6.9

1. Oct 7, 2013
    You may consider You're Next a cheesy, corny and cliched horror movie, but it is, almost, the opposite of that. You're Next is the new horror movie written by Simon Barret (V/H/S) and directed by Adam Wingard (A Horrible way to die) & (V/H/S). This movie is considered as horror, but I consider it as a dark comedy because yes, although I jumped a couple of times but I laughed much more inYou may consider You're Next a cheesy, corny and cliched horror movie, but it is, almost, the opposite of that. You're Next is the new horror movie written by Simon Barret (V/H/S) and directed by Adam Wingard (A Horrible way to die) & (V/H/S). This movie is considered as horror, but I consider it as a dark comedy because yes, although I jumped a couple of times but I laughed much more in this movie. Most reviews are mediocre I agree, it is somehow cliched but it is more twisted, entertaining and funny than cliched, cheesy and corny. The acting is mediocre at times and at times it is somehow good. It is a fresh entry to the horror genre, and one of the better horror flicks I have seen the past recent years. I will purchase it and will watch it again. Expand
  2. Aug 23, 2013
    One of the worst films I have ever seen. The characters actions were so stupid that it was unbelievable and the entire theater was laughing, including me. Acting was sketchy throughout. The plot was good per say but felt empty. The twist were some what interesting, Camera work was good. The poor acting and moronic characters ruined this for me, especially since I have been keeping tabs onOne of the worst films I have ever seen. The characters actions were so stupid that it was unbelievable and the entire theater was laughing, including me. Acting was sketchy throughout. The plot was good per say but felt empty. The twist were some what interesting, Camera work was good. The poor acting and moronic characters ruined this for me, especially since I have been keeping tabs on this film since I saw the first trailer. Though I give them bonus point because Sharni Vinson was awesome in it and super attractive. Expand
  3. Aug 23, 2013
    Overall, there’s enough innovation and enthusiasm for the horror genre present in You’re Next to make it worth recommending to gore-hounds and hardcore horror lovers even though the movie doesn’t succeed at hitting all the big marks it aims for. Just don’t expect to leave the theater feeling all that unnerved or extra conscious about needing to lock your doors, once you get home.
  4. Oct 6, 2013
    After I saw the trailer when I went to see the movie "The Conjuring", I wanted to see the movie so bad. Well I just saw it the same day I wrote this review and it was good. There were some other people that were saying "Worst movie ever!" Good horror sequences and unique. I mean, in what other movie do you get to see murderers wear animal masks? You have Ghostface from "Scream" wearing aAfter I saw the trailer when I went to see the movie "The Conjuring", I wanted to see the movie so bad. Well I just saw it the same day I wrote this review and it was good. There were some other people that were saying "Worst movie ever!" Good horror sequences and unique. I mean, in what other movie do you get to see murderers wear animal masks? You have Ghostface from "Scream" wearing a screaming crying mask, Michael Myers from "Halloween" wearing a ghost white mask and your Jason from "Friday the 13th" wearing your old classic hockey mask. Well the beginning of the movie actually starts with a man and a woman in a house in the forest when you meet fox-face. That's my nickname for him. The words "You're Next" written with blood on the sliding glass door was a good job. After that beginning scene, you actually meet the father and the mother of the family. The problem though is that the mother is probably the most overly dramatic character in the movie. She is kind of corny. After everyone