Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: May 23, 2014
Universal acclaim based on 2011 Ratings
1,765
Watch Now
quincytheodoreMay 23, 2014
With such abundance of talents, it's a surprise their powers are not throwing award statues at each other. An all-star ensemble delivers one of the better and more captivating superhero movie in recent time, despite the use of a ratherWith such abundance of talents, it's a surprise their powers are not throwing award statues at each other. An all-star ensemble delivers one of the better and more captivating superhero movie in recent time, despite the use of a rather mystifying time travel plot. They do a remarkable job of keeping the audience invested to the characters, each with brimming personality to ensure there's never a dull moment. Visually, the movie is captivating, its contrast tone bridges the colorful 70s and severely bleak future impeccably. It also appropriately utilizes good humor throughout the seemingly melancholy plot.

X-Men: Days of Future Past is an ambitious movie, it brings the newer cast from First Class as well as the older trilogy, plus Hugh Jackman. The time traveling gimmick could be a puzzling one, and in some occasions there are tricky twists that rely on heavy expositions. However, the movie pulls it off quite neatly with balanced pacing. The complexity doesn't divert the focus away from relationship of characters, most of which are always in peril. Many of the cast are capable to lead a movie by their own, but the movie doesn't feel bloated because they are so many involved. Director Bryan Singer cleverly seams the characters' tales together; the present chemistry produces engaging interaction between them.

The bulk of the story occurs in 1973, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender and Jennifer Lawrence take most of the spotlight. They perform admirably, each showcasing emotional baggage and entwined history together. Hugh Jackman fits into the party fairly well, he has been Wolverine for so long, he just naturally meshes together with the younger X-Men. Peter Dinklage provides a unique antagonist. X-Men movies are notoriously filled with military men as villains, it's nice to see someone more dynamic and with less reliance to violence.

Effects are done beautifully. The future battles are spectacular, not to mention the choreography gracefully combines the mutants' power into the fray. I personally like the intricacy of Blink's ability which allows her to use multiple portals. Her scenes are few, but very well done. The slow motion effect looks wonderful and melee combat is performed effectively, especially Mystique's acrobatic dances. There's lingering retro ambiance for 70s, a simple touch of familiarity. One minor blemish is the lighting for future setting might be a tad too dark at times to fully appreciate the graphic.

The prevalent flaw of time travel gimmick is the impact actions supposedly have on the future, this movie is no exception. There are a few instances where characters act rather brashly just in case it may hopefully change the future, a couple decisions are questionable as well, it's hard to believe experienced mutants with special powers would do impulsive action. It also tries to add prejudice theme, but seeing Jennifer Lawrence, even with blue skin, having self-confident issue is like seeing a supermodel complaining she's fat. All the flaws are just little hindrance, they barely affect the gripping performance of the talents.

