6.8

1. Aug 24, 2013
    “It’s a piece of s*** that, from a distance probably looks like a chocolate bar, but when you get closer, you got to come to the terms of fact that this is a f****** piece of s***.”

– Brad “The Cinema Snob” Jones
  2. Aug 23, 2013
    One of the better horror flicks I've seen in recent years. I've gotten so tired of these tepidly scary occult flicks like The Conjuring, The Haunting, and even the new Evil Dead. This is a good old fashioned horror thriller, with a nice mix of extreme gore, humor, excitement, irrationality (which morphs into plotty rationality), and some great cheesy/throwback horror music. The lead actress is fantastic. And I was pleasantly surprised to see Amy Seimetz in the cast. (She should be in every movie, huh?) Can't say much more without revealing the plot. Guaranteed, you will leave the theater with a certain song stuck in your head....At least that's all that will be stuck there. Expand
  3. Aug 23, 2013
    No, the acting isn't incredible, but the movie is just FUN for a change. The Aussie lead is awesome, and there's a light-hearted feel to this film amidst the carnage that makes you feel good as you leave the theater. It's not ponderous.
  4. Aug 30, 2013
    You're Next is a brilliant horror movie.It's smart, clever and stylish. It's a breath of fresh air among all the terrible slasher movies out there nowadays. It doesn't quite revolutionize the slasher genre, but it is definitely a strong comeback. Shari Vinson was magnificent as Erin. She is definitely one of the greatest horror movie leading ladies of all time. She was smart, fierce and an all around bad-ass. The other characters are pretty shallow, spoiled and two dimensional but when you see this movie you'll understand how it's makes up for this little flaw. While the movie contained some jump scares, overall it wasn't scary, but that's pretty much standard for a slasher film. But what it lacks in scares it makes up tenfold in the gore department. This film is a roller coaster of carnage and it does so with finesse and panache and features one of the greatest horror movie deaths of all time. This film was getting major hype way before it premiered and by God, it delivers with intensity and ferocity that needs to be experienced way more than once. Expand
  5. Aug 26, 2013
    The best horror movie so far this year, even better than Evil Dead. You're Next is a true return to form of the slasher movies that dominated 70s and 80s horror. The cast is very strong, particularly the connections of the family are very believable and adds to the tension. However, this movie doesn't try to force itself on being a horror-fest, the director clearly was having fun with this shoot. This movie is campy at the right moments just as it throws in the surprises and jump scares with nearly perfect timing. Although the home invasion premise of the movie something that we've seen a lot before in recent horror or thriller type movies, I cant think of a movie within the past several years that does it with even remotely the thrills that You're Next manages. I can see this one becoming a cult classic, probably something that we'll see Hollywood remake in about 25 years or so and hate the remake because it will miss the damn point. The twist in the final moments of the movie was well done, although predictable if you are a seasoned horror buff. Expand
  6. Aug 23, 2013
    Wow! Was this supposed to be scary? I thought I was being generous with my 5 rating. It was OK, but no where near as good as people make it out to be. It seemed like a total B movie, bad dialog, acting, cheesy music. I cannot believe this is 80% on on Rottentomatoes and 67 on Metacritic, unbelievable.
  7. Aug 29, 2013
    Being one of the most fun movies to come out this year, You're Next is a violent and incredibly entertaining horror-comedy that is both quite funny and full with fun twists. The film is definitely flawed, in which it has a rocky start before it descends into greatness and having not-very-fantastic acting apart from Sharni Vinson who plays to badass lead role and I would have liked the have some closure in the ending, though the end was still pretty fun. In the end, You're Next is a gory good time in theatres. Expand
  8. Sep 26, 2013
    It is actually criminal that reviewers gave this garbage a good review this is one of the worst movies i have ever seen predictable plot and characters you don't give two about, and come on are guys with goat masks in janitor costumes scary
  9. Aug 23, 2013
    One of the worst films I have ever seen. The characters actions were so stupid that it was unbelievable and the entire theater was laughing, including me. Acting was sketchy throughout. The plot was good per say but felt empty. The twist were some what interesting, Camera work was good. The poor acting and moronic characters ruined this for me, especially since I have been keeping tabs on this film since I saw the first trailer. Though I give them bonus point because Sharni Vinson was awesome in it and super attractive. Expand
  10. Aug 29, 2013
    This is by far the Worst movie I have ever seen. I couldn't figure out if it was a Comedy or a Horror movie. The previews you see on tv make it look like its going to be this scary movie and I was so disappointed. Seriously when I read reviews I say to myself "Oh, everybody is different, I will give it a try" I'm telling you from a person that loves movies, SAVE your money, or wait till you can get it on DVD of you must punish yourself. The name of the movie should be "You're next Sucker, got your money". Expand
  11. Sep 4, 2013
    Home invasion stories have played a pivotal role in the progression of horror films for quite some time now. However, home invasion films don't necessarily have to be pure horror movies. Some just want to entertain, more than scare. Adam Wingard's latest horror-thriller film”You're Next” wants to do just that.

