7.8

1. Mar 8, 2014
    The best in the series so far. It improves greatly on the previous film by giving us more character development and emotion between characters, and when you combine that with a better story this time round along with some intense action sequences, you simply have a great movie.
  2. Mar 4, 2014
    Apart from the flat supporting characters and a few doses of overly cheesy dialogue, this film is at the top end of superhero movies. A script which makes you toss and turn sides throughout the film is commendable and some truly great acting from McAvoy and Fassbender. Easily the best X-Men film and recommendable to all.
  3. Dec 22, 2013
    X-Men: The First Class is far from being a perfect movie, or even a great one. This movie starts poorly with terrible acting (except the actors who portray adult Xavier and Magento), and a poor script that makes it feel like a teenage movie for Nickalodean. The special effects are pretty bad too. Everything looks fake, especially Beast. Fortunately the movie does take a turn for the better about halfway into the movie when one of the characters (Darwin) gets killed, then the movie starts to become what it should have been from the start. Although they say it's not how you start but how you finish, this time; how you start does matter. Expand
  4. Dec 16, 2013
    Surprising movie, I thought it would be worst. It gives a fresh start to the X-men zaga. The majority of the performances were great and created an interesting, but sometimes unclear movie.
  5. Nov 20, 2013
    I think the remake of the xmen is better than the original The cast is great ,the plot is thrilling and the visuals are astonishing It's a really good movie that I think everyone should watch
  6. Nov 13, 2013
    A breath of fresh air to the X-Men series and the strengths in character development are great. My only problem with this film is the lack of a real punch as the end drags a bit.
  7. Nov 11, 2013
    Classic & Dramatic Entertainer Will Always Lead To The Ranks Of First Class !!
    **X-Men First Class**

* This movie is by far a Classic entertainer with Dramatic screenplay and visuals which dazzles you in excitement Brilliant Screen Play & Characters performance are the most charming features. This movie stands for the name itself First Class This movie had a positive features in
    which the characters were well developed and their interaction during the screen play was excellent the director needs to get credit for this brilliant performance in both direction and screenplay This movie got some of the most talented actors and their performance was fantastic as they were very much suited for there roles in this film .The interaction between these actors are the most charming features to this film Forgot to mention about another positive thing in this film that is Music!the soundtracks and the back ground effects were fantastic it shines as one of the most brilliant features in this film The action sequence and visual effects are beautiful you cannot see any errors since its done perfectly Overall this movie is fantastic and worth your time its certainly not dull or boring its Exciting as well as Charming or you can simply say its a First Class Expand
  8. Oct 27, 2013
    after a bad movie(origins wolverine)i thought the x-men franchise would decline,i wasn´t expecting anything good but this movie is absolutely great with a good restart.
  9. Sep 15, 2013
    An exceptional prequel to the original X-Men films, First Class delivers with large amounts of vitality, a cast that pulls off their performance immaculately, and a script that handles its source material with a meticulous hand.
  10. Aug 28, 2013
    Now this is where the X-Men Franchise begins to redeems itself...

After "The Last Stand" and "Origins" had disappointed me, I was so happy as well as confused to hear about the beginning of A new X-Men trilogy, but then upon hearing it was going to be based on one of my favourite All-Time Mini-series "First Class", hype necessarily followed.

Also considering the abundance of
    Super-Hero movies coming out this year, X-Men was the only one I was really looking forward too.

I was not disappointed.

Though people seemed pissed off due to the fact that a majority of recognizable characters were missing from this film, i was really happy with that because this film features all these virtually unknown characters who are just brilliant and played by superb actors.

The only problem I had with it was that it did not follow the "First Class" comic storyline but 10 minutes in I DID NOT CARE because the 60's style they've gone for here is the equivilent of a James Bond movie, the friendship and differences between James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender as Xavier & Magneto is so engaging and tensious to watch, while Kevin Bacon was an astounding villian and January Jones just screamed "Fembot".

