6.7

1. Feb 15, 2014
    The unique and mysterious horror comedy that brings back the feeling of Wes Craven's "Scream" Both witty and horrific "You're next" is one brilliant horror film.
  2. Feb 12, 2014
    The movie started off extremely slow, but I kept on watching hoping it would get better. But it didn't. The movie has no scares, only laughs. watching this movie, it remind me of home alone and then at the end turns into a Rambo!
  3. Jan 28, 2014
    Good film - the story was very tightly told, great pacing, great acting, outstanding action, and the cinematography was awesome. On top of all that, I love how the filmmakers turned the home invasion sub-genre completely upside down. This is the type of film that The Purge wanted so hard to be. In fact, this is the type of film that so many films want to be like. In short, this film is amazing. I watched it twice, something that I rarely do with movies. Expand
  4. Jan 26, 2014
    "You're Next" es una buena pelicula de suspenso, con un excelente argumento y buenos personajes, es una pelicula que mantiene su suspenso y nunca se sabe que va a pasar.
  5. Jan 19, 2014
    Slow pacing at the beginning forced me to FF alot until the killing began and then it was a soul-numbing blood-bath of psychotia. This type of film may work for some but not for me.
  6. Jan 18, 2014
    “You’re Next” does do quite a few things right. The music is fantastic, the overall visual presentation looks tremendous and fits well in the horror/thriller genre and, even though the scares are cheap, they are quite effective. However, the acting isn’t too special, the story gets repetitive and doesn’t feel like it’s enough to fill up an hour and a half, and the motivation for why the killers are attacking the family is super cheesy and was way too easy for me to figure out very early on in the film. While the movie does look good, it just feels too much like any other thriller that involves masked men attacking an isolated group of people. Expand
  7. Jan 17, 2014
    This was so well done. It has dark comedy and incredibly violent death scenes that leave you thinking "that couldn't have been better", and those masks are just as disturbing as they are funny. They didn't bother with the likes of Jason Voorhess or Michael Myers. These killers are entirely killable! So you get that same vengeance theme shared by Last House on the Left and I Spit On Your Grave, however, NO RAPE SCENES! This was great fun to watch and I recommend it to any fan of the genre. Expand
  8. Jan 16, 2014
    Disappointing considering all of the positive reception it got. It's not scary, but then again I wasn't expecting it to be. I was expecting it to be an enjoyable home-invasion flick that provided something new and exciting. Unfortunately "You're Next" failed to deliver thanks to it's unlikable characters, bad acting, and unbelievable situations.

The plot here actually isn't that bad.
    The dysfunctional family situation actually adds some humor to the mix, but ultimately it ends up feeling worthless in the end considering how boring the movie is as a whole. I didn't like a single character in the film as none of them acted like real human beings. The main character is the only one in the movie who isn't a complete moron. The irrationality of the characters makes the whole film feel unbelievable. I disliked the characters so much that I actually was hoping that all of them would end up being butchered by the killers. The cast's bad acting didn't help the situation.

Slasher flicks have never scared me, but I've always found them to be entertaining for their gory and uniquely amusing kills. Unfortunately "You're Next" doesn't have any of those, so really this movie is just plain boring. There's an unbelievably slow start to the movie, and even when things finally start to pick up it doesn't take long for any sort of tension to just completely disappear from the entire film. The only attempts the movie will make to scare is through lame jump scares that fall flat. If you're looking for horror then look elsewhere, because there's none to be found here.