If you're not familiar with “You're Next”, let me just start off by saying
    that this film is actually a two year-old and independently made film, that first premiered at the Toronto Film Festival in 2011 and had since rose to critical acclaim, with many critics mentioning the films refreshing tone in the horror genre. After the film festival, the rights were suddenly purchased by Lionsgate and the film was, mysteriously, shelved for two years. I'm going to mention that “You're Next” is more of a thriller than it is a horror movie. (It just has some horror aspects to it) So if you're going into this only expecting to be scared, then don't bother with this film. Go watch “The Conjuring” instead if you haven't seen that already. Now, on to the review:

PLOT: The plot for “You're Next” is fairly simple, but it's more interesting that you'd expect. Even if the film first seems like your average run-of-the-mill horror film. This is how the story goes:

“When a gang of masked, ax-wielding murderers descend upon the Davidson family reunion, the hapless victims seem trapped... until an unlikely guest of the family proves to be the most talented killer of all.”

So why is “You're Next” interesting? Well, like the synopsis says, things switch gears once everything starts happening, as that certain unlikely guest shows her “talents” from get-go. And I will say, that twist was truly unexpected! That one twist alone is what makes this film so unique and refreshing compared to your everyday run-of-the-mill horror film. In other horror films, there may have been leading ladies that have attempted to attack their killer, but they usually scream and run off after their first strike and end up not knowing what their going to do next. This certain lead, however, knows exactly what to do once the carnage ensues! And she wants these killers dead, and will stop at nothing until they are all dead! She sets traps, commences sneak attacks, and even fights the killers head-on! This certain character may very well be the best female lead yet, and unlike many other female leads in other countless horror films, we are truly invested in her survival!

There are some other neat aspects to the plot of “You're Next” than just it's fantastic leading lady though. I think it's cool that the killers are humanized instead of just being our same-old mindless, killing machines without personality like we've seen a hundred times before! These killers also have a real motive for attacking this certain family. The killers are smart too, as they employ many cool strategies in order to kill their victims as fast as possible, like using trip wires and a cell phone jammer! (Though they did forget to count on one thing... our leading lady!)

Even with some predictable plot twists, the story of “You're Next” is still head-above-shoulders compared to many other films in it's genre!

ACTING: This is a low-budget film, so you can kind of expect the acting to be a little mediocre. And it is for the most part. The somewhat mediocre acting may ward off some viewers, although I, myself, forgive the acting, considering the fact that this film is low-budget and independently made. I mean, you can't expect to get great actors if your film is on a low budget and have no help from a studio.

CINEMATOGRAPHY: The cinematography is excellent, with many cool and creepy shots through-out! Cinematographer Andrew Palmero took a lot of time and effort into shooting this film, as he really shows us his talent behind the camera. The only downside to his work is that the camera is slightly unsteady at times. A minor problem, but it would have been nice if he could of maintained a little more self-control.

SCRIPT: The scriptwriting is absolutely brilliant! The dialogue is believable, the use of dark humor is effective and times in just right, and believe it not, this films does contain a lot of logic and reasoning. (With the exception of a couple scenes) It may not be apparent at first, but the logic is there.

EDITING: There's not much to be said about editing. The only thing that comes to mind is that it would have been nice if the film could pay more attention to a few scenes, but Adam did state in an interview that he couldn't focus too much on certain scenes since because the budget wasn't big enough. Well, gotta keep within the budget, I guess.

SOUNDTRACK: “You're Next” contains a cool 80's style electronic score that always times in at the right moment. The score fits the mood of the film, and to every situation that's going on! A truly great score, I thought.

CONCLUSION: “You're Next” is a film destined for cult-classic status, as it's surely a crowd-pleaser! It's one of those rare horror films that actually succeeds in what it's trying to do: to entertain! Adam Wingard never wanted to scare his audiences, he only wants to entertain! And he succeeds brilliantly!

