7.6

1. Sep 21, 2011
    The movie pertains flawed graphics and hurriedly finished character development. However, "X Men" is nevertheless one of the grand comic-based movies of the proud Marvel Studios.
  2. Jun 22, 2011
    This masterpiece is the movie that unleashed the superhero renaissance of the 2000s. As someone who enjoyed X-Men as a kid, I was super excited when I heard they were making a movie, and the movie was indeed worth it.
  3. Aug 8, 2011
    Like SPIDER-MAN and its very simply-named sequels, X-MEN has a lot of action that looks like it's straight out of a comic book that it is based on, something that in my opinion is concise and perfect for the viewer to see. Unlike SPIDER-MAN, SPIDER-MAN 2, and SPIDER-MAN 3, X-MEN is not your typical, cheesy "superhero" flick. If anything, it's much better. Besides the magnificent action, there is a well-explained, clear plot (obviously the inspiration for James Patterson's teen book saga MAXIMUM RIDE, if you are familiar with that); a few pinches of humor here and there (you'll have to watch it to get it); and much more. Expand
  4. Aug 25, 2011
    An interesting and well made comic book movie, with intelligent social commentary and decent action, but ultimately one that doesn't lead anywhere, and ends up feeling like it exists just to build to something we don't get to see (the sequel).
  5. Jul 4, 2012
    A fantastic SUPERHERO MOVIE that lives up to it's comics greatness.
    Great character development, visual effects, action sequences and acting. Total entertainment from beginning to end.
  6. Sep 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well, seeing as how we're starting to get more info these days about the new X-Men First Class film by Matthew Vaughn, I thought maybe it was time to look back and talk about the original X-Men film. First off, I wasn't all that taken with Ian McKellan as Magneto in the film. I mean yeah, the guy is a good actor, but he seemed far far too old for the role. That's just my own personal bias, I admit. But Ian McKellan looked nothing like that. And the thought of him and Mystique having any sort of romantic relationship was really bizarre, because of that age difference. Now, that's a Jim Lee picture of Magneto. Jim Lee does draw everyone as looking like Mr Universe, but it's an exaggerated appearance. That happens a lot in comic books. You can get somewhat close. Somewhere in the ballpark. There's no need to go off in the exact opposite direction. Bottom line... Magneto should've looked somewhat imposing. The guy's a big supervillain, and the main antagonist of the film. Ian McKellan did not look imposing. He looked like an old frail man who would break a hip if someone tripped him.

And the WWII origin is problematic. That is going to become less and less believable as time goes on, and WWII fades further back into the history books. It's just not going to be workable. Look at Iron Man, and what happened there. Tony Stark originally built his Iron Man suit to escape from the Viet Cong, for God's sake. Then Warren Ellis updated it to the war in Afghanistan in his excellent "Extremis" arc. It made sense and brought the character's origin back into relevant memory. They're gonna need to do something similar with Magneto, I'd wager. The origin itself is very good, and certainly provides motivation for the character, but the age is unfeasible as time goes on. In 20 or 30 years, they're still going to be making X-Men films of some sort. Are we going be getting 100+ year old Magnetos then? Deviating from the comics is fine, if it's done well and makes sense and just... improves on the comics. A great example is Venom from Spider-Man TAS. I think just about everybody who's a fan of comics is aware of this one. In the original comics, Spider-Man got the black symbiote suit from Secret Wars, some stupid crossover that probably made no sense and had cosmic beings doing weird stuff. I dunno. But in Spider-Man TAS, they wisely just had it come back from a space shuttle coming back from Mars. Sorta like the beginning of Species 2, now that I think about it. But yeah, it worked so much better as an origin. Even though the origin deviated, we still got Venom. He was still the Venom we knew and liked. He wasn't some old and sickly Venom that looked as thin as a twig.

Also, the film itself, made back in 2000, felt kinda lame. It seemed like there should've been more going on there. Everything felt cheap and budget-y. I guess because it was rather cheap and budget-y, as a film. But that harmed the experience while I was watching. For example... does anybody actually remember what Magneto's lair looked like? Any real notable characteristics? No? Yeah, I don't remember either. It was just this dark circular place, without any distinct identifiable features. It should tell you something.