Overall I don't recommend this movie. With all of it's positive critical reception the film looked like it had big promise, but it ended up just letting me down. There are a few moments where it looks like the film is onto something, but it never capitalizes on what that is. I found it to be just another forgettable home-invasion flick that failed to deliver. My personal recommendation is that you pass on this one.
  9. Jan 16, 2014
    not only was it **** up, but it was **** up in a smart, and often funny way. Its well filmed, the actors are believable and the twist 's are not as predictable as I thought they would be. Its all very well done. Even the gore effects are top notch.
    Bottom line I think You're Next is an A film. And a big delight to most horror fans.
  10. Jan 15, 2014
    This is just another cheap slasher film that tries to add a slight twist and a little style but overall it fails to add any new ground. The main female character saves this film from an F. D-
  11. Jan 15, 2014
    An R rated and more suspenseful "Home Alone" type film for horror fans, a Joe Pesci appearance behind the mask would have made it... Fun, gory and awesome female lead. Won't disappoint when compared to latest horror films since "The Loved Ones".
  12. Jan 14, 2014
    How the **** did a film like this a 66 overall critic review? It sucked so hard it's not even funny. Acting was ok but the predictable plot and lack of quality gore really disappointed me. Don't even bother with this trash, It's a straight to video horror film at best.
  13. Jan 8, 2014
    Finally a horror thriller full of blood, suspense, humor and action! the cinematography it's perfect is not the same cliche when the killers are mysterious and only show his face at the end and never are the victims! and Sharni Vinson was perfect.
  14. Jan 5, 2014
    Nothing about it screams originality, but it still exciting to watch people die in gory disturbing ways. It knows not to take itself seriously and allows for some amusing moments.
  15. Jan 3, 2014
    Best horror film of 2013 even better than Insidious 2 & The Conjuring. It delivers on being sexy, tense, graphic, and the story delivers with a kick-ass heroine. Love that this is an indie success story filled with a bunch of indie-horror filmmakers (Ti West, Adam Wingard, Joe Swanberg, Larry Fesseden).
  16. Jan 3, 2014
    The movie is a complete joke. It reveals itself so early in the film, that the last half hour is nothing more than a bunch of gruesome deaths. The acting was actually scarier than the film and the entire premise was foolish.
  17. Dec 29, 2013
    Good performances, good direction, good plot, good scares, good scenes of blood, the main actress is overwhelming, with a final good over there.......
  18. Oct 27, 2013
    If you could bypass some of the characters' logic and the unoriginal concept, You're Next will be very entertaining film with it's fast-paced thrills and table-turning premise of a home-invasion film.
  19. Oct 7, 2013
    You may consider You're Next a cheesy, corny and cliched horror movie, but it is, almost, the opposite of that. You're Next is the new horror movie written by Simon Barret (V/H/S) and directed by Adam Wingard (A Horrible way to die) & (V/H/S). This movie is considered as horror, but I consider it as a dark comedy because yes, although I jumped a couple of times but I laughed much more in this movie. Most reviews are mediocre I agree, it is somehow cliched but it is more twisted, entertaining and funny than cliched, cheesy and corny. The acting is mediocre at times and at times it is somehow good. It is a fresh entry to the horror genre, and one of the better horror flicks I have seen the past recent years. I will purchase it and will watch it again. Expand
  20. Oct 6, 2013
    After I saw the trailer when I went to see the movie "The Conjuring", I wanted to see the movie so bad. Well I just saw it the same day I wrote this review and it was good. There were some other people that were saying "Worst movie ever!" Good horror sequences and unique. I mean, in what other movie do you get to see murderers wear animal masks? You have Ghostface from "Scream" wearing a screaming crying mask, Michael Myers from "Halloween" wearing a ghost white mask and your Jason from "Friday the 13th" wearing your old classic hockey mask. Well the beginning of the movie actually starts with a man and a woman in a house in the forest when you meet fox-face. That's my nickname for him. The words "You're Next" written with blood on the sliding glass door was a good job. After that beginning scene, you actually meet the father and the mother of the family. The problem though is that the mother is probably the most overly dramatic character in the movie. She is kind of corny. After everyone arrived at the house, she said like a little speech that was kinda awkward. After she heard a huge bang and some footsteps above she panics and says to her husband that someone is upstairs. So she says that they should leave but he says that he is going to check it out. She refuses but after he gets a weapon, she finally says yes. It turns out that the noise was caused by their son Crispian. It was the next night that the hunters attack. The actors do a good job except Erin and OH MY GOD she is an idiot. When Aimee got her throat slit by a razor sharp wire right outside the door, she just stood there with a bored-like expression on her face. Not to mention that she is also so dull. She never amazes you and not to mention that she is transformed from a random girl that is trapped in a house to a Arnold Schwarzenegger commando. Fights back to the hunters and not to mention that sometimes she just stands in one place like a statue. Enough about the characters. What about the setting? Fantastic. The house is a nice touch and the corridors are tight and raises the suspension. There is a part when fox-face crept out from under the bed and just not so stealth killed someone (who I am not going to spoil). The sound is also fresh and hits at the perfect time either after a kill or when a hunter pops out from a corner. For my full written review, check out http://vgasgames.weebly.com/ Expand