So do yourself a favor, and go watch “You're Next”! If you love home-invasion films, and can forgive the films faults, I promise that you will not be dissapointed!
  12. Jan 15, 2014
    An R rated and more suspenseful "Home Alone" type film for horror fans, a Joe Pesci appearance behind the mask would have made it... Fun, gory and awesome female lead. Won't disappoint when compared to latest horror films since "The Loved Ones".
  13. Jan 14, 2014
    How the **** did a film like this a 66 overall critic review? It sucked so hard it's not even funny. Acting was ok but the predictable plot and lack of quality gore really disappointed me. Don't even bother with this trash, It's a straight to video horror film at best.
  14. Aug 26, 2013
    Bad editing. Bad writing. Bad cinematography. Bad acting. Bad musical score. Bad "plot twists" Bad character development. Bad comedy. Bad mood.

Bad movie.
  15. Aug 31, 2013
    As far as horror movies are concerned, "You're Next" doesn't really bring too much innovative material to the table, but it still packs a blackly comic punch as it also delivers a nice package full of thrills.
  16. Aug 23, 2013
    What "You're Next" lacks in originality in regards to its premise, more than makes up for it with clever surprises, an infectious energy, and a desire to satisfy rabid horror fans, while also remaining appealing to mainstream audiences. What gives "You're Next" a clever twist is how the movie presents itself as just the opposite. The movie also possesses an entertaining sense of dark humor, invigorating a generic storyline that feels revitalized. Director Adam Wingard and Screenwriter Simon Barrett's previous collaboration "A Horrible way to Die" (2010), displayed great potential and promise. "You're Next" is unquestionably the duo's crowning achievement to date.

The story begins with married couple (Barbara Crampton and Rob Moran) celebrating their 35th anniversary with their four grown children, and the children's significant others. It's been awhile since the entire family was together, and it doesn't take long for old rivalries to emerge. Crispian (AJ Bowen), is a college instructor who is currently dating Erin (Sharni Vinson). His brother Drake (Joe Swanberg), is the quintessential jerk with his wife (Margaret Laney). Their sister, Aimee (Amy Seimetz), has a pretentious filmmaker boyfriend (Ti West), who's an easy target for dinner-table mockery. The youngest sibling, Felix (Nicholas Tucci), is a screw-up with a gloomy girlfriend (Wendy Glenn). Obviously, the reunion doesn't go according to plan. Tempers flare during family dinner, but the feuding quickly comes to a halt when an unseen killer strikes a fatal blow. They now realize that the house is now surrounded by homicidal strangers wearing masks, who appear determined on leaving no survivors.

Once Barrett's sharp, wicked script kicks into top gear, the cast is gruesomely eliminated to the bare essentials. The violence is visceral and bloody, but so tongue- in-cheek, it often causes a smile coupled with ripples of nervous laughter. The movie successfully blends horror with a pitch black comedy throughout, and continuously finds clever ways to subvert the typical, predictable cat and mouse games. The striking, gruesome sequences go a long way towards perpetuating the movie's increasingly forbidding vibe, though there's little doubt that "You're Next" fares best once the tables have turned. Undoubtedly, the breakout star of "You're Next" is the Australian leading lady Sharni Vinson, who comes across as equally strong and smart in a wonderful performance.