Probably the lowest point in the film, in my eyes, was the scene right in the middle of the story when we're taken to Xavier's school for the gifted and there's a montage of mutants exercising. And there's this one rather goofy shot of Cyclops doing target practice with clay pigeons. That for me felt incredibly silly and almost campy. Here's this powerful X-man, the leader of the entire group, gifted with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men, and he's just shooting at clay pigeons with his visor. That's what we get to watch? This is how you show us the powers of these mutants? It was also just comical, watching him rapidly swiveling his head this way and that, shooting the pigeons out of the air. I dunno, it got to me. The whole scene felt like a really lame way to show off these uncanny X-men. There's nothing extraordinary about popping some clay pigeons. Instead of building up the power and wonder of this character, it just diminished him in my eyes. And yeah, there's fine control and accuracy involved, sure. That's all well and good. But did it have to look so damn unimpressive and ordinary? A Danger Room session would've shown the same sorta skill, but without horribly underwhelming the audience. These X-men are supposed to protect mutantkind from threats like gigantic Sentinels and what have you, and this is how they train? By shooting at some clay targets? Cmon.
  7. Nov 12, 2012
    This movie only exists because its sequels wouldn't make any sense without it.
  8. May 14, 2014
    The film lacks a lot of action but it makes up for it with an engaging story and some entertaining characters. The films premise and morals give this movie some substance, the main characters (especially the villain and Wolverine) are great, and the effects are pretty good. At times this film can feel like a giant prologue but I think it stands well enough on its own. This is a pretty good movie taking something as silly as characters in a comic book and adapting them to film and making it work. This is one of the films that started the superhero movie craze and I can see why. This is a pretty good movie that is definitely worth your time to watch. Expand
  9. Nov 7, 2010
    great adaptation of the comics
  10. Dec 31, 2013
    X-Men is a very solid super hero flick. Some criticism could be leveled in it's direction concerning a lack of depth, but everything has to start somewhere.
  11. Jun 17, 2011
    It's always challenging to get a new franchise off the ground, and especially if it's part of a genre that's been absent (or rare) for a few years. X-Men only the second big-budget Marvel film adaptation (following Blade a couple of years before), and the only notable superhero film series prior to this were the Superman films of the 70s and 80s and the Burton/Schumacher Batman films of the 80s and 90s. The task of kick-starting a new trend in blockbuster filmmaking fell to Bryan Singer, who succeeded with aplomb. X-Men is dark, brooding and fun. Strong central performances from Jackman, Stewart, McKellen and Paquin emotionally ground the film. The fight scenes and effects are more interesting than groundbreaking, but they would be perfected in the sequel X2. The only main problems with X-Men is some wooden dialogue and a surprisingly underwhelming and predictable finale. It's not a film every superhero movie up to the present is trying to equal, but one that many have surpassed (including it's own sequel). X-Men is a competent enough, and often extremely entertaining film, but only begins to scratch the surface of the superhero blockbuster's potential. Expand
  12. Jun 8, 2011
    It has been a while since I have seen any of the X-Men Movies and I have to admit that I am a sucker for them. Overall the original was amazing and the only problem with the film is the limited amount of likable characters. The only one person that I cared for was Sookie Stackhouse from True Blood who always ends up hanging out with these strange crowds.
  13. Jun 10, 2011
    The story is faithful to the comic books and, while the movie may be too Wolverine centered, it packs a freaky punch that is sure to excite the average moviegoer.
  14. Aug 1, 2011
    Most all reviewers I have read will disagree with me here and say its first sequel was the better film, but for me this first X-men movie was the best. I remember watching the X-men cartoon on Fox and a lot older than I should have been when watching it. While watching that cartoon, I wondered what it would be like to have a movie version of what I was watching. Could it be done? Bryan Singer came along a few years later and showed me it could. I remember seeing an early picture of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine and thinking â Expand
  15. Aug 27, 2011
    A great superhero movie with a lot of interesting subtexts and a really extraordinary concept. This is probably the only movie out there where teenage angst actually works, the cast mostly work - with the exception of Halle Berry who was just bland. The plot was very intricately done as there are at least four sub-plots and all the characters are fleshed out yet the film never gets convoluted nor its pace bogged down. It did get a bit predictable and the visual effects were inconsistent, but overall love it!! Highly recommended. Expand
  16. Sep 21, 2011
  17. Aug 17, 2012
    This film is amazing! The characters were awesome and the genetic code plot was very well crafted! Good choice of actors - it was good to see actors other than American ones at the top of the list. I think these films will grow on me, I can't wait for the next ones. Partly fascinating, partly disturbing, partly funny, partly almost everything. Not to mention, Hugh Jackman is incredibly sexy as Wolverine. Damn. Expand
  18. Nov 23, 2011
    I quite liked this film, it (mostly) got the feel of the X-men well. The acting was good and the storyline was decent. Not anything more than a 7 out of ten though, just doesn't seem right to give it a better score.