The Story worked well around all the characters and themes X-men were made for, fear of mutants (Which was originally a shot a communism) and an INGENIOUS idea of "Mutant Warfare" during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Final Verdict: Though we still gotta get through "Green Lantern" and "Captain America" X-Men is literally (And i know this is cheesy) First Class. 8.5
  11. Aug 24, 2013
    [6.9] It definitely exceeds expectations, but it doesn't go above and beyond. Maybe above, but definitely not beyond. By X-Men standards, this is a great movie, but for me, it does what every other X-Men movie does: it tries to explain itself too much (and at this point, X-Men doesn't need much explaining). It does this to a lesser extent, and the characters almost make up for it, but when I watch this movie I'm all too aware that the X-Men are trying to teach me about the X-Men. That's what the internet is for. Hell, that's what comic books are for. Expand
  12. Aug 1, 2013
    Don't judge the book by it's cover.
    Same with this movie.
    Great one if you want to know how it all started or if you just want a good movie to your saturday snacks.
  13. Jul 28, 2013
    X-Men: First Class succeeds by having actual storyline aside neat special effects and flashy action scenes. The characters have more depth than average movie superheroes and there are successful tie-ins with actual historical events. This prequel is positive surprise that even non-fan of Marvel movies can enjoy.
  14. Jul 23, 2013
    Although the characters were interresting and the refferences were enjoyable, the story was weak and predictable, making the movie a stretched boring mess.
  15. Jun 12, 2013
    Definitely better made than the previous films in the franchise. What bothered me, however, were the vast majority of previously unused mutants picked for the film. I think they should have stuck with the stories of the main characters. The CIA agent laying her burden on Xavier was very convenient, and there was no need for the romance angle. Mystique and Beast should have been explored more. In the absence of Wolverine, the more physical mutants seemed to be clearly lacking. But the downward spiral is really reversed by the focus on Magneto and Professor X, which was the strongest point about the film. Expand
  16. Jun 10, 2013
    X-men first class is the best x-men movie ever made. Deal with it. It has great action and story. The effects are impressive and it's the best one. Matthew Vughn did an excellent work after kick-ass
  17. Jun 2, 2013
    Personally my favorite X-Men movie mainly because unlike most of the other X-Men movies this film has strong character development especially with Xavier and Magneto.
  18. May 27, 2013
    I don't like almost all X-men movies. I don't like Wolverine, Victor Creed, Wade Wilson, their weapons, horrible.
    I don't like big muscle characters like Hugh Jackman, Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson.
    But X-men, 2000 was not bad.
    X-Men: First Class is great. I love the character Erik Lehnsherr.
  19. Apr 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. X-Men: First Class is a reboot to the franchise. Yes, it is a reboot, but it is not a superhero movie to be trifled with. Strength of this movie is very much in evidence and true; it could be noticed by its ability to give you so much power. I want to say more- my favourite superhero movie of the year is robust, dark and vicious. Starring an acclaimed actor James McAvoy as Charles Xavier and alongside him is Michael Fassbender as Erik Lensherr and directed by Matthew Vaughn, a firm and handsome motion picture, let's have a ferocious battle alright!!?

I have this notion that could proudly tell the world that what makes X- Men FS a worthy motion picture is its terrific screenplay. In my opinion, the collaboration of the four writers (Ashley Edward Miller, Zack Stentz, Jane Goldman and Matthew Vaughn) is praise-worthy and they got the work done right! The dialogues or lines in the film are so insightful and meaningful and they strike upon my judgment. To add some sugar in the mentioned praise, the script never failed to make viewers smile with its charming and humorless lines.

James McAvoy is undeniably appealing in the movie. His presence indirectly brought me to the top level of uneasiness, asking me if that kind of charm could easily be matched. His performance is one of the best performances in the movie and he led the character brightly. Another genius illuminator of the movie is Michael Fassbender but there's extra gravity strength surrounded him which somewhat pull the movie down. To me, his character seemed like insignificant in the first half of the movie and this so obvious when he started working with Charles Xavier but let's cover that up with a bright blanket, the character Erik made a powerful and important appearance during the few final acts of the movie that turned the movie around. To wrap it up, Fassbender delivered an acting performance that is being filled with charisma. I traded my praise for Kevin Bacon's too. He is so relaxed and cunning-looking while driving the character which made Sebastian Shaw a successful smart villain. The performances by the supporting casts have a mixed taste. Two great examples would be Jennifer Lawrence's correct interpretation and Zoë Kravitz's boring delivery for the character.

The visual effects are neither jaw-dropping nor special, it is just acceptable and it never goes beyond that. Spectacular? Nope. I'm so reluctant to mention this, but pace of the film during the first half of the movie is incorrect-moves quite too quickly and left some of the characters undeveloped. The editing wouldn't want to be touched that much but the beauty of that filmmaking element is very much secured during the 'training' scene. That mentioned scene is just perfectly executed.

X-Men: First Class is not one of the best films of the year but, its excellent screenplay and sparkling performances gave a rise to the fact that this film is not one of the worst films of the year.