Wingard and Barrett have fun with the premise with impressive results, integrating the personal relationships and family conflicts that feed into the developing terror, while having fun playing with audience expectations. The tense atmosphere accompanied with the infectious energy it exudes makes it easy to gloss over any deficiencies. "You're Next" is light on psychological and narrative complexity, but it's unquestionably a cut above the slasher norm. The movie had its world premiere at the 2011 Toronto International Film Festival.
  17. Aug 23, 2013
    Overall, there’s enough innovation and enthusiasm for the horror genre present in You’re Next to make it worth recommending to gore-hounds and hardcore horror lovers even though the movie doesn’t succeed at hitting all the big marks it aims for. Just don’t expect to leave the theater feeling all that unnerved or extra conscious about needing to lock your doors, once you get home.
  18. Oct 7, 2013
    You may consider You're Next a cheesy, corny and cliched horror movie, but it is, almost, the opposite of that. You're Next is the new horror movie written by Simon Barret (V/H/S) and directed by Adam Wingard (A Horrible way to die) & (V/H/S). This movie is considered as horror, but I consider it as a dark comedy because yes, although I jumped a couple of times but I laughed much more in this movie. Most reviews are mediocre I agree, it is somehow cliched but it is more twisted, entertaining and funny than cliched, cheesy and corny. The acting is mediocre at times and at times it is somehow good. It is a fresh entry to the horror genre, and one of the better horror flicks I have seen the past recent years. I will purchase it and will watch it again. Expand
  19. Aug 26, 2013
    Just a normal horror movie. Kind of like "The Strangers". This movie kind of doesn't make any sense, in a way. And, it isn't even scary. "The Conjuring" is a much better choice.
  20. Oct 6, 2013
    After I saw the trailer when I went to see the movie "The Conjuring", I wanted to see the movie so bad. Well I just saw it the same day I wrote this review and it was good. There were some other people that were saying "Worst movie ever!" Good horror sequences and unique. I mean, in what other movie do you get to see murderers wear animal masks? You have Ghostface from "Scream" wearing a screaming crying mask, Michael Myers from "Halloween" wearing a ghost white mask and your Jason from "Friday the 13th" wearing your old classic hockey mask. Well the beginning of the movie actually starts with a man and a woman in a house in the forest when you meet fox-face. That's my nickname for him. The words "You're Next" written with blood on the sliding glass door was a good job. After that beginning scene, you actually meet the father and the mother of the family. The problem though is that the mother is probably the most overly dramatic character in the movie. She is kind of corny. After everyone arrived at the house, she said like a little speech that was kinda awkward. After she heard a huge bang and some footsteps above she panics and says to her husband that someone is upstairs. So she says that they should leave but he says that he is going to check it out. She refuses but after he gets a weapon, she finally says yes. It turns out that the noise was caused by their son Crispian. It was the next night that the hunters attack. The actors do a good job except Erin and OH MY GOD she is an idiot. When Aimee got her throat slit by a razor sharp wire right outside the door, she just stood there with a bored-like expression on her face. Not to mention that she is also so dull. She never amazes you and not to mention that she is transformed from a random girl that is trapped in a house to a Arnold Schwarzenegger commando. Fights back to the hunters and not to mention that sometimes she just stands in one place like a statue. Enough about the characters. What about the setting? Fantastic. The house is a nice touch and the corridors are tight and raises the suspension. There is a part when fox-face crept out from under the bed and just not so stealth killed someone (who I am not going to spoil). The sound is also fresh and hits at the perfect time either after a kill or when a hunter pops out from a corner. For my full written review, check out http://vgasgames.weebly.com/ Expand
  21. Aug 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay. Let's get this outta the way. This is a Redbox rental...at best. Maybe something you stumble upon searching through Netflix one night. This is definitely not a movie ticket purchase. It's so damn full of cliche and just dumb moments that we've all seen before. I just kept hoping it would turn into something more the entire time, but was disappointed. Some horror movies can be....meh, but at least it was a good time, this wasn't even that. ***SPOILERS START*** What you see in the first scene is pretty much the entire tone of the movie. Period. I mean, the killers' calling card of "You're Next" doesn't even make sense or really apply to anything. It's not like this crew has been on a killing spree and this is their M.O. Just some punks in masks who get hired for a job. The motive for it all is....money? C'mon!!! ***SPOILERS OVER***. Apologies, for not giving a spoiler-free review, because I hate those too, but this movie doesn't deserve the time or effort to be vague. At the end of the day, make your own decision, but I think you should trust my humble opinion and wait for that $1.50 rental. Til next time! Expand
  22. Sep 3, 2013
    I always like to separate Horror Movies from Thriller Movies. While the former often involves supernatural element, the latter mostly just involves killing and blood spreading. But all in all, I think both genres belong to Scary Movies.

The setting of this new thriller You're Next? is pretty simple. A big family are gathering together in a secluded house in the woods. And then family
    members are getting killed one by one by a group of weirdos who wear creepy masks.

Somehow the movie manages to become my No.2 scary movie this year so far. So how? I have thought about it for a moment, and here are my conclusions:

1. Big family reunion always comes with family dinner scene, when all secrets come out and people are getting angry and crazy with each other, and I always love this part. And in this movie, the first scary killing happens in the dinner scene too.
    2. There is a strong and smart female character in the film, which is always fun to watch.
    3. There are twist by twist along the movie. And the cat-and-mouse situation is completely reversed towards the end.
    4. The creepy soundtrack music composed by Mads Heldtberg definitely adds creepiness to the film.
    5. I am not familiar with a single actor in the movie, which is a good thing. The movie gives me a fresh feeling. And I think the female lead, Sharni Vinson, has done a very good job. Later I found out that she played Step Up 3D? before.
    6. The movie kind of ends in a sarcastic way.

Of course there is something that's not in my favor:

1. The last twist doesn't surprise me at all, because I already saw it coming in the middle of the movie. Well maybe coz I'm a die-hard horror/thriller movie fan and have seen too much to be surprised.
    2. The explanation of this massacre is kind of lame for me. Not that it doesn't make sense, but it is too simple to make people go killing.