arrived at the house, she said like a little speech that was kinda awkward. After she heard a huge bang and some footsteps above she panics and says to her husband that someone is upstairs. So she says that they should leave but he says that he is going to check it out. She refuses but after he gets a weapon, she finally says yes. It turns out that the noise was caused by their son Crispian. It was the next night that the hunters attack. The actors do a good job except Erin and OH MY GOD she is an idiot. When Aimee got her throat slit by a razor sharp wire right outside the door, she just stood there with a bored-like expression on her face. Not to mention that she is also so dull. She never amazes you and not to mention that she is transformed from a random girl that is trapped in a house to a Arnold Schwarzenegger commando. Fights back to the hunters and not to mention that sometimes she just stands in one place like a statue. Enough about the characters. What about the setting? Fantastic. The house is a nice touch and the corridors are tight and raises the suspension. There is a part when fox-face crept out from under the bed and just not so stealth killed someone (who I am not going to spoil). The sound is also fresh and hits at the perfect time either after a kill or when a hunter pops out from a corner. For my full written review, check out http://vgasgames.weebly.com/ Expand
  5. Aug 23, 2013
    Wow! Was this supposed to be scary? I thought I was being generous with my 5 rating. It was OK, but no where near as good as people make it out to be. It seemed like a total B movie, bad dialog, acting, cheesy music. I cannot believe this is 80% on on Rottentomatoes and 67 on Metacritic, unbelievable.
  6. Aug 26, 2013
    Just a normal horror movie. Kind of like "The Strangers". This movie kind of doesn't make any sense, in a way. And, it isn't even scary. "The Conjuring" is a much better choice.
  7. Jan 5, 2014
    Nothing about it screams originality, but it still exciting to watch people die in gory disturbing ways. It knows not to take itself seriously and allows for some amusing moments.
  8. Aug 26, 2013
    Super violent gory horror movie!!! There isn't one thing impressive in it, so high praise is unjustified. It slightly above average movie, with some plot holes and some interesting twists!
  9. Oct 5, 2013
    Hey I wanna give 7 not 6 for the score! So I just submit new score as 8 to combine with 6 to make 7, do you get that? The movie is not so bad, but some scenes were too cruel.
  10. Aug 27, 2013
    With supernatural killers like Jason, you allow for reality to be questioned, but with reality-based baddies you expect a certain logic. That was the biggest problem with this film: so much of it didn't make sense. The home-invasion scenario has an adult family gathered in the country to celebrate their parents anniversary. One by one they're dispatched with quick brutality by men in dumbWith supernatural killers like Jason, you allow for reality to be questioned, but with reality-based baddies you expect a certain logic. That was the biggest problem with this film: so much of it didn't make sense. The home-invasion scenario has an adult family gathered in the country to celebrate their parents anniversary. One by one they're dispatched with quick brutality by men in dumb animal masks. The action isn't especially original, the scares are basic and there's almost no suspense. If I'd been able to forget about the stupid lapses in reason, it might have been more gripping. "The Purge" did it better. Expand
  11. Jan 16, 2014
    Disappointing considering all of the positive reception it got. It's not scary, but then again I wasn't expecting it to be. I was expecting it to be an enjoyable home-invasion flick that provided something new and exciting. Unfortunately "You're Next" failed to deliver thanks to it's unlikable characters, bad acting, and unbelievable situations.