X-Men: Days of Future Past is arguably the best of the franchise, it will entertain viewers with exquisite acting, finely pace story and delightfully likeable characters.
victorhjklMay 23, 2014
This is the best X-Men movie so far, the story is great, the cast is incredible, the action scenes are amazing. This movie exceeded my expectations and I'm sure it will surprise you from the beginning to the end... and, I have a newThis is the best X-Men movie so far, the story is great, the cast is incredible, the action scenes are amazing. This movie exceeded my expectations and I'm sure it will surprise you from the beginning to the end... and, I have a new favorite movie now... Expand
KivaMay 23, 2014
Best X-men Movie Ever. It has everything. Just watch it. Great characters and the most intriguing plot. One of the best films of this year and surely the best Marvel film. Watch it !
Dkay7777777Jun 1, 2014
As a huge x-men fan growing up, I liked this movie a lot; however, I didn't think it was AS great as people are proclaiming it to be. It's a good story, but it could be difficult for younger viewers to follow. Also, the movie does deviateAs a huge x-men fan growing up, I liked this movie a lot; however, I didn't think it was AS great as people are proclaiming it to be. It's a good story, but it could be difficult for younger viewers to follow. Also, the movie does deviate from the source material quote a bit, but that's not a big deal.
Also worth nothing is that there really isn't that much action in it. That's not to say that the lack of action makes it any less of a movie, but it's just something to note before going into watching this movie.
Overall, this is a really good movie.
ShMaLeBMay 24, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am not all that familiar with X-Men, but this movie was AWESOME! I really liked the time element to it and the best part of the movie is when young Xavier meets old Xavier through Wolverine's head. The action was great, the ending had sort of an Inception feel to it, with multiple climaxes going on at once. My only gripe was that they tried to tie in the Kennedy assassination and the Cuban Missile Crisis into X-Men lore. I found that to be a little cheesy. The sentinels were awesome to watch, and the movie is polished, fun, and entertaining. 9/10 Expand
alejandro77131May 26, 2014
DoFP was an amazing movie. It will definitely be put down as one of the best super hero movies. By far better than all other X-Men movies including First Class. This movie is a must see in theatres. But, I recommend catching up on past X-MenDoFP was an amazing movie. It will definitely be put down as one of the best super hero movies. By far better than all other X-Men movies including First Class. This movie is a must see in theatres. But, I recommend catching up on past X-Men movies if you haven't or else the plot could be confusing. DoFP was exciting, funny at the right moments, and had the right amount of action all super hero movies should have. Go see it in theatres before it's to late! I know I'm going back! Expand
lobessMay 26, 2014
By far the best X-Men movie with smart plot, genius story lines to tie up loose ends! Love, love, love it! And of course, Mystic, was AMAZING! Biting my nails and covering my eyes with suspenseful thrill! Fun, fun!
DalekOct 3, 2014
Fantastic film, I really enjoyed First Class and was eager to see the sequel as soon as it ended. I'm not a huge X-Men fan, and haven't really followed it that much in terms of comics and its previous films. I have seen X-men 1, 2 and 3. ButFantastic film, I really enjoyed First Class and was eager to see the sequel as soon as it ended. I'm not a huge X-Men fan, and haven't really followed it that much in terms of comics and its previous films. I have seen X-men 1, 2 and 3. But I haven't seen the Wolverine films.

Days of Future Past is very entertaining throughout the entire film, very well done and enjoyable. Although the storyline isn't complex the action is where the heart of the film is, and I enjoyed every second of the film.
NathonasMay 30, 2014
The Great: My favorite part of the film is the speed mutant. It was just so cool to watch him in action. But if he had stuck around for the rest of the film, it would be too easy.

Great ending as well - we get to see all the changes in the

Great ending as well - we get to see all the changes in the timeline, and showing Jean and Scott as a small tribute and connection to the original X-men trilogy was nice. But most importantly, the older timeline is still remembered by Logan; so the previous timeline we saw still holds some meaning.

The good: Great humor - especially with Wolverine. Great action. The young versions of the heroes were handled very well - like making Young Charles a drunk / druggie, so he has something to overcome if he wants to save the mutants. They did a good job with building the characters of the three key heroes - Mystique, Xavier, and Magneto. The chemistry between Fassbender and McAvoy was great just like in "X-men: First Class", and I liked how even though they reconcile, Magneto still decides to do things his own way and act as the villain.

The bad: very formulaic story with tons of exposition. Like Young Charles not wanting to help Logan and then agreeing after a 10 second shot of Raven's picture. Or the X-men in real time being attacked right when Logan is about to succeed in his mission. The plot was incredibly predictable and everything is done by the Hollywood formula. Also, some of the character decisions (primarily Magneto) were pretty stupid - if he had just talked to Mystique after they stopped the assassination, there would be no point for the escalation that followed.

Overall though a very solid entry in the superhero genre and the X-men series.
TheApplegnomeOct 19, 2014
X-Men: Days of Future Past is the best X-Men movie to date, and it totally broke my expectations!