All in all, I think the good outweighs the bad, and it definitely deserves a watch.
  23. Aug 27, 2013
    With supernatural killers like Jason, you allow for reality to be questioned, but with reality-based baddies you expect a certain logic. That was the biggest problem with this film: so much of it didn't make sense. The home-invasion scenario has an adult family gathered in the country to celebrate their parents anniversary. One by one they're dispatched with quick brutality by men in dumb animal masks. The action isn't especially original, the scares are basic and there's almost no suspense. If I'd been able to forget about the stupid lapses in reason, it might have been more gripping. "The Purge" did it better. Expand
  24. Jan 16, 2014
    Disappointing considering all of the positive reception it got. It's not scary, but then again I wasn't expecting it to be. I was expecting it to be an enjoyable home-invasion flick that provided something new and exciting. Unfortunately "You're Next" failed to deliver thanks to it's unlikable characters, bad acting, and unbelievable situations.

The plot here actually isn't that bad.
    The dysfunctional family situation actually adds some humor to the mix, but ultimately it ends up feeling worthless in the end considering how boring the movie is as a whole. I didn't like a single character in the film as none of them acted like real human beings. The main character is the only one in the movie who isn't a complete moron. The irrationality of the characters makes the whole film feel unbelievable. I disliked the characters so much that I actually was hoping that all of them would end up being butchered by the killers. The cast's bad acting didn't help the situation.

Slasher flicks have never scared me, but I've always found them to be entertaining for their gory and uniquely amusing kills. Unfortunately "You're Next" doesn't have any of those, so really this movie is just plain boring. There's an unbelievably slow start to the movie, and even when things finally start to pick up it doesn't take long for any sort of tension to just completely disappear from the entire film. The only attempts the movie will make to scare is through lame jump scares that fall flat. If you're looking for horror then look elsewhere, because there's none to be found here.

Overall I don't recommend this movie. With all of it's positive critical reception the film looked like it had big promise, but it ended up just letting me down. There are a few moments where it looks like the film is onto something, but it never capitalizes on what that is. I found it to be just another forgettable home-invasion flick that failed to deliver. My personal recommendation is that you pass on this one.
  25. Aug 24, 2013
    An extremely enjoyable horror thriller. What's great about You're Next is that the characters are real human beings who exist in more than one dimension, so their deaths are more than just "Oh damn!" moments; it really hits you in the gut when one of them is shot through the head with a crossbow. Even the murderers are allowed a certain psychological depth, and this makes what they do all the more horrifying. I also appreciated how realistic the victims' behavior was; that is, much of what they did was stupid and irrational, but in a very believable, sympathetic way. Most people would lose their minds in such a situation. Director Adam Wingard gets this, and as such his movie comes across as something more than a cheap slasher flick. It expertly straddles the line between verisimilitude and snuff, which is what the best of the neo-horror films aim to do. Expand
  26. Sep 4, 2013
    Nobody understands the fact that this movie was the way it was supposed to be. It's not supposed to be 100% serious and it wasn't 100% jokes. It made fun of itself and all the horror cliche's. Some people need to do more research of their movies before going to see them. You're Next was fun, intense and gory. It was a good time at the movies, simple as that. If you enjoy the evil dead films or slasher films that aren't completely serious then you will enjoy it. If your looking for a movie to scare you to death then look somewhere else. I recommend You're Next but only if you can enjoy a little fun in your horror. 6.5/10 Expand
  27. Sep 10, 2013
    Fast paced, vicious and utterly fun, You're Next is a master-class in horror film making thanks to a fresh concept and a director willing to see it through to the bitter end, the bitter fantastic end. When a family gathers for an anniversary celebration at a country house away from society they find themselves under siege by a group of sociopathic attackers wearing animal masks. However the attackers and the guests soon realize they should be afraid of one of the guests more as they prove remarkably adept at killing people. While some of the performances in the film are dire it also features a standout performance by Sharni Vinson whose character is a wonderful change of pace to the conventional horror movie females, sure she does about the same quota of killing, maybe even lightly more, but You're Next manages to make it seem more realistic. Her status as a masculine female seems assured but the film doesn't ever change her, she is always presented as feminine, feminine force capable of some truly devastating things (her skill with a meat tenderizer alone is worth the price of admission). The film manages to present each of its characters as people even though some are clearly going to suffer the fate of dying early on. Everyone feels like equals as each and everyone of them puts their own effect on the story and the overall feel of this awe inspiring horror flick. While some of the violence takes a turn towards the fantastical as people survive the most disgusting of injuries, its all in the name of entertainment and that's what You're Next is, grade A popcorn entertainment. Expand
  28. Feb 12, 2014
    The movie started off extremely slow, but I kept on watching hoping it would get better. But it didn't. The movie has no scares, only laughs. watching this movie, it remind me of home alone and then at the end turns into a Rambo!
  29. Oct 27, 2013
    If you could bypass some of the characters' logic and the unoriginal concept, You're Next will be very entertaining film with it's fast-paced thrills and table-turning premise of a home-invasion film.
  30. Jan 3, 2014
    Best horror film of 2013 even better than Insidious 2 & The Conjuring. It delivers on being sexy, tense, graphic, and the story delivers with a kick-ass heroine. Love that this is an indie success story filled with a bunch of indie-horror filmmakers (Ti West, Adam Wingard, Joe Swanberg, Larry Fesseden).
  31. Jan 19, 2014
    Slow pacing at the beginning forced me to FF alot until the killing began and then it was a soul-numbing blood-bath of psychotia. This type of film may work for some but not for me.
  32. Sep 27, 2013
    This movie has a great plot, I will give it that. But there was nothing to look forward to since the whole plot was revealed so soon in the beginning of the movie. Plus the fact that the acting was terrible. If you have money to waste and time to kill, go watch it. Then you will see that this movie could have been a classic if it had much better actors in it and the plot was not given away so soon. So in short, the movie needs totally revamped. This is nothing more then a B rated movie gone wrong. Expand
  33. Sep 2, 2013
    Combining comedy and horror the way this film did ended up being refreshingly entertaining. It is consistently fun and bursts with mayhem throughout the entirety of the ride.
  34. Jan 3, 2014
    The movie is a complete joke. It reveals itself so early in the film, that the last half hour is nothing more than a bunch of gruesome deaths. The acting was actually scarier than the film and the entire premise was foolish.
  35. Jan 5, 2014
    Nothing about it screams originality, but it still exciting to watch people die in gory disturbing ways. It knows not to take itself seriously and allows for some amusing moments.
  36. Sep 3, 2013
    For lovers of the genre this is a superior horror with a great twist. High on blood and gore, some of which is excrutiatingly felt, and with plenty of jumpy moments to keep any true horror fan ghoulishly happy. In the expectant first hour the tension is palpable and exacerbated by the use of hand held camera which is highly effective in enveloping us as events start to unfold for the unfortunate family under attack. Things dip ever so slightly when the culprits are unmasked (literally) and the reason for the mayhem is revealed, but the film still remain lively and tense. Towards the end some revelations and plot points are predictably signposted in advance, but the last scene raises a deliciously inappropriate chuckle.