[3.5/5]

Facebook (http://facebook.com/alex.desmall) Twitter (@Alex_DeSmall) (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/member/AlexDesmall)
  20. Mar 24, 2013
    Not too bad, but the costume design was much too modern for the early 1960's. The plot was in some scenes uninteresting, but makes up for it in the strong special effects.
  21. Mar 17, 2013
    While there were definitely promising qualities and scenes, most of the movie was never engrossing to watch. This might sound like an oxymoron, but the best way to describe the film would to call it an interesting bore.
  22. Mar 17, 2013
    Even though X-Men: First Class was well executed, had a solid production, above average acting, and a decent story, I couldn't help to notice that I have never sat through a longer 2 hour film in my life.
  23. Mar 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. On the whole I enjoyed this film. I will admit that the film drags a bit and is confusing to start off with and that the plot is rushed a bit for the sake of tying it into the other films; but I feel that we still got some good stuff. The redeeming factor of this film is the take on the characters specifically Xavier, Magneto, and Mistique. I enjoyed watching these characters and cared about some of them more so than the original X-Men. Even though this plot feels condencesed I still would like to see another movie with these characters, which it looks like we will be getting sort of with X-Men Days of Future Past, which will hopefully will be good. If you’re a fan of the X-Men movies check this one out because you may like it. Even if you are not a fan of the previous ones I am going to say watch it because it is different from the other ones. It provides an interesting take on characters we know and love and is enjoyable. Again what ruins it is the rushed ending but if you look past that you will enjoy the film. Is this a great film no but it is a good one, which is something that a lot of movies cannot be. Expand
  24. Feb 22, 2013
    I never read a comic book and when I saw the first X-Men film, I was intrigued, but confused. Throughout the trilogy, I always thought I was missing a lot of the story and this is it. First Class is the missing link that will answer questions for the fans of the movie, who don't follow the comics, and it is one blockbuster film that more than lives up to its hype. From the special effects to the make-up and finally to the actors this film is amazing. Movies like this never win awards, but you will be hard pressed to find better performances than those of James McAvoy, Kevin Bacon, Michael Fassbender. The whole cast was terrific, the story was fantastic, and the special effects were truly out of this world. This is a great film and I'm craving more. I can't wait to see what connections the next forty years bring between first class and the trilogy. When it's all said and done, I hope I can watch all these films and truly understand the whole story. Expand
  25. Feb 22, 2013
    First Class is one of the strongest, if not the most enjoyable, members of the X-men film franchise. It's plot is perhaps overly congested, dealing with a range of characters going through the self-doubt and insecurities of being 'different' on top of the relationship between Charles and Erik in addition to stopping Schmidt from causing the Cuban Missile Crisis from going from military stand-off to full blown war. As usual with X-Men, too many characters are included purely for bodies in the fight scenes. Step forward Angel, Banshee, Havok, Darwin, Azazel and Riptide. Avengers leads the way in accommodating a group of major superheroes without shoehorning wafer-thin characters for cannon fodder. Special mentions for January Jones, who gives the flattest, monotone performance I can remember as the Schmidt's female sidekick, Emma Frost and Kevin Bacon, for performing scenes in German and Russian! On to the positives......Michael Fassbender. It is not often you associate a superhero movie with powerhouse performances, but Fassbender's intense, brooding portrayal of Erik, hinting at the flaws that ultimately come to the surface as Magneto, is just that, and is a joy to watch. Only a few leagues below (and given Fassbender's performance this is still high praise) is James McAvoy's performance as Charles Xavier.

