7.8

1. May 27, 2013
    I don't like almost all X-men movies. I don't like Wolverine, Victor Creed, Wade Wilson, their weapons, horrible.
    I don't like big muscle characters like Hugh Jackman, Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson.
    But X-men, 2000 was not bad.
    X-Men: First Class is great. I love the character Erik Lehnsherr.
  2. Apr 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. X-Men: First Class is a reboot to the franchise. Yes, it is a reboot, but it is not a superhero movie to be trifled with. Strength of this movie is very much in evidence and true; it could be noticed by its ability to give you so much power. I want to say more- my favourite superhero movie of the year is robust, dark and vicious. Starring an acclaimed actor James McAvoy as Charles Xavier and alongside him is Michael Fassbender as Erik Lensherr and directed by Matthew Vaughn, a firm and handsome motion picture, let's have a ferocious battle alright!!?

I have this notion that could proudly tell the world that what makes X- Men FS a worthy motion picture is its terrific screenplay. In my opinion, the collaboration of the four writers (Ashley Edward Miller, Zack Stentz, Jane Goldman and Matthew Vaughn) is praise-worthy and they got the work done right! The dialogues or lines in the film are so insightful and meaningful and they strike upon my judgment. To add some sugar in the mentioned praise, the script never failed to make viewers smile with its charming and humorless lines.

James McAvoy is undeniably appealing in the movie. His presence indirectly brought me to the top level of uneasiness, asking me if that kind of charm could easily be matched. His performance is one of the best performances in the movie and he led the character brightly. Another genius illuminator of the movie is Michael Fassbender but there's extra gravity strength surrounded him which somewhat pull the movie down. To me, his character seemed like insignificant in the first half of the movie and this so obvious when he started working with Charles Xavier but let's cover that up with a bright blanket, the character Erik made a powerful and important appearance during the few final acts of the movie that turned the movie around. To wrap it up, Fassbender delivered an acting performance that is being filled with charisma. I traded my praise for Kevin Bacon's too. He is so relaxed and cunning-looking while driving the character which made Sebastian Shaw a successful smart villain. The performances by the supporting casts have a mixed taste. Two great examples would be Jennifer Lawrence's correct interpretation and Zoë Kravitz's boring delivery for the character.

The visual effects are neither jaw-dropping nor special, it is just acceptable and it never goes beyond that. Spectacular? Nope. I'm so reluctant to mention this, but pace of the film during the first half of the movie is incorrect-moves quite too quickly and left some of the characters undeveloped. The editing wouldn't want to be touched that much but the beauty of that filmmaking element is very much secured during the 'training' scene. That mentioned scene is just perfectly executed.

X-Men: First Class is not one of the best films of the year but, its excellent screenplay and sparkling performances gave a rise to the fact that this film is not one of the worst films of the year.

[3.5/5]

