this film help to create a story that could become a very nice franchise.
  72. Mar 23, 2013
    I actually expected less, maybe 7/10. But THIS movie is one of the best animated movies of 2013 (in where I live) and of all time. It's so good, I am wondering why people HATE IT?!? I tell you, it's no mixed bag, it's a Pick n Mix.
  73. Apr 9, 2013
    I've never seen such a big, bold, extremely original and intellectually smart film as "Wreck-It Ralph". Truly lovable to its highest peak, it will not leave you unsatisfied! It's the meca of how quality animated films should be made. Trust me, instead of looking for the next action-packed flick, detour for a minute and devour this movie to pieces, just to have all its meaning into you. The greatest animated Pixar movie I've ever seen! Expand
  74. Apr 20, 2013
    Wreck-It Ralph was //by far// the most original movie so far. Very emotional (to me) as well. I think it's for children 8-7 and up considering it says "killing" and "I want you dead" or something similar to that. But hey, this is just my honest opinion. I really recommend watching it, if you haven't already.
  75. May 21, 2013
    Best animated movie this year for me. Loved the characters(all of them), very well placed humor, nice 3d effects, and it's super original, therefore it deserved it's place among Oscar's nominee!
  76. May 6, 2013
    Awesome movie. I loved all the references and character cameos from the video games of years past. It was funny, clever and nostalgic. It would be a shame for anyone to miss out on this movie.
  77. May 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's about time a movie based off a video game; or in this case video game based, and I'm very glad that I spent the last of my allowance to see in it in theaters. I think just about everyone can make the connection that this movie is based off the Donkey Kong games from the early years; at least gamers know probably, and I guess that they couldn't get the rights to the characters so they improvised. I'm not entirely sure though. First off, it's about time, that we have a movie that's about video games and doesn't suck. I said it already, but it's so exciting. Enough with the geekgasm, I should start talking about why I like this film. Some of things that stand out in this film are the visuals, they are a joy to look at and have a lot of imagination put into them. Varying from arcade classic theme, dark gritty, and childlike. The characters are good, the main character has reasonable reasons for doing what he's done, the supporting cast are fun. Some have the cute brat charm, while others have the army general type. Story is great too, talking about how it feels to be the bad guy; of course it's circumstantial, but it does get the point across and the main character shows very good development. This is one of my favorite Disney films, and it surprises me in how this wasn't a Pixar production. I guess there's this giant plot hole near the end, but I don't see it as a major problem. I believe this is one of the best Disney films out there, and is certainly a joy to watch. Expand
  78. Jun 20, 2013
    Wreck-it Ralph has become one of my favorite movies of all time! The characters are pretty well developed for a kids movie, the animation is A+ quality, the soundtrack is great, it's very original, and has a great message. The only thing that bothered me was the occasional heavily corny joke, but, the rest of the movie was so amazing that it doesn't really matter that it had some corny jokes.
  79. Oct 27, 2013
    Wreck it Ralph Movie Review

Wreck it Ralph is one of the greatest animated movies that is thrilling, hilarious, creative, and full of emotions. Audiences can understand Ralph’s perspective of feeling like a “nobody.” The story line flows very well and is great for children of all ages. The movie is about a game character who struggles to become a hero by obtaining a medal. Ralph
    strives to become a hero by surviving in another game called “Hero’s Duty.” Although he won the medal, he accidentally brings a “cy-bug” with him which can jeopardize the whole game system. Ralph and Vanellope have explored Candy Land adventures and met an enemy called “King Candy” which then gives a great twist to the story. In my perspective, Wreck it Ralph does not need any improvements since it effectively presents a successful story of Ralph finding his own true meaning of himself and is seen as a hero all along. I think the director of this movie did a wonderful job in creating each scene and making sure it flows smoothly until the very end. Overall, the movie is thrilling and did not fail to entertain the audience and myself.

Literary: The spoken language is completely English and each of the main characters changes through out the film by further exploring their inner personality. The main issue of the movie is that Ralph fails to become a hero since he is always the “bad guy.” Ralph's situation with the cy-bug caused more problems and have jeopardized the game system.. The story was very interesting to me since the plot was well developed and characters had very unique personalities.