  19. May 25, 2012
    The action scenes could be better but the overall story here is top notch.
  20. May 24, 2013
    To agree with another review, this film was certainly the kick-starter if you will to a surge in superhero films that have now lasted 13 years later...yes, this film is that old, but it certainly doesn't show it.
    X-Men stays true its roots but also brings the franchise into a new generation, with various callbacks to the older comic books and subtle pop cultured dialogue mixed into the
    very dialogued yet visually stunning film.
    Marie, or Rogue (Anna Paquin) is your typical teenager making plans for life while moving ever closer to boys, but when touches anyone else's skin, she realises she has an extraordinary yet deadly and burdening power, sucking the energy out of the one she touches.
    Deciding she is better off away from those she loves, she meets an isolated and run down man with extraordinary abilities, these people are called mutants, and there is more than she thinks, this one in particular is arguably the most famous, played by Hugh Jackman we are introduced to Logan, better known as Wolverine.
    When they are rescued after an attack, they soon learn about Charles Xavier, Professor X (Patrick Stewart), and his school of young mutants, hoping to harness their powers, but on the other side of the war against the humans is Magneto (Ian McKellan) who believes that if the humans ever pass laws for mutant registration, the mutants will no longer be safe.
    The film expertly tells a story where we are never quite sure whose side to be on, the heart says this and the brain says that sort of scenario, which is truly down to the wonderful acting at play here, especially from Jackman, Stewart and McKellan, who create this very predicament.
    The film is not without its flaws, as many have said, it does always begin to build up to something that we know we aren't going to see, and there is very heavy focus on certain characters, where the film could have worked with a wider array of the X-Men.
    The special effects are magnificent to watch, whether Storm (Halle Berry) is creating thunder and lightning in the sky or the beautiful shape-shifter Mystique is taking various forms to suit her goal, this is truly a stepping stone to what many superhero films in the years that followed aspired to.
    A solid starting point for the band of mutants, with well written and humorous moments blended in with groundbreaking special effects that can only get better, and characters that can only become more appealing and heroic.
  21. Dec 1, 2011
    It was ok. No where near as good as it could have been but it was worth sitting through and watching it. The acting was ok and it never really capitalizes on the cast's talents. The graphics and special effects are a bit too generic as well.
  22. Feb 24, 2013
    I'd actually never seen the first x-men movie. It defiantly filled in the holes I had from the other movies. In general, I am not a fan of superhero movies, they are ridiculous and usually don't have any kind of a decent plot, this movie is different. The story is about fighting discrimination, something many of us can easily relate to...and while the special effects are way over the top, they are most defiantly unique. Hugh Jackman as Wolverine makes the movie and his interplay with cyclops was genius. The second one is still my favorite, but this one was still really good. I highly recommend both it and the rest of the trilogy. Expand
  23. Mar 8, 2014
    A decent start to the X-Men series. It's for sure not one of Marvel's greatest, but the movie does provide plenty of fun and cool scenes. Of course some of the visuals are not as great as visuals seen today.
  24. Dec 6, 2012
    Exactly what I would expect for a super-hero movie. Lots of action, great special effects, great acting, in particular: Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, Patrick Stewart as Xavier and Ian McKellen as Magneto are great! I have never read the comics so I don't know how it compares to those but the characters behaved how I expected from watching the cartoons as a kid and also from how my friends described them from the comics and how they looked from the comics my friends showed me. An entertaining movie, and one of the better super-hero movies I have seen. Expand
  25. Jul 5, 2013
    Really good acting,writing,music,costume,visuals and action. But the CGI effects and pacing is kind of ghetto..........................................
  26. Feb 6, 2013
    Amazing movie, this perfectly captures the awesomeness that is X-Men in 106 minutes of awesome. Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart are amazing. The movie leaves you wanting more.
  27. Jul 29, 2013
    Fans of the comic books will spot plenty of in-jokes and clever touches in David Hayter's screenplay. There are also cameos from Kitty Pride and Bobby Drake, aka Iceman. Action sequences are choreographed and edited to within an inch of their lives, combining every trick in the book to make the duels between good and evil as spectacular as possible. As an aperitif before the main course X-Men 2 in 2002 Singer's film guarantees plenty of larger-than-life action and more style than you can shake Wolverine's claws at. You come out of the cinema hungry for more, though sadly not for all the right reasons. Expand
  28. Feb 27, 2013
    The superior cast and well crafted dialogue doesn't quite quell the underwhelming feeling brought about by a story that should reflect the best of the comics, but instead is unfocused and flirts with mediocrity.
  29. May 19, 2013
    The first portion of the group of mutants begins well with a plot acceptable, with action scenes a bit outdated, but with a strong cast and a good exeplo how to start a franchise.
  30. Oct 16, 2014
    One of the most unique and spectacular superhero movie that's been made.