This new X-Men movie is so incredible, there’s so much unique and awesome things that blew my mind of when I saw this film. The return of Brian Singer to the X-Men franchise totally is the reason why this movie is so great, which means that The Last Stand could have been great if he had direct it. Days of Future Past is one heck of a movie, and I never got bored because it’s so damn well made and entertaining! The opening scene is incredible, and both the CGI and the actors are all superb.

X-Men: Days of Future Past is the best sci-fi movie of the year (to date), and one important aspect is the awesome soundtrack from John Ottman, truly a wonderful soundtrack! The best thing is of course the story, they are changing the past for a better future, and the result of that is so great, because we don’t know how much have changed after the events in DoFP! That’s why I can’t wait until the next X-Men film! There are some downsides like vague CGI at some places, and it got a bit confusing with the time travel, but it’s still an awesome movie!

This is one of the best films of 2014!

X-Men: Days of Future Past get a 9/10
chwApr 23, 2015
This was a good movie. The Sentinels were perfect. The only reason that the movie wasn't perfect was because the plot was extremely similar to Terminator 2. It wasn't a straight on copy, but anyone who has seen Terminator 2 before seeing thisThis was a good movie. The Sentinels were perfect. The only reason that the movie wasn't perfect was because the plot was extremely similar to Terminator 2. It wasn't a straight on copy, but anyone who has seen Terminator 2 before seeing this will know that they're very similar. Expand
f3lipzMay 25, 2014
The Best X-MEN Movie !!!
The action scenes are epic and memorable. With great performances, Incredible special effects and a Spectacular script !!!
X-men is the best marvel movie forever!
SimpleReviewzMay 24, 2014
Marvel, man. They have been on a roll! They are pumping out movies nonstop, and in return, money is raining on their heads. Heck, they're now the highest grossing movie franchise EVER now! However, all this doesn't mean that they rush theirMarvel, man. They have been on a roll! They are pumping out movies nonstop, and in return, money is raining on their heads. Heck, they're now the highest grossing movie franchise EVER now! However, all this doesn't mean that they rush their movies, nor do they act like they just want money for their movies. They put such care and attention into their films for all their devoted fans. Guess what? X-Men Days of Future Past is just like the other Marvel films in terms of quality, if not better! At the core of every Marvel movie, their true genre is action. One-on-one fight scenes with hero and villain, countless numbers of structures falling down, explosions (not to a Michael Bay degree though), it's awesome action. So of course, DoFP has amazing action with all the X-Men. I loved seeing their mutant powers come to life and then watching in awe as they kicked ass. Speaking of the characters and their powers, all of them are truly brought to life. While the acting is nothing revolutionary, everybody still does a fine job. I especially liked Michael Fassbender's performance as Magneto. He really acts like a menace sometimes (which he will do more than often in the movie), and there's not a better pick for a character that's supposed to be cruel than him. The title of the movie gives you some hints about the storyline, right? Well, what happens is that the world is getting eaten up by the Sentinels, and they are still trying to kill every mutant they can find. The X-Men soon figure out someone must go into the past with Kitty's powers to change what happened. I will not lie, you will have to pay attention most of the time. It wasn't a problem for me, though. While it's not the most original Marvel storyline you've ever heard, it's still interesting enough to keep you entertained. In terms of flaws, I really couldn't detect any. Does that mean it's a 10 out of 10 masterpiece (12 Years a Slave is considered that score imo)? No. Yet still, DoFP is still gonna be one of best Marvel movies you've seen. All these positives really add up into being a great time at the movies. It's worth it. GO SEE IT! Expand
KaleBishopMay 31, 2014
The movie is incredibly sexy especially with Hugh Jackman and Jeniffer Lawrence showing off their bodies in ways kids wouldn't understand. If you think about the plot... Don't even start thinking about it. It's mindblowing since it used theThe movie is incredibly sexy especially with Hugh Jackman and Jeniffer Lawrence showing off their bodies in ways kids wouldn't understand. If you think about the plot... Don't even start thinking about it. It's mindblowing since it used the element of time. The movie has a good mix of drama and action, just what I would expect from Bryan Singer, the director of the Xmen movies. For Marvel fans out there this movie is a ****
Overall, it was a great movie for everyone especially the kiddies who enjoy action (just guide them correctly when they start seeing fleshy bodies).
fulvio108May 26, 2014
This is the best X-Men movie. Great history to reboot the franchise. Amazing Action Scenes, great history.... great characters. My favorite X-Men movie ever.
DarthPreampJun 23, 2014
The best superhero movie I've seen; a true masterwork. This is one of the best movies I've ever seen. It is incredibly well written, and acted. The ideas are fascinating and thought provoking. It is, believe it or not, a rather deep movie. ItThe best superhero movie I've seen; a true masterwork. This is one of the best movies I've ever seen. It is incredibly well written, and acted. The ideas are fascinating and thought provoking. It is, believe it or not, a rather deep movie. It is one of the few 'deep' movies to give a very positive and truly constructive message, but in a way that is believable and heartfelt. Expand
