8.4

1. Nov 26, 2014
    By far the most compelling entry in the X-Men movie series so far. The focus is less on action and focuses more on the plot and characters. I have to say it's nice to see some X-Men other than Wolverine get some time in the spotlight. There's a grand spectacle to it all and plenty of dazzling special effects.

It tries to straighten out some of the wrinkles in the series convoluted
    timeline. In some ways it succeeds, but it the end it just adds a few more to keep things confusing when trying to see the big picture this movie universe has tied together. There are also some unanswered questions that are way too big to ignore, but the movie does it anyway. We are never told how Magneto got his powers back or how the heck Charles Xavier is even alive. They are some big flaws with the story of this movie, and the X-Men movie universe as a whole. However I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the movie anyway.

I guess by now I learned to accept the movies take on the fiction is flawed, and that the only way to fix it would be to reboot the series on the big screen. The writers try to set things right without a reboot, but instead all they do is chalk it up to time travel and ignore some glaring questions. Oh well, we just have to accept it.

However with this movie being so darn good, and the promise of excellent things on the horizon (stay until the end of the credits), it's not hard to do that. It's an awesome movie that does things no other superhero movie has tried yet, and the future of the X-Men movies has never looked brighter. I highly recommend it to all comic book fans.
  2. Nov 22, 2014
    it's a pretty good superhero movie with some excellent performances and a well told story based on one of the best comics marvel has produced. it did have it's less than brilliant moments and the pacing could have been better but i think it's probably the best x-men movie since X2. the only reason it doesn't score higher is that a lot of elements have completely screwed the x-men movies continuity even after the damage done by first class and the wolverine movies Expand
  3. Nov 17, 2014
    I was impressed considering these type of movies are not up my alley. The action was consistently engaging and innovative. The story doesn't get weirdly obscure like other similar movies.
  4. Nov 16, 2014
    X-Men: Days of Future Past won't be remembered for being a bad film, it simply won't be remembered period. The movie doesn't offer much of anything that you can hate or love about it. Dull dialogue, no action and performances that were mediocre at best. It holds the title as the most forgettable movie this year.
  5. Nov 13, 2014
    "X-Men: Days of Future Past" 10 Scale Rating: 9.5 (Epic) ...

The Good: As great of an X-Men film as you will ever see, and among the best comic book films of all time. The series has come a long way in the 14 years since the first film was released and they have definitely upped the ante here. I was concerned about the size of the cast, but Singer did an amazing job balancing them all
    and making sure everyone got the appropriate amount of screen time. This wasn't "Wolverine and the X-Men", this was an all-out X-Men film. The fight scenes are amazing and we are able to see the mutants unleash their powers in all their glory. The majority of the characters were already established previously, so it felt very much like seeing old friends again rather than re-hashing past stories. The best part of the film is the pacing. It starts off with a bang and simply does not stop moving until the very end. Lastly, the film does a fantastic job of re-invigorating the franchise and eliminating the mistakes of past films; X-Men 3 and to a lesser extent, X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I once thought it impossible, but this film has replaced X2 as my favorite film in the X-franchise.

The Bad: The film is mostly perfect, but has a few very small things that drop it down a little. First and foremost, even for a comic book film, some parts of the story were a little difficult to believe. Secondly, while I'm glad it wasn't a Wolverine-centric film, I would have liked to have seen more action from him in specific.
  6. Nov 10, 2014
    Despite its weak human villain (Trask), this move is complex, quickly paced & fun and X-Men: Days of Future Past ranks amongst the best of the X-Men franchise.
  7. Nov 7, 2014
    X-Men Days of Future Past is a superior entry in the franchise. The plot is decent and the action is pretty great too. Most importantly, it's a lot of fun to see these characters bounce off of each other again. The downside is that the future cast is severely marginalized to the point where the old Magneto has almost no lines in the entire film. But still, this is a ton of fun.
  8. Nov 2, 2014
    Well let's put it this way, X-Men: Days of Future Past is the best X-Men movie released to date. The cast was phenomenal with no issue of too many characters with lack of screen time. The concept tied the recurring theme of mutant apocalypse with an original story infused with historical events. With this story the franchise is open to a multitude of possibilities with the present timeline changed from that of the original X-Men series. Expand
  9. Oct 29, 2014
    By no means am I a fan-boy of Marvel or X-Men, but there are no words to describe this movie. This amazing story and adventure is sure to convince you there is a hope for humanity and make you want to want to kiss babies. The hype is real folks, this **** will knock you off your feet.
  10. Oct 24, 2014
    This is the newest X-men movie and is pretty much a setup for the next one" X-Men:Apocalypse" It's directed by Bryan Singer the guy who brought us the first two X-Men movies but also Superman:Returns....But push that all aside and Days of Future past is still a very entertaining movie. Hugh Jackman gets to be the star again in this movie like most of the others, but at least he's not to bad at it. It's nice to see the use of characters in this movie to, seeing they are dealing with time travel and to sets of mutants it gives them lots to work it. The story is can seem very complex at times witch is a nice change but some may get lots in the time travel and who is who.
    All in all If you watched any of the X-Men Movies in the last couple years you owe it to yourself to see this one. Then prepare yourself for "Apocalypse".
  11. Oct 21, 2014
    I originally wanted to see this in the theater but never found the time to. I am glad I missed it. The X-Men series has become tragically awful, considering the great potential of the stories. Days of Future Past takes one of my favorite X-Men stories and distills it into farce.
  12. Oct 20, 2014
    I never cared for the first three X-Men movies, in fact I think X-Men 2 is one of the most overrated movies ever. I did enjoy First Class, and it's follow up Days of Future past I found myself delighted with the plot and characters. This movie is proof that you don't need large and constant action sequences to make a powerful super hero film. The writing in this movie in fantastic, and the acting it's truly great. No surprise based on the all-star cast.

Now, I do have some complains here. The first one is some of the time travelling logic. Although not bad by any means, is not absolutely bullet proof to logic.

Then, I was disappointing with how little we saw from the "future" X-Men. Their scenes were some of the best in the movie, and thanks to the ending I'm afraid we will never explore the world/characters that pop-out the most in the movie.

Beyond those two flaws, Days of Future past is not only a great movie but is one that I hope challenges other super hero movies to step up their storytelling to the next level.

Oh, and the Quicksilver scene alone is worth watching this movie for. More quicksilver please!
  13. Oct 20, 2014
    This movie was made out of pure excellence. The movie is by far one of the best x-men movies in the franchise. Bryan really did an amazing job with this movie. The acting is really great but my one complaint is that Ian McKellen didn't get much too say in this movie, just a few sentences. However looking past that I don't see more mistakes with it. I am probably gonna re-watch this movie again soon. I recommend this movie to anyone even if your not a huge X-men fan. Expand
  14. Oct 19, 2014
    X-Men: Days of Future Past is the best X-Men movie to date, and it totally broke my expectations!

This new X-Men movie is so incredible, there’s so much unique and awesome things that blew my mind of when I saw this film. The return of Brian Singer to the X-Men franchise totally is the reason why this movie is so great, which means that The Last Stand could have been great if he had
    direct it. Days of Future Past is one heck of a movie, and I never got bored because it’s so damn well made and entertaining! The opening scene is incredible, and both the CGI and the actors are all superb.

X-Men: Days of Future Past is the best sci-fi movie of the year (to date), and one important aspect is the awesome soundtrack from John Ottman, truly a wonderful soundtrack! The best thing is of course the story, they are changing the past for a better future, and the result of that is so great, because we don’t know how much have changed after the events in DoFP! That’s why I can’t wait until the next X-Men film! There are some downsides like vague CGI at some places, and it got a bit confusing with the time travel, but it’s still an awesome movie!

This is one of the best films of 2014!