Facebook (http://facebook.com/alex.desmall) Twitter (@Alex_DeSmall) (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/member/AlexDesmall)
  3. Mar 24, 2013
    Not too bad, but the costume design was much too modern for the early 1960's. The plot was in some scenes uninteresting, but makes up for it in the strong special effects.
  4. Mar 17, 2013
    While there were definitely promising qualities and scenes, most of the movie was never engrossing to watch. This might sound like an oxymoron, but the best way to describe the film would to call it an interesting bore.
  5. Mar 17, 2013
    Even though X-Men: First Class was well executed, had a solid production, above average acting, and a decent story, I couldn't help to notice that I have never sat through a longer 2 hour film in my life.
  6. Mar 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. On the whole I enjoyed this film. I will admit that the film drags a bit and is confusing to start off with and that the plot is rushed a bit for the sake of tying it into the other films; but I feel that we still got some good stuff. The redeeming factor of this film is the take on the characters specifically Xavier, Magneto, and Mistique. I enjoyed watching these characters and cared about some of them more so than the original X-Men. Even though this plot feels condencesed I still would like to see another movie with these characters, which it looks like we will be getting sort of with X-Men Days of Future Past, which will hopefully will be good. If you’re a fan of the X-Men movies check this one out because you may like it. Even if you are not a fan of the previous ones I am going to say watch it because it is different from the other ones. It provides an interesting take on characters we know and love and is enjoyable. Again what ruins it is the rushed ending but if you look past that you will enjoy the film. Is this a great film no but it is a good one, which is something that a lot of movies cannot be. Expand
  7. Feb 22, 2013
    I never read a comic book and when I saw the first X-Men film, I was intrigued, but confused. Throughout the trilogy, I always thought I was missing a lot of the story and this is it. First Class is the missing link that will answer questions for the fans of the movie, who don't follow the comics, and it is one blockbuster film that more than lives up to its hype. From the special effectsI never read a comic book and when I saw the first X-Men film, I was intrigued, but confused. Throughout the trilogy, I always thought I was missing a lot of the story and this is it. First Class is the missing link that will answer questions for the fans of the movie, who don't follow the comics, and it is one blockbuster film that more than lives up to its hype. From the special effects to the make-up and finally to the actors this film is amazing. Movies like this never win awards, but you will be hard pressed to find better performances than those of James McAvoy, Kevin Bacon, Michael Fassbender. The whole cast was terrific, the story was fantastic, and the special effects were truly out of this world. This is a great film and I'm craving more. I can't wait to see what connections the next forty years bring between first class and the trilogy. When it's all said and done, I hope I can watch all these films and truly understand the whole story. Expand
  8. Feb 22, 2013
    First Class is one of the strongest, if not the most enjoyable, members of the X-men film franchise. It's plot is perhaps overly congested, dealing with a range of characters going through the self-doubt and insecurities of being 'different' on top of the relationship between Charles and Erik in addition to stopping Schmidt from causing the Cuban Missile Crisis from going from militaryFirst Class is one of the strongest, if not the most enjoyable, members of the X-men film franchise. It's plot is perhaps overly congested, dealing with a range of characters going through the self-doubt and insecurities of being 'different' on top of the relationship between Charles and Erik in addition to stopping Schmidt from causing the Cuban Missile Crisis from going from military stand-off to full blown war. As usual with X-Men, too many characters are included purely for bodies in the fight scenes. Step forward Angel, Banshee, Havok, Darwin, Azazel and Riptide. Avengers leads the way in accommodating a group of major superheroes without shoehorning wafer-thin characters for cannon fodder. Special mentions for January Jones, who gives the flattest, monotone performance I can remember as the Schmidt's female sidekick, Emma Frost and Kevin Bacon, for performing scenes in German and Russian! On to the positives......Michael Fassbender. It is not often you associate a superhero movie with powerhouse performances, but Fassbender's intense, brooding portrayal of Erik, hinting at the flaws that ultimately come to the surface as Magneto, is just that, and is a joy to watch. Only a few leagues below (and given Fassbender's performance this is still high praise) is James McAvoy's performance as Charles Xavier.