benoskiOct 4, 2014
I would have given a 11 for this, but since the score goes up to 10, that's what I went with. I ony can describe this film in one word: Terrific. I was never really a huge X-Men fan, but because the acting, story and pacing were all wellI would have given a 11 for this, but since the score goes up to 10, that's what I went with. I ony can describe this film in one word: Terrific. I was never really a huge X-Men fan, but because the acting, story and pacing were all well done, it might make me watch the ones that I haven't watched, then re-watch the whole series ready for Apocalypse in 2016. Expand
TheChaser1985Jun 12, 2015
I was pleasantly surprised with this movie. Very entertaining, wonderfully done and was a great way to mix together the two cast. Love it and loved the ending.
drlowdonFeb 10, 2015
The X-Men movies have been a mixed bag in terms of quality but, for me at least, Days of Future Past is the best of the bunch. The time travel elements make as little sense as they do in any other movie but, thanks to the fantastic cast andThe X-Men movies have been a mixed bag in terms of quality but, for me at least, Days of Future Past is the best of the bunch. The time travel elements make as little sense as they do in any other movie but, thanks to the fantastic cast and superb action sequences, that doesn't stop proceedings from being thoroughly entertaining from start to finish. A must see for X-Men and comic book fans. Expand
MudgetMay 30, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Marvel is really on top of their film game, with a great Captain America, a decent Spiderman, and now a truly excellent X-Men, all in the same few months. And if you think about it, they are veritably ruling the film world. Look at the ensemble of actors in this movie. Where other than a Robert Altman movie are you going to find a cast of people together like Ian McKellan, Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Jennifer Lawrence, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Ellen Page - the list goes on and on. What's more remarkable is that this cast works deftly together in a film that could have been a sloppy disaster. Time-travel movies when done right are some of the most intriguing movies ever - but if done wrong, they are excruciating. Luckily, Days of Future Past gets it all right, and the only drawback is all the expository, supporting dialogue the audience must therefore endure along the way in order to understand it. The bad guys in this movie are truly bad. If the Sentinels show up, they are going to kill you, and this is established right away in one of the most exciting superhero/villain fight scenes in any comic book movie to date. Seeing Colossus become full metal at the same time Sunspot flames on at the same time Iceman (finally) goes and stays full Iceman - a very cool moment. Unfortunately even these powerhouses are no match for the Sentinels. The only option is for newly-introduced (but now regular X-Man) Blink to keep them moving around until Shadowcat (with a future developed time/spirit manipulation power) can send newly-introduced Bishop just far enough into the past to warn the team that the Sentinels are approaching - so they can not be there when the Sents arrive. This is layer one. Layer two then is this first group combining efforts with the other group (Storm, Wolverine, Prof. X, Magneto) to send someone way back in time to before the Sentinels were even created. This task falls to Wolverine and off he goes into the second layer (the 1970s, pre-Sentinels) in an effort to stop Mystique from.... wow. The more I write the more I realize how convoluted this plot is. It's like trying to explain to a non-viewer what's going on in Game of Thrones. Pretty soon you just throw your hands up and say, "You know what? Just watch it!" And so that's what I'll do. What works in this film is the excellent acting, the dark plot, the nearly-full roster of Superheroes, and the best scene in an X-Men movie since Nightcrawler's debut in X2 (hint: Quicksilver, and anyone dealing with a Quicksilver or Flash-type character in the future must now contend with this scene setting a certain bar for excellence). There are a few disappointments. Anna Paquin will show up as Rogue for a second at the end, and I understand her deleted scene(s) will make it onto a DVD/Bluray version. But for this primary showing, she's notably and confusingly completely absent. The action scenes in this movie range from the terrifying Sentinel attacks to the now-typical "huge Magneto scene" - this time with him moving an entire sports stadium, to a lot of smaller scenes spread throughout - and they all work. The special effects are fantastic and nothing feels gratuitous (except when they are going for 100% gratuitous, as in the Quicksilver scene). The story holds together and the dialogue, while mostly expository, is good. It's my personal favorite of the series so far (you might be surprised to know that The Last Stand was my favorite until now - typically the one everyone hates - but I'm a sucker for new heroes and villains showing up, and X3 brought a lot of new faces into the series - even if Juggernaut was a huge letdown - the Phoenix climax was epic). Days of Future Past ups the ante on everything and makes me hungry for the next installment. I think they're being smart with this series - phasing some actors out and others in - because this bodes well for this being a series with a real lifespan well beyond where we're at now. If you're new to the series, by all means don't start with this one. Start at the beginning. But if you're already an X-Fan, you're most likely going to love this movie. Expand
