• Network: FX
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 5, 2011
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4
8.3

1. Nov 16, 2012
    American Horror Story is one of the best horror series i watched. First season was awesome,and second season is even better. Nice work,and keep it up.
  2. Jun 26, 2013
    Asylum is scary and disturbing, walking on the same tone of complex and fantasy, mixes science fiction with horror which is great, it is ten times scarier than the first, but less funnier, and short on the slow parts.
  3. Feb 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. American Horror Story is back and there is more horror than ever! Instead of following in the footsteps of the Harmon family like the first season, which was brilliant, we are now taken to a 1960s Briarcliffe; a dark and cruel mental asylum where this year's horror is now taking place. This season shows us many horrors such as aliens, nazis, serial killers and demons, but it faces human problems like racism and other problems. The writing in this season is top-notch and is constantly unpredictable; you expect the season to go one way and it takes you into another. The acting is, as always, brilliant, especially from Jessica Lange and Frances Conroy, who are always fantastic at whatever role they portray. Lily Rabe's Sister Eunice was by-far my favourite character in the series; she had the ability to be completely unlikable and utterly lovable at the same time, and also was menacing and hilarious at the same time as well. Speaking of menacing, Zachary Quinto's Thredson (SPOILER! Who is later revealed to be Bloody Face; one of the main horrors this season) was utterly frightening and disturbing and whenever he made his presence on screen, fear as well as a grin will be brought out from viewers. All together; the acting and the characters were both great. All together, American Horror Story: Asylum is fantastic horror TV that outdoes the last amazing season; though viewers be warner this season will provide grotesque, graphic and shocking moments that will break the boundaries of TV...and that is why American Horror Story is amazing. Looking forward to the next season. Expand
  4. Nov 3, 2012
    The second season exceeds all expectations. There are no limits, everything's possible and no one's safe. All the actors deliver amazing performances (Jessica lange, Lily Rabe...). The addition of The Lovers couple from the present makes the show all more fun and exciting. The writers are so cruel to the characters and soon enough you'll start feeling bad about the worst ones.
  5. Oct 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Asylum starts out strong, trippy, and a bit disgusting (in a good way). Characters this season include many psychopaths, murderers, religious figures, doctors, aliens, and a mysterious "Bloody Face". I can't wait for each week's upcoming episode. Expand
  6. Jan 24, 2013
    Pretty good show. Jessica Lange carries the show. The writing isn't as tight as, say, Breaking Bad but it's okay. Not very scary but entertaining none the less.
  7. Dec 29, 2013
    I do not have much detail to give about this review but I was compelled to write a review. It hit me very emotionally and the characters felt real. I do not watch television/movies very often because I have never been very impressed but this season changed it for me. It made me feel different about my life after watching it, I felt legitimately happy and sad during parts. I cried duringI do not have much detail to give about this review but I was compelled to write a review. It hit me very emotionally and the characters felt real. I do not watch television/movies very often because I have never been very impressed but this season changed it for me. It made me feel different about my life after watching it, I felt legitimately happy and sad during parts. I cried during the last episode; it tied the whole season together VERY well. This is my all time favorite display of media; books, movies, stories, all of it. It can be very graphic but it adds to the realism of the story. I felt though as I had watched a movie or read a book, but I understand why it is a TV series. The emotion could not be captured in simply two hours. Expand
  8. Feb 8, 2014
    Season 2 was way better than season 1. It was really captivating and wasn't "scary." There are some creepy parts, but nothing that would give somebody nightmares.
  9. Aug 31, 2014
    This is the season where everything clicks. Very few shows can pull off comedy, drama and suspense. American Horror Story: Season 2 does all of this flawlessly and adds horror to the mix. I was taken on a journey that comes just a few times in life.
  10. Oct 18, 2012
    This season is going to be a very fun ride! Jessica Lange is fabulous as always, the other returning cast members seem to be doing well with their new roles, and while after the premiere it does seem like a hodgepodge of different spooky story lines, there is no doubt that the show won't stop being one of the most entertaining things on television.
  11. Oct 18, 2012
    American Horror Story: Asylum. I've been waiting for a long time to watch this show. Pilot was a little unusual, but it was likeable. I loved Jessica Lange's performance and the entire production desgin of the asylum is just fabulous. Looking forward to upcoming episodes, this show can do better.
  12. Oct 28, 2012
    If you thought that season one of this show was crazy, this season is bat**** crazy. The writers seem to be throwing all kinds of **** at the ceiling and seeing if any of it sticks.