37. Apr 29, 2014
    A brutal film from the start, 'You're Next' is relentless in its delivery of gratuitous gore and terror. It avoids the trap that many modern horror films fall into of dragging out scenes in the vain effort to create suspense. While it loses it's stride slightly with the high kill count, this is a refreshing film which smacks you in the face. Or shoots a crossbow bolt into your back. Or obliterates your skull with a blender...you get the idea. Expand
  38. Sep 13, 2014
    Summary: You're Next is a terrific slasher film, filled with lots of unpredictable twists and extreme violence. 93/100 [A-]

When a gang of masked, ax-wielding murderers descend upon the Davison family reunion, the hapless victims seem trapped, until an unlikely guest of the family proves to be the most talented killer of all. This is the first film i saw in 2014, i wanted to see it at
    the theater but i couldn't; So, anyway it was awesome, refreshing, original and bloody. You're Next is directed by Adam Wingard, this guy directed my favorite segment of VHS: 2 called "Phase I Clinical Trials". The point here is that my expectations were very high, and surprisingly... You're Next exceeded these high expectations. The opening scene is suspenseful, enjoyable and short. This first act has some character development, characters introducing between each other, etc. It is a little bit too slow here, but there's some good screenplay and it's never boring at all.

These characters are interesting, all of them have different personality, the whole family is dysfunctional and it's hilarious to see their fights and arguments. The film keeps the suspense during the first act, and it provides here a fake scare, very predictable for me actually. Moving on, after the introduction of all these characters, the next scene is unforgettable. The dinner scene is hilarious, well scripted and intense, the good acting helps a lot, making this scene just as i already said, unforgettable. After this scene begins the violent, fast-paced, exciting, sad, unpredictable and twisty second act. When the violence starts, it's very hard to watch, this whole sequence after the dinner is explosive, unnerving, and cleverly directed. The reaction of these characters is so believable, all the pain and suffering feels so real, again, quite sad.