X-Men is one heck of a ride, it’s so amazing. It highlights many ethical questions like how we define our species and how different we are from each other. It illustrates how people can react to the unknown, in this case mutants. X-Men is a powerful movie with groovy action sequences, and there’s always something
    going on, so I never got bored! In might got some slow scenes but it totally is a great superhero film! The opening scene and the ending are both great and the CGI is incredible, much better than X-Men Origins: Wolverine. The film is overall very unique and it’s also highly entertaining. The actors are all incredible, the best are of course Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen. Anna Paquin as Rouge might be a less perfect actor, but in the end is she okay. The story of X-Men is superb, and you can in a way interact with the main villain and why he do what he do. The soundtrack isn’t as powerful as I would define as awesome, but it’s close!

X-Men is a spectacular film that’s got wonderful actors and a wonderful story. It’s so great!

X-Men get a 8/10
  31. Aug 17, 2013
    Although some of the special effects tend to feel dated, overall, the film delivers with stylish action, dedicated performances, and a well constructed story that'll leave audiences wanting more.
  32. Nov 2, 2013
    A movie wit good cast, good effects (although outdated by now), and a good storyline and packed with action. But it suffers from generic clichés like most movies out there nowadays although unlike them it has the little things that i personally like to see in a movie and i don't see them very often.
  33. Apr 24, 2014
    I'm not a fan of X-Men, but the technical aspects of the movie are the biggest reason for my 6 rating. The CGI and effects aren't that great, and the characters never really connect with us emotionally for us to be fully invested in them or the story.
  34. Oct 27, 2013
    at this time the super heroe movies wasn´t as much popular as today,but this movie is absolutely great,is not the bestsuper heroe movie ever made but is an important film.
  35. Nov 13, 2013
    A great film through and through. The point in which it suffers is the third act where it becomes clear that the producers didn't have the budget for all the powers they wanted to portray.
  36. Nov 12, 2013
    X-Men excites.
    X-Men captures super-hero lovers and action movie fanatics with a well paced plot and well acted characters. Enjoy this triumphant hero flick.
  37. Jul 7, 2014
    Not a fan of X-Men, but this film comes with a satisfying plot (faithful to the comics), good action, good comedy and a good character development. Really good!
  38. Aug 24, 2014
    I never thought I would say this but X-Men is now one of my favorite superhero movies. I never paid attention to the X-Men series when I was a kid and now being a teenager I wish I had paid attention.

There was never a dull moment in this movie which I think is why I love this movie so much. The movie was very fast-paced and it gets to the point of the story without indulging into many
    backstories.

The concept and the setting is awesome and clever and it made me wish I was a student of Professor X.

This movie also made me care about the characters even the ones from Magneto’s side. My favorite character in the entire movie is Professor X and his power to mind control everyone around him is the power I really wanted. I am glad Sir. Patrick Stewart took the role. I am having some cosplay ideas right now.

The humor of this movie is the reason why Marvel movies are so awesome. They don’t take itself too seriously despite the darkness in the tone of their movies.

The direction from Bryan Singer and the writing of the movie is great and awesome. Even for a movie that is released on 2000, the special effects were realistic.

It’s no wonder why people love the X-Men movies. I hope the next X-Men movie would be either great as this one or even better than this one.
  39. Aug 15, 2014
    The first movie in the X-Men franchise is one of the best. It's fun, exciting, and full of ideas. Racism and equality is addressed throughout the movie. The humans hate the mutants, the mutants hate the humans, etc. The characters are excellently cast. By now, we all know that Hugh Jackman is definitely the only person who could play Wolverine, and Ian McKellen shines as Magneto. It's a good movie, and definitely one of the better Marvel movies I've seen. Expand
  40. Aug 16, 2014
    This movie was decent. It wasn't good; it wasn't great. People lie to themselves and say this is a really spectacular movie. It isn't. If you don't have an invested interest in the X-Men, you'll complain about the mediocre special effects, the poor pacing, and the lack of information about the characters. The movie is an hour and 40 minutes long, which isn't too long. You can at least make the fans that aren't X-Men educated at least somewhat informed. X-Men fanboys will have things to complain about as well. This movie is the one that is a lot about Rogue, and they don't take advantage of her enough. Also, popular mutants like Gambit aren't in it either. There's a lot of things I'm griping about here, so I will give this movie justice and say that these weaknesses aren't huge. This movie is ok, but it's not too much better than Last Stand, Spiderman 3, and Fantastic 4. Probably when it was made it was really good in comparison to the superhero movies of its time, but it's a lot worse than First Class and Days of Future Past. 5/10 is a fair rating making it the second worst of the five pure X-Men movies. It's a lot closer to a 6 than a 4, though. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Cody Clark
    The best kind of summer blockbuster -- the kind that makes you immediately crave a sequel.
  2. The mood is awfully dark for an escapist fantasy, though, and the high-tech mayhem gets repetitious.
  3. Reviewed by: Ernest Hardy
    A very odd cinematic creature.