  21. Oct 5, 2013
    Hey I wanna give 7 not 6 for the score! So I just submit new score as 8 to combine with 6 to make 7, do you get that? The movie is not so bad, but some scenes were too cruel.
  22. Sep 27, 2013
    This movie has a great plot, I will give it that. But there was nothing to look forward to since the whole plot was revealed so soon in the beginning of the movie. Plus the fact that the acting was terrible. If you have money to waste and time to kill, go watch it. Then you will see that this movie could have been a classic if it had much better actors in it and the plot was not given away so soon. So in short, the movie needs totally revamped. This is nothing more then a B rated movie gone wrong. Expand
  23. Sep 26, 2013
    It is actually criminal that reviewers gave this garbage a good review this is one of the worst movies i have ever seen predictable plot and characters you don't give two about, and come on are guys with goat masks in janitor costumes scary
  24. Sep 26, 2013
    I loved this movie it was very good and such a badass movie the acting is decent but Sharni Vinson was very good and it's really fun and it's entertaing I certainly enjoyed it
  25. Sep 24, 2013
    It's no secret that the Horror genre has gotten rather stale. It's either we get a generic haunted house movie, a slasher flick, or some unnecessary remake. There really isn't much room to do something truly "unique" and "original". You're Next knows this, and plays with it's premise and provides one of the funnest horror films in recent memory. It's straight to the point, and that's what I love. It's got graphic brutal violence, a bunch of bloodshed, and it's all so much fun. It ends up feeling like a throwback to the Horror films of the 80's. You're Next is an entertaining, fun horror flick with some hilarious scenes thrown in. If your looking for a solid horror movie to watch, this is it. My rating:7.2/10 Expand
  26. Sep 10, 2013
    Fast paced, vicious and utterly fun, You're Next is a master-class in horror film making thanks to a fresh concept and a director willing to see it through to the bitter end, the bitter fantastic end. When a family gathers for an anniversary celebration at a country house away from society they find themselves under siege by a group of sociopathic attackers wearing animal masks. However the attackers and the guests soon realize they should be afraid of one of the guests more as they prove remarkably adept at killing people. While some of the performances in the film are dire it also features a standout performance by Sharni Vinson whose character is a wonderful change of pace to the conventional horror movie females, sure she does about the same quota of killing, maybe even lightly more, but You're Next manages to make it seem more realistic. Her status as a masculine female seems assured but the film doesn't ever change her, she is always presented as feminine, feminine force capable of some truly devastating things (her skill with a meat tenderizer alone is worth the price of admission). The film manages to present each of its characters as people even though some are clearly going to suffer the fate of dying early on. Everyone feels like equals as each and everyone of them puts their own effect on the story and the overall feel of this awe inspiring horror flick. While some of the violence takes a turn towards the fantastical as people survive the most disgusting of injuries, its all in the name of entertainment and that's what You're Next is, grade A popcorn entertainment. Expand
  27. Sep 7, 2013
    You're Next is a indie horror flix with comedy elements and plenty of jump scares. I am not the biggest horror film fan, but I like having fun with a film and You're Next allows me to do that without me my pants yet tensions were high and I did jump out of my seat several times. The main character, who carry's the whole film, is strong, likable and bad-ass which is always nice in a home invasion film and the family it's self has charisma and there own personalities even though you instantly start hating some. The film is great and lots of fun but if your looking for a gritty, true horror film this isn't for you but if you what a gory, fun, lighthearted jump scare thrill ride then You're Next is perfect Expand
  28. Sep 5, 2013
    Loved it! It's exciting, gory, funny, and sometimes scary. If you're expecting a straight up horror film, You're Next is not that. This a dark comedy/horror. Yes, the acting isn't perfect, but it's not terrible either. What it lacks in the acting department it makes up for with fun, bloody mayhem.
  29. Sep 4, 2013
    Nobody understands the fact that this movie was the way it was supposed to be. It's not supposed to be 100% serious and it wasn't 100% jokes. It made fun of itself and all the horror cliche's. Some people need to do more research of their movies before going to see them. You're Next was fun, intense and gory. It was a good time at the movies, simple as that. If you enjoy the evil dead films or slasher films that aren't completely serious then you will enjoy it. If your looking for a movie to scare you to death then look somewhere else. I recommend You're Next but only if you can enjoy a little fun in your horror. 6.5/10 Expand
  30. Sep 4, 2013
    Home invasion stories have played a pivotal role in the progression of horror films for quite some time now. However, home invasion films don't necessarily have to be pure horror movies. Some just want to entertain, more than scare. Adam Wingard's latest horror-thriller film”You're Next” wants to do just that.