X-Men: Days of Future Past get a 9/10
  15. Oct 14, 2014
    Maybe because I was such a fan of the X-men as a kid, that a couple of the first bunch of X-men related movies entertained me. I thought the first one was pretty well made, but as is usually the case, the ensuing sequels and spinoffs were all down hill from there. Talk about a comic book movie taking itself so seriously! So much brooding, despair, hopelessness and misery in this one! Some more mutants who's powers seem to be mostly just looking weird? Evolved? This movie is worth the look for the 15 - 20% of the footage centered around action sequences and some new mutant power show offs. Take that away and it is your basic soulless blockbuster series annuity. Especially for the actors...lot's of them came back to life to collect residual income promised to them in Xmen;Days of past contract shortfalls. I was actually hoping the sentinels finished off all the mutants for good...to spare homo sapiens another movie! Fell asleep for a short portion, so I can't be sure, but it seemed like the sentinels delivered some of the most compelling lines of the whole script. Expand
  16. chw
    Oct 13, 2014
    X-Men: Days of Future Past was the best X-Men movie made. I've seen all of them, and I am able to say such. It's a must-see, although the unfortunate catch is YOU MUST SEE ALL OF THEM IN ORDER from X-Men Origins, 1, 2, 3, First Class, The Wolverine, then this.
  17. Oct 12, 2014
    This was so-so. One problem is that there are too many X-Men for any of them to receive anything but the most simplified broad brush backstory, so none of them feel like real people, so you don't really care that much what happens to them. One highlight is that the guy playing the role of Nixon was great, almost uncanny. Mystiques's makeup is not as good in the original X-Men. It looks much less natural and fake; the filmmakers also seem too shy to show Mystique for more than a split second at a time. Also, now that we know there is a method for going back in time whenever it is convenient, all future drama (if there are more movies) is wiped out, because if someone dies, if anything else goes wrong, they can just send Wolverine back in time to fix it. Overall, a mildly disappointing entry. Expand
  18. Oct 5, 2014
    A film in which the retcon of the retcon of the retcon of the retcon is retconed, sees Adam Jenson straying outside his Deus Ex beginnings and accidentally getting Wolverine's powers, before being sent back in time, in mind only, by a mutant who has no relevant mutation to perform this task, so one must question the quality of her work, I suppose.
    Upon arriving in the 70s - 'cos
    everything in Hollywood has to flashback to the 70s: no other decade exists! - he promptly sets off on a jaunt to persuade Prof X and Magneto to play happy families and stop the ebul future that he is living through in which mutants are nearly extinct.
    Now, Prof X, having sunk into despair 'cos reasons, has started taking a drug made by Beast that was developed to suppress the X-gene, and in consuming said, he not only loses his powers but also regains the use of his legs - magical stuff this, that can repair a severed spinal column due to...errr...DNA! Yeah...
    Anyway, he buys Logan's story, with next to no proof, and heads off across America to break Irish Magneto out of a secret, concrete prison below the Pentagon with nothing more than his awesome sideburns and a kid who can move fast (cue: worst reveal of illegitimate child EVER), providing, at least, the only fun point of this film (slo-mo kitchen fight).
    So, with the band all back together, off they jog once more to stop Mystique from killing a bad man, thus undoing a chain of events that will lead to her DNA being used to destroy all of Mutantkind. Of course, Irish Magneto being the raging bloody idiot he is, has to sabotage every plan they come up with by randomly trying to murder first Mystique, then just about anyone else he does not like the look of.
    Of course, it all resolves at the last possible moment, just as the mutants from the future are set to be wiped away for good, with every important character already having being brutally murdered at least once, leaving us with what is quite possibly the biggest retcon in the history of cinema, with the director bringing back everyone who ever died and especially focusing on undoing all of X-Men 3. There there, Bryan Singer; you can dry your eyes now. All the mean and nasty stuff that someone else did to your work (ie the first two utterly rubbish films) is all forgotten now, and you can now move forward bravely, preparing to milk this franchise dry with your banal plots, tedious character work and immature humour.
    I know that XMen, at least from the point of view of the comics, is a total train-wreck, having retconned its whole universe on multiple occasions, but I just expect better of movies - or at least I used to. Clearly this is what everyone else wants from this medium, so it, along with gaming, are simply not for me any more.
  19. Oct 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Awesome movie, awesome acting and cast, awesome effects and awesome story. I missed characters like "Vampire", "Jean" and "Scott", they just shows up in the end for less than one minute =( but it's alright, this is my favorite movie of 2014 so far. Expand
  20. Oct 4, 2014
    I would have given a 11 for this, but since the score goes up to 10, that's what I went with. I ony can describe this film in one word: Terrific. I was never really a huge X-Men fan, but because the acting, story and pacing were all well done, it might make me watch the ones that I haven't watched, then re-watch the whole series ready for Apocalypse in 2016.
  21. Oct 3, 2014
    Fantastic film, I really enjoyed First Class and was eager to see the sequel as soon as it ended. I'm not a huge X-Men fan, and haven't really followed it that much in terms of comics and its previous films. I have seen X-men 1, 2 and 3. But I haven't seen the Wolverine films.

Days of Future Past is very entertaining throughout the entire film, very well done and enjoyable. Although the
    storyline isn't complex the action is where the heart of the film is, and I enjoyed every second of the film. Expand
  22. Sep 28, 2014
    This is, my a fair margin, the best x-men movie made yet. Combining all eras and casts (albeit not always equally), mixing heavy-hearted moments with an intensity and desire to see the unexpected that is rare noadays, this movie combines so many elements with an articulate finesse.
  23. Sep 26, 2014
    I'm glad to return to the history of the trilogy. I like to see Storm back in action. Hugh Jackman is amazing as always. The finally made me cry for joy.
  24. Sep 20, 2014
    Really nothing special. I watched this on the basis of the User Reviews here and was sorely disappointed. Terrible dialogue. Predictable story line. All of the big names (except Hugh Jackman) either sleep-walked through this film or overdid it.

Very comic-book like script. Even when you enter the X-Men world (with the leap from reality that it requires), it's still hard not to
    question the plausibility of a few of the scenes.

Don't bother watching. Another example of why TV is king at the moment.
  25. Sep 19, 2014
    Great movie, decent story, good acting all around. Was very fun and entertaining. Would be nice if the next one has humans and mutants united fighting some other threat because as much as I liked it this human vs mutant struggle is getting stale.
  26. Sep 18, 2014
    Marvel appears to be at the top of their game after another installment of the X-Men series. This film may not only be the best of the series but perhaps the best Marvel film to date. Bryan Singer did a tremendous job returning to the series and manages to send the viewer back in forth to different time frames without any confusion. Hugh Jackman is fantastic as Wolverine as always, but I found that James McAvoy stole the show as the young Charles Xavier. Michael Fassenbender was extraordinary as well. Both of these men are great actors and are very underrated at this point in their careers. Days of Future Past is a must see for any Marvel fan. The world is now open to any possibility in the sequel Apocalypse. I'm looking forward to it. Expand
  27. Sep 18, 2014
    Coming from a longtime fan of the comics, this was a GOOD movie. It was probably the most anticipated of the X-Men movies I have seen lately. I was disappointed at how they deviated from the original story ark that the movie was based on, but I do understand that they are trying to connect the original X-Men movies with the newer X-Men: First Class team.
  28. Sep 14, 2014
    X-Men: Days of Future Past is a terrific example of how a superhero movie SHOULD be made. From its terrific dialogue to its amazingly charismatic cast members, DOFP is one of the very best comic book movies ever created.
  29. Sep 10, 2014
    Yet another satisfyingly paced movie to entertain me this year! "X-Men: Days of Future Past" is the best X-Men movie ever thanks to exciting action sequences and a well written story.
  30. Sep 5, 2014
    Bryan Singer sabe como hacer cine de buen entretenimiento, no se necesita de suecuencia de accion desenfrenada para contar una historia maravillosa pero que peca de alguno que otro agujero, las interpetraciones son soberbias, escenas bien rodadas como el escape del pentagono, sin duda mi favorita de la saga de los mutantes.
  31. Sep 4, 2014
    This is one of the few superhero movies that really gets to me. The character development and emotions they portray really reflects onto the viewers, it would be farfetched to call this a masterpiece, but it's not short of one, nor is it your stereotypical superhero action movie.
  32. Aug 23, 2014
    Really, "Days of the Future Past" is nothing new or that exiting. The film follows the same recycled plot (Humans vs. mutants) that all the "X-Men" movies do. I wouldn't say it's a bad movie, because you still get your summer popcorn fun from it, but I wouldn't brag about it either.
  33. Aug 19, 2014
    I have avoided any real spoilers although some basic story ideas are revealed...

