Yes Man

7.9

1. Aronj
    Jan 14, 2009
    Its definitely not Jim Carrey's funnist work, not enough physical comedy for him. But i hate how people look past rhys darby, he has such a different sense of humor that I've never seen before, it shines in the show flight of the conchords.
  2. Sep 25, 2011
    Jim Carrey needs to perform in better, funnier movies with optimism...
  3. Sep 2, 2012
    an extreme below average movie. Not Jim carey at his best. Not funny, just a bunch of rehashed garbage recycled over and over again. I would usually watch Jim carey's movies again but not this one.
  4. James
    Jan 5, 2009
    It was alright.... From the reviews I've read the biggest problem people have with it is that "it's just another Jim Carrey movie." "Same old same old" And before I saw the movie I found no reason to fault that. I've liked most of his movies I've seen in the past, and I'd watch them again, so how could I go wrong? The problem lies in the fact that although it is It was alright.... From the reviews I've read the biggest problem people have with it is that "it's just another Jim Carrey movie." "Same old same old" And before I saw the movie I found no reason to fault that. I've liked most of his movies I've seen in the past, and I'd watch them again, so how could I go wrong? The problem lies in the fact that although it is another standard Jim Carrey movie... its not a very good one. The humor is rather predictable, and there are plenty of moments in the film where you just go, "That wouldn't happen. That's stupid." And something about it reminded me more of Failure to Launch than Liar Liar. Really not the most impressive comedy on his resume. It's a typical Jim Carrey comedy, without the typical Jim Carey comedy. Expand
  5. EssiS
    Apr 5, 2009
    Yes Man starts out as a typical Hollywood comedy; predictable and pretty badly written. But it evolves towards the end and the message of the film is actually pretty good. Jim Carrey was also surprisingly good in this movie. Although I really like him, he has done his share of mediocre comedies most part of his career.
  6. JayH
    Apr 4, 2009
    Likable but rather empty comedy. Very typical of Jim Carrey, but very much lacks originality. It's just a rehash of numerous of his earlier films. Zooey Deschanel is charming though.
  7. ChadS.
    Dec 21, 2008
    "Yes Man" resembles former NYC mayor Rudy Giuliani, both movie and man like to bring up 9/11, regardless of time or place, regardless of the context. The FBI think they might be terrorists: Carl(Jim Carrey) and Allison(Zooey Deschanel) fly to Lincoln, are nabbed in Lincoln, bringing their Jack Kerouac-like adventure to a crashing halt, and in the process, crashing the film. "Yes Man" "Yes Man" resembles former NYC mayor Rudy Giuliani, both movie and man like to bring up 9/11, regardless of time or place, regardless of the context. The FBI think they might be terrorists: Carl(Jim Carrey) and Allison(Zooey Deschanel) fly to Lincoln, are nabbed in Lincoln, bringing their Jack Kerouac-like adventure to a crashing halt, and in the process, crashing the film. "Yes Man" isn't big enough for terrorism; it's just a modest romantic comedy about living life to the max, and more importantly, caving in to your impulses. The man who invites Carl to the seminar throws a brick into the bank's plate glass window. Instead of making the allusion to terrorists being the ultimate yes men as an obstacle for the couple to overcome, the film should have eschewed the tackiness that comes along with dredging up the fallen towers, and showed how saying "yes" all the time, slowly becomes a hazard to Carl's life, and for those who orbit it. "Yes Man" should have treated Carl's single-minded tendency to say "no", then "yes", as an outgrowth of OCD, or better still, manic-depression. Saying "yes" as a descent into madness, but that's too ambitious for a film like "Yes Man", whose populist sensibility makes allowances for Carl's period of answering in the negative, a result of his lingering feelings for the ex-wife. The scene in which Carl overcaffeinates himself with Red Bull, hints at what a more ambitious "Yes Man" would look like. Expand
  8. AngeloM.
    Jan 1, 2009
    Funny and slightly enlightening, but its message is a little late. Had this been released in the uptight 80's or even the 90's I'm sure it would have been a epic splash. Nonetheless, the blatant sexual overtones broke the upbeat and positive tune that it had going for it. I don't care what passes for mainstream humor, the whole sex with the elderly woman just disgusts Funny and slightly enlightening, but its message is a little late. Had this been released in the uptight 80's or even the 90's I'm sure it would have been a epic splash. Nonetheless, the blatant sexual overtones broke the upbeat and positive tune that it had going for it. I don't care what passes for mainstream humor, the whole sex with the elderly woman just disgusts me, as it should for the idiots who let it pass as PG-13. Expand
  9. Sep 22, 2011
    I was expecting laughs with tears when I thought of Jim Carrey in a comedy movie, with the last few movies I watched of his being The Mask, Ace Ventura, and Cable Guy. He was great in the number 23 thriller too. This was a let down! I agree with the message of the story though - "yes" does open up a world of possibilities.
  10. Jan 1, 2011
    Not Jim Carrey's best. There was some funny moments but it wasn't a spectacular movie. Maybe worth watching once though.
  11. Feb 21, 2011
    I thought it was a well round innocent fun comedy flick. Yes man has its up and downs and might be corny for most. Certainly not Jim Carreys best but I enjoyed it, had me laughing and also had a moving/calm side to it.
  12. Jun 12, 2011
    Nothing overly exciting. It does bring back a bunch of memories of liar liar but I felt like it fixed some of the issues with that movie, but it also makes a few problems. Saying yes to everything should have led to some more legal problems then this, but the supporting cast in this was better then liar liar. This is a cute movie that makes some good laughs but one that you don't need toNothing overly exciting. It does bring back a bunch of memories of liar liar but I felt like it fixed some of the issues with that movie, but it also makes a few problems. Saying yes to everything should have led to some more legal problems then this, but the supporting cast in this was better then liar liar. This is a cute movie that makes some good laughs but one that you don't need to see more then once. Expand
  13. Dec 23, 2011
    The ending may be rushed, but a funny and somewhat unique idea is well executed in Yes Man. I really liked Jim Carrey's performance and this comedy may be worth watching.

1. Carrey's most satisfying live-action effort since "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind."
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Genial but slim, picture is certainly a light-hearted alternative to weighty year-end awards bait, but the conceit isn't realized fully enough.
    Yes Man is nothing more than warmed-over holiday seconds, a repackaged best-of for those who already own the hits.