  13. Nov 19, 2013
    While the cinematography is better than the inaugural season, Asylum is less consistent and gets a little bit too twisty at times. I love twists, but this season keeps too many things hidden for too long that it gets a little bit frustrating to wait for the next episode each week. What I love from the show is its efforts on mixing facts up with fictions that some conspiracy-junkies outWhile the cinematography is better than the inaugural season, Asylum is less consistent and gets a little bit too twisty at times. I love twists, but this season keeps too many things hidden for too long that it gets a little bit frustrating to wait for the next episode each week. What I love from the show is its efforts on mixing facts up with fictions that some conspiracy-junkies out there might actually think that the show is solely based on true events while it really is just making references to popular culture. Expand
  14. Nov 15, 2012
    Good script, tight direction and editing, and an anti-hero sycophant's feast! Love it because it takes subject matter that lends itself to caricature, farce and camp absurdity and elevates it above the B grade refuse that passes for drama these days. Critics will eviscerate it simply because of the title, but their ignorant disdain for an original and captivating series is irrelevant. Enjoy!
  15. Nov 15, 2012
    Just finished watching last night's episode with the good Psychiatrist and his lampshade making hobby. Gotta say, compared to last season, this seems like a really stupid mish-mash of scary movie rip-offs (Exorcist, Silence of the Lambs, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, with a sprinkle of Nazi's, aliens and monsters thrown in for good measure) with no real substance to the story line. TheJust finished watching last night's episode with the good Psychiatrist and his lampshade making hobby. Gotta say, compared to last season, this seems like a really stupid mish-mash of scary movie rip-offs (Exorcist, Silence of the Lambs, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, with a sprinkle of Nazi's, aliens and monsters thrown in for good measure) with no real substance to the story line. The first season slowly built an interesting and compelling story, whereas this season only seems interested in shocking people with it's 'grossness' each week (i.e., what scary thing can we do to people next? Oh, Lobotomy, cut off their limbs, sterilize them). SO NOT IMPRESSED. If it doesn't get better soon, I'm not going to watch it anymore. Expand
  16. Jan 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I absolutely loved the first Season it was good horror show for those who appreciate horror. Season 2 the Asylum begun as hardcore horror it was visceral, grotesque, traumatic and definitely not for the squeamish. I was quite sickened at times through its approach to horror, although this is what good horror should do, make the viewer horrified and cringe. As this season dragged on and on. It became more and more repetitive becoming implausible, almost as insane as the inmates themselves. Drawing the viewer into absolute boredom away from all the starting shock treatment they had received from its first episodes. Upon the episodes leading to the final and finale I am absolutely disgusted at the way this series has robbed my time going for trauma to utter crap. The final was in the effect of happily ever after, and never never land. I was no longer no horrified but enraged. Everything in its ending was drawn up to a neat close no loose ends in a ditched effort to appease audiences who never where its fans. What should have been a hardcore ending was some wimpy kid dying in his mother arms from the **** killing him. Seriously, CMON now? They could have done something horrific in the effect of. Lange that evil nun granny, being found in a pile of feces murmuring her last words to the reporter from her leper body as she squawks her finale dying breath with death laughing at her. Kit's children were created by aliens, why not have them kill the Cardinal in some apocalyptic way after Kit was abducted. The evil reporter **** should have been killed by BloodyFace 2, no doubt about that. He should have do this in some horrible, visceral way, then ending with him being lead to an asylum. Then it would have completed this seasons circle, or at least dying in a double KO in his mothers arms drinking that milk he never had. Season 3 is coming later this year I have lost all faith in this ****y horror. The french are some of the best at horror they don't hold their punches back, or maybe go read a Ketchum to get a better idea of evil. This Hollywood crap is ridiculous. I can only assume next season will be shot using Blair Witch camera's, using paranormal activity effects, and the hero will be played by a cow ending with moo. They really should write Old MacDonalds farm instead of making a horror series. When it ends in that happily ever after, never never land. The thing I hate the most about this episode is that a lot of **** blogs are praising this episode as it epitomised evil, yea right . The only evil thing it did was anyone who doesn't agree with their weak review doesn't have their say. What an awful series which had some starting promise but then became weaker, and weaker. The only horror was afflicting the viewer with boredom Expand
  17. Mar 8, 2013
    one of the most surreal crazy tv show.... got every horror genre in it, alien, ghost, creatures, mad scientist, demons yet somehow, everything is kept tight..... looooooove it....
  18. Dec 13, 2012
    American Horror Story: Asylum is hands down, the best dramatic show on TV. Very fresh, fast paced, entertaining, surprising with great acting, ballsy script writing, great direction, and cinematography. All other dramas on TV are garbage when compared to this monumentally amazing show. Jessica Lange is amazing, but where is the nominations for everyone else on the show?! I feel likeAmerican Horror Story: Asylum is hands down, the best dramatic show on TV. Very fresh, fast paced, entertaining, surprising with great acting, ballsy script writing, great direction, and cinematography. All other dramas on TV are garbage when compared to this monumentally amazing show. Jessica Lange is amazing, but where is the nominations for everyone else on the show?! I feel like all other shows on TV have no balls, and don't take any risks. Asylum has a very awesome sense of twisted humor. AHSA can be quite frightening, but in a very excitingly chilling way. A MUST WATCH! Expand
  19. Jan 26, 2013
    American Horror Story: Asylum was a crazy and freaky ride, but a great plot line that became a swift denouement that couldn't really catch its feet after the midseason break.