This movie has the arduous task of tying two different casts of the same basic characters together across the span of time. Marvel did a nice job here and manages to pull it off. It harkens back a little to Star Trek Generations where Kirk and Picard are in the same movie. Speaking of that there is a little
    Star Trek Easter Egg in this movie, so see if you catch it :) So this was the future X-men connecting with the past X-men. The cast of X-men First Class meets the cast of the three X-men movies with Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen.

The writers did a nice job on the story. The future and the past mesh well and that is not an easy task with time travel type scenarios. During the middle third of the movie I wasn’t really feeling it. I like it, don’t get me wrong, but the plot just kind of happens. There are times in the film that it seems to drag a bit. Never does it venture into dull or boring and story elements do move forward in a timely fashion. This one was not the epic action packed adventure of say, The Avengers. Rather, it moves through a lot of story content, so dialog is very important. The dialog in this film is a little sub-par for a Marvel movie. Over all at the end, I just didn’t have that holy cow that was an awesome experience as I was leaving the theater.

Not getting that wow factor could have allot to do with Marvel superhero fatigue. Let’s face it there is no shortage of heroes in masquerade on the big screen these days. This is the fifth installment of X-Men; so this was a tall order for Marvel to keep it interesting. They pulled it off however. I really like the connection that was made between these two “eras” of X-men. The Wolverine is a key player in this film and as usual Hugh Jackman is the man and he IS the Wolverine!

I was very pleasantly surprised with the prequel movie “First Class” that introduced us to the new cast of mutants. Although this latest effort fails to reach the high marks of that film, it does fare quite well overall in a sea of great superhero movies. First Class had better dialog and a deliciously sinister villain, portrayed by Kevin Bacon. The villain in Days of Future Past is more nebulous. In the “future” plot, it is not an individual but more of a bad idea gone worse. In the “past” the villain tends to track well with the X-Men comics and story as the villains are often misunderstood mutants with an eye for survival against fearful humans. Although this latest effort fails to reach the high marks of that film, it does fare quite well overall in a sea of great superhero movies.

I give this one a solid 7 on the Metacritic scale.
  34. Aug 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm a huge X-Men fan, and this movie had a lot of awesome mutants! It was centered around Wolverine, but in terms of storyline was more about Magneto, Mystique, and Charles. The best part of this movie was the scenes with Quicksilver. I've never really seen a good depiction of a super speed character in a superhero movie, but this hit it on the spot. The slow motion was used great in this movie, and all the effects were great! The plot was good as well. This movie was fantastic, and it was my second favorite X-Men movie, but it had some downfalls. This movie had a lot of plot holes like Professor X being alive, Kitty's time traveling, and a bit more. Those knocked it down from 9 to 8, but it still was crazy fun! Expand
  35. Aug 3, 2014
    Days of Future Past is not only one of the best X-Men films, it's one of the best superhero films of all time. It knows exactly what do with it's characters and how to make their actors portray them perfectly. The action is top notch and the special effects are wonderful. I was a little bit nervous for this movie learning that Matthew Vaughn dropped out as director and was replaced by Bryan Singer after Singer directed the mediocre "Superman Returns" and "Jack the Giant Slayer" but Singer absolutely nailed it. Days of Future Past is a wonderful entry into the superhero genre. Expand
  36. Jul 31, 2014
    In my adolescents, much like every kid in my class, and more thereafter. Ask any kid growing up in the late 90s and early 2000s, when comic book movies were just starting to become a reality. Before “The Avengers”, before “Iron Man” and yes..even before “Spider-Man”..there was only a select squad of superheroes I knew..well not superheroes..mutants. Wolverine, Magneto, Professor X, Cyclops, Mystique..just to name a few. They were called The X-Men, and not only did they inspire me as a child, after seeing their latest adventure, they have inspired me as an adult now too. The film reunites long time fan boy favorite director Bryan Singer (X-Men and X2) with the best cast of characters anyone this side of earth could ever ask for. If we put, The Avengers up against the X-Men, hands down I put my money on the X-Men any day.
    “X-Men Days Of Future Past” brought me back to when I was a child, playing with those small Wolverine action figures and what not, running around pretending I had claws coming out of my hands. The past couple solo outings (“X-Men Origins” & “The Wolverine”) were both artistic disappointments. Not because the character was bad, instead the misguided direction. I can say now, with a clear conscious, these faults have been drastically altered. Singer returns to soaring new heights, creating filmmaking at it’s finest. Would I call this film “The Best Superhero Film Ever” ? heavens no. But, a film that defies itself through its core, and characters. There is so much in this film analytically. That as a critic, (in training) … it’s so brutally touching to watch. Could I just be a fanboy serenading the film? well jeez, I sure hope so.

The film chronicles the events after “The Wolverine” and all other previous X-Men films..so this is a true sequel. Not a reboot, or prequel. Not since “X-Men: The Last Stand” have we gotten great story progressing. Set in the distant future; mutants are becoming extinct. At the helm of their greatest foe, that any mutant has ever faced. The Sentinel Primes. At a last ditch effort to save the Mutant race, Logan (Wolverine) is sent back in time to convince the young Charles Xavier to use his powers and alter the past-- to ensure that Mutants have a future. Resulting in quite possibly the greatest dream time of the century.

Nonetheless, what makes “X:Men Days of Future Past” so incredibly unique is that well .. it benefits from having the entire cast of characters. Bringing back the young favorites that made “X:Men First Class” unforgettable. In addition bringing back the old favorites from the original trilogy. This has to be the greatest ploy and gimmick of the year. I mean..who can contest that seeing Hugh Jackman's ragin’ cagin’ Wolverine fighting alongside Magneto and Beast in the 1960s? .. if speaking bluntly it’s like a dream come true. Not to mention we get a more than suitable cameo from the beloved “Quicksilver” whom undoubtedly has one of the best scenes in the entire film.

The performance end of things is fairly top notch. Jackman simply owns the role of Wolverine and give his most eagerly pleasing rendition of the character to date. James McAvoy as the young Charles Xavier ...this casting was a pure stroke of genius. Jennifer Lawrence, Patrick Stewart, Ian Mckellen, Nicholas Hoult all turn in fine performances. But, the real show stealer belongs to Michael Fassbender and his tremendous take on our beloved Magneto. It’s amazing to see his growth in the character. Could you believe that Fassbender was actually in the film “Jonah Hex”??? yeah I didn’t think so. The film is as good as the cast, and director. Thanks to this scene churning performances, it only adds to the benefactor of “DOFP” and ultimately makes it that much more captivating. There are some funny one-liners and sight gags, but these never deteriorate from the very dark, and eluded tone the film has for most of it’s quick, and breezy two and half hour run time.