All things said and done, First Class is an enjoyable action film, benefiting from some excellent actors and the curiosity attached to seeing younger versions of familiar characters.
  9. Feb 9, 2013
    This was a surprisingly excellent film, when you hear the term 'reboot' or 'prequel', there isnt much of a rapturous applause, but First Class felt like wondrous step in the right direction.
    Starting off in 1944 we see the emergence of Erik Lensherr later known as Magneto, who witnesses the death of his mother after Dr Klaus Schmidt/Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon) is aware of Lensherr's mutant capabilities.
    A long way away from Lensherr's woes in a concentration camp, we see a child Charles Xavier, later Professor X getting acquainted with a young Raven Darkholme, who you may no better as the blue shape-shifter Mistique.
    Fast-forward to the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962, we see Xavier (James McAvoy) far from how we know him, a womanising Oxford graduate who is smooth-talking and charming, tagging along behind him is Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence).
    Meanwhile, Magneto (Michael Fassbender) is killing his way through those who tortured him in the past, running into his soon-to-be friend Xavier.
    Thus sets off quite a retro yet whirlwind of entertainment with an ensemble cast including Nicholas Hoult, Rose Byrne, January Jones and uncredited yet brilliantly simple and hilarious cameo from a familiar mutant.
    What was most interesting about First Class was its uniqueness from it trilogy counterpart, it didn't feel similar to them at all, and this was good, its creating its own path, and what an enjoyable path it was. Groundbreaking special effects, particularly a scene of Magneto lifting a submarine out of the water with his manipulation ability of metal.
    Personally, it was the excellently scripted film that was of particular enjoyment, the large ensemble cast feels fresh, and the film isnt afraid to take risks, big egos, big music and large set pieces have set up what could be a very successful and enjoyable chapter in the large world of X-Men.
    The performances of the two leads in McAvoy and Fassbender are fantastically unique, filling big shoes from Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan, they superbly bring their own youth and charisma to the roles, while maintaining the strained relationship that these two mutant heavyweights share.
    Absolutely brilliant and well-thought prequel to a successful franchise, let it continue.
  10. Feb 7, 2013
    Definitely the best X-men film with fantastic action and amazing characters. All the actors in this movie nail their parts and the script wasn't as cheesy as the previous films and the side-characters were more likable. And finally the cameo by Hugh Jackman as wolverine in this movie is amazing, It had me laughing for the rest of the movie.
  11. Feb 6, 2013
    Finally, an X-Men movie that is as good, if not better than, the first two. An amazing success after those other two pieces of crap of which I dare not speak their names! Overall, AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!
  12. Jan 29, 2013
    X-Men: First Class is the first movie in the X-Men timeline. It is set during the Cold War and does a brilliant job of describing the issues of pride and prejudice. Plot: Eric (Micheal Fassbender) is a Jewish boy who watches his mother get abducted during the Holocaust. His anger leads him to use his mutation to control metal. After Shaw (Kevin Bacon) kills his mother, he vows to avengeX-Men: First Class is the first movie in the X-Men timeline. It is set during the Cold War and does a brilliant job of describing the issues of pride and prejudice. Plot: Eric (Micheal Fassbender) is a Jewish boy who watches his mother get abducted during the Holocaust. His anger leads him to use his mutation to control metal. After Shaw (Kevin Bacon) kills his mother, he vows to avenge her. At the same time, Charles (James Mcavoy) who has a mutation that allows him to manipulate the minds of others, meets Raven (Jenifer Lawerence) who has the ability to shape shift and is insecure about her looks. As Shaw and his group of mutants attempt to start WW3 so that nukes will mutate the world, Charles and Eric meet up and recruit other mutants who they train in an attempt to save the world from another world war. My opinion: A very well done masterpiece that shows the true origins of the X-Men. This movie address current problems such as the unbalance of warfare, and insecurities we feel and how we react to those who make us feel such. I reccommend this to anybody who wants to get interested in the X-Men, anyone who has seen the X-Men trilogy, and to those who are interested in conspiracy surrounding the Cold War. Expand
  13. Jan 4, 2013
    As a stand alone film, completely ignoring canon, it's pretty decent. Anyone not knowing a thing about the series outside of the movies will likely highly enjoy it. But, as an avid fan of the comic book series, this movie just takes FAR too many liberties and makes very little sense. Kevin Bacon did a good job with Sebastian Shaw's character and portrays him well, but just did notAs a stand alone film, completely ignoring canon, it's pretty decent. Anyone not knowing a thing about the series outside of the movies will likely highly enjoy it. But, as an avid fan of the comic book series, this movie just takes FAR too many liberties and makes very little sense. Kevin Bacon did a good job with Sebastian Shaw's character and portrays him well, but just did not represent (visually) him that well (not to mention his horrific German. His pronunciation was extremely cringe worthy to anyone who speaks German.) McAvoy & Fassbender are fantastic in their roles and do an almost perfect job of showing Magneto & Xavier in their early days. Everyone else ....... can just be forgotten. I thought this movie is made purely for entertainment and it seems to me that very little thought went into its writing, at least in terms of being true to its source material. While I appreciate what they were trying to do, they should have rather sold it as a reboot rather than a prequel to the other movies. Overall: A huge disappointment to fans of the original comics, but very good for everyone else. (At least it was better than Last Stand.) Expand
  14. Dec 29, 2012
    A better plot and more entertaining than the Wolverine origins movie, thankfully way better than the piece of crap movie called X3. Finally, one of similar quality to X-Men: Origins and X2. It was interesting to see the origins of Xavier and Magneto (I've never read the comics personally so the story was new to me). It had action, great special effects, great character, decent acting and aA better plot and more entertaining than the Wolverine origins movie, thankfully way better than the piece of crap movie called X3. Finally, one of similar quality to X-Men: Origins and X2. It was interesting to see the origins of Xavier and Magneto (I've never read the comics personally so the story was new to me). It had action, great special effects, great character, decent acting and a decent plot, everything I expect from a superhero movie. 10/10 Expand
  15. Dec 8, 2012
    It is certainly flawed and all over the place, but McAvoy and Fassbender are superb. They are great, both together and individually as Xavier and Magneto, respectively.
  16. Dec 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Excellent, I loved it. I was expecting something more like Wolverine, but this was a fantastic movie. Not only a brilliant addition to the X-Men series, but it's the best of the series!