All things said and done, First Class is an enjoyable action film, benefiting from some excellent actors and the curiosity attached to seeing younger versions of familiar characters.
  26. Feb 9, 2013
    This was a surprisingly excellent film, when you hear the term 'reboot' or 'prequel', there isnt much of a rapturous applause, but First Class felt like wondrous step in the right direction.
    Starting off in 1944 we see the emergence of Erik Lensherr later known as Magneto, who witnesses the death of his mother after Dr Klaus Schmidt/Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon) is aware of Lensherr's
    mutant capabilities.
    A long way away from Lensherr's woes in a concentration camp, we see a child Charles Xavier, later Professor X getting acquainted with a young Raven Darkholme, who you may no better as the blue shape-shifter Mistique.
    Fast-forward to the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962, we see Xavier (James McAvoy) far from how we know him, a womanising Oxford graduate who is smooth-talking and charming, tagging along behind him is Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence).
    Meanwhile, Magneto (Michael Fassbender) is killing his way through those who tortured him in the past, running into his soon-to-be friend Xavier.
    Thus sets off quite a retro yet whirlwind of entertainment with an ensemble cast including Nicholas Hoult, Rose Byrne, January Jones and uncredited yet brilliantly simple and hilarious cameo from a familiar mutant.
    What was most interesting about First Class was its uniqueness from it trilogy counterpart, it didn't feel similar to them at all, and this was good, its creating its own path, and what an enjoyable path it was. Groundbreaking special effects, particularly a scene of Magneto lifting a submarine out of the water with his manipulation ability of metal.
    Personally, it was the excellently scripted film that was of particular enjoyment, the large ensemble cast feels fresh, and the film isnt afraid to take risks, big egos, big music and large set pieces have set up what could be a very successful and enjoyable chapter in the large world of X-Men.
    The performances of the two leads in McAvoy and Fassbender are fantastically unique, filling big shoes from Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan, they superbly bring their own youth and charisma to the roles, while maintaining the strained relationship that these two mutant heavyweights share.
    Absolutely brilliant and well-thought prequel to a successful franchise, let it continue.
  27. Feb 7, 2013
    Definitely the best X-men film with fantastic action and amazing characters. All the actors in this movie nail their parts and the script wasn't as cheesy as the previous films and the side-characters were more likable. And finally the cameo by Hugh Jackman as wolverine in this movie is amazing, It had me laughing for the rest of the movie.
  28. Feb 6, 2013
    Finally, an X-Men movie that is as good, if not better than, the first two. An amazing success after those other two pieces of crap of which I dare not speak their names! Overall, AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!
  29. Jan 29, 2013
    X-Men: First Class is the first movie in the X-Men timeline. It is set during the Cold War and does a brilliant job of describing the issues of pride and prejudice. Plot: Eric (Micheal Fassbender) is a Jewish boy who watches his mother get abducted during the Holocaust. His anger leads him to use his mutation to control metal. After Shaw (Kevin Bacon) kills his mother, he vows to avenge her. At the same time, Charles (James Mcavoy) who has a mutation that allows him to manipulate the minds of others, meets Raven (Jenifer Lawerence) who has the ability to shape shift and is insecure about her looks. As Shaw and his group of mutants attempt to start WW3 so that nukes will mutate the world, Charles and Eric meet up and recruit other mutants who they train in an attempt to save the world from another world war. My opinion: A very well done masterpiece that shows the true origins of the X-Men. This movie address current problems such as the unbalance of warfare, and insecurities we feel and how we react to those who make us feel such. I reccommend this to anybody who wants to get interested in the X-Men, anyone who has seen the X-Men trilogy, and to those who are interested in conspiracy surrounding the Cold War. Expand
  30. Jan 4, 2013
    As a stand alone film, completely ignoring canon, it's pretty decent. Anyone not knowing a thing about the series outside of the movies will likely highly enjoy it. But, as an avid fan of the comic book series, this movie just takes FAR too many liberties and makes very little sense. Kevin Bacon did a good job with Sebastian Shaw's character and portrays him well, but just did not represent (visually) him that well (not to mention his horrific German. His pronunciation was extremely cringe worthy to anyone who speaks German.) McAvoy & Fassbender are fantastic in their roles and do an almost perfect job of showing Magneto & Xavier in their early days. Everyone else ....... can just be forgotten. I thought this movie is made purely for entertainment and it seems to me that very little thought went into its writing, at least in terms of being true to its source material. While I appreciate what they were trying to do, they should have rather sold it as a reboot rather than a prequel to the other movies. Overall: A huge disappointment to fans of the original comics, but very good for everyone else. (At least it was better than Last Stand.) Expand

1. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Jun 9, 2011
    It's all vastly superior to Brett Ratner's scorched-earth "X-Men: The Last Stand," of course.
  2. Reviewed by: Scott Tobias
    Jun 3, 2011
    It's not the artistry of X-Men: First Class that's particularly striking; though it's finely crafted, the film feels less the product of a visionary director than of the Marvel movies machine working at maximum efficiency.
  3. Reviewed by: Karina Longworth
    Jun 3, 2011
    A cameo from an old-school X-Man only serves to remind how stylish and witty the first installment was a decade ago. Lacking a single memorable joke or striking image, First Class is as perfunctory and passionless as would-be franchise resurrections get.