In contrast, the film is beautifully shot to no end. Singer has a keen sense of detail which is exactly why he was the perfect tribute to helm such a hefty project. Singer, gives the core fans everything they want in an X-Men film..and distinctly, so much more. “DOFP” is quick and energized to the point, where I was stunned when the film reached it’s very satisfying conclusion. True Marvel fans shall stick around after the credits for a glimpse of what’s to come.

Consequently, any audience member needs to sit down, strap on the seat belt and hold on. Funny, how just a little over a month ago we were discussing how “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” propelled the genre to new heights and set an unprecedented par. While, I think that these films are part of two totally different universes (which they are). But, “DOFP” has more than eclipsed that benchmark set just a month ago.

A

By: Nate Adams
  37. Jul 30, 2014
    BY FAR the worst xmen movie ever made the mistakes both logical and else where just all over the place it was just such a huge bummer and such a terrible movie that i dont even know where to begin to criticize ...
    But above all the sentinels kicking mutant as* 'es like its nothing is what killed it for me i mean come on ... Anyone who has watched the xmen - tas and read the xmen comics
    would say the same thing about this terrible excuse of an xmen movie my overview opinion is that marvel should stop making movies and ruining childhoods because this thing totally ruined mine ... Expand
  38. Jul 30, 2014
    Much like the other Marvel movies of the past 5 years - Quite entertaining, quite forgettable. It's a good one to just kick back and relax and enjoy the ride. As most time travel movies (yes, this movie's got a little bit of that) you have to suspend disbelief because if you think about it too long it won't make sense I promise.

6/10 (+1 for the wow-factor of Jackman's back muscles)
  39. Jul 25, 2014
    cant stand singers xmen. I didnt even really think first class was that good. I feel its one of the worst of the marvel cannon of movies. The best moments are in the trailer and there is maybe one or two scenes that are good. Time to reboot Xmen and start from scratch.
  40. Jul 21, 2014
    This is the best X-men movie so far, action was great the story was ok, it felt a bit slow at times though. It brings back Professor X from the dead with no explanation, but you cant go wrong with Jackman as Wolverine. 7/10
  41. Jul 17, 2014
    Movie of this year, Interstellar . Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Guardians of the Galaxy. X-Men: Days of Future Past, Cant wait for Apocalypse. the cast is incredible in X-Men: Days of Future Past
  42. Jul 17, 2014
    Insane variety of super interesting characters combined with well written story and you have one of the best comic book movie ever created! It's almost a perfect action movie with some week elements that wont bring it down
  43. Jul 16, 2014
    This movie and X-Men 2 are my my favorite movies Its better then X-Men 3, this movie was AWESOME!! SUPERB!! , the story and great acting easily the best X-Men film since X2.
  44. Jul 15, 2014
    My favorite films of this summer so far. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and, X-Men: Days of Future Past, and lets see if Guardians of the Galaxy is gonna be a good movie, i'm excited to see Guardians of the Galaxy this August.
  45. Jul 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Once again, it’s time for another superhero movie – another superhero sequel to be precise. There have been a lot of these lately, but that seems to be the way of the world. Now, counting all spin-offs and prequels, we’re on the seventh X-Men movie, with an eighth confirmed to be on the way, continuing the franchise that started it all back in 2000. We’ve even got the original director Bryan Singer back in the chair, who previously abandoned the franchise to make the quickly forgotten Superman Returns (2006).

However, rather than take the easy route and reboot it, this film is an ambitious attempt to reconcile the existing storyline, tie up some of the loose ends of X-Men: The Last Stand (2006) and bring it all together with the cast of prequel X-Men: First Class (2011). The result ends up a little jumbled, and there are loads and loads of characters, and multiple actors playing certain characters, but perhaps that’s to be expected in any film involving time travel as a major plot point.

That’s right, as the title heavily implies, in a Back to the Future-style confusion of tenses, this film is largely set in the ‘70s, sometime after the events of First Class. It’s very easy for me to get behind such a film, chock full of retro vibes, cool cars, leather jackets, burgundy suits, sideburns and Richard Nixon.

Meanwhile in the future, the post-Last Stand world has decayed into a bleak apocalyptic landscape as a result of amazingly advanced mutant-killing robots, which have decimated the population by being too effective – not only do they kill mutants, but they kill those who recessively carry mutant genes and could give birth to mutants in the future.

Naturally, Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) must go back in time to the ‘70s and stop these robots from being developed and mass-produced, ironically by preventing the assassination of their inventor, Bolivar Trask, as it was his death that made the US government see mutants as a credible threat and commission the robots. The delightfully sinister and manipulative Trask is played by Game of Thrones’ excellent Peter Dinklage.

Indeed, the cast as a whole is excellent, even if it is large. I never saw First Class, so ‘my’ X-Men remain that classic cast of thespians including Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, et al. Happily, they’re all back after so many years, which is great to see, even if they are only given limited screen time. The exception is Hugh Jackman, who inexplicably remains the closest thing to a leading man despite having two spin-offs of his own. Of course, Wolverine’s effortlessly cool, and he’s our temporal fish out of water, so who really cares anyway?

In the past, Wolverine runs into younger versions of all his comrades and nemeses, rounding out the ensemble to include Professor X (James McAvoy), Beast (Nicholas Hoult), Magneto (Michael Fassbender) and Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence). The lines between friend and foe become blurred as Wolverine works hard to redeem the latter two whilst forcing the young Professor X to confront his demons.

Of note is the first appearance in the X-Men saga of the supersonic Quicksilver (Even Peters) who provides one of the most high-octane, humorous and entertaining sequences of the entire film, a super-fast prison break witnessed in slow motion. It’s a shame his character disappears shortly afterwards; probably because his presence would make everything else far too easy for the protagonists.

The mutant saga is skilfully interwoven with mid-20th Century US history, including the Kennedy assassination and the Vietnam War. This sets the scene for a retro globetrotting adventure from Vietnam, to the Peace Conference in Paris, to a final showdown in Washington, D.C. All in all it’s an entertaining thrill ride, which (as its main raison d’être is storyline reconciliation) may alienate newcomers to the saga. However, as I said, I haven’t seen an X-Men film since The Last Stand and I still enjoyed it. It certainly makes me want to watch both First Class and the original trilogy once again. Maybe even the Wolverine spin-offs. Maybe.
  46. Jul 14, 2014
    Grounded with stellar acting, believable characters, and sweeping special effects, Days of Future Past is the best entry of the X-Men franchise to date.
  47. R18
    Jul 13, 2014
    X-Men: Days Of Future Past is vibrant and entertaining movie, The effects are incredible and X-Men: Days Of Future Past has found the right balance, i'm excited for X-Men: Apocalypse (2016).
  48. Jul 13, 2014
    Clearly a way for the franchise to do a reset on where its universe went. The only issue now is that the actors of the original characters are all getting older so it will never be the same... regardless the movie hit all the right notes but wasn't really fantastic in any way. The sentinels didn't really remind me at all of what I remember from the cartoons.
  49. Jul 12, 2014
    Not only the best X-Men movie yet but the best Mavel movie to date and the second best superhero movie, behind The Dark Knight. Yes, it's that good. I can't wait to see X-Men: Apocalypse.
  50. Jul 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great action movie, one of the best X-Men movies for sure, very well edited and worth watching. But... so many answers not revealed!!! How did Professor Xavier come back to life? When the hell did you acquire a mutant with abilities of traveling to the past? If we can't build a sentinel robot which dances well nowadays how could we have built one that is the most destructive force on Earth in the 70's? However, you should watch it, it's worth it. Expand
  51. Jul 10, 2014
    This is the best X-Men Movie and the best comic book movie in this year. Incredible Action scenes, good acting, dialogues. The Story is very good, interesting, thrilling.
  52. Jul 8, 2014
    Very good movie, Quicksilver ... is the coolest of this movie , My favorite X-Men movies are