The reason I say that this is the best of the series is because it delivers in more areas than the previous films did...First Class is very deep. For once I felt for the characters, I actually cared about what happened to them and how they interacted with each other. Credit must go to the cast because their performances contributed to this, especially James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender. McAvoy gives a great performance as Professor X, and Fassbender is incredible as Magneto. (You will see Erik/Magneto in a whole new light). My favorite scene in the entire film is actually not an action scene, but the highly emotional diologue between McAvoy and Fassbender with moving the satelitte...also the end of the final action scene. Those two scenes alone add SO much to the film and trilogy. I can't explain it all, but this is truly a great addition to the series.

And...of course the action was awesome! The visuals were excellent and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. I love action movie blockbusters and First Class delivered.

I cannot recommend this film enough! It's my favorite of the year so far. Action + Drama = X-Men First Class = Great Film!
  17. Dec 4, 2012
    This movie had a lot of potential, but unfortunately, it didn't quite realise it completely. While there are a few pros; McAvoy and Fassbender are great as Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr, and likewise their scenes are the highlight of the movie for me. Some of the other characters were also somewhat interesting, such as Beastman, and Mystique, and the special effects during the fightThis movie had a lot of potential, but unfortunately, it didn't quite realise it completely. While there are a few pros; McAvoy and Fassbender are great as Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr, and likewise their scenes are the highlight of the movie for me. Some of the other characters were also somewhat interesting, such as Beastman, and Mystique, and the special effects during the fight scenes are at the usual standard for X-men films. However, swirled in with all that are: a wafer-thin plot that serves as nothing more than a backdrop for the characters to move around in, a (possibly intended) campy feel throughout large parts of the film, and a few major characters who have nothing to them apart from unique powers (see: Majority of the villains). It's disappointing that so few of the characters were really even touched on, let alone fleshed out, as this seems more than anything a character-focused piece, and I hope that the planned sequel, Days of Future Past, focuses more on fleshing these super-powered characters out, and exploring the different sides to them, rather than leaving them as one-dimensional walking super powers. Another flaw I noticed was the scale. Using an event like the Cuban Missile Crisis might've sounded good on paper, but it caused the film to move through a bit too much too quickly, which may be the cause for the lack of character interaction and depth. It might've been better to use another event that's easier to work with, such as the Cold War in general, and the unease and paranoia that was prevalent throughout. Again hopefully the sequel does this, and allows more breathing space for the characters who aren't named Charles Xavier or Magneto (though even they didn't quite get as much as they could)
    Overall though, it's a fairly decent action blockbuster, filled with a few nice action scenes and sprinkled with good character moments throughout and although it isn't quite as interesting as it could have been, it's still worthy of at least a rental to the general movie-goer.
  18. Nov 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In the years between Batman films, Marvel truly gets a chance to shine, especially in the time building up towards their unprecedented, all-or-nothing extravaganza The Avengers. So it would come as a huge shock to many that, in a summer with not one but two Avengers-related films (Thor and Captain America), the most thrilling and refined comic book film of the year was the one no one was excited for. Well, folks, we all learned to never judge a film by its trailer once this smartly written, sharply filmed and sleekly acted origin story unfolded on the screen. This was Michael Fassbender Expand
  19. Oct 13, 2012
    This film is so stupid. The dialogue is stupid, scenes are stupid, even Magneto. I see what they tried to do here, but the ways they use in this movie are just stupid and dumb. It could be a good movie if the script was stronger
  20. Aug 21, 2012