The third act is filled with a bunch of plot and character twists, don't worry i won't spoil it. Constantly during the film you can hear a song called "Looking for the magic" from Dwight Twilley, for some strange reason this song matches perfectly with the film. The last 15 minutes of the film are extremely violent and there are here some twists, even though the whole film is violent and bloody, the last 15 minutes are the most crude, lots of craziness and lots of blood. The film has some creepy elements of the horror genre, like darkness, a woody and noisy floor, jump-scares, etc. The camera work is well done, making the action sequences even more exciting. The screenplay is always consistent, the whole film itself is very entertaining.

The characterization is original and each character is different and well developed. The only negative issue is that most of the jump-scares are predictable and unnecessary but the plot twists are unpredictable and shocking. Lots of memorable moments, lots of fun and lots of guts. The cast and the acting are perfect, all the performers were good and believable, Erin (Sharni Vinson) the main character is badass and her past is well explained, there's a smart reason for all her violent behavior during the film. Wingard direction is memorable, "You're Next" is a quality horror film that finally gets a release after two years of waiting. [A-] Check out my blog: www.memobosque.blogspot.mx Twitter: @MemoBosque
  39. Jan 15, 2014
    This is just another cheap slasher film that tries to add a slight twist and a little style but overall it fails to add any new ground. The main female character saves this film from an F. D-
  40. Aug 23, 2013
    While it's not an original movie, and it's nothing compared to "The Conjuring", not to steal Nesbitt10's quote but it still applies. What it lacks is all made up for with the scares it offers to deliver. It's really just a surprise to see people start making better and truly scary movies, this for sure is one of them. Overall, it's an entertaining horror flick. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies. Collapse
  41. Sep 24, 2013
    It's no secret that the Horror genre has gotten rather stale. It's either we get a generic haunted house movie, a slasher flick, or some unnecessary remake. There really isn't much room to do something truly "unique" and "original". You're Next knows this, and plays with it's premise and provides one of the funnest horror films in recent memory. It's straight to the point, and that's what I love. It's got graphic brutal violence, a bunch of bloodshed, and it's all so much fun. It ends up feeling like a throwback to the Horror films of the 80's. You're Next is an entertaining, fun horror flick with some hilarious scenes thrown in. If your looking for a solid horror movie to watch, this is it. My rating:7.2/10 Expand
  42. Aug 26, 2013
    Super violent gory horror movie!!! There isn't one thing impressive in it, so high praise is unjustified. It slightly above average movie, with some plot holes and some interesting twists!
  43. Aug 29, 2013
    Suspenseful, a decent plot, and predictable. This movie was entertaining and I enjoyed. Don't expect an award-winning movie, instead enjoy it for what it is and you won't be disappointed. I liked it.
  44. Jan 18, 2014
    “You’re Next” does do quite a few things right. The music is fantastic, the overall visual presentation looks tremendous and fits well in the horror/thriller genre and, even though the scares are cheap, they are quite effective. However, the acting isn’t too special, the story gets repetitive and doesn’t feel like it’s enough to fill up an hour and a half, and the motivation for why the killers are attacking the family is super cheesy and was way too easy for me to figure out very early on in the film. While the movie does look good, it just feels too much like any other thriller that involves masked men attacking an isolated group of people. Expand
  45. Aug 23, 2013
    This is a great movie, this movie have a new level of horror. Is not easy make a slasher film with something different, but this one make everything cool and interesting.
  46. Sep 7, 2013
    You're Next is a indie horror flix with comedy elements and plenty of jump scares. I am not the biggest horror film fan, but I like having fun with a film and You're Next allows me to do that without me my pants yet tensions were high and I did jump out of my seat several times. The main character, who carry's the whole film, is strong, likable and bad-ass which is always nice in a home invasion film and the family it's self has charisma and there own personalities even though you instantly start hating some. The film is great and lots of fun but if your looking for a gritty, true horror film this isn't for you but if you what a gory, fun, lighthearted jump scare thrill ride then You're Next is perfect Expand
  47. Sep 4, 2013
    This movie was a bit of letdown. I didn't have high expectations going in, but this movie wasn't even credible in the slightest. I understand that most horror movies generally don't allow the user to suspend disbelief, but this movie takes it to another level. What really made me cringe was the awful dialogue. In particular, the line, me next to your dead mother." Do me a favor. What is good about this movie though, is the sound and camera work. For an independent film, they are very impressive. It's just the poor dialogue, and utter lack of realism that was the letdown. This is basically a modern day "Scream". But these days, movies like "Scream" are passe. Nothing original here folks. And you know a horror movie is particularly bad when the audience watching it is *laughing* at how bad it is. It was still better than Blair Witch Project though, which was the last independent horror film I saw at the theater. As we all know though, that isn't saying very much. Not a complete waste of money, but not a movie I'd watch again. Expand
  48. Sep 5, 2013
    Loved it! It's exciting, gory, funny, and sometimes scary. If you're expecting a straight up horror film, You're Next is not that. This a dark comedy/horror. Yes, the acting isn't perfect, but it's not terrible either. What it lacks in the acting department it makes up for with fun, bloody mayhem.
  49. Sep 26, 2013
    I loved this movie it was very good and such a badass movie the acting is decent but Sharni Vinson was very good and it's really fun and it's entertaing I certainly enjoyed it
  50. Oct 5, 2013
    Hey I wanna give 7 not 6 for the score! So I just submit new score as 8 to combine with 6 to make 7, do you get that? The movie is not so bad, but some scenes were too cruel.
  51. Jan 8, 2014
    Finally a horror thriller full of blood, suspense, humor and action! the cinematography it's perfect is not the same cliche when the killers are mysterious and only show his face at the end and never are the victims! and Sharni Vinson was perfect.
  52. Jan 28, 2014
    Good film - the story was very tightly told, great pacing, great acting, outstanding action, and the cinematography was awesome. On top of all that, I love how the filmmakers turned the home invasion sub-genre completely upside down. This is the type of film that The Purge wanted so hard to be. In fact, this is the type of film that so many films want to be like. In short, this film is amazing. I watched it twice, something that I rarely do with movies. Expand
  53. Dec 29, 2013
    Good performances, good direction, good plot, good scares, good scenes of blood, the main actress is overwhelming, with a final good over there.......
  54. Jan 16, 2014
    not only was it **** up, but it was **** up in a smart, and often funny way. Its well filmed, the actors are believable and the twist 's are not as predictable as I thought they would be. Its all very well done. Even the gore effects are top notch.
    Bottom line I think You're Next is an A film. And a big delight to most horror fans.
  55. Jan 17, 2014
    This was so well done. It has dark comedy and incredibly violent death scenes that leave you thinking "that couldn't have been better", and those masks are just as disturbing as they are funny. They didn't bother with the likes of Jason Voorhess or Michael Myers. These killers are entirely killable! So you get that same vengeance theme shared by Last House on the Left and I Spit On Your Grave, however, NO RAPE SCENES! This was great fun to watch and I recommend it to any fan of the genre. Expand
  56. Feb 15, 2014
    The unique and mysterious horror comedy that brings back the feeling of Wes Craven's "Scream" Both witty and horrific "You're next" is one brilliant horror film.
  57. Aug 16, 2014
    As someone who is a fan of a lot of horror slasher films its a nice breath of fresh air to watch a film where the leading lady isnt some dumb girl running up the stairs when she should be running out the front door, or is weak, annoying, screaming non stop and manages to survive more on luck than skill.