1 X-2
    2 X-Men: Days of Future Past
    3 X- Men: First Class
    4 X-Men
    5 The Wolverine
    6 X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    7 X-Men: The Last Stand
  53. Jul 5, 2014
    I'm very sure, the first moment after I went out from the cinema, I enjoyed it. But, when people asked me how's the movie, I said, 'I'm not satisfied. What I expected was many actions from many x-men, not few x-men and few actions.' So, it's very sad.
  54. Jul 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Michael fassbender(magneto)...james mcavoy (professor) gives the emotional TOUCH...wolverine(hugh jackman) balances The story...mystique(jennifer lawrence) Keeps the story moving...Quicksilver PRISON BREAK 1 OF THE BEST SCENE IN THE MOVIE(THE MOST TALKED)....other mutants impress us with their HEROIC fights...1st half is full of fights n action...2nd half drama...music n vfx is big plus.... worth the check...Best x-men part so far.. SATISFIED very much... must watch movie for x-men fans.. DIR.Bryan Singer Had done a great job..he has lead x-men to a new dimension...erasing the previous parts n its flaws making this franchise nearly flawless.....as the events are changed(the past)....and bryan made the audience Lead to high expectations fr X-MEN:APOCALYPSE..will he deliver???? Expand
  55. Jul 4, 2014
    terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible
  56. Jul 4, 2014
    "Days of the Future Past" has the same old humans vs. mutants plot that pretty much all the "X-Men" movies have and that's a bit tedious. However, this film does have some interesting things going on in its conclusion, so maybe the next "X-Men" movie has a different story to tell.
  57. Jul 2, 2014
    Stellar cast! Very interesting plot, though I wonder if they'll be continuing with this changed timeline or if this was a one-off. As is the norm nowadays, the special effects and visuals are amazing. Turned out better than I anticipated. A good X-Men movie.
  58. Jul 1, 2014
    Of all the X-Men movies this was by far the best. It does so well to bring a bridge between the X-Men trilogy and First Class that it seems almost as if the two are all one and the same (If that makes sense). It delivers all the things you can come to expect from an X-Men movie and it executes those moments nearly perfectly.

The downsides are major but forgivable. For one thing, there
    is some chronological overlapping within this and Origins, but that's probably to forget that that movie ever existed. So yeah, there are inconsistencies and plot holes but what are you going to do about it?

The film is overall well rounded and worthy of being part of the cinematic X-Men pantheon.
  59. Jun 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I remember when I watched the X-Men cartoons, everything impress me, the animation, the characters, was really awesome, and with the time appeared the movies, some with excellent results (''X-Men: First Class'', ''X-2'', ''X-Men''), and the rest with, mmm... well you know the story. Now is the time of X-Men: Days of Future Past, and the result is incredible!
    The story had some changes respect to the original story, but that changes aren't terrible, because the script it's well crafted, and that changes don't matter.
    The performances are extraordinary, James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender are awesome, and the rest of the cast do a great job.
    The music is really good, transmits the sensations that you can feel in the running time.
    And the visual effects, well, are better than the First Class effects, but could be better....
    And the best part of the movie is the post credits scene, WOW! I can't wait for the next chapter.
    ''X-Men Days of Future Past'' is one of my favorite movies of this year.
  60. Jun 30, 2014
    I did not really like Bryan Singer's first two X Men movies. This one I really did. It really wiped out all other X Men films from a time line stand point (except the first First Class), which is cool if they want to forget all the other movies and start fresh. Fun story. Great CGI. Humor. I need to watch it again. It might go a point higher.
  61. Jun 29, 2014
    There is so much good in this movie. So much great in this movie. But I might have to go on the record saying the Evan Peters Quicksilver storyline is the best thing in the series. Despite those stupid Carl's Jr. commercials.
  62. Jun 29, 2014
    Great script, brought to life by very fine acting performances. It boasts many exciting action scenes (particularly the slow-mo scene + the final battle happening in the two timelines simultaneously), and these scenes are expertly executed by the very talented director Bryan Singer.

However, my favorite X-Men movie is still First Class. While it didn't have great action as Days of
    Future Past, it had better drama. You could feel the struggle of the characters, particularly that of Mystique, Beast, and Magneto.

This installment also has drama; but the big number of characters, and the distribution of screen time among them, prevents their struggle to be given enough time to be compelling. I believe Xavier's arc could have had more emotional resonance to it, as well as the future Xavier and Magneto finally reconciling their differences. The final scene of Wolverine back in school was very nice, though.

I would've also appreciated if the story made more use of the background setting (Vietnam), the same way First Class used its own (Cuban Missile Crisis).

All in all, it's a very entertaining X-Men movie. It's definitely among the finest installments in the franchise, but i really feel it could have been more than that. It could have been a classic, on the same level as a certain Batman movie that exceeded all expectations back in it's day. I can't help but feel a bit disappointed.
  63. Jun 26, 2014
    "X-Men: Days of Future Past" is a pretty good film, but I would have liked it a lot more if the central conflict would have been different from the overused mutants vs humans. However, what I did like a lot was the rich and masterful use of cinematography which provided some of the best moments in the film. The CGI was top notch as well and I am really surprised that it wasn't made for 3D. Also, a good thing was the ending which set the stage for exiting and new story lines. Expand
  64. Jun 25, 2014
    Prior to watching this: I've seen all of the past X-Men films except for X-Men Wolverine. I have not read the comics but I have seen some of the cartoons.
    Review:
    Pros: Great, smart and philosophical story. Mostly great acting. Great action scenes. Best of all the X-Men films.
    Cons: Can't think of any
    4.5/5 - Good enough to pay to watch it in the cinema and perhaps buy the DVD.
  65. Jun 23, 2014
    Unlike some of the superhero movies, there is genuine emotion here. Its has some good action scenes and a fun plot but in the end its about the characters and their struggle. It makes for a compelling movie.
  66. Jun 23, 2014
    The best superhero movie I've seen; a true masterwork. This is one of the best movies I've ever seen. It is incredibly well written, and acted. The ideas are fascinating and thought provoking. It is, believe it or not, a rather deep movie. It is one of the few 'deep' movies to give a very positive and truly constructive message, but in a way that is believable and heartfelt.
  67. Jun 22, 2014
    One of the best movies in the genre released this year. Possibly, one of the best in the series. This movie will not disappoint people who loves suspense, a great story line, and to have a whole lot of fun and enjoyment. Bryan Singer has done an amazing work in directing again, combining the action, the story, and the mix of emotions very effectively.

For people criticizing the elements
    of the film such as not having enough action, no recap or story-telling of past events, and some characters such as wolverine not having enough "importance" in the story, you need to consider trying to change your perspective and how you look at the movie. Singer has tried to go back to comic style story telling. No recap of the origin and past events, unless the audience have watched the previous movies. Although, the movie is still greatly enjoyable and the stories can still be put together even though previous parts haven't been watched. That makes X-Men: Days of Future past have great originality and has been a great fluid addition to the story. The story also adds great originality. This has been the first X-Men movie in the series to add the element of time travel.

The acting is very well polished and greatly executed by excellent actors such as Jennifer Lawrence, Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, and Ian McKellen. Since the story is focused on going back in time, the movie will be focused more on the "past" selves of the characters. Everyone has an important role in this movie. If someone was missing, it won't probably be this good.

The amount of "fighting" that occurs can't really tell if a movie will be good. The focus of this movie is to stop a scientist from being killed, and a whole lot of suspense has been used to make the audience wonder of what the heroes would do, and what choices they would make. Singer focuses more on the story than the action in this movie.