    This film was pretty good for what it achieved - the leads were amazing as their characters and the dialogue was interesting. The CGI was colourful, but didn't block out the story. I loved the chemistry between Erik and Charles before it descended into chaos. I doubted the film because of its possible childish aspects considering the group of teenage mutants but it also looked dumbed downThis film was pretty good for what it achieved - the leads were amazing as their characters and the dialogue was interesting. The CGI was colourful, but didn't block out the story. I loved the chemistry between Erik and Charles before it descended into chaos. I doubted the film because of its possible childish aspects considering the group of teenage mutants but it also looked dumbed down from the darker X-Men films. Despite this, it managed to produce a stable backstory, there was a cool injection of humour (one scene possibly being unintentional but not in a bad way) and a cameo from a probably lovable rogue makes the film even more special. Expand
  21. Aug 10, 2012
    A perfectly competent action film, nothing more and nothing less. A litany of side characters muddle the plot while Michael Fassbender's performance (lauded by critics) seemed uneven, as his accent changed throughout the film. Moreover, while I applaud the four screenwriters (never a good sign) for attempting to intertwine historical events within the plot, the overall dialogue writingA perfectly competent action film, nothing more and nothing less. A litany of side characters muddle the plot while Michael Fassbender's performance (lauded by critics) seemed uneven, as his accent changed throughout the film. Moreover, while I applaud the four screenwriters (never a good sign) for attempting to intertwine historical events within the plot, the overall dialogue writing remained clumsy and inept. Expand
  22. Aug 4, 2012
    After two disappointing X-Men movies, this superhero franchise is finally back and better than ever! The only problem this movie has is that is "over-cheesy" at some points. Overall, though, it was a fantastic and fun ride and maybe the best X-Men movie to date.
  23. Jul 21, 2012
    This film was fantastic in places but lacked a unity in direction to be truly amazing. The franchise needed to improve upon X3 and Wolverine, which were clearly the two worst films of the series so far, and in this origin story, they found a film to help them to rise from the ashes in a better way than Jean Grey did in the third film. Matthew Vaughn was clearly the correct choice asThis film was fantastic in places but lacked a unity in direction to be truly amazing. The franchise needed to improve upon X3 and Wolverine, which were clearly the two worst films of the series so far, and in this origin story, they found a film to help them to rise from the ashes in a better way than Jean Grey did in the third film. Matthew Vaughn was clearly the correct choice as director and I look forward to watching his future endeavours. Expand
  24. Jul 5, 2012
    This is by far the best X-Men movie to date. In the movie you get to see how Magneto and Dr. X become friends. Magneto believes that he was the only one that was gifted. As for Dr. X he finds out early when he is a child. Mystic (the blue chick) meets Dr. X when they are only kids. Magneto meets Kevin Bacon (the guy from Hollow Man) and is the main cause for Magneto for realizing hisThis is by far the best X-Men movie to date. In the movie you get to see how Magneto and Dr. X become friends. Magneto believes that he was the only one that was gifted. As for Dr. X he finds out early when he is a child. Mystic (the blue chick) meets Dr. X when they are only kids. Magneto meets Kevin Bacon (the guy from Hollow Man) and is the main cause for Magneto for realizing his potential. Kevin Bacon has a bigger role in the movie but it may spoil it if I say what it is. It was cool to see Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) for a scene, although the theater's applaud was not needed. The effects in the movie are not too cheesy. The music, except for the trailer, are a bit boring. There seems to not be any epic music through out the movie. It would of liked it if they used the previous actors for Magneto and Dr. X but it would not have worked well with them looking old. The movie includes a few twists (the main one being when Magneto steels Kevin Bacon's helmet). The movie ends with Magneto and Dr. X on their separate paths. There will need to be a sequel to connect the ties of the first X-Men movie (the one that sucked that had Sabertooth in it) with this prequel. Expand
  25. Jul 4, 2012
    After two disappointing lacklusters, the X-Men franchise is back to it's form. A nice prequel that not only presents important character development, but a new and ensembled cast that captures even more the character's personality and depth. The movie is a mixture of the excitment that the first two X-Men's were, mostly because the production team of those two movies, including the screenAfter two disappointing lacklusters, the X-Men franchise is back to it's form. A nice prequel that not only presents important character development, but a new and ensembled cast that captures even more the character's personality and depth. The movie is a mixture of the excitment that the first two X-Men's were, mostly because the production team of those two movies, including the screen writter is involved. Expand
  26. Jun 8, 2012