The plot here actually isn't that bad.

The plot here actually isn't that bad. The dysfunctional family situation actually adds some humor to the mix, but ultimately it ends up feeling worthless in the end considering how boring the movie is as a whole. I didn't like a single character in the film as none of them acted like real human beings. The main character is the only one in the movie who isn't a complete moron. The irrationality of the characters makes the whole film feel unbelievable. I disliked the characters so much that I actually was hoping that all of them would end up being butchered by the killers. The cast's bad acting didn't help the situation.

Slasher flicks have never scared me, but I've always found them to be entertaining for their gory and uniquely amusing kills. Unfortunately "You're Next" doesn't have any of those, so really this movie is just plain boring. There's an unbelievably slow start to the movie, and even when things finally start to pick up it doesn't take long for any sort of tension to just completely disappear from the entire film. The only attempts the movie will make to scare is through lame jump scares that fall flat. If you're looking for horror then look elsewhere, because there's none to be found here.

Overall I don't recommend this movie. With all of it's positive critical reception the film looked like it had big promise, but it ended up just letting me down. There are a few moments where it looks like the film is onto something, but it never capitalizes on what that is. I found it to be just another forgettable home-invasion flick that failed to deliver. My personal recommendation is that you pass on this one.
  12. Sep 4, 2013
    Nobody understands the fact that this movie was the way it was supposed to be. It's not supposed to be 100% serious and it wasn't 100% jokes. It made fun of itself and all the horror cliche's. Some people need to do more research of their movies before going to see them. You're Next was fun, intense and gory. It was a good time at the movies, simple as that. If you enjoy the evil deadNobody understands the fact that this movie was the way it was supposed to be. It's not supposed to be 100% serious and it wasn't 100% jokes. It made fun of itself and all the horror cliche's. Some people need to do more research of their movies before going to see them. You're Next was fun, intense and gory. It was a good time at the movies, simple as that. If you enjoy the evil dead films or slasher films that aren't completely serious then you will enjoy it. If your looking for a movie to scare you to death then look somewhere else. I recommend You're Next but only if you can enjoy a little fun in your horror. 6.5/10 Expand
  13. Aug 29, 2013
    Suspenseful, a decent plot, and predictable. This movie was entertaining and I enjoyed. Don't expect an award-winning movie, instead enjoy it for what it is and you won't be disappointed. I liked it.
  14. Jan 18, 2014
    “You’re Next” does do quite a few things right. The music is fantastic, the overall visual presentation looks tremendous and fits well in the horror/thriller genre and, even though the scares are cheap, they are quite effective. However, the acting isn’t too special, the story gets repetitive and doesn’t feel like it’s enough to fill up an hour and a half, and the motivation for why the“You’re Next” does do quite a few things right. The music is fantastic, the overall visual presentation looks tremendous and fits well in the horror/thriller genre and, even though the scares are cheap, they are quite effective. However, the acting isn’t too special, the story gets repetitive and doesn’t feel like it’s enough to fill up an hour and a half, and the motivation for why the killers are attacking the family is super cheesy and was way too easy for me to figure out very early on in the film. While the movie does look good, it just feels too much like any other thriller that involves masked men attacking an isolated group of people. Collapse
  15. Sep 4, 2013
    This movie was a bit of letdown. I didn't have high expectations going in, but this movie wasn't even credible in the slightest. I understand that most horror movies generally don't allow the user to suspend disbelief, but this movie takes it to another level. What really made me cringe was the awful dialogue. In particular, the line, me next to your dead mother." Do me a favor. What isThis movie was a bit of letdown. I didn't have high expectations going in, but this movie wasn't even credible in the slightest. I understand that most horror movies generally don't allow the user to suspend disbelief, but this movie takes it to another level. What really made me cringe was the awful dialogue. In particular, the line, me next to your dead mother." Do me a favor. What is good about this movie though, is the sound and camera work. For an independent film, they are very impressive. It's just the poor dialogue, and utter lack of realism that was the letdown. This is basically a modern day "Scream". But these days, movies like "Scream" are passe. Nothing original here folks. And you know a horror movie is particularly bad when the audience watching it is *laughing* at how bad it is. It was still better than Blair Witch Project though, which was the last independent horror film I saw at the theater. As we all know though, that isn't saying very much. Not a complete waste of money, but not a movie I'd watch again. Expand
  16. Apr 18, 2015
    This film was quite interesting but to be honest it wasn't fully a horror, It was more of a thriller of sorts. There are some pretty cool and creepy scenes in it and you can clearly see where some inspirations for the far greater "The Guest" comes from but overall this film kinda seems to fall a little flat. It has a pretty unique premise and showing some of the antagonists emotions andThis film was quite interesting but to be honest it wasn't fully a horror, It was more of a thriller of sorts. There are some pretty cool and creepy scenes in it and you can clearly see where some inspirations for the far greater "The Guest" comes from but overall this film kinda seems to fall a little flat. It has a pretty unique premise and showing some of the antagonists emotions and feelings could've worked really well here but in seems like Wingard didn't follow through. He makes a relatively interesting thriller to watch but nothing really sticks out. It's dark and sinister, but nothing that stands out. Acting is not too bad overall but nothing too get excited over. Also, this film suffers from a similar problem "The Guest" had. It's exposition is handed to you so obviously and suddenly that it kind of takes away from the film a bit. Worth a pick up maybe for a cheap price but nothing that should be on your "To get" list. Expand
  17. May 25, 2014
    This was a so-so who-dunnit. My only comment is that A.J. Bowen is too gay to be desired by his co-star. Mom/Dad's acting weak. Wd like to see what happens in You're Next Part Deux.
  18. Oct 26, 2014
    This movie does not deserve the ratings it got; it is a predictable, half action movie with poor actors and thin, fake characters. The plot leaves something to be desired and leaves you cringing in the end with the lame quote "why not?"

1. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Aug 28, 2013
    Wingard’s film is its own subset of fractious family crazy.
  2. Reviewed by: Anna Smith
    Aug 27, 2013
    A solid watch for gore fans.
  3. Reviewed by: Bilge Ebiri
    Aug 26, 2013
    Maybe, in another time and place, and with different actors and a better director, it might have worked. But this thing collapses right from the get-go.