Overall, X-Men: Days of Future Past has been a great addition to the series and every element of this movie has been greatly polished. The acting is marvelous, the visuals were perfect, and the story was pulling everyone in. All the expectations have been met.
  68. Jun 22, 2014
    X-Men: Days of Future Past is the best X-Men movie ever. It's big, original and has purpose. It clears the past mistakes of the franchise by promising us a brighter future. The broad cast is as good as they've always been. Unlike, this year's Godzilla, marketing of this movie promised a great movie and it matched its expectations.
  69. Jun 20, 2014
    this movie has great story great cast and great action everthing is right with the movie so i will wait to see it in blu-ray 1080p cant w8 D x-men day of future past
  70. Jun 20, 2014
    I really liked this film. The plot got me infested. I was into the characters. Wolverine was a great and had some awesome lines and fights. The Professor X older character was good I guess. The same can't be said for his younger self. He looks like one people who drives on he road for years and never cuts his hair. And I thought it's weird he has long hair in the past. Peter Dinklege was the best actor in the movie with him fitting the role nicely. The final fight was epic without spoiling it, I'll say it's awesome. Mystique was a good character for the first half, been the creative with her disguises and development. 2nd half she was a little lacking she was a little annoying as well but not enough to make her bad. The visual effects are so realistic. I honestly thought the moment with Wolverine time travel the effects were good there. Seeing this movie in Real 3D was interesting the 3D effects weren't milked like in Gravity or The Amazing Spider-Man 2. I went in to this movie excited which is strange for me sine I've never watched a X-Men movie (and I will watch them all soon) I was so surprised to that this movie win me over is great. I really loved this movie and if I would I would watch it again in theaters. I recommend this to any fan of X-Men. Expand
  71. Jun 20, 2014
    I like Jennifer Lawrence, but as Mystique? Nay. Rebecca Romijn will always be Mystique. As for the rest of the movie, while it had some sweet spots, I felt the plot was convoluted and a fair bit unrealistic...even for a film based upon comic heroes.
  72. Jun 18, 2014
    A great movie. Although I don't like X-men franchise, which i always consider inferior to Sam Raimi's "spider-man trilogy", Days of Future Past absolutely satisfied me as a fantasy, action blockbuster and didn't make me regret having spent my money on buying ticket. Two worlds - one in the future and one in the past collide as two parallel wars break out determining the fate of mutants. The film remained funny though, especially in the first half when Quick Silver attempted to help Magneto break out of prison. Expand
  73. Jun 16, 2014
    The Movie is Good but not good enough. I know X-Men series is great one but this time they are waisted somehow. They waisted too much money but X-Men Wolverine is Best one in Series. I hope they will not waist their money next time.
  74. Jun 16, 2014
    Probably the best X-men movie to date. If you're not really into the whole Marvel Universe, you might not get as much out of the movie as the really fans, because you'll be missing stuff. Good action, impressive CGI, if you're into Marvel, you shouldn't miss this movie.
    If you want to see just one Marvel movie this year, odds are that this is the one to see.
  75. Jun 15, 2014
    X-Men: DOFP is by far the best X-Men movie of them all, and X2 is a pretty hard film to beat. It blends both generations of casts together perfectly, even though the original cast has very little screen time, except for Wolverine of course. It has the perfect amount of homages to the X-Men series and weave them into uncanny action and somewhat complex detailed plot.
  76. Jun 15, 2014
    Great story line and developed nicely. Maybe a little dragging but still the best story line of any X-Men movie so far. And as all of my family and friends and family have stated QUICKSILVER is worth the price of admission! Go see it!
  77. Jun 14, 2014
    I also fell asleep during this movie. It kept me entertained for about 10 minutes, but the rest was confusing and boring. I don't recommend this movie.
  78. BKM
    Jun 13, 2014
    The use of visual effects and action sequences is so excessive that it threatens to bring the entire film down before it even gets started. Thankfully the cast, particularly McAvoy, Fassbender and Lawrence, do a fine job of providing an emotional core to balance things out. The result is a satisfying, if not spectacular, popcorn flick.
  79. Jun 13, 2014
    Easily the best X-men film thanks to its focus on story development and setting up what looks to be a total rebirth of the series. From the word go I was utterly immersed in the story, at no point was I pining for more action or story development. Considering the amount of characters involved I expected some friction and complication but at no point did any of the chars get in each others way, the synergy was perfect. Expand
  80. Jun 13, 2014
    Movie inline with comic books and writers have finally fixed the damage done by X men last stand and last horrible wolverine movie.3D effects and acting and story is great.Can't wait to see the X men apocalypse movie.
  81. Jun 13, 2014
    I saw clawns of bones, Blink and Bishop too. I see them figh together, for me and you. And I think to myself, what a wonderful X-world I see Quicksilver on blue, And eyes on white. The bold blessed man, The dark phoenix alive. And I think to myself, What a wonderful X world. The anger of Magneto, So strong in the sky. Are also on Raven, Of mutants going by, I see my childhood coming back.
    Saying, "How are you?"
    I´m really saying,
    Fox, I love you".
  82. Jun 12, 2014
    Great movie in almost every aspect they did!

The story is very smart (specially for a time travel movie), acting is good, actions scenes are well shoot and the writing is pretty good has well, dialogue feels natural... there is plenty of things to appreciate in terms of production, like the make-up for Raven/Mystique, the effects for the action scenes and the scale of what's at stake
    carries a weight that does convince the audience.

Maybe the action was less impressive than in other X-Men movies, I don't know what fans think of this but judging by the response everybody seem to be happy with the end result and so am I; I recommend this one if you want a good super-hero movie.
  83. Jun 10, 2014
    With an actual story and some effort with acting, it's an entertaining yet thoughtful film with all the necessary twists and turns an action movie should have.
  84. Jun 9, 2014
    BEST X MEN MOVIE SO FAR..............GREAT ACTING ESPECIALLY BY JAMES McAvoy AND HUGH JACKMEN......GOOD CREDITS AND EXCELLENT APPEARANCES.......MUST SEEE
  85. Jun 7, 2014
    I enjoyed this one just as much as X-Men: First Class. If you liked the first one, you won't be disappointed. All around great writing, directing, and acting.
  86. Jun 7, 2014
    I am an avid watcher of all the X-Men films. I grew up watching the first three and my love for them has retained through to my twenties. Without being too verbose, the film has a stunning cast who deliver with every scene. I enjoyed the story immensely; from the dialogue to the gripping action scenes. Definitely my favourite film in the franchise. I've seen it three times in the cinema and have no doubt I'll see it a fourth! A wonderful, exhilarating watch. Go and see it! Now! Expand
  87. Jun 7, 2014
    I am a big fan of superhero movies, but even i can admit that the market is getting very crowded, nonetheless this does not halt my anticipation for each super-powered movie that comes out. This movie once again heads back in time to see Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy take the helm once again as the feuding main duo in a drama filled performance that will leave you feeling for each character and their own internal struggles. I feel this X-Men film is the best so far, with a good balance of action and story to keep it from becoming the bore fest it easily could have been, my only real criticism is that we didn't get much development, if any at all from the future characters themselves, but in fairness that was not the point in this film. It is very enjoyable and a must see for fans of superhero movies and also has enough story and heart to interest those who are not a fan of the genre. Expand
  88. Jun 7, 2014
    This movie was all over the place. It felt like a ginormous retcon that only ended at the same place we started all those years ago.....except Wolverine has a bit of grey in his hair while everyone else somehow looks exactly the same as they did in the first movie.

A lot of the mutant powers werent shown very well and were tweaked in order to fit whatever grand idea Singer had in his
    head. From Bishop's absorption power being turned into a glorified super soaker to QuickSilver being more of a time-controller than a mutant who could run faster than sound. A small gripe that slightly cheapened some scenes for me.