    2011 is a year filled with surprises. Films that were supposed to be good are mediocre at best. Movies such as X Men First Class and Rise of the Apes, which are supposed to flop big time turned out to be the best blockbusters for the season. After the abysmal X Men Origins: Wolverine, I thought that the X-Men franchise was gone for good. With a strong and younger cast, a lot of energy,2011 is a year filled with surprises. Films that were supposed to be good are mediocre at best. Movies such as X Men First Class and Rise of the Apes, which are supposed to flop big time turned out to be the best blockbusters for the season. After the abysmal X Men Origins: Wolverine, I thought that the X-Men franchise was gone for good. With a strong and younger cast, a lot of energy, great set pieces and above all, a lot of heart and soul, X Men First Class became one of the best film of the year. Expand
  27. Jun 4, 2012
    Fassbender and McAvoy are brilliant but it's a wee bit of a boring, clichéd story, with the young X-Men providing very little in the way of storyline. Good fun, though.
  28. May 26, 2012
    It was a good movie, though not canon in accordance to its predecessors the "X-men trilogy and X-men Origins: Wolverine" its confusing without it keeping continuity already set by the previous films. Other than the confusion the film was pretty great, captivating plot and a eye popping experience filled with plenty of eye candy scenes and a epic performance by the cast. But on the otherIt was a good movie, though not canon in accordance to its predecessors the "X-men trilogy and X-men Origins: Wolverine" its confusing without it keeping continuity already set by the previous films. Other than the confusion the film was pretty great, captivating plot and a eye popping experience filled with plenty of eye candy scenes and a epic performance by the cast. But on the other hand the film did seem it was just thrown together to make a plot for Prof X and Magneto, but I still think they should have had continuity. Expand
  29. May 25, 2012
    Remember the X-Men movie right before this one? You know, the one about the origins of Wolverine? I don't/ My guess is that Hugh Jackman doesn't either. If he does, I can almost be sure that he's at least trying. "X-Men: First Class", directed by Matthew Vaughn, is a prequel that shows us how the presence of mutants became known to humans, and how they responded to each other'sRemember the X-Men movie right before this one? You know, the one about the origins of Wolverine? I don't/ My guess is that Hugh Jackman doesn't either. If he does, I can almost be sure that he's at least trying. "X-Men: First Class", directed by Matthew Vaughn, is a prequel that shows us how the presence of mutants became known to humans, and how they responded to each other's impressions. This can also be identified as a 130-minute apology to "Wolverine." The film's first minutes are located in a nasty Nazi prison camp. The mother of young Eric is separated from him. He gets angry, and the steel gate between him and his mother seem to respond. (It's moving by itself!) This odd occurrence is immediately noticed by Sebastian Shaw, who later succeeds in forcing the power out of Eric by killing his mother. Once again in anger, Eric causes all sorts of metals to hurl through the air. The wooden chairs sigh in relief. The sequence described above features the finest moments of "X-Men: First Class." It is there where we are introduced to the young man who will one day be famously recognzied as Magneto. Shortly, we recall familiar names such as Charles (Professor X) and Raven (Mystique), but not at first sight. There is a curious connection between the two. They seem to be really close to one another. So close, in fact, that we wonder about the lack of communication between them in the "previous" X-Men movies. Read more here: http://localmoviereview.com/xmen-class/ Expand
  30. May 24, 2012
    *Not a comic guy

*Not a comic guy

This movie was excellent. I enjoyed the focus on character development and the various themes throughout the movie such as accepting yourself. The characters each had their own unique personalities, each with their own flaws and qualities. This alongside their interactions all makes them great characters makes them easy to sympathize with. The movie can be classed as an action movie but the action was not the main attraction in my view. It was characters and their relationships with eachother and society that define this movie and make it a quality movie experience.

1. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Jun 9, 2011
    It's all vastly superior to Brett Ratner's scorched-earth "X-Men: The Last Stand," of course.
  2. Reviewed by: Scott Tobias
    Jun 3, 2011
    It's not the artistry of X-Men: First Class that's particularly striking; though it's finely crafted, the film feels less the product of a visionary director than of the Marvel movies machine working at maximum efficiency.
  3. Reviewed by: Karina Longworth
    Jun 3, 2011
    A cameo from an old-school X-Man only serves to remind how stylish and witty the first installment was a decade ago. Lacking a single memorable joke or striking image, First Class is as perfunctory and passionless as would-be franchise resurrections get.