• Network: FX
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 14, 2010
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5
9.0

1. Feb 7, 2011
    Here's the thing that makes Archer so great to watch: LAYERS. This show rewards the viewer by delivering a show that works better and better the more you watch it. The first time you watch an episode it'll make you laugh just with the funny double entendres, crisp animation showing a prostitute loving secret agent blowing the hell out of some bad guys, and the great quips from some pretty amazing voice artists. But this show really shines when you begin to notice all the attention to detail in the script. Almost every episode will start a new inside joke that will build to a great payoff. Or the all of the subtle references the show throws out that you don't need to get in order to enjoy the show, but will make a rewatch just as good as the first time around. This happens a lot.... they'll throw out a reference, you'll have no idea who they're talking about, then you'll randomly see that persons name and be like "Hey that was on Archer!" The show is great. You can relax and laugh at all the easier stuff or you can pay a little more attention and get these much more clever jokes that are begging to be noticed....

No matter how you watch it, the show delivers.
  2. Mar 28, 2011
    One of the greatest shows on TV now. Constantly funny with tons and tons of background jokes. The world they created is a weird twist between Cold War USA and a modern world in which cell phone can have hip hop ring tones titled "Mulatto Butts"
  3. Feb 7, 2011
    Very funny. The voicework is phenomenal, the animation is striking, and the dialogue is witty and filled with double entendres that whiz past by the second. The jokes are fast and sometimes hidden, so this is a show that requires attention.
  4. Mar 22, 2011
    Hysterical! The direction and writing for this show are superb. They have got the timing and personalities of the characters down pat. Each episode is wonderful in it's own sick and twisted way, throwing in hilarious running jokes and out of nowhere situations. Highly reccomend!
  5. Mar 27, 2012
    Better than the first season, it's funnier, more action packed, and the characters are better, so if you liked the first season you'll love this one even more, you will be rolling on the floor, but don't let this one around kids, a must watch.
  6. Mar 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Archer is killing it this season. From the Wee Baby Shamus arc to amping up the sheer WTF factor, Archer is making season 2 great. The only problem is it only comes on once a week. Between Archer and Justified FX has two of the best shows on television right now. Expand
  7. Mar 13, 2011
    Hilarious, sarcastic, and ridiculous. In other words, the best adult animated comedy I've ever seen. The voice acting is top-notch, especially for Archer himself. Henry Jon Benjamin's congested take on a secret agent never fails to entertain. The rest of the cast is filled with notable talent. The plots are ridiculous compilations of spy film cliches, office conflicts, and general shenanigans. If you're a fan of animated comedies (or just comedy) you should check it out. Expand
  8. Apr 22, 2011
    [Warning: There are quite mild spoilers in here, but only of a thematic nature]

Here is the thing about this show: no matter who you are, unless you are Adam Reed, you need to watch this show multiple times to get every little joke, be it an oblique reference to Frisky Dingo (such as the mentioning of hydraulic fluid, delayed cessation of a car alarm via a remote clicker by a character
    who is high above said car when something crushes it and sets off the alarm, or just the use of bu-bup!), a surprise cameo, even if short-lived (like casting Clarke Peters, who played Lester in The Wire, for a 4th tier character who has all of like 4 lines in one episode), to simply some of the best, most subtle and most visual humor on television, with none of the dry awkwardness that has come to dominate (annoyingly) so much of comedy on television.

This show manages to go from brilliant historical reference to absurd pop culture reference to smart literary reference, back to a dick joke, and then on to a new type of strange and disturbing/enticing/unorthodox humor that has, in my opinion, already catapulted Adam Reed into the absolute upper echelons of strict comedy writing. As far as laughs/minute goes, this show can go toe to toe with anything. And unlike many comedy shows, frequent re-watching lead not to stale jokes and punchlines which have lost their punch, but rather an ability to first notice all the small, silly, very subtle little jokes (often just a part of an animation in the corner of the screen for a few frames), so that by the end you are actually laughing much more on the upteenth viewing than you ever even would have been able to in an initial view.

People like to look to Larry David as the master of being able to present a theme or catalyst in an episode, and then build a plot around it, without seeming to, growing and growing, bringing back the key catalytic component at crucial times, and often the ultimate scene (if not, most certainly the penultimate). Seinfeld does this, but then it was more intentionally heavy-handed, Curb Your Enthusiasm tries to be more subtle, but in my opinion flags the usual types of typical orbits that these plot devices will take around the main characters. With Archer, anyone will tell you that saying you don't see it coming doesn't even begin to grasp it. I just finished watching the finale of the 2nd season, after which I watched the entire 2nd season again. Let me tell you, down to the finale, there are references to some of the more cringe-worthy jokes in subsequent episodes with a surgeon's precision, being able to bring out the humor while excising any grossness. There is no toilet humor in archer, really (though there is some humor on/involving toilets), which just cements this as my favorite animated show on TV right now. There really isn't anything in the same league even.
  9. May 12, 2011
    Literally the most hilarious show on TV today. 9 out of 10 people will love it, and 1 will hate it, like my girlfriend. She just doesn't see the humor, but to me, the wittiness of it, the jokes over jokes over jokes, the sarcastic tone of just about everyone on the show. Every character stands out, every flaw, every strength, it's literally a full on caricature of a live TV show. I love it.
  10. May 26, 2011
    The definition of "deadpan" in any dictionary goes "the quality of saying something amusing while affecting a serious manner". Well, one can take this whole sentence and replace it with "Archer (TV animated series)". This is what this show does consistently well: take any serious matter (say, cancer!) and have its way with it. Even if the genre of spy spoof has been done to death, nowhere are the lines delivered with such aplomb and gusto as in this show. I dare anyone with at least one tiny funny bone in their body to watch it and not at least chuckle all the way through. Expand
  11. Dec 30, 2011
    I think that this show has gotten better, especially with regards to the development of the secondary characters. I mean really the kidnapping episode is just laugh out loud funny. As with the first season I immediately bought the episodes from iTunes so I can watch them again, and I have. It is just a "sterling" show.
  12. Jul 14, 2011
    I thought it couldn't get any better that the first season and it was ten folds better! The greatest animated comedy on TV for me... Never have I seen a group of characters so Hilarius and well developed... hats off to the creator..
  13. May 3, 2013
    This show is great in the sense that you need to re-watch it in order to catch everything. There are literally so many great jokes and stories that you need to watch an episode twice to just get all of them. I love how they actually develop stories, unlike other animated comedies that are simply one-shot episodes. Props to Archer for delivering on all of my wishes for a good and goofy animated comedy! Expand
  14. Feb 11, 2014
    Though less humorous than season 1 it makes up for it in depth of storyline and character development. It brings the regular characters together bonding them in extreme and absurd yet believable circumstances.
  15. Apr 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Another perfect season of archer. It gets a little dull when Archer gets cancer, but is hilarious. Still funnier than Family Guy and South Park or any animated comedy. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Mar 4, 2011
    In its second season, the spy parody remains my favorite animated series, thanks to its retro visual design--this is a cartoon for the age of Mad Men--and the vicious, dead-aim put-downs that make up most of the dialogue. [14 Mar 2011, p.42]
  2. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    Feb 3, 2011
    The other six episodes I've seen have their ups and downs, but that's kind of the nature of the beast with comedies that push the outer edge of the envelope of taste and common decency; their batting average will be lower than their comedy peers, but their slugging percentage will be higher.
  3. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Feb 3, 2011
    Archer hits the comedy bull's-eye with smart, provocative writing.