If you're not familiar with “You're Next”, let me just start off by saying
    that this film is actually a two year-old and independently made film, that first premiered at the Toronto Film Festival in 2011 and had since rose to critical acclaim, with many critics mentioning the films refreshing tone in the horror genre. After the film festival, the rights were suddenly purchased by Lionsgate and the film was, mysteriously, shelved for two years. I'm going to mention that “You're Next” is more of a thriller than it is a horror movie. (It just has some horror aspects to it) So if you're going into this only expecting to be scared, then don't bother with this film. Go watch “The Conjuring” instead if you haven't seen that already. Now, on to the review:

PLOT: The plot for “You're Next” is fairly simple, but it's more interesting that you'd expect. Even if the film first seems like your average run-of-the-mill horror film. This is how the story goes:

“When a gang of masked, ax-wielding murderers descend upon the Davidson family reunion, the hapless victims seem trapped... until an unlikely guest of the family proves to be the most talented killer of all.”

So why is “You're Next” interesting? Well, like the synopsis says, things switch gears once everything starts happening, as that certain unlikely guest shows her “talents” from get-go. And I will say, that twist was truly unexpected! That one twist alone is what makes this film so unique and refreshing compared to your everyday run-of-the-mill horror film. In other horror films, there may have been leading ladies that have attempted to attack their killer, but they usually scream and run off after their first strike and end up not knowing what their going to do next. This certain lead, however, knows exactly what to do once the carnage ensues! And she wants these killers dead, and will stop at nothing until they are all dead! She sets traps, commences sneak attacks, and even fights the killers head-on! This certain character may very well be the best female lead yet, and unlike many other female leads in other countless horror films, we are truly invested in her survival!

There are some other neat aspects to the plot of “You're Next” than just it's fantastic leading lady though. I think it's cool that the killers are humanized instead of just being our same-old mindless, killing machines without personality like we've seen a hundred times before! These killers also have a real motive for attacking this certain family. The killers are smart too, as they employ many cool strategies in order to kill their victims as fast as possible, like using trip wires and a cell phone jammer! (Though they did forget to count on one thing... our leading lady!)

Even with some predictable plot twists, the story of “You're Next” is still head-above-shoulders compared to many other films in it's genre!

ACTING: This is a low-budget film, so you can kind of expect the acting to be a little mediocre. And it is for the most part. The somewhat mediocre acting may ward off some viewers, although I, myself, forgive the acting, considering the fact that this film is low-budget and independently made. I mean, you can't expect to get great actors if your film is on a low budget and have no help from a studio.

CINEMATOGRAPHY: The cinematography is excellent, with many cool and creepy shots through-out! Cinematographer Andrew Palmero took a lot of time and effort into shooting this film, as he really shows us his talent behind the camera. The only downside to his work is that the camera is slightly unsteady at times. A minor problem, but it would have been nice if he could of maintained a little more self-control.

SCRIPT: The scriptwriting is absolutely brilliant! The dialogue is believable, the use of dark humor is effective and times in just right, and believe it not, this films does contain a lot of logic and reasoning. (With the exception of a couple scenes) It may not be apparent at first, but the logic is there.

EDITING: There's not much to be said about editing. The only thing that comes to mind is that it would have been nice if the film could pay more attention to a few scenes, but Adam did state in an interview that he couldn't focus too much on certain scenes since because the budget wasn't big enough. Well, gotta keep within the budget, I guess.

SOUNDTRACK: “You're Next” contains a cool 80's style electronic score that always times in at the right moment. The score fits the mood of the film, and to every situation that's going on! A truly great score, I thought.

CONCLUSION: “You're Next” is a film destined for cult-classic status, as it's surely a crowd-pleaser! It's one of those rare horror films that actually succeeds in what it's trying to do: to entertain! Adam Wingard never wanted to scare his audiences, he only wants to entertain! And he succeeds brilliantly!

So do yourself a favor, and go watch “You're Next”! If you love home-invasion films, and can forgive the films faults, I promise that you will not be dissapointed!

1. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Aug 28, 2013
    Wingard’s film is its own subset of fractious family crazy.
  2. Reviewed by: Anna Smith
    Aug 27, 2013
    A solid watch for gore fans.
  3. Reviewed by: Bilge Ebiri
    Aug 26, 2013
    Maybe, in another time and place, and with different actors and a better director, it might have worked. But this thing collapses right from the get-go.