  20. Dec 22, 2013
    Halfway through this season and I'm scared outta my mind. The friggen beginning is scary too lol.
    Super good and amazing actors. The horror, gore, twist and turns, it's "insane" pun intended.
    Very good and crazy show.
  21. May 5, 2014
    I watched all 12 episodes of AHS season one and like a good book,i couldn't putt down.
    But was I ever disappointed in season two.
    I want Violet back! and the housekeeper!
    There was never anything close to the originality of season,two,but after buying only2 of AHS Season 2,I won't buy anymore nor watch anymore.
    Season two is a horror in itself.Shame on you for cheap old used tricks!
  22. Sep 24, 2014
    The second season is the best, really, the first is too weak and the third is to confused, i hope now with freakshow That We have other best season, cause this season all have to be the BEST
  23. Nov 4, 2014
    The second season of American Horror Story is titled Asylum. This season takes place in an insane asylum in the 1960s. This season focuses on possession, aliens, and brutal brutal serial killers.
    Asylum is the best season in my opinion.
    Asylum is the best season in my opinion.
    This season is more of a psychological mind **** After watching Sister Mary Eunice mount Monsignor Timothy Howard and ask him if it feels like a warm wet glove I needed to take a shower!!!! The second season is SO DARK, but it gives us real human emotions too. The acting (as always) is amazing. This season may be one of the greatest seasons in any television show.
  24. Oct 8, 2014
    Is American Horror Story: Asylum as good as Murder House? No. However, Asylum is full of surprises and full of dark, terrifying moments that force you to look away from the screen. The writing is good; damned good actually, and the talent backs it up 6,000 percent. My only complaint is that the plot comes together very strangely, and in a lot of cases it fails to make sense, but that'sIs American Horror Story: Asylum as good as Murder House? No. However, Asylum is full of surprises and full of dark, terrifying moments that force you to look away from the screen. The writing is good; damned good actually, and the talent backs it up 6,000 percent. My only complaint is that the plot comes together very strangely, and in a lot of cases it fails to make sense, but that's only with a small handful of characters. Expand
  25. Oct 18, 2012
    There were moments in the episode where I didn't quite get it: the opening scene with the couple breaking into the Asylum seemed pointless, and the alien invasion scene, which to me didn't quite fit the story. Besides that I thought the episode stayed true to what 'American Horror Story' is, a fun, campy, and unusual series that you can't help but watch.
  26. Nov 25, 2012
    I definitely like where they have taken the show this season. They have really cranked it up a couple notches. Makes me wondering where Season 3 is going to go. I mean it is a little all over the places, but they stay focused with their crazy storytelling and try to only go so far before bringing it back in. Very interested in seeing how this will all play out in the end.
  27. Jan 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Acting is ok, Nothing to really complain about. The story is fine as well but my biggest problem with it is that not all questions were answered by the end of the season and it's rather frustrating sitting through an entire season to still have unanswered questions (mainly involving the aliens). The show definently fades in the second half and the whole son of bloody-face plot was just plain stupid, and rather predictable as well, It could have been a lot better. Poor writing definently ruined this season imo. Expand
  28. May 18, 2013
    An overcomplicated, and rather tedious followup to a fun and intriguing first season. I hated season two of this show. The acting is still good, and there are some scares here and there, but this season never manages to lift off the ground. The story is schizophrenic, and has no real vision of what it is trying to be. I know I am in the minority here, but seriously this season left aAn overcomplicated, and rather tedious followup to a fun and intriguing first season. I hated season two of this show. The acting is still good, and there are some scares here and there, but this season never manages to lift off the ground. The story is schizophrenic, and has no real vision of what it is trying to be. I know I am in the minority here, but seriously this season left a bad taste in my mouth. I won't watch season three. Disappointed. Expand
  29. Jan 9, 2015
    Season 2 is about 50 times better than Season 1. It starts off extremely slowly paced and doesn't really pack a punch until about half way through, but man... that second half is stuff of nightmares. The darkest and most well-made season of them all... Asylum is truly awesome.

1. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    Nov 1, 2012
    Does it add up to a coherent whole? Impossible to say so far. Asylum is, in its opening episodes, more energetic and impishly funny than its predecessor.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Oct 25, 2012
    It's dark, big-top sadism, and we wait for a story to emerge. [5 Nov 2012, p.41]
  3. Reviewed by: Gail Pennington
    Oct 17, 2012
    Like a good scare? How about a bad scare? Or a thousand scares, good and bad and crazy? Season 2 of "American Horror Story," subtitled Asylum, is for you.