"You're next" flips the classic slasher movie script and has the leading lady be a
    survival expert who ends up hunting the baddies instead of it being the other way round.

There are a few jump scares but its not scary, in fact the ending becomes a little comedic.
    Some of the acting is a little hit and miss and like most films in this genre there are plot holes you'll just have to ignore, but overall i found it very enjoyable, a nice change.
  58. May 25, 2014
    This was a so-so who-dunnit. My only comment is that A.J. Bowen is too gay to be desired by his co-star. Mom/Dad's acting weak. Wd like to see what happens in You're Next Part Deux.
  59. Aug 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Terrible acting. Decent plot. The characters continuous screaming and yelling gave me a legit headache and made me want to turn it oft but i needed to see if it got better. Thank god i didn't spend the money to see it in the theatres or i may have left.

The mother obviously had some psychological problems which lead me to feel bad for her, and why would you leave her alone if that's the case!? Anyways, that was taken care of quite fast. One less screaming baby.

The plot was decent, somewhat thought out but there are already so many movies with the same 'twist and turns' the exact same plot. A little frustrating to say the least. Glad i saw it but wouldn't watch it again.

Shut the F up, stop screaming and doing idiodic things.
  60. Sep 2, 2014
    It's not the best horror film of the year, but it's certainly the most entertaining. You're Next is a nice return-to-form for the slasher genre, and it's filled with dark humor and blood. I highly recommend it.

1. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Aug 28, 2013
    Wingard’s film is its own subset of fractious family crazy.
  2. Reviewed by: Anna Smith
    Aug 27, 2013
    A solid watch for gore fans.
  3. Reviewed by: Bilge Ebiri
    Aug 26, 2013
    Maybe, in another time and place, and with different actors and a better director, it might have worked. But this thing collapses right from the get-go.