• Network: FOX
  • Series Premiere Date: Nov 6, 2001
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
8.8

1. Apr 28, 2014
    To me, a show cannot be suspenseful if events don't feel natural. If the invisible hand of the writers is present in every episode of the season, we already know the biggest spoiler of all: the show has writers. These writers want people to keep watching the show, so they will make every episode as suspenseful as possible. If you KNOW there will be suspense, the suspense is no longerTo me, a show cannot be suspenseful if events don't feel natural. If the invisible hand of the writers is present in every episode of the season, we already know the biggest spoiler of all: the show has writers. These writers want people to keep watching the show, so they will make every episode as suspenseful as possible. If you KNOW there will be suspense, the suspense is no longer suspenseful, because it's expected. In 24, the pen truly is mightier than the sword (and terrorists, and bombs, and logic/reason, and physics, etc.).

Jack won't die; we know this. So when someone holds a gun to Jack's head, we think, "Well, he's going to get out of this somehow." Jack won't stay in the same place for one hour without saving the real-time day, so if things look calm for him, it's going to get bad very soon.

More signs that the show is written. Basically no one talks about how tired they are, even though everyone has been up for 36 hours or so. Multiple times, backup will take half an episode or more to get somewhere, but then the characters will get back to base between episodes (so, in zero seconds). Everyone gets kidnapped pretty much constantly, and it is not always the same people doing the kidnapping.

But my biggest complaint, by far, is that there are good guys and bad guys. (If a character was born outside the U.S., there's basically a 100% chance that they fall in the bad guy category.) No one is really grey, and grey characters are, of course, the most interesting because we live in a grey world. 24 is a show to watch if you want to escape reality for a while. Where you ask, "Are they good or bad?" and you might not know the answer yet, but at least you know there IS an answer.

Well sorry 24, but I don't like turning my brain off when I watch TV. I want shows I watch to resonate with me after I've finished them. I want shows to challenge my beliefs, or to make me think deeply, or to present me with interesting analogies. I don't care if any of your characters die, because they are obviously not real people. I know you think we can stay together for another week, 24, but that's just not going to happen.
  2. May 7, 2014
    24, the mother of all ADHD-TV series. There is nothing more to say. I do not know what many like about this series. I find it unbearable. A actionistic action hunting the next. Only Kiefer Sutherland remains true to itself and, as always, consistently unsympathetic.
  3. Jul 1, 2012
    You'll never roll your eyes as much in 24 hours. No joke. There was a lot of hype when 24 was out back in 2001. I don't understand why. It must be past its expiry date because it stinks. The writing is absurd and there's so much of it, that trying to cram it all into a 24 hour time period just makes it even more ridiculous.

1. Reviewed by: James Poniewozik
    Jun 28, 2013
    The most distinctive, addictive new TV series this season. As an old-fashioned thriller, it's relentless, tense and deliciously paranoiac, with more twists than a Twizzler. But it's also boldly different.
  2. Reviewed by: Terry Kelleher
    Jun 27, 2013
    The makers of 24 needn't overuse the split-screen technique to emphasize the onrush of events. Viewers can feel the suspense start to build without seeing the seconds tick off on a digital clock. Give the gimmicks a rest. We're hooked without them.
  3. Reviewed by: Phil Rosenthal