Tss5078Mar 30, 2015
I love science fiction and I hate superheroes, but I credit the X-Men series with giving me an appreciation for them. X-Men has showed me that in the proper context, with some great writers, superheroes movies don't have to be the lowest formI love science fiction and I hate superheroes, but I credit the X-Men series with giving me an appreciation for them. X-Men has showed me that in the proper context, with some great writers, superheroes movies don't have to be the lowest form of sci-fi entertainment. Days of Future Past seemed to confuse some people, as it's not part of the trilogy and therefore it's timeline is off. The ending of the film also creates a paradox, which eliminates certain mistakes made in the other films. In layman's terms, some of the things that happen in the other X-Men movies, never happen, because of Days of Future Past. In an undetermined era, sometime between the end of the original film and Last Stand, a new enemy has been targeting mutants. These machines, meant to eliminate the mutants have malfunctioned and are now targeting humans as well. The machines are made with mutant DNA and therefore have the combined forces of all the mutants it's come in contact with, making them unstoppable. The only chance the X-Men have is for one of them to go back in time and stop the machines from ever being built. Wolverine is the only one with a mind strong enough to survive the trip and is sent back to the 1970s, where he meets the cast of X-Men: First Class. While difficult for non-sci-fi aficionados to understand, this film was not only extremely well written, but serves dual purposes for the series. First, it brings both casts together in an extreme fashion and it's a tremendous gift for the fans. Second, it allows the writers to undo mistakes from The Last Stand, which was at the time, set to be the final X-Men film. The ending to Days of Future Past, effectively explain that everything that happened in Last Stand, never happened, as it was part of an alternate timeline. This allows the writers to bring back characters like Prof. X (who is seen killed in that film) for possible future films. It really was an ingenious move for the franchises future, but it also allowed fans to experience the "old timers" and the "new class" working together, in a huge, diverse, and very impressive cast. Seldom are superheroes films so complicated or as well written as Days of Future Past. The writing is out of this world, the cast is full of stars, and the special effects were absolutely amazing. Love it or hate it, superheroes are part of the science fiction genre, but Days of Future Past was simply incredible and for that, it's our latest must see movie! Expand
jack977May 27, 2014
Even better than its already impressive predecessor, Days of Future Past is definitely Singer in top form - whether its the deft handling of the ensemble cast, sleek visuals or inherently humane story. Definitely the most fun I've had at theEven better than its already impressive predecessor, Days of Future Past is definitely Singer in top form - whether its the deft handling of the ensemble cast, sleek visuals or inherently humane story. Definitely the most fun I've had at the movies in a long, long time. Expand
Trev29Nov 17, 2014
I was impressed considering these type of movies are not up my alley. The action was consistently engaging and innovative. The story doesn't get weirdly obscure like other similar movies.
Albert13Jun 22, 2014
X-Men: Days of Future Past is the best X-Men movie ever. It's big, original and has purpose. It clears the past mistakes of the franchise by promising us a brighter future. The broad cast is as good as they've always been. Unlike, this year'sX-Men: Days of Future Past is the best X-Men movie ever. It's big, original and has purpose. It clears the past mistakes of the franchise by promising us a brighter future. The broad cast is as good as they've always been. Unlike, this year's Godzilla, marketing of this movie promised a great movie and it matched its expectations. Expand
oblique15Apr 12, 2015
What I like most about this is how they used the other movies in it. It`s one of the things I like best about these X-men/super hero movies.This was an interesting movie from the beginning to the end.
ToffenuffJul 2, 2014
Stellar cast! Very interesting plot, though I wonder if they'll be continuing with this changed timeline or if this was a one-off. As is the norm nowadays, the special effects and visuals are amazing. Turned out better than I anticipated. AStellar cast! Very interesting plot, though I wonder if they'll be continuing with this changed timeline or if this was a one-off. As is the norm nowadays, the special effects and visuals are amazing. Turned out better than I anticipated. A good X-Men movie. Expand
SeyyoshiOct 20, 2014
This movie was made out of pure excellence. The movie is by far one of the best x-men movies in the franchise. Bryan really did an amazing job with this movie. The acting is really great but my one complaint is that Ian McKellen didn't getThis movie was made out of pure excellence. The movie is by far one of the best x-men movies in the franchise. Bryan really did an amazing job with this movie. The acting is really great but my one complaint is that Ian McKellen didn't get much too say in this movie, just a few sentences. However looking past that I don't see more mistakes with it. I am probably gonna re-watch this movie again soon. I recommend this movie to anyone even if your not a huge X-men fan. Expand
InlikeflynnJun 12, 2014
Great movie in almost every aspect they did!