The plot, pacing, and characterization were what really brought the movie down for me. A lot of it was just sub-par.
  89. Jun 6, 2014
    I'll be the first to admit, I'm not a big fan of the X-Men series. This film though is an exception. It has an incredible cast of actors, from up-and-comers like Omar Sy and James McAvoy to veterans like Patrick Stewart or Sir Ian McKellen. The film also a great balance between political intrigue and fun superhero action. That is why I believe this is not only the best superhero film of all time, but also one of the best political thrillers of all time. I give Days Of Future Past a 9 out of 10 stars. Expand
  90. Jun 6, 2014
    When I first heard Bryan Singer was coming back to direct the next X-Men movie, I instantly was overwhelmed with excitement. The franchise: to say the least, has struggled without his guidance. Many saw X-Men: The Last Stand as a disappointing end to the original trilogy, it was clear to many that 20th Century Fox didn’t know who to bring in to fill Singer’s shoes. Then X-Men Origins: Wolverine happened, and it seemed like the franchise would never return to the former glory it was at X-2. Then X-Men: First Class was released 2 years later, telling the origins of Professor X, Magneto and Mystique from the original trilogy, as well as introducing its own set of characters. While it impressed fans and critics, giving audiences hope that the franchise was returning to its former glory, many were confused towards the canon it had with the original trilogy, Wolverine had a cameo halfway through the film, making fans wonder how this movie and the others were linked.
    Days of Future Past answers some major fanbase questions that have been asked forever, in an excellent way, giving a clear timeline of events that all audiences can understand. A timeline that not only connects the past (Creation of the X-Men in First Class) and the present (Following the regrets Wolverine faces for the losses he suffered since joining the team in the original movies), but also introducing a whole new future universe for the X-Men franchise, which unfortunately, wasn’t explored a minuscule as much as it should’ve been, with the excellent choices made that built on the universe.
    The movie begins in the future, in a Terminator (post Judgement Day) looking world, as Trask Industries (ever notice Trask can be jumbled around to spell Stark? Iron Man doesn’t believe in equal mutant rights… philanthropist indeed) continue to send Sentinels after mutant and human kind alike, destroying the world. The X-Men, much less in number than they once were, have only one hope, to send a mutant back in time, and stop Trask Industries from gaining Mystique’s DNA, which is how they made their Sentinels so unstoppable, as they adapt to every mutant’s power that they face, in the way Mystique can shape shift. As Wolverine has a healing factor, they believe he is the only one whose mind can survive the journey to a key event, stopping Mystique from assassinating Bolivar Trask, which leads to the organisation eventually capturing her and using her DNA to build the unstoppable Sentinels that are wiping out the X-Men of the future. To do so Wolverine must reunite Charles and Erik, at a time when they hate each other the most.
    With the cast from First Class reprising their roles, once again delivering top notch performances that suit Patrick Stewart’s Professor X and Ian McKellen’s Magneto, but also bringing new elements of their characters to the table, such as Charles' depression and neglect of his powers and the responsibility he has when Logan comes to him from the future, begging for his help. With the support of Quicksilver (despite the cringe worthy costume, the character had a great persona, he was one of the coolest parts of the film) they free Magneto and go to stop Mystique from assassinating Trask. From there, the film is non-stop breath taking action, and I wouldn’t want to ruin anything else for you. However, I will say that the X-Men franchise is now on an open road thanks to the events of the film, anything is possible from here on out.
    Bolivar Trask, played by Peter Dinklage (mostly known for his role as Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones) brings an excellent performance to how Trask is: cold hearted and bitter towards mutants. He demonstrates how his life is consumed with the fear of mutants he as, but also admiring their very existence, and that he simply wants to protect humanity from the next step of its own evolution. Although, if anyone steals the movie, it has to be Jenifer Lawrence’s performance as Mystique. She shows a clear understanding of who the character is, and the dilemmas she faces throughout the whole film, with the desire to protect herself as well as her kind, and questioning who can help her achieve this successfully between Charles and Erik, and also who she feels more for. She becomes the main focus of the events that take place in DOFP and earns the amount of screen time the character deserves for the deep complexity she has. James McAvoy’s depressed Xavier makes the audience see the character in a way they never have before, enraged with the losses Erik caused him, taking his best friend along with his ability to walk if he doesn’t take a medication Beast designed to help him walk. This costs him the use of his powers and in the end, Charles has to make the choice as to what is more important. McAvoy also adds to the brilliant writing the film has with his captivating performance that shows when Charles Xavier became Professor X.
    One major issue I found with the film was that everything in the future is extremely underused, so much potential development was cut so the story of the past could be focused on. Which makes sense, a film can only be so long, and the past is the major plot point that Logan needed to change, but the problem is that this still leaves fans with multiple questions. How did Charles come back? How did he contact Magneto? How did they discover Trask Industries’ plan, and agree to work together? What happened to all the other X-Men in this future? Bringing Xavier back was never even fully explained, he came back to life in the post credits scene of The Last Stand, and Logan found out at the very end of The Wolverine, but what they fail to explain is how Charles was able to come back. This was something the movies had been hinting at forever, that eventually got swept under a rug. A whole new cast of team members is introduced, including Bishop, Warpath and Blink (Bishop being one of my favourite X-Men, this was obviously very frustrating the moment the movie ended) but these characters get such little development. They’re introduced at the start, fighting the Sentinels the past created, clearly struggling. As Wolverine gets sent back in time, all the future gets connected to are the moments that Shadowcat struggles to hold a link between him and the past, (also, how did she get those powers? That was never explained either. I read it was to do with the Rogue scenes that got cut from the film) but I really wish that we could’ve seen more of the future team, without the development the past or present cast members had, they feel like extremely two dimensional characters. Which, in context with the comics, they certainly aren’t.
    This doesn’t mean they give bad performances, Ian and Patrick are as good as ever, along with all previous cast members who return. It just means the film itself never intended to focus on this part of the universe, it’s just used to introduce what happened to the X-Men after The Last Stand in a way that won’t take 3 additional movies to explain. While the exposition feels rushed, it delivers a large amount of information in one go that everyone can follow. The events aren’t made overly complex, even kids would probably understand what’s happening. So, while the future had potentially great narratives which were neglected, the movie has to be applauded for the way in which it introduced what became of the X-Men in the future to the audience.
    Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine isn’t just a badass in this movie, he’s also an extremely relatable character for the audience. As we see what he sees, he becomes much easier to connect with, an understanding of his motives is easily gained. The audience sees the world he came from, and, like Logan, they know what’s at stake when he’s sent back in time, and why he’s so persistent with getting the help of those who he was told to. While others, like Charles, struggle to understand it. This makes the film much more suspenseful, because it makes you really want to see Logan succeed, because you’ve seen the events that took place in the past the way he sees them, before being thrown back to try and change it from ever happening.
    *SPOILER PARAGRAPH*
    I briefly mentioned earlier that DOFP puts the X-Men franchise on an open road, I wasn’t kidding. Literally anything after the events of First Class (Summing up, this includes the trilogy, Origins: Wolverine and The Wolverine) now never happened. When Wolverine returns to the future, he sees so many X-Men who were once gone now back that it’ll almost certainly blow your mind. As DOFP ends, the question on everybody’s mind is “What happens next?” hopefully you stuck around, because if you did you saw Apocalypse (En Sabah Nur as he’s known at the time) in Egypt, building one of the pyramids, with four horsemen beside him, and an uncountable amount of Egyptians bowing to him. I honestly saw this coming. The post credits scene was just The Avengers all over again, as Fox clearly want to compete with Marvel Studios, but I certainly thought he looked awesome. With Bryan Singer directing once more, we’re almost certainly in for a treat, and I can’t wait to see my favourite X-Men villain on the big screen come 2016.
    *Conclusion*
    Many are calling DOFP the best superhero movie since The Dark Knight, I’m inclined to agree. While I love everything the MCU makes, they’re still diving into serious territory with the release of Captain America: The Winter Soldier and DOFP instantly returned the former glory the X-Men movies were once at when X-2 was first released. Marvel Studios’ movies are always certainly action packed and continue to be visual spectacles, but this is the deepest story arc in a superhero movie for a long time that has managed to genuinely exceed the expectations of critics and audiences alike. The X-Men franchise has certainly caught our attention once more, giving a taste at the potential the movies now once again have. I hope X-Men: Apocalypse continues to give the quality DOFP did, packing a huge punch, to the point it slaps audiences in the face as the credits roll.