    Dramatic: The setting of this movie was very extraordinary. All the features in “Candy Land” were made out of candy and most of these candies were from Willy Wonka Company. The colorful backgrounds and scenery were very impressive and creative.
    Cinematic: In several scenes of the movie, the music flowed very well with the action of the characters. I believe the music is appropriate and fits well with the scenarios. The music is fun, playful, and great for children.
  80. Dec 9, 2013
    This is one of the greatest animated movies that I have ever seen. I would say that it is amazing to a level par to Toy Story. Every character was portrayed well. The plot was exciting and not too predictable. My favorite part, however, was that the characters weren't people. They had their own issues, and the making it relate-able to the human viewers was executed magnificently. The humor was rich and the story decently captivating. Amazing. Expand
  81. Nov 13, 2013
    Oh yeah. This movie is HILARIOUS! If you are a big fan of video games, then you will fall IN LOVE with this movie. I used to think this movie was stupid, then I watched it, and I changed my mind. It's anything but!
  82. Dec 29, 2013
    This movie is my most absolute number 1 favourite disney movie, its cleaver, funny and IT HAS GAME CHARACTERS IN IT! which is brilliant because this title has limitless potential for future sequals, its got something for everyone you could possibly want in a Disney film, I never used to be a huge fan but now I am!
  83. Jan 23, 2014
    An excellent tribute to games that have passed, Ralph features an outstanding voice cast, amazing visuals, and hilarious video game references that will make anyone smile.
  84. Mar 12, 2014
    Let me tell you: I am not a fan of Disney movies at all, but this one right here, is one that just can't be ignored. Wreck It Ralph is one of the most cleverly written and created films ever made by Disney, possibly even further than just Disney.
  85. Mar 15, 2014
    i love wreck it ralph its everything i seen in an animated film but not like this . there should be more violent but still loved it . but sugar rush is for gay girls and boys which i hated in this film
  86. Mar 29, 2014
    The Greatest Video Game movie of all time! I loved it. I thought Disney did a masterful job on this movie! It has a lot of great references to different video games out there like Sonic the Hedgehog, Pac-Man, Tapper, Super Mario Bros and many others! Of course it's not just the references that make the movie brilliant, I also thought the story was fantastic, it had some good humor and a lot of "heart" to it. I do agree with a lot of people with the whole fact that this movie may have spent a little too much time in the Sugar Rush game; I would've liked it if they would've just explored other different games. Of course I understand that Disney couldn't just pull references out in every nook in cranny probably due to the copyrighting section of their budget. But I love what this films offers, I think that anyone could enjoy this game even if you are not a gamer. It so great to finally see a movie about video games that is actually good, because there are so many video game movies made out there that have been epic fails, but Wreck-It Ralph is a huge exception. Expand
  87. May 22, 2014
    I Love Video Games so much! This is one of them. some them I know. Hero's Duty? Good joke for that! HA! Love that Joke! Other jokes like when ralph goes into the chocolate river and does that darth Vader Breath. Nice!!!
  88. Apr 27, 2014
    I have loved John C Reilly ever since I watched Chicago. Now this is the perfect voice role for him, you never have trouble believing that Ralph is exactly how he looks, which is odd. Wreck it Ralph is so unique, the people at Disney are just getting more and more creative. Wish I had their imaginative talent! This is amazing, I loved the way they could travel from game to game via wires, so creative! The characters are lovable and Vanellope is so cute! The fact the movie centres around 3 main game worlds shows how much they have thought about it. Wreck it ralph is kind of neutral ground, Heroes duty is aimed more at the male population and then of course Sugar Rush is aimed more at the female population. That is so clever as regardless if you agree with those stereotypes there will be one world you prefer, but this keeps everyone interested at some point of the movie. Thumbs up! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Feb 9, 2013
    For me, it never came to life.
  2. Reviewed by: Simon Crook
    Feb 4, 2013
    A "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" for the joystick generation that, despite a mid-act dip into generic Disney territory, high-scores on laughs, invention and 8-bit affection.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephen Kelly
    Jan 21, 2013
    A Disney flick that feels like on-form Pixar, blending knowing humour and sophistication with a large helping of heart. You'll want another go.