Great movie in almost every aspect they did!

The story is very smart (specially for a time travel movie), acting is good, actions scenes are well shoot and the writing is pretty good has well, dialogue feels natural... there is plenty of things to appreciate in terms of production, like the make-up for Raven/Mystique, the effects for the action scenes and the scale of what's at stake carries a weight that does convince the audience.

Maybe the action was less impressive than in other X-Men movies, I don't know what fans think of this but judging by the response everybody seem to be happy with the end result and so am I; I recommend this one if you want a good super-hero movie.
Tessara_VejganSep 19, 2014
Great movie, decent story, good acting all around. Was very fun and entertaining. Would be nice if the next one has humans and mutants united fighting some other threat because as much as I liked it this human vs mutant struggle is getting stale.
jakenelsonJun 6, 2014
I'll be the first to admit, I'm not a big fan of the X-Men series. This film though is an exception. It has an incredible cast of actors, from up-and-comers like Omar Sy and James McAvoy to veterans like Patrick Stewart or Sir Ian McKellen.I'll be the first to admit, I'm not a big fan of the X-Men series. This film though is an exception. It has an incredible cast of actors, from up-and-comers like Omar Sy and James McAvoy to veterans like Patrick Stewart or Sir Ian McKellen. The film also a great balance between political intrigue and fun superhero action. That is why I believe this is not only the best superhero film of all time, but also one of the best political thrillers of all time. I give Days Of Future Past a 9 out of 10 stars. Expand