Rating: 9/10
  91. Jun 6, 2014
    It is clear that the X-Men Film Series took a downward spiral after Bryan Singer left the director’s chair for similar, yet less successful, endeavors. It wasn't until 2011 that Matthew Vaughn sparked some new life into the series, by telling a rousing origin story that almost felt like a reboot to the franchise. Re-enter Singer, who brings the best of both his films and Vaughn’s “X-Men: First Class” by; combining the dark, seedy plotting of his first two movies with energized period stylings of "First Class". All this is achieved, while blending the fantastic cast of both films via an inventive time traveling plot that surprisingly works on all levels. Based on the comic book story-line of the same name; Wolverine is sent to the past by Kitty Pride (since when could she do that) in an attempt to change history and prevent an event that results in the Sentinel program; a program that dooms both humans and mutants. Little (and sometimes noticeable) characterizations that contradicts the previous films does bother the geek inside me, and I’m sure many can agree; but I’m willing to forgive and forget this time around. By incorporating socio-political topics (typical of X-Men) with an intriguing sci-fi premise "Days of Future Past" does far more than just entertain. But what I liked most was the balance of characters on display and the performances behind them. Whether it’s James McAvoy’s world-weary younger Xavier, Michael Fassbender’s morally disturbed younger Magneto or their introspective older selves (Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen, respectively); the cast members bask in whatever limelight the film affords them. Though I’m still not convinced of Jennifer Lawrence’s rendition of Mystique, I appreciate what the writers were doing with character’s arc. “Days of Future” is fast, smart; most of our characters are well developed and effectively reintroduced; even lesser characters get their fleeting moments to shine. The sparing action sequences were well staged; and one thing I always admired about Singer was his way of defining the characters' abilities through elaborately staged set pieces. Kudos to that Quicksilver slow-mo scene. The dystopian future and vintage period setting was brought to life by nice production designs and the visual effects dazzle unlike any other X-Men film. It’s up there as one of the finest X-Men films (second only to “X2: X-Men United”) and certainly one of the better superhero films in recent times. Entertainment is guaranteed! Expand
  92. Jun 6, 2014
    actually, this movie was quite different then before, this movie has breathtaking graphic and the story line is not bad enough, the acting of actor and actress was good and marvelous, the action is very good too thought, this movie was the best of the year for me, I like this
  93. Jun 5, 2014
    I get those who prefer to say this movie was not perfect or lacked something, but the truth is Hollywood never putted its hands on a such rich and wide story. I mean, of course for this X-Men movie, with time travel it is to expect more. More encounters, more dilemmas about the quantum physics involved, I was expecting all that plus a more spread participation between the characters. The elements are all there but, the thing is, maybe this time, as usually happens the plot was managed by suits, re-managed by the suits bosses and so on. It is not a masterpiece, could be in the hand of a Kubrick, - any other name here would be a blasphemy but... - a Spielberg, a Zemeckis. I'd love to see, for one time some risk being taken. But, I guess Bryan Singer is the only guy not up to risks at this point. It's a shame, the story sure should be better explored. Expand
  94. Jun 5, 2014
    Esse filme simplesmente superou qualquer expectativa, foi muito mais do que o imaginado, simplesmente épico. Vejo uma trama totalmente mais envolvente do que a feita em "Os Vingadores", da rival Disney. Estava muito preocupado com essa produção e fiquei mais ainda quando foi anunciado o próximo filme "Apocalipse", porem já estou tranquilizado e estou ansioso para o ano de 2016 (além do novo filme dos x-men, terá grandes outros de super-heróis que iram estrear, como "Batman x Superman: Down of Justice", "Captain American 3" e outros mais!

Resumindo: O melhor filme já feito baseado em super-heróis de HQ's, renovador e totalmente épico, mas deveria ter mais hora para recolocar os furos dos filmes passados.
  95. Jun 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Definitely the BEST X-men movie put out so far! After the first 30-45 minutes of the movie i found myself rubbing my eyes, yawning and looking at my watch often. I swear I must 1 of 3 Black guys who think Halle Berry is the worst Storm ever. I mean damn the only thing the got right with Halle Berry playing Storm is that she is Black! I actually cheered when the Sentinels killed her. Its not too many things I can point that is wrong with this movie other than...1. Quicksilver looked corny as hell (but he was pretty dope) 2. Bishop was undersold. 3. The Sentinels didn't say anything...(in the comics and on the show they always said mutant detected) 4. THe Sentinels looked like the Destroyer from the first Thor movie. 5. Where the HELL was Scarlet Witch (maybe they are saving her for the Avengers 3 movie where they will have Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver join the Avengers). There are more things i find wrong with this movie but I guess by now you get the point! Days of Future Past was by far the best X-men movie but I sincerely hope Fox gives up the rights to X-men or better yet at least collaborate with Marvel Studios on the next X-men movie, seeing as how the Movie will more than likely have Apocalypse (X-men The Age of Apocalypse) which might introduce Archangel. Somewhere along the along the lines I got side tracked...oh well back to Days of future past! Like I said before X-men Days of Future Past was not a horrible movie but damn it was not great neither. Expand
  96. Jun 4, 2014
    great movie with fantastic plot and innovation of storytelling, also the act of Jennifer Jackman and James are amazing, and the graphic is much better than previous, awesome Marvel movie.
  97. Jun 3, 2014
    Best X-men yet. An intriguing plot, likable characters, awesome action and a small dose of humor make this the best flick of the summer so far. The acting was terrific, with great performances from Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, Hugh Jackman, Peter Dinklage and Evan Peters. Speaking of Peters, Quicksilver was a big surprise and the highlight of the movie, eliminating all earlier complaints about his design. DOFP leaves a tough act to follow for the rest of the summer. Must-Watch Expand
  98. Jun 3, 2014
    I thought this film was hugely overrated. After The Winter Solder I was really looking forward to this movie, but it really didn't deliver for me. For an action movie it was lacking a lot of action and the story didn't really hold my attention. I've seen a LOT of superhero films and I think the genre is getting stale, The Winter Solder was brilliant but this is just another superhero film that doesn't add anything to the tired genre. Edge of Tomorrow is a MUCH better film, I would recommend that ahead of this. Expand
  99. Jun 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really like it. I was in my seat and the next thing you know it was over. My thoughts are, does this make all the other movies now obsolete? Does the time traveling that got us to this point now moot? I loved it either way and am glad that Jean and the Professor are back from the dead. Expand
  100. Jun 3, 2014
    The movie was great. It was a pleasure to watch it. The cast is amazing and the plot is original and exciting. The two hours were absolutely entertaining.

1. Reviewed by: Steven Rea
    May 23, 2014
    Ambitious, even audacious, the movie's mix of action and for-devotees-only intrigue can overwhelm, but there are moments of sheer virtuosity, too.
    He’s (Singer) reborn — deft, elegant, spring-heeled — in X-Men: Days of Future Past. The special effects don’t bog him down: They lift the movie to a surreal and more emotional dimension.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    May 22, 2014
    I couldn’t follow many of the ins and outs of the time-travel scenario, and I’m not altogether sure that the filmmakers could, either. It doesn’t really matter. It’s enough that the movie is fun. We shouldn’t also expect it to make sense.